Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E12: Check Yourself!

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

20 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

So I can see her rushing turndown a bit, trying to get back up and help serve and interact with the guests - thinking she can run back down there and finish later. That's just my little hypothesis. 

Or maybe get back to all that attention from the boys? She sure loves having her hand literally held by Adrian and figuratively by Ashton while he literally holds other parts of her. 

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, roundtheworld said:

Laura does seem rather interested in the boys' attention and did giving mixed signals - 'hold my hand' to Adrian then everything with Ashton. 

Her signals are a little bit mixed with Ashton because she's gone to him when she wants to vent about Kate, but he mostly seems to be her designated make-out guy, while Adrian is her sensitive take care of me guy. The issue is that she doesn't see either as the total package and will ghost both of them as soon as they stop filming.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Mr. Minor said:

Most guys steer clear of pasty, coughing/gagging nutjobs. She's gross. I really, really hated her and Chandler.

No, they don't.   A working dick has no conscience. They'd all fuck her let her do them after a few drinks, and brag about her choking, afterwards.

*present company excepted, of course!*

ETA - if you get giddy over mahi-mahi, you're a fuckin' tourist

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 20
11 hours ago, rideashire said:

How hard is it to pick up some damn towels? Of all the things for Laura to leave undone that's the most stupid and obvious mistake she could make. So weird that she'll just ignore them like no one will notice. If you wanna slack off be smarter about it.

Thats the problem.  It’s just hard to believe that any stew would do that.  If I was in a hotel and they didn’t replace the wet towels on the floor it would be unacceptable and I would call housekeeping.  I’m not one to think something was planted, but maybe... I would be surprised if Laura gets the axe without a replacement because they need someone for the drama in the show.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, MrsWitter said:

See, I didn’t find that funny at all. It was pretty offensive and prejudicial. I’m normally #teamKate, but I sorta wanted to *whack* her (and the rest of the crew throwing around ethnic stereotypes). Unfortunately, despite being Italian and Sicilian, I don’t know anyone in the mafia. But I’m only half so maybe that’s why? I’ll have to check with my dark-skinned Dad.

I’m trying to make light of it here, but it actually bothered me quite a bit throughout the episode (and it looks like it continues next week). Ethnic prejudice is never a good look and it’s damaging, not humorous. 

I agree.  The crew sounded like people who have never seen Italian-American people before, except in Godfather movies, or Real Housewives of NJ.  

• Love 11
1 hour ago, ghoulina said:

I think Laura wants a lot of camera time; and she resents that Kate keeps sending her to do stuff off camera, while the guests are elsewhere. So I can see her rushing turndown a bit, trying to get back up and help serve and interact with the guests - thinking she can run back down there and finish later. That's just my little hypothesis. 

My goodness she is exhausting.  I'm very much an obvious, unapologetic Kate fan but I loved her staying so calm when Laura was getting worked up.  Back when my friends and I were young and ridiculous dramatic drinkers (we are still drinkers-just more of a "lovely nose on this merlot" now), staying super calm was my favorite tactic when someone was shrieking or fighting.

I don't know how to do quotes from two different pages, but I want to second MrsWitter's comment on the conversation between Ashton and Ross in the beginning.  The real love on this boat.

• Love 23

I think that Kate did the right thing by trying to take the conversation away from the primarys earshot. Hearing them disagree could ruin a good meal. 

Laura just needs to buck up and do her job. I’m tired of seeing her roll her eyes behind Kate’s back (example: WhenKate had Rhylee help carry the dinner service). She came onto this yacht thinking that she was going to be the star, but hasn’t even earned a twinkle. 

• Love 23

Did anyone else notice, when Laura told Kate she needed to check herself, how dark Kate eyes got. It was as if Kate was holding in the demon that wanted to reach out and eviscerate Laura. And it wasn't at all certain that Kate would succeed. Me? I was hoping for the demon to come out and annihilate Laura with Wolverine-like claws of adamantium,  claws of righteous rath. Oooh, yeah, ahhhhh.

Edited by Skycatcher
  • Love 21
13 hours ago, Kdawg82 said:

Laura is a chatterbox and has a low self esteem. I can already tell much of her behavior comes from a need for validation.  Nothing about her to particularly *like.* So idk why Adrian and Ashton are all about that.

Scarcity of choice

4 hours ago, MrsWitter said:

Richard’s last name was Fiore and he (and his fiancée) made a comment about the boat decor looking “Italian.” And based simply on being Italian and knowing a lot of Italians, Richard looked pretty Italian to me.

