Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E09 : The Spear

raven
  • Start Topic

17 minutes ago, Cambion said:

Yeah, but Michael may be trying something different this time to keep Dean from squirming too much.  Dean did say he was fighting the water/drowning, perhaps that is what Michael felt and called squirming.

So he drops Dean into some random life as a bartender with no memory of how he got there?  Kind of like Gadreel did to Sam except Dean isn't a hunter?

Edited by Casseiopeia
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

So he drops Dean into some random life as a bartender with no memory of how he got there?  Kind of like Gadreel did to Sam except Dean isn't a hunter?

I suspect (hope!) there's more to it than that.  But yeah.  Why not?  Took him a while to figure out a dreamscape of an alternate life in WIAWSNB.  I think having it make sense is pretty much on the bottom of Michael's list of ways to get Dean to sit down and shut his piehole.  :P  lol

Edited by Cambion
because 'in' is not 'is'.
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Cambion said:

I suspect (hope!) there's more to it than that.  But yeah.  Why not?  Took him a while to figure out a dreamscape of an alternate life in WIAWSNB.  I think having it make sense is pretty much on the bottom of Michael's list of ways to get Dean to sit down and shut his piehole.  :P  lol

I suppose but it would have been more successful (or Dean would have bought into it) if he was hunting with Sam and Cas.  I'm guessing he is going to catch on pretty quick that something isn't quite right especially if he's happy.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

I suppose but it would have been more successful (or Dean would have bought into it) if he was hunting with Sam and Cas.  I'm guessing he is going to catch on pretty quick that something isn't quite right especially if he's happy.

Yeah, IA.  I just don't think Michael's putting a lot of thought into it.  My take on him is that he thinks Dean "doth protest too much" and will accept his fate as the perfect vessel.  It's Michael's Achilles heel, I think.  He don't know our boy too well, do he?  :D   But then, all of this is just my interpretation and wishes for how the story will go and bears little or no basis in the writers' reality.  lol 

Edited by Cambion
Because I get excited and repeat myself, and click publish without a thorough proofread. lol
  • Love 3
On 12/13/2018 at 7:30 PM, SueB said:

- SLO-mo wall of BadAss.   The music definitely felt like a Die Hard shout out. 

Yes they were definitely channeling Die Hard in that scene.

My big problem with the episode was why the hell didn't they just bring Kaia with them?  She's the freaking spear master and would have had Michael skewered in a heartbeat.  But plot dictated that it had to be Dean so Michael could jump back into his body, so meh.

I know it was all supposed to be the big dramatic twist and all when Michael took over Dean again, but I still had to laugh when I saw Dean announce, "yep I'm Michael again" while still sounding like Dean.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Dobian said:

My big problem with the episode was why the hell didn't they just bring Kaia with them?  She's the freaking spear master and would have had Michael skewered in a heartbeat. 

IMO why does Kaia even need to be a part of the story? She should have been left behind with the rest of the waywards IMO. I would rather have the fight with the Winchesters and Cas regardless of her "mastery".

Edited by DeeDee79
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, Dobian said:

My big problem with the episode was why the hell didn't they just bring Kaia with them?  She's the freaking spear master and would have had Michael skewered in a heartbeat.  But plot dictated that it had to be Dean so Michael could jump back into his body, so meh.

I know it was all supposed to be the big dramatic twist and all when Michael took over Dean again, but I still had to laugh when I saw Dean announce, "yep I'm Michael again" while still sounding like Dean.

Kaia obviously didn't want to go with them if she'd rather hand over her all-powerful spear than risk her own ass. Personally, I'm exceedingly grateful that she stayed away. I don't have enough barf bags on hand to endure another round of Super Special Warrior-Sue Wunderkind's stupid flips and dives and her overall cringey, wannabe-badass self.

Dean is the most skilled fighter out of the core group, so it made sense for him to wield the spear. They didn't lose because of Dean's lack of ability, they lost because Michael had been in complete control of the situation from the beginning. He could have hopped back into Dean at any time, regardless of who was twirling the fancy meat fork around. 

