Type keyword(s) to search

Us (2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Written, co-produced and directed by Jordan Peele. Starring Lupita Nyong'o, Winston Duke, Elisabeth Moss, and Tim Heidecker. The film is scheduled to be released on March 22, 2019.

A mother (Lupita Nyong'o) and a father (Winston Duke) take their children to their beach house expecting to unplug and unwind with friends (Elisabeth Moss and Tim Heidecker). But as night descends, their serenity turns to tension and chaos when some shocking visitors arrive uninvited.

Trailer drops December 25, 2018.

Yep, this is a theater movie for me.  If I wait to watch it at home I'll have to sleep with the lights on.  If I see it in theaters then the reactions of everyone around me will break some of the tension.  I'll definitely do a double feature and see something happy/silly/shallow after as an extra precaution. 

This looks really good.  I love watching actors pull off multiple characters at once. 

• Love 9

Man, I can never understand how people are so scared of movies. It's not real life so it creates a disconnect. 

I was going to see the movie anyway but this looks awesome. Almost looks like a mix of It Follows with The Strangers.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, luckyroll3 said:

This trailer was amazing and I can't wait to see this movie.

Ditto. Get Out was brilliant, this cast is fire, and I like scary movies. I'm so in.

(I think the theme is that we all cave to our worst impulses - we can all be monsters/monstrous, but we'll see!)

• Love 6

I just saw this trailer and it's amazing.

I've read somewhere that the theme could be about W.E.B. Du Bois’ theory of Double Consciousness: (Du Bois, W. E. B. The Souls of Black Folk. New York, Avenel, NJ: Gramercy Books)

It is a peculiar sensation, this double-consciousness, this sense of always looking at one's self through the eyes of others, of measuring one's soul by the tape of a world that looks on in amused contempt and pity. One ever feels his two-ness,—an American, a Negro; two souls, two thoughts, two unreconciled strivings; two warring ideals in one dark body, whose dogged strength alone keeps it from being torn asunder.

The history of the American Negro is the history of this strife – this longing to attain self-conscious manhood, to merge his double self into a better and truer self. In this merging he wishes neither of the older selves to be lost. He does not wish to Africanize America, for America has too much to teach the world and Africa. He wouldn't bleach his Negro blood in a flood of white Americanism, for he knows that Negro blood has a message for the world. He simply wishes to make it possible for a man to be both a Negro and an American without being cursed and spit upon by his fellows, without having the doors of opportunity closed roughly in his face.

• Love 9
(edited)

I don't really do horror, so  I won't watch it, but yes the trailer is very freaky. What is with all the rabbits, my only thought is that maybe the doppelgangers are some kind of experimentation ? But that doesn't seem to be the feel of the movie. However, the multiple rabbits must tie in to the multiple people somehow, right  ?  The little girl scared me the most LOL heck no I won't be seeing this.

I once made the mistake of watching "The Other" because I turned the television on at 3am on a Saturday morning. I had to sleep with all the lights in my apartment on. 

The Other is an awesome low key thriller for any of you who like that kind of thing. It features a very young John Ritter in a minor role, Uta Hagen(Robin Williams' drama teacher) and Diana Muldaur as the mother of the twin boys. Just don't watch it by yourself at 3am in the morning.  It takes a lot to unsettle or rattle me, I don't normally consider myself a "wuss". Which is why I still remember "The Other" to this day, even though it's probably been close to ten years that I've seen it last.  Just a recommendation if anyone is interested. The book came first-written by Thomas Tryon, who also wrote the movie script.

Edited by IWantCandy71
  • Love 3

I suck at watching horrors, trailers are normally enough for me. I just read the Wikipedia plot and wait for CinemaSins to do a video to show me the movie. But after watching the trailer, I won't be surprised if the movie ends with the audience thinking the good person killed the bad doppelganger but then its revealed to us that the doppelganger actually survived.

I also won't be surprised if the

Spoiler

twins of the white couple

are actually good person/bad doppelganger. I out it in spoilers as I can't remember if they appear in the trailer but Wikipedia lists them. And I'm not brave enough to watch the trailer again to check.

