Type keyword(s) to search

Kids Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, mlp said:

I'm not sure what I think.  I was impressed with Ellora's free hand skyline but her cake didn't immediately make me think of D.C.  The red and blue stars and the cherry tree were clues but I would have had to think that through.  Sarah's cake was sloppy.  Her ideas were good but I didn't think any of them were well done.  Nadya's cake also was sloppy and was leaning.  The "bridge" didn't go with the rest of the decorations.  Overall, any of them could have won.  I think the sea lion is what gave Nadya the nod.  

Sarah's and Nadya's cakes said what cities they were, so naturally people would know by looking at them. I thought both of their cakes looked horrible. Nadya's Victorians just looked like paint smudges, the twizzlers, awful, both very sloppy. Nadya's sequoia didn't look anything like a sequoia, and Sarah's was worse. Ellora hand drew her skyline template, and her cherry tree was beautiful, even having fallen blossoms on the ground. I thought the stars were good too, and her cake didn't lean. Nadya's sea lion was good but that shouldn't have given her the win. Ellora was robbed.

• Love 11

They all did fine but none of the cakes really out shown the others. They are young kids trying their best to decorate and it always shows. Each of their cakes had decorating fails but you could see what they were going for. 

It normally is a toss up at this stage in the competition. It is rare that one kid runs away with it, although I know we have seen that. The Mona Lisa kid is the one I really remember. 

I was kind of hoping that the Bridge was going to be on both sides with Twizzlers going to the middle cake and reappearing on the other side. I thought that would have been cool. The seal was a nice touch on top. 

Sarah's Broadway sign was messy. Ellora should have thought about the size of her skyline and done it smaller so it would have just fit on the bottom cake. It was great that she drew it out and then added it but it was too big. She probably didn't realize how floppy fondant was because she doesn't use fondant ever.

And we decided that we are taking our son for a loaded milkshake to celebrate his report card and perfect score in his first international math competition. My kid doesn't bake at 9 but he loves math. My body appreciates that he wants to solve math problems and that I don't need to work out an extra two hours a day to support his baking interests...

• LOL 3
  • Love 8

I won't try to claim that any of the decorations were amazing, but I don't think Ellora was robbed. Her hand-drawn stencil was impressive, but it was too generic because it was monochromatic, and her cake was too dense. I think, sweet and talented as she is, she was a clear third place in this final challenge.

Nadya and Sarah were more of a toss-up since the judges seemed to really like the flavor of both their cakes. I'd agree that Nadya's sea lion helped push her over the top, but also her tree was better than Sarah's.

So, cake flavor/texture makes Nadya/Sarah > Ellora, and tree twist makes Nadya > Sarah. Makes sense to me.

I wasn't impressed with any of the decorating for the final cakes.  I think what got Nadya the win was the "sophisticated" flavors she used in her cake--and maybe the sea lion.  But her Golden Gate Bridge was laughable and her entire cake was leaning.

• Love 10
12 hours ago, jette30a said:

Ellora didn’t rely on pre-made stencils for her skyline and her cherry tree with its fallen blossoms was so pretty. I admit I was pulling  hard for her and I’m glad she did so well as the youngest baker ever. 

Ben was actually the youngest baker ever on the show, he was 8. In terms of the bakers in the finale Ellora was the youngest because she is 9 and the other 2 are 10 but Ben was the youngest on the show 

Judging must have been decided by the quality of the actual bake.  The decorations were surprisingly weak compared with other finale cakes produced in earlier seasons.  I think it's a little challenging for 9 and 10 year old to boil down the essence of those three cities in the decorations on a cake.   

I thought as the competition wore on, Ellora seemed to show the tiredness all of the competitors must have been experiencing.  Maybe she's an introvert and being around people who are always "on" was especially exhausting.  I also wondered if Ellora might have an undisclosed health issue (her little cheeks weren't as full in the older pictures with her family that were shared last night).  

I'm so sorry.  I can't delete the extra lines.  ARRRGH!

Edited by Phebemarie
Extra spaces due to the interference of the cat.
  • Love 8

This season just didn't measure up for me and the finale served to underscore the overall weakness of the contestants.  I am hoping that they don't repeat a season with such young children. 

