Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
saoirse

Kids Baking Championship

1 hour ago, snarkylady said:

He also lost points with me for repeating chocolate cake so many times.

As mentioned above, this was a problem with the challenges this season -- he made chocolate cake four times because there were five cake challenges. This might not have been such a glaring issue if we'd had a couple of cookie challenges thrown in for variety. They kept saying this was the best bunch they've had, but really, how would they know?

Glad Trevin won, as he was my favorite, but also would have been fine with Sophie (who was Mrs. Dewelar's favorite). I appreciated the thought Trevin put into his planet -- it really did look like the pictures of Jupiter we got back from our spacecraft.

I do wonder how much of Tarek's awkwardness comes from his family's lifestyle -- he seems to have lived in a lot of different places, so presumably they move around often which could have led to a lack of socialization for him. Although he annoyed me, I could empathize -- or I could just be projecting :) .

• Like 6

Aww, I was pulling for Sophie. She really straddled the line between precious and too precious very well. She seems quite kind and seems to have mastered quite a few baking techniques.

Neither of the boys really did anything for me.

I'm with you all about the challenges - I noted in another post that there were no macarons, eclairs, regular doughnuts, etc. that they've done in past seasons. Too many cakes.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, snarkylady said:

My other observation is that Sophie....a truly lovely and kind young lady...was planning to give some of her winnings to a teacher (teacher's family?).  And Tarek?  Going to buy something for himself.   Not saying that the winning shouldn't indulge in something special but Tarek's response came off as so self-centered. 

I'm at the point in these competitions that I get annoyed with contestants always going on about what charity, etc., they're going to give money to. I'd hope that people would want to help others if they win, but I'm not taking off any points for someone wanting to keep the money for themselves.

I was rooting for Sophie over Trevin; her alien seemed a bit more creative than his planet, but he definitely executed the bake better than she did. He was consistently good, so I can't be upset, and I certainly don't dislike the kid. I think I'm just slightly weirded out by a 13-year-old having his own baking business.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, springbarb said:

I'm at the point in these competitions that I get annoyed with contestants always going on about what charity, etc., they're going to give money to. I'd hope that people would want to help others if they win, but I'm not taking off any points for someone wanting to keep the money for themselves.

I was rooting for Sophie over Trevin; her alien seemed a bit more creative than his planet, but he definitely executed the bake better than she did. He was consistently good, so I can't be upset, and I certainly don't dislike the kid. I think I'm just slightly weirded out by a 13-year-old having his own baking business.

Abby Martin from last year was 13 & had her own biz. She's from here(WI) & I laughed. Mainly because up until a little over a year ago, that was illegal. One because you have to have certification & you have to be 18. And you couldn't do it out of your home. 18 is still the age requirement, so I don't know how they do it. But they enacted the Cottage Food Law here, so that part I can understand. Don't know how much they actually since they do go to school.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, HyeChaps said:

To me, cake pops are not appetizing at all, with the kids plunging bare hands into the cake crumbs and buttercream. 

This. Exactly this. They are not appetizing in concept and even less so with kid-hands involved.

• Like 2

Yeah, I really admire Duff and Val taking the plunge with their huge bites. Raw cake and cookie dough, grainy icing, weird flavor combos, plus you know those kids don't have the best food safety habits!

• Like 6

On 9/17/2019 at 7:52 PM, ExplainItAgain said:

Aww, I was pulling for Sophie. She really straddled the line between precious and too precious very well. She seems quite kind and seems to have mastered quite a few baking techniques.

Neither of the boys really did anything for me.

I'm with you all about the challenges - I noted in another post that there were no macarons, eclairs, regular doughnuts, etc. that they've done in past seasons. Too many cakes.

I figure that's why Sophie did her "alien" the way she did -- she had probably practiced so many techniques they never used on the show!

• Like 1

Happy for Trevin. He had me chuckling throughout the competition and seemed like a lovable goofball with some skills. 

I'm wondering if the Duff/Valerie bits where they stand in the front and do jokes and comment on the bakers ("Uh oh, Taylor put too much butter in her crust!" etc.)  are taped after the bake. It just seemed staged to look like they are standing there observing the whole bake, but clearly they are not. 

• Like 1

Based on his past messiness, I don’t think  poor Tarek had a good chance of winning unless both of the others screwed up. And then once he went with another chocolate cake and no other more challenging techniques except basic fondant, he was definitely done. 

