Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E03: Naughty and Nice

FormerMod-a1
  • Start Topic

Richard Blais and Brooke Williamson present a Quickfire challenge; chef Eric Ripert sits down with the chefs to enjoy a traditional French Christmas dinner; Padma tells the chefs they're missing the final part of the tradition of Le Revillon de Noel.

Air date: December 20, 2018

What a lump of coal – Richard Blais and Graham Elliot in the same episode?  Thank goodness for Eric Ripert and Brooke Williamson to balance that out (Ripert could do it on his own, but I like her, too).  And for Tom shutting down Richard’s stupid attempt at the “do you catch the fish yourself?” joke.

And I wish they wouldn’t go so far in creating Christmas episodes to make people walk around saying “merry Christmas” to each other in the morning.  Create a holiday dish, fine.  But pretend it’s Christmas?  Come on.

The guy who’s a stan for Blais – I can’t even.  But that has nothing on the guy who did not come to TC with a dessert recipe (Brian?).  What an idiot.

I hate gimmicky QFs when immunity is at stake. 

Okay, enough grumbling.

I got a laugh out of Sara relating being the one Jewish kid in Kentucky, and of Kelsey saying she was going to knife Brian in his sleep for putting together such an awful box – and then when Nini threatened to murder anyone who disturbed her bowl in the freezer, someone said she’d been hanging around Kelsey too much.  And of Padma talking about her daughter setting a trap for Santa.

That was a long-ass day, dessert is hard for most of them, they were jockeying for space in a home kitchen – a seriously tricked-out one, but still – so I’m not surprised there were some missteps.  I’m not a big dessert person, so nothing got me drooling, but there were quite a few I’d have liked to try.

I love that Kelsey hit it out of the park with something that was a Plan B.  Nini’s looked the best to me, so I’m glad she won.

I was hoping to see Brandon in the bottom, because, well, Brandon.  But at least they didn’t like his dish, again; I hold out hope he’ll be gone soon, because – other than the Blais love that now has me giving that one guy the side-eye – he’s the only one I actively dislike.  I appreciate Tom’s frustration that the three on the bottom all knew just how they’d messed up, and didn’t do anything about it.  And I agree with taking Pablo out of consideration, given that the other two were actually offensive to the palate.  I thought it was going to be Brian, but I can see it going the other way.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 14

Why did they have to diminish the visit of my beloved Eric Ripert with perennial douche bag Richard Blais? Eric can carry the guest judging by himself, thanks. And while I don’t dislike Brooke Williamson per se, she didn’t add any interest. I think pretty much everything she said began with either “I’m a big fan of...,” or “I’m not a big fan  of...”

I was glad Nini won again. Her brother’s death was very sad.  Not a fan of Kelsey and her death threats. None of the desserts looked all that great to me.  I really was hoping Brian would be eliminated. It’s bad enough not to practice at least one dessert when you are chosen for Top Chef, but then to be so dismissive is just obnoxious.

• Love 24
43 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

Same here. Apparently we’re in a very small club, but I like him too. Always have. 

I stopped liking him the first episode of All Stars when he kept plating after time was called. Rather than be eliminated for blatantly cheating, he just wasn’t eligible for the win. Which he was then salty about! How many cheftestants have packed their knives for running out of time? But Richard ends up winning the whole thing when he should have been out that first episode for being a cheater. 

• Love 19
5 hours ago, biakbiak said:

This episode made me sad when I did the math and realized this was most likely filmed less than two weeks before Eric found Bourdain’s body. 

I thought about this too but I didn’t go back to check. I found the show difficult to watch or engage in because of knowing what was coming up for Eric and Anthony Bourdain.

On a minor note, I again disliked both of these challenges. The show and competition is tough enough without the yankee swap of ingredients and getting stuck with the idiot who got 5 kinds of flour box. Super unfair. I felt the same about the rushed at midnight desert challenge. To do both of these screwed up challenges in one episode was pretty shitty.

I haven’t really  liked  or enjoyed any of the challenges so far to be honest.

• Love 13
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

Richard Blais and Graham Elliot in the same episode?

Hey it could have been worse....Graham COULD have worn silly ripped skinny jeans like Richard's.  By the way, nobody over the age of 12 should wear ripped jeans unless you're dirt poor and don't have the money for new pants.

