Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

The Great Kiwi Bake Off

7 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I hadn't either. When the judges initially started talking about it (as they discussed the ideal linzer torte), I thought they were being descriptive, as in, "You want to have a melting moment." 

Sounds akin to "afternoon delight." 

I never thought I would say this about any Bake Off series but I'm not enjoying this version.  The hosts are too intrusive (guys, the show isn't about you).  The judging is weak and uninformative.  They need to give some serious thought to re-casting the hosts and judges if the show is renewed for a second season.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, RealityCheck said:

I never thought I would say this about any Bake Off series but I'm not enjoying this version.

Me neither, I stopped watching after the 3rd or 4th episode.

I don't care for the hosts or the judges but I love all bake shows. I can't begin to articulate why. I don't bake all that much so it's baffling. I like the camaraderie of the cheftestants.

Stacy is so pretty. I know it's shallow of me but she kinda fucked up her face with the piercings. Her face,  tho, is gorgeous. Not a fan of the tats either. Get off my lawn.

• Like 1

The main problem I have with the two hosts is that they seem like they are trying too hard ALL THE TIME. On the rare occasions when they drop the schtick and actually talk to the bakers like human beings (like when something goes wrong or they're genuinely trying to help), they're fine.

• Like 1

Joel was totally ready to go. 

Tonight the lady judge's almost entire critique of one of the bakes was "mmm mmm mmm mmm."  I won't further rag on about the hosts/judges, since y'all already did! :)

4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The main problem I have with the two hosts is that they seem like they are trying too hard ALL THE TIME. On the rare occasions when they drop the schtick and actually talk to the bakers like human beings (like when something goes wrong or they're genuinely trying to help), they're fine.

Yeah, maybe that's it. They are not funny & bordering on exhausting. I just want them to calm down.

i wish TPTB would get rid of the work stations in the center of the shed. I think by now the remaining bakers could just fill stations along, say, the east and west sides of the room and the middle could be cleared.

1 hour ago, TVbitch said:

Tonight the lady judge's almost entire critique of one of the bakes was "mmm mmm mmm mmm."  I won't further rag on about the hosts/judges, since y'all already did! :)

Ha, don't let our complaining stop you! Feel free to rag on them all you like!

Those retro choux swans seemed impossible and fussy upon first glance so I enjoyed watching the entire process. Wow, has Annabel come in last before? After all of Larissa's stumbles, I was sure she would be last. Yay for Jeff winning the technical challenge!

I feel like many of the challenges have been simple and open ended (make a pie) and this is no different. Make some pastries. I like that it gives the bakers a lot of room to be creative and do whatever they do best but on the other hand they seem like very generic challenges.

Jeff's breakfast khachapuri with cheese and perfectly runny egg sounded delicious. His deep fried katlama with cherry jam and sour cream sounded great and I loved how all the layers of lamination were visible. It was smart to roll the dough and turn it as he did to show the layers like that.

Hannah's honey sticky buns with hazelnut filling sounded really good. Loved hat she made her own hazelnut paste! Her salmon and cream cheese pastries sounded very classic and yummy. I liked the twists one each end of the pastry.

Stacey took a chance making yeasted croissant dough in such a short amount of time. Hee, I loved that she told Jeff if she succeeded she might have to get a croissant tattoo on her bum. Her plaited apple and cinnamon pastries were pretty. Her gruyere and prosciutto croissants sounded classic and delicious.

Annabel's date, pecan, and orange pastries looked nice. Her broccoli and parmesan pastries sounded fine to me (why are avocado and tomato acceptable at breakfast but broccoli isn't?). For the record, the new Australian trend of broccoli coffee is actually broccoli powder added to coffee - I was picturing stalks of broccoli just dropped into a hot cup of coffee. I would have made a pastry that completely enclosed the broccoli though because I'm not a fan of the dry brittle broccoli that was poking out of the ends of her pastry.

Larissa's egg, bacon, and feta pastries sounded delicious. I don't know why the judges complimented Jeff's runny egg but said hers was weird. And you shut up, judges! I would LOVE a pastry with a runny egg! Her apricot and crème pâtissière pastries sounded yummy and I loved that they looked like they had an egg on top to echo the savory pastries she made.

I knew that if Stacey could pull off her dough, she would win star baker. It was Larissa's time to go. She was fun to have in the tent but she wasn't consistent enough week to week.

An Extra Slice has been up and down for me, but I loved this week's segment with Dean, Sue, and the crew getting those choux swans into their mouths in one bite!

• Like 1

I can't imagine making those swans. So delicate. The breakfast stuff isn't as interesting to me as other baked goods. I'd rather see breads, pies, desserts of any kind i suppose. I can't really explain why croissants etc aren't all that interesting to me---I think it's cuz I know I will never make them.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2018 at 8:46 AM, rhys said:

can't really explain why croissants etc aren't all that interesting to me---I think it's cuz I know I will never make them.

I might never make some of the stuff we see on the show (see also: choux swans) but I would definitely eat them! 

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo · Reason: Typo
  • Like 1

I looooooove chocolate week! No matter what they make, I know I will be drooling.

