Type keyword(s) to search

Kids Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

Oh hooray! It's rare that my favorite wins, so that was a pleasant surprise. I thought the vegetable shortening was going to do Graysen in, but I guess the pluses outweighed that.

...and I'm just going to leave it at that XD

Edited by tracyscott76

I really, really liked all three of these final bakers.  I was hoping for Reggie to win it all, but Graysen is a darling, very talented young lady.  Except for the icing, her cake sounded yummy.  

• Love 4

Happy to see Graysen win.  I think Reggie was a bit of an ass - especially in the finale.  He had every right to grab the 9 inch pans, but I think his comments in his talking head were kinda dickish.

• Love 17

Graysen is a person who really benefits from having a fire lit under their ass, huh? Seems when she has a bad day she bounces back strong. It’s a good trait to have; hope she’s not too hard on herself. I always feel for the kids whenever they say “I expected more from you.” As a fellow perfectionist, it’s the worst. 

The fact that none of the dinosaurs were particularly beautiful should prove that the twist sucked. I didn’t see what was so bad about any of the eggs though.  

Sam is just an overall pleasant, funny kid who makes good tv. I’m glad he won a challenge and got to be in the finale, even if his decorative skills weren’t quite as high. I was laughing when he told Reggie to act more excited. They would make a great buddy comedy. 

Reggie not sharing the rolling pin reminded me of the time in eighth grade a girl asked to use my bottle of paint, and I said no. Except she wasn’t as nice as Graysen, she called me a bitch! Lmao. Ugh I remember why I wouldn’t want to be 13 again, I was a neurotic mess too. I wonder whether being a good sport ever affects the results. I like Reggie, but I think we got to see not-so-cute side of his anxious tendencies this week. 

Is it weird I’m glad Duff doesn’t like shortening buttercream? Because I don’t either and it’s somehow validating.

If it weren’t for the frosting, Graysen’s cake would’ve been the obvious winner. Despite its flaws, I liked it a lot. Didn’t understand the pretzel core though. Reggie probably should’ve just eliminated the chocolate mousse, but when you’re an overachiever it’s hard to “kill your darlings”. Especially so quickly. Sam had potential to pull a dark horse win but that cake needed more pizzazz.

Okay those are my ramblings. Oh and also, the dad jokes are getting annoying. Hope the kid viewers like them, at least. 

• Love 4

Graysen was always my secret favorite, so I'm very happy she won! I was very nervous that she didn't put dowels in her very tall filled cake, but no one seemed to notice that it had some leaning problems, so I guess it worked out.

Sam was okay in small doses, but in the final couple of episodes, he was very annoying.

I wanted to like Reggie, but he did not endear himself to me in the finale. Perhaps I'm used to the more congenial atmosphere, but he seemed to go out of his way to be a dick about things (helping move Sam's cake, the rolling pin for Graysen, the cake pans). I know it's a competition, but it rubbed me the wrong way. 

• Love 14

I think Reggie was rattled by coming in at the bottom for the 3-D dino challenge - so he became a little more cut throat in the final.  I don't blame him - it is a competition and you don't want to lose because you gave away something you might need. And it wasn't his fault that he grabbed the pecans - he didn't wrestle them away from anyone.  

• Love 4
(edited)

I was rooting for Reggie.  We Oregonians have to stick together.

I think from the beginning of the finale (and in the dinosaur episode, too), the editors went out of their way to highlight all of Reggie's negative moments.  They needed a villain to prop against bubbly Sam and super-efficient Grayson.   They talked about giving to charity; he talked about investing in the stock market.  Horrors!  No one made a big deal about Sam nabbing the walnuts, but Reggie was a meanie for taking Grayson's PEE-cans.  Most people in Oregon don't pronounce pecan. PEE-CAN.  We just don't.  

I'm a teacher and have worked with middle schoolers since the beginning of my career.  Some of them are not easy to like.  Some of them have a lot to deal with at home.  Some of them are socially awkward for reasons that they can't control. 

felt sorry that Reggie seemed to be an introverted, focused kid in a kitchen full of cuties who were more camera-friendly.  

Edited by Phebemarie
  • Love 9

I don't think anyone was really all that upset about losing out on the pecans. That was just some back and forth jabber that didn't amount to much. I was sort of amused at seeing the peecan/pe-cahn debate that seems to come up on this board at least once during every edition of X Baking Championship play out on screen - between two kids, no less XD

(edited)
13 hours ago, Kakistos said:

Oh, come on. Let’s just have a four kid finale for once. 

I thought the same thing.

Greyson was my pick all season long so I was thrilled for her win.  I think Reggie let the pressure get to him and someday he will look back and regret the finale episode because he didn't come across very nicely, and I don't think he's not a nice kid.  Sam is just a sweetheart!

Native Texan here and we don't say pee-can.

