Type keyword(s) to search

Kids Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I was so scared for Ellora this round. I wasn't happy with any of the judging. First off, failure to strain seeds is a HUGE wrong move to Duff, yet Sarah won the challenge? I didn't see how any of the stripes were uniform on any of the cakes, yet he commented on some of them and not others. There wasn't one zebra face that was recognizable as an animal face, except for Ellora's, and I wouldn't necessarily think it was a zebra. I don't know what Duff was complimenting, on the ones that just looked like squiggles. Lucia has never been a strong contender so I was sure she would go today, but I couldn't believe that Ellora was on the bottom as well. I also couldn't believe that Lucia poured what looked to be nearly half a bottle of vanilla in her cake.

• Love 9

Man, that was stressful!  I was worried for Ellora when I saw her cakes go in the oven.  The batter just looked so low in the pan.  I wonder what the issue was; she and Lucia weren't the only ones with such small layers.  My sister was wondering if it was an issue with adding in the colors and some of them mixed it too much?  I don't know, but made me worried.  As far as her blueberry jam, I can't remember if she added sugar at all or just a little.  She took being in the bottom very well, I should be so calm.

As for the zebra faces, I like Ellora's the best and Sarah's the least (too far into impressionist for me), but if her cake tasted the best, I'm happy for her getting her first (?) win.  I thought Summer had some really nice stripes, even if they were far apart.  I thought Lucia was pushing it with the vanilla before she even poored more in, yikes.  She was so cute asking Val for a hug!  And then Ellora getting on the group hug at the end, her little self jumping on was just too adorable.  I swear, I can't even.  She just needs to make it through next week to the final, or I'm going to be the one crying. 

• Love 8
7 hours ago, TomGirl said:

I knew Lucia was a goner the minute she poured that extra slug of vanilla into her cake batter.

And when she was saying that she loved the taste of the vanilla even though it was artificial. I double the vanilla in my recipes because I love vanilla and I knew she had added too much.

1 hour ago, JenMD said:

Man, that was stressful!  I was worried for Ellora when I saw her cakes go in the oven.  The batter just looked so low in the pan.  I wonder what the issue was; she and Lucia weren't the only ones with such small layers.  My sister was wondering if it was an issue with adding in the colors and some of them mixed it too much?  I don't know, but made me worried.  As far as her blueberry jam, I can't remember if she added sugar at all or just a little.  She took being in the bottom very well, I should be so calm.

As for the zebra faces, I like Ellora's the best and Sarah's the least (too far into impressionist for me), but if her cake tasted the best, I'm happy for her getting her first (?) win.  I thought Summer had some really nice stripes, even if they were far apart.  I thought Lucia was pushing it with the vanilla before she even poored more in, yikes.  She was so cute asking Val for a hug!  And then Ellora getting on the group hug at the end, her little self jumping on was just too adorable.  I swear, I can't even.  She just needs to make it through next week to the final, or I'm going to be the one crying. 

I will be the one rioting if Ellora isn't in the finals.

• Love 12

I didn't think for a minute that Ellora was in danger, especially up against Lucia, who has been in the bottom more often than not (and I think Lucia is a sweetie).  I'm wondering if they were given a head's up about some of the bakes because i wouldn't have a clue how to make a zebra cake myself (but now I'm thinking about trying it...probably won't but I'm thinking about it).

Am I the only one who likes the little crunch of seeds in a jam from time to time?

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

Am I the only one who likes the little crunch of seeds in a jam from time to time?

To me that's part of the advantage of jam over jelly. It reminds you that you're eating actual fruit and not just gelatinous gloop.

46 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

I didn't think for a minute that Ellora was in danger, especially up against Lucia, who has been in the bottom more often than not (and I think Lucia is a sweetie).  I'm wondering if they were given a head's up about some of the bakes because i wouldn't have a clue how to make a zebra cake myself (but now I'm thinking about trying it...probably won't but I'm thinking about it).