So you are making assumptions based on how they look?  😁  

• Love 5

A quick point of reference:

Italian (mostly Mediterranean) Women would wear all black as a sign of mourning. It’s called “in lutto “.  Once women became widowed they would remain in morning for the rest of their lives. Which is why we come to associate “little old Italian Grandmas “ as dressed in all black. 

Family members would wear black for a month as a sign of being in mourning. Men in particular would wear a black band around their arms. 

• Love 9
35 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I think that Kate did the right thing by trying to take the conversation away from the primarys earshot. Hearing them disagree could ruin a good meal. 

Laura just needs to buck up and do her job. I’m tired of seeing her roll her eyes behind Kate’s back (example: WhenKate had Rhylee help carry the dinner service). She came onto this yacht thinking that she was going to be the star, but hasn’t even earned a twinkle. 

And by the way she’s only been onboard 48 hours?  It’s hard for Laura to get that she’s not all that!

• Love 8
3 hours ago, esco1822 said:

Or maybe get back to all that attention from the boys? She sure loves having her hand literally held by Adrian and figuratively by Ashton while he literally holds other parts of her. 

That definitely could be part of it. I just see her really wanting to be where the "action" is. 

2 hours ago, dleighg said:

Having three co-primaries is awkward in the "giving out the staterooms" department. The guest bedrooms are way less nice with those small almost-porthole windows.

I agree; and I would have liked knowing how they handle that. Take turns? Draw straws? 

• Love 3

Another example in the Laura left the towels at one point when they are in the stateroom she tells Kate that Kate could have told her about the towel issue.

I don’t understand how Laura thinks she has any credibility in yelling at Kate for moving their discussion downstairs. She wasn’t impolite and she was going to listen to her during dinner service even though that conversation absolutely did not have to happen right then but she still told her she would hear her out she just wanted it far away from the guests. 

• Love 17
1 hour ago, Diane Mars said:

An advice to Laura : when you want to say "F.U" to your boss, the BEST way to do it, is doing YOUR JOB and SHOW that you don't only have your mouth running, but the skills to back that up ! This is how to do it. And, also, listen, and learn to read a room when you're the newbie, before telling your NEW BOSS that all the work done before you get there is shitty. The difference between Rhiley and you ? Rhiley GETS THE JOB DONE. You don't.

There's a reason viewers think Amy is a rockstar. When Kate was busy being a catty nasty hosebeast to Amy in season 2, Amy was killing it. She was beloved by guests and Captain Lee. She was professional and personable, which left Kate scowling about how Amy smiled too much. And the show did touch on the fact that women are expected to be smiling to elevate the guests' moods in ways they would never expect of men. No one ever expects the bosuns or Lee to be grinning from ear to ear. Regardless, if you're good at your job, people will give you a pass. Laura is not great at her job AND complaining that the work on this ship is beneath her. Ok, then quit. Find yourself something befitting your skills and talent. I'm sure the Hannah Ferrier school of yachting has some openings.

33 minutes ago, scenicbyway said:

So Kate calls Laura down to the guestrooms to show her how to do turndown since its evident at this point that she doesn't know how to and Laura tells her to check herself?  That it's not Kate's job to check Laura?  What?  Kate made the right call in asking her to come down, go through the process and ask if she understood.  She didn't call her out in front of anyone, she didn't have Josiah show Laura, she did it herself.  I've had issues with staff like this too in my work and it doesn't end well.  Some people cannot be supervised. 

How is Laura so unprofessional that she can't understand why Kate would move to have the conversation where it cannot be overheard by guests? Ross had to do the same thing with Rhylee. Rhylee at least has the excuse of being a sitcom husband/dad (drunk, belligerent, loud, coarse, but mostly well meaning) and Chandler treating her terribly. Laura is self-important and obnoxious. She's been in two episodes and it feels like the guests are almost an after thought to her.

• Love 24
12 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

There's a reason viewers think Amy is a rockstar. When Kate was busy being a catty nasty hosebeast to Amy in season 2, Amy was killing it. She was beloved by guests and Captain Lee. She was professional and personable, which left Kate scowling about how Amy smiled too much...

Exactly. Let your work speak for you.

• Love 12

So, basically, all you need to do to shut Rhylee up is twiddle her twaddle? What a moron she is. Oh, and that 'boat' she's CAPTAIN OF, is more like a floating utility sink...hardly on a par with My Seanna. Girl is just off her rocker.

