Type keyword(s) to search

Pit Bulls And Parolees - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Oh I am such an idiot. These crossover shows tend to strain my brain. It was the camera man at Panda Paws that adopted Everly. Happy to see that Bean got a great home. My old brain can only digest oh so much info before flaking out. I will be 76 on Thanksgiving so please give me a break on my mix-up.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
25 minutes ago, nitrofishblue said:

I have been a volunteer at the local spca since 2002. I have been taking photos since 2005. Their tips have helped the entire photo team calm the dogs so we get good pictures. They are in it for the long haul not for personal gain. I love that and it comes through in the show.

That is so cool, @nitrofishblue.  I watched a short-lived series on NatGeoWild called "Pupparazzi"  about Kaylee Greer, a photographer who does glamour shots of dogs for profit, but always visits local shelters and takes great photos of their dogs for free.  I loved seeing how she got the dogs comfortable for their photo sessions, and the pictures were awesome.

With so many people searching for pets on the internet, it's important to get great pictures for that vital first impression.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, nitrofishblue said:

Oh I am such an idiot. These crossover shows tend to strain my brain. It was the camera man at Panda Paws that adopted Everly. Happy to see that Bean got a great home. My old brain can only digest oh so much info before flaking out. I will be 76 on Thanksgiving so please give me a break on my mix-up.

Since I watch both shows and had just finished reading the Amanda forum, I didn't even notice until you pointed it out 

• Love 1

I thought his nick-name was Mutt? Maybe my old ears didn't hear right?

ETA: Crikey It's the Irwins had a sad story tonight too. My feel good Saturday shows aren't doing it tonight...

Edited by Gramto6
Had another thought.
  • Love 1
On 10/19/2019 at 10:09 PM, Bastet said:

Between a phone call and football, I missed sections of tonight's episode, but it's nice seeing rescues help each other.  Last episode a small rescue helped VRC, this time VRC helped a small rescue.  Everybody is just doing the best they can, and it's heartwarming.  "This is going to sound so un-Tia Torres like, but you just want to hug them." Heh.  Lugosi is going to have quite the pack to hang with.

I know we've seen Krunch before, but I think we've seen Molly-O, too.  I hope this is finally it for Krunch!  Earl taking him for one last burger together was sweet, and I like the update photo of his pillow nests.

It was neat to briefly revisit some adoptions via the "Out of the Doghouse" map project.  When I adopted my cat Riley, she was quite a case; she was one of five disasters at intake (the owner had died and family surrendered them) and had been at the shelter for five months, spending that whole time hiding in a box inside her cage, even though they put her through the socialization program.  She was terrified of everything, they had a terrible time getting her to eat - she just was never going to thrive in that environment.  So of course I picked her, and she took a lot of patience and different techniques than I was used to (she was my first scaredy-cat), but she's now incredibly happy, and the cuddliest cat I have ever had (only with me, though; she has long since stopped being afraid of other people, but she's either annoyed or indifferent, depending on who it is).

Anyway, the point is I sent updates as she progressed to the shelter volunteer I'd dealt with, and she'd forward my emails to the others.  She always told me how it made their day, so hearing Lizzy say whenever she disseminates updates she gets replies saying, "Thank you, I was having a shitty day and needed this" made me think I should send another update.  I had stopped, because there wasn't anything new to report, but if a cute picture and "we're still blissfully happy together" could brighten the day of someone doing a job as difficult as it is admirable, I'm going to do it.

I recently sent a photo of my older cat, now 8 years old, cuddling with his younger adopted brother, to the foster mom who cared for him before I adopted him.  It's been about 4 years since I last sent an update, and she was thrilled to get it.  There is a feral cat rescue called Tiny Kittens in Canada that prefers, though does not mandate, that people put up Facebook pages for their adoptees because they have a 24 x 7 livestream and people get invested in these kittens and cats.  I think rescuers love to know on an ongoing basis that their charges are doing well.

