Type keyword(s) to search

Downton Abbey: The Movie (2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Is it too much to hope for that this time either Bates or Anna really does murder someone?

I just re-watched an episode and after all this time, couldn't even remember who they were accused of killing or why.  The whole run of the show one of them is falsely accused of a foul deed - why not turn it around here?

• LOL 6
  • Love 4

LOL - cute but no thanks.

I found it immensely annoying how much screentime was eaten up by the same plot being reheated and served to us once again. After Bates went to jail, why did we have to have a story about Anna also going to jail? They could have still done the rape and taken it in a different direction. I thought it was actually going to be a compelling situation, given the rapist was working for Mary's suitor. Instead they killed him off camera and I don't think we ever even found out who it was that did the deed.

Does anyone know if we will finally get to see O'Brien again in the movie?

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 4
(edited)
53 minutes ago, Deskisamess said:

I want it reveled that Edith is actually Rosamund's daughter, born out of wedlock, and raised by Robert and stroke face.

That would explain SO much.

She certainly looks more like Rosamund than either of her actual parents.  Of course, it still could just be recessive Grantham DNA bubbling up.

Edited by Quilt Fairy

Tinfoil hat on!

Mary's plot is going to be about preparing for the Royal Visit, with an overrunning arc of remaining at Downton. That's been spelled out by the interviews and the trailer. What's interesting is that she exchanges that smile with the Dowager Countess, and in the poster Mary's pose is echoing the Dowager's quite strongly. They are even both wearing blue. Matthew Goode mentioned he will only be in at the end, so I reckon him running up the stairs is him coming home and he will be back in time for the dance.

Thomas has a love interest! Please, please let him be happy. That smile on his face during the dance is adorable.

Tom has a love interest too. It looks like it's the new maid character. It will be fun to see him do the class difference romance with him on the other side. That dance on the balcony is gorgeous.

Edith looks gorgeous, but somewhat nervous in that scene in the gardens. In Laura Carmichael's interviews she mentioned Edith and Bertie having to adjust to their new ranks, which is something neither of them expected. A visit from the royals will probably exacerbate that which should be fun to see. (Or Edith has just discovered she's Rosamund's daughter.) Looking forward to seeing my favourite Magazine owner and the sweetest Marquess ever again. 

• Love 8
56 minutes ago, Popples said:

That was way better than the English version; if only I understood German, but I got the gist.

McGonagall vs Umbrage in fancy dresses!

Here you go! I think this is the same one, similar at least.

• Love 7
(edited)
3 hours ago, displayname said:

Seeing how much of Umbridge vs McGonagall was cut from the franchise, I'm here for a rehash.

Not following your meaning here.  This is Imelda Staunton's first appearance at Downton.  When I saw the little clip in the previews, I was disappointed . . . I wanted them face-to-face on the grand stairway, as they were in "Order of the Phoenix."  LOL.

Did you know that in real life, Imelda Staunton is married to Carson (the butler)?

Edited by AZChristian
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

This is Imelda Staunton's first appearance at Downton.  

It was a reference to her appearance on HP haha. Hence their in-universe names. A lot of their battling was cut from OotP, robbing us of these two actresses' interactions, so I'm glad we get a rehash here.

Yes, I know that Imelda Staunton and Jim Carter are married.

Edited by displayname
  • Love 8
50 minutes ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Did anybody catch the PBS  Dowton Abbey Movie special last night with Mr.Carson hosting?

YES!  Loved every minute of it, and can't wait for the movie to be released!

• Love 4

I really enjoyed the special as well. It made me realize how much I missed these characters, even when I was yelling at the television when they would annoy me. I might actually leave my house and see the film in the theater instead of waiting for a home release because the preview scenes have me so excited!

• Love 4

The father/daughter dynamic of Carson and Mary is the one that gets me in a very deep place, every time.  I loved the scenes to that effect which were included in the special.  Edith finally giving Mary her due was great fun, as well!

Who was the Queen at the time of this coming visit?  Why, her name was Mary.  🙂

The other scene of most significance and warmth for me was Carson and Hughes strolling into the surf.  So lovely.

I also very much appreciated the obvious lack of focus on the Bates'.  TPTB are no fools.