17 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

To me that's part of the advantage of jam over jelly. It reminds you that you're eating actual fruit and not just gelatinous gloop.

I am fine with it in the jam but don't want it when I am eating desserts like cakes or cupcakes and the like. Strain out the seeds please.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

Now that TomGirl has broken the ice, I'll add (and I may lose friends here) that Ellora is my least favorite of the remaining bakers.  I like the two Knoxville girls -- Nadya and Sarah -- the most.  

It's all good, everyone has their own likes and dislikes. Just out of curiosity, thought, why is Ellora your least favorite? My least favorite is Riya.

2 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

I am fine with it in the jam but don't want it when I am eating desserts like cakes or cupcakes and the like. Strain out the seeds please.

Exactly, and that is why Sarah should not have won.

My heart grew three sizes when Lucia asked Valerie for a hug after her elimination.

I like all the remaining kids. Ellora is my favorite, but I'll be happy for any of them winning.

• Love 3
On 2/7/2022 at 12:17 PM, Adeejay said:

Interestingly, of the five kids featured, only Sarah is still on the show.  

Better a promo of mostly-eliminated people than a few years ago when there was only one kid in the ads from the start of the season, and she won. That was a very weird tactic.

I don't have a favorite but Ellora wouldn't be mine either.  I have no idea why but I haven't warmed to her.  If she wins that is fine but I find her a little too blah for my taste, which is probably totally unfair and she's probably a really sweet little girl.

• Love 3
On 2/8/2022 at 10:15 AM, RoxiP said:

(but now I'm thinking about trying it...probably won't but I'm thinking about it).

This seems to be the story of my life lately. Not just in baking - but in everything lol!

I think a lot....

• Love 2
5 hours ago, RoxiP said:

I don't have a favorite but Ellora wouldn't be mine either.  I have no idea why but I haven't warmed to her.  If she wins that is fine but I find her a little too blah for my taste, which is probably totally unfair and she's probably a really sweet little girl.

That's one reason why I like her, that she isn't all "look at me, look at me," but just quietly turns out quality work.

• Love 14

I would be ok with any of the remaining girls winning. I like all of them, and I think they all are pretty good bakers. I would’ve said Ellora was definitely the best baker before this week, but I can’t stand tart desserts (I’ve always hated sour candy as well) and her layers were tiny, so I thought she was rightfully bottom 2 this week. Lucia was the obvious person to go with all of that vanilla and her previous struggles, but I would have given the win to Summer. If I had to pick, I think I like Nadya the best. She has such a bright personality. 

• Love 2

I was confident they weren't going to eliminate Ellora when Lucia had struggled in previous weeks, but she still had an off week, and I do think she deserved to be in bottom two. It was a hard week because everyone did a pretty good job and no one did a runaway amazing job. I agree that I probably would have picked Summer's over Sarah's, but Sarah definitely had more striking looking stripes. There's also a big difference between straining blackberry seeds - an absolute must - and straining raspberry seeds - most people would prefer it, but there's an argument either way. Summer's cake was the cutest on the outside, imo, though.

I actually really liked the stylized zebra face they called a panda - it looked like a cute, minimalist zebra to me.

• Love 1

I just love Ellora.  This is the first contestant in any show that I have totally loved.  She is just the best.  If I was her age and lived hear her I would want to be her friend lol.  Beside that I think that she is the best baker left.  She knows flavors and knows how to decorate.  I really hope she wins.  I think this is the best season so far a part from the one kid who should have been eliminated in the first round but made it to three - haha

• Love 9

Tonight's elimination is going to hurt. All the girls left are very talented bakers and have the ability to win the whole thing. It's going to come down to some small mistake or time management issue. There might be tears here.

• Love 3

I wish we could just have five winners. These are just the sweetest little girls. Ellora is my favorite. She’s like the Beth March of kid bakers. Quiet, sweet and shy. I ❤️her.

But I like all of the remaining girls and Lucia and Riya too. Just overall a great cast. 

every elimination is going to be brutal. 