• Love 7
On 12/1/2019 at 6:48 AM, brilliantbreakfast said:

I recently sent a photo of my older cat, now 8 years old, cuddling with his younger adopted brother, to the foster mom who cared for him before I adopted him.  It's been about 4 years since I last sent an update, and she was thrilled to get it.  There is a feral cat rescue called Tiny Kittens in Canada that prefers, though does not mandate, that people put up Facebook pages for their adoptees because they have a 24 x 7 livestream and people get invested in these kittens and cats.  I think rescuers love to know on an ongoing basis that their charges are doing well.

What a beautiful adoption/rescue story. Thank you for sharing it. I love dogs but cats are so overlooked, misunderstood but they make great companions and ARE affectionate and loving. 

• Love 4

Elise had on a shirt that said "MUTT SLUT" on it!? I don't get it. Didn't they show his newborn baby son being held by his mother.....and Mutt did not live to see the baby? I know they said Elise was really close with Mutt but I didn't think that shirt seemed appropriate. I must be missing something. Fill me in please.

2 minutes ago, Calibabydolly said:

Elise had on a shirt that said "MUTT SLUT" on it!? I don't get it. Didn't they show his newborn baby son being held by his mother.....and Mutt did not live to see the baby? I know they said Elise was really close with Mutt but I didn't think that shirt seemed appropriate. I must be missing something. Fill me in please.

That shirt has been around for quite some time; it's not about Mutt the person, it's about dog mutts -- digging the mixed breeds rather than insisting on purebred.

• Love 5

So totally annoyed that they replaced Pitbulls & Parolees with that two hour "live adoption" show - I didn't like either of the hosts, I thought it was contrived, and it didn't leave me wanting to watch something like that again.  Was there a point to this being on primetime Saturday night?

• Love 3

I finally had a chance to watch the episode that aired Thanksgiving weekend, and it sounds like Mutt was a wonderful person; how tragically sad that he didn't live to see his son.  I love that before he even worked there, just knowing a rescue had moved into the area, he put up that big sign asking people not to set off fireworks because there was a dog rescue nearby.  Sweet Tart has a good temperament for a house with three kids.  "She's nice, and kind, and fluffy".  It's really nice that she'll be not just a pet, but a daily living reminder of Mutt.

LOL at Moe saying teaching Lizzy and getting the project done at the same time is a task.  That's how I feel when I show my non-handy friends how to do something.  I also laughed at Lizzy telling him to stop throwing the screws on the ground, to hand them to her instead, and then saying, "Ow, now I have tetanus" when he did.

Go-Go testing out the new agility equipment was adorable.

When Tiptoe puts weight on and grows into that head, he's going to be a big boy.

• Love 4

New Episodes of PITBULLS & PAROLEES Begin Airing Saturday January 4th 8PM ET/PT

Tia flies into action when she receives a call regarding a crucial rescue for five injured dogs that are victims of an illegal dog fight.  Villalobos receives an incredible opportunity when a Pennsylvania prison offers to take more than 20 dogs and provide inmates with the responsibility of preparing the dogs for adoption. Later this season, Animal Planet audiences will witness the long-lasting impact of PIT BULLS & PAROLEES with a ‘Where Are They Now’ special showcasing updates on some of the most memorable parolees who have stepped through the doors of the rescue center, and fan-favorite dogs that found their forever homes.

I'm looking forward to the "Where Are They Now" episode to see how the former parolees are faring.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, RealityCheck said:

I'm looking forward to the "Where Are They Now" episode to see how the former parolees are faring.

I'm looking forward to that, and the episode that includes the story of the PA prison taking 20 dogs for a program where inmates prepare the dogs for adoption.  I don't know if it's a new program, or an existing one that's expanding.  What I do know is we need more programs in this country where inmates are treated like people, taught a set of skills, given responsibility, and made to feel productive.  Ones that help animals as well - even better.  Every time one is spotlighted and then discussed by those who watched it, it increases the chance someone with the ability to get the ball rolling on implementing one will become aware of the benefits.

