Type keyword(s) to search

Kids Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 1/11/2022 at 8:45 AM, ProfCrash said:

His age matters because kids develop emotional skills and other skills pretty quickly. The difference between the average 8 year old and 9 year old and 10 year old is pretty obvious. Every kid has their own personality and strength and weaknesses but you can see how they react to situation changes pretty rapidly. It is why we expect older kids to respond better to losing then a younger kid. 

This is so true. I hate seeing a cast this young. I don't think it's good for any of them. Especially in an internet age where positive and negative reactions are so amped up

• Love 2

The first 3 eliminations were spot on, so that makes me hopeful about this season. Caroline is just as obnoxious as Ben. Same attitude and the way she talks to the judges is similar. Hope she leaves soon. I like the rest. Ellora, Joseph, Summer and Sarah are the front runners. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, JKL845 said:

The first 3 eliminations were spot on, so that makes me hopeful about this season. Caroline is just as obnoxious as Ben. Same attitude and the way she talks to the judges is similar. Hope she leaves soon. I like the rest. Ellora, Joseph, Summer and Sarah are the front runners. 

I don't like Caroline either. Santiago needs to get it together if he wants to stay there. I really don't know what he was doing the whole 85 minutes since he used the last 5 to fill and decorate his pie. He skated through this one, barely, but as it gets more complex, I don't see that happening again. I agree about Ellora, Joseph, Summer and Sarah. I will put my bet out here now, just to see, that Ellora wins.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, docmatt said:

This is so true. I hate seeing a cast this young. I don't think it's good for any of them. Especially in an internet age where positive and negative reactions are so amped up

I don’t think it’s great for kids either , but Valerie and Duff are the perfect judges for this type Of show.

Ben is just not emotionally immature, but he’s a brat who somehow has been made to think he can be rude and disrespectful.   

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, orangekit said:

I don’t think it’s great for kids either , but Valerie and Duff are the perfect judges for this type Of show.

Ben is just not emotionally immature, but he’s a brat who somehow has been made to think he can be rude and disrespectful.   

I agree, and a kid of any age will be rude and disrespectful if they have been allowed to be by their parents. I think parents who don't parent properly, who want to be their kids' friends and don't teach them to be good people are the ones who are emotionally immature.

• Love 1

I don't get the vibe that Caroline is as bad as Ben, maybe I missed something.  She seems receptive to criticism, and a pretty good baker for  her age.  I like all the remaining kids, so far, but there are so many that no one is getting alot of screen time so as they thin the herd I'll have to see who I really like.

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, trudysmom said:

I don't get the vibe that Caroline is as bad as Ben, maybe I missed something.  She seems receptive to criticism, and a pretty good baker for  her age.  I like all the remaining kids, so far, but there are so many that no one is getting alot of screen time so as they thin the herd I'll have to see who I really like.

No, she is not as bad as Ben, IMO, but I find her irritating. Overconfidence can come off as arrogance.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, susannah said:

I don't like Caroline either. Santiago needs to get it together if he wants to stay there. I really don't know what he was doing the whole 85 minutes since he used the last 5 to fill and decorate his pie. He skated through this one, barely, but as it gets more complex, I don't see that happening again. I agree about Ellora, Joseph, Summer and Sarah. I will put my bet out here now, just to see, that Ellora wins.

I was also wondering what Santiago was doing all that time! I mean, make the dough, chill for 30 min, roll out, blind bake, then bake fully. So his dough should have been in the oven within 40 - 50 minutes of the start. That would have given him plenty of time to fully bake the crust!

Oh well, I never understand how they (and in the adult version too) break up their time.

• Love 1
On 1/12/2022 at 12:14 AM, gwen747 said:

I don't deal much with kids. I do not find him "cute" or "funny". He's an obnoxious brat.

Back in the day the so-called sassy, cute kids were labeled as "precocious". Gary Coleman made a whole career out of it. I'm sure that's what the producers were going for when they cast Ben. But, the kid took it way to far. You're precociousness should not include being  disrespectful and rude to adults. Just glad they didn't send sweet, polite and talented Joseph home instead of Ben. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, JKL845 said:

Caroline is just as obnoxious as Ben. Same attitude and the way she talks to the judges is similar. Hope she leaves soon. 

Awww, really? I really like Caroline. I think she's smart and mature with a big personality. I haven't seen anything disrespectful or obnoxious about her at all. I think she's probably an aspiring actress, like so many of the kids and adults on these competitive cooking shows. It's just one big casting call. She's just trying to let her personality and confidence shine. Not picking her to win. But, I think she's a sweetheart!  

