Type keyword(s) to search

Kids Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I laughed at the kid who said the name of his business was HIS name because he had no imagination.  

Unlike The Ben Year, this group all seems pretty likeable.  And I always love how encouraging Duff and Valerie are to them.  They're the perfect hosts for this competition.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

Foster earned my love when she expressed her complete disdain for coffee, which I share. So that was a bummer to lose her. Not sure how a cake that was missing both the logo and the complimentary ingredient wasn't even in the bottom two, but I guess excess extract + missing bottom layer = elimination. Oh well.

Genevieve is still my favorite. Her "how dare you, stencil", her blowing her cheeks out during the announcement of the results, it's all gold. And at one point the focus was on Naho talking about what she was doing, and in the background, there's Genevieve holding a tub of raspberry up in the air, chattering away about something to someone 😆

What I objected to was the fact that the hats for the vanilla and chocolate teams were different colors, and it was obvious which one was which.  It would have been more fair if all the hats were the same color and the kids didn't know which they were choosing.

• Like 5
8 hours ago, Rammchick said:

What I objected to was the fact that the hats for the vanilla and chocolate teams were different colors, and it was obvious which one was which.  It would have been more fair if all the hats were the same color and the kids didn't know which they were choosing.

At least the complimentary ingredients were hidden until they picked the hats. And I suppose blue = chocolate and yellow = vanilla might be considered obvious, but it's not a no-brainer, and it might not have clicked with the kids as they were running up to grab them all at once. Also, with the usual mad scramble, it's not like they could just walk up and easily grab a blue hat if they wanted chocolate. At least one kid said they were a bit bummed that they ended up with vanilla. So I think it was still random enough.

17 hours ago, Rammchick said:

Would have been nice to use all the same color so they had no inkling of what they were grabbing. If they had used brown and cream colors that would have been a total giveaway 

Edited by zenten
7 hours ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

Whoopie pie in a jar?

Most of these were odd choices. In that vein, I did love Ozan's responses to Val's criticisms:

Val: "I'm missing the pie crust in this lemon meringue pie"

Ozan: "I thought that would be hard to eat in a jar"

Duff: "I gotta agree with Ozan here"

There was another exchange that went pretty much exactly the same way (Val critiques, Ozan has a comeback, Duff agrees with Ozan) but I can't remember the specific issue. It was amusing, nonetheless. And Val rolled with it with good humor, as is typical for this show.

Glad Genevieve won the challenge! And that Naho got the most votes from her peers. She has a very calming voice.

Poor Peyton. You could tell she was rushing out of there after getting eliminated to avoid crying in front of everyone.

This was a pretty funny episode, including Alissa complimenting the juicer, and Nash saying "I've tried macadamia nuts before...like ten minutes ago", and he and Sohan basically auditioning for a wacky opposites buddy movie, and Genevieve and Naiel combining their respective weird energies for good, and Ozan's possible crush on Naho, and so on.

So I'm glad Genevieve didn't leave, because that would have made me sad 🙁 (Not that I'm glad Jason left, but, y'know...favorites and all that)

Honestly I was hoping for Alissa to leave but Jason had a rough bake (but honestly didn't he have to do most of the work on their combined cupcake and she kept changing what she was doing?).  Just not a fan of her and thought jason had been successful so far.  Oh well, all it takes is one bad bake, right?

• Like 3

I thought Jason got the short end of the stick with red velvet. It’s such a common and classic cake that it seems much more difficult to make that into a trendy cupcake, as opposed to the other flavors, which are usually other types of desserts besides cake (pies, cookies, etc.) or not desserts at all (PB&J, Strawberry Lemonade). It was dry, so he didn’t execute it well, but still, I thought he had a more difficult task than the others. 

• Like 6

I'm enjoying this season.  Likeable contestants, interesting challenges, and Duff and Val on point.  Some of these kids are very inventive!  I'm sad to see someone have to go home each week.

Well done (so far) Food Network.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

At first I thought Genevieve and Sohan got kind of screwed having meals with a ton of different components instead of a basic 2-part meal (e.g. steak and fries), but they ended up doing some of the more inventive things. Genevieve in particular! I don't think her win was even close, honestly. That was head and shoulders above the others (and yes, I am biased toward her, but still lol)

Kind of surprised Ozan went over Nash. That corn must have been a real brick.

Aw, not Ozan. In a season where it would be hard to pick a favorite, he would have been a strong possibility. You could tell he knew it was coming   

Isn’t this the second time someone had to make corn on the cob?  I don’t think that one was successful either. I hope they drop that, it looked too time consuming.  