• Love 9
On 12/21/2019 at 2:13 PM, Bastet said:

I'm looking forward to that, and the episode that includes the story of the PA prison taking 20 dogs for a program where inmates prepare the dogs for adoption.  I don't know if it's a new program, or an existing one that's expanding.  What I do know is we need more programs in this country where inmates are treated like people, taught a set of skills, given responsibility, and made to feel productive.  Ones that help animals as well - even better.  Every time one is spotlighted and then discussed by those who watched it, it increases the chance someone with the ability to get the ball rolling on implementing one will become aware of the benefits.

I'm pretty sure it's an existing program but I'm not 100% sure. That prison is in my town and I know lots of people who work there. If I hear anything, I'll post. I'm excited to see some good news about my area. Sadly, the Coal Region doesn't have much going for it.

• Love 5

My niece was in prison in Oklahoma where they have a dog training program, but her sentence was too short for her to get in it. I would love to see her move to NO and go to work for Tia, she's not a parolee, but she is an ex-con, unfortunately, she's in "luv" with an idiot. He has pit bulls and she loves them. I don't approve (even though it's none of my business) because he names his dogs for serial killers. I think that's stupid. Pit Bulls already have such a bad rep and naming them for serial killers just contributes to that reputation. Mine is named for a Ferengi on Deep Space Nine, Quark. Such a harmless, cute name. But my Quark endorses one of the Ferengi's main objectives and is probably one of the Rules of Acquisition, "greed is good."

• Love 2

I saw a clip on FB about an upcoming episode with a Labradoodle that was found on the street injured. Without spoiling anything, it was truly hard to watch, especially after they disclosed the source of the injuries. Tia and her family are doing great things in NO and I feel so bad that they are so often exposed to sadness and heartbreak, especially when its caused by the heartlessness/thoughtlessness of other people.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Rlb8031 said:

I saw a clip on FB about an upcoming episode with a Labradoodle that was found on the street injured. Without spoiling anything, it was truly hard to watch, especially after they disclosed the source of the injuries. Tia and her family are doing great things in NO and I feel so bad that they are so often exposed to sadness and heartbreak, especially when its caused by the heartlessness/thoughtlessness of other people.

Sorry, I didn't mean to quote the above.  I wonder if Country Matt will be involved with the PA prison program since he came to Villalobos as a result of such a program.

2 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to quote the above.  I wonder if Country Matt will be involved with the PA prison program since he came to Villalobos as a result of such a program.

Is he in PA now? I thought he and his wife still lived in NY.

2 hours ago, Rlb8031 said:

Tia and her family are doing great things in NO and I feel so bad that they are so often exposed to sadness and heartbreak, especially when its caused by the heartlessness/thoughtlessness of other people.

Truly takes special people to take the heartaches long term without burning out. I used to help care for a feral cat colony, but ended up quitting doing actual day to day care. My oldest cat, Spotty, came from that colony - she's now 18-19. These days, I restrict myself to financial aid and the occasional individual cat that shows up in the yard. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Rlb8031 said:

Is he in PA now? I thought he and his wife still lived in NY.

I do think he and his wife live in New York but since he has traveled back several times to New Orleans I just thought maybe he would be involved with setting up a program like this in some way...or maybe I was just hopeful because I just like Country Matt (one of my friends toured Villalobos and said he was just as nice and cute in person as he is on the show).

15 hours ago, RoxiP said:

He was not mentioned when I asked a prison worker who was there.  Earl, Tia, and (I think) Mariah were there. Not sure about anyone else. I do know they had to stay at the EconoLodge because it was the only hotel that would allow them to stay there with their dogs. They brought their own dogs with them. I was hoping they'd come into my workplace (pharmacy/drugstore) because it's across the street, but no dice 😞

Apparently, they were teasing Earl about being back in prison, lol.

