Type keyword(s) to search

Kids Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I do love Alex and every time his face is on screen I just want to squeeeeeeze his cheeks.  He is adorable and makes me happy.  On the other hand, when the overachiever girls started crying trying to stack their macwooooooons I couldn't help but laugh...am I dead inside?  

• Love 4

Sorry to see Emma go.   I loved how she teased back and forth with Duff but without being bratty about it.   I loved how these kids all helped each other and how they root each other on.   I know some adults who could learn from these kids.    I don't mind any of the kids who are left but I still love Alex and Peggy.  So cute and they make me laugh.   

• Love 3

I like all the kids who are left although I'm not crazy about Jane because she sort of comes across as a little show-off.  I don't dislike her, just find her tiresome.  Peggy and Rebecca are beautiful girls who seem sweet.  I like both boys.  My money for the win is on the girl with the impossible name.  She's lovely and sounds mature and intelligent.  All the kids have talent but I think her skills plus maturity will carry her through.

• Love 5

My money for the win is on the girl with the impossible name.  She's lovely and sounds mature and intelligent.  All the kids have talent but I think her skills plus maturity will carry her through.

I agree, Yashimabet (I looked at a previous post!) seems very calm and poised. I wasn't surprised some of the girls were crying over the stupid stacking thing - that was unnecessary pressure for a bunch of kids. Just let them bake, FFS!

I love Peggy but I think she should have been sent home instead of Emma. Her time management was awful (and she seemed genuinely shocked that she dithered for half an hour over her egg whites) and the end product was pretty bad. And Emma should have gotten points for saying the name of the cookie correctly! Macarons and macaroons are two totally different things, it's not just French vs. English pronunciation.

I feel the same way about this show as I do about the Great British Baking Show - just let everyone compete for the whole series and pick a winner at the end. I hate seeing anyone leave.

• Love 7

I agree, Yashimabet (I looked at a previous post!) seems very calm and poised. I wasn't surprised some of the girls were crying over the stupid stacking thing - that was unnecessary pressure for a bunch of kids. Just let them bake, FFS!

I watch this show because it's cute and fun.  Not to watch kids cry because the producers thought it would be cool to throw a last minute challenge on top of an already difficult task.  I was disgusted.  And they didn't even show Valerie or Duff giving any kind of support about it.  They just stood off in the distance and asked each other if Rebecca was crying!   I admire these children because they are doing well under greater pressure than a lot of adults could handle successfully.  Duff and Valerie do tell them when things don't taste good or weren't baked correctly and someone is sent home each episode.  But they are children!  I don't believe in participation medals but some accommodation needs to be made for the fact that developmentally, these kids are 10-13 years old.  It really ruined my enjoyment of this episode.  Especially since all the kids sound like they're sick.

• Love 5

What was dumb about the stacking was that professional bakers don't just pile macarons on top of each other without some kind of base and glue, so why make the kids?  If they want towers, give them a base to put them on.  That was not thought out well.

These kids are pretty amazing as far as poise and keeping their cool.  It was a bit of a shock to see tears.

• Love 3

I like how the kids BS about things, with the exception of Colby.  Something about the way he's always saying things like "Well, I like my dough unbaked" and "Well, I really don't like a lot of color on my baked goods" just rubs me the wrong way.  Yeah, kid, you meant to not bake it properly because you like improperly baked goods.  Sure.  Actually, I hate to say this about a kid, but he just rubs me the wrong way in general.  He seems like quite the special snowflake.

Duff is great with the kids.  The way he interacts with them makes me smile.  I never really cared much for Ace of Cakes or Duff in other shows, but here, I sort of love him.

That must have been some scene during the elimination.  Everyone, including Duff and Valerie, seemed to have tears in their eyes, and it looked like Valerie had a couple running down her face.  I'm glad they edited out whatever caused all that emotion.  It was hard enough to watch what they showed, with the kids being all upset.  And then Duff saying, "That's the worst it's ever been."  I'm glad they mostly keep that stuff out.  I don't need to watch that.