• Love 1

Damn fine movie.  Jordan did another fantastic job.  I'm not going to spoil anything but I will say that he laid out the story brilliantly and I was completely satisfied with the resolution.  The acting was excellent as well.  Those kids were scary as hell. 

• Love 10

Though everyone did a great job acting in this, Lupita was the standout. She is amazing. Once again I see why she is an Oscar winner. 

For those who fear this will be “scary”. It isn’t. At least not to me. There was some suspense and creepiness, but not scary. IMO.

This movie leaves a lot to deconstruct, but I don’t know if I’d say it was good. I’ll need some time to think about that. 

I will say the twist at the end was on the level of M. Knight Shyamalan’s movie twists. Didn’t see that coming. Lol. Again I’ll have to think more on this one to decide if it’s good or not. 

• Love 6
On 3/16/2019 at 10:07 PM, Bill1978 said:

But after watching the trailer, I won't be surprised if the movie ends with the audience thinking the good person killed the bad doppelganger but then its revealed to us that the doppelganger actually survived.

OK, now tell us what's in the Mueller Report.

The thing I really didn't expect was the scope of the doppelganger thing. I just thought it would be specific to Adelaide. And why rabbits? What's the deal there?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

And why rabbits? What's the deal there?

The Tethered came from down the rabbit hole and rabbits are used in experimentation.  I'm sure there's other rabbit related symbolism but those are the two that stood out to me.

• Love 3

Terrible horror movie. Half decent comedy.

There really was absolutely zero in terms of suspense, creepiness, or anything else one might associate with a horror movie. It wasn't totally bad though - some good performances and memorable moments.

9 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

The Tethered came from down the rabbit hole and rabbits are used in experimentation.  I'm sure there's other rabbit related symbolism but those are the two that stood out to me.

Yeah, that's why Peele used them, but why did 'they' use them? And why only rabbits? And why raw? No ovens in the underground?

• Love 2
On 3/16/2019 at 10:07 PM, Bill1978 said:

I won't be surprised if the movie ends with the audience thinking the good person killed the bad doppelganger but then its revealed to us that the doppelganger actually survived.

I grew up watching The Twilight Zone, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, The Outer Limits and One Step Beyond.  I immediately knew this would be the case (LOL).  

• Love 4

Jordan Peele really blows me away as a filmmaker, he has so much confidence, even after just making two films, including this one. He really was the perfect person to man the new Twilight Zone, he has a gift for mixing storytelling, allegory, and horror in ways that not many people do in the mainstream. 

Not quite the instant classic that Get Out was, but an excellent film none the less. Not getting too much into spoilers, but the story was strong, the performances were outstanding, and the big twist was something that I kind of wondered would happen, but not in the way that it actually happened, if that makes sense. I really want to see it again, so I can deep dive more into what it means, and pick up more of what I missed the first time.

• Love 8

Really good film.  No sophomore jinx for Jordan Peele and that bodes even better for The Twilight Zone.  Winston Duke is a lot of fun and the actors playing the kids did a good job.  But this is Lupita's film and she really delivers.

Peele is a hell of a lot better than M. Night Shyamalan when it comes to building these kind of stories and actually delivering.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 6

I thought this was very good.  Lupita was very good in both roles and made effective use of not only her voice but different body movements, though Winston Duke steals a couple of scenes.  The kids were good too and there was a believable family vibe - the scene in the car where they are reciting their kills got a big laugh from the audience.   The film is well blended with comedic bits, some horror and overall suspense.  The doppelganger twist wasn't surprising (Lupita's is the only one who talks, though it's obvious she hasn't in a long time) but was still dropped into the movie at the right time. 

I quibble with the long bit of exposition from the doppelganger - I think the film would have been stronger without the explanation.  They were created and left behind?  My mind wandered - where did they get food?  Where did the rabbits get food?  Can you really survive eating only raw rabbit?  Didn't the Lupita little girl talk to anyone?  Where did they get matching red jumpsuits and matching scissors?  Where did they get clothes, for that matter?  Did all that stuff just create around them?  Do they have souls now that they killed their doubles?    That kind of thing, which for me, if the scene didn't go on so long, I wouldn't have pondered during the movie.  