• Love 5
7 hours ago, 40Love said:

Awww, really? I really like Caroline. I think she's smart and mature with a big personality. I haven't seen anything disrespectful or obnoxious about her at all. I think she's probably an aspiring actress, like so many of the kids and adults on these competitive cooking shows. It's just one big casting call. She's just trying to let her personality and confidence shine. Not picking her to win. But, I think she's a sweetheart!  

Yes, very similar to Ben. But I didn't find Ben as bad as most people here do. I think editing and Duff played that up, yet he didn't seem too awful. Overconfident sure. I didn't see the trailer for the show either, so I think maybe seeing that over and over again could make it seem worse. Maybe she gets more of a pass because she's older and a girl? Not sure, but they seem very much to have the same attitude. 

• Love 1

I really think there should be an age limit of 10 and over. Not even sure about 10.  8 is way too young maturity wise and I have to believe he was not  the best baker out there against others vying to be on the show.

• Love 2
On 1/14/2022 at 7:42 AM, 40Love said:

Back in the day the so-called sassy, cute kids were labeled as "precocious". Gary Coleman made a whole career out of it.

And he wasn't the only one, by a long shot.

• Love 1
On 10/19/2021 at 6:35 AM, crazycatlady58 said:

I wish I could get the recipe for her chocolate coconut candy. Everyone raves about it.

I wish I could get the recipe for the cracker butter crunch thing Saylor made a couple of seasons back. Val was dying over it.

On 1/14/2022 at 10:42 AM, 40Love said:

Back in the day the so-called sassy, cute kids were labeled as "precocious". Gary Coleman made a whole career out of it. I'm sure that's what the producers were going for when they cast Ben. But, the kid took it way to far. You're precociousness should not include being  disrespectful and rude to adults. Just glad they didn't send sweet, polite and talented Joseph home instead of Ben. 

Yes, there's a difference between cheeky and brattiness.

On 1/14/2022 at 10:59 AM, 40Love said:

I like her too :)

On 1/15/2022 at 6:37 PM, susannah said:

And he wasn't the only one, by a long shot.

There's also Dee from What's Happening!!

• Love 1

Joseph probably should've gone over Caroline, but that would've left Santiago as the only boy left. I didn't dislike Caroline, but Joseph's one of my favorites, so I was glad he stayed.

Ellora is definitely my favorite, though. I love her.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, springbarb said:

Joseph probably should've gone over Caroline, but that would've left Santiago as the only boy left.

I thought the same thing.  Poor Caroline, I think she was totally blindsided.  She seemed surprised to even be on the chopping block, much less eliminated.

• Love 4

I don't want to be an apologist for naughty behavior, but many kids have had at least a year (or more) of virtual school, which affected socialization and behavior, especially for children in elementary grades.  Ben might be one of those little guys who's had a hard time adjusting to being back around other children.  That said, I really think he should have been eliminated week one.  

Allora for the win.  She's adorable.  

• Love 5

I don't think Caroline saw that coming. Second week in a row that Joseph was in the bottom. Hope he gets it together. I am going to need Santiago to stop hamming it up every time they call his name. Sometimes, Val appears to be more emotional than the kid who is leaving.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Adeejay said:

I don't think Caroline saw that coming. Second week in a row that Joseph was in the bottom. Hope he gets it together. I am going to need Santiago to stop hamming it up every time they call his name. Sometimes, Val appears to be more emotional than the kid who is leaving.

Not this time. Poor Caroline ugly cried. 

I hope Joseph isn't circling the drain.  He must do better in the next challenge. I don't think he's bottom of the barrel. 

• Love 3

Caroline was our family favorite so this was a bummer but I can contend that chocolate and piña colada don't need to go together so I guess we'll allow it.

My kids have been watching the show for years, and my older three are now the age range of the kids on the show. The 12 and 11 in particular kept saying this whole episode, "Always toast your nuts!". Yep, they get it.

• Love 6
18 hours ago, TomGirl said:

I thought the same thing.  Poor Caroline, I think she was totally blindsided.  She seemed surprised to even be on the chopping block, much less eliminated.

I just saw the episode. I didn't think the challenge was very complex, but the kids really brought the different flavors and themes to the cereal bowls! I think they all did very well, except for the tiny mistakes that Joseph and Caroline made. "Poor" Caroline? I don't understand that. I am not sure why she was blindsided, they told her that the chocolate overpowered the tropical flavors and that her cookies were underdone, when they tasted them. I don't know how Santiago is doing it every week. I never see him doing anything until the end of the baking period, and then he impresses. Ellora is just the cutest sweetest thing, and I she is is quietly going to win. No jumping up and down or running around or being the comedian for her, just quality work.

• Love 6

I was sad to see Caroline go, but then I thought they all did really well this week so it was sad for anyone to have to leave.  I don't know how Santiago pulls it together every time; he always seems so scattered.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, islandgirl17 said:

"Okie Dokie." Ellora is a tiny bundle of happiness. I am rooting for her. And Santiago, just because he amuses me. And he got his puppy. I hope he names his pup "Duff." 

