Type keyword(s) to search

Kids Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I like Saylor, Taylor and Bowtie kid.   None of them really worked my nerves last night so maybe this season will be fun.   But expressing yourself with an éclair?  Um, okay.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, stormy said:

I always look forward to to this show. Last night it bored me to tears. Maybe I'm burned out on FN cooking games.

Hopefully it'll get more interesting.

I'll say that this season's cast seems a little less appealing than previous seasons. Most of them seem a little forced with the reactions and overall personalities. According to her Instagram account, Mekdes already has "representation", so show-biz seems like an objective with some of them.  Hopefully they settle down a little in the coming episodes. Seasons 2 and 4 were my favorites in terms of liking the kids.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, NJKBCFan said:

I'll say that this season's cast seems a little less appealing than previous seasons. Most of them seem a little forced with the reactions and overall personalities. According to her Instagram account, Mekdes already has "representation", so show-biz seems like an objective with some of them.  Hopefully they settle down a little in the coming episodes. Seasons 2 and 4 were my favorites in terms of liking the kids.

At this point I assume all the kids on these shows are wanna be actors or whatever.

I mean really, are there that many kids out there running home bakeries?

• Love 1

I chalk some of the behavior up to first challenge jitters, contestant age and too much coaching.  Do I know they were coached?  No, but it stands to reason.  One boy seemed lost in the kitchen, one girl giggled way too much and one was somewhat sassy to Duff.  I suppose it would help if I learned the names.  There were some defeatist attitudes and both Valerie and Duff helped reassure the contestants that they had enough time and could do it.  The twist didn't do anyone any favors, you'd think they could leave it out for the first challenge or, better idea, leave it out entirely.  

Ok, I looked up contestants.   Matthew -- bowtie guy -- I think there is potential there, probably the most talented boy remaining in the competition.  Actually I think Davey and Enzo are the next to leave unless Davey calms his nerves and can complete tasks on his own.  I think he was coached to exaggerate his reaction to time pressure.

Saylor has baking talent and good time management, final three unless there is a meltdown heading her way.  She does seem awfully young.

As others said Taylor is a likely finalist.  If Mekdes just made opening challenge mistakes and settles down she may edge Taylor out.

Natasha seems more mature or perhaps more serious. 

Bakers I like:  Matthew, Saylor, Natasha, Taylor

Bakers where I'm neutral:  Mekdes, Issi

Bakers I did not like: Davey, Enzo

Zach -- we hardly knew ye.  I think he needed....something.....I felt badly for him. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Eliza422 said:

At this point I assume all the kids on these shows are wanna be actors or whatever.

I mean really, are there that many kids out there running home bakeries?

If you look at the IG accounts from last season, it doesn't look like any of them are doing much to pursue a showbiz career. Haven't found many IG accounts from kids from previous seasons, although I think a couple of them have appeared on other shows. The kids from this season are very active on IG. Either they are very self-promotional or Food Network has coached them on this for this season.

35 minutes ago, snarkylady said:

I chalk some of the behavior up to first challenge jitters, contestant age and too much coaching.  Do I know they were coached?  No, but it stands to reason.  One boy seemed lost in the kitchen, one girl giggled way too much and one was somewhat sassy to Duff.  I suppose it would help if I learned the names.  There were some defeatist attitudes and both Valerie and Duff helped reassure the contestants that they had enough time and could do it.  The twist didn't do anyone any favors, you'd think they could leave it out for the first challenge or, better idea, leave it out entirely.  

Ok, I looked up contestants.   Matthew -- bowtie guy -- I think there is potential there, probably the most talented boy remaining in the competition.  Actually I think Davey and Enzo are the next to leave unless Davey calms his nerves and can complete tasks on his own.  I think he was coached to exaggerate his reaction to time pressure.

Saylor has baking talent and good time management, final three unless there is a meltdown heading her way.  She does seem awfully young.

As others said Taylor is a likely finalist.  If Mekdes just made opening challenge mistakes and settles down she may edge Taylor out.

Natasha seems more mature or perhaps more serious. 

