Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
CuriousParker

Pit Bulls And Parolees

And I don't think Country Matt has been paroled yet - wasn't his brother teasing him about it, and when he was moving to New York I think he had to get permission from his parole officer?

Earl certainly knows what he is talking about, because he fell back into drugs for a while after he got off of parole - seems like now he has really cleaned up his life.

Edited by RoxiP
  • Like 1

On 3/2/2020 at 8:22 AM, RoxiP said:

And I don't think Country Matt has been paroled yet - wasn't his brother teasing him about it, and when he was moving to New York I think he had to get permission from his parole officer?

Earl certainly knows what he is talking about, because he fell back into drugs for a while after he got off of parole - seems like now he has really cleaned up his life.

To be fair, Earl was in a lot of pain due to his arm and got into pain meds for relief. After rehab and his surgery he seems to be doing well. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

To be fair, Earl was in a lot of pain due to his arm and got into pain meds for relief. After rehab and his surgery he seems to be doing well. 

I agree - I don't care what mistakes people have made in the past - it is what they do with their lives afterward that really matters.

Come to think of it, wasn't there also a spell when Country Matt got a little to full of himself and was going out and not showing up for work?  It must be hard for these guys who have spent a portion of their lives being totally restricted to then have to go back out in the world and make good choices - choices that they may or may not have been shown the right way in the first place.  I like that Tia has been shown working with some of the parolees - putting them in circumstances where temptation is not as easy to fall into (moving them to the country location).  She truly cares about them long-term.

• Like 2

Tonight is the two hour season finale, but they'll have special episodes for the next two Saturdays.

There is a Q & A with Tia on their Facebook page.    They were renewed for next season, and are already filming.       Some shows (because of editing, dubbing, etc needed) can take up to a year to hit the air.       Tia is divorced from A.J. (or whatever his name was).  

As many suspected, they usually only show three dogs doing a meet and greet for each adopter, but the potential adopter usually meets many dogs.   

They just ran a short preview of the next season, which debuts in the Fall.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1

Yeah, some of that preview stuff has me scratching my head......

4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

As many suspected, they usually only show three dogs doing a meet and greet for each adopter, but the potential adopter usually meets many dogs. 

Yeah, Tia has said that before, that producers just choose three to include in the episode.

4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Tia is divorced from A.J. (or whatever his name was).  

Aren Jackson.  It's been clear they were split up for quite a while, but as far as I know this is the first time she's confirmed it.

I didn't realize the episode started an hour early tonight until about 20 minutes in, so at least I got to see most of it. 

Poor Walt!  (And Poor Lizzy running around in that heat while pregnant.)  His adrenaline crash meaning he finally just could not go on anymore was heartbreaking; like Lizzy said, she hated to do that to him, but he was in danger from some of the neighbors and needed medical attention - they had to do the temporary harm to save him long term.  It's a shame long term isn't all that long.  But like Lizzy said, the last thing he'll feel is love and happiness, not fear and pain.  It's so beautiful that he learned how to be a dog (after he remained so skittish with the woman who'd been feeding him); thank goodness for Elise bringing him into her home.  And he gave them all one of those second winds they need to keep going; Walt's time with them will never be forgotten, no matter how short it winds up being.

I'm so glad the woman who got Adam away from his shitty owner followed up, and then reached out to VRC when the shelter was going to kill him.  How great that he's slated for the PA prison program if he continues to improve.  I love when Tia talks about how inaccurate temperament testing in a shelter, especially after only a couple of days, is.  If the shelter my cat Riley was in for five months euthanized animals for being scared, she'd have been toast.  She hid inside a box in her cage for those five months, despite all their efforts at socialization.  She was terrified and sad (her owner had died, and she and the five other cats brought in by the family were all varying degrees of mess [she was the only one left when I went in], so I don't think they had a great life), and they had to do force feedings and IV fluids a few times when they just couldn't get her to eat enough even by offering baby food and home-cooked treats.  She barely responded when I offered her my hand to smell in the cage, and when they brought her out and put her on my lap, she shook like an earthquake.  So of course she's who I decided to adopt.