• Love 5

Goodness, this show stresses me out.  I was sorry to see Riya go.  I was kind of surprised that her overbaked cupcakes were ranked lower than Summer's dense banana cupcakes (those looked super underbaked).  I thought Ellora and Riya had the best overall designs.  Ellora continues to wow me with her poise as she recovered her caramel, even if it did come out too thin in the end (apparently it still tasted great, so yay).  I just adore her so much.  Summer's fire on her rocket was really clever (the whole rocket design was clever) and she could have nailed it if she's smoothed out the rocket middle and filled in the top.  Good on Nadya for not letting Saturn get the best of her (that was a tough one!). 

Next week, two hours and a winner.  How are we at the end already?!  I'm definitely pulling for Ellora but all these young ladies are talented so I hope everyone does well.

• Love 5

At first I was certain Summer was going home- those cupcakes did not look good at all. She was very smart to use Duff’s recipe for her alien! But then when Riya had baking issues on both parts it was clear it was going to be her. Too bad, she’s a sweet talented young lady. Every baker on tonight’s show has a bright future ahead!

• Love 3

I wish Duff would be consistent with his judging. He told Ellora that she should have put frosting around the sides of her moon, and didn't say a word to Riya, who didn't even have all the tops of hers frosted. I thought Nadya's Saturn looked a total mess, and the other one who just had cupcakes pushed together, Summer's? not a pull apart at all either. I thought Riya or Nadya should go. Either appearance matters, every time, or it doesn't, at all. I thought Ellora did a great job with her moon, and I agree that Sarah's sun was pretty great, though her alien was very messy.

2 hours ago, lgprimes said:

At first I was certain Summer was going home- those cupcakes did not look good at all. She was very smart to use Duff’s recipe for her alien! But then when Riya had baking issues on both parts it was clear it was going to be her. Too bad, she’s a sweet talented young lady. Every baker on tonight’s show has a bright future ahead!

Did you see how much butter Summer used for the alien?

• Love 2
12 hours ago, susannah said:

I thought Ellora did a great job with her moon, and I agree that Sarah's sun was pretty great.

Those two definitely lucked out in getting the easiest shapes to construct, letting them focus on the decorating.  I liked Sarah’s best; the glass shards were inspired.  I’ve no doubt Ellora’s cupcakes tasted great, but I thought the overall appearance was somewhat unattractive.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, susannah said:

Did you see how much butter Summer used for the alien?

They all started making huge batches and I'm thinking you only need 1 alien. Maybe they don't know how to cut down their recipes. Riya's design was spectacular. I liked Sarah and Ellora's. Nadya had a good idea on paper, it just didn't come together. I wanted her to take some cupcakes from the ring and add them to the planet. Summer didn't quite meet the challenge but made the best twist. I don't know how they decide.

• Love 4

Which design was eliminated?  I can't seem to keep the girls' names straight except for Ellora and Sarah.

I thought from the editing and Ellora's problem with her caramel that she would end up being sent home so I was relieved when she stayed.  I think Sarah is going to end up winning but I'm glad Ellora made it to the finale.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mlp said:

Which design was eliminated?  I can't seem to keep the girls' names straight except for Ellora and Sarah.

I thought from the editing and Ellora's problem with her caramel that she would end up being sent home so I was relieved when she stayed.  I think Sarah is going to end up winning but I'm glad Ellora made it to the finale.

Riya, who did the comets in the night sky, was eliminated, but her design was about the only thing that turned out ok. Her cupcakes were bagel-like and her twist UFO was underbaked.

4 hours ago, TomGirl said:

Those two definitely lucked out in getting the easiest shapes to construct, letting them focus on the decorating.  I liked Sarah’s best; the glass shards were inspired.  I’ve no doubt Ellora’s cupcakes tasted great, but I thought the overall appearance was somewhat unattractive.

