Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: Who Once Was Dead

• Start Topic

I definitely didn't need to see Terry fighting again. I hope this is the end of that storyline.

What Lena said was brutal but the truth. Her poor girlfriend was murdered because of the shit that Ray got her into. Sam blaming Ray for it was ridiculous though. He only asked her to do these things because of Sam so she can STFU.

I am not a Bridget fan, but once again she managed to do something I liked this week. I'm glad that she told Ray that she needs to get the hell away from him. On a selfish note, please go away and stay away, Bridget!

As much as I understand Bunchy wanting to give the ransom money to Maria, dude, IT'S NOT YOUR MONEY, so I was all for Ray wresting it from him. I just rolled my eyes when Daryll asked Mickey if he could have a cut of the ransom money.

At first I didn't believe Sandy when she said that the only thing she spent the ransom money on was a present for Maria. I thought she was bluffing so that she could distract Bunchy and escape.

• Love 5

NEVER trust Aunt Sandy.  But I was very glad to see Ray's car pull up, and see him take the money from Bunchy.  I'm very tired of him squalling about "my faaaaammmleeee" over & over.  They aren't his family, they're a psycho girl wrestler and child that may or may not be his. 

So where are Bridget and her boy gonna go?  And with what money?  At least it will get him away from his drug dealer pals.  But I'm curious about the plan.  Also, why was she holding 2 cups of coffee when she went into the Mayoral election office?  And seriously?  Not carded at that bar where she ordered several shots?  She looks about 9, and she can't possibly be 21 yet. 

Susan Sarandon's character is about 25 years too old for an off-the-shoulder taffeta prom dress.  Her character needs to check formals worn by Helen Mirren.  Pure class.  

• Love 8

Didn’t Terry have money when he sold his LA gym?  I thought that is how he got the device implant for Parkinson’s.

Abby’s kniece? Turned him down but he goes to fight anyways?  I can see someone beating him up because of strength but Terry kept taking blows that as an experienced boxer he should have blocked or evaded easily.  Maybe they’re done with his story line, like he’s got nothing going for him other than risk himself for women who turn him down.  Just a couple of seasons ago, it was going to prison for one of Mickeys half-baked capers, so he could run away to Ireland with that nurse.

Ray is being squeezed by several parties but he’s wheeling and dealing, making promises to everyone.  He no longer has loyal people, though I suspect Lena will come around.  He doesn’t have a law firm backing him and he doesn’t have blackmail leverage over key cops and politicians like he had in LA.

And he drinks himself into stupor or has hallucinations which gets him conf8ned to psychiatric hospitals.  At least he’s not seeing Abby’s ghost any more.

So of course he’s going to come out on top of his enemies in the next couple of episodes left in the season.

Wasn’t he suppose to be independently rich by now with the piece of the NFL team he got a couple of seasons ago?

Bridget thinks she has to get away from Ray because she sees a picture of Abby by Terry’s bedside?  Then that makes her knock down probably $200 worth of shots in a Manhattan bar and she comes to this realization?  How quickly is she going to jump down from her high horse when she realizes someone has to pay for her apartment and school?  Is cancer boy going to sell enough drugs for them to start a family?

What year is she in college?  Because she may Benoit even be 21 yet — and the bartender didn’t even card her.  As if she’s been trying to start a family and Ray has stopped her.  How about finishing school and trying to get established in a career first, without racking up a lot of student loans debt if she’s too high and mighty to cont8nue taking Rays money?  Or is she planning to end up like her mother, be a housewife who doesn’t care where the money comes from, until much later when she started bitching about all the cheat8ng?

Edited by scrb
  • Love 1

Nice work by Liev with his eyes twitching throughout the episode to show he was losing his shit.  

I’m also glad Ray got the money back.  Even Daryll was trying to get some.  For f’s sake, this family is a mess.  

Oh Terry.  Who could have seen that coming?  Oh, right - everyone.

• Love 5

Damn, I've always liked Susan, but didn't realize her personal style had gone so far off the rails.  She used to always look age-appropriate, polished & classy.  That bulging cleavage does her zero favors.  The chest skin on older women can get unattractive, thin and spotty.  She's got that problem now, but obviously ignores it.  

And I hate that scraggly hairstyle that so many women seem to be wearing these days.  Not cute and looks like it was cut with hedge clippers.  