When I got her home, she ran behind/under my stove (where I didn't even know a cat could fit).  I got her out from there and shut her in my office.  I let her be for about an hour, then came in and sat down on the floor.  After a few minutes, she came out to thoroughly sniff me, and then plopped down in my lap.  I called the person I'd been dealing with at the shelter to tell her, and she cried.  It took plenty of work and patience to get Riley to where she wasn't still scared of everything in the world other than me, but she was a completely different cat from the beginning just by getting back to a home environment.

Angelina's situation shows the lasting effect that can result from heartworm; she made it through the treatment, but the damage done by the disease is delaying treatment for her other disease, because her heart and lungs make the surgery she needs have to be done a little at a time, rather than being able to go in and get all the cancer at once.  So much can be avoided with a preventative.  I wish some rich southerner would sponsor a program to provide it for free.

Logan's doggy door training was funny.  I know some just barrel right through them, but I understand his why would I ram my head into this flimsy window? attitude about the flap.  Great idea of Mariah at the home visit to make all of them the reward for going through.  He's a friendly, eager dude, so I knew the kids were going to love him as much as the parents did.  If you like dogs, you're going to love Logan.  It never fails to make me smile when a kenneled dog runs around her/his new yard, so thrilled at having all that off-leash open space.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2

I was so happy to read in the updates at the end that Walt was still alive and being spoiled rotten.  He broke my heart.  The dog door training brought back memories of my first dog.  It took awhile because whenever I'd get him through it, he'd be startled like he thought he had just fallen out of the side of the house.  He eventually got it, though.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Tia posted an update on Walt today on Facebook.  She said he lives like a king!

• Like 8

And yet my bunny taught himself to come in the cat door - imagine my surprise one night when I was lying on my bedroom floor and here came the bunny hopping into my bedroom - he had followed the cat through the door plastic flap and all!  Unfortunately he never was potty trained so while he was always welcomed in for a visit he didn't get to stay for very long!

We have a tiny puppy that we are hoping does not notice the cat door because we fear that she would get picked up by an owl or larger predatory bird if she was outside by herself.

• Like 2

On 3/7/2020 at 7:18 PM, Bastet said:

but he was in danger from some of the neighbors and needed medical attention - they had to do the temporary harm to save him long term.

That is one of the toughest things that animal rescuers have to do. But it is absolute genuine unselfishness that takes balls of steel and a heart full of love. 

• Like 1

I enjoyed the "Where Are They Now" recap show this past Saturday, and loved getting an update on Roxy dog and her owner.  

My favorite dog of all time will still be Creature.  He just had that amazing face!

• Like 4

13 hours ago, RoxiP said:

I enjoyed the "Where Are They Now" recap show this past Saturday, and loved getting an update on Roxy dog and her owner.  

My favorite dog of all time will still be Creature.  He just had that amazing face!

That reunion and subsequent story always make me cry tears of joy.

7 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

That reunion and subsequent story always make me cry tears of joy.

You know when something brings Tia Torres to tears of joy that it was extraordinary!  

• Like 4

OMG!! This episode Moments that Made Us Laugh was great!! I laughed so hard...just what I needed amid all the chaos happening all around. Thank you PB&P for a moment of levity!!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

OMG!! This episode Moments that Made Us Laugh was great!! I laughed so hard...just what I needed amid all the chaos happening all around. Thank you PB&P for a moment of levity!!

Yes!  A great combination of old and new (to us) funny moments.

I greatly enjoyed reliving Country Matt and Earl in the grocery store, when vegetable-averse Earl said they could make cabbage into spinach if they put it in the blender and Matt said, "It won't turn into spinach, Bubba, it'll just turn into blended cabbage."

Blanche learning to navigate those splints will never not be funny, and the "we can't pronounce French names" segment it was incorporated into this time was funny.

And I laughed at trying to get Lucky in the moving overhead shot for the opening credits, only to have him try to eat the jib ("How much is that camera worth, because I don't have that kind of money" 🙂 ) and get the "Looking for a Home" dogs to settle down - and the VRC peeps to learn their lines - to record those segments.

I liked the montage of "____ testing" they had to do based on potential adopters' circumstances, especially Earl jogging with Tamale.