Edited by RoxiP
  • Love 6
(edited)
22 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

Greyson was my pick all season long so I was thrilled for her win.  I think Reggie let the pressure get to him and someday he will look back and regret the finale episode because he didn't come across very nicely, and I don't think he's not a nice kid.  Sam is just a sweetheart!

Agreed. Not even "someday", I'll bet Reggie cringed a couple of times watching himself now because he's better than that. Honestly, I think the competition ended just in time, because they all seemed a little testier this episode than they had been. Just a little bit shorter in their responses to each other. A lot at stake!

Edited by tracyscott76

I always appreciate when the kids help each other, though I don't expect them to and don't hold it against them if they don't. It's a competition. But taking something you don't need just so someone else can't use it and being rude about it? Not nice. I hadn't been rooting against any of the kids, but I admit, I wouldn't have minded Sam winning over Reggie for that. 

• Love 10
(edited)

I’m willing to assume Reggie got a crap edit. We saw just 40 minutes, but they were baking for five hours, plus judging, filming their interviews, and who knows what else.  That’s a lot of time for anyone, let alone kids in a high pressure baking competition.  Anyone, even adults, would have their moments  of being less than perfect.  

We saw barley saw two minutes of Reggie being a little rude. I doubt Sam and Greyson were perfect happy angels the whole time either.

Edited by Kakistos
  • Love 9

I was totally fine with the cake pan situation, they just made such a big deal out of it.  The rolling pin thing was pretty bad though.  You could just see Reggie's inner monologue "I'm not going to HELP her!".  You can't tell me there wasn't another rolling pin anywhere in that huge kitchen.  (and not more 8" cake pans???)  I guess they purposely limit supplies to encourage these kinds of situations.  

I'm happy for Graysen!

• Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, Phebemarie said:

I think from the beginning of the finale (and in the dinosaur episode, too), the editors went out of their way to highlight all of Reggie's negative moments.  They needed a villain to prop against bubbly Sam and super-efficient Grayson.   They talked about giving to charity; he talked about investigating in the stock market.  Horrors!  No one made a big deal about Sam nabbing the walnuts, but Reggie was a meanie for taking Grayson's PEE-cans.  Most people in Oregon don't pronounce pecan. PEE-CAN.  We just don't.  

I'm a teacher and have worked with middle schoolers since the beginning of my career.  Some of them are not easy to like.  Some of them have a lot to deal with at home.  Some of them are socially awkward for reasons that they can't control. 

felt sorry that Reggie seemed to be an introverted, focused kid in a kitchen full of cuties who were more camera-friendly.  

Totally agree with you, Phebemarie.  It felt so obvious that the edit was negative-Reggie and positive-Greysen with annoying-Sam thrown in there.  I think it seemed like Reggie was conflicted about giving Greysen his rolling pin -- he almost did, then he was cautious about keeping it.  If it were me in a championship, I'd think "there are other rolling pins -- go get your own!"  Reggie was rattled in the finale and the dino-episode -- as was Morgan -- but he ended up with a really nice cake.  I liked Greysen very much but was surprised that the massive amount of yucky shortening icing didn't do her in.  Her cake was beautiful but I wouldn't want to eat that icing.  And Sam verbally throwing Reggie under the bus -- loud enough that the judges heard -- about the 9-inch pans smacked of tattle-tale stuff.  Reggie did nothing wrong there.

I'm from Texas and everyone around me says "puh-kahn" :)

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 9
(edited)
7 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

I was totally fine with the cake pan situation, they just made such a big deal out of it.  The rolling pin thing was pretty bad though.  You could just see Reggie's inner monologue "I'm not going to HELP her!".  You can't tell me there wasn't another rolling pin anywhere in that huge kitchen.  (and not more 8" cake pans???)  I guess they purposely limit supplies to encourage these kinds of situations.  

I'm happy for Graysen!

The rolling pin is the one that got me, too. Not that he had one and wouldn't let Graysen use it (they're under no obligation to share or help), but that he started to give it to her, then changed his mind and said unconvincingly "actually, I might need that". That's the one time that I really winced and said "oh dear". But I think that's reflective of competitive tv shows more than anything to do with Reggie's character. It's observed, learned behavior that many succumb to in the heat of the moment.

Reggie clapped and smiled with the best of them when Graysen won and has certainly had many moments of helping people along the way.

Edited by tracyscott76

I was just thinking about Graysen's choice of frosting, and to be fair, she probably was just trying to deal with time management.  It was an easy frosting to make and she knew it would hold up well with the technique she planned to use.  I remember taking a kids cake decorating class, and that's the kind of frosting we used.  I agree that it tastes awful and coats the mouth, but Graysen obviously didn't really think so since she claimed it "tastes great".  Now compare that to Reggie's "broken" mousse.  He tried to fix it, knew it was bad and still used it.  5 hours seems like an awfully long time, they made it seem like he was dealing with the mousse early on, he should have just dumped it and tried doing something else or did it over.  The one thing they never seem to run out of is ingredients.  Sam must have cracked three dozen eggs trying to separate them.  