I don't care for holiday themed episodes, but I was glad it wasn't another region specific challenge.

9 hours ago, avecsans said:

perennial douche bag Richard Blais

9 hours ago, susannot said:

Richard Blais should never in any universe be seated at the same table as Eric Ripert

Well said.

• Love 12

I enjoyed the episode.  I really liked making everyone do dessert - it put them all on the same level playing field, rather than putting one chef at a disadvantage during restaurant wars or other structured team challenge.    Granted, a few will have to do dessert again, but at least there was this challenge.

• Love 15
9 hours ago, susannot said:

Richard Blais should never in any universe be seated at the same table as Eric Ripert.

Agree! Isn't he in trouble for multiple counts of sexual harrassment, too? I think those occurred waaay before this was taped, so why is he here? Don't give anyone props for bad behavior!

9 hours ago, avecsans said:

I really was hoping Brian would be eliminated. It’s bad enough not to practice at least one dessert when you are chosen for Top Chef, but then to be so dismissive is just obnoxious.

Wasn't he also the one who put together the shit box of out-of-season asparagus and ham? Wow. I'd have eliminated him based on that alone. He's clearly not up to the challenges. I felt bad for the woman chef who got that box and then got low scores. Really?

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I was hoping to see Brandon in the bottom, because, well, Brandon.  But at least they didn’t like his dish, again; I hold out hope he’ll be gone soon, because – other than the Blais love that now has me giving that one guy the side-eye – he’s the only one I actively dislike.

He can go yesterday. What a jackass.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, Ms Lark said:
10 hours ago, susannot said:

Richard Blais should never in any universe be seated at the same table as Eric Ripert.

Agree! Isn't he in trouble for multiple counts of sexual harrassment, too? I think those occurred waaay before this was taped, so why is he here? Don't give anyone props for bad behavior!

I think you're thinking of Mike Isabella, not Richard Blais. 

• Love 17
33 minutes ago, Ms Lark said:

Richard Blais? Um, no, not to my knowledge.

Maybe you're confusing him with Mike Isabella?

• Love 9

I loved this episode, mainly because of the dessert. Sorry folks, pro baker here-so for me it took that little bit of Top Chef: Desserts. I like the quickfire, because it again was a different kind of challenge. I don't have a problem with Blais like I did when he was a cheftestant. He's mellowed out over the years. Even compared to when he first did judging , he doesn't seem like he has the stick as far up his...

I so look forward to the next one-an early Restaurant Wars!

• Love 16

I don't like dessert challenges since so many variables come into play that cant always be controlled like temperature and humidity, which proved to be a big problem for Kelsey's macaroons. Given that they were packed into that kitchen, that stuff was bound t happen, so maybe she made a bad choice knowing people would open the door, but I don't like when that forms the basis for an elimination.

I enjoy the appearances by Eric Ripert, but it seemed like 1/2 the episode was spent on hero worship. His analysis was spot on , as usual, but they really didn't give him the time to do much, which is too bad.

By the way, who cooked the food for that dinner-was it Tom and Graham and Ripert?

I like Richard Blais. I've always liked him. 

He was a great cheftestant....one of the top competitors ever...but I don't like the "character" Richard Blais, and I am not  sure where the person starts and the character ends.....or vice versa

• Love 3

I am finally warming up to this season. It didn't hurt that Brooke Williamson was on. She's one of my favorite cheftestants of all time - she reminds me of a pirate ship Homecoming Queen.

I think Eddie kind of redeemed himself this episode, He seemed genuinely contrite and made good dishes, even if he didn't win either challenge.

Sarah and Brandon can both leave next, hand in sweaty hand. Blecch.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

And I wish they wouldn’t go so far in creating Christmas episodes to make people walk around saying “merry Christmas” to each other in the morning.  Create a holiday dish, fine.  But pretend it’s Christmas?  Come on.

Same here - it just seems so stupid and disingenuous.

• Love 8

This is Top Chef not Top Salt! LOL. Man, oh man, Tom is either bludgeoning you for too much salt or not enough salt. (Wasn't Eric R's name dropped last season about the advice to add more salt?) How can one ingredient torpedo so many chefs on this show.

