Type keyword(s) to search

S37.E12: Are You Feeling Lucky?

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

25 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

What are your thoughts on Alison and Mike? Alison clearly believes Mike is like her tried and true, #1 ally but it seems like Mike doesn't give one shit about her lol.

I think Alison is desperate to stay Goliath strong and is trying to work with Mike but Mike could care less. Christian had an interview were he discussed how Mike meets with everyone.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

No way.  Angelina would win in a landslide.   Don't you know that she sat out a challenge (a puzzle challenge!) to win rice for the tribe?  

I total forgot about that. But that is why she should win the game, because of her great act of self sacrifice and her willingness to martyr herself. I am sure that is something she learned at Stanford and Yale. There is probably a master class on the subject.

16 minutes ago, Drogo said:

Vaguely remember something about this.

It might have been mentioned once. Or twice. Or a few million times. I think my 6 year old is more subtle then Angelina.

• Love 14
18 hours ago, Carolina Girl said:

There was something so refreshingly direct and funny about him.  He didn't have the dramatic ANGST so many of these players try to portray in their talking heads, about what great people they are but they must be savage now and Oh NO, it's killing me to do this.  I think he did genuinely like everyone and he didn't delude himself - unlike the standard line every snot contestant mutters - I think Christian DID come to Survivor to "make friends."

I certainly hope he gets fan favorite.  I know this is one time I'll make sure to vote as many times as I can.  

Gotta love a totally unapologetic nerd.

Edited by Nashville
Unapologetic, not non-apologetic. Need more coffee.
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

What are your thoughts on Alison and Mike? Alison clearly believes Mike is like her tried and true, #1 ally but it seems like Mike doesn't give one shit about her lol.

In truth?  While I don’t think any of the contestants actively dislike Alison, I also don’t think anybody views her as a serious ally and/or competition either.  At this point in the game Alison is simply a decoration - to be used when useful, and put back in the box when not.  Alison is the Shelf Elf of Survivor .

Incidentally, this also makes Alison the perfect goat to take with you to FTC; how many votes to win do you think she’s going to get?  :>

• Love 9

I think Alison is more of the target then Kara because Alison does a bit better in challenges. Nick has something going on with Mike and Angelina so they are not going to be targets. That leaves Alison and Kara. (shrugs)

I don't think Alison is a goat only because I don't think she is all that annoying. She has won at least one immunity challenge and can point tot he fact that she was a target for 3-4 votes. Angelina has a multitude of obvious bad plays and over playing the one thing that she did do, the rice. Alison has managed to survive the change in momentum and perform well enough that the Goliaths on the jury may well vote for her. I think Kara is in the same boat. They can point to playing a more flexible game and going with the flow.

Mike had everyones ear, at least according to Christian's interview. He probably has the best case for winning of the Goliaths. He didn't betray the Goliaths, he maintained a close enough tie with the Davids that they were all talking to him. He orchestrated the Christian vote and finally got Christian out.

But I don't get the feeling that the Goliaths at Ponderosa are angry or bitter and willing to vote for a Goliath just to spite a David. I am hoping that Nick or Davie win this thing. I would like to see some footage of them practicing their fire making skills just in case they get to the final four and don't win immunity.

• Love 3

I don't think Alison is a goat only because I don't think she is all that annoying.

You are to be congratulated on your exemplary levels of tolerance.  

Me, I’d have put her in a shallow grave pre-merge.

Of course, then I’d have starved to death.  For lack of rice.  But I’d have died happy.

ETA: Yeah, I know - Alison, not Aggravina.

Edited by Nashville
She got everybody rice, donchaknow....
1 hour ago, Bryce Lynch said:

No way.  Angelina would win in a landslide.   Don't you know that she sat out a challenge (a puzzle challenge!) to win rice for the tribe?  

Hysterical.  I LOVE Angelina.  She cracks me up!  

17 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

I think Alison is more of the target then Kara because Alison does a bit better in challenges. Nick has something going on with Mike and Angelina so they are not going to be targets. That leaves Alison and Kara. (shrugs)

I agree with this.  She never manages to pull out much but she always seems to come close.   

Alison also said during a tribal council (I think it was this week??) that because she's managed to escape getting voted out so many times, it gives rise to the perception that she is a threat.