My husband keeps asking me who my favorite is.  I still don't have one, but Peggy is so cute I want to put her in my pocket and take her home, and I love Alex P.'s droll delivery.

Exactly!  Duff is kid-like himself and it doesn't translate well when he's judging or interacting with adults, but he seamlessly blends with the kids.

• Love 2

I like VB as an actress, but as a cook, not so much. I can't take her seriously because it always seems as though she's acting. Her branding as a "cook" also seems suspect since she no longer has a show on the air. She needs to pay the bills somehow. I do like Duff. He is the real deal but is self deprecating, doesn't take himself so seriously.

I like VB as an actress, but as a cook, not so much. I can't take her seriously because it always seems as though she's acting. Her branding as a "cook" also seems suspect since she no longer has a show on the air. She needs to pay the bills somehow. I do like Duff. He is the real deal but is self deprecating, doesn't take himself so seriously.

To be fair, after Valerie slimmed down via Jenny Craig (for which she was a celebrity spokesperson at the time), she wrote a cookbook, One Dish at a Time. It's not currently in print (it was published in 2012), but can still be ordered/bought through various sources including Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/One-Dish-Time-Delicious-Italian-American/dp/1609614607/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1454163874&sr=1-1

All you really seem to need, to host a cooking show--even briefly--on Food Network, is either to be a published cookbook author or to have won the Food Network Star show. Valerie's written a cookbook.

And, while she may currently be "between shows" on the TV networks which don't focus on a specific type of programming (like food), her Valerie's Home Cooking show (which was likely based on her cookbook) is still producing, & currently airing (on Saturday mornings), new episodes.

In my book, that's enough "cred" as a "foodie" where Valerie's concerned. I don't really agree with the "doing it to pay the bills" argument. She's (re)married, & her current husband is gainfully employed. While Valerie may command a larger salary than her husband, given her line of work, I'd think they could live well enough on just his salary when/if necessary.

• Love 1

A lot of people like to cook and are good at it. Valerie may fit that bill, but I find it hard to believe she'd have a show on a cooking channel if she hadn't been well known before, even if she did write a cookbook. Food networks want to garner ratings as much as any other network so having celebrities on helps achieve that goal.

• Love 1

Macarons and macaroons are two totally different things, it's not just French vs. English pronunciation.

This bugged me the whole episode! I'm American and I say "macaron"! Well, I say "macaroon," too... When I refer to the coconut cookies.
  • Love 6

I thought Jane should have gone = the Judges didn't like anything about her dessert but at least they liked Alex's shortbread.  So sorry to see Alex go he was so cute and so funny.  However, still rooting for Peggy or the very poised young lady whose name I can never remember.

Edited:  Yashimibet?

Edited by penbrat
  • Love 1

Dumb challenge.  Also, it brought back traumatic childhood memories of my Mom baking a chocolate-zucchini cake.  On purpose!

It's driving me crazy that every single one of the kids sounds completely stuffed up.   Are they all allergic to something?   It would be horrible if they were all actually sick.

I am sorry to see any of these kids go - every time one leaves, we are that much closer to the end of the season and I don't want that to happen.  I am really enjoying this show.

I didn't really like the lunch box challenge.  It veered too much into Chopped territory, making the kids use weird food combinations.  I also thought adding carrots late in the day was dumb.

Kids good, challenge bad.

I was fine with the lunchbox part of it - except the pears and cheddar cheese. How is anyone supposed to make a tasty dessert with cheddar cheese?  Yeah, I know that some people like a slice of cheddar on their apple pie, but cheddar isn't a usually dessert cheese  and pears aren't apples.

Adding the carrots or banana chips so late was not nice at all.  Some had already put their dish in the oven before they got the carrots/banana chips - so much for rewarding good time management.  

