Type keyword(s) to search

Kids Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

It was like she melted own when she had to make something she wasn't familiar with. I might have too given what the good batters looked like and her's looked like some kind of bread dough the first time around. I buy rainbow cookies at the local Italian deli, I've never even considered making them, and the batter looked so not what I was expecting as the kids were trying to spread it into the pans. 

Hate to say this about a kid, but I didn't particularly miss Avner this week. He was smug or something. Naima pretty much reminds me of my friends in sixth grade; trying to be sassy like a teenager but still cute to adults. Reggie totally cracks me up. Dry beyond his years. Liam I seem to think is hamming it up for the cameras. The more I listen to Sam, the more I suspect he has had speech therapy, and what we hear may be progress for him. But I don't mind it, he's been a good kid thus far. Morgan and Graysen are the type of girls I would have liked to have been friends with in middle school lol.

I really wish this show would offer some kind of award to the challenge winners. Immunity might be a little too much every week, but maybe occasionally or if the contestant really earned it. I think being the first to pick their flavor is a great idea. 

• Love 3

That was such a bad twist! Sometimes they make sense like making ice cream last week or to go with pie, or a side for your dessert imposter, but this one was just dumb. And Val pouting saying she doesn’t want to eat raw pizza dough -  well, how about you don’t  make them make pizza in an Italian rainbow cookie challenge. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

I have a friend who is in his 20s that sounds like Sam. It happens. Sam seems well-adjusted and confident, just like my friend, so hopefully he continues on that path. 

Rainbow cookies are pretty challenging of an ask for someone who is completely unfamiliar and has never even had one. Granted, it's further in the competition, but I sympathized with Naima a bit. She was a little whinier than she should have been, but she was frustrated and bummed and she's a kid. It probably stinks to know you're going to go home because you really have no idea what any component of your dish is supposed to be like. 

I actually felt my eyes tighten when I saw Morgan's! They were so beautiful, and she was so thoughtful to add the powdered sugar and apricot garnish on top! 

I loved when Valeries was inspecting Reggie's and was like "hmm, your red looks a little off!" and Reggie was like "it's strawberries, dude." 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

It bothered me that Naima said I’m the shortest, youngest, weakest when she was being kind of whiney about not knowing about Italian rainbow cookies.  She was my least favorite due to the playing to the camera vibe.  Her bakes looked inedible and I was surprised when she just squeezed bbq sauce from the bottle as a topping.  No wonder Duff called that out.

Morgan’s were so pretty, so appealing.  She would have won if her pizza side dish was fully cooked.  

I was happy for Reggie’s win though.  Loved him telling the camera operator that he “ain’t tossing the dough”.  Funny kid.  Insight into Reggie when he said that he doesn’t jump around and show much happiness on the outside but he feels it on the inside.

Liam is just a sunny kind of guy.  I thought he showed such poise when he was describing his work because you know he wanted to just cringe.  Yes, he’s a little goofy but seems like such a dear.

Sam’s Italian lessons cracked me up.  

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, MerBearHou said:

It bothered me that Naima said I’m the shortest, youngest, weakest when she was being kind of whiney about not knowing about Italian rainbow cookies.  She was my least favorite due to the playing to the camera vibe.  Her bakes looked inedible and I was surprised when she just squeezed bbq sauce from the bottle as a topping.  No wonder Duff called that out.

That actually kind of bugged me. I think she was the only one not to use a tomato sauce and I didn't see any of the kids doctor their sauce up. The only complaint about the tomato sauce was there were a couple of kids who were told they needed more. They were all scrambling to finish their cookies and the pizza rolls as it was and then Duff expected her to rework the sauce they were given too? That's just too much for kids their age. 

• Love 4

Reggie & Sam continue to be my favs in terms of sense of humor. Completely different ones - as most have mentioned, Reggie is a dry sense of humor, can deliver a one liner so seriously, while Sam has more of a goofball humor. Both are really good bakers, and at this point, so are Morgan (beautiful cakes!) and Greyson.

I continue to despise the twists and think they are unecessary and just take away from the main idea. 

Duff and Valerie were being kind to Naima -- those cakes were BUSTED. They were so sloppy, I don't think I would have wanted to touch them. I must not be an adventurous eater - the thought of BBQ sauce (doctored or not) on some sort of pizza bite made me want to gag. 