I think this is what happened to Christian as well.  

13 minutes ago, Nashville said:

You are to be congratulated on your exemplary levels of tolerance.  

Me, I’d have put her in a shallow grave pre-merge.

Of course, then I’d have starved to death.  For lack of rice.  But I’d have died happy.

LOL I was discussing Alison not Angelina. Alison did not get them rice and is not capable of making a decision on her own.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, ProfCrash said:

LOL I was discussing Alison not Angelina. Alison did not get them rice and is not capable of making a decision on her own.

My bad; after a while, all the ‘A’ names started to run together for me.

:)

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Jextella said:

Hysterical.  I LOVE Angelina.  She cracks me up!  

I agree with this.  She never manages to pull out much but she always seems to come close.   

Alison also said during a tribal council (I think it was this week??) that because she's managed to escape getting voted out so many times, it gives rise to the perception that she is a threat.

I think this is what happened to Christian as well.  

Christian had a killer social game, won an individual immunity challenge, and found an idol. Very different then just surviving votes. I actually think that the way Christian survived a couple of votes might have hurt him in the end because he required other people to physically intervene for him to survive. Then again, he could have argues that his social game helped him in that area. Christian was a legit threat to win. Alison seems to be a threat by default and not a real threat.

• Love 3
Just now, ProfCrash said:

Alison did not get them rice

Only certain individuals have the ability to get rice from Jeff Probst. 

Angelina was able to negotiate the trade because Jeff Probst would've agreed to said anything to make her stop talking.

• Love 6
Just now, Drogo said:

Only certain individuals have the ability to get rice from Jeff Probst. 

Angelina was able to negotiate the trade because Jeff Probst would've agreed to said anything to make her stop talking.

Yeah but she might have learned that from Christian and his 3 hours of blabbing on and on during that one immunity challenge

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

Christian had a killer social game, won an individual immunity challenge, and found an idol. Very different then just surviving votes. I actually think that the way Christian survived a couple of votes might have hurt him in the end because he required other people to physically intervene for him to survive. Then again, he could have argues that his social game helped him in that area. Christian was a legit threat to win. Alison seems to be a threat by default and not a real threat.

For me, I think Christian and Alison have similar resumes when talking tangible things and not getting voted out.  Christian found an idol and Alison did not is just one small difference.  Where Christian takes the lead, and it's a big one, is that he is far more personable.  People like him so much that they would have voted for him for that reason alone.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Jextella said:

For me, I think Christian and Alison have similar resumes when talking tangible things and not getting voted out.  Christian found an idol and Alison did not is just one small difference.  Where Christian takes the lead, and it's a big one, is that he is far more personable.  People like him so much that they would have voted for him for that reason alone.

Agreed, kind of.

Christian was a more outgoing personality then I think anyone anticipated. But that allowed him to develop relationships with Davids and Goliaths. It also made him a target. I think he can also point to the fact that he had a strategy and was actively involved in decisions that knocked out Dan and John. With the John vote, Christian played it cool when Nick told Christian he was the target. He didn't scramble so much that everyone was aware that Christian knew what was happening. And while he did not have a role in the idol play, playing it cool allowed the Goliaths to not worry that Christian knew something was coming and prevented the Goliaths from scrambling or coming up with a back up plan. There are not many players who would play that vote as cool as Christian did.

And Christian did play a role in trying to move the Goliaths to work with the Davids during the Dan vote. Two votes, and possibly a third, went to Alison in part because of the Davids conversations at camp.

Alison seems to get along with everyone but she is not someone people go to talk to about strategy. She is someone that you bring the plan to. Christian was someone to consult with.

That is kind of the difference between Alison and Mike. Mike is someone people go to talk to and who has been shown strategizing. Most of Mike's plans have failed, the Christian plan is one of the few to actually work.

If it had been Christian vs Nick/Davie in the final tribal I would want Nick or Davie to have won because I think they played a better strategic game but I think Christian would have won.

• Love 7
45 minutes ago, himela said:

I bet Christian will be in next season too.

If next season was some kind of second chances or fan favorite season, I would have thought we would have heard about it already, and there would be some kind of fan voting.