Edited by BabySpinach
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, devlin said:

I am confused. Why are people hating on dean for what he said to dark kaia. What did he do that was so wrong? Correct me if I am wrong but didn’t she kill original kaia while attempting to kill Claire 

Who is hating on Dean? I think I may have been the first one to say I wish they hadn't had him lie, but only because, firstly, we know he is capable of convincing people to do the right thing without lying. And secondly, because it's just one more thing for KaiaSueBerens to use against Dean down the road.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Casseiopeia said:

3 hours ago, Cambion said:

I'm wondering if Dean the Bartender will even remember who Dean the Hunter is/was-because, to me, that's the only way that Michael could keep Dean quiet-by giving him something to do that he'd see as helping others, but away from the hunting life entirely-because I believe that the title of this one is pertaining to Dean. He's exhibited nihilistic tendencies before, IMO. Season 3-Houses of the Holy; S7-most of that season, up until the very end; S10 the finale; Advanced Thanatology, from last season was probably the topper and he's also said numerous times that he's never cared about what could happen to him, but Sam is a different story(and he might now very possibly feel that Sam no longer needs him at all)-but nothing has ever really been done with Dean's on and off again nihilism except for it rearing it's ugly head whenever he feels as if he doesn't matter to anyone or anything and that he'll never make a difference for the better in the world we live in because he thinks of himself as too weak and/or not good enough-and as such, not up to the task-of being able to do so; not in the long run, anyway.

I'd love it if this aspect of Dean was explored more and delved into more deeply and if Sam and Cas(without being assholes about it) might come up with a way to help convince Dean the Bartender that he's needed and necessary to the world as Dean the Hunter for who he is, at his core, as both a brother to them AND as a strong and perfectly capable hunter of evil and leader of men.

And I'd love it if the hooded figure sprawled at the bar was "Dean", also.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Who is hating on Dean? I think I may have been the first one to say I wish they hadn't had him lie, but only because, firstly, we know he is capable of convincing people to do the right thing without lying. And secondly, because it's just one more thing for KaiaSueBerens to use against Dean down the road.

I should know better than to venture into the Twitter sphere 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Dobian said:

I would have hated it if her stupid poser ass came with. Her so called mastery is nothing but inorganic plot convenience. Michael has powers, he could have obliterated her with a thought and probably would have done so here. He had reasons for not doing that with Dean. Or even the others. And Dean wielded the spear just fine.

• Love 4

My huge problem with the ending is so...We now have the great set up for Cas going off to the empty.  Dean has been taken.  All have witnessed Michael declaring that Dean has been silenced once and for all.  Michael's last speech came from nowhere and I don't feel or believe it will amount to much.  I'm not excited, because it will be one big scene, maybe, and then resolved.  Cas will be happy because they have won and gotten Dean back.  Then poof off to the empty where the storyline has gone to Jack and whoever else they want to be the chief players. 

So we get a big set up to create high expectations / excited for only to have the story go nowhere.  Why exactly did Dean freeze so Michael could take him over?  Why am I supposed to believe now Dean won't fight again but is accepting of his fate?  Perhaps if they had bothered to set this up, I might believe it would mean something but a few minutes on screen doesn't a story make.  Too tired to be clearer but I was left with a big fat SO....

I was wrong that Garth wasn't killed off but now him being a super monster that can't fight of Michael's orders means what when he wakes up?  

It just makes me mad because THIS could have been a cool story if it had had more than a few minutes of screen time.   Still watching till the 300th but then I think it's time to take a break.  This is a show best watched by speeding through the eps without waiting for the next ep.  It has turned into a show to fast forward through the parts your not interested in because you can fill in the blanks with just a bit of dialogue.  I figure we'll get what 12 more minutes of Bad Michael before the real bad takes over creating the super new weapon because Michael has to be taken out.  None of this is spoilers just piecing together what we've seen.  Hopefully, this makes sense if not feel free to skip the entire post.

• Love 2
On 12/14/2018 at 4:57 PM, BabySpinach said:

I found the conversation between Michael and Jack to be surprisingly engaging, because the dialogue was specifically tailored to the circumstances surrounding these two characters. That's the kind of substance I want between Dean and Michael. I want them to establish a unique dynamic, the more personal the better. I want to learn things about both of them, and see if/how their principles and perspectives affect each other. That'd sure be nice, wouldn't it?

That would be so, so nice!

I found the conversation between Michael and Jack interesting too, because as you say, although on the surface it was Michael talking about Jack, it was actually Michael talking about himself.