• Love 4

I get they were going along with "school cafeteria traditions" in allowing the kids to trade their lunchbox ingredients (kids always trade the crappy stuff from their lunchboxes/sometimes from their hot lunches for better stuff they think their friends have/stuff they like but their friends don't). But was it really fair they got to trade for better stuff this week since they haven't gotten to trade away ingredients they didn't like/didn't know how to prepare/were all WTF? about in earlier weeks? I mean, working with something you're familiar with/you prefer might give you some sort of advantage the original ingredient you were given/stuck with didn't.

Edited by BW Manilowe

I know I'm a huge skeptic, but I find it improbable that these young kids have the ability to turn out some amazing things just off the tops of their heads.  Some of their creations this season just says "I've had practice at this and I'm just doing it again".  

• Love 1

I am sorry to see any of these kids go - every time one leaves, we are that much closer to the end of the season and I don't want that to happen.  I am really enjoying this show.

I was fine with the lunchbox part of it - except the pears and cheddar cheese. How is anyone supposed to make a tasty dessert with cheddar cheese?  Yeah, I know that some people like a slice of cheddar on their apple pie, but cheddar isn't a usually dessert cheese  and pears aren't apples.

Adding the carrots or banana chips so late was not nice at all.  Some had already put their dish in the oven before they got the carrots/banana chips - so much for rewarding good time management.  

I love eating chocolate and cheddar together but I do think that a pear and cheddar sandwich sounds gross.

• Love 1

I love eating chocolate and cheddar together but I do think that a pear and cheddar sandwich sounds gross.

I've never had a pear & cheddar sandwich, but my Mom has served pear halves (the canned kind), with a bit of shredded cheese (I think American, not cheddar) on them before. I actually like those.

Jane has been my least favorite baker throughout the show so I didn't mind one bit that she was eliminated, but setting that aside, the main thing is: she throws more and more sugar into and onto her baking more often than she should.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 1

I've only seen a couple of the episodes, but I liked what I've seen so far.

When Jane showed the cake layer that had not baked completely, I immediately thought that she should cut/tear up the parts around the edge that had baked okay, do the same with the entire 'good' layer and make a trifle.  But then she would have to make pudding or something for it.  I also thought that if she didn't have enough frosting for that one layer, what would she have done if her second layer had come out okay?  She would have still run very short on frosting.

Does the girl that likes ice cream make it for every challenge?  I didn't think her dish went 'together' at all.  Maybe if she had used the shortbread and made ice cream sandwiches or something like that (with marshmallows stuck around the edges then torched).  But it's easy for me to figure out something with no time crunch.  I don't know what I would have done, but I think I would have used the peppermint patties in something (chopped up in a chocolate cake batter or maybe a mousse).  I would have probably used the malted milk balls in something, but I have no idea what my third candy choice would be.  

• Love 1

I'm surprised they didn't ding Peggy for not using three candies in one dessert.  She used one candy for the cookie, one in the ice cream and another in the ice cream topping, against specific instructions to the contrary.

TPTB need to rethink the twists.  They just end up ruining the bakes in progress.  You can't require using a torch and then complain about sweetness--what else can you do but put something sugary on top and blow on it?

I find it improbable that these young kids have the ability to turn out some amazing things just off the tops of their heads.  Some of their creations this season just says "I've had practice at this and I'm just doing it again".

I'm pretty sure they are allowed to bring recipes, and I'd doubt that anything they are making is for the first time. 

• Love 3

I was not sorry to see Jane go. She just played to the camera too much for me and that just always bugs..like the kids on Master Chef Jr. where most seem to be playing a character of a kid cook. I do enjoy this show though even if they've practiced their recipes.  They've still got to do the cooking. I've practiced my recipes for longer than they've been alive and its still hit or miss sometimes.  Baking especially. I found a new recipe for brownies that I like and have made them half a dozen times and they're the best brownies ever but a few times they've been the not so great brownies ever. 

• Love 3

The group hug for Jane's goodbye was so cute I almost cried.

I didn't care for the challenge itself again this week.  Basing a dessert on one candy could have resulted in better results.  Requiring three just guaranteed sugar overload and conflicting flavors, not to mention what all that candy did to the batter and crusts.