For their ages they were remarkable and I hope they all achieve great success with whatever they attempt in the future.

I'm thinking now that I would enjoy seeing another season with the same bakers (minus the rude one) 3-4 years down the road.  I believe the skill level would be off the charts then. 

Regarding the winning cake....it really must have tasted good.  No way it looked like a cake that should win a championship. 

• Love 12
23 minutes ago, Phebemarie said:

Judging must have been decided by the quality of the actual bake.  The decorations were surprisingly weak compared with other finale cakes produced in earlier seasons.  I think it's a little challenging for 9 and 10 year old to boil down the essence of those three cities in the decorations on a cake.   

I thought as the competition wore on, Ellora seemed to show the tiredness all of the competitors must have been experiencing.  Maybe she's an introvert and being around people who are always "on" was especially exhausting.  I also wondered if Ellora might have an undisclosed health issue (her little cheeks weren't as full in the older pictures with her family that were shared last night).  

I'm so sorry.  I can't delete the extra lines.  ARRRGH!

I wondered about Ellora too,  maybe a condition where she needs steroids?  I am not mad at the decision but wish all 3 could have won.

• Love 7
21 minutes ago, jrzy said:

I wondered about Ellora too,  maybe a condition where she needs steroids?  I am not mad at the decision but wish all 3 could have won.

I really hope TPTB bring this group back again in the future.  Maybe three or four years from now.  Well, except the snotty little boy.  I did chuckle when Ellora said she wanted to be a lawyer, not a baker.  And she only gave winning a 'nine' because, jeez Louise, I can't recall her adorable reason.  It's all so dramatic, was it?

• Love 6

Can someone please clarify something for me?  Were these bakers the youngest group they've ever had?  It was confusing for me because it was only mentioned a few times and I'm not sure I caught it.  It's too bad it wasn't repeated.

If the last two episodes each had to be summarized in one word the loaded milkshakes would be "gluttonous" and the cityscape cakes would be "underwhelming." 

• LOL 12
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

I really hope TPTB bring this group back again in the future.  Maybe three or four years from now.  Well, except the snotty little boy.  I did chuckle when Ellora said she wanted to be a lawyer, not a baker.  And she only gave winning a 'nine' because, jeez Louise, I can't recall her adorable reason.  It's all so dramatic, was it?

Ellora’s reason for “9” was that “10” seemed so dramatic.  What an endearing kid.  

• Love 9
20 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

For me, nothing about Ellora’s cake was recognizable as DC.  The stars level didn’t mesh well with the messy, floppy black fondant buildings.  They just looked like any cityscape.  The NYC and SF cakes were very recognizable for their cities.  Ellora’s cake was dense and was missing some flavors; Nadya’s was leaning but sounded like all aspects of her flavors were good and her tree and decorations were good (except the licorice bridge).  

Sarah was so excited for her friend Nadya — that was very sweet to see.  I’m pleased with the outcome.  

I agree .  I think Ellora is very talented and seems super smart , but her cake did not look like it represented Washington at all .  Also the cake was dense and she did freeze her mouse by accident so she has very little in the cake .

Nadya’s cake seemed to be good tasting and although sloppy she did represent San Francisco.

I honestly would have been fine with any of fhem winning except the obnoxious 8 year old boy  

• Love 3

None of the cakes showcased a lot of decorating finesse.  Each had some obvious weakness.  Ellora had fingerprints on her fondant (which was floppy), but the other cakes had similar decorating errors.  I still think the competition was probably too long for the 9 and 10 year olds.  Were they away from home for the entire competition, I wonder?  Were there fewer days off because of Covid related restrictions? 

Maybe it's time to have a Teen Baking Challenge

• Love 3

Just caught up on the beginning of the first hour since my DVR decided I didn't want to actually watch the finale.  Ugh, the machines are taking over.

Milkshake hour: Add me to the list of posters who don't see the appeal of loading up a milkshake with baked goods (although, I don't like loaded fries, either).  That being said, I guess it's a thing and I was so glad to see Ellora get the win, not only because she's my favorite, but I really thought she captured the idea of what a loaded milkshake should look like.  Also, the whole bacon exchange with Duff was hilarious.  Sorry to say farewell to Summer, she had a really successful run. 