You don't even know what time is. But you will. Real time, the time that makes mountains, that wipes out species..... Year by year, century by century, and as your power returns and grows, we'll only become more alike. Oh, I know, your loyalty. To Castiel, the Winchesters, the rest of humanity? It will fade. And so will the minor differences -- angel armies versus monster armies, this Kansas City or that Kansas City, one world from another -- they'll fade too.

Any loyalties that Michael once must have felt have "faded away", as well as his ability to even care about "minor diifferences" between one world versus another, or good versus evil. Talk about nihilism. As you say, it would be so interesting to see Michael and Dean interact, and see how they affect each other.

18 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

I think the handling of the Michael storyline and prioritizing any other random crap over it has been a letdown, the potential was there for something soooo much better. However, judging the episodes that we got, I really only thought the Season Opener and especially episode 3 blew chunks. The other episodes I was okay with, nothing too offensive and the occasional scenes I even liked. That`s still betting a far better average than Season 8.B or 9.A or 12.B.

There have been scenes I liked too. But also, as you say, a lot of time wasted on random crap. The mistake the show made was not in bringing Michael back now, it was in putting him on the backburner in the first place.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Dobian said:

I'm curious though, what should he have sounded like? The physical body is still Dean's, so having a remarkably different voice would be weird (see: Cas's bizarre accents). His posture, facial expression - or more accurately, his lack of expression - and speech cadence was emphatically not Dean-like. I can tell even from screencaps when he is Michael and when he's Dean. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I'm curious though, what should he have sounded like? The physical body is still Dean's, so having a remarkably different voice would be weird (see: Cas's bizarre accents). His posture, facial expression - or more accurately, his lack of expression - and speech cadence was emphatically not Dean-like. I can tell even from screencaps when he is Michael and when he's Dean. 

Yeah, I don`t think if he had suddenly used a squeaky voice or something, that would have been a good choice. Obviously his looks and voice will stay the same, just his mannerisms and speaking patterns change.   

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

Yeah, I don`t think if he had suddenly used a squeaky voice or something, that would have been a good choice. Obviously his looks and voice will stay the same, just his mannerisms and speaking patterns change.   

I vote squeaky voice. Fits this clown show.

• Love 1

I vote squeaky voice. Fits this clown show.

I think Jack would benefit more from a high-pitched voice. Then he could sing while he is skipping over a grassy clearing and cartoon animals land on his hand, enthralled. 

• Love 9
20 hours ago, Dobian said:

Why should they?  I mean why in the world would they trust her?  She's a killer from another world who killed out our world's Kaia and whose whole thing is "woops meant to kill the blonde(I assume Claire) instead" as if that's better.  The very least Kaia deserved was getting told a little white lie(because I'm pretty sure they would still try to get her back to her world, even if they couldn't do it in quite the same way as before).  

Also Dean knew how to use the spear, so the ability to use the spear wasn't the issue.

But even more why is that loser(aka KAIA) still here?  Wayward Sisters didn't get picked up, ditch any of them who had virtually no role except for being characters for that show.  Claire, Jodie, Donna - all had established roles and relationships with the Winchesters prior to the Waywards thing.  Kaia did not, there is no reason  for her to still be around causing issues on Supernatural.

As for Michael and Dean, I actually thought he sounded markedly different than Dean, immediately.  He didn't sound like Dean.  He didn't look like Dean in the sense that something behind his eyes was different and his expressions were different.  No he didn't use a funny voice, but his way of speaking, his tone of voice was very different(and it was less deep and gravely than Dean for one, Dean is the one with the "funny voice" in a way, in that Jensen has created that voice based on Dean's experiences and character, if anything Michael's voice is probably closer to Jensen's natural tone, though not his speech patterns)

Edited by tessathereaper
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, tessathereaper said:

But even more why is that loser(aka KAIA) still here? 

Excellent question. I gave myself a migraine from rolling my eyes continuously during her ( IMO ) totally unnecessary appearance.

• Love 6

Was anyone else irritated when Dean just had to get a one-liner in of "that's gonna leave a mark" to Michael when he stabbed him instead of, you know, KILLING him IMMEDIATELY? That smart-ass comment along with the 2 second hesitation before Michael re-possessed Dean had both my wife and I yelling at the screen.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, ZennyKenny said:

Was anyone else irritated when Dean just had to get a one-liner in of "that's gonna leave a mark" to Michael when he stabbed him instead of, you know, KILLING him IMMEDIATELY? That smart-ass comment along with the 2 second hesitation before Michael re-possessed Dean had both my wife and I yelling at the screen.

