Type keyword(s) to search

Kids Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 9/20/2019 at 3:12 PM, TVbitch said:

Happy for Trevin. He had me chuckling throughout the competition and seemed like a lovable goofball with some skills. 

I'm wondering if the Duff/Valerie bits where they stand in the front and do jokes and comment on the bakers ("Uh oh, Taylor put too much butter in her crust!" etc.)  are taped after the bake. It just seemed staged to look like they are standing there observing the whole bake, but clearly they are not. 

I think I remember in past seasons where the kids reacted to their jokes, so I would assume they do them while they are baking. But I do wonder if sometimes they film some of the comments they make observing what the kids are doing (eg. "look, she's using too much butter!" or "ooo, look at how he is straining his strawberries"). I can't imagine they are standing there for the full 2hrs of baking.

33 minutes ago, Kakistos said:

Did anyone watch the Halloween episode?  It was fun to see some of the kids again.   But there wasn’t much suspense on who would win once you saw the results. 

Caught it by accident last night. So fun to see most of those kids again. Glad Madison wasn't upset about the sugar debacle.

• Love 6

Yes, was very fun to see those kids. My gosh, Bryn seems so mature now! Not that she was immature on her original KBC appearance, but she definitely seemed more like a high schooler now (even though she is still only 13). And she is almost as tall as Valerie!

• Love 3

I enjoyed the show also, in fact, I wish there were a couple episodes. Still hated the twist but I guess we are stuck with it.

1 hour ago, Kakistos said:

But there wasn’t much suspense on who would win once you saw the results. 

Well, at first one would think there were two good cakes, just looking at them but then they tasted Madison's cake....oops! Her cake was the winner in looks for me tho'!

And I loved that Duff and Val were in costume. Valarie's was OK, but Duff's was awesome! I'm not sure how he managed to eat the cakes without getting icing all over himself but he was a great lion!!!!

Fun show!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, NJKBCFan said:

Yes, was very fun to see those kids. My gosh, Bryn seems so mature now! Not that she was immature on her original KBC appearance, but she definitely seemed more like a high schooler now (even though she is still only 13). And she is almost as tall as Valerie!

I was very impressed with her. 

• Love 2

I was surprised when Madison forgot sugar.  Prior to that I thought she was a clear winner as her cake looked so pretty. That being said after it became clear she completely forgot sugar, Karthik clearly won. I was glad to see the kids back, though I didn't watch the other two seasons so I only knew the kids from season 6.

22 hours ago, suebee12 said:

I enjoyed the show also, in fact, I wish there were a couple episodes.

Me too. It would have been good to bring a few more kids back.

Edited by blueray

I liked Karthik on his season so I was happy that he won this time.  Bryn's cheesecake and spiderweb looked very nice but the colors weren't very Halloween-y.  I think what hurt her also is that the judges are always very "letter of the law" and the instructions were clear that the spider was supposed to be ON the web.  I totally understood why she put her spiders on the side but I think doing that plus the colors cost her the win.  

I enjoyed the re-run from a previous season with cute little Peggy too.  She was on Chopped Junior a couple years later and then on another show, GGG I think, a couple years after that with kids from the baking show and Rachael vs. Guy.  By then the kids were young teenagers.  I get a kick out of seeing the kids growing up (as long as one of them isn't Hunter).

• Love 1

Madison was the star of the Halloween episode. 

Naming the spiders Bob and Francine and then hoping that she remembered their names. By the end of the episode they were Bob and Francesca. And her "the cake is so baaaad!" and "oh, maybe I forgot that too." Way to keep your head up, kid. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

Am I the only one bothered by a 11-12 year old girl with fake fingernails? So very unsanitary for one thing. Geeze, let kids be kids, they grow up soon enough.

I've had cake pops once, at a wedding reception. They were horrible...undercooked cake mashed with frosting, formed on a stick, then dipped in white chocolate. Just awful.

I love cake, frosting, and white chocolate. But not like that.

• Love 2
On 11/3/2019 at 11:07 AM, Deskisamess said:

Am I the only one bothered by a 11-12 year old girl with fake fingernails? So very unsanitary for one thing. Geeze, let kids be kids, they grow up soon enough.

I've had cake pops once, at a wedding reception. They were horrible...undercooked cake mashed with frosting, formed on a stick, then dipped in white chocolate. Just awful.

I love cake, frosting, and white chocolate. But not like that.

I have never ever tasted a cake pop that was decent.  I can't understand for the life of me why people eat them.