Cityscapes hour:  I knew as soon as Duff said Ellora's cake was dense she wasn't winning.  I didn't have any problems with identifying it as a DC cake, fwiw,  But yes, her fondant didn't really work because of its size; very industrious and creative, though. 

12 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

Ellora should have thought about the size of her skyline and done it smaller so it would have just fit on the bottom cake. It was great that she drew it out and then added it but it was too big.

This would have worked out much better.  And I've got to commend her again for just rolling with the problems.  She gets concerned, but then figures out a fix and keeps on going.  I hope she enjoyed herself, because I adored watching her.

I thought both Sarah and Nadiya's cakes were really messy, so it had to come down to the bake/flavor.  Congrats to them both on doing so well throughout.

I'd definitely be down for a Teen Championship.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, Phebemarie said:

I have wondered that from the beginning. Her cheeks look like "steroid cheeks," that kids with serious health problems often have. Also that she is so much smaller than the other kids. I did also notice that her cheeks weren't as full in the family pictures. She is such a sweet little girl, I wish her the best health, always, and pride in knowing that she is the youngest kid ever to be in the final four, and her cake didn't have any horrible mistakes.

• Love 4

I really enjoyed watching Ellora. Such a smart kid. I felt a bit bad for her in the cake challenge because the other two bakers had each been to the cities they got and Ellora had never been to D.C. (I also think a redwood would have been a better choice for San Francisco. To see a redwood, I only have to look out the window.)

Add me to the list of those who don't want a loaded milkshake. I like milkshakes; I like baked goods. They don't need to be combined.

• Love 5

I was rooting for Nadya because I liked her the best (although I liked all 4 of the final contestants). So, I should be happier with her win, but her cake decoration was so sloppy that it’s hard to be. I don’t necessarily have an issue with her winning because her cake tasted the best, but with all 3 cakes being subpar, I wish they would have just picked the winner based on the season as a whole. I think Ellora and Sarah were better throughout the course of the entire season.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I really enjoyed watching Ellora. Such a smart kid. I felt a bit bad for her in the cake challenge because the other two bakers had each been to the cities they got and Ellora had never been to D.C. (I also think a redwood would have been a better choice for San Francisco. To see a redwood, I only have to look out the window.)

Add me to the list of those who don't want a loaded milkshake. I like milkshakes; I like baked goods. They don't need to be combined.

I agree, and there was no way that tree looked like a sequoia. If she has seen them in person, she should have done way better. I agree also about the loaded milkshakes. Shakes are so filling by themselves, to see all those baked goods stuck on top was kind of "ew," plus I do NOT like soggy baked things, nor would I like crumbs falling in the shake. But Ellora's bacon looked awfully good when she was making it!

• Love 2

One thing to keep in mind is that these girls really are only 9 and 10 years old.  They all had incredible poise for that age, and although we might not think much of their decorating efforts in the finale, that was probably still better than most kids that age -- and many adults -- could do.

I guess the loaded milkshake thing is the non-alcoholic answer to the loaded Bloody Mary trend.  You can thank Instagram for most of this -- restaurants/bars all seem to be trying to top each other with how much crap they can pile onto a cup, and people take pictures of it to post on their Instagram accounts.  It's OK.  They can all stop now.

Edited by Rammchick
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, Rammchick said:

One thing to keep in mind is that these girls really are only 9 and 10 years old.  They all had incredible poise for that age, and although we might not think much of their decorating efforts in the finale, that was probably still better than most kids that age -- and many adults -- could do.

I guess the loaded milkshake thing is the non-alcoholic answer to the loaded Bloody Mary trend.  You can thank Instagram for most of this -- restaurants/bars all seem to be trying to top each other with how much crap they can pile onto a cup, and people take pictures of it to post on their Instagram accounts.  It's OK.  They can all stop now.

True that, in regard to the girls. It really isn't fair to compare their efforts with those of kids several years older, with alot more experience. That said, I still think, IMO, that Ellora's cake, while not perfect, was much better looking than the other two, and she did do consistently good work throughout the season. I haven't heard of a loaded Bloody Mary and I think I am glad about that! I agree that they can stop with that now.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

This finale should be proof to Food Network not to have such young contestants. 