Yum, chocolate soufflés! The staggered start time always makes the bakers whisper, so it was kind of hilarious when the judges started speaking at a normal volume.

Since both Jeff and Annabel filled their ramekins to the top, I wish someone would have explained why their soufflés turned out so differently. Jeff's had a nice rise above the rim with straight sides while Annabel's spilled out over the edge of the ramekin. Is it because she left hers in the oven longer? Wow, has Stacey come in last for the technical before? I always think of her as doing well at the technical challenges. Yay for Hannah placing first, especially after all that stress! It was sweet to see Annabel go check on her and give her a hug when Hannah was trying to calm down.

Poor Annabel! I wonder what happened. I felt bad for her because it must have been a difficult decision whether to power through it or quit this close to the finale. And poor Hannah. Seeing her in tears over Annabel and getting a hug from the blonde host shows how close the bakers get. This week is the most I have liked the hosts because they were very supportive during the soufflé challenge and they were also kind to everyone on such an emotional day.

Hannah's cherry and coconut truffle cake with chocolate buttercream and chocolate glaze was very messy looking to me. t didn't look perfectly square and it looked like it was only half done. There was some glaze dripping from the top, but not in that perfect intentional drip kind of way that's so popular.

Jeff's ten layer chocolate mousse cake with pistachio dacquoise, ganache, sponge cake, and raspberry jelly with a red and white chocolate mirror glaze was so pretty. I liked how he combined the two colors of mirror glaze but I kind of wish he had used a toothpick or a spoon to swirl them more.

Stacey's white chocolate cake with strawberry mousse, chocolate buttercream, and pink drizzle was gorgeous. The giant pink flower was so pretty and I loved all the other shards that she added to give it the illusion of motion. I was surprised that she used white chocolate instead of milk or dark chocolate.

Annabel's chocolate cake with plum jam, chocolate bark, and toadstools was a fun idea so I'm sorry we didn't get to see how it turned out. I'm glad the judges ended up not eliminating her due to her illness. It's happened on other Bake Off shows too so it's not like this is the first time it's happened. The other three bakers seemed totally fine with it too. I'm glad that everyone is going to the finale because they're all very good bakers. I can't wait to see what they make next week but I'm so sad that the season will be over!

• Like 1

I feel bad for Annabel, but not for the reason I should. I don’t feel she was ill so much as she has an untreated eating disorder and was starving herself while standing for hours in front of a hot stove and oven. She has so many of the classic signs of anorexia, likely from her time as a ballerina. Did you hear Madeleine ask if they could get her something to eat and she refused anything except “her shakes” which likely have no sugar in them, which is what she needed. The judges have pegged her as the winner from day one, so no surprise they kept her even though her “illness” was having to sit down with low blood sugar. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldCJ said:

I feel bad for Annabel, but not for the reason I should. I don’t feel she was ill so much as she has an untreated eating disorder and was starving herself while standing for hours in front of a hot stove and oven. She has so many of the classic signs of anorexia, likely from her time as a ballerina. Did you hear Madeleine ask if they could get her something to eat and she refused anything except “her shakes” which likely have no sugar in them, which is what she needed. The judges have pegged her as the winner from day one, so no surprise they kept her even though her “illness” was having to sit down with low blood sugar. 

I didn't hear the shakes comment. I don't think she looks super thin but she has celiac sprue so she would have to be careful about what she eats. 

i thought it was odd that Jeff & Annabel both chose to ignore Sue's instructions to fill just 3/4 full. There's a reason, folks. Jeff's souffle looked more "classical" on top tho.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, oldCJ said:

Both of my sisters and I took ballet from the time we could walk through high school (and one of my sisters was also a gymnast) and we have discussed at several points in our lives how crazy it is that none of us developed eating disorders. I was very thin due to my ridiculous metabolism and all the physical activity but I never had an eating disorder. I ate what in retrospect was an obscene amount of food, but I was under 100 pounds until college (and even then I was exactly 110 no matter how much I ate). It wasn't until I was almost 30 that I was able to get past 115 pounds. I look back at pictures of myself from high school and I can now see why people were constantly shoving food at me - my elbows were super pointy and my wrists look as thin as twigs. I have high cheekbones but I was so thin that my face looked gaunt. But I assure you, I ate and ate and ate. I never starved myself. I never made myself vomit. I never counted calories. I never obsessed about food. I ate when I felt like it and I ate a lot of unhealthy junk food/fast food with tons of carbs and fat. I never took supplements beyond Flintstones vitamins. I never had a bad relationship with food or body image issues.

And that's why I hesitate to ever assume that anyone has an eating disorder. If Annabel said she didn't feel well, I'm going to take her at her word and not speculate about her having an eating disorder. If she comes out and says she has an eating disorder, then fine. But until then I'm not going to give her an armchair diagnosis based upon the fact that she's a skinny teenager who used to dance. Yes, there are dancers who have eating disorders, but there are A LOT of dancers who are skinny due to their natural metabolism.