• Love 2

I'm so disappointed because they are not showing this on Food Network on my satellite provider and I do not get the channel it is on...what is even more annoying is that it records but then I get an hour of blue screen telling me I do not subscribe to the channel!

Looks like there is a Holiday episode airing this Sunday! No mention of which kids are on it:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/kids-baking-championship/episodes/north-pole-edition

The young bakers must think on their feet as Valerie Bertinelli and Duff Goldman challenge them to fill a mini fireplace mantel with "santastic" sweets. Special guest Casey Webb helps choose the winner of the baker's dream prize package of top-of-the-line baking equipment worth over $10,000.

3 hours ago, NJKBCFan said:

Anyone else watch the North Pole episode? The kids were awesome! So fun! They all grew up so much, and all of their best personality traits have grown as well. 

Darn, I missed it!  Those kids were delightful in their seasons so I'll try to find it.  Glad to hear it was fun.

• Love 1

We were watching and

Spoiler

as Nyah was pouring the cornstarch on, my boyfriend was like, "Did she just pour on cornstarch?" I also saw it but they didn't make a big thing of it then, so we were questioning ourselves. Interesting that it didn't overly affect the taste of the eclair!

• Love 2
On 12/9/2019 at 12:07 PM, springbarb said:

Perhaps an unpopular opinion here, but I was disappointed to see Nylah back. She bugged me in her season. Not sure how I can describe it except to say she’s got a pouty, exaggerated way of speaking (someone seasons back described it as sounding like Shirley Temple-yes, I’m old). Unfortunately Nylah is still irritating to me. I haven’t finished watching yet...

Edited by hookedontv
Trying to remove quote box and cannot!
  • Love 2
On 12/12/2019 at 6:33 PM, hookedontv said:

Perhaps an unpopular opinion here, but I was disappointed to see Nylah back. She bugged me in her season. Not sure how I can describe it except to say she’s got a pouty, exaggerated way of speaking (someone seasons back described it as sounding like Shirley Temple-yes, I’m old). Unfortunately Nylah is still irritating to me. I haven’t finished watching yet...

I like Nyah! But you will enjoy the ending of this episode 🙂

• Love 1
On 12/14/2019 at 7:41 PM, HyeChaps said:

Why invite a winner back?  I love Lindsey, but give another finalist a chance.

Maybe the others were unavailable? Fwiw, the Halloween special described them as "4 fan favorites", and I assume that was true for this one too.

Can't wait for the new season in January!

• Love 2

Just saw the premier and I think this is not the most appealing group of kids.  Unlike other season premiers, there was no one that stood out, personality wise.  I'll watch it, of course, but you start wondering if they're beginning to run out of kids who want to be on this show.

• Love 2

So are "shag cakes" really a thing or is this just another FN invention?  What is it with always doing "retro" crap and making jokes at the kid's expense because they're too young to understand?  It's getting old.

I have to agree that this ensemble of kids is probably the most dull, but it's early days so that could change.  The only one that seems like a ham is Saleem.  I was SMH when we've already started with waterworks from Reggie.

• Love 4

They re-ran last season just before this premiere and the winner, Trevin says at one point in the finale "I've wanted to be on this show since I was 9 years old.  Lol, if that didn't make me feel old, the retro 70's theme of the new season did.  Sadly, I fell asleep during judging and don't know who won or got sent home. 

• Love 1

I caught several of the previous season's shows too as I had missed them originally.  It seemed like they liked Trevin so kept him on despite some pretty bad bakes.  I was rooting for the curly pig-tail girl with glasses to win because she was planning on donated some of her winnings to her deceased teacher's family.  I was quite touched by that.

• Love 3

I think it is too early to judge this group of kids because there are just SO MANY of them!  I did want to know if only little boys with speech impediments applied because there are at least two of them.  SPOILER ALERT:  I was sorry Phoebe was eliminated because despite the problems with her cake she at least made an attempt to get it decorated.  So far I like the little girl with the sunny smile who has diabetes, I like the boy who won, not sure I like the girl who already has her own baking business and a huge set of braces (not speaking against braces, that's just my only way of identifying her at this stage...LOL!).

I thought the shag cake idea was cute, but some of the ones they judged early were showing cake and they didn't mention it but they mentioned it several times towards the end of the judging.  I did like that Duff demonstrated the technique for them before they had to make the cakes.

Are there more contestants this year than usual or does it just seem that way?

Edited by RoxiP
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

I also noticed the uptick in speech impediments.  Anthony and Sam both seemed to struggle with certain words.  Maybe it's the new "cutesy" thing they look for in contestants?