I wonder why Sophie only used one cupcake each for the antenna. It looked like she was planning on stacking a few in her drawing. It was a cute cake, but better antenna and maybe some shaping of the cake might have won it for her.  No idea how difficult that would be with the time given. 

Glad Tevin won. I enjoyed his deadpan humor and the way he laughed at his little flubs during his interview portions. And how calm he stayed when things went wrong. That little alien he made was adorable. 

• Like 2

On 9/20/2019 at 3:12 PM, TVbitch said:

Happy for Trevin. He had me chuckling throughout the competition and seemed like a lovable goofball with some skills. 

I'm wondering if the Duff/Valerie bits where they stand in the front and do jokes and comment on the bakers ("Uh oh, Taylor put too much butter in her crust!" etc.)  are taped after the bake. It just seemed staged to look like they are standing there observing the whole bake, but clearly they are not. 

I think I remember in past seasons where the kids reacted to their jokes, so I would assume they do them while they are baking. But I do wonder if sometimes they film some of the comments they make observing what the kids are doing (eg. "look, she's using too much butter!" or "ooo, look at how he is straining his strawberries"). I can't imagine they are standing there for the full 2hrs of baking.

Did anyone watch the Halloween episode?  It was fun to see some of the kids again.   But there wasn’t much suspense on who would win once you saw the results. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Kakistos said:

Did anyone watch the Halloween episode?  It was fun to see some of the kids again.   But there wasn’t much suspense on who would win once you saw the results. 

Caught it by accident last night. So fun to see most of those kids again. Glad Madison wasn't upset about the sugar debacle.

• Like 6

Yes, was very fun to see those kids. My gosh, Bryn seems so mature now! Not that she was immature on her original KBC appearance, but she definitely seemed more like a high schooler now (even though she is still only 13). And she is almost as tall as Valerie!

• Like 3

I enjoyed the show also, in fact, I wish there were a couple episodes. Still hated the twist but I guess we are stuck with it.

1 hour ago, Kakistos said:

But there wasn’t much suspense on who would win once you saw the results. 

Well, at first one would think there were two good cakes, just looking at them but then they tasted Madison's cake....oops! Her cake was the winner in looks for me tho'!

And I loved that Duff and Val were in costume. Valarie's was OK, but Duff's was awesome! I'm not sure how he managed to eat the cakes without getting icing all over himself but he was a great lion!!!!

Fun show!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NJKBCFan said:

Yes, was very fun to see those kids. My gosh, Bryn seems so mature now! Not that she was immature on her original KBC appearance, but she definitely seemed more like a high schooler now (even though she is still only 13). And she is almost as tall as Valerie!

I was very impressed with her. 

• Like 2

I was surprised when Madison forgot sugar.  Prior to that I thought she was a clear winner as her cake looked so pretty. That being said after it became clear she completely forgot sugar, Karthik clearly won. I was glad to see the kids back, though I didn't watch the other two seasons so I only knew the kids from season 6.

22 hours ago, suebee12 said:

I enjoyed the show also, in fact, I wish there were a couple episodes.

Me too. It would have been good to bring a few more kids back.

Edited by blueray

I liked Karthik on his season so I was happy that he won this time.  Bryn's cheesecake and spiderweb looked very nice but the colors weren't very Halloween-y.  I think what hurt her also is that the judges are always very "letter of the law" and the instructions were clear that the spider was supposed to be ON the web.  I totally understood why she put her spiders on the side but I think doing that plus the colors cost her the win.  

I enjoyed the re-run from a previous season with cute little Peggy too.  She was on Chopped Junior a couple years later and then on another show, GGG I think, a couple years after that with kids from the baking show and Rachael vs. Guy.  By then the kids were young teenagers.  I get a kick out of seeing the kids growing up (as long as one of them isn't Hunter).

• Like 1

Madison was the star of the Halloween episode. 

Naming the spiders Bob and Francine and then hoping that she remembered their names. By the end of the episode they were Bob and Francesca. And her "the cake is so baaaad!" and "oh, maybe I forgot that too." Way to keep your head up, kid. 

• Like 4
  • Laugh 3

Am I the only one bothered by a 11-12 year old girl with fake fingernails? So very unsanitary for one thing. Geeze, let kids be kids, they grow up soon enough.

I've had cake pops once, at a wedding reception. They were horrible...undercooked cake mashed with frosting, formed on a stick, then dipped in white chocolate. Just awful.

I love cake, frosting, and white chocolate. But not like that.

