Type keyword(s) to search

Downton Abbey: The Movie (2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, zillabreeze said:

Yep!!! 

It's been fun.  I sobbed and truly hoped Sybil might make it through childbirth this time.  (she didn't).

I hollered at Matthew to slow down on that road. (he didn't).

I wondered if Edith's child might still be so unfortunate looking this time. (she was).

Where are you in the series TV Diva?

Season 5, Epi 4.   I wondered if Edith wasn't going to still be such a Debbie Downer (she is). 

and I was FURIOUS that Matthew didn't learn his lesson the first time to slow down that damn car.  LOL

I do love me some Mrs. V Crawley and Granny.  Their friendship in the later seasons is really nice/snarky/funny.

I watched Rose's coming out episode twice, the pageantry and costumes were just exquisite.  

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

wow, thanks for this.  Now I have to decide if I go solo on the 12th, or wait for friends for the next week.  Oh wait....I can do both.  (that didn't occur to me until I actually typed it).  🙂

We've already made plans to go for the first showing on the Monday morning after it opens.  Not a fan of crowds, and - as retirees - we have more options.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

I do love me some Mrs. V Crawley and Granny.  Their friendship in the later seasons is really nice/snarky/funny.

Their banter is much better after they begrudgingly decide they like each other.  I can watch Best of Maggie loops on YouTube for hours.

FWIW, I am trying to get my circle to call me "Dowager".  

2 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

I watched Rose's coming out episode twice, the pageantry and costumes were just exquisite

I'm all about the special occasions for the costumes, of course, but the flowers give me the vapors, too.

When I saw the movie trailer at the theater last week, I thought I was gonna jump out of my skin!

Of course, I went from Texas to Manhatten to see the exhibit....

1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

We've already made plans to go for the first showing on the Monday morning after it opens.  Not a fan of crowds, and - as retirees - we have more options.

Preach!  I love a weekday matinee, too.  Once in awhile, I am the only one there.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, zillabreeze said:

Preach!  I love a weekday matinee, too.  Once in awhile, I am the only one there.

When we saw Mamma Mia for the 3rd time, we reserved reclining seats in the last row for our matinee.  Since there was NO ONE ELSE whose line of sight we were in, I was up dancing for most of the movie.  LOL.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, zillabreeze said:

Their banter is much better after they begrudgingly decide they like each other.  I can watch Best of Maggie loops on YouTube for hours.

FWIW, I am trying to get my circle to call me "Dowager".  

I'm all about the special occasions for the costumes, of course, but the flowers give me the vapors, too.

When I saw the movie trailer at the theater last week, I thought I was gonna jump out of my skin!

Of course, I went from Texas to Manhatten to see the exhibit....

Interesting......I think I'm going to do the same in my social circle.  

• LOL 1
10 hours ago, AZChristian said:

When we saw Mamma Mia for the 3rd time, we reserved reclining seats in the last row for our matinee. 

The movie biz has become so competitive here that a seat that Doesn't Recline is like some serious ghetto shit.  It's unthinkable!  Sit straight up?  You've lost your damn mind!

My fav Cinemark is all  recliners. Weekday, old farts about $6.

The first theater in the area (Look Cinema) to go luxury had actual couches.   It was on the news, it was a big damn deal.  A Saturday night first run flick was $25. Per butt! 

AZ, I think we are close to the same age. Y'all probably remember that shoving 8 folks in a car for the drive-in was how we saw movies without breaking the bank!  Brought our own popcorn and (adult) beverages.   Good times.  Screen quality sucked, and audio? The worst! 

• Love 3

Mr SD and I were late to the party... we just finished watching the series for the first time. 

I haven’t cried watching a movie, etc for a long time but I cried my eyes out when Sybil died. Not so much with Mathew but I did tear up.

Love Granny V and Isobel. When they saved Lord Merton from his dreadful children, I was up dancing lol. Considering I had knee surgery a month ago... it wasn’t very pretty. 

I’m ready for the movie. ❤️

• Love 7

I hadn't realized there was a movie thread within the show's forum...

While I wasn't a fan of the final season, I'm so ridiculously excited about seeing this.

I marathon watched the entire series while recovering from reconstruction surgery a couple of years ago.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1
On 5/20/2019 at 3:37 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

She certainly looks more like Rosamund than either of her actual parents.  Of course, it still could just be recessive Grantham DNA bubbling up.