• Love 2

Just watching some marathon (?) called "Our BIGG". The wolf dog rescues and the dogs left in a burned down home. 

All I can say is this $hit (and ANY animal abuse) makes me more certain each day, that there really is no "God".

However, what we do have are some dedicated animal rescue people with love and compassion in their souls for all living beings. 

• Love 2

That was so bizarre when the potential adopters backed out at the last second.    The husband saying the adoption was off, and then the wife calling Tia and saying it was back on a few minutes later was wild.  Tia made the right choice cancelling the adoption.    I hope the new parolee from Massachusetts works out, and does keep on the straight and narrow.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 7
17 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

However, what we do have are some dedicated animal rescue people with love and compassion in their souls for all living beings. 

Those kinds of people are what keep me from giving up on the whole damned human race (just barely).

1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

That was so bizarre when the potential adopters backed out at the last second.    The husband saying the adoption was off, and then the wife calling Tia and saying it was back on a few minutes later was wild.  They made the right choice cancelling the adoption.    I hope the new parolee from Massachusetts works out, and does keep on the straight and narrow.  

Yes, that last minute cancellation back and forth was troubling and perplexing.  Something was very wrong, and Tia was absolutely right in refusing to place the dog in that situation.

I hope the new parolee works out, too.  His son sounds like a very mature and sensible 13 year old; it would be nice if his hopes and wishes for his father would come true.

• Love 8

I only watched during breaks in football play, so I'll have to watch a repeat in its entirety, but the conversation between the Dorchester parolee and his son both warmed and broke my heart; it's lovely that he's using his regrets as motivation to finally be a positive role model for his son, and that the son is rooting for him instead of resenting him, but it's sad to hear the child in a relationship sound like the adult.  That's the kind of motivational speech you're supposed to give as a parent, not get from your adolescent child.  That kid has too much weight on his shoulders, trying to concentrate on school so he can eventually use higher education as a way out of a tough neighborhood and worrying about the father he has grown up without.  I hope he has a great mother and maybe extended family; if he's turned out so well in spite of everything in his life working against him, that would be very impressive but also incredibly sad.

The only thing I saw of the adopters who backed out was the husband making a point of walking around to open his wife's car door, despite her not appearing to have any physical limitations making it difficult for her to do it herself, so I gave him the side eye and went back to football.  I then saw the boat testing, which was adorable -- one would think that dog was born on a boat for how well she took to it.  And finally I saw Tia tell M2 about the it's off/no, it's back on weirdness with the adopters.  I'm glad Tia made the decision for them; if the dog is someone he's going to use as a power play every time they fight (just my supposition, obviously), that's not a good home. 

• Love 8
6 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

that last minute cancellation back and forth was troubling and perplexing.  Something was very wrong, and Tia was absolutely right in refusing to place the dog in that situation.

Absolutely - adoption should be a lifetime committment. So if there's second thoughts, maybe time to back off, wait and rethink. Not saying they may not be one great adopters, just not their time, yet.

**** I should note that I haven't watched the episode yet, so am just going by what I read here

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 3

There was also a possibility, with the canceled/not canceled adoption, that they could have made the trip and then have the adoption canceled when they got there.  Those people were not ready to adopt.

So has Lizzy never been in New Orleans during a hurricane, or was she just responding the way she did because she is now a mother and the enormity of her responsibilities overwhelmed her?  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, RoxiP said:

So has Lizzy never been in New Orleans during a hurricane, or was she just responding the way she did because she is now a mother and the enormity of her responsibilities overwhelmed her?  

I believe she said it was due to her being a mom now

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, blondiek237 said:

I believe she said it was due to her being a mom now

It was just so unusual to see Lizzy have a meltdown that I was surprised.  I guess this season they are going to focus a little more on parolees since last season they seemed almost non-existent, or at least that's what has happened on the first show.  I like her family but I also like to see how the parolees' lives have changed as a result of working with the dogs.

• Love 2

I swear Sebastian seemed like a person living in a dogs body. He has soulful wonderful eyes.