I think the only way Christian might be successful in a future season is if he had played the very next season with people who didn't know who he was and the current season hadn't aired yet at the time the next season filmed.  Because in the future, I can't imagine that anyone would let him get that far in the game.  I know it's happened in the past with people like Rob Mariano, but Christian seems like the kind of guy that players would now view as immediately dangerous because of his allegedly superior strategic mind.  It's why in Blood vs. Water the players immediately voted out Rupert's wife because they thought it would demoralise and weaken him, and it was a bonus when he chose to swap with her and went home in her place.

• Love 2
On 12/13/2018 at 8:16 AM, DEL901 said:

And loved how Nick tried to "read the room" like Christian, but failed spectacularly.

I don't think that's accurate.  Both of them were affirmatively told they were being targeted.  Accordingly, both of them played their idol.  I don't buy the notion that christian "read the room."  He was merely mugging for the cameras.  

This was another Meh episode.  Once again, the only reason it appeared suspenseful is because the editing creates a false narrative.  The vote indicates that the same block of five voted together, with davey and christian in the dark about it.  Interestingly, it appears that the leader of this group is likely Mike.  He has an alliance with Nick.  Angelina says she's tight with him.  Allison immediately went to him to tell him Davey's plan.  I would not be surprised to see an Allison, Mike, Angelina finale.  That would be hilarious and interesting.

I don't understand the hostility towards Mike.  He seems like a very affable, gentle guy who is well-liked.  I can't think of anything he's done that would make him a villain.  He's played a very effective game considering he is not the strongest or quickest. 

Somebody sign Angelina up for a TV show.  She is hilarious.  I think I'd be eternally amused (and perhaps a little perplexed) being around angelina.   

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, BarneySays said:

I don't think that's accurate.  Both of them were affirmatively told they were being targeted.  Accordingly, both of them played their idol.  I don't buy the notion that christian "read the room."  He was merely mugging for the cameras.  

This was another Meh episode.  Once again, the only reason it appeared suspenseful is because the editing creates a false narrative.  The vote indicates that the same block of five voted together, with davey and christian in the dark about it.  Interestingly, it appears that the leader of this group is likely Mike.  He has an alliance with Nick.  Angelina says she's tight with him.  Allison immediately went to him to tell him Davey's plan.  I would not be surprised to see an Allison, Mike, Angelina finale.  That would be hilarious and interesting.

I don't understand the hostility towards Mike.  He seems like a very affable, gentle guy who is well-liked.  I can't think of anything he's done that would make him a villain.  He's played a very effective game considering he is not the strongest or quickest. 

Somebody sign Angelina up for a TV show.  She is hilarious.  I think I'd be eternally amused (and perhaps a little perplexed) being around angelina.   

In his RHAP exit interview, Christian said that he was acting when he "read the room" (he knew he needed to use the idol), but not for the TV audience.  He said that about 3 other players had tipped him off about the vote, and he put on that show to try to protect them from suspicion that they had told him.   

I agree about Mike.  He has being doing his best out there and really seems to enjoy playing the game.  I think we tend to get angry with players when they don't help our favorites advance in the game.  

I think Angelina should be the new World's Greatest Boss if they do that remake of "The Office".  She is wonderfully cringey, not realizing that everyone is laughing about her, behind her back.  

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 7
17 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

In his RHAP exit interview, Christian said that he was acting when he "read the room" (he knew he needed to use the idol), but not for the TV audience.  He said that about 3 other players had tipped him off about the vote, and he put on that show to try to protect them from suspicion that they had told him.   

I agree about Mike.  He has being doing his best out there and really seems to enjoy playing the game.  I think we tend to get angry with players when they don't help our favorites advance in the game.  

I think Angelina should be the new World's Greatest Boss if they do that remake of "The Office".  She is wonderfully cringey, not realizing that everyone is laughing about her, behind her back.  

Hmm interesting since I believe we only saw Davie on air telling him.  Did he say who the other two were?  Because three days later everyone wanted him out and nobody told him.