• Love 3

How do you come to Top Chef without a dessert recipe?? That's just dumb. Some of the presentations were bad too.

27 minutes ago, AriAu said:

I don't like the "character" Richard Blais, and I am not  sure where the person starts and the character ends.....or vice versa

Count me among those who can't stand Richard Blais. He's just so douchey and try-hard to me, with a dash of entitlement. I hope he's playing a role because if not, yikes, but you're right - it's very hard to tell where one begins and the other ends, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he were like that all the time. 

So sad about Nini's brother. My brother is one of my favorite people. I like Nini a lot - she's creeping up to be one of my favorites.

• Love 14
14 minutes ago, TipseyGirl said:
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

Same here - it just seems so stupid and disingenuous.

But many sit-coms do a Christmas issue when we know they weren't filmed on Dec 25. Only a live TV show can actually satisfy the purists. It's a game show not a documentary, roll with it.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Eulipian 5k said:

But many sit-coms do a Christmas issue when we know they weren't filmed on Dec 25. Only a live TV show can actually satisfy the purists. It's a game show not a documentary, roll with it.

Yeah I think it would be weird to not have it all decorated. The only thing I thought was annoying is the how do you choose asparagus for a Christmas dish talk. He probably thought the asparagus looked good because it was May and just didn’t connect that it was supposed to be a dish for December but Kelsey was only dinged for the execution of the dish not the ingredient.

Did anyone catch what Kevin has intended to do with the five different kinds of flour?

i hope I don’t jinx her but I really like Noni from her food to her personality!

• Love 3
6 hours ago, rose711 said:

The show and competition is tough enough without the yankee swap of ingredients

I was too lazy to go back and check, but didn't the last person choose a BOX for goodness sake? When they have the look-see of 12 boxes? 

• Love 7

I like Blais more now than I did in the all-star season. Having met him a few times and interviewed him, I will say that he is more low key in person than as a judge or as a cheftestant. In person he comes off as almost insecure, which I think translates to him coming off as trying to hard on camera. 

I quite liked him when he was on season 4. But his constant whining about not winning that season during the all-star season grew tiresome. He even commented that his season was remembered for him losing. Actually, no, dude. But whatever. He's clearly not the great restauranteur he had hoped to be. If he'd never done Top Chef, he'd probably make a good executive chef at someone else's restaurant. 

I hate these "holiday episodes" that were clearly taped months ago. I also hate dessert challenges, as the cheftestants flail around like the idea never occured to them. How many times do we have to hear, "but I'm not a pastry chef." 

I would say Nini is growing on me, but that is usually a kiss of death. 

• Love 10

Between both challenges being unnecessarily difficult & stressful for the cheftestants (not to mention too reality show twisty for my tastes), and my dislike of both Brooke & Richard, this was not my favorite episode. I used to really like David(?), but his hero worship of RB has knocked him down several notches. But as a low-carber, I appreciated his leek noodles. I was pretty much only in it for Eric Ripert, so Justin fanboying over him made me like him even more. And his dessert sounded great to me. Maybe we PTV'ers are a minority, but as much as thinking outside the box, being creative, and thinking on your toes are all qualities good chefs need to have, it seems most of us here would prefer fewer game show machinations and more cooking. I'd love to hear more about the chefs' techniques and how they conceptualize a dish, etc. 

I really thought Brian should have been eliminated, but salt is a giant slayer on this show, and Kevin's PYKAG was telegraphed as soon as we learned that he gave up his dream job in the big city to marry his small-town sweetheart & raise a family. Glad Pablo is still around; I'm holding onto faith that the Argentinian dishes that he has been talking about will eventually work out for him. Brian can go any time, but him giving Brandon a hard time about his hair straightener was funny. 

And where was Padma's ugly Christmas sweater..lol The top she wore at judges' table was a great color for her, and I like her shorter hair. 

46 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

i hope I don’t jinx her but I really like Noni from her food to her personality!

Shall we implement our Jeopardy "I hate her/him <wink, wink>"?  I am a few degrees of separation from Nini, whose mom is the manicurist at a hair salon I used to go to. So sad about her brother. I am FB friends with some of her mom's co-workers, and I remember postings about his death. They held a benefit for him at the bar next door to the salon. 