• Love 3
(edited)

I would have been happy with any of them winning although, in the end, Sam's cake was the poorest looking of the three which I imagine put him out of the running.  I'd be interested to know what tipped the scales.  Both Graysen and Reggie used special techniques.  I thought Reggie's cake looked the best but apparently Graysen's tasted great.  It must have been a tough decision.  In any event, I liked Graysen from the start so I was happy for her.  

Edited by mlp
fix typo
  • Love 2

I was surprised that Graysen won, but she certainly ended strongly, with both the dino-cookies and the cake. I think largely, though, these were the weakest looking cakes (and cookies!) at the end of any of the season. I was bummed about Morgan going in the penultimate episode, though I can't say she didn't deserve it.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, springbarb said:

I was surprised that Graysen won, but she certainly ended strongly, with both the dino-cookies and the cake. I think largely, though, these were the weakest looking cakes (and cookies!) at the end of any of the season. I was bummed about Morgan going in the penultimate episode, though I can't say she didn't deserve it.

I would love to have a slice of Grayson”s cake, it sounded delicious.!

• Love 2

I was really bugged by the way Sam was trying to separate  his eggs. It looked like he was cracking them like normal and what, just hoping the yolk wouldn't come out? He wasn't doing any of the usual techniques. It was maddening!

• Love 2

I hate to say this about a kid, but Reggie seems like he is headed to a life of being some greedy Wall Street type who doesn’t give a crap about anyone but himself .

Everyone else wanted to help someone with their money and he wanted to invest it ! Nothing wrong with that , but sadly it looks like someone has taught him to be just our for himself . We don’t need more future adults like that ! Hopefully. He will change a bit when he matures . 
I was happy Grayson won, she added talented and nice .  

For some reason Valerie was super annoying to me during this show . She just acted way too goofy and her comments about the cakes don’t add much .  Duff always gives some good advice.

i think Valerie is weird lately . She’s going on Today and crying about her problems and her weight, and talking to some ridiculous “mind coach”!!   
I guess the good part is that she is nice to the kids , but she’s just seems off lately .

• Love 3

I was happy with the final three. Morgan REALLY struggled in the dinasaur challenge. I knew when she didn't chill her cut out dough before putting in the oven that it was going to spread and she wouldn't be able to fit the pieces together. Everything was tough for her, but she plowed through and maintained a positive attitude. Good for her.

I'm still a Reggie fan. I think it was the edit that focused on the snark for the last episode. It could be that I'm sarcarstic, I don't know. But Reggie didn't rub me the wrong way like he did others it seems. Plus, he's the CW - Curd Whisperer!

Sam is so fun to listen to, he's always got a story and a joke. Greyson is a lovely gal. All three are talented.

The stupid twists have got to go. I know Greyson's egg was mushy, but it was super cute. I thought they all judged the eggs too harshly. 

The final 3 cakes were good! Onto the spring baking championship next week...

• Love 10
12 minutes ago, hookedontv said:

The stupid twists have got to go. I know Greyson's egg was mushy, but it was super cute. I thought they all judged the eggs too harshly. 

I thought it was cute, too! Loved the little speckles she put on it, and her explaining that as far as she was concerned, dinosaur eggs had spots.

23 minutes ago, hookedontv said:

Sam is so fun to listen to, he's always got a story and a joke. Greyson is a lovely gal. All three are talented.

Agreed!  I think Sam has a wicked sense of humor and his stories cracked me up.  Greysen was adorable and sweet and I think Reggie is a good kid who probably has a bit of social anxiety that got exacerbated with the competition.  I'm happy Greysen won, but I would've been pleased had any of them taken the top prize.

• Love 6
(edited)

Val was being so dumb about the dinosaur eggs! "Does this REALLY look like a dinosaur egg?!" Sam's all "well, we don't really know, do we!" Tell her, Sam!!! 

And with the nuts! To tell the kids they have to add nuts after they already decide on the flavor profiles for their cakes, and not even give them the choice to include the kind of nut they want is so annoying. It's clearly a major challenge, with the five hour bake time, and then they have to rearrange in the middle of that? Meh. I guess it doesn't matter much since each nut kind of works with most flavors but Graysen was right that pecans would have gone better in her cake than almonds, making the almonds basically gratuitous. 

