Type keyword(s) to search

Kids Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I think from the get go, I haven't cared for Ben.  There is just something about his attitude and then last night when Duff told Ben that he needed to put his cookie back in the oven, I couldn't believe the over reaction by the kid, stomping off and then mouthing off.  He's not cute, he's not incorrigible, he's not funny....IMO, he's a spoiled little fart who has clearly never been told no.

He should have been gone.

Edited by LegalParrot81
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, kcrabtree06 said:

What makes me mad about this season being “the youngest cast ever” is if you look at past seasons, the younger ones on the cast are always the first ones to go!! Once in a blue moon they’ve struck out with someone like Peggy or Meadow who is 10 and can bake really well, but looking back at past seasons only two 10 year olds have ever made the finals and neither of them won. Why have a whole season of primarily kids 10 and under when the stats show they just don’t do as well as kids 11-13!?

I guess if you have a cast of all 10 year-olds, they're not competing with anyone above their own level of baking skill, so they're on a more level playing field.  

• Love 1

I've made a resolution, y'all. I love my cookery competition shows, lord knows I do. But there are so many around the globe now, that I'm going to stop watching kids (and D-list celebrities) bake. 

...When I told my poker gang this (cuz we were all saying what our resolutions were) they laughed their heads off! AS IF it were not profoundly meaningful or something!!!  : D 

• LOL 7

You have to wonder what they didn't show us with Ben.  My concern for him -- I'm trying to remind myself that he is only eight years old -- is that this performance will affect how other kids treat him once the final show airs.   I'm sure he got a lot of attention at school for his participation in the show, what happens when everyone sees how he acted?   I'm sure they won't be surprised but now he's brought his act to the national stage.  For his sake I hope he does not see the comments we are making but I hope his parents do.  They need a wake-up call. 

And in case anyone thinks I'm criticizing the commentary here, hell no, he is completely obnoxious and deserves it.  So obnoxious that maybe there's redemption arc coming and that's why they are showing us this?

• Love 3

I was so disappointed that Ben stayed and Finley was sent home. Ben would not take constructive criticism and was obnoxious about it. When Ben scoffed at Duff when Duff walked around and told him his dessert was underbaked.

Then Duff flat-out told him that "underbaked sends people home" (not a direct quote but you get the gist). 

Ben probably thinks he's untouchable right now, when the reality is that he's not as skilled as the others and he's got a crappy attitude. 

I was happier though with the desserts this time compared to last week. 

• Love 5

I would love it if they set an age limit, 10-13 and do a Teen baking challenge that is 14-17. I think 10 is already a bit young but at least the kids will have had a few years where they could legit reach the stove safely. 

I have a 9 year old who can finally reach the stove top without a step stool. We watch him if he is working in the kitchen because he is not really that confident or fully aware of every thing that he is doing. Ben's bakes show that he has an idea of what to do but he really doesn't have the ability to follow through with everything. He probably thinks that he knows what he is doing because he was cast but he really doesn't. 

I don't want to dump on him any more because he is 8. I have no idea why his parents thought this was a good idea. I would say the same thing for Finley though. She is older then Ben but had not been baking for that long. I don't think this was a passion of hers. She didn't give the impression that her skills were good enough to stay with the other kids had she stayed in the competition. Again, not sure why the parents were ok with her applying for the show in the first place. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

Again, not sure why the parents were ok with her applying for the show in the first place. 

Sadly, not all parents have their kids' best interests in mind.  National exposure on a TV show might be pretty tempting, even if it isn't the best idea for their child.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ProfCrash said:

Again, not sure why the parents were ok with her applying for the show in the first place. 

But they also had to audition, didn't they? Wouldn't they also look at how long the child has been baking, etc?

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, susannah said:

But they also had to audition, didn't they? Wouldn't they also look at how long the child has been baking, etc?

The family has to submit an application, I would guess with a video of the kid baking. Then there are interviews/auditions. I am sure they ask how long a kid has been baking and what they like to make and that type of thing. 

I am sure the show likes to have Bakers who are likely to be easy cuts early on and cast for exactly that. Finely with her level of experience strikes me as a kid who would have been case as a quick out. I suspect that Ben was cast to be the cute young kid who is a reasonably quick out. An 8 year old is not going to be able to keep up with 10-13 year olds in decoration or basic skills/knowledge. 

There are kids who are on the show and are discussing their baking business, normally cookies or cup cakes, which indicates that they have a better set of skills and a more developed interest in baking then Finley. 