Genevieve‘s looked great, but I was kind of surprised that they didn’t say anything about her only baked element in the main dish and just some coconut, cherries and bacon mixed in. I think they’ve done that before when a kid has done something similar. Although I guess making the boba could have made up for that. 

Happy for her win regardless, she reminds me of my niece.

Did any of the other kids make something additional for the escargot?  Didn’t seem like anyone else had time. 

Edited by Kakistos
  • Like 2
40 minutes ago, Kakistos said:

Genevieve‘s looked great, but I was kind of surprised that they didn’t say anything about her only baked element in the main dish and just some coconut, cherries and bacon mixed in. I think they’ve done that before when a kid has done something similar. Although I guess making the boba could have made up for that.

I think it was also the inventiveness and thoughtfulness of the items she used that overcame the lack of baking, plus the fact that it all worked well together taste-wise. (Though the boba certainly helped)

42 minutes ago, Kakistos said:

Did any of the other kids make something additional for the escargot?  Didn’t seem like anyone else had time.

Naiel made the ectoplasmic curd. I think Naho also made something different? I remember her specifically saying she wanted to make something new "so the judges won't just be having leftovers", but I can't remember what she did.

Watching this show is a bit like Russian roulette...as they check in with each kid, I'm increasingly aware of how long it's been since they've had a commercial break and wondering "is this the kid who's going to have a crisis that sends us to break on a cliffhanger?"

My first thought when the teams were decided was that they were a bit lopsided, and that's pretty much how it panned out. I never want to say I'm happy to see someone go, but I was never totally convinced that Nash was actually having a good time, so I think he was ok with it.

I freaking love Genevieve 😆

During the interview: "Do you have experience with pate choux?" "YEESSSSS"

Early in the challenge: "Genevieve! Genevieve!" *finally turns around with hands behind her back* "...........hmm?"

She's a riot and also one of the more talented kids they've ever had, I think. Kind of crazy that she's the youngest one this season, the only 10 year old.

Nash (who seems like a real sweetheart) has been hanging in there by a thread the least few weeks so it wasn't surprising that he was the one to leave.  I wasn't a fan of Naiel (probably butchered that spelling) at first but now he's kind of growing on me (a little surprised he wasn't a team leader since he's been one of the most successful to-date).  Genevieve definitely got all the ringers on her team - I truly hope it was random draw.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, RoxiP said:

I wasn't a fan of Naiel (probably butchered that spelling) at first but now he's kind of growing on me (a little surprised he wasn't a team leader since he's been one of the most successful to-date).

Naiel took awhile to grow on me as well...I think I'm just more in tune with his way of being now. I do like the range of personalities they have, with Naiel and Genevieve being kind of off the wall in their own ways, bright cheery Alissa, by-the-book energetic Sohan, and quiet calm Naho.

As far as team leader selection goes, I think Sohan was a choux-in (har har) because he really seemed to be the pate a choux expert. And while Naiel and Genevieve have both been successful and have similar goofy energies, he seems by and large to be more mellow, and she more assertive, so maybe they thought she'd be a better leader (or at least more entertaining lol).

This was Naho's episode for sure. Not only her win, but for bon mots like these:

"I don't agree that the customer is always right."

"Duff and Val need to calm down, because I've got this, and they're being overdramatic."

Me: 🙌

Genevieve had me worried when she sprinkled all that black pepper on top of her tart and plunked a big ol' random strawberry on top of her candied lemon, but she worked it out. Whew!

Alissa was a lot of fun and had a great attitude about everything, but I think this was inevitable. This final four, Naho, Genevieve, Sohan and Naiel, have seemed like they were the front-runners since basically the beginning, so I think this shook out as it should.

Sohan has been in the top two four times now, but just can’t get the win. Not even for a perfect croquembouche. Naho’s must have been amazing. 

The kids this season have made more things I wish I could try than any other season I can remember. 

Edited by Kakistos
  • Like 4
5 minutes ago, Kakistos said:

Sohan has been in the top two four times now, but just can’t get the win. Not even for a perfect croquembouche. Naho’s must have been amazing.

While they raved over the actual croquembouche, they also said his spun sugar was burnt and affected the overall flavor, leaving a somewhat unpleasant aftertaste. Naho seemingly had no negative notes.

41 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

While they raved over the actual croquembouche, they also said his spun sugar was burnt and affected the overall flavor, leaving a somewhat unpleasant aftertaste. Naho seemingly had no negative notes.

Yup. Goes to show that taste is more important than anything else on this show. 

• Like 1

I thought it was pretty clear that if Alyssa didn't get the win, she was going home. She has always been good, but she has never really broken into that top group of bakers. 

