Type keyword(s) to search

Kids Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

27 minutes ago, susannah said:

I watched for a few minutes and thought it was just stupid.

It was clearly more about pimping that Descendants movie then it was about baking anything - one of the three layers of each cake was Styrofoam and that was encouraged!

1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

It was clearly more about pimping that Descendants movie then it was about baking anything - one of the three layers of each cake was Styrofoam and that was encouraged!

I know! When I heard them say they wanted a Styrofoam layer, I couldn't believe it, and then they were saying what exactly they wanted on the cake and where and whatever, to be all about that movie, and I just bagged it. I thought the adults were acting dumb too.

43 minutes ago, susannah said:

I know! When I heard them say they wanted a Styrofoam layer, I couldn't believe it, and then they were saying what exactly they wanted on the cake and where and whatever, to be all about that movie, and I just bagged it. I thought the adults were acting dumb too.

I don't know who that show was even geared towards. Disney kiddos that watch Descendants probably don't care one whit about baking.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

I don't know who that show was even geared towards. Disney kiddos that watch Descendants probably don't care one whit about baking.

Well if they are saying the cake has to have a Styrofoam layer, it isn't baking in my book. Who bakes with Styrofoam??? Another show I won't be watching...

• Love 2

Just a heads up: there is supposed to be a Kids Baking Championship Halloween special on October 18th, featuring "four fan-favorites" doing spooky stuff for a $10,000 prize package of baking supplies. It's sub-titled "Oh My Gourd!" 🤦‍♂️

8 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

Just a heads up: there is supposed to be a Kids Baking Championship Halloween special on October 18th, featuring "four fan-favorites" doing spooky stuff for a $10,000 prize package of baking supplies. It's sub-titled "Oh My Gourd!" 🤦‍♂️

It will be interesting to see which kids have been chosen as "fan favorites!"

On 9/20/2021 at 7:38 PM, tracyscott76 said:

Just a reminder that this is on tonight at 8:00. Couldn't find any info on who the four fan favorites are, but Food Network's description says that Duff is being joined by guest judge Natasha Jiwani, the Season 5 winner. I guess Valerie couldn't make it?

Edited by tracyscott76

I'd say that was worth an hour of my time XD. The fan favorites turned out to all be from the most recent season: Cydney, D'Von, Haylin, and Nemo. Even though their season just aired earlier this year, they all looked and sounded a couple years older.

No Valerie (I'm guessing just a scheduling issue; I'm sure she'll be back), but Natasha did fine in her place. And she wasn't afraid to actually judge, which is something I've always appreciated about this show. They don't shy away from straight up telling the kids when something isn't good, but they manage to do it without seeming like jerks.

My fave didn't win, but I was fine with who did. And I got to hear Haylin say "thank yew" a few more times, and she made her coconut chocolate concoction again, so it was a good time! Which this show usually is, much more consistently than the adult versions, imo.

I enjoyed it.  All the kids seemed a lot older.  I liked both boys the first time around and didn't like Cydney and her baby voice.  Haylin was my favorite and I was disappointed when she didn't win.  My opinions didn't change tonight.  Natasha acted her age and was poised at the same time.  She was cute interacting with Duff.

I thought Haylin's cake looked the best but apparently it wasn't as tasty as a couple others and her candy cascade didn't work.  Nemo earned his win.  

• Love 2

I remember Natasha. She seems to have become a very poised and sweet young woman. I loved her dress. I thought maybe the "fan favorites" would be from other seasons, but this crew was nice to see again too. I agree that Haylin and the boys seemed so much older than just a year. I also like Cydney. In every one of the previous "holiday" bakeoffs, the kids always salivate over the blast chiller. I looked them up on Amazon to price them, and the one I saw was $1200, not cheap, but since these kids are really into baking, and some of them even have businesses, I wouldn't think it would be forever out of reach. One of the boys said he wanted the food processor..those aren't very expensive!