31 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I was too lazy to go back and check, but didn't the last person choose a BOX for goodness sake? When they have the look-see of 12 boxes? 

I thought the same thing. I wasn't paying the best attention, and was also too lazy/disinterested to rewind. Nini talking about cream cheese & pepper jelly made me smile. It is huge in NOLA not to mention delicious.

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, susannot said:

Eric Ripert said about Kevin's too-salty dish that adding butter was not the way to fix it.  I was frustrated that Chef Ripert did not then go on to explain what is the proper was to fix it!

Start over or serve something else?

I just don't think there's any way to fix an over-salted dish. I did it to mashed potatoes one time, and my solution was to make an entire new batch of potatoes and titrate in the salted ones. 

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, susannot said:

Eric Ripert said about Kevin's too-salty dish that adding butter was not the way to fix it.  I was frustrated that Chef Ripert did not then go on to explain what is the proper was to fix it!

Yes! I am much more interested in learning things like that (without having to google) than in the gameshow shenanigans like having the chefs fix dessert in a crowded kitchen at midnight after a big dinner & copious amounts of wine. 

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, RebeccatheWriter said:

I like Blais more now than I did in the all-star season. Having met him a few times and interviewed him, I will say that he is more low key in person than as a judge or as a cheftestant. In person he comes off as almost insecure, which I think translates to him coming off as trying to hard on camera. 

That's how he always came across to me- more insecure than arrogant. And anxious and neurotic. It never made me dislike him though, it just made me want to slip him a Prozac. 

• Love 15

Blais is everywhere.  I just saw him on Guy's Grocery Games then the Rachael Ray show inside of a WEEK.  I used to like him but now find him annoying and douchey.  It was nice to see Brooke, though.  She seems to have lightened her hair somewhat.  For a moment she reminded me a little of Kaley Cuoco.  

I had a gut feeling that this was filmed before Bourdain's death based on Eric's demeanor.  I just didn't realize how close it was.  So sad.  I haven't seen Eric anywhere since Bourdain's death but he has been in my thoughts often as I know they were the best of friends.

I think Brian dodged a bullet.  David continues to impress.  Is it too soon to admit I have a little crush on him?

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Eulipian 5k said:

How can one ingredient torpedo so many chefs on this show.

Because Salt = Taste.  

And while it is fairly normal for me to not actively dislike any contestants on this show, there are always a few who can leave sooner rather than later. My criteria is less "he/she is a jerk" and more "he/she isn't as good/talented as the others". 

The interaction between Brandon and Brian about their hair made me like both of them more than I had previously. Brian then lost a bunch of points for being 100% clueless about dessert. Be prepared to play the game. Jeez.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

Thank you!  I was bewildered.  The highest number is the best.   (When I am forced to play, #1 always gets the last pick again though)  And were there no limits on the number of steals?  In case anyone missed it, I'm a type A rule follower who had one of these last week.  

• Love 10
9 minutes ago, jmcd44 said:

I was bewildered.  The highest number is the best.   (When I am forced to play, #1 always gets the last pick again though)

among our Christmas decorations is an ugly wax snowman that I got in this game when I chose first. Needless to say I sat through the rest of the game with no one "stealing" my ugly gift. And I did not get to pick again. The wax snowman spent one summer in the attic and he now is at least an interesting, flattened, mess. 

• Love 9

Isn’t this the second time in a row they sprung a challenge on them after they’re tired, been drinking, etc?

is this a new format thing? I hadn’t watched a few seasons and these challenges seem more gimmicky than talent seeking. 

I do understand the contrast between changing your dish when it isn’t working and just going ahead with it when you know it’s too salty. Maybe this is purposeful to eliminate the chefs who can’t adapt?

• Love 3

I don't know what it is about Brooke, but I'm not a fan. So, having both Blaise and her on the show... ugh. Not for me. 

I so agree that the chefs that don't bring an adaptable dessert recipe or two to the table are idiots. I also am sooooo tired of hearing "I'm not a pastry chef" from the cheftestants. This is a competition. Prepare. This show has been on a long time. Even I know that a dessert will pop up in one form or another. 