26 minutes ago, leighdear said:

Damn, I've always liked Susan, but didn't realize her personal style had gone so far off the rails.  She used to always look age-appropriate, polished & classy.  That bulging cleavage does her zero favors.  The chest skin on older women can get unattractive, thin and spotty.  She's got that problem now, but obviously ignores it.  

And I hate that scraggly hairstyle that so many women seem to be wearing these days.  Not cute and looks like it was cut with hedge clippers.  

She does not choose what to wear on the show, that is the job of the costume designer. She also does not do her own hair and make up. So the staff of this show made those decisions. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DakotaLavender said:

She does not choose what to wear on the show, that is the job of the costume designer. She also does not do her own hair and make up. So the staff of this show made those decisions. 

True about the black prom dress for the show being chosen by others. 

But the link meira.hand posted above is clearly from a red carpet event where Susan Sarandon was being herself, and chose an ill-fitting green velvet gown and choppy hair.  Those are the choices I'm criticizing. 

But as a well known and respected actress, I would bet that if SS had asked for a different, more flattering formal gown to wear in the show, she probably would have been accommodated.  Of course I don't know that for sure, but many stars are allowed that type of input if it doesn't change anything important. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

What Lena said was brutal but the truth. Her poor girlfriend was murdered because of the shit that Ray got her into. Sam blaming Ray for it was ridiculous though. He only asked her to do these things because of Sam so she can STFU.

This is the 'If I told you to jump off the brooklyn bridge, etc etc' thing. Yeah, Ray's as responsible as Winslow. If it weren't for events enacted by Ray... He's basically a co-conspirator.

That aside, the plots in this show really stretch credulity. 

Edited by 100Proof
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, scrb said:

I can see someone beating him up because of strength but Terry kept taking blows that as an experienced boxer he should have blocked or evaded easily.  

Terry's like every northeastern working class boxer in the movies or tv. Defense? What's defense? Seriously, he should have blocked some of the punches, but given that the guy had 8 inches in height and probably 12 inches in reach, Terry had to get close to hit him, which would mean taking at least some punches. 

Good for Lena giving it to Ray. She will be helping him by the end of the season, but I was happy to see her say it this time. 

Can we trade Mick, Bunchy, and either Darryl or Bridge (I think I can take one, but not both) for Avi? 

Edited by Loandbehold
  • Love 7

Wow, Bunchy is in hella good shape to have been able to catch up to a moving car. Either that or adrenaline kicked in.

Ditto comments upthread, is Bridget old enough to be served drinks in a bar or are they just lax about underaged drinking in NYC?

So when that guy bumped Ray in Times Square did he inject him with a hallucinogenic or something?

• Love 1

Bunchy got the money but couldn't leave the Aunt Sandy in Boston?

Too bad for Justine paying the price for Ray's schemes. Lena hit Ray hard with the truth.

I was wrong but I laughed when Ray punched Bunchy. He never wins!

Every time Bridget asked "can you let me go?", I screamed on Ray's behalf: YES! GO! GTFO!

If Terry had won that fight... I might have quit the show!

Was the person playing Marilyn Monroe someone from Ray's past?

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, leighdear said:

True about the black prom dress for the show being chosen by others.

I think that is the same dress that my Barbie circa 1960 had. It was favorite Barbie fashion when I was 8 years old.

This show has become a hot mess. I wasn’t sure if Ray was hallucinating (was Lena really there?), if he was having a nervous breakdown, if he was dreaming, if he was drunk.....and I didn’t even care. 

Bridget is planning to run away with her two bit hoodlum boyfriend and live in marital bliss? Was she not paying attention to her parents’ marriage? 

Had a chuckle seeing Jon Voight in cowboy boots. In my mind it had to be a shoutout to Midnight Cowboy.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, DakotaLavender said:

Who was in that other hospital room next door to Ray? Terry?

I wondered this too. Couldn’t see the face enough to know. 

1 hour ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

I think that is the same dress that my Barbie circa 1960 had. It was favorite Barbie fashion when I was 8 years old.

This show has become a hot mess. I wasn’t sure if Ray was hallucinating (was Lena really there?), if he was having a nervous breakdown, if he was dreaming, if he was drunk.....and I didn’t even care. 

Bridget is planning to run away with her two bit hoodlum boyfriend and live in marital bliss? Was she not paying attention to her parents’ marriage? 