I didn't find it cute at all.  I had a speech impediment when I was young and it is a process to get rid of it...if the producers (or the parents) are calling it cute then they are doing these children a disservice.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, RoxiP said:

SPOILER ALERT:  I was sorry Phoebe was eliminated because despite the problems with her cake she at least made an attempt to get it decorated. 

Poor Phoebe! At one point she made a comment about the 70's and Duff pointed at her and she took a deep breath and pressed her hand to her heart like she couldn't believe it. 

The only kids that stood out to me were Phoebe and the other girl that was in the bottom two for very seriously saying "I don't know how anyone went out of the house looking like that," when talking about 70's fashion. 

• Love 3

I love how supportive Duff, and Valerie are to the kids, and how some of the kids help each other.      I wish they had given the kids another hour, to let the cakes cool properly.   

I think the young man that had the cake layer slide off, needed to flatten the top of the layer with a knife, but I also think extra time to cool would have been better for everyone.    

I like the entire series of Baking contests on Food Network, because almost all of the contestants support each other.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6

Not to mention that these kids are close to being teens - they should have worked these speech impediments out by this time or else junior high is going to be miserable for these kids!

• Love 2

Just coming to post that Mrs. Dewelar pretty much made the exact same comment about not none of these kids standing out to her. The only thing she remembered was that one of them (Sam, I think) sounded like Homestar Runner (which I felt slightly bad for laughing at).

2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I love how supportive Duff, and Valerie are to the kids, and how some of the kids help each other.      I wish they had given the kids another hour, to let the cakes cool properly.    I think the young man that had the cake layer slide off, needed to flatten the top of the layer with a knife, but I also think extra time to cool would have been better for everyone.    

I like the entire series of Baking contests on Food Network, because almost all of the contestants support each other.  

That boy whose cake layer slid off had (IMO) way too much filling between the layers - it looked to be about 1".  I'm not surprised the layer slid off.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, RoxiP said:

I was sorry Phoebe was eliminated because despite the problems with her cake she at least made an attempt to get it decorated. 

It seemed to me the deciding factor was that, while two of them clearly failed to finish decorating/execute the "shag" effect correctly, Phoebe also had the problem that they couldn't taste her twist ingredient at all. So both in the bottom failed on the "shag" part of the challenge, but Phoebe also failed on the "canned fruit". So even though hers was closer to finished on the shag front than the other girl, she was missing two ticks from the brief, rather than just one.

4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I wish they had given the kids another hour, to let the cakes cool properly.    I think the young man that had the cake layer slide off, needed to flatten the top of the layer with a knife, but I also think extra time to cool would have been better for everyone. 

I don't think that kid's main problem with the sliding was cooling. Not that more cooling wouldn't have helped everyone...but he didn't do the buttercream-dam most did. He just piled on the - was it pineapple? So he had a TON of slippery slidey fruit between the layers AND it was oozing out AND he tipped the stand. Between lack of friction and gravity, that was going to happen anyway. Although I did wonder if the kids were specifically told NOT to use straws or doweling in this challenge. The cakes weren't super tall, but some of the tipping as they carried them around could've been mitigated by a boba straw or two.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

Anthony and Sam both seemed to struggle with certain words.

I noticed that also although it didn't register with me as speech impediment as much as remnants of baby talk.  It seemed odd that there would be two kids with the same quirk.

I wasn't surprised that they eliminated Phoebe because not only did she not finish decorating, they couldn't taste her second flavor and the inside of her cake was a runny mess.  I hope the other girl goes next.  She already has an attitude and she's not even a teenager yet.

• Love 1

I was just happy that none of the kids were immediately dislikeable. And I always like to see that they're willing to help each other.

The real star of the show is always Duff. He gives such a great combination of friendly support and truly constructive criticism. I love watching him on this show.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, docmatt said:

The real star of the show is always Duff. He gives such a great combination of friendly support and truly constructive criticism. I love watching him on this show.

ITA I can't imagine any other male chef in this role.  He's perfect.

• Love 7
15 hours ago, RoxiP said:

I think it is too early to judge this group of kids because there are just SO MANY of them!   

Are there more contestants this year than usual or does it just seem that way?

There are 12 contestants and while the seasons have had as few as 9, like the previous season, there have been several seasons with 12.  Frankly, they could have whittled this group down with no loss in quality.  In the recent Holiday championships, all four kids showed the personality and individuality that is necessary for a show like this.  As it stands, if we don't care about the kids, their creations have less interest since we can't taste them.

