Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: Semi-Final and Final

• Start Topic

I wasn't overwhelming thrilled with Tina's final showstopper.  I thought it was too busy and the dark layer was ugly.  I actually preferred Amanda's cake, visually.  But Tina had been so consistent over the course of the competition that I'd never argue about her winning.  She did deserve it.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, Lady Iris said:

Very happy Tina won. She deserved it. Her gingerbread birdhouse was utterly charming and those cookies, absolutely adorable! I loved the fox ones she did. I admit, I didn't think she'd go far based on the initial eps but she really shone as it went on.

I do wonder why it was such a rushed season.

Where do I find me a princess cake because that looked delicious!

I agree. I would rather have it spread out with one episode a week. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

I hated how this "season" was so rushed.  I also dislike the filming in UK.  Has anyone ever explained why they do this?  I know the production company is out of the UK, but is the budget that low they can't cross the pond for a few weeks?  

I know, it makes no sense to me to film in the UK, I'm sure they can find somewhere to put the tent in the US. Also, I think that's why in general the contestants aren't as good bakers as the UK version. They aren't getting them from everyone who bakes in the US, they're getting them from everyone who bakes & is able to leave the country for however long it takes. That cuts down on a lot of people.

• Love 1

They aren't getting them from everyone who bakes in the US, they're getting them from everyone who bakes & is able to leave the country for however long it takes. That cuts down on a lot of people.

I thought the same thing until I gave it more thought.  The U.S. is so big compared to England that contestants would have the same problem with distances.  In England, they can drive or take a train and get most places in a matter of hours so they can go home between film shoots.  Here, if the tent is on a coast and they live on the opposite coast, that isn't an option unless someone could afford a lot of plane tickets.  Even if the tent was in the central part of the country, contestants could easily live hundreds of miles away.  I think the show would still end up with bakers able to take the time away from their regular lives.

Having said that, I would like to see them do the American version somewhere in America.

• Love 2
On 12/22/2018 at 8:11 AM, Rinaldo said:

So, what should they do? NOT judge on merit? 

Sure they should. But what should they have done?  Maybe air last season.  Johnny was already paid for his participation.  They only people who suffered were the contestants--including the winner. 

6 hours ago, mlp said:

I thought the same thing until I gave it more thought.  The U.S. is so big compared to England that contestants would have the same problem with distances.  In England, they can drive or take a train and get most places in a matter of hours so they can go home between film shoots.  Here, if the tent is on a coast and they live on the opposite coast, that isn't an option unless someone could afford a lot of plane tickets.  Even if the tent was in the central part of the country, contestants could easily live hundreds of miles away.  I think the show would still end up with bakers able to take the time away from their regular lives.

Having said that, I would like to see them do the American version somewhere in America.

I made the suggestion in another post that they should consider doing something regional every season.  So do something on the East Coast where there are trains or perhaps a very short flight and have contestants exclusively from those states. 

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I made the suggestion in another post that they should consider doing something regional every season.  So do something on the East Coast where there are trains or perhaps a very short flight and have contestants exclusively from those states. 

There wasn't that much geographic representation anyway—both Tina and Amanda were from New York State—so this is as good an idea as any.

• Love 1
On 12/27/2018 at 11:49 AM, Lady Iris said:

Where do I find me a princess cake because that looked delicious!

IKEA. They have a small single-serving cake; the icing is pink rather than green, and the jam is strawberry rather than raspberry (both of which I prefer anyway). Sometimes it's among the dessert choices in their cafeteria, and there's a box of 6 in the freezer in the take-out section (if you live close enough to get frozen food home).

• Love 2
On 12/30/2018 at 8:15 AM, Rinaldo said:

IKEA. They have a small single-serving cake; the icing is pink rather than green, and the jam is strawberry rather than raspberry 

"Just what do people see in these blintzes, anyway???"  LOL

I might have to look for that (although I prefer raspberry to strawberry...)