Or, considering the ages of the bakers, they should have gone with a less challenging task.  Even with 5 hours, I think there was just too much going on. 

I think they should ditch all the twists, too, those are just an unnecessary stress (I find them annoying in the grown up version, as well).

One adorable thing from the milkshake ep I forgot was Summer commenting on the records on the wall, with no idea what they were, except that DJs use them to make that scratchy sound.  That was too funny (and yes, I felt about 100).  Heh.  Oh, and Ellora and her Play-Doh comment.  Seriously cute.

• Love 11

1 hour ago, JenMD said:

One adorable thing from the milkshake ep I forgot was Summer commenting on the records on the wall, with no idea what they were, except that DJs use them to make that scratchy sound.  That was too funny (and yes, I felt about 100).  

I had the same reaction to Summer's comments about the records. I think she also looked at them and said, " Those things look like donuts!" Made me feel ancient! 

I always feel a bit let down after the finale - I hate waiting until August for the next season to start!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, JenMD said:

Or, considering the ages of the bakers, they should have gone with a less challenging task.  Even with 5 hours, I think there was just too much going on. 

Agreed. Even the theme—cityscapes—was a bit odd for 9 and 10 year olds, IMO. 

• Love 6
On 2/23/2022 at 8:20 PM, JenMD said:

I think they should ditch all the twists, too, those are just an unnecessary stress (I find them annoying in the grown up version, as well).

Yes and YES!!

I thought the finale was disappointing.  None of them were able to do their best work within the parameters of the challenge, and I would've have preferred ending the competition on a high note for all 3 girls.  I'd rather watch older contestants, but if they're going with 9 and 10 year olds, give them something age appropriate. 

And for me, the worst thing out there was that licorice Golden Gate Bridge.  Not a winner in my book. (Though still worlds better than what I could do myself!)   

Edited by GeorgiaRai
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, GeorgiaRai said:

Yes and YES!!

I thought the finale was disappointing.  None of them were able to do their best work within the parameters of the challenge, and I would've have preferred ending the competition on a high note for all 3 girls.  I'd rather watch older contestants, but if they're going with 9 and 10 year olds, give them something age appropriate. 

And for me, the worst thing out there was that licorice Golden Gate Bridge.  Not a winner in my book. (Though still worlds better than what I could do myself!)   

I agree to all this, and the licorice Golden Gate was really bad. What was worse to me were those trees that were lumps of fondant stuck on sticks of fondant.

• Love 5

Regarding Ellora's health, I found this:

Back in 2020, Ellora started getting unusual symptoms such as intensely painful headaches and nosebleeds multiple times a week. To try and find what was wrong, Ellora was taken to a pediatrician, but they didn’t think there was anything they could do. As her condition progressed, Ellora started gaining unexplainable weight and stopped growing

... they got their answers at Maryland’s National Institutes of Health (NIH) in July, where they were able to complete the diagnosis of Cushing’s Disease and found the tumor on the pituitary gland. 

... “this tumor has taken so much from me, please don’t let it take away my dream of being on the show.” This emotional and heart-wrenching statement convinced her mom to not push for the surgery so quickly, and two weeks later she was selected for the show. 

... Two weeks later after the show ended, they flew back to the NIH in Maryland and the neurosurgeons were able to successfully remove the tumor on her pituitary gland as well as a cyst. Mrs. Gill-Martinez states “Ellora is in recovery now and doing well. We are so fortunate to have gotten to the NIH, they were amazing!”

How a Young Baker’s Dreams and Perseverance Gave Her the Recipe for Success

• Useful 2
  • Love 22

Thanks for posting that. I hope she has a speedy and complete recovery. I found it sweet that she choose not to tell the Producers or Judges about the tumor because she didn't want pity votes. And I love that her Mom taught her breathing techniques to help her deal with the stress because she had a heightened response. 

Hopefully they told Duff they were going to be in Maryland for the surgery, I am sure he would have provided some goodies for her recovery. 

• Love 10
5 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

Thanks for posting that. I hope she has a speedy and complete recovery. I found it sweet that she choose not to tell the Producers or Judges about the tumor because she didn't want pity votes. And I love that her Mom taught her breathing techniques to help her deal with the stress because she had a heightened response. 