I've always chalked it up to genetic roulette. I'm not a genetics expert, but she has red hair on both sides of her family. Her grandmother (Cora's mother) and her aunt both have red hair. 

On 5/20/2019 at 3:41 PM, Deskisamess said:

The 3 daughters look nothing like siblings, it bugged me from the very beginning.

It never bothered me. My brother and I are siblings and we look nothing alike. We barely look related. 

On 7/7/2019 at 7:45 PM, zillabreeze said:

I'm dying to see the sets and costumes on big screen!!! 

Same here. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, ShellyD said:

Saw the trailer for the DA movie last night. ❤️

On TeeVee or at the theatre?  I was loving it on tv, but damn near swooned when I saw big screen trailer!!!

I had to loosen my corset and take to the fainting couch😁

Edited by zillabreeze
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

New article with some juicy info!

Spoiler

https://www.phoenixmag.co.uk/article/love-scandal-and-snobbery-laura-carmichael-on-the-rise-of-lady-edith-in-the-new-downton-abbey-movie/

"The plot of the new film brings King George V and Queen Mary (played by Simon Jones and Geraldine James) to Downton. It gives every character their moment in the gloomy Yorkshire sun, flitting breathlessly from plotline to plotline. Throwing in kleptomania, mental abuse, rampant republicanism, the 1920s York equivalent of G.A.Y., illicit love, boiler sabotage, the decline of the aristocracy, poisoning, and even an assassination attempt, it strives so hard to please the fans that it ends up straining to capacity like one of Mrs Patmore’s over-stuffed puddings."

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Petra said:

Hi! Do you think the movie makes sense for someone who hasn't seen the series? Thanks!

I think - for many of us - knowing as much as we do of the "back story" is going to make the movie even more enjoyable.  It's kind of hard to answer your question, since none of us who are fans of the show have seen the movie yet.

I will tell you that if you love amazing wardrobes and a movie that was filmed mostly at an actual huge home in England (Highclere Hosue) . . . you're good!

• Love 3
23 hours ago, Petra said:

Hi! Do you think the movie makes sense for someone who hasn't seen the series? Thanks!

I really don't think so.  I know I wouldn't go with someone who hasn't seen the series at least once.  DH volunteered to go with me (I was going myself) he said, he will eat popcorn and sleep, I told him I'm not telling him one background story  that's there's maybe 65 hours of required viewing before seeing this.  LOL.  He said, OK, you go alone.  🙂

18 hours ago, TheView said:

I'm personally not thrilled about the movie. I feel like I've moved on since the show ended. 

I moved on since the show ended, then I heard about the movie, watched the series again and I've fallen in love with Downton all over again.  The story gets hokey, but dang, the scenery, sets and costuming are the best I've ever seen.  

• Love 6

I don’t understand why they didn’t do a special on PBS since that’s where it started.  It doesn’t seem like a movie theater show to me.   I’m a huge fan but don’t know if I’ll go or wait for it to show up on HBO.   I’ll wait for the reviews.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, MissT said:

I don’t understand why they didn’t do a special on PBS since that’s where it started.  It doesn’t seem like a movie theater show to me.   I’m a huge fan but don’t know if I’ll go or wait for it to show up on HBO.   I’ll wait for the reviews.  

Money.  They believe they will make money. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, TV Diva Queen said:

I hope I don't get in trouble for this.  I just saw that on PBS there is a show/movie called The Chaperone, written by Julian Fellows and starring Elizabeth McGovern, takes place in the 20's in NYC.  Anyone know of this?  

There's a "cast in other roles" thread. Perhaps you can inquire there.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 9/8/2019 at 4:27 PM, Petra said:

As others have said, hard to say until we actually see the movie. However, I think there was a conscious effort to make this as much of a standalone story as possible, and not just an extended episode of the show. I'm sure the actual plot will be relatively self-contained, but likely people who have six seasons of backstory will appreciate certain things more.

• Love 2

The British papers are filled with stories on the movie.  One special edition showed many of the new costumes (absolutely beautiful) and the history of how they made them.  Some of the fabrics are actually from the 1920's and some came from the families of royalty.  The costume designer had specific color palates for each woman character along with specific fabrics.  They also borrowed real tiaras from various families.  

Spoiler

From what I've read, Bates has very little to do in the movie, which one reviewer said he was thankful for.

I was hoping that Tom would wind up with the publisher, but it doesn't look that way.  He was always one of my favorite characters.  When I watched Bohemian Rhapsody, I didn't realize it was him until the credits.