I was curious as to why we weren't shown any scenes of people wondering how Christian knew to play his idol at the beginning of this episode... all we got was "you've got nine lives" or something like that.  It makes sense now if three people had told him, they were all feeling the need to lay low.  I had been expecting a scene of people trying to figure out that it had been Davie who had told Christian and that's why nobody told Davie that they were going to target Christian this vote.  Because surely if Davie had gotten wind of it, he would have played his idol for Christian and not himself?  It would have been spectacular if Davie had played it on Christian, and then in the ensuing revote of the 2-2 Davie/Alison tie, Davie gets voted out.

I agree that Awfulina is cluelessly entertaining (with apologies to the truly hilarious and great Awkwafina).  I am eager to read her post-game interviews.  I wonder if she is going to be unapologetic, or if she is going to claim it is editing.  Or she's going to say something about how "people are afraid of strong women".  Is that what she is?  I kind of wonder if that woman that was eliminated first several seasons ago, So Kim (the one that said she has made every assistant of hers cry), would have been like Angelina.  She seemed just as delusional about her own talents.

5 hours ago, Nashville said:

Incidentally, this also makes Alison the perfect goat to take with you to FTC; how many votes to win do you think she’s going to get?  :>

It's hard to tell. I still think Alison could be a Cheslea type, someone who is a real threat with a legitimate chance to win but none of it was shown because she didn't get a chance to plead her case in the F3 or she could be kind of a nothing player that doesn't get to F3 or gets to F3 but no one cares about her when she's there.

1 hour ago, BarneySays said:

I don't understand the hostility towards Mike.  He seems like a very affable, gentle guy who is well-liked.  I can't think of anything he's done that would make him a villain.

Honestly, for one it's the voice lol. But also, he just comes off like he thinks he's the smartest person in the room and it's insufferable.

[Christian] said that about 3 other players had tipped him off about the vote, and he put on that show to try to protect them from suspicion that they had told him.   

Well, that is very interesting. Did he say who the others were? If not, how annoying!

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

If next season was some kind of second chances or fan favorite season, I would have thought we would have heard about it already, and there would be some kind of fan voting.

I think the only way Christian might be successful in a future season is if he had played the very next season with people who didn't know who he was and the current season hadn't aired yet at the time the next season filmed.  Because in the future, I can't imagine that anyone would let him get that far in the game.  I know it's happened in the past with people like Rob Mariano, but Christian seems like the kind of guy that players would now view as immediately dangerous because of his allegedly superior strategic mind.  It's why in Blood vs. Water the players immediately voted out Rupert's wife because they thought it would demoralise and weaken him, and it was a bonus when he chose to swap with her and went home in her place.

Christian also benefited from the very rare collection of people assembled for this season. A bitchier crew of models and meatheads may not have found him quite so endearing, but this season had people like John, meathead looks on the outside/genuinely affable good guy on the inside, Dan, the former fat guy who still seems to carry that perception of himself, and Kara, the stereotypical "hot" one, the former cheerleader who seems entirely without an egotistical, bitchy side. Plus, he also had his partner in crime, Gabby. Also, the bitchier types (Natalia and Natalie, etc) went home early. He might have been in such a solid social position with a different crew around him.

It might be interesting to see him in a future season to see how he'd fare, but I agree that his legend probably now outweighs his actual game accomplishments.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Drogo said:

It's hard to get a read on Mike's feelings for anyone.  The man gave his own boyfriend a Voldemort hug.

giphy.gif

Yeah - he's either totally afraid of PDA, or has Brian Heidik level amounts of ice water in his veins.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

[Christian] said that about 3 other players had tipped him off about the vote, and he put on that show to try to protect them from suspicion that they had told him.   

Well, that is very interesting. Did he say who the others were? If not, how annoying!

He said it was Angelina, Mike and Nick which is really weird to me because they were the ones who were so gung-ho about getting him out in the first place.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, BarneySays said:

I like him, but can see how others wouldn't.  And he's done well this season.

Angelina would definitely need a co-host if she were to be on an ongoing show.

2 hours ago, blackwing said:

I think the only way Christian might be successful in a future season is if he had played the very next season with people who didn't know who he was and the current season hadn't aired yet at the time the next season filmed.  Because in the future, I can't imagine that anyone would let him get that far in the game.

It would be interesting to find people to participate who haven't watched recent seasons of Survivor.  Maybe dust off all those old applications and see if people are still interested in participating.