I really am enjoying this season!

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Jessa said:

And Val pouting saying she doesn’t want to eat raw pizza dough - 

Or keeping on about the tiny spot of chocolate on her pizza roll?  Come on.  Duff trading plates with her was great, she needed to shut up.  She's beginning to grate on my nerves this season.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, trudysmom said:

Or keeping on about the tiny spot of chocolate on her pizza roll?  Come on.  Duff trading plates with her was great, she needed to shut up.  She's beginning to grate on my nerves this season.

She's been grating on mine for years. I am so over her. She, in my opinion, has always acted like she is judging celebrated pastry chefs, instead of kids. She has a way bigger opinion of herself than anyone else has. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, trudysmom said:

She's beginning to grate on my nerves this season.

Usually she doesn't bother me, but did you catch her big self-promotion statement that she's planning "to develop a recipe for lemon Italian cookies" after tasting and being impressed with one of the kid's creations?   I know she has(had) a cooking show, etc. But it just stood out like "Look at ME, I'm a celebrity chef!!!"

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

Usually she doesn't bother me, but did you catch her big self-promotion statement that she's planning "to develop a recipe for lemon Italian cookies" after tasting and being impressed with one of the kid's creations?   I know she has(had) a cooking show, etc. But it just stood out like "Look at ME, I'm a celebrity chef!!!"

Judges on these shows say things like that all the time, some variation of "I'm going to use this!" To me, it's meant as more of a compliment to the contestant who made it than self-promotion.

46 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

Judges on these shows say things like that all the time, some variation of "I'm going to use this!" To me, it's meant as more of a compliment to the contestant who made it than self-promotion.

Yes, Duff had said similar things and it definitely was more of a compliment to the contestant, but Valerie's just seemed more of a self promotion, she could have just said - "I'm going to make this at home sometime".  Anyway that's the way I felt.

On 2/18/2020 at 2:17 PM, springbarb said:
On 2/18/2020 at 1:14 PM, Fostersmom said:

I know Naima has annoyed others, but until she lost, I didn't have an issue with her. But her sore loser act was ugly. She had a tough week, I get it, but be a gracious loser. 

I didn't think she came off as a sore loser at all. YMMV.

I don't think she came off as a sore loser either. I think she was trying not to cry. She's just a kid... and was trying to keep her head up. Also IMO, there's nothing wrong with saying "You'll see me again"... It's something she's probably heard losing contestants say on other competitive shows.  A lot of kids imitate these tropes: "I have to take it to the next level", "I came her to win" etc. 

It's okay to have self confidence., especially in a youngster. She'll need it for the other real life challenges she comes up against down the road.  She wears her confidence differently than some of the other kids... and in my book that's okay. Every kid doesn't have to fit into someone else's idea of humility. 

• Love 8
43 minutes ago, blueray said:

I turned on this episode in the middle. So I missed why did they have to make pizza rolls? That has nothing to do with rainbow cookies at all.

Val and Duff wanted something savory to go with the sweet cookies.  Since the cookies were Italian, they asked for pizza.

• Love 1
On 2/18/2020 at 10:49 PM, Fostersmom said:

and then Duff expected her to rework the sauce they were given too? That's just too much for kids their age. 

I wonder if Duff meant that it was a mistake to pour the sauce over the finished pizza roll after she fried it?  I don't know how it would have turned out if it was incorporated before they were fried, just speculating here.  I give Naima props for trying something different, she was never afraid to go in another direction. 

I think Reggie is talented enough to win, but I wonder if he plays it a bit too safe at times.  But hey, you gotta be you, right?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, trudysmom said:

I wonder if Duff meant that it was a mistake to pour the sauce over the finished pizza roll after she fried it?

I think he felt that her use of it was more like an afterthought.  She could have put a dab of it inside the roll or if she had more time, created a BBQ dipping sauce or something.  

• Love 3

Argh at these tearful exit interviews. This was particularly jarring because Liam was typically so sunny, even as everything was going wrong during the bake.

Graysen had me worried, but I guess bitter cocoa granola was worse than half a trifle that still tasted good. She needs to step it up, though!