The scenes of the Tethered acting out what the people above ground were doing was effectively creepy, as was the last "Hands across America" shot.

Knowing that the surviving Lupita was the original Tethered child raises interesting questions about how she ended up living an apparently successful life above ground while the original above ground child went feral living below ground, could have been explored a bit more.  Though maybe not exploring it directly in the movie is the point. 

• Love 8
11 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

I grew up watching The Twilight Zone, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, The Outer Limits and One Step Beyond.  I immediately knew this would be the case (LOL).  

I only ever saw a few episodes of one of these shows, but figured out that young Adelaide had to have switched with the double as soon as it was revealed that she wouldn't talk after her return. Well, of course not, I thought, Little Red was adjusting to a whole new world. Adult Adelaide (the real Red? Redalaide?) was so scared the doppelganger would come back for revenge because she stole her life.

As much as I found the twist obvious, IMO but the movie kind of needs it to work because it's making a statement about how people can flourish and thrive if given the opportunity. You have the privileged who might think about the less advantaged every once in a while in a cursory way (Hands Across America), but ultimately go back to their comfortable lives while the have nots suffer, with growing resentment toward the elite. However, Adelaide shows that with things like attention, a caring family, and exposure to the arts, even a supposedly "soulless" child who didn't start off in the best circumstances can grow into a kind, empathetic adult, making friends, finding love and becoming a doting parent. But the majority of the Tethered didn't get that opportunity, so they could be persuaded to rise up and destroy the status quo that never benefited them. And Red used the imagery from her old childhood to do it (though I'm not sure where they got so many red jumpsuits from, movie magic, I guess).

Jason (with the perpetual mask, nice horror Easter egg, along with Elisabeth Moss's horrible twin daughters out of The Shining) is more like the Tethered than his sister. That's why he was always just a bit "off" compared to Zora, why he dug sand tunnels at the beach instead of sand castles, and why he was able to control his doppelganger in the end. Adelaide loves both of her children but seemed closer to/more protective of him, and not just because he was younger. At the end, it's clear he understands what his mother is and the secret they share. 

Loving this the more I think about it, definitely want to see it again before it leaves theaters.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 23

I saw this movie yesterday.  Walked INTO the movie so excited and psyched . . . walked OUT afterwards so confused and disappointed. I had trouble following the plot and turned to YouTube videos to hear about analyses, theories, etc. I wish I loved this movie like so many others in this topic thread.  Maybe I should go see it again? If I do it will be a few weeks out.  I am still processing this movie.

That said, Lupita Nygong'o OWNED her role and was stellar. Winston Duke was a great presence. I thought the little boy playing Jason was very effective and adorable.  

Ultimately, I am very happy for Jordan Peele and the success of this movie. It's always good to see a movie break records.

• Love 1
On 3/22/2019 at 10:15 PM, AimingforYoko said:

The thing I really didn't expect was the scope of the doppelganger thing. I just thought it would be specific to Adelaide.

Me too. I know the notion is that EVERYONE has a doppelgänger, but I didn't think that would be the case here. That was a twist unto itself.

21 hours ago, benteen said:

Winston Duke is a lot of fun

He's really funny as the dorky dad! Everything with boats and Gabe was great. Actually, overall I was surprised by how much humor there was. The code-switching Gabe did when he was threatening the Red family - "The cops are already on they way!" - had my theater (mostly Black audience) howling. Also when Red Josh reached his hand down to dying Elizabeth Moss (I forget her name) and then did the "too slow" thing, we all cracked up.

Me (out loud, the people on either side of me heard me and laughed), when Adelaide told Jason everything would be just like it was before: "I mean ..." Jason saw his mother and sister kill a bunch of people. HE killed people. Nothing is the way it was before.

• Love 3

Count me in as loving it.  I'd considered going opening night but realized I'd better wait until the weekend so I could see it during the daytime.  As it was, I still immediately closed all my curtains when I got home from the theater yesterday and spent the evening with all the lights on.  (Wimp?)