10 hours ago, rhys said:

i thought it was odd that Jeff & Annabel both chose to ignore Sue's instructions to fill just 3/4 full. There's a reason, folks.

I KNOW! Whenever a contestant says that they've made [insert technical challenge] before and that's why they're choosing to deviate from the instructions, most of the time that results in being criticized by the judges for whichever part of the directions they didn't follow. Come on, you guys!

• Like 2

Just getting back to this show. (It's on the bottom of my list until they change the hosts!) I think the breakfast pasteries are okay for a signature challenge, but not a showstopper. And since this version often does not have a showstopper and goes technical / signature, then yeah, it was a bit meh to end the show. 

I can't say I find any of these contestants to be too memorable. But that may be cuz the hosts are so busy sucking up all the air time that I don't really have a good sense of them. 

Really, show? For the season finale, the bakers are making sausage rolls as the final signature? Okay then. Don't get me wrong - meat-filled pastry is delicious, but it seemed a bit basic for the finale.

Stacey's sausage rolls with meat, cheese, and tomato sauce looked great from the side because of all the layers of lamination she got.

Ha, I loved that Hannah's sausage rolls were the opposite of Stacey's with lots of veggies. Her sausage rolls with carrots, courgettes, chicken, and cheese looked a little messy (although I suppose we could be generous and say they looked rustic). I wish they'd told us more about her chutney.

Annabel's sausage rolls with sage pastry, beef, mushrooms, garlic, and smoked paprika and tomato chutney looked nice - very uniform and golden brown.

Jeff's plaited sausage rolls with beef, pork, bacon, carrots, red onion, and kumara (sweet potato to the rest of us) looked so fancy before they went into the oven. They looked a little messier once they were cut but the flavors sounded delicious.

When they announced that the technical challenge was Chelsea buns, I thought OMG are we finally getting an episode with all three challenges? Woo hoo! And the 12 year old in me giggled when Sue was talking about the nice sized buns. Kind of funny that Hannah and Jeff thought that Annabel misunderstood the directions and it turned out that they were the ones who did it incorrectly.

Annabel's rice krispy fish and chips on the beach with raspberry ripple cake looked great. I liked that she had a red and white checked blanket to counter all the brown of the fish, chips, and sand.

Stacey's chocolate mud cake burger with vanilla cake bun, fondant lettuce, tomato, and cheese, and sugar cookie dough fries was nothing new (that's been around for at least a decade because Mr. EB's cousin had a burger cake for his birthday in 2007 - his mom, who is not a baker, made it) but it was well executed. It was colorful and looked like a burger with fries.

Jeff's apple flavored oranges, hazelnet dacquoise butter with chocolate honeycomb rose vanilla tea panna cotta, and white chocolate mousse covered in white chocolate sounded good but didn't look very interesting. Did they ever say what his "bread" was made of? Poppyseed cake?

Hannah's lemon cake picnic basket with buttercream, fondant and chocolate flowers, and mint mousse apples was very pretty.

Annabel was consistently good throughout the season so I'm happy she won. I would have been fine with any of the top four winning. I actually thought Jeff might pull out the win because he did so well in this episode. I will miss his silly dad jokes.

They're already soliciting contestants for S2 (the only requirements is that you are at least 16 years old and you must be a NZ citizen or permanent resident for two years). I love all the Bake Off shows so I'm glad there will be another season!

• Like 1

For me, it doesn't matter whether Annabel was feeling sick or has anorexia, because those are both illnesses. Seeing as how she made it back to the tent for judging and seemed fine, I was thinking maybe it was hot in there and her blood sugar dipped and she got to feeling suddenly very faint. I can get that way too, and I got a good bakers dozen of extra pounds on me! 

I too was totally freaked out when 2 of the contestants went rogue and decided NOT to follow the fill instructions for the souffles mixture! Why would they do that?!?! But then they got praised for "good height". And they did not land in the bottom. That was crazy how much they were bubbling over and then to just cut away the sides like nothing happened! I felt they should have gotten a bit of a ding for that.  

• Like 1

This is me watching the finale... yellow-onion-head-emoticon-01.gif

What the fuck?! There were NO gorgeous bakes. ZERO. First they made freaking sausage rolls that all pretty much looked the same, even in the usually fanciful little illustrations they show of the bakes they looked exactly the same. 

Then the technical is boring old cinnamon buns. 

Then unappetizing illusions cakes! 

Then even though Jeff won the technical and the judges actually seemed most impressed with his showstopper, they inexplicably gave the title to Annabel. dont-no-smiley.gif They didn't really even talk about how her fish cake tasted accept for something like, it's a good cake.  But they talked about what a wonderful magical young lady she was or some shit like that. (?!) Jeff had all kinds of flavors in his cake that they were raving about. Not that I care too much who won cuz I wasn't that invested, but that call seemed shady to me. 

The female judge's most often used comment about any bake has been "mmm". Super insightful.

And because it can not be said enough, the hosts were annoying, unamusing assclowns.  

Sorry, I used up all my Christmas spirit getting through the family dinner! laugh1-smiley.gif

Edited by TVbitch