I am not knocking Finley but watching the show makes me think that it is not something I would want my kid to go on if he has been baking for less then a year and picked it up mainly because he was bored. 

• Love 1

They edit the footage so we really don't know if Finley had advice or not. But my guess is that the judges mentor every child and help where needed.  I cannot remember a child who is as bratty as Ben in any season.  Duff suggests in the most unoffending way possible.that he should bake the thing longer and the kid totally disrespects him. He should have been eliminated for.poor sportsmanship!

I thought this episode was an improvement over last week but they should have been given the choice of more ingredients. All were basically the same with chips pretzels and m and ms.  More choices would have made them stand apart.

Edited by MsMalin
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, ProfCrash said:

An 8 year old is not going to be able to keep up with 10-13 year olds in decoration or basic skills/knowledge. 

I am not sure why people are focusing on his age, and assuming that no 8 year old knows much about baking or has skills, just because this one doesn't. Blanket declarations aren't good.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, susannah said:

I am not sure why people are focusing on his age, and assuming that no 8 year old knows much about baking or has skills, just because this one doesn't. Blanket declarations aren't good.

I have a 9 year old who helps me in the kitchen so I know where he was skill wise at 8. My kid is not all that interested baking now, and none of his friends are either. At 8, he wasn't tall enough to be able to bake much on his own. I wouldn't let him use the stove. 

Is it likely that there are kids doing more in the kitchen at 8? Yup. I would bet that those kids are helping parents or grandparents and not baking on their own. 

Can someone find me the rare exception to the rule? Sure. Ben clearly is not that rare exception. I would actually argue that the 10 year olds on the show are the rare exception to the rule. They probably started helping in the kitchen at 7 or 8 and worked their way up to baking solo by 10. And the 10 year olds skill difference is still really large compared to the 12 and 13 year olds. 

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

I have a 9 year old who helps me in the kitchen so I know where he was skill wise at 8. My kid is not all that interested baking now, and none of his friends are either. At 8, he wasn't tall enough to be able to bake much on his own. I wouldn't let him use the stove. 

Is it likely that there are kids doing more in the kitchen at 8? Yup. I would bet that those kids are helping parents or grandparents and not baking on their own. 

Can someone find me the rare exception to the rule? Sure. Ben clearly is not that rare exception. I would actually argue that the 10 year olds on the show are the rare exception to the rule. They probably started helping in the kitchen at 7 or 8 and worked their way up to baking solo by 10. And the 10 year olds skill difference is still really large compared to the 12 and 13 year olds. 

Really? Comparing all kids to your kid? You are also speaking about kids you know nothing about at all, as well as forming opinions about them.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, susannah said:

Generalizations are fine in casual conversation. Especially since Ben's sloppy baking skills and immaturity support the point the OP was making--that 8 year olds are generally too young for this show. If a true 8 year old prodigy appeared on the show, we'd all be talking about that. Instead we're all talking about this annoying kid who doesn't belong here--who was kept on in place of a different kid who would've listened had they been told "here's how to fix that" (and we know this because Finley listened and acted last week).

Generalizations about, say, race or religion or gender? Bad. Generalizations about the potential casting pool for a cable TV show? Fine.

• Love 4
50 minutes ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Generalizations are fine in casual conversation. Especially since Ben's sloppy baking skills and immaturity support the point the OP was making--that 8 year olds are generally too young for this show. If a true 8 year old prodigy appeared on the show, we'd all be talking about that. Instead we're all talking about this annoying kid who doesn't belong here--who was kept on in place of a different kid who would've listened had they been told "here's how to fix that" (and we know this because Finley listened and acted last week).

Generalizations about, say, race or religion or gender? Bad. Generalizations about the potential casting pool for a cable TV show? Fine.

I don't agree that because one kid of that age isn't right for the show, that it proves that all kids of that age have no baking skill or talent. It wasn't because of Ben's age either. Unparented, spoiled kids are like that at any age. It wasn't fair to keep him and let Finley go, but not because he was eight. I can remember a few other, older kids who had a few attitude issues to the other kids, and others who have argued with Duff, though none as rudely as Ben. I don't like generalizations any time because they have no validity.

51 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I really wonder what Ben's audition reel looked like. 

I really wonder what Duff and Valerie said about him and to him!

• Love 2

McLean is about 15-20 minutes from where I live, so I was rooting for Finley. Bummer. I have zero doubt that Ben would have gone home instead if he wasn’t the youngest one there.