First of all, maybe it's just me, but it felt like the trailers didn't show much of Winston Duke AFTER the initial "they look like us" meeting with the Tethered, so I'd had Gabe pegged as the most likely to be killed in one of those early "we're not messing around" deaths.  As such, I was SO tense whenever he was in danger and was pleasantly surprised when he made it through the whole film.  I loved Gabe, his enthusiasm, and his dorky dad jokes, and it's a credit to the movie and Duke's performance that, despite his obvious size, his early attempt to intimidate the Tethered is so laughable.

The whole cast did a great job with the Tethered versions of themselves, making them all feel "off" in ways that were similar but not identical:  Pluto being so animalistic, Umbrae's silence and that creepy smile, Abraham's wordless vocalizing (loved the moment when he took Gabe's glasses.)  And of course, Lupita's performances as both characters was on a whole other level.  It was Orphan Black-levels of awesome, where I completely forgot at points that Lupita was playing both of them.

I loved that the Tethered were so creepy and dangerous but at the same time oddly sympathetic.  When Red (yeah, I know how tangled up that whole thing gets - the one in the jumpsuit) gave that description of what her life has been like, it was full-on horrifying.  Her and Abraham being forced to have sex because Adelaide and Gabe were, getting pregnant whenever Adelaide was, having to cut Pluto out of her?  HORRIFIC.  And I felt for all of the others seeming so half-formed.  Adelaide's more compassionate moments with both Umbrae and Pluto as they died were affecting as well.

As for the big twist, it mostly works for me.  I'd wondered on and off about the possibility of Red and Adelaide having switched places in the House of Mirrors (in part because I was aware that we hadn't seen the shot from the trailer of little Red choking little Adelaide,) and after Adelaide killed Red and was grunting/making animal noises, I wondered briefly if Red's consciousness had somehow passed into Adelaide's body.  But even despite all those suppositions, that final flashback still got me.  I'm still turning it all over in my head, but for me, the only place where it really strains credibility is in that scene in the "classroom" where Red gave the long exposition about the Tethered.  Why would she tell Adelaide all this when they both know Adelaide is really one of the Tethered?

That said, it really helps when it comes to the family's survival.  While I don't doubt that Red's ultimate plan was for Adelaide and the others to all be killed, it was more complicated for her than it was for, say, Josh and Kitty's Tethered, who immediately killed their counterparts and got it over with.  For Red, though, this was a reckoning.  Adelaide was the only person on the surface who already knew about the Tethered and KNEW what would happen to Red below with her every action, she was the only who left Red there ("you could have taken me with you.")  But at the same time, having experienced what it's like to be Tethered herself, I imagine Red did have at least one small flicker of sympathy for Adelaide's childhood decision to switch places.  After all, she had to understand the feeling of being willing to do anything to get out of there, no matter what.  It all adds up to this intense link between them that couldn't just be severed quickly.  And that connection then extended outward.  Just like Adelaide felt ever so slightly maternal towards Umbrae and Pluto, Red probably recognized the fact that Zora and Jason are, in a way, half-Tethered themselves.  (I dunno about Gabe - he maybe got a minor pass just for his romantic connection with Adelaide?  He must've had something, though.  Dude got his knee bashed in early on and he STILL made it to the end!)  So, while Josh and Kitty's family were instantly killed, Pluto sat in that closet with Jason waiting to see his magic trick, Umbrae stood on top of that car and then just stared at Zora, and Abraham PUT GABE IN A BAG and dragged him into the boat rather than just killing him.  With Adelaide, it extended to the other Tethered as well, like her getting handcuffed in Josh and Kitty's house rather than killed and the way Kitty's Tethered threatened her with the scissors but never actually used it - on some level, they recognized that Adelaide was like them once, and that seemed to hold them back.  It's a nice way to make the protagonist plot armor actually justified within the story.

• Love 12

I thought it sucked. I was disappointed. I’m hoping he doesn’t turn into M. Night Shamaylan, whose movies I refuse to pay to see in a theater again. No doubt Jordan is a great filmmaker, but this was garbage, in my opinion. 

• Love 2
On 3/23/2019 at 5:58 PM, raven said:

The film is well blended with comedic bits, some horror and overall suspense.  The doppelganger twist wasn't surprising (Lupita's is the only one who talks, though it's obvious she hasn't in a long time) but was still dropped into the movie at the right time. 

