Type keyword(s) to search

Pit Bulls And Parolees - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I’m catching up on three weeks. I loved seeing creole in his new home. He was ecstatic.

poor Cairo. I hope he resolves his anxiety. What an awful thing to be abandoned. I adopted an anxious dog and we just have to keep at it. She has made great strides. 

Also loved seeing Silver go to a new home with that nice dog buddy and the sweet little boy. Im not crying. You’re crying.

thank god they rescued that loose dog sassy. I could not take another dog run over. She was from a good home so she was easier to catch. I really admire their technique in looping the dog. The owner seemed somewhat chastened and I hope she will keep he on leash outdoors if not fenced  in. I dropped my dog’s leash accidentally last year and she ran off. It was a nightmare that lasted 24 hours, and we thankfully found her (she did have on her collar and leash and is chipped). I now use an extra safety chain from the leash to my belt. 

• Love 2

I love these recap shows - it's like walking down memory lane.  All these special dogs, and still not enough people to adopt them.  :~(

My all time fave is still Roxy Mama.  I tear up whenever I think about her.

• Love 5
On 3/31/2019 at 6:09 PM, walnutqueen said:

love these recap shows - it's like walking down memory laneAll these special dogs, and still not enough people to adopt them:~(

Yeah it's very depressing to know that there are not enough special, beautiful people in this world to adopt all of the special, beautiful animals that need homes.....cats, dogs, rabbits, horses. But we do the best we can..."WE" the animal lovers/rescuers😿

• Love 2
On 4/2/2019 at 1:43 PM, chenoa333 said:

Yeah it's very depressing to know that there are not enough special, beautiful people in this world to adopt all of the special, beautiful animals that need homes.....cats, dogs, rabbits, horses. But we do the best we can..."WE" the animal lovers/rescuers😿

Perhaps there are many more of us special, beautiful people out there - but we cannot afford to rescue or foster as many animals as our hearts can hold.

• Love 7
36 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Perhaps there are many more of us special, beautiful people out there - but we cannot afford to rescue or foster as many animals as our hearts can hold.

THAT is a heartwarming thought I will remember and strive to believe in. Just because I don't see them, or know about them, doesn't mean they don't exist! Thanks WalnutQueen for expanding my horizons! 💞 😺

• Love 4

Enjoying old episodes Animal Planet is showing during the day. They showing them out of sequence, so it's a crap shoot how old the episode you see actually is. Recently we had the big move to Louisiana which ends with Tia running by the river, followed by an episode where she is hobbling along after the broken leg surgery.... episode on right now is from 2010, which was before I had cable and discovered the show. Actually, I have 4 episodes recorded, so what I'm watching actually aired Tuesday. Of the 4 recorded episodes on my DVR, original air dates scattered between 2010 and '18.

• Love 1
On 4/25/2019 at 10:23 AM, SRTouch said:

Enjoying old episodes Animal Planet is showing during the day. They showing them out of sequence, so it's a crap shoot how old the episode you see actually is. Recently we had the big move to Louisiana which ends with Tia running by the river, followed by an episode where she is hobbling along after the broken leg surgery.... episode on right now is from 2010, which was before I had cable and discovered the show. Actually, I have 4 episodes recorded, so what I'm watching actually aired Tuesday. Of the 4 recorded episodes on my DVR, original air dates scattered between 2010 and '18.

I never could understand why they show hours of reruns OUT OF SEQUENCE. I still enjoy watching, but damn it's confusing to me sometimes because I dont have TIVO or a DVR so it gets annoying when you don't see a series in chronological order. 

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

I never could understand why they show hours of reruns OUT OF SEQUENCE. I still enjoy watching, but damn it's confusing to me sometimes because I dont have TIVO or a DVR so it gets annoying when you don't see a series in chronological order. 

I agree, I watch them too but it is so annoying that they don't show in sequence. I wonder what the reason is behind that?

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

I just bought Tia’s book on Kindle for $2.99.

I didn't know she wrote a book. I'm definitely going to read it!