What an awful child. His parents need to nip his whole deal in the bud, or he’s going to become an absolute monster. 

I’m pulling for Joseph now. Such an adorable kid! He has a great demeanor, too. 

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, susannah said:

I don't agree that because one kid of that age isn't right for the show, that it proves that all kids of that age have no baking skill or talent. It wasn't because of Ben's age either. Unparented, spoiled kids are like that at any age. It wasn't fair to keep him and let Finley go, but not because he was eight. I can remember a few other, older kids who had a few attitude issues to the other kids, and others who have argued with Duff, though none as rudely as Ben. I don't like generalizations any time because they have no validity.

Nobody is saying that. Literally no one. Please reread what I wrote:

If a true 8 year old prodigy appeared on the show, we'd all be talking about that.

The previous OP made a generalization about how children at that age don't have the skills necessary to compete and generally that is correct. I am completely fine with the generalization that it takes time to become a good baker and younger children lack the finer motor skills, their palates haven't been exposed to as much, they lack the experience. If there were an exception? Great--that would make fantastic TV. As I said above.

The "all generalizations are bad" is just silly. It's like taking offense to "generally NBA players are better than high schoolers." Again it takes time and experience to become good at anything.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Nobody is saying that. Literally no one. Please reread what I wrote:

The previous OP made a generalization about how children at that age don't have the skills necessary to compete and generally that is correct. I am completely fine with the generalization that it takes time to become a good baker and younger children lack the finer motor skills, their palates haven't been exposed to as much, they lack the experience. If there were an exception? Great--that would make fantastic TV. As I said above.

The "all generalizations are bad" is just silly. It's like taking offense to "generally NBA players are better than high schoolers." Again it takes time and experience to become good at anything.

Ellora is 9 and doing very well so far. Meadow was just 10 and in the final 3 her year. But whatever.

I'd like to see a little less indignation over the supposedly offensive generalization that 8 year olds aren't likely to be the best bakers, and a little more indignation over the earlier statement that an 8 year old needs to be smacked upside the head several times. He might be exhibiting some bratty behavior, but he doesn't deserve that.

16 hours ago, MsMalin said:

I thought this episode was an improvement over last week but they should have been given the choice of more ingredients. All were basically the same with chips pretzels and m and ms.  More choices would have made them stand apart.

They were allowed to make a choice with the twist, so perhaps that's enough individualism at this age.

On 1/4/2022 at 1:55 AM, susannah said:

I so did too. All of it really bugs me but it was just so unfair to Finley, who would have listened to anyone advising her to cook them longer. If Ben had not been advised, it would have been more fair, since Finley's were way underbaked. But he was, and she wasn't. Why would the producers want to keep him?

They're rewarding bad behavior. His parents should be embarrassed. My mom would have come on the studio floor in the middle of taping to check me about any inappropriate behavior.  Heh! 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

I'd like to see a little less indignation over the supposedly offensive generalization that 8 year olds aren't likely to be the best bakers, and a little more indignation over the earlier statement that an 8 year old needs to be smacked upside the head several times. He might be exhibiting some bratty behavior, but he doesn't deserve that.

So no one is actually hitting him. It's just written opinions. He does need to have a come to Jesus meeting, in whatever way that happens. However he obvs has parents who don't care what he does or says.

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, susannah said:

So no one is actually hitting him. It's just written opinions. He does need to have a come to Jesus meeting, in whatever way that happens. However he obvs has parents who don't care what he does or says.

I know no one is actually hitting him; it's still a strong statement to make about an 8 year old kid. I just find it interesting that a comment like that is apparently no big deal, and yet fairly innocuous comments about 8-10 year olds generally being too young for a show like this got such a strong reaction (particularly when you were in agreement earlier that there should be an age limit set at 10).

Jeezus, I wrote that post about Ben. It was a hyperbolic reaction to watching an obnoxious kid. I would never hit a child. I think my post was taken in the spirit it was intended by most people. 

I apologize for ever bringing that to the table. Ben's parents need to figure out more creative ways to curb him before he's completely out of control.

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Love 20
41 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Jeezus, I wrote that post about Ben. It was a hyperbolic reaction to watching an obnoxious kid. I would never hit a child. I think my post was taken in the spirit it was intended by most people. 

I apologize for even bringing that to the table. Ben's parents need to figure out more creative ways to curb him before he's completely out of control.