Now a question has been begged by the first preview...Is better that Violet "put in a word" with the Father, or perhaps is it best that nothing be said.  😉

• Love 3

Edith being Edith, this is my prediction for the movie: her ball gown never arrives, and she arrives at the formal event in a dress that Anna and Baxter make from drapes.  

She may be a marchioness, but something always goes wrong for her.  

Besides, Fellowes hasn't borrowed from Gone with the Wind yet.

• LOL 14
  • Love 1
On 6/5/2019 at 9:49 AM, Popples said:

I really enjoyed the special as well. It made me realize how much I missed these characters, even when I was yelling at the television when they would annoy me. I might actually leave my house and see the film in the theater instead of waiting for a home release because the preview scenes have me so excited!

My local PBS station has been airing a lot of DA repeats lately, and I find it very comforting and relaxing to watch.   The same with repeats of The Great British Baking Show. 

• Love 5
On 2/2/2019 at 1:40 PM, meep.meep said:

Is it too much to hope for that this time either Bates or Anna really does murder someone?

I just re-watched an episode and after all this time, couldn't even remember who they were accused of killing or why.  The whole run of the show one of them is falsely accused of a foul deed - why not turn it around here?

This time it will probably be Baby Bates on trial for murder.  No Bates escapes the threat of the noose!

I'm just happy that most of the cast is back, but I'm especially happy Maggie Smith is on board.  I worried they might kill off her character if she hadn't signed on.  Hopefully they don't do that in the movie.

It's been more than 15 years since I've been to a theater to see a film, but I will go to see this film.  It just happens to be released in September during my birthday week, so that will be a nice way to celebrate.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Possum said:

I'm just happy that most of the cast is back, but I'm especially happy Maggie Smith is on board.  I worried they might kill off her character if she hadn't signed on.  Hopefully they don't do that in the movie.

I'm surprised she's in the movie, I thought she had said she was done with the character after the last TV season. 

• Love 1

I'm kind of hoping that whilst the main plot of missing silver polish takes the forefront, we see the Bates in the background dragging off dead bodies and returning covered in soil. Plot Twist, Baby Bates is the antichrist and has been murdering villagers for their own amusement (and has been stealing the silver polish.)

• LOL 10
On 6/11/2019 at 2:13 PM, Possum said:

It's been more than 15 years since I've been to a theater to see a film, but I will go to see this film. 

I'm hoping the recently remodeled theater down the road shows it on the 4D screen so we can experience the sights and sounds and smells of Mrs Patmore's cooking.

On 6/7/2019 at 3:06 PM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

I also very much appreciated the obvious lack of focus on the Bates'.  TPTB are no fools.

Also avoiding the perpetual yet ever changing Daisy love triangles.  And no hint of Denker and Spratt at all.

• Love 3
On 7/5/2019 at 8:54 PM, mac123x said:

Also avoiding the perpetual yet ever changing Daisy love triangles.  And no hint of Denker and Spratt at all.

I hate Daisy and Denker, but I love Spratt.  

• Love 5

I'm dying to see the sets and costumes on big screen!!!  Kicked back in the luxury theater recliner with a glass of Chardonnay!!!

Is this the right place to ask if anyone has done "The Exhibit"?  I made a NYC trip to see it (and David Bowie) last summer.  It's in Boston now.

It was a blast.  A little spendy, but worth it.  I totally loved the dining table and the costumes.  Anyone?

14 hours ago, zillabreeze said:

I'm dying to see the sets and costumes on big screen!!!  Kicked back in the luxury theater recliner with a glass of Chardonnay!!!

Is this the right place to ask if anyone has done "The Exhibit"?  I made a NYC trip to see it (and David Bowie) last summer.  It's in Boston now.

It was a blast.  A little spendy, but worth it.  I totally loved the dining table and the costumes.  Anyone?

I first saw the exhibit before it went on tour.  It was at Winterthur in Delaware.  Then we saw it again last year in Florida.

And - not to brag - we've been to Highclere House ("Downton Abbey") in England.  Worth every penny.  We kept expecting to see Carson walking around, making sure none of the peasantry was stealing the silver.  The grounds were as magnificent as the house.