Bakers I like:  Matthew, Saylor, Natasha, Taylor

Bakers where I'm neutral:  Mekdes, Issi

Bakers I did not like: Davey, Enzo

Zach -- we hardly knew ye.  I think he needed....something.....I felt badly for him. 

I bet Matthew is a good baker, but he fell apart a little too easily. Will see how he regroups.

I am always surprised at the disparity between the pictures of the things that the kids have done in the past and what they do on the show.  I realize that there is the pressure of the time constraints, but most of those hashtag eclairs were just plain sloppy.  It's obvious from those photos that the kids know how to pipe neatly, but they just couldn't do it during the competition.  I'm not a baker, but I have piped "Happy Birthday" neatly on a cake or two in my life.

I was hoping for Davey to be eliminated, but I guess that there really was no comparison between his eclairs and Zach's.  

• Love 4

Zach was the right one. No cinnamon, his eclairs looked awfully dry, and I could not read that hashtag. #ZachAttackEnds.

Saylor and Taylor! They rhyme! That’s why I’m rooting for them. Saylor - I really wanted to eat her eclair! That was really good! Taylor - her eclair was really exceptional!

Mekdes (or however she spells her name) - I would have used real apples instead of applesauce, just that way so the ecair would form its shape correctly.

Wasn’t there a Matthew 3 seasons ago that competed here? Matthew Merritt, I think that was his name. The Matthew this season, Mr. Bow Tie, is so cute!

Was Shalimar boy from 2 seasons ago the only boy that has won KBC? Yes, the girls are getting all the wins. I want it to be a boy this season!

• Love 2

I wish they'd stop with the twists.  I hate them and think they are about coping with pressure not baking skills.  It's bad enough that they do that to adults on the holiday baking shows but it's worse when they're making silly demands on little kids who are already stressed out.  I'd much rather watch contestants, any age, do things well than watch them slop something up because the clock is ticking down.

• Love 15
12 hours ago, VMepicgrl said:

I watched the two episodes that came after since nothing else was on.

I've watched 4 now. I'm a pro baker, and I'm a bit astonished at the amount of fondant she uses & very little buttercream. My customers want taste first & foremost, & most hate fondant. There was two items-a cupcake they just wrapped in fondant-no buttercream, & a "wrap" where they used fondant as the tortilla & buttercream & candy for the center. The fake looks on the women when they bit into those was "oh, yum.......where can I spit this out".  Now these kids could do the same items but more edible, better tasting.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, luvapickle said:

I've watched 4 now. I'm a pro baker, and I'm a bit astonished at the amount of fondant she uses & very little buttercream. My customers want taste first & foremost, & most hate fondant. There was two items-a cupcake they just wrapped in fondant-no buttercream, & a "wrap" where they used fondant as the tortilla & buttercream & candy for the center. The fake looks on the women when they bit into those was "oh, yum.......where can I spit this out".  Now these kids could do the same items but more edible, better tasting.

I'm not a pro baker, but I have heard that about the fondant from these other shows, like KBC. What struck me was that I don't know they can consider what they do cupcakes as opposed to just mini-cakes. Yes, they made realistic objects that were smaller than the businesses who make large cakes that look like objects. But I even checked (one definition, granted) and cupcake is: "a small cake baked in a cup-shaped container and typically iced." I wasn't a fan of the show due to the personalities, but on DC cupcakes, when they made large displays and fancy things, they did use actual cupcakes and used coloring and design on the tops or with how they arranged the cupcakes to make the amazing displays. That makes more sense to me as cupcakes.

Back to this show - I was glad they did eclairs and not cake. I hope they mix up the types of baking more again this season. Last season was not very diverse. I also agree with those wishing that they didn't limit the time quite so much and definitely wish they didn't have the stupid twists. I watch this show to see talented kid bakers. I don't want them to struggle to show their talents.

• Love 5

Saylor, talking about her big order of cookies: I had to stay up till midnight!

Laughed louder than necessary. My kids, who aspire to be in this show, which will never happen because they have no training or skills, didn't quite get whyi was laughing.

• Love 3

As usual, I'm enjoying the marathon of reruns more than the current show. Still love cutie Matthew from Season 2.  :)  I'm hoping I'll have a more favorable opinion after tonight's ep and will be able to talk about the newest contestants.  