I quibble with the long bit of exposition from the doppelganger - I think the film would have been stronger without the explanation.  They were created and left behind?  My mind wandered - where did they get food?  Where did the rabbits get food?  Can you really survive eating only raw rabbit?  Didn't the Lupita little girl talk to anyone?  Where did they get matching red jumpsuits and matching scissors?  Where did they get clothes, for that matter?  Did all that stuff just create around them?  Do they have souls now that they killed their doubles?    That kind of thing, which for me, if the scene didn't go on so long, I wouldn't have pondered during the movie.  

Great points and great questions. There were many things I enjoyed about the movie, but also many things that made me say, huh??

I saw the movie with my teenage sons, and we had a lengthy discussion afterwards about the movie and what it meant. We were all confused and had tons of questions. Probably the biggest question was: did We like it? And that took a surprisingly long time for me to answer. 

First, the good: there were some great performances, especially from Lupita. I liked the entire Wilson family. Elisabeth Moss as well. The child actors were good, and their doppelganger performances where even better.  Visually, the movie was stunning. And the music was eerily haunting--it was perfect.

But in terms of whether I actually liked the movie..I will say that it wasn't as viscerally satisfying as other horror/thriller movies I've loved throughout the years, e.g. Get Out, Poltergeist, The Shining, Se7en, or The Sixth Sense. I didn't mind that it wasn't scary, but I don't like sitting through a movie that creates a supernatural world, but I can't figure out how that world works. Or why that world works. Us has some significant potholes IMO. 

Why do the tethered exist? I think we got a throw-away line about someone creating clones for some kind of mind-control experiments. Who created the tethers? What were these so-called mind-control experiments? Why were the tethered people later abandoned? And why are there so many fucking rabbits running around? How do the rabbits eat and continue to reproduce? 

I get that the tethered are psychically linked to their above-ground shadows, and the lives of the tethered mirror the lives of the people above ground. That part was actually really cool. But what I don't understand is whether the psychic linking can go both ways. Lupita (I can't remember her character's name) was kidnapped by her shadow and left underground, correct? So the Lupita who grew up above ground, got married, and had children was actually the shadow person. If that's the case, then how was she able to psychically influence the "real" Lupita? When shadow Lupita was above ground dancing in a ballet recital, the real Lupita was underground dancing ballet. How did that happen? When shadow Lupita got married and had kids, the real Lupita also married her shadow husband and had shadow kids. Again, how did this 'reverse' tethering happen? 

I've been listening to podcast reviews for answers, and I definitely want to see the movie again to see if a second viewing will help clear up any of these questions.

• Love 4
On 3/23/2019 at 4:58 PM, raven said:

I won't see the movie but out of curiosity I did read the summary and spoilers. And to me the whole thing sounds like it was just full of things that the writer just threw  in and expected people not to question. Since someone mentioned M.Night Shyamalan up above, I'll just mention that if he'd done the same thing in the same type of movie, #1 the critics would all trash it because that's what they do, but #2 a lot of other people would rip that kind of thing apart if he did it. So I do have to feel sorry for Jordan Peele if he continues to do that, because eventually people will notice it and get tired of it. You can only get away with that kind of thing for a while before people start hating you for the very thing they used to love.

Just ask M.Night-some people hate him just for the sake of the hate, which is sad. 

I do get that in the end, it's really not about the plot-which isn't all that original-but how it is carried out, I guess. It just all sounds kind of not all that great on paper, if I'm being honest. I mean, tunnel people, really ? 

Eh.

Supposedly the "Bigger twist" isn't the Adelaide switch which isn't that much of a twist but that Jason was switched a year ago after his grandmother's death. 

So the end shot is of both "tethers".

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, JBC344 said:

Supposedly the "Bigger twist" isn't the Adelaide switch which isn't that much of a twist but that Jason was switched a year ago after his grandmother's death. 

So the end shot is of both "tethers".

TF??  When/how was this revealed?

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, topanga said:

TF??  When/how was this revealed?

It actually wasn't "revealed" as in spelled out but that is the ongoing theory online. I will do a much later post but the clues are; not remembering the magic trick, the father mentioning how the son changed after the last visit to the house, both Jason and Adelaide not eating the same food as the family, Jason's new found use of bad language. 

