Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E12: AWOL

"You watch 'Dancing with the Stars'?"

"I will watch any show that humiliates both Tucker Carlson and Rick Perry." 

Murphy is my spirit animal :D. And I continue to adore Avery bonding with Benny. 

But awwwwwww, that ending. I do understand his eagerness to help, for all sorts of reasons. I liked the team sharing their stories about how journalists were able to bring attention to important stories (I've heard that Cronkite story before), and it's clear his heart's in the right place and all. But damn, that's a hell of a risky thing for him to do. Here's hoping his decision will be worth it. 

On a lighter note, I liked Murphy trying to confront that general and following him around. 

• Love 23

I haven't been reading spoilers, so my guess is that, if the show (God willing!) gets renewed for a second season, Avery will return from Afghanistan with a restored reputation in TV news and a shot at a comeback. I don't want anything to happen to Murphy's baby. :'(

I loved Corky's Monday and Tuesday sweaters. :)

Benny is stealing the show now. He HAS to stay if there's a season 2! 

• Love 24

Nothing better happen to Avery!

My brother's best friend did some investigative work in Afghanistan. His parents were worried sick. (He's fine. Wrote a book!) And Murphy knows firsthand how dangerous it is. Of course she's scared.

Benny's bell trick is SO CUTE.

• Love 20
Just now, Empress1 said:

It was.  But if Murphy really didn't want him td keep ringing, pick up the bell!

If you saw the previews,

Spoiler

they kind of gave away what happens with Avery since he was at home, on the couch, wearing a hat.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Empress1 said:

Nothing better happen to Avery!

I’ve known a couple of people that have trained their dogs to use bells.  In both cases, it started out as a house breaking technique and ended with the dog using its owner as its personal butler.  Want someone to take you out?  Ring the bell!   Want attention?  Ring the bell!  Want someone to fuss over you while trying to figure out what’s wrong?  Ring the bell!  Etc.

• LOL 1
  • Love 17
24 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

I’ve known a couple of people that have trained their dogs to use bells.  In both cases, it started out as a house breaking technique and ended with the dog using its owner as its personal butler.  Want someone to take you out?  Ring the bell!   Want attention?  Ring the bell!  Want someone to fuss over you while trying to figure out what’s wrong?  Ring the bell!  Etc.

Yeah, I could see how it could get annoying quickly!

• Love 4

I loved this. I'm not feeling well either, so I watched this a little while ago, and laughed out loud, I don't know how many times. 

That dog is the cutest! Loved him repeatedly hitting that bell, but a good reminder to not train mine to do that.

I also liked them talking about the good old days, being blindfolded and taken to an undisclosed location. LOL. Corky's tangent on packing made me laugh, too. I like how they just humour her. 

• Love 9
7 hours ago, Annber03 said:

On a lighter note, I liked Murphy trying to confront that general and following him around. 

That was my favorite part. I don't think that reputable news organizations should allow shills to spout lies and evade questions. If they won't answer questions, they shouldn't be allowed on. I applaud Murphy's "you WILL answer my questions" attitude. 

I laughed at Avery's reminiscing about how they treated him as a kid. I've said it before, but they did such a good job making him exactly the child that Murphy Brown (and Eldin and Frank and Corky and Miles) raised. Still glad to see him bonding with the dog. 

All of the "how long has the war in Afghanistan been going on" talk reminded me that the new Sherlock TV series rebooted with Dr. Watson coming home from Afghanistan a hundred years after the original Conan Doyle stories. That war is timeless. Or endless. 

6 hours ago, giovannif7 said:

I got the biggest stupid grin on my face when I realized not only was the mural behind Avery's bed one of Eldin's (I'm assuming that was young Avery's face painted in the helmet of the figure in the space suit), but that Avery had a photo of the two of them prominently displayed on his headboard. It drove home the point to me that Eldin is Avery's father figure.

Avery Eldin - Murphy Brown 1112.JPG

Thank you for the screen grab! That was so fun to look at. 

Sadly, I think that the dog emotes more than Candice Bergen does. 

• Love 8

I enjoyed Bennie's new trick and seeing Avery's room.  The scene I liked the best was hearing about the old days as they sat around the table in Phil's bar while Avery took it all in.

This is the only episodic show I watch and I am really going to miss it. 

The relationship between Murphy and Avery continues to be the best part of the show.  I like how Murphy dresses in a more comfortable style at home, which makes it more realistic.