• Love 1

Two episodes in, and I think I can now officially say that this season feels like a huge dropoff from the previous one. I like Taylor, but she almost feels like a ringer compared to the others. Too many meltdowns already, and it feels like Duff and Valerie are having to help much more than last season. Also, I don't remember ever seeing them give a full-on demonstration of how to do a challenge like they did tonight. That felt odd. Anyway, this season just isn't clicking with me yet. Was last season a fluke?

Also: interesting that Davy busted out "the ceiling" to "what's up?", since I thought last season's Beverly had that trademarked ;-D .

• Love 5

I saw the preview cakes in the commercial for this season and noticed they weren't as good as the unicorn ones from last season which I really liked. I actually mentioned to someone else who was at my home when the commercial came on on that I wonder if the cakes shown were an indication of the quality of kid bakers they were able to recruit. 

6 hours ago, dewelar said:

Two episodes in, and I think I can now officially say that this season feels like a huge dropoff from the previous one. I like Taylor, but she almost feels like a ringer compared to the others. Too many meltdowns already, and it feels like Duff and Valerie are having to help much more than last season. Also, I don't remember ever seeing them give a full-on demonstration of how to do a challenge like they did tonight. That felt odd. Anyway, this season just isn't clicking with me yet. Was last season a fluke?

Also: interesting that Davy busted out "the ceiling" to "what's up?", since I thought last season's Beverly had that trademarked ;-D .

I might be wrong, but I think the kids this season on average are a little younger than last season. Last season, I think Beverley was the only 10yr old, whereas this season I think Mekdes, Davey and Enzo are 10. That might be part of why the kids seem to melt down a little easier and the skills seem a little lower.

Last season, Duff gave a full-on demonstration for lunch-box imposters, and there was a video demonstration for the galaxy challenge.

Davey feels like Biff from Back to the Future to me. :-)

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Emkat said:

I HATE the twists. It just messes up what they are working on and dosen't add any benefit.

I want the recipe for the raspberry limeade cake.

I don't usually mind the twists so much, but this week's twist seemed pretty random and pointless, like they ran out of ideas for twists.

• Love 3

I was having trouble imagining how ginger would go with some of the flavors the kids were using in their cakes.  Ginger, in my opinion, does not go with everything.  I also couldn't fathom how the ginger flavor could be weak when they were using so much of it. 

• Love 8

I love Matthew. He cracks me up how he wears his glasses on the tip of his nose, & looks out over them.  As for how the kids are doing this time compared to others. I really feel as though some people, kids and adults, are not as cut out for comps with the time limit. Most of them are probably used to taking their time creating. They screw up, it gets made again-no biggy. I think maybe they want to show kids that are more "everyday" kids.  Ginger....well I love ginger. But that really is not something that goes with everything, & it kind of came a bit late in the game.  If it gets baked in the cake, you definitely need more. Steeping it, you need more. Putting it straight into buttercream, you shouldn't need that much. But if you have other flavors going on, I don't see how the powers that be thought it would come through.

As a note, I HATE sprinkles/confetti. I won't take an order anymore where someone wants them in the cake. Sorry, it changes the quality flavor of the cake when baked. And my grandmothers, whom I use all their recipes, & my mom would be rolling in their graves if I added them. Actually they would probably get up out of their graves & comes smack me upside the head. I will however, add them on the outside if someone really wants them.  I give kudos to the limeade-key lime is one of our most popular flavors, behind peanut butter.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, NJKBCFan said:

I might be wrong, but I think the kids this season on average are a little younger than last season. Last season, I think Beverley was the only 10yr old, whereas this season I think Mekdes, Davey and Enzo are 10. That might be part of why the kids seem to melt down a little easier and the skills seem a little lower.

That's possible. I haven't really looked at the ages of the bakers. I understand meltdowns will happen here and there (even with adults!), but two per episode is well into "uncomfortable to watch" territory. Either way, this lies squarely at the feet of the producers.

5 hours ago, NJKBCFan said:

Last season, Duff gave a full-on demonstration for lunch-box imposters, and there was a video demonstration for the galaxy challenge.