So strange about the adoption/not adoption. Yes, Tia made the right call, that sweet dog is very adoptable and deserves a wonderful home.

Poor Lizzie breaking down.  Even the strongest of women have a moment. and need to 'cleanse' once in awhile.  Bless her and the whole damn crew.

Edited by jnymph
  • Love 6
On 1/6/2020 at 11:13 AM, jnymph said:

Poor Lizzie breaking down.  Even the strongest of women have a moment. and need to 'cleanse' once in awhile.  Bless her and the whole damn crew.

I will always be a fan of this show but can't watch full episodes or watch on a regular basis. It's too sad. And the worst thing is that it's not just pit bulls being subjected to all of these atrocities.... it's all animals. PB&P is just the tip of the iceberg. 

ETA: Just call me Debbie Downer. Lol!

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 2

I'm not yet back in the habit of tuning in for the repeat after football, so I missed the first few minutes to hear the adopter's story.  Keisha little squatty body is adorable, and her hauling it over to her new mommy once in the yard even more so.  And then the zoomies with all that space to run?  Fantastic.

I was also distracted a couple of times and missed some details; how did they wind up with the puppies?  Teaching them how to go up the ramp was cute. 

Bring me the assholes who cropped Aislin's ears, a pair of scissors or whatever crude instrument they used, shut the door, and deny you were ever here.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm not yet back in the habit of tuning in for the repeat after football, so I missed the first few minutes to hear the adopter's story.  Keisha little squatty body is adorable, and her hauling it over to her new mommy once in the yard even more so.  And then the zoomies with all that space to run?  Fantastic.

Not alot of time spent on the backstory..... basically, adopter's pervious dog was special needs (at least blind, maybe also deaf). She lost her previous dog not long ago, house/life empty without a dog, and was ready to adopt. Yes, zoomies in the back yard was wonderful to see 😀

I was also distracted a couple of times and missed some details; how did they wind up with the puppies?  Teaching them how to go up the ramp was cute. 

Owners had 4 adult intact dogs, and were overwelmed with resulting puppy population explosion that resulted when intact dogs did what intact dogs do. Point was made that it was good that owner's turned to animal control for help instead of just dumping the puppies. Not stated, but I hope the owners were helped with spay/neuter.

Bring me the assholes who cropped Aislin's ears, a pair of scissors or whatever crude instrument they used, shut the door, and deny you were ever here.

Episode began with Mariah going to frequent dump site after good Samaritan reported seeing very skittish white dog which became Aislin. Skittish Aislin ran as soon as she saw people, so decision made to set trap, which was quickly successful. As often happens, the very skittish pup quickly turned into a sweetheart once she started trusting people...... and such a beauty with those eyes!

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

Sorry - no can do.  You see, they just made it onto my "kill if I'm dying" list.  And since we're all dying ...

But I will need an alibi, and if my true crime watching years haven't taught me how to get away with murder, a good lawyer.

Edited by walnutqueen
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
On 1/12/2020 at 8:00 AM, walnutqueen said:

Sorry - no can do.  You see, they just made it onto my "kill if I'm dying" list.  And since we're all dying ...

But I will need an alibi, and if my true crime watching years haven't taught me how to get away with murder, a good lawyer.

From all of my years of watch ID channel, and docudramas about true crime, the secret to not getting caught is do everything yourself, bury deep (everyone who buries in a shallow grave gets caught), and don't ever tell anyone.  Not that I'm advocating  jerks who are animal abusers should really get killed, or not exactly. 

Who ever cut that dogs ears off should be run over by a garbage truck.   

I love the home for Keisha.    I hope the puppies all get good homes, and get neutered/spayed on time. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6
17 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

From all of my years of watch ID channel, and docudramas about true crime, the secret to not getting caught is do everything yourself, bury deep (everyone who buries in a shallow grave gets caught), and don't ever tell anyone.  Not that I'm advocating erasing jerks who are animal abusers should really get killed, or not exactly. 