I don't know how Ellora could have made her moon differently, it was as round as it could be, and the color variations were pretty spot on. Sarah's too. They were the only two that met the challenge of a cupcake pull apart. Nadya's was tough, for sure. I think the cupcake pull apart was a stupid challenge at this point. I would like to see what they all could have done with the same space theme, in cake, with having 3D elements or something.

• Love 5

Each kid should have had a planet to work with, and not Saturn, so there was a level playing field for the design. Or allowed to create their own planet with the twist being an alien landscape that they had to design. Or an alien playground. 

• Love 9
10 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

Each kid should have had a planet to work with, and not Saturn, so there was a level playing field for the design. Or allowed to create their own planet with the twist being an alien landscape that they had to design. Or an alien playground. 

That would have been great.

• Love 2
On 2/8/2022 at 11:35 AM, TomGirl said:

Like everyone else, I think Ellora is a cutie and a good baker, but sacrilegious as it might be to say this, my favorite at this point is Summer.

Aww I like Summer too. I like her personality. She is sweet  and has a good sense of humor. 
LOL, also, I was giggling like a kid when Duff was pretending he couldn’t find Val among all the zebra print. 

• Love 4

Since all the kids are 8-10 years old, (this season,) did anyone notice Riya's wearing braces? Adult teeth haven't all come in yet at that age and won't for a couple more years, so it seemed odd to me that she has them at this young age.

8 minutes ago, susannah said:

Since all the kids are 8-10 years old, (this season,) did anyone notice Riya's wearing braces? Adult teeth haven't all come in yet at that age and won't for a couple more years, so it seemed odd to me that she has them at this young age.

Riya is 11 (or was at the time of filming). I got braces at that age, in 6th grade. All adult teeth were present, just not being orderly.

ETA: Well, except for the wisdom teeth, which were still lying in wait to cause trouble.

Edited by tracyscott76
26 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

Riya is 11 (or was at the time of filming). I got braces at that age, in 6th grade. All adult teeth were present, just not being orderly.

ETA: Well, except for the wisdom teeth, which were still lying in wait to cause trouble.

Ok.I thought she was younger.

8 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

Kids are doing braces at a much earlier age now. Some of it is to create the space so that braces are not needed later or the amount of time in braces when they are older.

But how can you make sure that the adult teeth will be straight if they haven't all come in yet? I guess in Riya's case, she is older than I thought, so maybe all of her adult teeth have come in.

Ellora didn’t rely on pre-made stencils for her skyline and her cherry tree with its fallen blossoms was so pretty. I admit I was pulling  hard for her and I’m glad she did so well as the youngest baker ever. 

Edited by jette30a
spelling - dang iPhone!
  • Love 13

For me, nothing about Ellora’s cake was recognizable as DC.  The stars level didn’t mesh well with the messy, floppy black fondant buildings.  They just looked like any cityscape.  The NYC and SF cakes were very recognizable for their cities.  Ellora’s cake was dense and was missing some flavors; Nadya’s was leaning but sounded like all aspects of her flavors were good and her tree and decorations were good (except the licorice bridge).  

Sarah was so excited for her friend Nadya — that was very sweet to see.  I’m pleased with the outcome.  

• Love 6

My recording cut off right as they were announcing the winner (thanks DVR.) 

For the life of me, I couldn’t see the Golden Gate Bridge in that cake. 

I was OK with any one of them winning. 
BTW, loaded milkshakes don’t do anything for me. All I can imagine is how messy they would be to eat and how full I would be. Since germs freak me out and I never share food (seeing 4 people sticking their forks into a shared dessert makes me want to vomit), I would be left trying to eat the whole thing myself. 

• Love 3

I'm not sure what I think.  I was impressed with Ellora's free hand skyline but her cake didn't immediately make me think of D.C.  The red and blue stars and the cherry tree were clues but I would have had to think that through.  Sarah's cake was sloppy.  Her ideas were good but I didn't think any of them were well done.  Nadya's cake also was sloppy and was leaning.  The "bridge" didn't go with the rest of the decorations.  Overall, any of them could have won.  I think the sea lion is what gave Nadya the nod.  

• Love 10