• Like 2

On 11/3/2019 at 11:07 AM, Deskisamess said:

Am I the only one bothered by a 11-12 year old girl with fake fingernails? So very unsanitary for one thing. Geeze, let kids be kids, they grow up soon enough.

I've had cake pops once, at a wedding reception. They were horrible...undercooked cake mashed with frosting, formed on a stick, then dipped in white chocolate. Just awful.

I love cake, frosting, and white chocolate. But not like that.

I have never ever tasted a cake pop that was decent.  I can't understand for the life of me why people eat them.

• Like 2

I'm so disappointed because they are not showing this on Food Network on my satellite provider and I do not get the channel it is on...what is even more annoying is that it records but then I get an hour of blue screen telling me I do not subscribe to the channel!

Looks like there is a Holiday episode airing this Sunday! No mention of which kids are on it:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/kids-baking-championship/episodes/north-pole-edition

The young bakers must think on their feet as Valerie Bertinelli and Duff Goldman challenge them to fill a mini fireplace mantel with "santastic" sweets. Special guest Casey Webb helps choose the winner of the baker's dream prize package of top-of-the-line baking equipment worth over $10,000.

Anyone else watch the North Pole episode? The kids were awesome! So fun! They all grew up so much, and all of their best personality traits have grown as well. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, NJKBCFan said:

Anyone else watch the North Pole episode? The kids were awesome! So fun! They all grew up so much, and all of their best personality traits have grown as well. 

Darn, I missed it!  Those kids were delightful in their seasons so I'll try to find it.  Glad to hear it was fun.

• Like 1

We were watching and

Spoiler

as Nyah was pouring the cornstarch on, my boyfriend was like, "Did she just pour on cornstarch?" I also saw it but they didn't make a big thing of it then, so we were questioning ourselves. Interesting that it didn't overly affect the taste of the eclair!

• Like 2

On 12/9/2019 at 12:07 PM, springbarb said:

Perhaps an unpopular opinion here, but I was disappointed to see Nylah back. She bugged me in her season. Not sure how I can describe it except to say she’s got a pouty, exaggerated way of speaking (someone seasons back described it as sounding like Shirley Temple-yes, I’m old). Unfortunately Nylah is still irritating to me. I haven’t finished watching yet...

Edited by hookedontv · Reason: Trying to remove quote box and cannot!
  • Like 2

On 12/12/2019 at 6:33 PM, hookedontv said:

Perhaps an unpopular opinion here, but I was disappointed to see Nylah back. She bugged me in her season. Not sure how I can describe it except to say she’s got a pouty, exaggerated way of speaking (someone seasons back described it as sounding like Shirley Temple-yes, I’m old). Unfortunately Nylah is still irritating to me. I haven’t finished watching yet...

I like Nyah! But you will enjoy the ending of this episode 🙂

• Like 1

On 12/14/2019 at 7:41 PM, HyeChaps said:

Why invite a winner back?  I love Lindsey, but give another finalist a chance.

Maybe the others were unavailable? Fwiw, the Halloween special described them as "4 fan favorites", and I assume that was true for this one too.

Can't wait for the new season in January!

• Like 2

I just caught a Kids Baking Championship with On Demand though my cable provider and it was the first show of a season.  But I'm not sure which season.  They did "Shag cakes" - is this a new one or some old season?

On 12/23/2019 at 1:15 PM, BigBingerBro said:

I just caught a Kids Baking Championship with On Demand though my cable provider and it was the first show of a season.  But I'm not sure which season.  They did "Shag cakes" - is this a new one or some old season?

New season starting January 6!

https://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/kids-baking-championship/episodes/beyond-the-fringe

Just saw the premier and I think this is not the most appealing group of kids.  Unlike other season premiers, there was no one that stood out, personality wise.  I'll watch it, of course, but you start wondering if they're beginning to run out of kids who want to be on this show.

• Like 2

So are "shag cakes" really a thing or is this just another FN invention?  What is it with always doing "retro" crap and making jokes at the kid's expense because they're too young to understand?  It's getting old.

I have to agree that this ensemble of kids is probably the most dull, but it's early days so that could change.  The only one that seems like a ham is Saleem.  I was SMH when we've already started with waterworks from Reggie.

• Like 4

They re-ran last season just before this premiere and the winner, Trevin says at one point in the finale "I've wanted to be on this show since I was 9 years old.  Lol, if that didn't make me feel old, the retro 70's theme of the new season did.  Sadly, I fell asleep during judging and don't know who won or got sent home. 