I just love Ellora.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, susannah said:

Ellora is just the cutest sweetest thing, and I she is is quietly going to win. No jumping up and down or running around or being the comedian for her, just quality work.

This, so much.  I mean, yes, she is cute as a button  but I find myself loving her ability to just roll with things with a smile and that adorable "Okie dokie", while putting out some really nice desserts.  She had a caramel (?) sauce she had to redo back in ep 2 and she just started over like it was no big deal, I was so impressed.  Definitely my favorite.

• Love 9

Totally agree that Joseph seemed in trouble, but I just love him so much I was really glad he squeaked through. He definitely needs to step it up next round, though.

It's so nice when they have these simpler challenges and the kids bring their own creativity and spin to it. The twist was a good one, too.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, JenMD said:

This, so much.  I mean, yes, she is cute as a button  but I find myself loving her ability to just roll with things with a smile and that adorable "Okie dokie", while putting out some really nice desserts.  She had a caramel (?) sauce she had to redo back in ep 2 and she just started over like it was no big deal, I was so impressed.  Definitely my favorite.

I came across an article from a local paper that talked about Ellora, Santiago and (I think Caroline).  Ellora is basically self taught.  No bakers or cooks in the family.  Just a girl looking for something to do, during a pandemic.  She realized she liked baking because of the SCIENCE behind it.

I love her even more.  

I didn't think I could love her anymore when she busted out Cinnamon Roll cereal, but she's inspired to bake because of the science!

Right hand over my heart, "awwww" (think of the sound 5-8 year olds make when they see a baby animal)

Here's a link to the story and it is Summer, not Caroline.

Also interesting...it says the kids know a week in advance what they are going to make?

https://www.ocregister.com/2021/12/22/watch-3-o-c-contestants-on-kids-baking-championship

Edited by dosodog
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10

What a great article,  dosodog!  Man, I think Ellora might be more driven at 9 than I've ever been. So cool.

Clears up a question I've always wondered about recipes, too. Even knowing a week in advance what they'll be making, I'm still impressed the bakers have to work without them.

• Love 3

I thought this challenge was really hard.  Bowlfuls of tiny cookies, a fruit, nut and mousse?  I see they're giving them 2 1/2 hours this season, I guess in deference to their age, being younger than in previous seasons.   Still, this was a challenge I wouldn't want to try. I agree Caroline was caught by surprise, but when she started talking chocolate and pina colada I knew she was a goner.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, trudysmom said:

I agree Caroline was caught by surprise, but when she started talking chocolate and pina colada I knew she was a goner.

Just because everyone did a good job, though. Bad flavor combinations are usually not judged as harshly as technical errors in KBC. I think the judges realize that few kids have the flavor palate of an adult and don't have the experience to judge how everything will go, so they are more forgiving of weird mishmashes of flavor when everything is prepared correctly. It was just a good week for everyone, so smaller mistakes were the deciding factor.

It actually seemed like the judges were considering not eliminating anyone. I would have actually loved that, even if they had to send two kids home next week, Now that Ben's gone, I am really enjoying the group of kids.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, dosodog said:

Also interesting...it says the kids know a week in advance what they are going to make?

https://www.ocregister.com/2021/12/22/watch-3-o-c-contestants-on-kids-baking-championship

I've always wondered how they all know recipes off the top of their heads.  That would explain it.  I've made the same cheesecake recipe for years and I still have to look up the ingredients and proportions, and I'm not 8!

ETA -- After reading the article, I'm very impressed that one of Ellora's idols is Amaury Guichon!

Edited by Rammchick
  • Love 4

I remember that MasterChef, and later MasterChef Junior, had a skills lesson for the contestants because they were not suppose to be pros. I only watched the first few seasons of the adult show and haven't watched the kids show so I don't know if they continue to do that.

I always assumed that the kids had some lessons or some type of preparation for tasks because they cannot be expected to have made everything they are asked to make on the show, see the poke cakes from this season. I like that there is a learning element to the show, I hope that they get to spend some good time with Duff and learn from him as well as be judged by him. 

2 hours ago, Starry-Eyed said:

Just because everyone did a good job, though. Bad flavor combinations are usually not judged as harshly as technical errors in KBC. I think the judges realize that few kids have the flavor palate of an adult and don't have the experience to judge how everything will go, so they are more forgiving of weird mishmashes of flavor when everything is prepared correctly. It was just a good week for everyone, so smaller mistakes were the deciding factor.

It actually seemed like the judges were considering not eliminating anyone. I would have actually loved that, even if they had to send two kids home next week, Now that Ben's gone, I am really enjoying the group of kids.