4 hours ago, SRTouch said:

I see that there will be a crossover episode with Amanda to the Rescue next season 

That should be a good "must watch".  I love both of these animal rescue warrior women!

I wish Animal Planet would do a series on cat rescuers. Doubt that will ever happen anytime soon.

• Love 2

So Tia will be in an episode of the other show (which I've never seen), but has anyone seen word of when more episodes of this show will be coming?  The Vet Life is already coming back, but I haven't seen any promos for this one and there's nothing on the show's page of Animal Planet's website.  For those of you who follow Tia/VRC on social media, has there been anything mentioned?

19 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

I wish Animal Planet would do a series on cat rescuers.  Doubt that will ever happen anytime soon.

Me too, to both.  There are significantly more cats than dogs euthanized in U.S. shelters each year, and I'd like to see at least one program dedicated to their rescue.  But TV programming is just yet another way in which cats get less attention and resources than dogs.

• Love 2
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Bastet said:

There are significantly more cats than dogs euthanized in U.S. shelters each year,  But TV programming is just yet another way in which cats get less attention and resources than dogs.

Sad but true. 😿 Cats are equally as loving and sweet as dogs. I guess most folks don't care enough to take the time to find out that is true. 

And Animal Planet should be ashamed they do NOTHING to feature cats welfare and cat rescuers. And how cats are great companions for people of all ages.

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 2
On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 5:10 PM, Bastet said:

So Tia will be in an episode of the other show (which I've never seen), but has anyone seen word of when more episodes of this show will be coming?  The Vet Life is already coming back, but I haven't seen any promos for this one and there's nothing on the show's page of Animal Planet's website.  For those of you who follow Tia/VRC on social media, has there been anything mentioned?

Me too, to both.  There are significantly more cats than dogs euthanized in U.S. shelters each year, and I'd like to see at least one program dedicated to their rescue.  But TV programming is just yet another way in which cats get less attention and resources than dogs.

I think that PB&P is usually in the late fall rotation. Saturday nights early fall is My Cat From Hell, followed by PB&P in late fall/winter. This year they've moved Dr. Jeff into the summer slot which is a pretty strong yearly line up for Saturday nights. 

• Love 1
On 7/30/2019 at 8:59 AM, Rlb8031 said:

I think that PB&P is usually in the late fall rotation. Saturday nights early fall is My Cat From Hell, followed by PB&P in late fall/winter.

Thanks.  I looked it up, and the last batch of episodes (and only ones this year so far) was from late January through the end of March, but that came after only a short break -- there had been episodes from the end of September through the beginning of December.

The other run of episodes in 2018 was from early January through early March.

2017 begin with episodes already airing, from late November 2016, through the end of January.  And then there was a short batch of episodes from early August through the end of September.

So based on that (I didn't go back any farther), we could get more episodes any time, heh.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, LostWithSawyer said:

I was so sad to read that Mariah and Marcel are no longer together. Does anyone know if he will remain on the show? I really enjoyed seeing his special connection to dogs that were fearful or have special needs. 

I did not see that, so sad

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, blondiek237 said:

I did not see that, so sad

She shared the news on instagram a while back. I'm not sure about the rules for posting links on this forum so I can paste one of her responses below (in the comments after someone inquired about Marcel)

mariah_harmony_

@dallboys123 marcel and I separated after 4 yrs. we realized we wanted different things. We are still hood friends, but happier not together and have both happily moved on

4w 55 likes Reply

• Love 1
2 hours ago, LostWithSawyer said:

I was so sad to read that Mariah and Marcel are no longer together. Does anyone know if he will remain on the show?

If it was an amicable split and they're both happily dating other people, they could do just fine continuing to work together, or it could be too awkward.  We'll just have to wait and see whether he decides to stay at VRC or move on.  Whatever is best for them, of course, but if he does leave I'll sure miss seeing him coax the scaredy-dogs to safety.  And with the way the producers use stories they filmed quite some time ago, we may still get some of that even if he's left in the interim.