• Like 1

I caught several of the previous season's shows too as I had missed them originally.  It seemed like they liked Trevin so kept him on despite some pretty bad bakes.  I was rooting for the curly pig-tail girl with glasses to win because she was planning on donated some of her winnings to her deceased teacher's family.  I was quite touched by that.

• Like 3

I think it is too early to judge this group of kids because there are just SO MANY of them!  I did want to know if only little boys with speech impediments applied because there are at least two of them.  SPOILER ALERT:  I was sorry Phoebe was eliminated because despite the problems with her cake she at least made an attempt to get it decorated.  So far I like the little girl with the sunny smile who has diabetes, I like the boy who won, not sure I like the girl who already has her own baking business and a huge set of braces (not speaking against braces, that's just my only way of identifying her at this stage...LOL!).

I thought the shag cake idea was cute, but some of the ones they judged early were showing cake and they didn't mention it but they mentioned it several times towards the end of the judging.  I did like that Duff demonstrated the technique for them before they had to make the cakes.

Are there more contestants this year than usual or does it just seem that way?

Edited by RoxiP
  • Like 6

I also noticed the uptick in speech impediments.  Anthony and Sam both seemed to struggle with certain words.  Maybe it's the new "cutesy" thing they look for in contestants?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

I also noticed the uptick in speech impediments.  Anthony and Sam both seemed to struggle with certain words.  Maybe it's the new "cutesy" thing they look for in contestants?

I didn't find it cute at all.  I had a speech impediment when I was young and it is a process to get rid of it...if the producers (or the parents) are calling it cute then they are doing these children a disservice.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, RoxiP said:

SPOILER ALERT:  I was sorry Phoebe was eliminated because despite the problems with her cake she at least made an attempt to get it decorated. 

Poor Phoebe! At one point she made a comment about the 70's and Duff pointed at her and she took a deep breath and pressed her hand to her heart like she couldn't believe it. 

The only kids that stood out to me were Phoebe and the other girl that was in the bottom two for very seriously saying "I don't know how anyone went out of the house looking like that," when talking about 70's fashion. 

• Like 3

I love how supportive Duff, and Valerie are to the kids, and how some of the kids help each other.      I wish they had given the kids another hour, to let the cakes cool properly.   

I think the young man that had the cake layer slide off, needed to flatten the top of the layer with a knife, but I also think extra time to cool would have been better for everyone.    

I like the entire series of Baking contests on Food Network, because almost all of the contestants support each other.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 6

Not to mention that these kids are close to being teens - they should have worked these speech impediments out by this time or else junior high is going to be miserable for these kids!

• Like 2

Just coming to post that Mrs. Dewelar pretty much made the exact same comment about not none of these kids standing out to her. The only thing she remembered was that one of them (Sam, I think) sounded like Homestar Runner (which I felt slightly bad for laughing at).

2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I love how supportive Duff, and Valerie are to the kids, and how some of the kids help each other.      I wish they had given the kids another hour, to let the cakes cool properly.    I think the young man that had the cake layer slide off, needed to flatten the top of the layer with a knife, but I also think extra time to cool would have been better for everyone.    

I like the entire series of Baking contests on Food Network, because almost all of the contestants support each other.  

That boy whose cake layer slid off had (IMO) way too much filling between the layers - it looked to be about 1".  I'm not surprised the layer slid off.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RoxiP said:

I was sorry Phoebe was eliminated because despite the problems with her cake she at least made an attempt to get it decorated. 

It seemed to me the deciding factor was that, while two of them clearly failed to finish decorating/execute the "shag" effect correctly, Phoebe also had the problem that they couldn't taste her twist ingredient at all. So both in the bottom failed on the "shag" part of the challenge, but Phoebe also failed on the "canned fruit". So even though hers was closer to finished on the shag front than the other girl, she was missing two ticks from the brief, rather than just one.

4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I wish they had given the kids another hour, to let the cakes cool properly.    I think the young man that had the cake layer slide off, needed to flatten the top of the layer with a knife, but I also think extra time to cool would have been better for everyone. 

I don't think that kid's main problem with the sliding was cooling. Not that more cooling wouldn't have helped everyone...but he didn't do the buttercream-dam most did. He just piled on the - was it pineapple? So he had a TON of slippery slidey fruit between the layers AND it was oozing out AND he tipped the stand. Between lack of friction and gravity, that was going to happen anyway. Although I did wonder if the kids were specifically told NOT to use straws or doweling in this challenge. The cakes weren't super tall, but some of the tipping as they carried them around could've been mitigated by a boba straw or two.

• Like 6