45 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

...Kara, the stereotypical "hot" one, the former cheerleader who seems entirely without an egotistical, bitchy side.

I personally wouldn't call Kara stereotypically "hot."  Dare I say it, based on looks alone, Natalia or (gasp) Angelina could fit that description.  Kara is really likable though.  She has a good head on her shoulders, but doesn't over-analyze or get bogged down in unconsequential details, and is pretty good physically.

• Love 1

If Christian ever returned to Survivor it would be on some all stars or fan favorites one and there would be other, bigger fish to fry.  So he would not be some solo ultra big name of that season.  I think he could do quite well if more than half the cast are seen as big kahunas.

• Love 11
On 12/13/2018 at 11:33 AM, Heathrowe said:

I'm not as sad to see Christian go out as I thought I would be. I would have loved for him to make final 3, but people have been gunning for him for episodes and the Carl thing with Gabby was a debacle/big mistake. So that is that. I will say-what beautiful blue eyes on that guy! It's also amazing to me, that he talks a lot but apparently it's not annoying and people seemed to enjoy whatever he had to say. 

That tickled me.  I wouldn't last more than 15 minutes listening to christian.  but being from NY, you meet that kind of verbal diarrhea A LOT.

1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

Honestly, for one it's the voice lol. But also, he just comes off like he thinks he's the smartest person in the room and it's insufferable.

Heh.  Don't ever go to LA.  Your second comment ins interesting.  I don't see that at all.  can you cite an example that stands out to you?

• Love 1
11 hours ago, RedbirdNelly said:

this is just the funniest line ever.

Thank you @RedbirdNelly!

There's something I really like about Christian too that I can't put my finger on. I think the comforting thing is big.  I have no idea how the women on the island felt about it, and I would never pretend to know, but it seemed like they enjoyed being comforted by him.  He seems so kind-hearted and like he doesn't enjoy people being upset.  I would want him to have a chance at Fan Favourite too even though my personal one was Carl.  Carl was hysterical but there was something about Christian that I really appreciated.

I personally agree that Kara is stereotypically hot but of course that's subjective.  She's not my type, I think a lot of us here think Gabby's weirdo looks are really hot instead.  Angelina is okay but her personality ruins it.  The most stereotypically hot person is Nick.  His tan coupled with his blue eyes are ridiculous.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:08 PM, GenerationX said:

A dozen thoughts on episode 12 from 12/12:

1. Everything's coming up 12.  Christian was the 12th person voted out (two were medically evacuated).  12 balls fell before the immunity winner was named.  Probst behaves like he's 12.
  2. Too many idols spoil the alliance-making.  That's why alliances are so fluid in later seasons ... almost everyone has an advantage or an idol.
  3. We didn't see much of Christian this ep, but make no mistake, he will have an entire commercial-to-commercial segment for his jury speech and questioning.
  4. Day 36 with 6 people left and 1 show remaining ... not much time to show anything at camp.  It'll be all immunity challenges and tribal councils.
  5. Allison's nervous tic of checking her pulse in her neck is the only thing endearing about her.
  6. Davie's indecisiveness at the advantage game was typical of no sleep, no way to calculate all of the permutations, and no compelling reason to risk anything.
  7. Angelina's master negotiation skills will come in handy when it comes to deciding who will go to final tribal as she'll no doubt bleat her case.
  8. Nick's flailing with the fake idol find and fake idol play didn't work for me.  He's not as smart as he thinks he is (which, frankly, you could say about most contestants throughout the years).
  9. I think the reward challenge benefits (whatever they may be) are outweighed by being forced to pick people to join you.  The un-chosen will scheme against you.
  10. The shot of all the fish jumping out of the wave crashing near the beach was the cool wildlife shot of this ep.
  11. The vote was anti-climactic after Christian anvilliciously mentioned at tribal council that he was four votes away from receiving the most votes.
  12. I'd be happy with Kara or Davie winning.

...and a partridge in a pear tree.

• Love 2
On 12/12/2018 at 9:47 PM, mishap said:

Why did Mike think, that because he had won immunity, he would have more power?  I know he is safe, but the immunity necklace doesn't make people listen to you more.  I guess he thought he could be more assertive, since he was safe.  