I thought the winner would be between Haylin and Nemo. I liked Haylin's cake, it looked just like a pumpkin patch, so cute, and had no problem with her scarecrow being headless. Her spill failed though. Nemo's spill was good. That was the grossest, most horrible looking cake, but since that is what he was going for, he succeeded! Duff mentioned Haylin's headless scarecrow, but didn't have an issue with Nemo's dead one. I think Nemo deserved the win.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

I'd say that was worth an hour of my time XD. The fan favorites turned out to all be from the most recent season: Cydney, D'Von, Haylin, and Nemo. Even though their season just aired earlier this year, they all looked and sounded a couple years older.

No Valerie (I'm guessing just a scheduling issue; I'm sure she'll be back), but Natasha did fine in her place. And she wasn't afraid to actually judge, which is something I've always appreciated about this show. They don't shy away from straight up telling the kids when something isn't good, but they manage to do it without seeming like jerks.

My fave didn't win, but I was fine with who did. And I got to hear Haylin say "thank yew" a few more times, and she made her coconut chocolate concoction again, so it was a good time! Which this show usually is, much more consistently than the adult versions, imo.

I wish I could get the recipe for her chocolate coconut candy. Everyone raves about it.

• Love 3

What a fun hour. Great to see the kids again and Duff's always a delight. If Val couldn't be there, I am so pleased that they pulled a former contestant from a long-previous season. Natasha was poised and funny and a great judge. I wouldn't seeing other older kids come back and judge on specials like these or as guests. 

I love the specials at least as much as the series.  

• Love 5
9 hours ago, susannah said:

I remember Natasha. She seems to have become a very poised and sweet young woman. I loved her dress. I thought maybe the "fan favorites" would be from other seasons, but this crew was nice to see again too. I agree that Haylin and the boys seemed so much older than just a year. I also like Cydney. In every one of the previous "holiday" bakeoffs, the kids always salivate over the blast chiller. I looked them up on Amazon to price them, and the one I saw was $1200, not cheap, but since these kids are really into baking, and some of them even have businesses, I wouldn't think it would be forever out of reach. One of the boys said he wanted the food processor..those aren't very expensive!

I always feel for these contestants who win, however, because they're required to pay the taxes on their prize.  A cash prize is one thing -- the taxes are just deducted, but it's harder to justify taking home something "for free" that costs you something in the end.  I wonder how many contestants just decline the prize and take the cash equivalent?

Edited by Rammchick
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Rammchick said:

I always feel for these contestants who win, however, because they're required to pay the taxes on their prize.  A cash prize is one thing -- the taxes are just deducted, but it's harder to justify taking home something "for free" that costs you something in the end.  I wonder how many contestants just decline the prize and take the cash equivalent?

That's an interesting question!

• Useful 1

Tonight at 8pm there's another holiday special called "Light Up the Holidays", with four fan-favorite kids returning to compete for stuff. This time Duff is joined by Abby from Season 4, who made it to the finale but lost to Linsey.

Anybody but Bella. I couldn't stand her. Avner really shot up. Some of those cakes looked really sad underneath the frosting. Like they were pushed together. Surprised the judges didn't comment on how rough some of the pieces were. I liked Abby as a judge. Yay Jonah! His tsunami effect really redeemed his cake. I also liked Miabella's tsunami with the sprinkles.

• Love 5

Aw, I liked Bella. She was calmer this time, but still very chaotic 😆

The winner was pretty clear to me after the judging; I'd say it was the right call. I had to shake my head at a couple of Duff's comments, though. He said Jonah's candle (pre-tsunami) was a little plain and didn't say Christmas, but it looked exactly like all the actual Christmas candles on set. Then, he called out Bella's cake for not looking like a candle because it wasn't tall enough (which was true), but praised the look of Avner's tree cake, even though it looked nothing like a candle, either.

Agreed that Abby was a good judge, like Natasha before her. They were both delightful and had good critiques. Guessing they filmed this around the same time as the Halloween one, which explains Valerie's continued absence. I'm glad they went the route of bringing back "elder" competitors to fill in instead of using Carla or Aarti for the umpteenth time.