I think Michael was already affecting Dean at that point and that's why he hesitated.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, DeeDee79 said:

Excellent question. I gave myself a migraine from rolling my eyes continuously during her ( IMO ) totally unnecessary appearance.

Its almost like this season has been filled to the brim with pointless side characters, when it could have/should have been focusing on Michael, Dean, and all the fall out and drama surrounding that. But, I guess we couldn't have too much of all that interesting stuff, when we could have tons of screen time for Jack, Mary, the billions of AU characters, Kaia Sue and her dark cloak of badass...

• Love 12
On 15. 12. 2018 at 1:15 PM, Bergamot said:

I don't care that Dean lied to Kaia, but it does still bug me. Not because I don't want to have Dean shown doing something wrong, but because if he does, I want it to be part of his story

Exactly. And for me, the same goes about Dean's uncharacteristically narrow-focused, almost self-centered mindset when they were looking for the spear. The stress on how he wants revenge for what Michael's done to him (instead of what Michael's done to everyone, and what he's still planning to do), and the "I won't be truly happy until he is dead and I kill him" (as opposed to simply focusing on Michael ending up dead, no matter who does the deed).

That's not a typical approach for Dean, who usually wants things to get done, period. But it wouldn't have to be OOC if more time was spent exploring just how horribly the posession has been for Dean, and how it's gnawed at him -- the helplesness, the frustration, the despair... until he just had to be the one who finds and kills Michael for what's been done to him. We didn't see any of that, unfortunately.

• Love 10
9 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Its almost like this season has been filled to the brim with pointless side characters, when it could have/should have been focusing on Michael, Dean, and all the fall out and drama surrounding that. But, I guess we couldn't have too much of all that interesting stuff, when we could have tons of screen time for Jack, Mary, the billions of AU characters, Kaia Sue and her dark cloak of badass...

I really think this is because of J2 wanting more time off. They know we are still invested in the show and those two boys, and they’re trying to give it to us the best they can with the new contract. Of course they don’t flat come out and say this, but I personally think (hope) they signed a two year contract through season 15- provided its only 20 ep seasons and they get more time off. The only thing I can never understand though is why they keep throwing new side characters at us. I’ve always thought they could fill that void with more Cas since he’s an established popular character with a big following who is only in half the eps. I also always thought that Misha wanted to work more too, but now I’m second guessing that because I was at jaxcon and he mentioned how he likes to get paid for a certain amount of eps even if he’s not in them (he likes to get paid to have time off), and he also mentioned he may want to take a break after Supernatural. That’s the first time I’ve heard him say that. Of course, he also then added “because I’ll be in my 60s,” which was funny and gives me hope lol. 

• Love 4

I have said before I completely support them needing more time off for their families and shortening it to 20 episodes gives them almost a month more. But I don't like splitting them up/adding other storylines so they have lighter filming schedules ON TOP OF THAT. It's a bit too much for me and I think they need to decide whether continuing the show in a vastly different way is worth it. 

I am now preparing for an onslaught!

Edited by Bobcatkitten
  • Love 6

I have said before I completely support them needing more time off for their families and shortening it to 20 episodes gives them almost a month more. But I don't like splitting them up/adding other storylines so they have lighter filming schedules ON TOP OF THAT. It's a bit too much for me and I think they need to decide whether continuing the show in a vastly different way is worth it. 

I actually agree. But because for some reason or another even the show as is, is a dependable performer for the network and keeps bringing in money for the studio the longer it goes on so noone really feels compelled to change things. Unfortunately.

3 hours ago, Bobcatkitten said:

I am now preparing for an onslaught!

Well we'll see what happens this spring but I think both Jared and Jensen want to shorten the seasons even more. If that happens I think the focus will return to the brothers instead of all the guest stars, WS etc.

Edited by Casseiopeia
58 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

Well we'll see what happens this spring but I think both Jared and Jensen want to shorten the seasons even more. If that happens I think the focus will return to the brothers instead of all the guest stars, WS etc.

Who knows, they may have a contract for a 13 episode final season for 15. That way, our excellent showrunner and writers have plenty of time to develop a fantastic final season with a series finale that will blow us away our showrunner can screw around with his pet players and throw together something at the last minute for the series finale and not feel rushed.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

Who knows, they may have a contract for a 13 episode final season for 15. That way, our excellent showrunner and writers have plenty of time to develop a fantastic final season with a series finale that will blow us away our showrunner can screw around with his pet players and throw together something at the last minute for the series finale and not feel rushed.