For the record, though I saw your post, yours was not the specific one I was referring to in which someone talked about Ben needing to be "smacked upside the head. Several times". Again, I know no one was actually going to hit him - just saying that I don't think it's cool to say things like that.

But that wasn't even the point I was originally trying to make, which has gotten totally lost. So I'm going to drop it and step aside for awhile since it's gotten off topic. Carry on.

Do ya'll think Duff and Val come up with the challenges or the producers?  I was thinking how sick I would feel after tasting so many super sweet desserts in so short a time.  I said it before, there are too many kids!

I like seeing the past winners' instagram pages to see what they're up to. For the most part it looks like they bake bake bake and post post post for a year or so after winning then gradually taper off.  Grow up, move on, get bored with it?  Last season's winner, Keaton, is still posting but all his cakes are in the same 3-4 layer, stacked cake format.  Easy for him I'm sure but I love to see when they branch out to other things.

12 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I apologize for ever bringing that to the table. Ben's parents need to figure out more creative ways to curb him before he's completely out of control.

I also posted that about slapping him. I also agree that no one was advocating violence or child abuse, and also that most people would take it as it was intended.

8 hours ago, trudysmom said:

Do ya'll think Duff and Val come up with the challenges or the producers?  I was thinking how sick I would feel after tasting so many super sweet desserts in so short a time.  I said it before, there are too many kids!

I like seeing the past winners' instagram pages to see what they're up to. For the most part it looks like they bake bake bake and post post post for a year or so after winning then gradually taper off.  Grow up, move on, get bored with it?  Last season's winner, Keaton, is still posting but all his cakes are in the same 3-4 layer, stacked cake format.  Easy for him I'm sure but I love to see when they branch out to other things.

What I wonder is when the kids have to make dessert imposters, they have to make the ingredients out of all kinds of things, in one dish, yet apparently they  have to all taste good together, and I don't know how they do that.

3 hours ago, susannah said:

What I wonder is when the kids have to make dessert imposters, they have to make the ingredients out of all kinds of things, in one dish, yet apparently they  have to all taste good together, and I don't know how they do that.

And that is a good argument for older kids to compete.  To much younger kids sweet equals good.  Edible, not necessarily good. Over time people develop a sense of taste beyond the sweetness, to more balanced flavors being just as, or more, satisfying.  This is coming from a woman who has had trouble getting it when they say "too sweet".  Is there such a thing, lol.  Well yes, there is.  Dessert imposters usually involve alot of white chocolate 'lettuce', so yeah it would be hard for a seasoned baker to balance those flavors into something most people would want to eat, and not just present a cute novelty dessert.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, trudysmom said:

And that is a good argument for older kids to compete.  To much younger kids sweet equals good.  Edible, not necessarily good. Over time people develop a sense of taste beyond the sweetness, to more balanced flavors being just as, or more, satisfying.  This is coming from a woman who has had trouble getting it when they say "too sweet".  Is there such a thing, lol.  Well yes, there is.  Dessert imposters usually involve alot of white chocolate 'lettuce', so yeah it would be hard for a seasoned baker to balance those flavors into something most people would want to eat, and not just present a cute novelty dessert.

Yeah, white chocolate/gum paste/fondant, all of the stuff to make it look like it is supposed to, but how they make it so it can taste good together, I don't know. It seems a really tough challenge that those items are supposed to look exact certain ways, and appearance is everything, yet also expect everything to taste good together too! I also wonder about the ones in which the bakers seems to put every available flavor combination into or on their cakes, anywhere they can cram them in! I do feel for Duff and Valerie at times.

For me too sweet = pecan pie, also lots of frostings can be too much.

New group of kiddos. The youngest member of the crew is only eight, but Mom and Pops need to have a sit down with him and curtail that attitude. Talking back and openly defying Duff? When Duff tries to help you out and gently suggests that you put your raw blondies in the oven for a bit longer, you do not tell him NO. And then mouth back AGAIN when they're critiquing your product? Valerie noticeably cringed when Benjamin mouthed back at Duff. 

That's why you ended up in the bottom two, Benji. Unfortunately, the other kid's bars were even more raw. 

• Love 1

I’m sure Ben was given a talking-to when this episode was over—if not from his parents, then from the producers. Keeping Duff happy is more important than any ratings from an “adorable” child. 

It will be interesting to see his attitude next week. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

I’m sure Ben was given a talking-to when this episode was over—if not from his parents, then from the producers. Keeping Duff happy is more important than any ratings from an “adorable” child. 