Here's something I've never understood.  Henry's last name is Talbot, but why does everyone pronounce it Tole-Burt.  

Spoiler

I've also read that there's an ending that might not make people happy.  Some kind of event that happens that no one will see coming.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, msrachelj said:

I just heard on a local PBS station that this movie is only going to be shown on one day Sept. 20th? Is this true or did they botch it? That would be absurd!

Nah!  Tonight, there were special one night only showings here in Dallas (sold out, except for the brutal front rows).  That's prob what you heard.

The movie officially starts on Friday 9/20, but my local Cinemark has a 7p and a 10p on Thursday night 9/19.

Tuesdays are bargain days ($5.50) and the advance tickets are already filling up for the daytime.  I guess all us old farts think alike!

Not that I've given this much thought😁

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, zillabreeze said:

Nah!  Tonight, there were special one night only showings here in Dallas (sold out, except for the brutal front rows).  That's prob what you heard.

Really?  I must have been lucky, I bought my ticket yesterday for the Angelika!

I loved the movie!  A visit to the estate is definitely on my bucket list.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, peridot said:

Really?  I must have been lucky, I bought my ticket yesterday for the Angelika!

I loved the movie!  A visit to the estate is definitely on my bucket list.

Can't wait!!!! 

There were two big screens at the Cinemark Plano, that filled up fast (except front rows).  They added a few showings yesterday in two really small screens, but I want BIG! XD! Digital!  I have a feeling I'll see it more than once.

Amen, to Highclere Castle!  My bucket list too!

Your opinion?  Do you think someone NOT a DA fan would enjoy the movie as a standalone story?  My auntie loves any movie, but hasn't seen the series. 

10 hours ago, zillabreeze said:

Your opinion?  Do you think someone NOT a DA fan would enjoy the movie as a standalone story?  My auntie loves any movie, but hasn't seen the series. 

I think first timers might be confused about some of the relationships between the characters, but they mostly explain some backgrounds.

If people enjoy light and historical stories, they would enjoy this.

• Love 1

Saw it last night and loved it!!!  there is a 10 minute series re-cap done my Mr Carson and Mrs Hughes, everyone whether they saw the series or not will be able to enjoy the movie.  

ETA:  They gave out the cutest ever mini snowglobes.  A gold Abbey with gold glitter.  It's my most prized possession.  

Edited by TV Diva Queen
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
31 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

Saw it last night and loved it!!!  there is a 10 minute series re-cap done my Mr Carson and Mrs Hughes, everyone whether they saw the series or not will be able to enjoy the movie.  

ETA:  They gave out the cutest ever mini snowglobes.  A gold Abbey with gold glitter.  It's my most prized possession.  

Very good to know about the recaps!!!  How I have Snowglobe Envy!!!

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, msrachelj said:

This is weird, I just saw a commercial during The View, for the movie that said "only in theaters Sept. 20" . So they are either missing some punctuation or it's one day. WTHeck. Way to confuse people.

I think when they say “only in theaters” means it’s not on TV.  But to clarify things, they should have put a comma after theaters. 

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • Love 7

Will the movie ever be shown on PBS?  I am kinda pissed off that they took this into the theater when all the loyal fans made DA a hit on television for so many years.  Can’t stand the price gouging of theaters.  This feels like a slap in the face to tv fans who made them popular in the first place.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, msrachelj said:

This is weird, I just saw a commercial during The View, for the movie that said "only in theaters Sept. 20" . So they are either missing some punctuation or it's one day. WTHeck. Way to confuse people.

This is why us really old farts love stupid shit like spelling, grammar and punctuation.  Deal.

3 hours ago, izabella said:

Will the movie ever be shown on PBS?  I am kinda pissed off that they took this into the theater when all the loyal fans made DA a hit on television for so many years.  Can’t stand the price gouging of theaters.  This feels like a slap in the face to tv fans who made them popular in the first place.

Of course it will rock over on PBS someday.  But,  damn!  Who the hell doesn't want to see Highclere Castle on a big screen??  The costumes? The flowers? The castle? On big screen?

I don't know where you live, but in Dallas/Ft W you can catch a showing on a weekday morning for about $5-6 bucks. 

Or wait for TeeVee.  It's not a thing.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, zillabreeze said:

This is why us really old farts love stupid shit like spelling, grammar and punctuation.  Deal.