I remember the lunch-box bit, but I remember it being more an example of one type of impostor as opposed to a demonstration of exactly the thing they were going to do. I don't remember how the galaxy one worked, but if it was of that nature then obviously my memory ain't what it used to be ;-) .

I kept getting distracted trying to figure out why so many shots of the cakes being presented to the judges showed the sign with Taylor's name on it on the table.  At first, I thought that those close ups were "beauty shots" taken separately and someone neglected to change the signs but then there were shots with the child (not Taylor) in it talking to Duff and Valerie.  Even more confusing, there was at least one presentation where I saw the Taylor sign at the beginning but it wasn't there as the camera showed the kid walking out of the room.  It was so obvious that I can't understand why production/editing didn't catch it.  Filming of all those presentations must be a lot more fragmented than it seems.

50 minutes ago, mlp said:

I kept getting distracted trying to figure out why so many shots of the cakes being presented to the judges showed the sign with Taylor's name on it on the table.  At first, I thought that those close ups were "beauty shots" taken separately and someone neglected to change the signs but then there were shots with the child (not Taylor) in it talking to Duff and Valerie.  Even more confusing, there was at least one presentation where I saw the Taylor sign at the beginning but it wasn't there as the camera showed the kid walking out of the room.  It was so obvious that I can't understand why production/editing didn't catch it.  Filming of all those presentations must be a lot more fragmented than it seems.

I didn't notice the sign, but I'm pretty sure the presentations are done towards the end of the row of baking stations, and Taylor's station is one of the two that are right next to the judging table. 

I'm pretty sure the presentations are done towards the end of the row of baking stations, and Taylor's station is one of the two that are right next to the judging table. 

True but the sign I was talking about was on the same display table as the cake being judged.  Right next to it.  And it came and went.

21 hours ago, mlp said:

True but the sign I was talking about was on the same display table as the cake being judged.  Right next to it.  And it came and went.

Explain what you are talking about. What do you mean? Send me pictures.

I really liked Natasha’s fluffy cake. How the judges said it really gave the illusion of movement really won me over.

Ginger? Adding ginger to a gravity-defying cake? Really? Most of the kids the judge said “could not taste ginger” and it was just baffling to me. My child’s aunt gave her ginger snaps and she liked them. Not sure what it will do to me.

Was anybody else bothered by Valerie’s mispronunciation of “accompaniment”? It was absurd, and it was just said to appear as if she was being slick.

• Love 1

Explain what you are talking about. What do you mean? Send me pictures.

I can't explain it much better than I did 4 comments up.  All the kids' cakes are presented to the judges on a table across from them.  There was a sign that said "Taylor" next to the cake in some shots and not in others - when the kid presenting was not Taylor.  In one case (can't recall which kid), the sign was there during his/her presentation but, when he/she was shown exiting the room, the sign was not there.  

I have no way to send pictures.  I've already deleted the episode from my DVR and, even if I hadn't, I wouldn't know how to do that.

8 minutes ago, mlp said:

I can't explain it much better than I did 4 comments up.  All the kids' cakes are presented to the judges on a table across from them.  There was a sign that said "Taylor" next to the cake in some shots and not in others - when the kid presenting was not Taylor.  In one case (can't recall which kid), the sign was there during his/her presentation but, when he/she was shown exiting the room, the sign was not there.  

I have no way to send pictures.  I've already deleted the episode from my DVR and, even if I hadn't, I wouldn't know how to do that.

I took a quick look on DVR. Matthew's sign on his station was also in a few of the shots, too. I think whether you see it or not depended on the angle of the camera since the signs are fairly low (eg. if the camera shot is from a higher angle, you see the sign, but if it's lower, you don't).

On 8/14/2018 at 12:41 PM, dewelar said:

That's possible. I haven't really looked at the ages of the bakers. I understand meltdowns will happen here and there (even with adults!), but two per episode is well into "uncomfortable to watch" territory. Either way, this lies squarely at the feet of the producers.