Had a chuckle seeing Jon Voight in cowboy boots. In my mind it had to be a shoutout to Midnight Cowboy.

The Barbie dress was called “In the Spotlight “. I wanted it so much!

15 hours ago, scrb said:

Didn’t Terry have money when he sold his LA gym?  I thought that is how he got the device implant for Parkinson’s.

Abby’s kniece? Turned him down but he goes to fight anyways?  I can see someone beating him up because of strength but Terry kept taking blows that as an experienced boxer he should have blocked or evaded easily.  Maybe they’re done with his story line, like he’s got nothing going for him other than risk himself for women who turn him down.  Just a couple of seasons ago, it was going to prison for one of Mickeys half-baked capers, so he could run away to Ireland with that nurse.

Ray is being squeezed by several parties but he’s wheeling and dealing, making promises to everyone.  He no longer has loyal people, though I suspect Lena will come around.  He doesn’t have a law firm backing him and he doesn’t have blackmail leverage over key cops and politicians like he had in LA.

And he drinks himself into stupor or has hallucinations which gets him conf8ned to psychiatric hospitals.  At least he’s not seeing Abby’s ghost any more.

So of course he’s going to come out on top of his enemies in the next couple of episodes left in the season.

Wasn’t he suppose to be independently rich by now with the piece of the NFL team he got a couple of seasons ago?

Bridget thinks she has to get away from Ray because she sees a picture of Abby by Terry’s bedside?  Then that makes her knock down probably $200 worth of shots in a Manhattan bar and she comes to this realization?  How quickly is she going to jump down from her high horse when she realizes someone has to pay for her apartment and school?  Is cancer boy going to sell enough drugs for them to start a family?

What year is she in college?  Because she may Benoit even be 21 yet — and the bartender didn’t even card her.  As if she’s been trying to start a family and Ray has stopped her.  How about finishing school and trying to get established in a career first, without racking up a lot of student loans debt if she’s too high and mighty to cont8nue taking Rays money?  Or is she planning to end up like her mother, be a housewife who doesn’t care where the money comes from, until much later when she started bitching about all the cheat8ng?

And Bridget was even loaded after drinking all that booze?  I don’t think so. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, DakotaLavender said:

Who was in that other hospital room next door to Ray? Terry?

I think it was a woman, and I think she was actually singing the song we were hearing.  Otherwise I don't think we were supposed to recognize her.

Edited by TexasGal
  • Love 5

Is this the final season? It just seems all so dark. Terry is trying to kill him self via this illegal fighting. Ray is losing his mind. Bunchy is a sniveling mess (more so than his usual sniveling mess) and Bridget thinks she’s getting away from Rays problems and doesn’t even know she’s about ready to marry someone just like her father. Lena seems to be the only person who is growing but I have a feeling she will come thru for Ray when he needs it even though he doesn’t deserve it. I’m not sure how much more I can watch. No one is redeemable. 

And on a shallow side note, Bunchy whining his family neeeeeds the money was just a new low. Hey dude, it’s stolen money that doesn’t belong to you and you’re trying to play it like Ray is stealing from you. I wanted to punch him in the face too. Can they please write this character out at this point, he’s too dumb and too selfish to have lived this long. 

• Love 7

They should have let Ray drown when he followed the vision of Abby off the building.   Stop the show right there. 

This entire New York mess has taken a show I loved and made it one I now dispise.  It's as if the writers all quit and left this season in the hands of a bunch of 11 year-olds.  Nothing makes sense, everybody is annoying and I'd like to see them all stabbed. 

Except for Lena, but even she's displaying too much masochism for me to continue liking her. 

I'll probably watch til the end of this season, but that's it.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 7

My mother taught me how to drive because she had more patience than my dad.  He flew helicopters for the Navy, but was NOT a great driver.  She taught both my brothers too.  And we all have excellent driving records.  

This show is just grasping at straws.  And they aren't even the fun, bendy straws you slurp a great milkshake through.  They're those crappy paper straws that collapse and shred, stuck in an off-brand cheap soda can.  *sigh*

• Love 3
5 hours ago, leighdear said:

They should have let Ray drown when he followed the vision of Abby off the building.   Stop the show right there. 

I said the same thing after last season, that would have been a perfect series ending. But nooooo...they couldn't end our misery there. 

Last night's episode left me so unnerved, the Terry stuff especially, I had a hard time getting to sleep. 