Hopefully they told Duff they were going to be in Maryland for the surgery, I am sure he would have provided some goodies for her recovery. 

What a sweet, strong girl. To be dealing with all of that, the pain, the fear, the stress, and still do consistently quality work, being that close to winning is just incredible. It shows her character that she didn't want anyone to feel sorry for her. I would imagine that Duff and Valerie know now and have reached out to her. It's also great that her mother allowed her to do this thing, realizing that quality of life is important too. Ellora rules!!!

• Love 12
(edited)

Josette, thanks so much for posting that article.   First and foremost, so happy to hear that surgery went well and Ellora is on the mend.  That's just fantastic.  And how lovely is her mother?  Not only supportive and encouraging but also helping Ellora with ways to get through the competition.  I'm so glad she made it all the way to the finals; even though she didn't win, it sounds like she got a lot out of the whole thing.  I just adore her and find her outlook so inspiring. 

Edited by JenMD
Repetition
  • Love 11
10 hours ago, JenMD said:

Josette, thanks so much for posting that article.   First and foremost, so happy to hear that surgery went well and Ellora is on the mend.  That's just fantastic.  And how lovely is her mother?  Not only supportive and encouraging but also helping Ellora with ways to get through the competition.  I'm so glad she made it all the way to the finals; even though she didn't win, it sounds like she got a lot out of the whole thing.  I just adore her and find her outlook so inspiring. 

I so agree about her mother. How hard would it be to postpone the surgery, watching your child in pain, while they participate in a high stress competition. How hard it would be not to take her out and insist they go to the hospital. Instead she supported Ellora's dream and taught her ways to deal with the stress and anxiety. Ellora has a super mother!

• Love 9

Did it never occur to her parents to ask the show to delay her appearance until the next year?  I think a health concern trumps a show appearance...usually these competition shows -= especially with children - are very good about postponing appearances if there is a true reason - or was the "youngest bakers ever" the driving force?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, RoxiP said:

Did it never occur to her parents to ask the show to delay her appearance until the next year?  I think a health concern trumps a show appearance...usually these competition shows -= especially with children - are very good about postponing appearances if there is a true reason - or was the "youngest bakers ever" the driving force?

It is possible that Ellora was worried that something would go wrong with the surgery and she wouldn't be able to compete. I am guessing that her parents consulted with Doctors and made an informed decision. She lives in Southern California and her parents ended up in Maryland looking for an explanation for what was happening to their daughter. I don't think that they were going to take unnecessary risks. 

• Love 12
8 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

It is possible that Ellora was worried that something would go wrong with the surgery and she wouldn't be able to compete. I am guessing that her parents consulted with Doctors and made an informed decision. She lives in Southern California and her parents ended up in Maryland looking for an explanation for what was happening to their daughter. I don't think that they were going to take unnecessary risks. 

I completely agree. The article said that Ellora  felt that the illness had taken so much from her, she didn't want it to take this from her, something she wanted so much. There could have been a possibility that she would not have been able to compete afterward, or Ellora thought so. Blaming the show and accusing them of pushing a sick girl on in the interest of "youngest bakers ever," is wrong.

• Love 7

I think Elora and her family made the best decision they could given all the alternatives and outcomes possible. She made her decision and after dr consultations they decided to postpone surgery and let her go for her dream. She is such a strong little girl and I wish her nothing but the best in her life!

• Love 6

I'm very impressed with Ellora's parents for allowing her to make her own decision.  Of course, I'm sure that was after consultation with her doctors, to ensure that the risks were low (or acceptable, in this case).  I know a lot of parents who, out of fear, would have overruled a 9 year-old (I know my mother would have!).

• Love 6

Did anyone else notice how "forced" the reactions were when the one going home was announced every episode? Seemed like they were coached to go over the top with the hugs and well-wishes the second the name was announced. I know these are (almost) all sweet kids and do feel bad for the one that lost and want to comfort them, but they are jumping up to hug the one leaving almost before the name is out of Duff's mouth, and couldn't get in to hug him / her fast enough.  It seemed like a staged / forced group hug rather than genuine reaction by the contestants.  It's like they said "now don't forget - when the name is announced, make sure you give them a hug and comfort them before they leave" when in reality, it would have been better to just let them react on their own.  They would have gotten the hugs and kind words with more real emotion.

