Type keyword(s) to search

S37.E12: Are You Feeling Lucky?

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Just now, nutty1 said:

Why has no one ever viewed Kara as a threat?

Because we have not seen her initiate pretty much anything. The only thing that I can point to Kara and say "That was her idea" was the Dan vote and even then she supplied some hints in the form of falling anvils but never flat out said "Dan has a second idol." Kara has been floating since the John vote and has been working with who ever approaches her for her vote but she has initiated nothing. So she is a pawn who has not won anything and is not really a threat.

28 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

Because we have not seen her initiate pretty much anything. The only thing that I can point to Kara and say "That was her idea" was the Dan vote and even then she supplied some hints in the form of falling anvils but never flat out said "Dan has a second idol." Kara has been floating since the John vote and has been working with who ever approaches her for her vote but she has initiated nothing. So she is a pawn who has not won anything and is not really a threat.

How is that much different from Sandra at HvV? 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, kikaha said:

How is that much different from Sandra at HvV? 

We saw Sandra working with people in her alliance and strategizing with people. There is a difference between "anyone but me" and "pawn." Sandra tried to tell the Hero's that Russell was playing them and they ignored her. She wasn't going to vote against the majority but she tried to shift who they voted for. The fact that the people she was trying to work with are idiots is not her fault. It also helped that Russell is a horrible human being and Parvati was perfectly willing to go along with Russell's bullying. So Sandra could spend her time at final tribal going "I told you so. You didn't listen. If you had listened to me you could have been here but you ignored everything I said." And her competition played one of the worst social games in the history of Survivor.  Toss in that Sandra convinced Russell that she wasn't a threat, when she totally was an everyone knew it, and she demonstrated that she could manipulate the person who saw himself as a manipulator.

Kara cannot tell anyone that she tried to shift anything, because she didn't. And the people she is playing against are not awful human beings. Angelina is an entitled brat who is annoying but she can at least point to things she tried to do. And she has the rice (eye roll). Mike can point to moves that he made and the fact that he was socially connected to both sides. Kara was a vote.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

Angelina is an entitled brat who is annoying but she can at least point to things she tried to do. And she has the rice (eye roll). Mike can point to moves that he made and the fact that he was socially connected to both sides. Kara was a vote.

I disagree that Kara has made fewer moves than Angelina. To me, Angelina is the ultimate "just a vote." She's been nothing but a vote for a majority alliance since the merge. Kara at least tried to cross over to the Davids (with the Angelina vote when Dan was sent home). Kara actively separated herself from Dan, arguably her closest ally or perceived closest ally. We don't know what she told Dan about playing his idol the night he went home.

In this season of floaters, I'd argue Kara was an active floater, in the same way Mike is an active floater. Alison is a passive floater. Angelina left the Goliaths (where she was a vote) and went to the Davids (where she was a vote). She talks to Mike, but I don't think I've seen her have one conversation with Alison or Kara since she flounced from that alliance.

We've seen Kara get approached about plans to shake things up, by people trying to make moves (she and Alec flipped, Davie came to her with the "blindside Nick" plan). Since the Goliath implosion, I've seen nobody approach Angelina except to tell her the expected vote (i.e., nobody wanting to do something unexpected has approached her. The Gabby vote was a contingency plan).

Alison's like a challenge beast of yore, but she's (gasp!) a woman. Not very strategic with her waffling and her floating, but athletic, and thus perceived as a threat -- rightly or not (same as Jeff Probst's beloved beefcakes). And Alison also seems to be well-liked, just as Angelina is.

Angelina has done the littlest since the merge, I'd argue, except go along with the assumed majority and talk a lot about her perceived accomplishments. She's not hated, she's not a villain, but while she's a big character, I'd argue her actual game -- physical, social, strategic -- has been the smallest of anyone.

• Love 2

Mike was active in trying to keep the Goliaths together and then masterminded the vote that got Christian out.

Angelina is doing something, she did replace Gabby in the Carl, David, Nick alliance. I suspect there is more to her game then we are seeing. I think that Angelina has something going on with Mike and Nick. I don't think Angelina has played a good game or that she has a chance of winning but she does appear to have more connections to people then Kara.

Kara made her move too late to be taken seriously by the Davids.

I mean, we have seen so little of Alison or Kara's game that it is hard to know what they have done.

• Love 1