• Love 2

I think Ray is at that age where he's a fixer because it's all he knows. What other legitimate job could he do except bodyguarding and I don't see him doing that. Sometimes people get stuck in jobs they hate because the money is good and it's an identity. Like Terry and his need to box, and Mickey's need to grift (badly).

When Bunchy pulled that bracelet out of the drawer, it crossed my mind that maybe Sandy and Mick had conspired ahead of time to meet in Boston and ditch Bunchy and Marie. That would be low even for Mick, but I wouldn't put it past him.

I watch this show for Liev and always will. He is fabulous.

On 12/16/2018 at 10:03 AM, leighdear said:

...Bridget...Not carded at that bar where she ordered several shots?  She looks about 9, and she can't possibly be 21 yet. 
I believe the legal age in New York is only 18...at least it was back in the 60s. 

On 12/16/2018 at 10:03 AM, leighdear said:

"...Bridget...  And seriously?  Not carded at that bar where she ordered several shots?  She looks about 9, and she can't possibly be 21 yet. 
I believe the legal age in New York is only 18.  At least it was back in the 60s...all the Jerseyans drove over the border to get their alcohol.  At least, that's what I heard...yeah...what I heard. 

2 hours ago, CynicalGirl said:

I said the same thing after last season, that would have been a perfect series ending. But nooooo...they couldn't end our misery there. 

Last night's episode left me so unnerved, the Terry stuff especially, I had a hard time getting to sleep. 

It should have been a 3 season series. It went downhill with the Katie Holmes season, the Albanians, and now this fake race for Mayor.... too preposterous. They should have kept Elliot Gould and wrapped it up tightly. The stories in each season (even with the Abby story line) seem contrived. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, grommit2 said:

"...Bridget...  And seriously?  Not carded at that bar where she ordered several shots?  She looks about 9, and she can't possibly be 21 yet. 
I believe the legal age in New York is only 18.  At least it was back in the 60s...all the Jerseyans drove over the border to get their alcohol.  At least, that's what I heard...yeah...what I heard. 

IRL Bridget (Kerris Dorsey) is 20 years old, she'll be 21 in Jan 2019. Can't find an age for her character portrayal.

The legal drinking age in NYC is 21.

Edited by preeya
On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 7:44 AM, sadie said:

Terry is trying to kill him self via this illegal fighting.

I think Terry has a death wish due to his grieving for Abby.  He can't kill himself so he's looking for someone to do it for him.

And what is up with the older, dressed-up crypt looking lady across the street?  She has to tie into the story somehow.

• Love 3

When I went to school in NYC no bars ever carded us even though the legal drinking age is 21 and we looked like we were 14. They don't really seem to care much there, probably since most student aged people won't be driving around. 

Man they are really beating down Ray, he just can't seem to get a break and also doesn't really seem to care either way. I'm really not sure where this is going to end up now. No one is in a good spot. 

I really want to do a super cut of every time Ray says "what?" It's his default response to any question or statement said to him. 

Now, apparently, Ray is going to from being hospitalized due to psychotic episodes, to functioning well enough in the real world to extract himself from his convoluted messses, all within a few days. Egads, what dreck.

The show peaked at the end of season two, entered gradual decline for a season, and then things accelerated downward, with increasing pace. I'd say we are at terminal velocity now.

• Love 3

I don't know, I have enjoyed this season much more than the previous two.  I think the change in setting has given the show a shot in the arm.  I was tired of the L.A. setting with all the Hollywood stuff.  New York suits this family better.  I like the Bunchy story arc, and the main plot with the chess game between the mayor, Sam Winslow, and internal affairs guy has kept things interesting.  The acknowledgments from Bridget and Lena about how fucked up Ray really is were brutally frank and refreshing.  I've never cared for Bridget, but she is much better this season and you can at least understand why the character is messed up, even if she shares some of the blame.  It's been heartbreaking watching both Bunchy's and Terry's downward spirals, a lot of it caused by the toxic influence of Ray and Mickey.  Darryl is just at the beginning of that journey his brothers have been on for years, and hopefully Mickey dies before he can screw up Darryl's life even  more.

Can someone help?
Why was the mayor staying in the closed bowling alley?  Was he hiding out from someone?  Did he find the opportunity to bowl a few frames a cool way to take a break during a long work day?