I don't remember what that infamous immunity challenge was, but I will go out on a limb and say there wasn't a chance in hell of Angelina winning it anyway.  So what did she actually give up?  Hmmm?  

I have some gray yoga leggings.   Always a questionable purchase, but even more so now.  lol  

Just my guess. But I don't think Mike really thinks the same way you and I do. I'd guess he views the world as one big comedy screenplay and writes his part as he goes along in order to fit into the emotions of everyone who is there at the time.

So, I'd guess that he just asks himself, "How can I surprise myself and appear to be the most powerful person here today?" Then, he writes the scene for himself in a way that makes him appear to be the star of the show - at least in a wishy-washy kind of way.  I suppose that may be an effective way for him to get around in his life. But I sure would love to give  him such a "smack".  Wouldn't that be such a lovely surprise?

Oh, what a freaking flammook!  I now wake up every morning from a nightmare in which he wins this stupid show. I then find myself saying a prayer to the porcelain god in my bathroom. Oh dear.

6 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

It's hard to tell. I still think Alison could be a Cheslea type, someone who is a real threat with a legitimate chance to win but none of it was shown because she didn't get a chance to plead her case in the F3 or she could be kind of a nothing player that doesn't get to F3 or gets to F3 but no one cares about her when she's there.

Christian said that Davie, Mike, Angelina and Nick all tipped him off.  

10 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

It's hard to tell. I still think Alison could be a Cherlea type, someone who a real threat with a legitimate chance to win but none of it was shown because she didn't get a chance to plead her case in the F3 or she could be kind of a nothing player that doesn't get to F3 or gets to F3 but no one cares about her when she's there.

And there’s always the possibility - probability, even - Alison has been a LOT more active behind the scenes than any of us know, and it’s simply been edited out.  

Insofar as We The Viewers have pretty much zero chance of knowing how much that might or might not be the case, though, I decided a while back to simply not worry about it.  :)

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I think Angelina should be the new World's Greatest Boss if they do that remake of "The Office".

If you also cast Napalm Natalie as the crosstown rival manager - the one for whom all her employees have "literally" taken a bullet.

22 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

I am a bit surprised that Probst has not been bragging about this season because it is gold. Maybe he has learned that people get concerned when they hear Probst says he loves a season. I see that as code for "Russell Hantz or a Russell Hantz wanna be is going to be playing and it is amazing."

Too funny and too true.

As to who's left, the only winner that would truly shock me would be Angelina who seems like a classic Goat.  Or actually even more shocking would be Allison - I assume Allison is out of the running because we've hardly seen her. ( The only winner who was hardly seen was Natalie White, because she won over Russell Hantz and production was so concerned with showing us as much Russell as they could cram into every episode that they forgot that the audience might like to see what the winner  did to win.)  Mike would be a surprise, but not a shock.  It seems like to me like it's between Nick, Kara, and Davey and I don't feel lucky enough myself to hazard a guess there.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, BarneySays said:

That tickled me.  I wouldn't last more than 15 minutes listening to christian.  but being from NY, you meet that kind of verbal diarrhea A LOT.

Heh.  Don't ever go to LA.  Your second comment ins interesting.  I don't see that at all.  can you cite an example that stands out to you?

I would find Christian tiring as well.  Anyone else remember a reality dating show called “Average Joe”?  The contestant was this blonde bombshell who thought she was on a Bachelorette-like show.  Except all of the guys competing for her were average joes, everyday people with average looks and body (of course, that is until midway through when they brought in a group of stereotypical good looking bros)m to add to the mix.  

There was this one average joe contestant named Tariq (?) who kept spouting off these faux-intellectual lines like “it is the simplicity of your complexity that is the catalyst of my infatuation”.   She ate it up.  I feel like Christian is like that guy.  Trying to impress people with his vaunted intelligence.

As far as examples of Christian thinking he is the smartest in the room... there are more than a few.  The tribal council when he was talking about some scientific theory, I forget what it was specifically but something about physics I think.  The Alec-eliminating challenge where he took it upon himself to become the condescending Master Storyteller.  For me it’s the tone of his voice.  He seems to have two voices... a normal voice and then the I Am So Much Smarter Than You Peons nerd voice.  The nerd voice disappeared at times so I feel like the whole persona is a tired act.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

As to who's left, the only winner that would truly shock me would be Angelina who seems like a classic Goat.  Or actually even more shocking would be Allison - I assume Allison is out of the running because we've hardly seen her.