I was so glad Jonah won — his elegant cake turned out so beautifully after the cascade and his flame was the most creative.  Loved his joy at seeing Abby.

Speaking of Abby … she was a delightful judge.  Great job!  She had a terrific attitude about her meme — I’d never seen it — and Miabella and Avner were both funny about it.  

Bella was always a messy baker and she still is.  I didn’t care for her in her prior season and after watching tonight, that hasn’t really changed for me.  

Really fun seeing these prior KBC bakers.  I did miss Valerie though.  

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 6

I was so glad Jonah won. I remember him and thought he is such a nice boy. At first I wasn't sure about his cake, white on white, but after his tsunami it indeed looked so elegant. With it tasting as good as they said it did as well, he totally deserved the win. I didn't like Miabella's tie dye look, and Avner's tsunami over the piping just looked lumpy. Bella's was a mess and that didn't change because it was covered in frosting. I didn't like Bella before and still don't. She still comes off as a whiny, pouty, entitled twit. It was Miabella who was cut before after helping Bella not to be, and I don't know why they asked Bella back. It was nice to see Abby, also seems a lovely young woman, but WHERE is Valerie?

I think making a meme out of an upset, crying child is just mean. I am glad Abby had a good attitude about it but she shouldn't have had to. Lots of the kids have cried on past shows, but there are no memes of them. I was just thinking of which kids I would like to see again as guest judges, though it is hard to remember those from way back. The weather boy, was it Justice? Meadow, tiny Madison, I would say Sam but he was on the Holiday show last year. Jaxon, Linsey. Who would anyone here like to see as judge, WITH Valerie and Duff?

Does anyone else think that Avner looks just like a leprechaun, with his curly hair, kind of pointy eyes and ears?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, susannah said:

I didn't like Bella before and still don't. She still comes off as a whiny, pouty, entitled twit.

I didn't see any whining or pouting and was impressed by how much more chill Bella seemed, but I guess we all see things differently.

But I'm legitimately confused about "entitled", especially this go-round. This means that she was acting like she deserved or was owed something without merit. What did she do that made her seem entitled? She was just there baking like the rest of them.

18 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

he called out Bella's cake for not looking like a candle because it wasn't tall enough (which was true), but praised the look of Avner's tree cake, even though it looked nothing like a candle, either.

It's subjective, but there are candles shaped like trees. I haven't seen any that look like a flat layer cake.

• Love 3

I liked Jonah during his season and I thought he deserved to win last night.  I especially liked the clever way he made his stylized flame.

Abby has grown into a very nice, attractive girl who seemed confident and comfortable on camera.  I enjoy seeing the kids years later.  

I'd like to see Justice and Jackson on the show.  They are two of my all-time favorites.

• Love 4

Valerie is great on the regular season and she and Duff are so good with the kids and play off each other so well on that, I hope she's always there. She's especially good when one of the kids starts melting down. But for these mini-shows, which are less stressful (or maybe there's just less at stake, though the prizes are pretty sweet), I love having one of the former contestants co-judge. So far, both kids did well, but Duff is the perfect person to be alongside them to help if they stumble. So, for me, this is the such a wonderful little extra addition to the baking competition shows. Love it!

• Love 7
15 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I have seen some that are shallow but usually they are also oblong or rectangular. 

Tea light candles are flat and circular, though obviously pretty small.

10 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

Not directly KPC competition related, but I was saddened and surprised to hear the news about Valerie and her marriage to Tom.  Wishing her the best…

I think it is related, since Valerie is a host of the show. I hadn't heard until I read this, but somehow I am not surprised. I just had a feeling. I think Eddie was the love of her life, and perhaps upon his illness and death, she decided what is best for her life. I wish her the best too, and hope she is doing okay.