"Grab the bulls by the balls" in introducing the kids' foibles was funny.  And I'll take Mariah's word for it she's better with power tools than she and Tania came off in that segment (which I remember, mostly for Tania's "I cannot believe I raised these two" reaction).  I chuckled at Tania, having completely forgotten her husband's birth date, trying to ditch him so Kanani could take measurements to surprise him with a soundproofed music room.  And how Perry repeatedly asking about cooking a pig forcing Tania to admit to a producer she eats bacon and ham.

Snowball hating Tia was amusing - Tia was the only person other than her owner who could get anywhere near Roxy Mama, Grumpy Old Man Arnold hates everyone but Tia, and all manner of terrified dogs have trusted her.  But Snowball will lick other people head to toe but hates her.  Ha!

Finding out Tania spent a good bit of time living in a bear suit, and Mariah stealing it for revenge, was a good ending.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 4

This was such a good episode so perfectly timed for the real world that we are now living in. I just can't like it enough!! It is really amazing the weight it has lifted off me...

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 3

That was amazing that cute, fluffy Snowball hated Tia for no reason.    I had to laugh at the crew surprising Lizzy on her way to the ladies room, and she wet her pants.  

• Like 2

I'm kindly inquiring about these two things and I'm hoping someone could enlighten me:

How much does the Tia Torres family make anually from being on Animal Planet?

Why are there no female parolees in Tia's program?

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, chenoa333 said:

I'm kindly inquiring about these two things and I'm hoping someone could enlighten me:

How much does the Tia Torres family make anually from being on Animal Planet?

Why are there no female parolees in Tia's program?

Thanks in advance!

That is an interesting question, I never thought of that before. They do have many female volunteers working there but no parolees as far as I can remember. Maybe because her husband originally set up the idea/program they were more concerned with the recidivism of male parolees no females were approached. Or maybe males were more likely to be OK with cleaning up dog shit and their kennels where females could probably get housekeeping/waitress jobs. That sounds sexist I know and I don't mean to be...but who knows??? 

• Like 1

An even bigger factor in supporting the rescue than the income from the show producers, is that when the new episodes start airing, the donations really go up.    Plus, the producers fund some of the out of state adoptions they film too.  The tavern, the rescue store in the French Quarter, and other sales are another way to fund the rescue too.    

Tia has answered the female parolees question before.  Unfortunately, I can't remember what she said.  At all; it could have been "we do, they just haven't been profiled on the show" or "we don't and here's why"; I literally have no recollection of the answer, just a clear memory that it was asked and answered.  And I can't find anything with a quick internet search, which probably means it was a Facebook Q&A or something like that, sent to me by a friend who uses social media and passes tidbits along to me.

1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

An even bigger factor in supporting the rescue than the income from the show producers, is that when the new episodes start airing, the donations really go up.

Yes, this I distinctly remember Tia noting several times, how donations decrease when the show is on hiatus (out of sight, out of mind).  Every time a new crop of episodes pop up, I'm excited for my viewing pleasure, and also because I know it's going to result in increased donations.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

An even bigger factor in supporting the rescue than the income from the show producers, is that when the new episodes start airing, the donations really go up.    Plus, the producers fund some of the out of state adoptions they film too.  The tavern, the rescue store in the French Quarter, and other sales are another way to fund the rescue too.    

Saw FB post that the Tahyo(sp) gift shop has closed - a victim of the covid shut-down. The resturant is still hanging on, but not the gift shop 😢 Post does say that gift shop items can still be ordered online http://www.thetahyo.com/?fbclid=IwAR2pMVKATC_EQ5lcRtSM0xwHNnd0vTuGA794KsqCoEvabOz5G_ks5JgBQHA

Edited by SRTouch
  • Sad 2

New Orleans has really been locked down.  Maybe the gift shop will reopen later.    New Orleans was a real hot spot for Covid, and a lot of people left.    Maybe the online store will be more profitable without the rental and overhead a physical location needs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

New Orleans has really been locked down.  Maybe the gift shop will reopen later.    New Orleans was a real hot spot for Covid, and a lot of people left.    Maybe the online store will be more profitable without the rental and overhead a physical location needs. 

Yes, the FB post addresses those points. IIRC, it says the location of the shop in the French Quarter was pretty much at the center of the Mardi Gras outbreak and one of the first areas shut down. Also, post did not rule out eventually reopening the shop once the dust settles. 

Edited by SRTouch
  • Like 1