They don't need to be so cutesy just because it's kids.  I'd rather see them make more traditional things which are hard enough in themselves than add junk like that.

• Love 4

I actually really enjoy Duff and Valerie together, much to my surprise. I never liked Duff on his cake show but I am really liking him as a judge on the various competition shows and I think he does particularly well with kids.

• Love 4

I'm pretty sure they are allowed to bring recipes, and I'd doubt that anything they are making is for the first time.

Yes, the kids do bring recipes with them, so they have the basics available to them at all times while cooking.

I too was a bit confused about Peggy's desserts and the challenge parameters of "make 1 dessert with 3 candies."  Was it considered 1 dessert because the individual components were all placed on one plate? I thought she would at least be in the bottom, but she was called safe.  I thought Jane was going to pull a Holiday Baking Championship challenge idea on us and use the baked edges of her second tier and fill the hole with her candies and then frost the whole thing. Anyone remember that challenge on HBC where they had to bake candies into a dessert? She so could have done that!

Am I the only one who keeps forgetting there is a Rebecca in the competition? She seems quite competent, but I forget about her immediately after every show.

What I do like about this show is that the end products are clearly made the kids, as opposed to Masterchef Jr., where everything looks so perfect I find it hard to believe the kids don't have adult help.

Maybe Jane can go take care of that cold now. She and Matt seemed like they both have one.

Tee hee! I will not miss Jane's stuffy nose at all. 

• Love 1

I will miss Jane, but as long as my girls Rebecca and Yahshimabet are safe, I'm good.

I did think it was a little funny that they did a candy challenge, but weren't allowed to say any of the proper names of the candy. I guess it was too expensive or difficult to clear all the candies, but it was weird to hear them called "sugar sticks" or "sweet and sour candies" instead of Pixie Stix and Sweet Tarts.

• Love 1

I too was a bit confused about Peggy's desserts and the challenge parameters of "make 1 dessert with 3 candies."  Was it considered 1 dessert because the individual components were all placed on one plate? I thought she would at least be in the bottom, but she was called safe.  I thought Jane was going to pull a Holiday Baking Championship challenge idea on us and use the baked edges of her second tier and fill the hole with her candies and then frost the whole thing. Anyone remember that challenge on HBC where they had to bake candies into a dessert? She so could have done that!

I remember the "piñata cakes" (not the official name).  They were supposed to have candy tumble out of the cake when they cut it (which is a concept I have never heard of anywhere else). I remember when I heard the description, I thought they had to bake the cake with all that candy in it, then I was surprised when some (most?) of them just baked a cake, cut a hole in it, filled the hole with candy, and frosted the whole thing. 

I assume that Jane was planning on only putting frosting between the layers, or else she made much to little frosting.  When she realized she couldn't use both layers, she should have cut the layer into two smaller circles - plus then she would have had enough frosting (for the middle anyway).  But I can't fault her for not thinking of it -- it took me two days to come up with that idea, and I am at least 3 times her age. 

I did think it was a little funny that they did a candy challenge, but weren't allowed to say any of the proper names of the candy. I guess it was too expensive or difficult to clear all the candies, but it was weird to hear them called "sugar sticks" or "sweet and sour candies" instead of Pixie Stix and Sweet Tarts.

That's Food Network!  I wonder if they do that because they can't get companies to pay for product placement or because FN has to pay something if they use the brand name (some sort of copyright thing to protect their brand?).  Maybe it is just because FN likes to use the cheaper generic products. 

• Love 1

I am not that sorry to see Jane go because she was too cutesy and self-conscious for my taste. I really want MAtthew to be the next to go, however. He seems so programmed, plus his adenoid-infused speech just gets on my last nerve. Peggy and Yashimabet FTW!

• Love 5

It's at the point where I love all of the kids so I'm super sad to see any of them eliminated, but I have to say I simultaneously aww'ed and cracked up when Peggy started to cry because her dough wasn't baking and time was running out, Duff went over presumably to check on her, noticed she was crying, and backed up and told Valerie to handle it! Hee!