As it stands, I honestly think Angelina could turn things around to win.  Just one person singing her praises at Ponderosa or a killer final TC speech could separate her enough from Mike and Alison, should they be the other options.

In that scenario, Alison is still where my money is.  We've seen her too much IMO, with endless references to her resume, big moves (which she never makes), and "this game."  It's not because of that why I think she'd win, but because I don't see Angelina pulling a 180, nor Mike convincing the jury that he needs a million dollars.

Or of course Kara could win immunity/firemaking (I'm unclear on which at this point) and then any of those three wouldn't win overall.  If they're smart, and player sentiment matches viewer sentiment, Nick and Davie will be ousted ASAP.

1 hour ago, blackwing said:

As far as examples of Christian thinking he is the smartest in the room... there are more than a few.  The tribal council when he was talking about some scientific theory, I forget what it was specifically but something about physics I think.  The Alec-eliminating challenge where he took it upon himself to become the condescending Master Storyteller.  For me it’s the tone of his voice.  He seems to have two voices... a normal voice and then the I Am So Much Smarter Than You Peons nerd voice.  The nerd voice disappeared at times so I feel like the whole persona is a tired act.

I don't remember the TC physics thing either (just the poached egg thing lol), but as to the challenge: 1) he talked to alleviate pain (I think it was Carl who he reassured that talking was helpful) and 2) relaying information is not, in and of itself, condescending.  The guy had an opportunity to talk to Jeff Probst for hours and make the best of an uncomfortable situation.  The other contestants even joined in.  Do you have reason to believe that they knew anything about his robotics research before he told his stories?  I doubt it.

Christian is a professor.  There are certain expectations for someone who is being paid to teach at that level.  Don't you talk differently in a work environment compared to informally with your friends?  Or mother-in-law vs brochachos :D

So I'd grant that he may very well have a "professor mode."  I'd have to re-watch, but maybe you're interpreting a more formal professorial tone as a "nerd voice."  That's a far cry from being an act for the show or a "So Much Smarter Than You" attitude.  Again, one can convey information without thinking they are more intelligent than whoever they are talking to.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Mark2 said:

In that scenario, Alison is still where my money is.  We've seen her too much IMO, with endless references to her resume, big moves (which she never makes), and "this game."  It's not because of that why I think she'd win, but because I don't see Angelina pulling a 180, nor Mike convincing the jury that he needs a million dollars

Sorry but I totally disagree about Alison.  We have been TOLD she is a big threat.  We haven't SEEN any indication of it.  She SAYS she will make big moves.  Other than simply rat out Davie's plan to Mike because she wants Mike to include her in his reindeer games -- which then is hardly a big move -- she has made zero moves we have seen.  She is an immunity threat we are told?  Huh?  She won one.  Others remaining have done just as well or better.  In none of these cases have we the viewers actually seen any of this.  You don't edit a winner with just "hearsay" clips.  It would be the worst editing in editing history if she came out of nowhere for us viewers and won. 

All we see is she is a target endlessly but, unlike Christian, we never see WHY she is a target.  If she really is the winner this whole surviving as a target wouldn't just be a butt of a running joke but more a heroic edit of outwitting, outplaying and outlasting.  It isn't.

Kara also isn't edited into being there playing the game much either.  I can't see either of those two winning.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, green said:

Sorry but I totally disagree about Alison...You don't edit a winner with just "hearsay" clips.  It would be the worst editing in editing history if she came out of nowhere for us viewers and won. 

...If she really is the winner this whole surviving as a target wouldn't just be a butt of a running joke but more a heroic edit of outwitting, outplaying and outlasting...Kara also isn't edited into being there playing the game much either.  I can't see either of those two winning.

Hmmm...food for thought.  I can't say I've watched Survivor enough to pick a winner based on editing, but I couldn't blame the editors if none of the F3 gave them enough gold to work with.  And they still have the first half or more of the finale to paint anyone as a contender.  Alison, and Kara to some extent, may not stand out, but do stand out more so than Mike and Angelina.