• Love 1

I tried to watch the first episode of new season, but between the kids with the speech issues, and the loud background music, I couldn't take it. Why do we need bongo drums playing in the background that drown out the speaking?

It’s not nice to make fun of children, or their looks, or their speech impediments. But...come on!  Why wouldn’t those boys’ parents seek out speech therapists for their kids?  Those kids should have been receiving therapy for their rhotacism (pronouncing R as W) once they were toddlers, or certainly by the time they got to kindergarten.  Most states have early intervention services.  Most public schools have speech therapists on staff, even if not in each school.  Those two boys may be considered cute or precious by their families now, but speaking like Elmer Fudd as a tween or teen or adult will not be easy for them.  

Duff and Valerie are so good with the kids.  Encouraging but not coddling.  Other than the kids with speech issues, there are still waaaay too many kids for me to remember now.  Once they thin the herd in a few weeks I may get better with names.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

It’s not nice to make fun of children, or their looks, or their speech impediments. But...come on!  Why wouldn’t those boys’ parents seek out speech therapists for their kids?  Those kids should have been receiving therapy for their rhotacism (pronouncing R as W) once they were toddlers, or certainly by the time they got to kindergarten.  Most states have early intervention services.  Most public schools have speech therapists on staff, even if not in each school.  Those two boys may be considered cute or precious by their families now, but speaking like Elmer Fudd as a tween or teen or adult will not be easy for them.  

Duff and Valerie are so good with the kids.  Encouraging but not coddling.  Other than the kids with speech issues, there are still waaaay too many kids for me to remember now.  Once they thin the herd in a few weeks I may get better with names.

I hope you didn't think I was making fun of the children with speech impediments, because I surely didn't mean to (I agree, I think making fun of children on these shows is off limits).  I truly think that if their parents have allowed them to continue speaking like 3-year olds past the age where they can get intervention that it is the parents who are to blame (I still have difficulty with my "s" and "z" wounds when I am tired and I am 61 years old!).

• Love 4

I have to watch my R's, L's and S's when I'm tired, and I'm 56. I had a couple of years of speech therapy (thank goodness) provided by my school during the 4th and 5th grades -, maybe even the 3rd, it's hard to remember now, lol. Lisps and such drive me nuts, moreso in adults honestly, as usually it's easy enough to address, given time and instruction. Hopefully those kids will get the help they need.

I agree that Duff and Valerie are the perfect hosts for this show, caring, careful with criticism and ... charismatic? (Wanted to carry on with the alliteration, lol) How about encouraging, as they are that as well. I'm always impressed by what these young kids can do and what good sports they are too. I am sorry to see (almost) anybody go home, every season. I wish I had had such a talent and a clear vision of my future as some of these kids have so early in life.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, scootypuffjr said:

I have to watch my R's, L's and S's when I'm tired, and I'm 56. I had a couple of years of speech therapy (thank goodness) provided by my school during the 4th and 5th grades -, maybe even the 3rd, it's hard to remember now, lol. Lisps and such drive me nuts, moreso in adults honestly, as usually it's easy enough to address, given time and instruction. Hopefully those kids will get the help they need.

I agree that Duff and Valerie are the perfect hosts for this show, caring, careful with criticism and ... charismatic? (Wanted to carry on with the alliteration, lol) How about encouraging, as they are that as well. I'm always impressed by what these young kids can do and what good sports they are too. I am sorry to see (almost) anybody go home, every season. I wish I had had such a talent and a clear vision of my future as some of these kids have so early in life.

Sorry, but although I think Duff is awesome with the kids, and really enjoys interacting with them, I don't  think Valerie is good with them at all. Her interactions with them one on one seem stilted and phony, and I feel she is too hard on them with criticisms that much older and talented bakers would be getting. I am just not a fan of hers.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, RoxiP said:

I hope you didn't think I was making fun of the children with speech impediments, because I surely didn't mean to (I agree, I think making fun of children on these shows is off limits).

RoxiP - I didn't think you were!  I just meant in general I try not to make fun of kids on these forums, & try to avoid pointing out any awkward looks or quirks.  However, I think the parents of those 2 boys are doing them a huge disservice!  My daughter had delayed speech at 2 years old.  We got Early Intervention involved (after testing her hearing and ruling out physical causes). She started talking almost immediately.  Then when she was 3, we noticed her rhotacism.  The speech therapist worked with her until she was ready for pre-K.  Then the school therapist took over.  By 1st grade, she had pretty much lost the impediment.

• Love 3