Tyler? Way to whore yourself out on national TV dude. Well done you scumbag. He's probably never met a hole he didn't like.

• Love 6
49 minutes ago, Barbara Please said:

Bold move for a guy who has yet to see Angry Rhylee.

This is what I am dying to see play out, he already didn’t look super into her “flirting” with him when they were working add in the previews and he clearly doesn’t make the best decisions when living in extremly close quarters with someone as volatile as Rhylee.

Also, newsflash Laura going on the tinder wasn’t a punishment it was a reward for her for not having to deal with your ass for a few hours. She employed a similar strategy by assigning Rocky to Leon, Rocky loved it because she was interested in cooking and that was fewer hours that Kate had to deal with her. It’s actually a great strategy for a situation like this where she doesn’t have control of hiring and firing and are trapped together. 

• Love 12
7 hours ago, Pickles said:

I don't know why Rylee bothers wearing any clothes when she goes out. She should just stick to her thong and some pasties and call it a night. 

That was the trashiest  look ever. And I can throw down f bombs with the best of them but telling your boss to "shut the fuck up motherfucker"? ( especially to Ross who I adore) . Can not stand her and don't know why her ass hasn't been fired yet . I cannot believe she would be tolerated anywhere in real life. She was completely disrespectful and came off as a psycho bitch on WWHL a few weeks ago too  Nothing good about her

Kate- I live for you girl. 

New stew bitch - cannot wait to see how Kate deals with your idiocy next week. And drop the valley girl accent - you're from Canada dumbass. Always wanting to be the center of attention is not a good look on anyone  STFU and do your job. Or get off the boat and go hook up with Caroline  You two can tweet together

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Ashton, I like you but no, Kate is not threatened by new stew. You'll say anything to get laid.

Edited by Lady of nod
Added
  • Love 23
1 hour ago, HunterHunted said:

There's a reason viewers think Amy is a rockstar. When Kate was busy being a catty nasty hosebeast to Amy in season 2, Amy was killing it. She was beloved by guests and Captain Lee. She was professional and personable, which left Kate scowling about how Amy smiled too much. And the show did touch on the fact that women are expected to be smiling to elevate the guests' moods in ways they would never expect of men. No one ever expects the bosuns or Lee to be grinning from ear to ear. Regardless, if you're good at your job, people will give you a pass. Laura is not great at her job AND complaining that the work on this ship is beneath her. Ok, then quit. Find yourself something befitting your skills and talent. I'm sure the Hannah Ferrier school of yachting has some openings.

See that’s the thing. Even when the third stew is great and loved by the captain,crew and guests Kate still attacks and treats them like crap. Kate says she is all about the job but she is really about teams and mean girl bullshit. The producers must have said something since this season she is trying to pretend otherwise but her shittyness leaks out of her. Mocking the guests and trashing her subordinates are what she does. Please give us a new chief stew. I know they want some continuity but it is just not worth it. They dumped Ben and now it is time to dump her nasty ass. Keep Ross and Asthon. Shit make Josiah chief stew. 

Something has to give.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, hisbunkie said:

Italian (mostly Mediterranean) Women would wear all black as a sign of mourning. It’s called “in lutto “.  Once women became widowed they would remain in morning for the rest of their lives. Which is why we come to associate “little old Italian Grandmas “ as dressed in all black. 

Family members would wear black for a month as a sign of being in mourning. Men in particular would wear a black band around their arms. 

But Italian men were not expected to mourn forever.

Dicks.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

So you are making assumptions based on how they look?  😁  

I knew after I posted it I should have clarified that comment, but was sorta exhausted from the subject. It wasn’t really an assumption so much as an informed opinion. What I should have said is:

Based on knowing his last name (Italian), watching he and his fiancée comment on the boat “looking Italian,” and then seeing his facial features (which do look Southern Italian and remind me of the features members of my family possess and I possess- to a certain degree- even though I am light skinned from my Mom’s side), I reasonably concluded he was at least part Italian.

I actually have no idea whether the fiancée is Italian or not and haven’t assumed either way. But Richard has certain facial features that are common amongst Italians I’m related to and know in the heavily Italian area I grew up in. Which is probably why the crew’s jokes pissed me off more than it might have normally.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, noveltylibrary said:

It came out as thrashed in the cc.

yup, that's what I heard and saw too. I was going to go back and check, so thanks for this. I was thinking when I saw it that it was maybe some West Coast Skateboi slang for something derogatory, cos Chef Unicorn was green with envy and hugging that pillow. And she made him repeat it like it was a problem. It looked like they were going to have an argument in this sequence as she is trying to get out and up to the Crow's Nest with Ashton and Adrian is making some kind of comment that pulled her up. Ashton was outside the door waiting and they kept going back and forth with the cameras between the cabin and Ashton outside.