It will be interesting to see his attitude next week. 

I doubt his parents gave him a talking to. For a child to be so openly rude to an adult indicates that they have been taught that this is okay, and I am sure he is like this with his parents. I feel sorry for his teachers, etc. I used to be a preschool teacher and saw this attitude in young kids, and it boggles the mind.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

Or Ben is playing up the attitude because someone told him to for the show. I firmly believe that these kids are coached to behave in a certain way. I don’t doubt that there is some underlying truth to what we see but I suspect that the kids play it up. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
44 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

Or Ben is playing up the attitude because someone told him to for the show. I firmly believe that these kids are coached to behave in a certain way. I don’t doubt that there is some underlying truth to what we see but I suspect that the kids play it up. 

Ben is the only one ever to be such a brat. I have seen a couple of boys on a show where they worked in boy/girl teams who were as offensive to their teammates, and I didn't think they should have gotten away with it, and there have been a few kids who thought they were all that, but never ever this kind of attitude. I don't see the benefit of telling him to act like that, what would that gain?

• Love 6
7 hours ago, susannah said:

Ben is the only one ever to be such a brat. I have seen a couple of boys on a show where they worked in boy/girl teams who were as offensive to their teammates, and I didn't think they should have gotten away with it, and there have been a few kids who thought they were all that, but never ever this kind of attitude. I don't see the benefit of telling him to act like that, what would that gain?

I am trying to find a more charitable reason for his behavior because he is 8. I can't see a benefit to behaving that way but if the Producers liked that he had a bit of attitude and told him to play that up a bit he might take that instruction in the wrong way.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

I am trying to find a more charitable reason for his behavior because he is 8. I can't see a benefit to behaving that way but if the Producers liked that he had a bit of attitude and told him to play that up a bit he might take that instruction in the wrong way.

It's reasonable to assume that the producers had a hand in it because they used that clip of Ben mouthing off to Duff as an intro for several weeks before the show aired.  Whatever they privately thought about it, they surely mined it for everything they could get.

Edited by Rammchick
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Rammchick said:

It's reasonable to assume that the producers had a hand in it because they used that clip of Ben mouthing off to Duff as an intro for several weeks before the show aired.  Whatever they privately thought about it, they surely mined it for everything they could get.

Indeed. Seeing that clip repeatedly almost made me decide not to watch the season at all, but I decided to give it a chance. Now I wish I'd trusted my instincts. Like others have indicated, I will be waiting until he's been eliminated to start watching again.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, dewelar said:

Indeed. Seeing that clip repeatedly almost made me decide not to watch the season at all, but I decided to give it a chance. Now I wish I'd trusted my instincts. Like others have indicated, I will be waiting until he's been eliminated to start watching again.

I guess I lucked out, I never saw that clip!

• Love 2

Thank god. At least he listened to his teammate and finished baking his cookies. Well, he only listened after his cookie feel apart on the spatula. I mean, you could see that the thing was raw but apparently Ben couldn’t tell. His jam was a juice. At least he was better with the judges.

Some of those desserts looked really good. I was impressed with both of the team winners. I kind of wish that they judged the same desserts at the same time but I guess that is less important then finding the one winner. 

I did chuckle with the PB Whoopie Pie, never put anything together until you know what the twist is. 

I do love seeing the kids pitch in and help out a kid who is struggling. I do wish Caroline, I think that is chocolate cup cake girls name, had said that she had lots of help with her jam. I mean, the judges know that but it would have been nice to hear her thank the other kids at the judging. Maybe she did and it didn’t air. 

Santiago’s time management is going to get him in trouble. 

Overall, I think the kids are doing a pretty good job. 

• Love 10

I’m watching the UGA-Alabama national championship game but had to come here and see if the long, national KBC nightmare was over and it is (hyperbole, I know!), thank goodness.  I’ll be tuning back in next week.  Agreed with Rabithed above — hope to never see another kid like him again on this show or FN in general.  Just not entertaining whatsoever and he took away from the other kids who are so enjoyable.   

• Love 5

Hallelujah!!! I was rooting for team chocolate so hard. It was obvious Ben had the worst PB dessert. But when Summer and Ellora did so well, I was so worried he would be saved. Thank goodness for Sarah and her whoopie pies. And they did look yummy. I do not do jelly so hated the twist. But I think it was thrown in so Val and Duff didn't have sweetness overload.

• Love 3