Type keyword(s) to search

Deal Or No Deal - General Discussion

• Start Topic

They keep on repeating the Christmas episode where the guy ends up with $5.  He had two good offers there at the end, but he ~believed~ the $750,000 was in his case.  I wonder do the producers encourage that type of idiotic, magical thinking or they recruit people with those traits.  I guess sensible people taking the first deal that hits six figures is not entertaining enough.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, junemeatcleaver said:

They keep on repeating the Christmas episode where the guy ends up with $5.  He had two good offers there at the end, but he ~believed~ the $750,000 was in his case.  I wonder do the producers encourage that type of idiotic, magical thinking or they recruit people with those traits.  I guess sensible people taking the first deal that hits six figures is not entertaining enough.

I would’ve countered the final offer with $500,000. If it got shot down at least I tried.

• Love 1

I think that’s why the show failed the first time around. The odds of winning the million are too low and most people either don’t take the deal at all or wait until most of the big amounts are gone and end up with a low deal. I think the show has a certain suspense factor but because there is nothing to the game besides picking cases, it gets repetitive. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I think that’s why the show failed the first time around. The odds of winning the million are too low and most people either don’t take the deal at all or wait until most of the big amounts are gone and end up with a low deal. I think the show has a certain suspense factor but because there is nothing to the game besides picking cases, it gets repetitive. 

That is why I liked the “series” premiere guy. He lost the mil and countered. When the banker didn’t accept the counter and the luck went his way and she offered more than what he had countered just the time before he took it and ran. I do wonder how that would’ve played out if it was 750k lost and the million was still on the board.

I don't know what I really feel about this show.  On the one hand it seems like the contestants are really upping the buffoon quota in terms of all of the "dancing."  I don't want to watch these people dance...  It also seems like Howie really drags things out and that they only want to feature one person per hour, which I get.  However, it would be way more exciting if the game moved along more quickly and there was a possibility of seeing more than one contestant per hour.  I do enjoy anticipating what I would do in terms of the potential deals and counter offers.  And, it does up the tension when the family as well as the studio audience are telling the person "deal" and they don't.  I would not take the risks that some of them do-like an above poster mentioned, I would probably take the deal as soon as it got over $100,000-but that doesn't make as 'good' of t.v. I guess.

It will be interesting to see if this show is successful.

• Love 1

It looks like this show didn't learn it's lesson from the first time. Too much nonsense instead of the actual game. I liked the previous half hour daytime version because they had to keep the game moving instead of dragging it out with family and life stories. That said, I'm still watching this latest version but just channel surfing during the parts that's not the actual game.

The $5 guy deserved what he got.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

It looks like this show didn't learn it's lesson from the first time. Too much nonsense instead of the actual game. I liked the previous half hour daytime version because they had to keep the game moving instead of dragging it out with family and life stories. That said, I'm still watching this latest version but just channel surfing during the parts that's not the actual game.

The $5 guy deserved what he got.

Yeah there needs to be multiple people and maybe contestants appearing on 2 episodes especially with back to back airings

• Love 2

Yeah, the CNBC version has so much filler because they want to keep the episodes self-contained.  I agree two contestants an hour is enough; let them tell their sob story at the start of their run and get on with it.

I don't understand why they didn't mix in some male models with the case girls.  Twenty-six mostly mute hot women and those creepy, Robert Palmer video-esque banker's models seem a little outdated

• Love 2
On 12/24/2018 at 8:15 AM, seacliffsal said:

I don't know what I really feel about this show.  On the one hand it seems like the contestants are really upping the buffoon quota in terms of all of the "dancing."  I don't want to watch these people dance...  It also seems like Howie really drags things out and that they only want to feature one person per hour, which I get.  However, it would be way more exciting if the game moved along more quickly and there was a possibility of seeing more than one contestant per hour.  I do enjoy anticipating what I would do in terms of the potential deals and counter offers.  And, it does up the tension when the family as well as the studio audience are telling the person "deal" and they don't.  I would not take the risks that some of them do-like an above poster mentioned, I would probably take the deal as soon as it got over $100,000-but that doesn't make as 'good' of t.v. I guess.

It will be interesting to see if this show is successful.

The dancing needs to stop. It just happened on Millionaire recently and the guy lost after that. Yeah, dancing like a moron in front of 10 million viewers. Not gonna happen with me. I take my winnings privately in my home, thank you. Not gonna embarrass me like that on TV.

They must have heard our complaints, the last episode had two contestants.  The first contestant bombed out with $500 at around 45 minute mark and the show ended with the second contestant having opened all the six figure-plus numbers except the $750 and the million.

Well, after an episode with an over the top "bingo caller" that included the remaining models wearing exact replicas of his outfit and then an episode with a woman who "sang" her choices, I finally just deleted this from my DVR.  Even fast forwarding much of the episodes did not entertain me or keep me vested in this show.  Each contestant was more cartoony that the previous one.  I probably would have liked this show if the contestants were calmer and we saw more strategy related to the deal-making.  The counter-offers were getting ridiculous and the contestants acted surprised when the banker didn't accept them.  

I probably would have liked this show if the contestants were calmer and we saw more strategy related to the deal-making. 

I don't think many contestants on this show have ever employed much strategy, old show or new.

The show has always mainly cast emotional, spontaneous and over-the-top contestants.  The contestants seem the same except the CNBC version has more shitty filler.

(edited)

I think they purposefully choose "fun for TV" contestants.  And those who are likely to play for a while vs. bail as soon as they reach a reasonable offer.  I used to watch it a lot when I was in college, and when I broke my arm in March, I was stuck watching more TV than usual, including on demand, and realized the show is back.  I am back to watching it and I like it so far.  It's silly but not offensively silly for me.

It is silly how they counter ridiculous amounts, though, that always makes me facepalm.

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 2