• Love 3

Ah yes, this is why I don't have children. Kids bug me. I think it's the shrieking. Not sure I'll enjoy this youngest cast ever season. I liked when the kids chose a complimentary flavor for their buttercream instead of doubling down on their required flavor. Agreed with the judging. Good to have Duff and Val back.

• Love 6

Well, it seemed like they found the age limit. Did they even have these kids audition in person without "adult assistance"? The 8yo just made a hot mess. Some kids had no concept of a crumb coat and its purpose. Some really chunky, thick frosting out there that just made everything worse.

The peanut butter cake with the crap-colored frosting - girl, dust it with some vivid glitter or sugar to brighten it up, 'cause that was a nice frosting job, good flavor, and clean lines and the color let it down. 

Underdone jelly-bean cake - slapping a fistful of jelly beans on is not decorative. And the rice krispie flowers were terrible. Not cutting it properly was just the cherry on top. It's like a unicorn barfed on the cake board.

Green Tragedy cake - WTF, how did this piece of shit win over Ava-Leigh's? From the beginning and his decision to put coconut in the frosting, through his mangling the cake so bad it was an uneven pile of crumbs with frosting dumped on top to the vigorous sanding for that gritty final note. 

• Love 9

Youngest cast ever may also be the most annoying cast ever. There's only a few kids who don't actively get on my nerves. Finwey in particular bugs.

Also, with a couple of exceptions they just don't seem to have the skills of earlier groups. Maybe they'll prove me wrong, but I doubt it. 

• Love 8

Totally agree with everyone who’s posted about tonight’s first show.  Plus Valerie and Duff have added way too much extra juvenile silliness that annoys.  Valerie needs to stop standing like she has to go to the bathroom all the time (I know why she does, but it’s so noticeable).  Only about 1/3 of these kids have baking skills — the others just feel like stunt casting.  I liked Ava-Leigh so, so much personally — irritated that the little goofy 8 year old boy who’s enamored with his own “cuteness” and threw green sanding sugar all over the top wasn’t eliminated.  But Ava-Leigh’s cake was bad too so I can see the decision — I just really liked her.  This may be a hard season to watch — hope they didn’t ruin it with these mega-young barely-bakers.

• Love 4

My favorite [/sarcasm mode activated] part of this episode was the at-home video of one of the ten-year-olds that loved animals and begged for a dog, then proceeded to drop the dog when her parents told her she was going to be on the show. 

• Love 5
On 11/22/2021 at 4:47 AM, susannah said:

I was just thinking of which kids I would like to see again as guest judges, though it is hard to remember those from way back. The weather boy, was it Justice? Meadow, tiny Madison, I would say Sam but he was on the Holiday show last year. Jaxon, Linsey. Who would anyone here like to see as judge, WITH Valerie and Duff?

I agree on Justice, Meadow and Madison.  Add Peggy to my list.  It would be interesting to see what Davis is up to; his baking was incredible, just imagine what he can do now.  Reaching back a few more years, I’d love to see Hollis again!

• Love 2

Well I am very glad to see that my thoughts on this mess of an episode are shared by others. I am glad to see Duff and Val back but my Lord those were the most godawful cakes I have ever seen. How hard is it to make a one layer cake and decorate it to look like a butterfly? There wasn't one of them that made one that IMO deserved to be on the show. No one knew, as said, about crumb coats or the right consistency for the frosting. I think these kids are just too young. The right year old thought he was too cute, and I could find Caroline annoying really fast. I have heard a rumor that the black kids are often too quickly chopped, and I don't know if that is true, but it was wrong to keep Ben's mess of a cake and chop Eva-Leigh, whose cake was also a mess but not as bad. I think it might be interesting to hear more about Ellora if she stays in. I am pretty sure she has or has had a serious illness. Certain steroids cause those chipmunk cheeks. I also thought I heard Duff say that they were supposed to make three different flowers but none of them did.

I do think it is brave of the blue haired girl to come on national tv with a speech defect. It should not be made fun of.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, susannah said:

I do think it is brave of the blue haired girl to come on national tv with a speech defect. It should not be made fun of.