The actor who plays Frank has become more relaxed and is doing a great job with his line delivery. I always liked the actress playing Phyllis but don't care for her role on this show.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, madfortv said:

The scene I liked the best was hearing about the old days as they sat around the table in Phil's bar while Avery took it all in.

Me too - and it did sound better, TBH, particularly the part about Cronkite and the Vietnam war.

• Love 9

Loved Murphy chasing after the general--Very Mark Wallace-ish! And did the moron think he was on the Wolf network where he wouldn't be asked any tough questions?

Man, I was really feeling Avery's pain, and actually was miffed on his behalf that none of his uncles and auntie wanted him anywhere near them. What? Did they think he'd steal their story and go running back to Wolf?

Benny makes everything better! I loved how once he discovered how to ring the bell, he kept doing it over and over again! And his whimpers got to me. Hell. I wish I lived in a place that allowed pets. I would SO adopt a doggie or two.

I LOVED Frank and Murphy retelling the stories of what journalists used to do to get a story. I remember the Cronkite story well from documentaries I've watched. I still CURSE the day when Greedy Corporations bought the news organizations and it was no longer reporting the news, but RATINGS!!!!! And then the advent of tabloid news on television. Sigh.

Murphy broke my heart with that sad look on her face, trying not to cry when Avery left. I just love those two!

10 hours ago, Annber03 said:

"You watch 'Dancing with the Stars'?"

"I will watch any show that humiliates both Tucker Carlson and Rick Perry." 

Murphy is my spirit animal :D. And I continue to adore Avery bonding with Benny. 

I 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 at that!

9 hours ago, giovannif7 said:

I got the biggest stupid grin on my face when I realized not only was the mural behind Avery's bed one of Eldin's (I'm assuming that was young Avery's face painted in the helmet of the figure in the space suit), but that Avery had a photo of the two of them prominently displayed on his headboard. It drove home the point to me that Eldin is Avery's father figure.

Oh man!!! It just makes me so so sad that Robert Pastorelli is no longer with us. 

• Love 18
9 hours ago, giovannif7 said:

Thanks for posting that.  I didn't catch any of the details until you put it up!  Aw, Eldin, how we miss you.

• Love 19
Just now, proserpina65 said:

ARGH!!!!!  I fell asleep again!! What happened after the scene where Avery was helping out at Phil's and the gang walked in talking about Murphy's source being awol?

Frank and Murphy talked about how during their hey day, how journalists would dig out the stories themselves; would make contacts; how there were news bureaus to know who to reach out to, etc. How Cronkite went to Vietnam and when he came back, told the world "we were losing" and how that impacted President Johnson. When journalists had RESPECT. Instead of today, with social media and phones, and blah, blah. It was very, very good. And that gave Avery the boost to go to Afghanistan to suss out Murphy's source. I'm leaving a lot out, but just watch it on demand. Or if you can, dvr or TiVo it.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Frank and Murphy talked about how during their hey day, how journalists would dig out the stories themselves; would make contacts; how there were news bureaus to know who to reach out to, etc. How Cronkite went to Vietnam and when he came back, told the world "we were losing" and how that impacted President Johnson. When journalists had RESPECT. Instead of today, with social media and phones, and blah, blah. It was very, very good. And that gave Avery the boost to go to Afghanistan to suss out Murphy's source. I'm leaving a lot out, but just watch it on demand. Or if you can, dvr or TiVo it.

Thanks, that gives me the gist of it.

I don't have on demand, dvr or TiVo.  I have a vcr, but that was taping something else, unfortunately.  I'll see the episode if they ever re-run it.

• Love 2

I’ve neVer really liked pets on tv shows unless they are vital to the show.  I view them like moonwalking bears.  People are so focused on how cute the dog is that Murphy could have been murdered by Avery and the scene flashed to  a “to be continuned” message and half the audience would be like “wait what...what I miss?”  

Will the puppy be a vital emotional companion for Murphy now that Avery is gone?  Who knows.  It could just as easily disappear next episode and half the audience will be more concerned about a dog that has been on the show for  two episodes then Avery.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
41 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

I’ve neVer really liked pets on tv shows unless they are vital to the show.  I view them like moonwalking bears.  People are so focused on how cute the dog is that Murphy could have been murdered by Avery and the scene flashed to  a “to be continuned” message and half the audience would be like “wait what...what I miss?”  