• Love 2

Note to Laura --

Perhaps you can explain to all of us if you're such an outstanding Chief Stew why you were unemployed and available when called up and why you are willing to work as a third stew.

By the way, I was wondering something.....when this charter arrived, did Capt. Lee say "Welcome aboard Motor Yacht Sienna"?" Oh my heck, I've been referring to the boat as "My Sienna" all this time!  

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Carolina Girl said:

third stew.

By the way, I was wondering something.....when this charter arrived, did Capt. Lee say "Welcome aboard Motor Yacht Sienna"?" Oh my heck, I've been referring to the boat as "My Sienna" all this time!  

I think he was differentiating it from sailing yachts.  Of course these people having owned luxury yachts themselves would see that, but maybe he was trying to give a nod to their familiarity with the yachting world.  

• Love 5
47 minutes ago, Honey said:

I noticed that.  I guess I'm not the only one who always has the CC on.

The show subtitled it so even if you didn’t have cc on it read thrashed on the screen.

Yes, Motor Yacht is used to deferrentiate it from a sailing yacht and is commonly used. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

But Italian men were not expected to mourn forever.

Dicks.

Walnut Queen, can we be friends?  You may be the child that was taken from me at birth. 

YES!  I have often brought this up at family discussions when I was a mere child. Men did not show an outward sign that said “I’m alone, look the other way”.  My Italian/Spanish family just thought of me as uppity. 

Another bit of info that will boil your Feminist blood...post widowhood, women in European Countries were addressed in writing as. “Mary Smith Widdow of Jones”. Males continued with their own names. Good ole days?

• Love 10

i am browsing Cameo for my daughter's birthday, and I was considering Kate. If I saw this pic of her, I would NOT recognise it as the Kate Chastain we all know and love. I'm useless at working out why, but please, someone else tell me what is going on? I don't have the skills to copy just the pic over, but here is the link:

https://www.cameo.com/kate_chastain

Who is this woman? 

this season, Kate is definitely looking gaunt and her hair is everywhere. I get the hair due to the humidity in the South Pacific. But the long nights and maybe some of her rumoured entertainments are having their way with her facial features.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, hisbunkie said:

I am of Sicilian ancestry and I also thought she might be in mourning. However, normally when someone is in mourning they would not take an extravagant vacation ...so I got nuthin’.

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, Snewtsie said:

I am of Sicilian ancestry and I also thought she might be in mourning. However, normally when someone is in mourning they would not take an extravagant vacation ...so I got nuthin’.

Pretty certain that it’s just her look and also not the first time a person has made a  Morticia Adams joke about her.

• Love 15
14 hours ago, laprin said:

I think Laura meant to collect the towels at the end and in her rush forgot she still left them on the floor. When I clean a room, dirty towels and trash bags are the last things I collect because they require me to leave the room. Laura has a big issue admitting when she is wrong. It was the broken glasses all over again.  Merely holding Laura accountable for her job makes Kate a bitch to some.  Kate did not yell at Laura or disparage her. Her tone was harsh.  Not all bosses are coddlers. Thank goodness I’ve never needed coddling to do my job. 

Kate was being very passive aggressive towards Laura since she arrived on the boat.  I think she has behaved that way with many of the stewardesses who have worked under her.  Look at her behavior with Amy on her first season.  Kate is a mean spirited person who plays the two against one game with her stews.  Bosses should not have to coddle their employees but they should always treat them with respect.  Her attitude when checking Laura's work was not meant to be instructive it was "let me catch your screw up so I can berate you for it".  Laura let her anger at Kate's treatment of her got the best of her but she wasn't wrong.  Kate needs to stop being such a passive aggressive bitch to her co-workers and underlings.  She jumped to slam Laura without considering the fact that maybe a guest had gone back to the cabin and left the towels on the floor.  Frankly, I would not put it past Kate to put the towels on the floor herself.  Laura has been on Kate's shit list from the moment she found out Laura had been a chief stew.  Like most passive aggressive people, Kate is a really insecure person.  Laura is in her twenties and is very attractive.  Kate is in her mid thirties and due to her drinking, looks like she is in her mid forties.  

• Love 8