Several weeks ago, I thought it was probably between Genevieve and Naiel, but now I think Genevieve or Naho will take the win. I feel like Naiel has slipped in the last few weeks, and Sohan is always right there but never seems to get the win. 

• Like 2

I've never warmed to Sohan (and I find his unibrow distracting which I know is unfair).  His baking seems rather clinical and not like he likes doing it, but I admit he's certainly good at it.

• Like 3

noooooo 😢

Ah, that's such a bummer. I get why Genevieve was eliminated, but still. At least she seemed a little happier in her talking head after-the-fact. I'm sure she'll show up in one of their one-shot holiday specials, so I'll have that to look forward to.

I guess I'll root for Naho now, though they're all fine.

Never liked Genevieve.  To me she comes off like a spoiled brat, like tonight when they were judging her cookies. Her response came off as bratty.  “Just eat the cookies, eat the cookies” and on and on. I bet if these kids could, she would have thrown a Damn it a few times.  

• Like 3

Aww…I didn’t want Genevieve to go home, even though I get why she did given that she left off toppings. I do think taste is most important though, and I can’t imagine a sour cookie being something that anyone would want. I’m not even a sour candy fan though, so perhaps I’m not the best judge of that. However, I also didn’t think Sohan’s other cookie looked all that appealing. 

I’m rooting for Naho.

• Like 5

Genevieve has been my least favorite all along so I wasn't sorry to see her go.  I have a feeling that she's probably snippy at home when she doesn't get her way.  I don't think Val and Duff wanted to eliminate her but they couldn't justify moving her forward when she didn't fulfill the challenge.  

I like all three of the remaining kids so I'll be happy with whoever wins.  

• Like 2

Genevieve is not a favorite of mine — she’s too precocious and theatrical for me — but her exit was what I imagine most kids feel when she said “this has been the most fun thing ever”.  She has a great deal of self-confidence and will be fine.

Naiel is by far my favorite — I love his baking skills and warm personality and his steadiness.  I wish he’d win, but the editors are sure giving Naho the winner’s edit.   

• Like 4

I was glad to see that Duff and Valerie made the fair decision and sent Genevieve home.  There really was no other choice.  As soon as she said she was putting the bacon inside the cookie, I knew that was a recipe for disaster 😏

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Rammchick said:

As soon as she said she was putting the bacon inside the cookie, I knew that was a recipe for disaster 😏

It was my impression that the bacon inside the cookies was one of the things the judges liked most.  They liked how the bacon rendered inside the cookie.  Their only quibble was that the bacon could not be considered a “topping.”

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, TomGirl said:

It was my impression that the bacon inside the cookies was one of the things the judges liked most.  They liked how the bacon rendered inside the cookie.  Their only quibble was that the bacon could not be considered a “topping.”

Yes, they liked it very much, but it didn't fit the brief as a topping.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Rammchick said:

Yes, they liked it very much, but it didn't fit the brief as a topping.

Or as a filling. I think Duff was trying to explain why bacon in the dough is not the same thing as a filling (like a blob of jam or whatever). 

• Like 2

I also have to say that I didn’t like the twist in this episode. Maybe I need to go back and watch prior seasons to see if they were similar, but it seemed like the twists in the past either required baking a separate smaller item or using things that the bakers could incorporate into their desserts without having to change the whole thing. Here, adding a tea flavor basically upended the plans for 2 bakers. That seems silly. 

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Jess14 said:

I also have to say that I didn’t like the twist in this episode. Maybe I need to go back and watch prior seasons to see if they were similar, but it seemed like the twists in the past either required baking a separate smaller item or using things that the bakers could incorporate into their desserts without having to change the whole thing. Here, adding a tea flavor basically upended the plans for 2 bakers. That seems silly. 

Good ol' Wiki outlines all the episodes and gives all the twists:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_Baking_Championship

I only scanned the last few seasons, and while most of the twists are like you said (adding an extra, separate element), there have been times where they had to incorporate an ingredient like ginger or lemon into their actual main dessert. So it's been rare (much rarer, it seems, than the adult versions), but it has happened.

Agreed that it often screws up the bakers unnecessarily, but that's reality tv for you.

I have really enjoyed this season! In the first part of the season, I thought Naiel was the one to beat.  Naho has really come on strong in the second part.  Either one would be a great winner.  Sohan is very good, but maybe a step behind these two.

• Like 1

Honestly I would like to taste a chocolate chip cookie with bacon rendered in it - I would think it would give it a salty, savory taste that would cut through the sweetness of the cookie (since chemo I have not had nearly as much taste for sugar as I previously did).

• Like 5
  • Love 4