Of course it will rock over on PBS someday.  But,  damn!  Who the hell doesn't want to see Highclere Castle on a big screen??  The costumes? The flowers? The castle? On big screen?

I don't know where you live, but in Dallas/Ft W you can catch a showing on a weekday morning for about $5-6 bucks. 

Weekend mornings are also cheap. We are going to the early showing on Sunday, the 22nd, at Alamo Drafthouse Richardson for only $6.50! Definitely worth it to see it on the big screen! Then going next door to Haystack for one of the world’s best burgers. 

• Love 4
14 hours ago, izabella said:

Totally agree! I hate going to the movies, I'd rather be in the comfort of my home. Dirty theaters, annoying people, and the cost! If I knew this would come to PBS, I'd wait.

10 hours ago, zillabreeze said:

Well, I'm not a "really old fart" but I do believe in grammar and punctuation as should everyone. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

Weekend mornings are also cheap. We are going to the early showing on Sunday, the 22nd, at Alamo Drafthouse Richardson for only $6.50! Definitely worth it to see it on the big screen! Then going next door to Haystack for one of the world’s best burgers. 

First show on Sunday is how I roll, too!  Look and Cinemark West are easy schleps for me.  My fat fanny is all about the recliners 😁  I'm in Carrollton and a serious burger 'ho.  Is Haystack just that awesome?  Web prices look quite reasonable.

Who doesn't love Alamo and their Very Brutal cell phone rule????  OT, but went to Jersey Boys at the Winspear (not cheap!), bitch was TEXTING with phone light and all!  When two of us simultaneously said "hey knock it off". She says "I have to check on my kids". Sheesh.  

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, zillabreeze said:

First show on Sunday is how I roll, too!  Look and Cinemark West are easy schleps for me.  My fat fanny is all about the recliners 😁  I'm in Carrollton and a serious burger 'ho.  Is Haystack just that awesome?  Web prices look quite reasonable.

Who doesn't love Alamo and their Very Brutal cell phone rule????  OT, but went to Jersey Boys at the Winspear (not cheap!), bitch was TEXTING with phone light and all!  When two of us simultaneously said "hey knock it off". She says "I have to check on my kids". Sheesh.  

We used to go to the movies every week, but now we rarely go.  I have no tolerance for people who talk during movies.  Fortunately, I get the headphones for the hearing impaired, and crank them up to drown out anything but the movie dialogue.

We go to Harkins theaters, which also have a strict cell phone policy.  I once was at an afternoon show with a grand total of 5 people in the theater.  A middle-aged guy (looked like he was supposed to be at work, but opted for a movie instead) pulled out his phone and started checking e-mail.  I walked down two rows, tapped him on the shoulder and said, "If you don't put that away right now, and leave it in your pocket, I will take great pleasure in having an usher throw your rude self out of here."  He put it away, and didn't bring it out again.  

(Mr. AZC hates it when I do stuff like that . . . but he's used to me and knows I'm going to do it anyway.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, msrachelj said:

Totally agree! I hate going to the movies, I'd rather be in the comfort of my home. Dirty theaters, annoying people, and the cost! If I knew this would come to PBS, I'd wait.

I hear ya' ! Total introvert here.  But once I found the miracle that is the "Luxury Theatre" and the super cheap morning showings, I dig it.  Some stuff is just big screen worthy.  

That said, my PBS has been doing DA marathons every Sunday for several weeks.  On the couch, AC blasting when it's a bajillion degrees outside with DA, heaven!!!!  Tomorrow wraps it up.  I'll be lost next week 😁

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

(Mr. AZC hates it when I do stuff like that . . . but he's used to me and knows I'm going to do it anyway.)

Well, bless his heart he loves you anyway.  If I had been in the theatre when you did that, I would have stood up and given you the slow clap!

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, zillabreeze said:

I hear ya' ! Total introvert here.  But once I found the miracle that is the "Luxury Theatre" and the super cheap morning showings, I dig it.  Some stuff is just big screen worthy.  

That said, my PBS has been doing DA marathons every Sunday for several weeks.  On the couch, AC blasting when it's a bajillion degrees outside with DA, heaven!!!!  Tomorrow wraps it up.  I'll be lost next week 😁

We just got some of those recliners here so I'm going to do a matinee (do they cost less?)  and hope the theater it's in has the new seats.  Bring my own water but buy a large popcorn!

• Love 2