Yeah that's more likely.  The un-strike part.  God we need a new showrunner.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

I actually agree. But because for some reason or another even the show as is, is a dependable performer for the network and keeps bringing in money for the studio the longer it goes on so noone really feels compelled to change things. Unfortunately.

The only way to change that is to quit giving them the views so that the higher ups understand we won't keep watching this crap but that's obviously not happening so viewers apparently are perfectly fine with the way the show is going. Or at least that's the message the higher ups are getting so why should they change it?

Until more viewers stop watching, no higher ups will get any hints there's something wrong. I'm pretty sure none of them are ardent viewers. Plus, just based on the responses within here, it's about 50/50 on whose happy and whose not but ALL are watching so . . . see my point?

I'll believe that when I see it.

• Love 2

There's only one true solution, and that's to end the show. They'll never trim the episodes or make it a show about two brothers again. J2 want more family time, and I blame them 0.0%. But you can't do this show with reduced screen time from them AND a shitty show runner who doesn't give two craps about authenticity.  Maybe if you replace all the writers and make it 10 episodes a season you could salvage it, but that's only realistic in a Djinn vision.

• Love 9

Some of this also seems to speak to writers who are alternatively afraid of real change (like recycling plot points and character beats, bringing in AU versions of beloved dead characters), and are also desperately trying to keep things fresh, by throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks (Kaia Sue, Jack) and trying to give us new stuff that often doesn’t live up to what we’ve had before. I guess some of that’s inevitable after so many seasons, but it seems like they pick weird stuff to keep us hooked on nastalgia, and to add into the show and give tons of screen time to. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Res said:

I'll believe that when I see it.

Yeah, when I first heard about the reduced episodes, I hoped that meant the network realized the show needed to get back to the Winchesters. So with three less episodes and a month less of shooting, if the contracted hours were the same that's what we should get.  I was so wrong.  At this point I think they could cut the episodes down to two and the guys would still only show up for about five minutes total.

Some of this really is their fault.  Yes, I understand that they want to work less hours, it's perfectly reasonable up to a point. But when the show stops being about them entirely, then why keep it going at all?  And the other problem is a showrunner/showrunners who don't even like the lead characters anyway and only want to write for their pet projects. So I don't even know anymore how much of this is keeping to a strict number of contract hours, or the showrunners preferring to use the platform for their own personal OC interests. Likely it's a combo of both.

Edited by PAForrest
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, ILoveReading said:

I only watched the a clip of the 3 mintues of the episode and I feel like it doesn't matter that I missed and have no desire to watch the rest. 

I rewatched the last three minutes many more times than I've rewatched anything in a very long time, certainly more than I've rewatched anything this season. I think I rewatched Mint Condition once, and all the Dean!Michael scenes from the first two episodes, and that's it. I did see the whole episode, and I can tell you if all you watched is the last three minutes, that's really all you needed to have watched.

• Love 7
On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:28 PM, gonzosgirrl said:

He still forgot that Cas had the egg at the end of LOTUS.

But, then Cas probably brought it back to the bunker and the men of letters raided the bunker in The Memory Remains looking for intel, but also the Colt.  They may have taken the egg.  If not then, then probably in There's Soemthing About Mary when they ambushed them and Ketch had time to reconfigure the place.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Katy M said:
On 12/13/2018 at 6:28 PM, gonzosgirrl said:

But, then Cas probably brought it back to the bunker and the men of letters raided the bunker in The Memory Remains looking for intel, but also the Colt.  They may have taken the egg.  If not then, then probably in There's Soemthing About Mary when they ambushed them and Ketch had time to reconfigure the pl

If only the show had bothered to explain it, like at all

• Love 1
On 12/14/2018 at 3:39 PM, SueB said:

But who's the drunk?

I caught the second half last night, after the new episode of Big Bang.  (Another favorite whose winding down, going away. But Jim Parsons knows it's time, and it shows.)

What struck me was the scene just before Cas arrived at Michael's suite, where sheMichael is sitting in the chair, visibly squirming.  She looked nervous.  Any thoughts on what was up with that?  Was this vessel fighting Michael, too? Or was Michael actually antsy over the fab four and the fancy meat fork?  Not that I care.  Just curious.

• Love 1