• Like 1
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, AZChristian said:

And - not to brag - we've been to Highclere House ("Downton Abbey") in England.

That's very bragworthy!!!!   I've watched the documentary with the real owners and they seem like lovely people.

How long ago was your trip?  Is it tricky to gain admission?

2 hours ago, zillabreeze said:

That's very bragworthy!!!!   I've watched the documentary with the real owners and they seem like lovely people.

How long ago was your trip?  Is it tricky to gain admission?

The trip was four years ago.  We were in London for a week before cruising around the British Isles for 12 days.  We're not rich, but our kids are grown and we live in a double-wide so we have money for the fun things we want to do.  Most of the time, we're borrowing books and DVDs from the library so we can spend money on funner stuff.

We saw Lady Carnarvon and one of her dogs while we were there.  She was downstairs (near the big room with the beautiful staircase), and we were upstairs standing in the area where Lady Mary, Anna, and Lady Cora were dragging Mr. Pamuk down the gallery walkway.  I only knew it was her because I've also seen the documentaries about Highclere.  The basement is amazing for history buffs - artifacts from Egypt, where an earlier Lord Carnarvon financed the dig that ended up in King Tut's tomb.  And the little tea shop had nice scones with clotted cream!!!

It wasn't hard to get tickets; they're available on the internet.  The nice thing about getting them that way is that you can be sure the castle is open for visitors when you're going to be there.  They used to close during filming season, but that's over with for the movie, so it may be open for tourists again.  You take the train from London (Paddington Station) to Newbury, then take a taxi from the Newbury station to Highclere.  There's nothing to compare with walking through the gates from the car park and walking down the cinder path that we see in every episode!!!!  When you finish (we were probably there for a good 4-5 hours), you go back to the parking lot attendant's booth, and they will call a taxi to take you back to the train station.

We wanted to be sure there were no mix-ups, so we went to Paddington the day before to get our train tickets.  The gentleman at the window - when we asked for round-trip tickets to Newbury - delighted in telling us that "We never sell Newbury tickets to British folks; it's all of you Yanks having a pricey day visiting Downton Abbey."  LOL . . . once you've spent the airfare to fly to London, a day at "Downton" isn't that much.

Our local PBS just re-ran the show and we, of course, watched every episode again.  I still tear up when the opening music starts, and I feel grateful that we had the opportunity to go there.  People from our childhood backgrounds don't often get to experience something like visiting the castle where their favorite TV show was filmed!!!!

• Love 22
On 7/23/2019 at 10:25 AM, displayname said:

Wasn't it hinted that Branson would be courting the editor? I wonder what happened since it doesn't seem they're together in the trailer.

IIRC, she caught the bouquet at Edith's wedding and she and Branson had a few meaningful eye contracts through the episode.  Guess it didn't work out?  Or they couldn't get the actress back so took Tom's story in a different direction. 

Hopefully he's done mourning Sybil because that got tiresome.  Half the time he was giving Mary pep-talks about finding love and moving on and stuff, I wanted her to turn it around on him.

• Love 3
On 7/27/2019 at 10:12 PM, mac123x said:

Half the time he was giving Mary pep-talks about finding love and moving on and stuff, I wanted her to turn it around on him.

That would require Mary to think about someone other than herself...….

• LOL 8
  • Love 13
On 7/22/2019 at 6:07 PM, displayname said:

I'm just cracking up on each and every scene containing the Dowager, Mrs. Crawley, Spratt, and Denker during my binge watch, and I hope they're all back for the movie.

IMDB is showing everyone to be in the movie!  My PBS is running the movie trailer and I'm about to pop with anticipation.  Even if the story/plot sucks.....The castle and costumes, oh my!!!!

• Love 4
57 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

Anyone else binging the series again in anticipation for Sept 20?  

Yep!!! 

It's been fun.  I sobbed and truly hoped Sybil might make it through childbirth this time.  (she didn't).

I hollered at Matthew to slow down on that road. (he didn't).

I wondered if Edith's child might still be so unfortunate looking this time. (she was).

Where are you in the series TV Diva?

• LOL 1
  • Love 6