I was a little mystified at the judges' critiques of the layers. Some were judged to be perfect and even, while others were called sloppy...and yet they all looked kind of sloppy to me except Reggie's. Maybe in person it looked different.

Kids still bringing the humor, though! Between Reggie's continued deadpan disgust at things (adding tropical humidity and fame to the list), Sam's description of his decoration as "strawberries...raspberries...........fruit", and Graysen saying that her first trifle had started life as a cake that collapsed, I was highly amused XD

Sad to see Liam go — my goodness, he truly might be the sweetest boy I’ve ever seen at his age.  Would love to see him again in a few years.  He’s a lovely soul.  

Graysen barely escaped.  Her 1/2 trifle was NOT impressive.

Sam’s varying levels of horrible are the key to winning — so funny, so true!  And trying to get the others to laugh without smiling — he’s a character and I really like him.

Morgan’s was middle-of-the-road for me but I’m so glad she made it through to the final 4.

The little Reggie-Naima montage was fun to see — behind the scenes of what’s cut on the editing floor.

Reggie’s trifle was gorgeous, especially the top layer with the mango flower.  Just wow.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 7

I wonder about Reggie's background.  I think he's just a kid who hasn't gotten out of his everyday surroundings very often so he reacts by not liking stuff he hasn't experienced yet...but it comes out unintentionally funny.  

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Kakistos said:

I’d like to see a whole episode of the Reggie and Naima show. 

Was this the first time there was such extended footage of a previous contestant?  Perhaps it was to promote Reggie?  I wasn't sure, but it was a nice feature. 

• Love 2

I'd love to know more about Reggie's family life, etc.  It's almost as if he's had culinary training.  Granted, kids can become near experts in anything if they are extremely interested.  He could compete with adults no problem.

Graysen is a cute, nice little girl, but she hasn't impressed me much at all.  She knows how to bake, but I am yet to be wowed by anything she does.

I thought for sure Morgan would be in the top two after how much Val & Duff raved about how great hers tasted.  I thought Sam's was sloppier than hers.

I can see why Liam got sent home.  I had a feeling it would be the case when he added so much cocoa to the granola.  

Next week should be interesting.  3D Dinosaur cookies seems like another Food Network contrived special.  

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Kakistos said:

I’d like to see a whole episode of the Reggie and Naima show. 

The clips they showed were great! And I am not even a fan of Naima, she tended to bug me. BUT she brought out such a fun side of Reggie, it was terrific to see him loosen up and laugh. They were good friends and had fun together. Really nice to see those "outtakes." 

Reggie has been/is my favorite, is a great baker, and is intense and funny at the same time, I love Sam as well, is a solid baker, and (he's always got a story and is very funny. I am surprised that Morgan wasn't one of the top 2 in the trifle challenge though. 

Greyson is very likable, and I think she has done some beautiful decorating. The painting on her trifle bowl was very good but barely legible since the trifle itself was so short and messy. She talks about how she likes to decorate (nice monogram in her bedroom!) I think she should go into interior design. She's good at making things look pretty. 

• Love 5

A few weeks back there were kids that I didn't mind seeing leaving the show.  But now we're at the point that I don't want anyone to leave.  The next week, when go from four to three, is always the most difficult one to watch.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, BigBingerBro said:

I'd love to know more about Reggie's family life, etc.  It's almost as if he's had culinary training.  Granted, kids can become near experts in anything if they are extremely interested.  He could compete with adults no problem.

Last night I was curious too so I googled Reggie from Bend, Oregon - Kids Baking Championship.  Three or four fun articles came up about him with info on his baking background, his parents' encouragement, interviews with him, his other hobbies, etc.  He comes across as a really great kid (I get the feeling he's an only child, from the articles) and has had some nice baking mentors through his grandmother and a baking class instructor who saw something special in him.  

• Love 4

I had no idea Morgan was so tall!  She is the same age as the majority of the other kids, but when they were all standing together, she towered above the rest.  

Sam and Reggie are real characters -- so fun to see in kids this age.  