I agree. There's no need for that.

I do think they've perhaps gone a bit too young this round, but I'm hopeful that most of them will settle in and improve once they get used to the environment and time management. There were some that showed promise, like Summer's winning cake, Finley's strawberry petal flowers, Joseph, Lucia, and some others.

1 hour ago, tracyscott76 said:

I agree. There's no need for that.

I do think they've perhaps gone a bit too young this round, but I'm hopeful that most of them will settle in and improve once they get used to the environment and time management. There were some that showed promise, like Summer's winning cake, Finley's strawberry petal flowers, Joseph, Lucia, and some others.

I'm impressed that you remember so many names after just one show, and not only that, but who did what! I wish I could remember which one it was that showed some of her work at home and it was gorgeous. I hope you are right, that once they settle in, that we will see what they are really capable of!

• Love 3

Regarding Valeries separation, I read her tribute to Eddie when he died and WOW! I would have been hurt if I was her husband.  I know you can still love an ex, but it sounded like she worshipped him and was still deeply in love. I may have been a bit upset if I was Eddies current wife too.

I had the feeling that the 8 year old could come across as a brat who passes adults but we'll see.  Too early to really judge but I have the feeling this group is not as talented as previous ones.  I always think there should be no eliminations on week one.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
30 minutes ago, susannah said:

I'm impressed that you remember so many names after just one show, and not only that, but who did what! I wish I could remember which one it was that showed some of her work at home and it was gorgeous. I hope you are right, that once they settle in, that we will see what they are really capable of!

I'll go ahead and take credit for remembering who did what, but there's no way I'd remember all the names this early without cheating lol. This is my best friend during the first few episodes of all the X Baking Championships:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/kids-baking-championship/photos/kids-baking-champsionship-season-10

Edited by tracyscott76
1 hour ago, MsMalin said:

Regarding Valeries separation, I read her tribute to Eddie when he died and WOW! I would have been hurt if I was her husband.  I know you can still love an ex, but it sounded like she worshipped him and was still deeply in love. I may have been a bit upset if I was Eddies current wife too

I think Eddie was the love of her life, but she was divorced from him and married someone else, who she probably loved as well. Still loving Eddie doesn't mean she didn't love her husband. Also, Eddie was the father of her child so those feelings can get mixed in too. It doesn't necessarily still mean she feels romantic love.

1 hour ago, tracyscott76 said:

I'll go ahead and take credit for remembering who did what, but there's no way I'd remember all the names this early without cheating lol. This is my best friend during the first few episodes of all the X Baking Championships:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/kids-baking-championship/photos/kids-baking-champsionship-season-10

Thank you! I noticed that Summer and Ellora are both from Yorba Linda. I wonder if they have met before getting chosen!

• Love 2

Oh my.  If I close my eyes I can still see some of those cakes!  Horrifying.

I didn't get a good sense of the kids who were competing but it's always like this in the beginning.  Like nearly everyone else commenting I feel this group of kids is too young.  Valerie and Duff are doing their best to turn a blind eye on the horror unfolding before them  but they don't seem to have enough qualified bakers for this.  Some of the praise was ludicrous.  I'm truly hoping there were opening jitters and a lack of time to get comfortable.  

I enjoy this show and am wondering if I'll be able to watch the whole season. 

• Love 9

I cracked up when one of the kids said she didn’t know what a butterfly was.  And I won’t be able to take it if Ben, the obnoxious 8 year old, advances week after week just because they think he’s good for the show.  He’s a show off, loud mouthed thinks he’s all it and a bag of chips, brat. 

Valerie and Duff are brave to eat some of the things these kids baked.  A few of those cakes looked like something a one year does to his/her first birthday cake. 

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • Love 6

Some of these creations made me think "mud pie."  Hoping that things will improve, but if Food Network ever asked for my input, I'd have to say contestants no younger than 12 years old.

• Love 8