1 hour ago, LostWithSawyer said:

She shared the news on instagram a while back. I'm not sure about the rules for posting links on this forum

You can embed an Instagram post here (or post it as a link).  I looked up her page and tried to find it, but I don't understand Instagram and gave up.  I saw pics of the new boyfriend, and older pics with Marcel, but I didn't see anything in between that jumped out as being about the divorce and quickly got tired of clicking and scrolling.

• Love 1
On 2/17/2019 at 5:48 PM, Bastet said:

She's still the owner of Cypress Lake Animal Hospital, but VRC is going to a different veterinary clinic now (I'm not sure if it's in addition to or in place of Cypress Lake), so that's why we're seeing a different vet.  Cypress Lake isn't all that conveniently located to either the city or country location (although I don't think much of anything is conveniently located to Assumption Parish), but obviously Dr. Kristen and staff were fantastic, so they started driving there (rather than the place in the city they'd initially been going to upon relocating to New Orleans).  This place may be better located, at least in relation to the city, so if they found another vet they can trust and get reasonably-priced services from, that would be a logical reason to switch.  But I haven't paid attention to the clinic name to look it up.

I did just check Cypress Lake's Facebook page, though, and VRC, Tia, the Tayho, etc. are all still listed as related pages/liked by this page, so perhaps they take the country dogs there still and now use this new place for the city dogs.  And it seems Cypress Lake works with other rescues as well.  Dr. Kristen is good peeps!

Might be because she cloned her dead boxer. Not a good look for a rescue organization. 

• Love 1
On 8/27/2019 at 1:26 PM, chenoa333 said:

What??? Are you referring to the woman vet VLR was using?

kristen from cypress lakes? yes, she cloned her beloved dog that passed away from a heart condition and now has 2 twin boy boxers from his genetic material. It's pretty common knowledge among the veterinary world. Idk that this played any role in her absence from the show but I can't imagine they would want to associate themselves with something like that,

• Love 1
7 hours ago, leahlandry said:

kristen from cypress lakes? yes, she cloned her beloved dog that passed away from a heart condition and now has 2 twin boy boxers from his genetic material. It's pretty common knowledge among the veterinary world. Idk that this played any role in her absence from the show but I can't imagine they would want to associate themselves with something like that,

To each their own. But with the millions of dogs and cats euthanized every year because of not enough adopters, I just have an issue with cloning. SAVE animals... DON'T REPRODUCE them. But thanks for the info, LeahLandry.

• Love 2

Whatever our opinions on cloning are, can you honestly imagine Tia and her family not continuing to have their animals treated at Cypress Lake because Dr. Kristen had her deceased dog cloned? Tia deliberately seeks out parolees to work for her. Come on.

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, Abra said:

Whatever our opinions on cloning are, can you honestly imagine Tia and her family not continuing to have their animals treated at Cypress Lake because Dr. Kristen had her deceased dog cloned? Tia deliberately seeks out parolees to work for her. Come on.

Nope, she seems to have been a big supporter of the rescue for years. What I COULD see is Dr Kristen, not wanting to be featured on the show. I mean, just think of some of the crazies which Tia and VRC have had to deal with. The TV show has helped Tia get VRC needed support and showing the need for good vet care is a part of that - but after a while I could understand their vets from stepping back from in front of the cameras.

With the number of rescues which need long term care they probably need several vets for the various locations. My guess, and it's only a guess, is that VRC has accounts/contracts with multiple clinics.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, SRTouch said:

With the number of rescues which need long term care they probably need several vets for the various locations. My guess, and it's only a guess, is that VRC has accounts/contracts with multiple clinics.

Cypress Lake is a hike from the city and country locations (everything is a distance from the country location), and from what we've seen of vet visits, it seems like they use Cypress Lake for the country dogs still but have found a new vet (not the one they went to upon first relocating to New Orleans) in the city to use for the warehouse dogs.  And, yeah, there could be additional clinics that don't think the publicity is worth the hassle of filming.

Yay for new episodes on the horizon.