• Love 2

As much as I have liked Graysen all along, I thought she should have been the one sent home based on the poor trifle she made.  I have a hard time accepting that Liam's bitter granola was worse than her entire dish.  In fact, it seems like it might have worked well with all the chocolate.  As soon as Duff (or Valerie - can't remember) said to choose based on which dish you want to eat again, I knew Liam was going.  That comment seems to be code on FN for "pick whichever contestant you want to stay."

I've been pulling for Sam and Graysen since the beginning but I suddenly realized during this episode that, if I had to choose a kid to hang with for a day, it would be Reggie hands down.  That boy is mature beyond his years.  He already knows who he is and is comfortable with himself.  And I like his sense of humor.  Now I'm hoping he wins although I'm going to hate seeing each of the remaining kids lose.

• Love 7

I also think the fact that Grayson has consistently been either in the top or safe as opposed to Liam who has not helped Grayson stay - and I think Sam's granola was a big factor in him being in the top 2.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Mrs. Stanwyck said:

When my husband asked what a trifle was I immediately thought of Rachel's version.  😀

Rachel: (looking at her trifle) Look at it, isn't it beautiful?

Ross: Yeah, yeah, what is it?

Rachel: It's a trifle. It's got all of these layers. First there's a layer of ladyfingers, then a layer of jam, then custard, which I made from scratch, then raspberries, more ladyfingers, then beef sauteed with peas and onions, then a little more custard, and then bananas, and then I just put some whipped cream on top!

• LOL 4
On 1/21/2020 at 1:02 PM, BigBingerBro said:

The "imposter" shows are my least favorite.

Thank you! Another person who dislikes the imposter challenges! Many of the kids, and a lot of fans, rave about the imposter challenge as their favorite every year. They give (many of) these poor kids something they've never seen before and tell them to make a dessert look like it. It's stupid. Let the kids make imposters of kid-friendly dishes, not banh-mi, lobster rolls, or poke bowls. Better yet, skip the imposter challenge next year.

On 2/26/2020 at 12:48 AM, mlp said:

As much as I have liked Graysen all along, I thought she should have been the one sent home based on the poor trifle she made. 

I agree. I think Graysen's was doomed from the start.  Her concept of trifle was never going to be good.  She was worried about the sponge becoming too soggy so she baked thin layers, but they weren't good.  Her execution was off from the start and to not fill the trifle bowl when she could see that all the other bakers did, was a misjudgement, but one she probably won't make again!

• Love 3
6 hours ago, trudysmom said:

I agree. I think Graysen's was doomed from the start.  Her concept of trifle was never going to be good.  She was worried about the sponge becoming too soggy so she baked thin layers, but they weren't good.  Her execution was off from the start and to not fill the trifle bowl when she could see that all the other bakers did, was a misjudgement, but one she probably won't make again!

Actually, isn't the whole point that the cake absorbs the juices/custard and gets soggy?  The whole thing should spoon out like a pudding.

• Love 5

My cable guide (which often lies) claims that this Monday has two new episodes, and not an expanded rerun either.    The first one with dino-cookies is the usual time (8 p.m. Central), and the final three bake at 9 p.m. Central.    

• Love 2
On ‎2‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 9:35 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

My cable guide (which often lies) claims that this Monday has two new episodes, and not an expanded rerun either.    The first one with dino-cookies is the usual time (8 p.m. Central), and the final three bake at 9 p.m. Central.    

Thanks.  I hope my dvr is more observant than I am and will record this.

On 2/29/2020 at 8:52 PM, Girl in a Cardigan said:

Mine has the same thing as well as a marathon of the whole season starting at 1pm Pacific, so that sounds pretty finale-like to me.

Yep, two episodes are on tonight, to make way for Spring Baking Championship to begin airing in this time slot next week.

This episode proves that the stupid twists ruin the show.  Time spent making hideous eggs took away time from decorating the cookies.  These kids are all pretty talented, but most of the cookies looked sooo sloppy. They didn’t have time to ice the cookies properly...everyone’s cookies were naked on one side.  3D cookies would have looked better if they gave them more time to flood and dry the icing on both sides. If this were the first time I was seeing the four of them bake, I would assume they pulled random kids with no experience off the street.

Poor Morgan...if anyone missed what the theme was, I don’t think too many people would guess “dinosaur” if presented with Morgan’s plate.

Grayson did the best looking cookie.

• Love 7