I thought the same, that they were considering not chopping anyone. I have seen the adults make things with pretty weird mishmashes of flavors, to be original and different, and I have wondered how they all tasted together. Not all adults have the same flavor palates, and Duff and Val have had issues with some. It's not just the kids. As far as Caroline's pina colada went, I think everything she put in would have gone fine with chocolate, if she had not overdone the amount of chocolate, but it was also underdone. I don't know why she was blaming the dried pineapple, and her little rant about it looked bratty. I didn't like her "look at me" attitude throughout, always having something to yell out.

44 minutes ago, Rammchick said:

After reading the article, I'm very impressed that one of Ellora's idols is Amaury Guichon!

Ditto here.  Amaury is absolutely magical to watch.

Ellora is a baking prodigy -- she is so young but she just GETS IT.  

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

Ditto here.  Amaury is absolutely magical to watch.

Ellora is a baking prodigy -- she is so young but she just GETS IT.  

I just read her bit in the article and she said that she practiced very hard, almost daily, teaching herself to bake, and working up to advanced French desserts, on her own, with no bakers in the family. That is why she is succeeding. Prodigies can do whatever they are gifted in with no effort. I wish people would focus less on their ages and more on what they are able to do.

• Love 5

I only recently discovered Amaury Guichon on Netflix's School of Chocolate and now I'm a huge fan too. He's brilliant, and also seems so nice! I love that Ellora is a fan of his too. Now I want him and Ellora to do a show together!

• Love 7
13 hours ago, Rammchick said:

I've made the same cheesecake recipe for years and I still have to look up the ingredients and proportions, and I'm not 8!

Same! I am famous for making my own crusts but I still have to look up the measurements! I always figured they had some time to plan out their attack.

It did seem like Joseph's dessert should have knocked him out, but I think they don't show us the whole critique.  

Ellora for the W.  She is the most adorable child they have ever had on the show and she doesn't mug for the camera or talk like she's 4 years old.  Just love her.

As far as children baking, I was making all the birthday cakes in our house probably by the age of 8.  I would spend the summers with my grandparents and learned real quick that if I wanted to stay in the house and not in the heat on the farm with the bugs and snakes I helped grandma.

She had me on a chair at 5 years old frying eggs and making grits.  They didn't have the restrictions you have now for children, and I'd say by 3rd grade I made dinner for our family 50% of the time.  Kids can do way more than we think if we let them.

• Love 11
8 hours ago, kj4ever said:

She had me on a chair at 5 years old frying eggs and making grits.  They didn't have the restrictions you have now for children, and I'd say by 3rd grade I made dinner for our family 50% of the time.  Kids can do way more than we think if we let them.

I completely agree that kids are very able to do more than they are allowed to these days, both with activities that are fun and with those that aren't so much, like cleaning up, etc.That said, I wouldn't agree with a five year old dealing with hot pans and grease frying. They are still learning good muscle control at that age, and burns are permanent. So what kinds of things would you make at 8 years old for dinner? Expecting a kid of that age to cook family meals so often seems rather excessive.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree regarding Caroline's flavors.  I really don't see that combo being palatable, and yes, technically she underbaked.  I think the pineapple just threw her for a loop.  I like her, I've met alot of kids like her while teaching and she may be a little hard for some people to take but she's a girl who knows her mind, has confidence and won't be overlooked.  She'll use these attributes one day, hopefully to make a difference in a big way. Lawyer, maybe? lol

Ellora is a sweetheart, quiet, almost timid, I'm surprised to see her on the show actually.  Both personalities have their place, some endear, some irritate.  I like that Val and Duff try to find the endearing qualities of each baker and their work.

• Love 6

I absolutely love Ellora.  Have from the start.  I really hope she wins it all. She is creative, so relaxed, and just is a joy to watch.  

It took this season for me to watch this show because I haven't been the biggest Valerie fan.  But I binged watched the episodes and have come to love it. There has only been one contestant out of all the seasons I have not been a fan of.  He is gone this season.

• Love 6

Awww poor Joseph. He really bombed tonight. I can't believe there's only Santiago left from the boys. At least he had good perspective in his parting words. He did beat thousands of kids just to be there.

What does Ellora have to do to win a challenge? I just hope her talking head about winning next week doesn't jinx her! 

• Love 5

I thought Lucia giving Joseph an encouraging thumbs up as the judges prepared to eat his flat cream puffs was really sweet.

This must be bizarro world because I have agreed with the eliminations (though Ben would have been eliminated week one if I had my druthers) and a contestant on a baking show used mascarpone and pronounced it correctly!

Ellota is not just my favorite kid on this show ever, but perhaps one of my favorite people ever.

Edited by rlc
  • Love 6