I love the home for Keisha.    I hope the puppies all get good homes, and get neutered/spayed on time. 

Tia made a post on Facebook yesterday that all the pups have been adopted 💑

• Love 10
6 hours ago, nitrofishblue said:

Yes. But I'd rather see them run over by a steam roller. 

I don't know if this still exists (probably does) but the veterinarian clinic I worked at many decades ago, had folks bringing in their young pit bulls/dobies to have the pups infected, mutilated  ears fixed by the vet. Apparently there was some type of stencil pattern you could buy and "do it yourself".  A "do it yourself ear cropping" kit. 

Are there enough steam rollers and garbage trucks to kill every animal abuser? 

• Love 5
41 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Are there enough steam rollers and garbage trucks to kill every animal abuser? 

I certainly hope so.  But if not, I'll take the hit.

Ear and tail docking should be outlawed.  As should owning exotic pets, and breeding any kind of pet until all shelters and rescues are empty.  And, the penalties for animal abuse are not nearly harsh enough. 

[/rant]

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Ear and tail docking should be outlawed.  As should owning exotic pets, and breeding any kind of pet until all shelters and rescues are empty.  And, the penalties for animal abuse are not nearly harsh enough. 

[/rant]

Your entire post is the simple, basic truth. And hopefully, someday, the world will have many more Dr. Jeff's. 

• Love 5
42 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

[/rant]

I couldn't possibly agree with you more. 

• Love 2

Tonight's new episode "Saved From The Fight". Always glad for Tia rescuing these dogs from such horrific abuse but my blood just boils that animal cruelty laws are still so lax and basically worthless. Nothing seems to change😪

• Love 3

Last time I looked animal cruelty is a felony in all states except one, and I bet you can guess which state that is.  

So I wonder how Spencer got out of jail on parole again, when it was a 7 year sentence and his third strike?  Many places a felon in possession of a weapon is an automatic number of years.    I hope he takes the chances that he's getting to keep on the straight and narrow.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6

The dog-fighting asshole ... even Blue Eyes, his "pride and joy", was in terrible shape; it seemed like maybe he hadn't been fought, but even if not, basic care/nutrition was so neglected that his legs are malformed and he has to have his bones surgically broken and reset.

Way to distract the aggressive one with food and sedate him without him even realizing he was being poked.  He's been carrying around a chain that weighs half his body weight - I'd bite people, too!  I hope he becomes adoptable in time, but at least he has a home for life at VRC if he doesn't because he can be handled by a caretaker and is thus not miserable.  It's incredible to me how friendly the others were so quickly, having never known kindness but recognizing and clinging to it immediately.

I'm not sure I've ever seen two kids be so focused on "calm" as their number one desired personality trait in a dog.  Sister was as drawn to kids as I am repelled by them, but once Cranberry came out as the embodiment of a mellow couch potato who is also into kids, I knew the deal was sealed.  I'm glad she finally has a home, and it was hilarious when she was like, "Yeah, yard, great - please open the door to my new house so that I may be where I belong."

And it's nice they used the opportunity to welcome Spencer back by taking him on his first home check (letting him see the happy ending all that warehouse work is geared toward), since it was in-state and he could go.

20 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

So I wonder how Spenser got out of jail on parole again, when it was a 7 year sentence and his third strike?

I was distracted by a phone call for the first 5-10 minutes of the show, but from the bits I half-heard, I got the impression they were afraid the parole violation of having a gun was going to send him away for a long time, but his plea deal wound up being something where he could get out on parole after a shorter time if he qualified, and he did (as it should be).  (I heard "third serious offense" but not "third strike" - again, though, I was only half listening - so I'm not sure what he was actually facing and looking to plead down from.)

• Love 6
On 1/12/2020 at 9:00 AM, walnutqueen said:

Har  har, I’ll defend you, Walnut, esp since you are one of my fellow Dateline crossover buddies.