You got me thinking more that Nick or Davie made it into the final three and pull off the win, if the edit hasn't been consistent with an Alison or Kara win that is.

9 minutes ago, Mark2 said:

Hmmm...food for thought.  I can't say I've watched Survivor enough to pick a winner based on editing, but I couldn't blame the editors if none of the F3 gave them enough gold to work with.  And they still have the first half or more of the finale to paint anyone as a contender.  Alison, and Kara to some extent, may not stand out, but do stand out more so than Mike and Angelina.

You got me thinking more that Nick or Davie made it into the final three and pull off the win, if the edit hasn't been consistent with an Alison or Kara win that is.

Oh Angelina and Mike stand out and usually for all the wrong reasons.  Mike's been the weasel, shit stirrer all season long blowing up everyone else's game and has a lot of confessionals as well.  And who can't wait to rush to the all-in-one mega superstore to buy Angelina's Instant Rice right next to the used jackets section.  You can pay in tarps and cushions.

Basically what I am saying is I will totally forget there ever was a Kara or an Alison in the cast this season.  And that's even if one of them wins.  They are not the least memorable the way they have been edited.  And given how Alison has survived vote after vote they could have gone all in on an edit of her being this season's spunky little likeable cockroach you can't ever kill off but they never have.

Edited by green
  • Love 6
On 12/14/2018 at 6:26 PM, BarneySays said:

Everyone is LA talks like Mike?! I try not to be rude about voices since people can't help it usually and also because I have a really shitty voice lol, but Mike is hard to listen to. I feel bad, but it is what it is! Also, I don't have one example, it's just in, like, everything he says pretty much. I'd say the biggest example of it was when he was initially trying to get Christian out and it was abundantly clear to me it was because he was threatened by Christian being smart because he thought he'd be the smart guy. He was mad jealous imo. It might have been subconscious on his part.

• Love 3
On 12/12/2018 at 8:11 PM, Lantern7 said:

he did say "guestimate," which . . .  no. "Estimate" implies guessing, I shouldn't have to feel like Grammar Fascist for pointing that out.

I hate it when people say  "guesstimate." 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I'd say the biggest example of it was when he was initially trying to get Christian out and it was abundantly clear to me it was because he was threatened by Christian being smart because he thought he'd be the smart guy. He was mad jealous imo. It might have been subconscious on his part.

Yes, I remember feeling irritated by that too.  He said something like, I've realized that Christian is a threat because he's almost as smart as I am, which - well, seriously.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Everyone is LA talks like Mike?! I try not to be rude about voices since people can't help it usually and also because I have a really shitty voice lol, but Mike is hard to listen to. I feel bad, but it is what it is! Also, I don't have one example, it's just in, like, everything he says pretty much. I'd say the biggest example of it was when he was initially trying to get Christian out and it was abundantly clear to me it was because he was threatened by Christian being smart because he thought he'd be the smart guy. He was mad jealous imo. It might have been subconscious on his part.

I thought Mike wanted Christian out because he realized Christian was a better , smarter, more charming version of himself who would beat him.  I found that analysis to be accurate and it showed a lot of self awareness and humility.

• Love 5
On 12/12/2018 at 9:16 PM, cleo said:

The Davids did it to themselves, watching the last few eps, after that high when they finally had the numbers, was like watching a tragedy, seeing how their decisions one by one were their undoing.

I am very late in my response. I was not home last Wednesday and knew Christian was voted out and couldn’t bear to watch. I was as sad as I thought I’d be. 

I totally agree with above. After that, I knew it was only a matter of time for Christian. 

15 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Yes, I remember feeling irritated by that too.  He said something like, I've realized that Christian is a threat because he's almost as smart as I am, which - well, seriously.

I remember the 'almost as smart as me' line, too. Mike came off very jealous of Christian that first time he tried to target him. I think that was when a lot of people hopped onto the 'Mike's the worst!' train. I really wanted to like Mike, but he sucks lol. I do kinda hope he's in the F3 though because I think he truly believes he could win when imo that is not even a remote possibility so I look forward to him realizing he's a goat.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 3