• Love 8
1 minute ago, rose711 said:

this the second time in a row they sprung a challenge on them after they’re tired, been drinking, etc?

Last week it was only menu planning and since they were supposed to do riffs on the dishes that they had just eaten that was probably more helpful than hinderance.

• Love 3
On 12/21/2018 at 12:59 PM, snarktini said:

Nothing! In a TH, he said he was panicking and kept picking up flour for no reason.

Thanks! That makes both more and less sense! I can see panicking and grabbing random ingredients but not standing by the flours and grabbing lots of different ones.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3

It takes a lot of salt to make Tom C. hate a dish, but the former contestant certainly managed to do that.     

The man who picked up all of that flour picked the wrong show to be a contestant on.         

Blais would be so much better if he just judged, and didn't try to make himself the star of the show.      I've always had issues with him after he kept complaining that he lost his season, and Stephanie didn't beat him.    He reminds me of the class clown who always has to be the center of attention.

I think my issue with Brooke is that she beat other people I liked better, but she doesn't bother me since she shows up, judges, and isn't trying to do a stand up routine too like Blais.   

I loved seeing Eric, but was sad knowing what he was going to go through soon.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 10
39 minutes ago, rose711 said:

sn’t this the second time in a row they sprung a challenge on them after they’re tired, been drinking, etc?

Yeah the drinking thing and it being after midnight would be death for me. I'd just want to go to bed.

• Love 5

Kelsey annoyed in that she wasn't making macaroons she was attempting to make macarons. Jeesch that grates. Similar to the chefs who mispronounced dacquoise. Yes you say the S. Come on, chefs.

I use Blais's recipe for slow roasted beef on pulled pork & it's divine so he doesn't annoy me! Stupid reason tho.

• Love 13
10 minutes ago, rhys said:

Kelsey annoyed in that she wasn't making macaroons she was attempting to make macarons. Jeesch that grates. Similar to the chefs who mispronounced dacquoise. Yes you say the S. Come on, chefs.

That drove me crazy too!

• Love 8
2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Because Salt = Taste.  

Yes, salt is our most basic (and natural) food additive. (and is now FREE of the heart disease slander!), but is sooo subjective.  In baking they might say how much salt to add  but every savory recipe says "and salt & pepper to taste". Can't they just put out a salt cellar with Tom's dishes! Or do a "Salting to Taste Quickfire" in episode 1; he can weed out the first 10 of the fifteen chefs in one fell swoop! And then he can show us all what to do with a too salty dish.

• Love 3

I didn't watch the All-Star season, but Richard Blais annoys the shit out of me because of the way he talks about Season 4. He presents it as Stephanie only won because he choked during the last challenge, which is not true. He and Stephanie were basically tied the entire time; in fact she had one more elimination challenge win than him. His win was never a foregone conclusion and he needs to stop acting like it was. I'm just glad Stephanie continues to build her Chicago empire.

The cheftestant that was spazzing out over Blais really needed to calm the hell down. "I have Richard Blais' fork!" Show some dignity, dude. 

I love that Nini continues to kick ass. I thought it was odd the way everyone reacted when she said that if anyone touched her bowl (or whatever it was) in the freezer she would kill them. 1.) it's obviously a joke and 2.) I know how people talk in professional kitchens, so why'd they get all pearl-clutchy over that?

• Love 24

I thought they were kidding her back.  Someone said she had been hanging around Kelsey too much.  

Liked the guys consternation over the mysterious hair straightener appearing in their zone.  (although as someone with straight hair, I will never understand those things)

I don't like "cook in your own kitchen" for the elimination challenge, especially when they hadn't even shopped for it.  It works OK for a quickfire, but I'd hate to lose my place because there weren't enough ovens or some ingredient got all used up by another contestant, etc.

• Love 6

I was quite disappointed in the dishes this episode. Maybe it was the conditions in the kitchen, but most of the dishes looked not very good--Brian's dish looked disgusting and ill conceived, outside of the top 3 none of them looked like desserts I would be happy to get in a restaurant. 

I think it's also an industry wide problem, that chefs (savory chefs) and pastry chefs are almost considered two different professions. 

• Love 1