Will the puppy be a vital emotional companion for Murphy now that Avery is gone?  Who knows.  It could just as easily disappear next episode and half the audience will be more concerned about a dog that has been on the show for  two episodes then Avery.  

He's a series regular, according to Diane English. So he won't be disappearing.

Loved last night's episode and am looking forward to the season finale.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

If you have cable, you can watch it at cbs.com.

If you don't have cable, you can watch it there too (with commercials) starting the day after broadcast.

Avery Sr. (Murphy's mom) probably worried a lot when Murphy was a journalist in dangerous places. So Murphy has been on both sides now. I'm a bit disappointed she didn't mention it.

• Love 9

very good episode. So often dogs overwhelm a show, but not Benny. I like Avery going to the war zone, and if there is a season 2 would be great to continue with him making trips abroad except that I want him to still be a big part of the show. Loved Murphy's "I'm bionic" with her 2 hip replacements and Phyllis telling Frank that she won't bring him a menu as it hasn't changed in 40 years so he should know it by heart. this show has been a bright spot on my Thursday evenings.

• Love 23

I thought this episode perfectly encapsulated what's wrong with the show. The dialogue was so clunky and so contrived I cringed. That entire scene with Murphy, Frank and Corky sitting around at Phil's reminiscing about the good old days of journalism was like something you'd see in a sixth-grade play, where the characters each stand up and explain the meaning of Thanksgiving to the audience. The story about LBJ saying if he lost Walter Cronkite he lost the country is something I've heard a dozen times in my life. To work that into the dialogue as though it were news to anyone felt so didactic and condescending. I mean, everyone at that table knows that story like the back of their hand . . . why would anyone recite it as though nobody had ever heard it? 

Too much of what the characters are saying sounds deliberately instructive, it's like they are directly channeling liberal commentary that's so stale and obvious it feels totally unnecessary. I don't need this show to teach me a lesson in civics or state the bleeding obvious about the current administration. 

I enjoyed the bits with the dog and that's about it - when the script veers off its moralizing agenda it feels more like it used to back in the day. But most of the time, it's objective is about as subtle as a ton of bricks to the head.

15 hours ago, Annber03 said:

that's a hell of a risky thing for him to do. Here's hoping his decision will be worth it. 

15 hours ago, UYI said:

I haven't been reading spoilers, so my guess is that, if the show (God willing!) gets renewed for a second season, Avery will return from Afghanistan with a restored reputation in TV news and a shot at a comeback. I don't want anything to happen to Murphy's baby. :'(

I loved Corky's Monday and Tuesday sweaters. :)

Benny is stealing the show now. He HAS to stay if there's a season 2! 

We're in TVLand. He'll be fine. I'm willing to bet money he'll show up on New Year's Eve with a big story, maybe not what he was looking for, but something that will set up him for a comeback. Avery is one of the best things about the show and a fan favorite. I don't think they'll kill him off, this isn't that kind of show. Corky's Monday and Tuesday sweaters reminded me of a 1950s cheerleader for some reason. 

14 hours ago, giovannif7 said:

I hadn't noticed all of those details. Thank you so much for posting the screencap and telling us what to look for. This is awesome. I can see Avery as he got older wanting something more grown-up than what Eldin had originally painted in the nursery (something historically and socially relevant, but with bunnies). I can picture Avery and Eldin having a very serious discussion about Avery wanted and Eldin delivering. Eldin sadly looking at the nursery struggling to deal with the fact that Avery is getting older and no longer a baby. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Sarah 103 said:

We're in TVLand. He'll be fine. I'm willing to bet money he'll show up on New Year's Eve with a big story, maybe not what he was looking for, but something that will set up him for a comeback. Avery is one of the best things about the show and a fan favorite. I don't think they'll kill him off, this isn't that kind of show. Corky's Monday and Tuesday sweaters reminded me of a 1950s cheerleader for some reason. 

Oh, yeah, I'm not worried about him being killed off or anything like that. I was mainly thinking more in terms of how his actions might impact Murphy's story and everything related to it, as well as how any danger he might encounter could affect him going forward, too. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I was at a fundraiser for Honor Flight (takes WWII vets to see their memorial in Washington for free) and a 30 something asked me 1) who the US fought against in WWII and 2) was WWII before or after Vietnam.  Appalling and sad to think these world changing wars are so easily forgotten.