Boo to cloning your dog!  WTF, Dr. Kristen?  It doesn't define her or wipe out the good she does, but damn.

• Love 5

I'm so glad this show is back; I could watch it for the rest of my life.

Jammall made me so happy last season when he sucked it up after disappearing and returned to ask for his job back, so I'd hoped he'd retain the confidence that if he was honest with Tia, she'd work with him on scheduling when things got tough.  It's a real shame.  I appreciate their being disappointed, not angry.  It's a loss for the dogs, as he's very good with them, and I hate that he did this to them and to himself.  I hope things work out for him.

I laughed when the female adopter told her husband to scoot over on the couch so there was room for a dog to jump up between them.  Their previous VRC dog certainly seemed to have a great life as indicated by those photos, so I'm glad they returned to give another one the same.  All three dogs they saw were adorable!  Trina the pot-bellied pig of a pit came out, and I thought she'd be my favorite.  Then the dog who'd been near death emaciated showed off her recovery, and I was just as enamored of her.  And then Mini Pants said, "Cuteness contest?  Hold my beer" and draped herself over the adopters. 

During the rescue of Napa, I loved seeing the auto shop guy with the stray cats he feeds.  I hope (and assume) they talked with him about getting them fixed if they aren't already.  The sisters worked really well together to get the dog.  The picture the next morning of Napa flopped over in the worker's lap was terrific - what a great thing for Mariah to wake up to.  It's wonderful when animals revert to their natural personality when they feel safe again.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Bastet said:

During the rescue of Napa, I loved seeing the auto shop guy with the stray cats he feeds.  I hope (and assume) they talked with him about getting them fixed if they aren't already.  The sisters worked really well

Haven't seen this episode yet but I always love seeing kind hearted men who love all animals, not just dogs. 

Was this episode the season premiere? This is one of my fave animal shows but I don't typically get to see it when the new episodes are on. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, blondiek237 said:

It’s listed as still season 10 on my cable info

Well, whether it's labeled 11 or 10b, it's a batch of new episodes, the first since the January-March run.

• Love 1

Did not watch yet, but I just wanted to check in with the peeps here.  Glad to have a new season.

I got Tia's book out of the library, but so far I'm disappointed.  It's a bit short on some information about her past.  It starts with her enlisting in the army and then going home after boot camp to find her dog gone.  But did she actually serve in the army?

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 2
51 minutes ago, GussieK said:

Did not watch yet, but I just wanted to check in with the peeps here.  Glad to have a new season.

I got Tia's book out of the library, but so far I'm disappointed.  It's a bit short on some information about her past.  It starts with her enlisting in the army and then going home after boot camp to find her dog gone.  But did she actually serve in the army?

Could be wrong, as I've never heard exactly WHEN she served. But, IIRC, I read somewhere/sometime that she served a total of 6 years and her job in the Army was as a truck driver.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, SRTouch said:

But, IIRC, I read somewhere/sometime that she served a total of 6 years and her job in the Army was as a truck driver.

Yes, her bio says she completed her service in the Army, and other articles have mentioned driving trucks and it being six years.

• Love 3

Whoa, baby! Just watched  FB preview of upcoming rescue, and man that poor pupper (named Salmon) is in bad shape. (if you're squeamish don't watch clip, pup about as bad as it gets) 

Anyway, reason for my post is discussion last month about various vets used by VRC & whether Dr Kristen was still treating VRC pups. I ended my post with 

On 9/14/2019 at 2:27 PM, SRTouch said:

Today's FB post says, in part, that VRC regularly uses 4 different clinics/hospitals. Other part of FB post is a plea for donations, saying vet costs are a BIG expense and run upwards of $700,000 a year - wow! Guess that makes sense as it seems like almost a given that the rescues will all need months of heart worm treatment.