I really thought they might end up giving it to Sam at the end because they seemed to really like his cake the best overall, taste-wise. But he really wasn't up to par decorating wise. I was super happy for Graysen, as she really did a great job, has a good attitude and could hold her own with the boys while still keeping her polite Southern charm. "Um, no, it's PEE-CAN." I really liked Reggie the entire competition but the stress of the finale and whatever edit they opted to give him didn't really do him any favors even as someone who appreciates him, so I was pleased that Graysen ended up winning. 

Edited by rippleintime17
  • Love 7

I'm just catching up with this season.  I don't like hating on kids, and there were to many annoying ones this year.  

Reggie reminded me of this jerk know it all I went to school with so it took a bunch of my usual enjoyment out of the show.  I know it's not fair to compare to someone with his mannerisms, but based on how he acted the last two episodes I'd guess they weren't given him a bad edit towards the end, but had given him a good edit before that.

I was glad to see Grayson win, and once Anthony was gone I enjoyed most of the episodes.  Like I said I don't like hating on kids, but Anthony seemed more like "look at my I'm cute" rather than "I have a speech impediment".

• Love 3

I am thrilled for Graysen. I was pulling for her or Morgan. I don't care about social anxiety, whatever, Reggie was a jerk. So glad he lost. I was cheering when his mousse broke and his Swiss meringue buttercream got jacked up. I would give Sam an A+ for good sportsmanship throughout the competition. 

• Love 4

Graysen did a "faultline" Easter cake tutorial on YouTube, and she's going to auction it off and donate 75% of the $ to a Wilmington NC food bank.

Edited to add: she started at $36, it jumped to $95 pretty quickly, then someone bid $900 😮 She said she'd probably give more than 75% to the food bank since it went way above what she was expecting.

She was exactly how she was on the show. Smiley and happy in a calm, sort of breathless way.

Edited by tracyscott76
To give the results of the auction

Aaaand apparently the $900 bidder was either full of $#!t or changed their mind, because they pulled out and Graysen is trying to get hold of someone who bid $100. A shame, because that bidder kept talking about how they were so happy to help out the community so it seemed legit. Should have known it was too good to be true.

Graysen did the live auction again, and asked for bidders to DM phone numbers in advance so they could verify. This time she got up to $125, which was higher than the highest legit bid she got the first time...so it looks like it worked out. *fingers crossed*

She's very poised for 14. Glad she rallied and tried again.

Edited by tracyscott76

Just watched the finale tonight. Glad Graysen won, seems like she deserved it 😀. But, in every season (especially this one) it's a shame that the audience is missing out on how the cakes taste, since taste seems to be the deciding factor in many episodes. Wonder if there are any ways to lessen this problem (maybe have Duff and Val elaborate on the taste more than the appearance)?

One thing that will likely have to change as a result of the pandemic and that I will not miss is that even if they can figure out how to get back into production with this and similar shows, they will have to eliminate the beginning where they make everyone race to the front and elbow each other out of the way to get to ingredients. 

• Love 2
On 5/30/2020 at 9:44 PM, jcbrown said:

One thing that will likely have to change as a result of the pandemic and that I will not miss is that even if they can figure out how to get back into production with this and similar shows, they will have to eliminate the beginning where they make everyone race to the front and elbow each other out of the way to get to ingredients. 

Probably one of the few good things to come out of all of this!

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
On 8/1/2020 at 3:27 PM, HyeChaps said:

"Food Network is also experimenting with shooting some of its upcoming holiday food programming outdoors rather than on sets, as has been done in the past. The shows “Halloween Baking Championship,” “Holiday Baking Championship,” “Kids Baking Championship” and “Spring Baking Championship” have recently begun filming at a resort in California — one after the other, over the course of the next few months. After the cast and crew test negative, they quarantine at the resort. As with “Restaurant: Impossible” and “Diners,” these shows will look different — reflecting the altered world in small ways."

• Useful 4
  • Love 3

There was supposed to be a holiday edition of Kids Baking Championship with "five fan favorites" on tonight at 9:00pm, but they're showing an episode of The Kitchen instead. Bummer.

41 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

There was supposed to be a holiday edition of Kids Baking Championship with "five fan favorites" on tonight at 9:00pm, but they're showing an episode of The Kitchen instead. Bummer.

What the heck happened?  I was looking forward to KBC.  The Food Network website said it’s showing right now!  Um, no, it isn’t.

Edited by MerBearHou
1 hour ago, MerBearHou said:

The Food Network website said it’s showing right now!  Um, no, it isn’t.

My DVR said it was recording KBC too.  But it wasn't.  I know I've seen the KBC show, probably twice, but I would have watched it again rather than The Kitchen.  Which I turned off.

8 minutes ago, mlp said:

My DVR said it was recording KBC too.  But it wasn't.  I know I've seen the KBC show, probably twice, but I would have watched it again rather than The Kitchen.  Which I turned off.

Ditto - I am a fan of The Kitchen, but was so not in the mood for it.  Turned it off.  Disappointed about KBC.