...oh, dear.

As a fellow 30-something, that's just plain embarrassing. 

• Love 8

Some of the younger generation may have not.  It's not all about your generation (this is meant in a general sense). I can see why it can be viewed that way in terms of the dialogue, but in a way I can see why it needed to be mentioned. History is very soon forgotten.

Yes but that means the impact of this story will be utterly lost on a generation that has no idea who Walter Cronkite was. Or for that matter, what the Vietnam war was all about. The show is constantly preaching to the choir in an overly obvious, teacher-like manner. The characters are just spitting out things the viewer has already said or thought of themselves, because let's face it, if your politics lean to the right you probably aren't watching this show.

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

The show is constantly preaching to the choir in an overly obvious, teacher-like manner. The characters are just spitting out things the viewer has already said or thought of themselves, because let's face it, if your politics lean to the right you probably aren't watching this show.

That’s what I’ve been saying!  Political is fine, as long as it’s funny, which this show is not.  The ‘choir’ wants humor!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Yes but that means the impact of this story will be utterly lost on a generation that has no idea who Walter Cronkite was. Or for that matter, what the Vietnam war was all about.

So they watch the show and learn.  That's the point.

• Love 23
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I thought this episode perfectly encapsulated what's wrong with the show. The dialogue was so clunky and so contrived I cringed. That entire scene with Murphy, Frank and Corky sitting around at Phil's reminiscing about the good old days of journalism was like something you'd see in a sixth-grade play, where the characters each stand up and explain the meaning of Thanksgiving to the audience. The story about LBJ saying if he lost Walter Cronkite he lost the country is something I've heard a dozen times in my life. To work that into the dialogue as though it were news to anyone felt so didactic and condescending. I mean, everyone at that table knows that story like the back of their hand . . . why would anyone recite it as though nobody had ever heard it? 

Too much of what the characters are saying sounds deliberately instructive, it's like they are directly channeling liberal commentary that's so stale and obvious it feels totally unnecessary. I don't need this show to teach me a lesson in civics or state the bleeding obvious about the current administration. 

I enjoyed the bits with the dog and that's about it - when the script veers off its moralizing agenda it feels more like it used to back in the day. But most of the time, it's objective is about as subtle as a ton of bricks to the head.

That's what happens when people reminisce. They bring up things they all remember, and tell the same stories, over and over - because they were important to them, in some way. 

And Walter Cronkite was mentioned on facebook recently, as "real news". I was born after the Vietnam war ended (oh, actually just two weeks before: I looked it up), but remember the news anchors in England. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 18
7 hours ago, willowk said:

Loved Murphy's "I'm bionic" with her 2 hip replacements 

I've used that at the airport when they try to get me to go through the metal detector instead of the scanner.

• Love 10
20 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

I knew someone who did the same with her cats. They had a bell hanging from the front door, and they would ring it if they wanted to go outside.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I was at a fundraiser for Honor Flight (takes WWII vets to see their memorial in Washington for free) and a 30 something asked me 1) who the US fought against in WWII and 2) was WWII before or after Vietnam.  Appalling and sad to think these world changing wars are so easily forgotten.

I bet 90% of those who didn't live those nightmare years of Vietnam have no knowledge of Cronkite and his impact on that war.  After all, it wasn't on Facebook or Twitter so how important could it have been?

Was fortunate to have teachers who taught us about the Vietnam War, Walter Cronkite and so on, and I still appreciate learning more and more about the history itself.

• Love 9
29 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

I was shocked a few years ago when speaking with a young co-worker about my early days living in WDC when she commented that those things were history. History? It's my life!

In high school in 1978, I took 20th Century American History. When we were talking about the Great Depression, my father said, "That isn't history. That's my life," too. 

• Love 13
55 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

I was shocked a few years ago when speaking with a young co-worker about my early days living in WDC when she commented that those things were history. History? It's my life!

23 minutes ago, eel2178 said:

In high school in 1978, I took 20th Century American History. When we were talking about the Great Depression, my father said, "That isn't history. That's my life," too. 

September 11th, 2001 is being taught in history classes now, right? The graduating class of 2019 will be the first high school class that wasn't alive for it.

• Love 22
8 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

September 11th, 2001 is being taught in history classes now, right? The graduating class of 2019 will be the first high school class that wasn't alive for it.

That's weird to think about. Wow. 

• Love 9