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 4
48 minutes ago, SRTouch said:

Whoa, baby! Just watched  FB preview of upcoming rescue, and man that poor pupper (named Salmon) is in bad shape. (if you're squeamish don't watch clip, pup about as bad as it gets) 

Anyway, reason for my post is discussion last month about various vets used by VRC & whether Dr Kristen was still treating VRC pups. I ended my post with 

Today's FB post says, in part, that VRC regularly uses 4 different clinics/hospitals. Other part of FB post is a plea for donations, saying vet costs are a BIG expense and run upwards of $700,000 a year - wow! Guess that makes sense as it seems like almost a given that the rescues will all need months of heart worm treatment.

I believe it.  Vet bills have been a significant cause of my financial ruination.  Worth every penny to be penniless.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, SRTouch said:

vet costs are a BIG expense and run upwards of $700,000 a year - wow! Guess that makes sense as it seems like almost a given that the rescues will all need months of heart worm treatment.

Also that they don't just deworm them, give them their vaccination series, get them fixed, and then never take them back to the vet unless something seems to be wrong - they do check-ups (with blood tests) to be able to catch early and thus best manage any chronic conditions.  I don't know if they strictly adhere to the annual (and semiannual for seniors) schedule, but I know they do it regularly.  What they manage to do for the huge number of dogs they have at any given time on the resources they have (even with a TV show income and the increased donations that publicity brings, it's still always tight) is magnificent.

• Love 6

Some veterinarians charge people OTT prices because they are greedy assholes just wanting to get rich.

However, alot of pet owners don't realize that veterinarians use the same drugs, diagnostic equipment and laboratory diagnostics that are used for people. It's expensive. Many pet owners believe that because it's an animal, medical costs should be cheap. Not so. But getting back to my original point.....choose your vet wisely.

Many of them do take advantage of pet owners especially if the vet knows the owner has money. I know because I've seen it. 

Just use WalnutQueens vet if you live in San Diego County! 😄

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Just use WalnutQueens vet if you live in San Diego County! 😄

Unless it's a bad injury - then fly or drive to Denver to see Dr. Jeff or Dr. Petra.  My vet already knows that's what I'd do if I ever needed specialized surgery beyond her scope.  :~)

Should that ever happen, I'm counting on you to take that road trip with me, @chenoa333, since my arms couldn't handle that many hours behind the wheel. 

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Unless it's a bad injury - then fly or drive to Denver to see Dr. Jeff or Dr. Petra.  My vet already knows that's what I'd do if I ever needed specialized surgery beyond her scope.  :~)

Should that ever happen, I'm counting on you to take that road trip with me, @chenoa333, since my arms couldn't handle that many hours behind the wheel. 

I can drive. You can comfort your pet. Seriously, I'd do it. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, chenoa333 said:

I can drive. You can comfort your pet. Seriously, I'd do it. 

Seriously, I know you would.  That's why I felt OK mentioning it in an open forum.  This place forges strong friendships among us animal lovers, does it not?

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Bastet said:

Also that they don't just deworm them, give them their vaccination series, get them fixed, and then never take them back to the vet unless something seems to be wrong - they do check-ups (with blood tests) to be able to catch early and thus best manage any chronic conditions.  I don't know if they strictly adhere to the annual (and semiannual for seniors) schedule, but I know they do it regularly.  What they manage to do for the huge number of dogs they have at any given time on the resources they have (even with a TV show income and the increased donations that publicity brings, it's still always tight) is magnificent.

I remember a show awhile ago that stated that Lizzie did a lot of the shots and tech work at their location

• Love 3
1 hour ago, nitrofishblue said:

I remember a show awhile ago that stated that Lizzie did a lot of the shots and tech work at their location

Yep, she does; injections and blood draws for the heartworm test (which does not require a lab; you just put the blood on a little disc and wait for it to show positive or not).  Lizzy saves them a trip, and some money (because she's replacing a tech, not a vet; at my vet's office, there is no office visit charge for a tech appointment, but even where it's charged, it's less), so it's a help.  She taught someone else how to do it, too - maybe M2?  And I know there's at least one other worker (a woman we've seen numerous times, but whose name I can't recall) who does it, too.  They only have to take them in to see a vet, but there's still a lot of those visits between acute and follow-up care, plus whatever schedule of wellness checks they do.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4