And I'm just mean because I think it's downright annoying and feels very manipulative to me on the kids' part. One kid just scrunched up his face like he was crying. I mean, what better way to get some extra help and attention. I know, I'm going to hell.

• Love 7
21 minutes ago, tobeannounced said:

And I'm just mean because I think it's downright annoying and feels very manipulative to me on the kids' part. One kid just scrunched up his face like he was crying. I mean, what better way to get some extra help and attention. I know, I'm going to hell.

Please save me a seat.

• Love 3
On 8/14/2018 at 10:49 AM, luvapickle said:

it kind of came a bit late in the game.

The one thing I have often wondered is exactly when the "twist" is presented. Sometimes it looks like it is much earlier in the show than when it is shown to us....that is going by what the kids add the twist to.(Like with the ginger, didn't someone add it to the cake itself? Hope I explained my question so that it is understandable!

Oh, did you notice that Matthew finished quite early and went around helping all the others? He is such a cutie!!!

Edited by suebee12
  • Love 1

Upside to the show:  Duff gave the kids (and me) a lesson in a candy illusion cake which is more beneficial than 99% of their challenges.

Downsides to the show:  1) I really can't bear to see the kids crying all the time.  2) Valerie needs a stylist fast.  Shoot, I though I wore dowdy clothes.  She makes me look like I'm hip.  The way she was dressed the other night I thought she was ready to sweep out the garage.  She's a big gal now/again, and she needs to wear clothes that are more flattering.

I noticed signs to the right of the cakes and thought, "Oh, that's how they remember the names of all of these kids."  But then, the sign didn't always match up with the kid, so I don't know what their purpose was.

Edited by Ilovecomputers
  • Love 1

Upside to the show:  Duff gave the kids (and me) a lesson in a candy illusion cake which is more beneficial than 99% of their challenges.

Downsides to the show:  1) I really can't bear to see the kids crying all the time.  2) Valerie needs a stylist fast.  Shoot, I though I wore dowdy clothes.  She makes me look like I'm hip.  The way she was dressed the other night I thought she was ready to sweep out the garage.  She's a big gal now/again, and she needs to wear clothes that are more flattering.

I noticed signs to the right of the cakes and thought, "Oh, that's how they remember the names of all of these kids."  But then, the sign didn't always match up with the kid, so I don't know what their purpose was.

• Love 1
On 8/16/2018 at 4:31 PM, Ilovecomputers said:

The name signs are at each kid’s baking station. 

• Love 1

Three episodes in, and I'm still not sure if I'm a fan of this season. First, the skill level of the kids is definitely a drop-off from previous seasons. Also, while the kids all seem nice, they all feel just a bit awkward. Again, maybe that's because they are a little bit younger than the kids on previous seasons, so I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but that's just my reaction to watching them.

As for this third episode, it was pretty underwhelming. The challenge description sounded interesting, but the actual result was pretty meh. And what was that with Taylor getting waffles? This is a baking championship, and with waffles there was nothing for Taylor to bake. Same thing with Nat's french toast, although I guess she did end up putting them into an oven instead of a pan. Taylor, Saylor and Nat are the definite front-runners now, with Matthew a dark horse (hopefully he finds some toughness as he seems to break down a little too easily).

• Love 4

We came so close to Davey being eliminated.  Maybe next week.

Yeah.  Davey isn't obnoxious like a couple kids in previous seasons but he is my least favorite.  He did have fewer errors than the girl with the awkward name I can't remember though.  She was pretty, I liked her voice and I was sorry to see her go. 

Do FN producers never read boards or do they just not care what viewers say?  Everyone hates twists and they keep right on doing it.  I vote for "don't care."

• Love 5
1 hour ago, mlp said:

Do FN producers never read boards or do they just not care what viewers say?  Everyone hates twists and they keep right on doing it.  I vote for "don't care."

Maybe we need a hashtag campaign to get their attention. I do think at this point all contestants should know they are coming and figure in some extra time. But, really, just make the challenge ice cream sandwich WITH a sauce. And don't act like the twist is something you just came up with. We know better. Everybody knows better. It is particularly annoying to me in the kid editions.

Do the kid editions always have just the elimination challenge per ep - no "quickfire" for an advantage?