• Love 2

Matthew could teach a lot of adults about how to act on a competition show.  What a great kid, taking so much time to help Peggy.  His solution of frying philo dough saved her nachos from being a total disaster. 

I absolutely HATE the stupid twists they throw in.  They don't add anything to the show, in fact, they detract.   Does anyone think that makes good TV?   YMMV.

• Love 9

Awww, that was tough - Peggy is so adorable. Valerie did a nice job with her, both in the kitchen and after the elimination.

Rebecca's BLT imposter was incredible. The marzipan bacon was a stroke of genius!

• Love 8

Valerie lost all that weight for Jenny Craig...doesn't it seem like judging a baking show would undo all her hard work in losing weight?

That's the slimmed down Valerie??

And I get really tired of Duff looking sideways for the camera. It might be just a glance but it's so twee, or something, and just makes me roll my eyes. Also not fond of his big bites. Kinda' gross.

Really cute show. Saw it for the first time last night.

Not a kid person but this seemed like a kinder gentler Masterchef Jr. with kid contestants who, imho, appear to be closer to being real kids and not actor wannabes who have been coached in precociousness for the cameras.

And the time constraints seem more realistic. Maybe there's less drama but it was sure easier for me to watch.

• Love 5

Poor Peggy!  Even her pony tail looked depressed.  And major kudos to Matthew for helping her out.  Of course, it looked like it ended up helping him out too, once he "lost" his pie crust he already had filo dough on his mind.  How on earth did that big square of pie crust end up in his bowl of cherry filling anyway?  That was bizarre.  It must have been very tempting for the camera man to go "Psst!  Hey kid!  Take another look at your filling." 

It was interesting that Valerie, when she was comforting Peggy, was encouraging her to think of alternatives and then clearly stated, "I can't help you."  Didn't Duff offer suggestions more than once over the course of the show?  Not in this episode, but I thought he'd suggest techniques that he's used.  They both have done the "remember not to make it too sweet!" reminders but for some reason I'm thinking Duff has given a little more active assistance.

• Love 1

I am sad to see Peggy go (you could replace "Peggy" with any of the other kids names and that sentence would still be true).

I absolutely HATE the stupid twists they throw in.  They don't add anything to the show, in fact, they detract.   Does anyone think that makes good TV?   YMMV.

I especially hate the twists that involve adding in an ingredient, after they have already had time to start mixing and even baking the dish.  I don't think this week's twist would have been so bad, if they had also given them extra time.  Give them an extra hour or two to add a savory cupcake.  

• Love 2

The twists are terrible. Some of the less disruptive kinds weren't that bad, but to add a whole cupcake and a savory one at that is ridiculous. I guess it gives kids a chance to shine but I feel terrible for them. 

Matthew is a sweetie for helping, but I am always of two minds about that kind of assistance. If a better baker (or chef or designer or whatever) goes home because a struggling baker got help that made a significant difference, I cringe.  

I love these kids. Kid competitors are spoiling adult reality competition shows (except for Face Off) for me.  

• Love 4

I keep changing my mind about who I want to win because I like all of the remaining kids so much - and that included darling little Peggy.  Right now I'm leaning toward Rebecca but the other two are super kids also so anything could happen in the final.  I wish they could all win.

• Love 1

It was interesting that Valerie, when she was comforting Peggy, was encouraging her to think of alternatives and then clearly stated, "I can't help you."  Didn't Duff offer suggestions more than once over the course of the show?  Not in this episode, but I thought he'd suggest techniques that he's used.  They both have done the "remember not to make it too sweet!" reminders but for some reason I'm thinking Duff has given a little more active assistance.

I was thinking the same thing at first. But then I thought of previous episodes and something Duff has mentioned on twitter. I think he generally offers up advice to all of the kids. In this case with Peggy being upset, it would have probably been more individualized advice that he would not have given the other kids. Though now that I think about it, I feel like he did help out another time when someone was particularly upset.....hm....