Type keyword(s) to search

Northern Exposure - General Discussion

• Start Topic

7 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

My Christmas wish is to have Netflix or Amazon pick up Northern Exposure so I can rewatch the entire delightful run.  Well, maybe not the whole thing - I didn't watch for long after Joel left.

My Xmas wish is to have my dead VCR resurrected so I can rewatch my old NE tapes (since I can't afford Netflix or Amazon).

And I didn't watch the creepy replacement doc episodes, either!  ;-)

But back when I had a working VCR and a living Mum, she'd visit and we'd binge-watch NE as our Xmas tradition.

I miss my favorite show to this day!  Miss my old Mum, too.   :-(

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

So, this is about the original - for a moment I thought there was a remake and felt a bit woozy *phew* I loved this show so much (and its distant cousin Due South). 

I also dropped out when Joel left.

There has been talk about bringing it back.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, RandomWatcher said:

You mean a reboot of the series?  I hadn't heard that.  Are they all still alive?  Not to be flip but Holling wasn't a youngster back then.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, RandomWatcher said:

Sacre bleu.

Nothing will do but the original.

I visited Roslyn, Washington and walked in their footsteps.  Breakfasted at the Roslyn Cafe.  Drank at the Brick.  Kissed the windowpane of the Chris in the Morning radio show.  And did some other embarrassing shit, but was not arrested.

The Northern Lights were on full display during my night drive over there.  Only time I ever saw them.  Magical.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

John Cullum is 88 and still acting!

Well, dang, good for him!  I guess I shouldn't be surprised, Betty White is well into her 90's.  I hope I have as much energy at that age if I am lucky enough to make it that long.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

Well, it worked for Will and Grace and Murphy Brown.

Did it?  Murphy Brown was recently canceled.

On 12/18/2018 at 12:36 PM, nachomama said:

Yes, John Cullum has "died" on every show and but still kicking. Much like Ruth Ann and Mrs. Landingham from the West Wing

The actress who played Ruth Ann died in 2002.

IMO, they should leave the show alone.   All the reboots -- Murphy Brown, Will and Grace, Roseanne -- suffer from "that was then, this is now" syndrome, and the "now" is just kinda "meh."

• Love 5

Dang! Is there a conspiracy to keep Jake McDorman off my screen??? Anyhow I had just read that CB got a Golden Globe nomination and so I assumed things were fine and dandy. Looks like they aren't although the cancellation is not official.

• Love 1
On 12/18/2018 at 9:51 AM, Kohola3 said:

Not to be flip but Holling wasn't a youngster back then.

That was part of Holling's schtick though.  His male ancestors all lived to be well north of 100 and he was worried that he was still young enough that he might end up outliving Shelly.

It does sound like most of the cast is onboard for a revival.  I'm curious to see what they'd do with it because as much as I loved the show, it's hard to picture that kind of early '90s whimsy playing now.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I'll be in if they can get dreamy John Corbett back as Chris. And Darren Burrows as Ed would be a lovely bonus.

He lost me when he did Lifetime movies and went bald.

I have yet to experience hard as ruby nipples, but Holling must've had a thing going on.

2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I'll be in if they can get dreamy John Corbett back as Chris. And Darren Burrows as Ed would be a lovely bonus.

According to the article linked above, John Corbett is a producer of the proposed reboot, so I would think he’s in as Chris.

• Love 3

I have the entire series of Northern Exposure on DVD and I have watched it from start to finish a few times. However, I have watched season 1 to the end of season 5 many times as I didn't really like season 6 much. 

I have also heard that Janine Turner won't be in the possible reboot. I also heard that in this possible reboot, Joel returns to Cicely for the funeral of an old friend. At first I thought that would definitely be Ruth Ann because the actress, Peg Philips has already passed away. Then again, maybe Maggie has passed away? Its possible that Ruth Ann has just moved away from Cicely although she was no spring chicken way back then either. Whatever they decide to do, I hope Janine Turner is in it. I agree, how can there be Joel with no Maggie??

• Love 1

I gave the series a chance after Joel left (didn't like it much).  If Maggie isn't in a reboot, I'd be disappointed but still watch a few episodes. 

I loved Northern Exposure.  One of my favorite memories is hearing my dad chuckling in the first episode when Holling shot at ducks/geese while taking Joel for a talk in his row boat.  

15 hours ago, possibilities said:

I always thought she was underutilized, but I loved her every time she was there.

I thought she was wonderful and I would have loved more personal stories about her.  Maybe that's why I loved the episode with the romance between her and the Flying Man so much.

• Love 2

I use to see Marilyn hanging out around Redmond, WA for several years after NX was cancelled.    I wonder if they will ask back all of us who were stand ins and extras?  It was really like a big family, and a lot of fun.  I am surprised that Joel wants to bring it back since his leaving kind of gave the show the kiss of death.  

Edited by Pine
  • Love 2

MARILYN! I WANT THEM TO BRING BACK MARILYN.

I always thought she was underutilized, but I loved her every time she was there.

She was a great character and a perfect zen foil for New York-neurotic "Joel." The episode that I recall best about her is when she "ran away" to the "big city," (Seattle), and Joel chased after her in an apoplectic frenzy because he thought she couldn't survive in a big city.  He tried to explain to the local police how "guileless" she was ("you know, she has no guile") and why that put her in danger. Understandably, they looked at him like he was nuts. Nevertheless, he found her at the zoo. She met with no harm and merely had a good time.

I think a reboot could work and I'd give it a try. Some reboots work (Will and Grace, mostly), others don't (Murphy Brown, despite my persistent hope).  Some have blended casts (both old and new), like Dallas, while others rewrite and recast all the characters and play with the casting assumptions of the original (Dynasty). There are many ways to do this, but getting it right is tricky when an audience has preconceived ideas about what "should" happen with characters they "know."

• Love 1
On 3/11/2019 at 11:47 AM, ahpny said:

I think a reboot could work and I'd give it a try.

I would give it a try as well.  But without that last doctor, has to be Joel.  I can't remember, did Rob Morrow leave on bad terms?

On 3/14/2019 at 7:23 AM, Kohola3 said:

I would give it a try as well.  But without that last doctor, has to be Joel.  I can't remember, did Rob Morrow leave on bad terms?

He was thinking that his career was going to be more movies.  Like 90% of the actors who leave winning series do, it really didn't happen.  But, he has had some success on the stage, and doing some bit parts in other series.  

1 hour ago, Pine said:

He was thinking that his career was going to be more movies.  Like 90% of the actors who leave winning series do, it really didn't happen.  But, he has had some success on the stage, and doing some bit parts in other series.

Numb3rs lasted six seasons.

It’s been so long that while I remember the characters, I’ve forgotten so many of the storylines.

I love Marilyn so much.

Wow, Maurice’s casual anti-Semitism and homophobia…he was never a favorite, but I’d forgotten that. 

• Like 2