I miss homemade ice cream. Sailor's peach ice cream took me right back to summers at my grandparent's house.  Peach and Pineapple were my favorites. Good times.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, NJKBCFan said:

Taylor, Saylor and Nat are the definite front-runners now, with Matthew a dark horse (hopefully he finds some toughness as he seems to break down a little too easily).

What do you mean by “dark horse”?

Yeah, I agree with Saylor’s win and disagreed with Mek’s elimination.

5 hours ago, mlp said:

Yeah.  Davey isn't obnoxious like a couple kids in previous seasons but he is my least favorite.  He did have fewer errors than the girl with the awkward name I can't remember though.  She was pretty, I liked her voice and I was sorry to see her go. 

None of the kids bother me but I think Davey should have gone home instead. His plate was really messy, and I wouldn’t have eaten that sauce. It had lots of bacon grease in it.

I’m sure FN producers read boards sometimes. How about just do the twists for the adults and not for the kids because they aren’t fully grown yet? Is that okay?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Simon47 said:

What do you mean by “dark horse”?

I mean that I don't think he is a favorite to win, but I think he might have a chance to surprise everyone. 

1 hour ago, Simon47 said:

None of the kids bother me but I think Davey should have gone home instead. His plate was really messy, and I wouldn’t have eaten that sauce. It had lots of bacon grease in it.

I’m sure FN producers read boards sometimes. How about just do the twists for the adults and not for the kids because they aren’t fully grown yet? Is that okay?

His plate was messy, but the judges did say that everything tasted pretty good. Mekdes' cookies were almost raw according to the judges and everything kind of fell apart, so I don't disagree with the judges. That said, Davey going home would have been 3 boys in a row and I think that was a consideration by the producers.

As I said before, I don't mind the twists. But I do like the idea of maybe giving a twist at the start of the challenge instead of the middle. Kind of like on Chopped where there's a bizarre ingredient in the basket. Makes them do something unique.

• Love 4

I feel the same way as many of you about the twist, particularly this year when some of the kids are so young.  These kids have enough baking experience to meet the original challenge with something they are able to make at least somewhat successfully.  The twists are sometimes things that don't go with the version of the challenge the child is creating.  While a teenager might be able to find a way to fulfill the challenge and the twist, a ten or eleven year old may struggle, become frustrated and upset, because his or her vision of what they've started to make is suddenly incompatible with the twist.  I thought this twist, the sauce to go along with the ice cream sandwich, was one of the easier ones to do, but others have not been so easy to mix with the original challenge, and that seems unfair to me.

• Love 7
On 14/08/2018 at 2:55 PM, mlp said:

Yup, I saw it too and it bugged me to no end. 

• Love 1
On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 9:46 PM, NJKBCFan said:

That said, Davey going home would have been 3 boys in a row and I think that was a consideration by the producers.

It really shouldn't be a consideration.  It is about the best baker, and it shouldn't matter that there were 5 boys in a row.

The thing about those stupid twists is that they always come at the last minute--even an adult would be stumped to incorporate ginger with everything.

• Love 6

I thought it was silly that Davey used whole donuts for both halves of his sandwich, and then seemed surprised when the judges were all "this is sooooo big". Like, dude, Duff's example was literally a donut. And he cut it in fucking half. How to do this is Right.There.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I thought it was silly that Davey used whole donuts for both halves of his sandwich, and then seemed surprised when the judges were all "this is sooooo big". Like, dude, Duff's example was literally a donut. And he cut it in fucking half. How to do this is Right.There.

Some of these kids don't seem to be the sharpest knife in the drawer.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, theatremouse said:

Similarly, didn’t Mekdes slice her cookies in half, where she could have just used whole cookies for the top and bottom of hers?

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, NJKBCFan said:

A few of them are only 10 years old. 

And? It's a televised baking championship for kids who supposedly are the best in the US. We've seen kids with amazing skills in the past. Some of these kids may love baking, but they're not above average in any way. Maybe they shouldn't have a baking competition for kids this young based on the tears in every friggin' episode. Otherwise, give everyone a participation trophy and move on.

• Love 4