More to come. 

21 minutes ago, JBC344 said:

It actually wasn't "revealed" as in spelled out but that is the ongoing theory online. I will do a much later post but the clues are; not remembering the magic trick, the father mentioning how the son changed after the last visit to the house, both Jason and Adelaide not eating the same food as the family, Jason's new found use of bad language. 

More to come. 

How did the tether learn human language?  and how did the original Jason lose his humanity? Since Adelaide is a Tether wouldn't it be possible that he just inherited his mother's genes, whereas Zora took after her dad.  

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, JBC344 said:

More to come. 

The technical problem I have with that theory is (as @Apprentice79 said) is how would real Jason have regressed so fast and how would fake Jason have acclimated so quickly?  Further, the fake Adelaide wouldn't have recognized the switch and wouldn't have wanted her son back?  Or was she too scared of being replaced that it didn't matter?  We do see her have empathy for both tethered children when they die (a moment of solidarity even though she's desperately trying to escape that life?) so it's not like we see her mourn her actual son but not Umbrae.

The more encompassing problem I have with that theory is that I'm not sure how I feel about something that wasn't revealed on film as the "big twist."  I'm not saying I need everything spelled out for me to enjoy the film, there's still a ton to unpack here, but the fun of a Sixth Sense/Usual Suspects is getting there/realizing it in the moment.  It's way less satisfying to read about it on the internet three days later.  I think Peele did a good job of giving us what we needed to know regarding the Adelaide/Red backstory without taking the fun out of finding the clues in subsequent viewings.  Again, I'm not against ambiguity, but something as big as a Jason switch with the holes that have been pointed out and no explanation would feel cheap.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 7

Trust me I had all those same questions and more. If you have the time go to YouTube and type in "Us ending explained/ Jason twist" you can see all the ways in which people explain it. 

Now their explanations may not be as "tight" but to be fair the Adelaide twist an explanation of the tethers has just as many plot holes.

Another thing to consider is that Jordan Peele has a habit of not confirming his themes. Everything that we know from Get Out are themes/meanings that we the audience have "correctly" summized.

So IF the "Jason switch" is a twist, we most likely won't ever get confirmation from him. 

First and foremost, give Lupita her Oscar right now. I was also really impressed with all the child actors. The look Jason gives Adelaide at the very end, where you know he knows the truth was excellent. 

There were some subtle hints about the family's connection to the Doubles, like Zola wearing a t-shirt with a rabbit on it, and an overhead shot of the family walking on the beach with their shadows on the sand. 

I thought it was only Adelaide and her family who had doubles, so I jumped when a double of one of the twins showed up behind them. Even though I felt for them, I cracked up at the "Ophelia, call the police. / "Playing Fuck Tha Police by NWA." scene. Good reversal of the tired trope where the black characters are the first ones to die in horror movies. 

I was wondering why the shadow people were doing the Hands Across America thing, and it was because original child Adelaide saw the commercial on tv and had the shirt, and it had stuck in her memory when it was time for the uprising. And the scene of her parents at the therapist's office saying they just want their daughter back takes on a whole new meaning.

I think the takeaway here is that privilege for some means suffering for others. Every time the surface people ate food they liked, their shadows had to eat raw rabbit. When Adelaide had children, Red was also forced to have them, only hers were demonic. Like how a wealthy family having access to certain healthy food is at the expense of poor people, usually immigrants, who pick the fruits and vegetables in horrendous conditions because they're taken advantage of. The shadow people are all the groups of humans who don't get treated as such by the privileged. Hence: "Who are you?" / "We're Americans." 

• Love 15
5 hours ago, JBC344 said:

Another thing to consider is that Jordan Peele has a habit of not confirming his themes. Everything that we know from Get Out are themes/meanings that we the audience have "correctly" summized. 

Themes/meanings are different than plot twists.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

Themes/meanings are different than plot twists.

Well sure. Unless he is using the/a twist to explore the/a theme.

Personally I'm not 100% sold on the Jason/Pluto switch, but I recognize it as an option with just as much interest and confusion/potholes as the Adelaide/Red switch.