17 hours ago, Rammchick said:

I'm very impressed with Ellora's parents for allowing her to make her own decision.  Of course, I'm sure that was after consultation with her doctors, to ensure that the risks were low (or acceptable, in this case).  I know a lot of parents who, out of fear, would have overruled a 9 year-old (I know my mother would have!).

I agree. I am sure it took as much courage from them as it did from Ellora, to allow her to go on. It just boggles the mind how she was able to get through the season, doing fine work, with everything she was suffering. It would take parental nerves of steel to not just grab her up and run to the hospital!

• Love 6

I still think a health crisis trumps an appearance on a show, but fortunately it worked out well for all concerned apparently.  Obviously however I do not have all the facts as to how dire the circumstances were so apparently they made an educated choice.  And of course this show does not take place over the length of time we watch it (anybody know how long it takes to shoot?).

I'm in the midst of a medical crisis of my own.  Perhaps I'm a bit touchy on the subject.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

I still think a health crisis trumps an appearance on a show, but fortunately it worked out well for all concerned apparently.  Obviously however I do not have all the facts as to how dire the circumstances were so apparently they made an educated choice.  And of course this show does not take place over the length of time we watch it (anybody know how long it takes to shoot?).

I'm in the midst of a medical crisis of my own.  Perhaps I'm a bit touchy on the subject.

None of us knows how her parents made their decision but I am reasonably certain that they would not have allowed her to participate if she was in any type of danger. It sounds like it was a dangerous situation and that it had to be addressed. It also sounds like postponing treatment by however long the show was was not deemed to be a threat. 

• Love 3
On 3/6/2022 at 2:31 PM, mscool said:

Did anyone else notice how "forced" the reactions were when the one going home was announced every episode? Seemed like they were coached to go over the top with the hugs and well-wishes the second the name was announced. I know these are (almost) all sweet kids and do feel bad for the one that lost and want to comfort them, but they are jumping up to hug the one leaving almost before the name is out of Duff's mouth, and couldn't get in to hug him / her fast enough.  It seemed like a staged / forced group hug rather than genuine reaction by the contestants.  It's like they said "now don't forget - when the name is announced, make sure you give them a hug and comfort them before they leave" when in reality, it would have been better to just let them react on their own.  They would have gotten the hugs and kind words with more real emotion.

I don't think the reactions are "forced" at all. Not sure how anyone would be able to say they know that the kids are faking it, are coached, etc. Also, the kids know who is very likely to be chopped as the bottom two are always announced, therefore they would not need to be told how to react. Why so negative?

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

None of us knows how her parents made their decision but I am reasonably certain that they would not have allowed her to participate if she was in any type of danger. It sounds like it was a dangerous situation and that it had to be addressed. It also sounds like postponing treatment by however long the show was was not deemed to be a threat. 

Well obviously it was a threat of sorts, and I imagine that Ellora continued to suffer the symptoms she had been dealing with, but as said, who knows how long the season is, plus no one knew how far Ellora would go in it.

1 hour ago, HyeChaps said:

Her sweet demeanor said she was having a wonderful time. 

I'm not sure what one has to do with the other. She is obviously a very sweet girl, and said that she got alot out of the experience, but I can't imagine that she had a "wonderful" time throughout. She was ill, plus the tumor caused elevated levels of stress and anxiety creating hormone that she had to deal with as well. I think she was purely exhausted by the end.

On 3/6/2022 at 5:31 PM, mscool said:

Me!  I felt bad that the losing bakers didn't get a moment to process the announcment; they were instantly being hugged and told "you're a great baker!!" by the group.  I think it'd be preferable to give them a minute to gather themselves, say goodbye to Duff & Val, and then, if they choose, hug the other contestants.

And I don't make any guaranties about my memory these days, but it seems like this started in the most recent season(s).  Maybe it's not staged or forced so much as coached -- as in, the kids have watched prior seasons & decided (or been told) that this is how to comfort the losing baker.  No likey.