Type keyword(s) to search

S37.E12: Are You Feeling Lucky?

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

11 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

Davie is super game smart. He is the only person to figure out that Nick’s second idol was bogus. 

Clarification, please?   I've seen several references to Davy figuring out that the 2nd idol was bogus. But I'm sure I  saw Nick TELL him it was bogus, no "figuring" involved.  That was the point where David changed his mind about voting Nick out because suddenly Nick was being "truthful" again.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Skycatcher said:

Clarification, please?   I've seen several references to Davy figuring out that the 2nd idol was bogus. But I'm sure I  saw Nick TELL him it was bogus, no "figuring" involved.  That was the point where David changed his mind about voting Nick out because suddenly Nick was being "truthful" again.

Unless we were shown events out of order, Davie had the Second-Idol's-Fake nut cracked long before Nick approached him with it, so much so that Davie already had a 4 person plan in place to vote against Nick.  

• Love 13

There is a confessional at the beginning of the episode, after Nick found the idol and Davie heard about it, where Davie clearly says, paraphrasing here, I know Nick has an idol, maybe Nick made a fake idol and hid it with that note. Then Davie goes out and searches for the idol. The one that Nick supposedly had but Davie didn't believe that he had. The one that Davie found and went and got. I did not see the Davie and Nick conversation, I managed to delete the episode before I saw that. So if Davie and Nick discussed it, it was after I deleted the episode.

• Love 4

As many have said, the Davids made a fatal mistake voting out Carl when they did.  They keep thinking the tribe divisions don't count anymore but I believe they do.  The remaining Goliaths are smart enough to know that David jurors may vote tribally.  Their best chance of winning would be an all Goliath final three.  I can only hope immunity challenges prevent that.  I think Davie has been incredibly smart and underestimated through out the game.  I would like him to win, followed by Nick.  However, my fear is that the Goliaths on the jury will be upset that the weaker Davids prevailed and may well vote for one of their own.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, blackwing said:

Could Angelina possibly get any more irritating?  I always loathe the reward challenges where the winner gets to pick one (oh wait, you get another... oh wait, pick one more too) and we get shots of the groveling.  I just can’t stand the groveling.  But Angie took it to the next level.   

First, the pleading eyes and the hands clenched in prayer.  Davie picks Nick as a thank you for picking him at the last reward.  “We both picked you Davie!”  STFU!!!!!   Then a pleading of her case.  “I just have to say something.  I got us the rice.”  STFU!!!!!!!!!!!  So happy he didn’t pick her.     

She was POURING sweat as she begged, she's just so over the top. But she's entertaining, it cracks me up that she just can't help herself. Of the trio of her, Alison, Mike, she's the only one I'd want to see in the F3 only because I think her FTC pitch would be a hoot.

Let's be honest Angelina, you had a super slim chance of winning that challenge anyway.  So you likely didn't sacrifice anything at all.  And after your stupid attempt at negotiating almost everything right off the bat, it should have been you that sat out in exchange for the rice.  So please stop now. 

Lol, remember Will from a few seasons ago who was dead last in every challenge? Like, barely got off the starting line by the time someone else had won, but he tried to barter his "chance at immunity" in exchange for something from Jeff. Hilarious. Has Angelina come close to winning an individual immunity yet? 

12 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Nick is starting to remind me of Matthew McConaughey ... or however you spell it. 

I'm getting shades of Travis Fimmel on Vikings. 

12 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Why did Davie share the reward with Kara?  I missed his whole loyalty pledge to her.  How has Kara been looking out for Davie this whole time?  Can someone explain?

I think that was just kind of his cover story. But I believe he thought Kara would be one most amenable to trying to get Nick out. So he saw an opportunity to talk to her about it. 

12 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

But they all fell for it minus Davie, even SuperGenius Christian, and nOBODY voted for him.  It was a great play actually.  When he told the truth to Davie it also sealed Davie's loyalty to him.

Yea, I was actually surprised how quickly Davie was all, "Okay, I no longer want to get him out." 

12 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I was afraid Nick was going to go home with an idol in his pocket.  When Angelina told him he probably didn't need to use it, I figured you should always do the opposite of what she says, so I wanted him to use it.  Anyway, it is better to use an idol and not need it, than to need it and not use it

I agree with this 100%. I'd rather "waste" my Idol than be sent home when I could have used one. Maybe he'll re-find it next week. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Ellee said:

Question.  What should Nick be thinking now that Mike’s intel of Davie pushing for a Nick vote was ‘wrong’ as he got no votes?  Does he question Mike or Davie or both?  

1 hour ago, marys1000 said:

Of course Mike just out and out lied to Nick geezus!  I hope Nick finds out.   It makes me wonder about their alliance and how Nick didn't even question what Mike said. 

54 minutes ago, marys1000 said:

Isn't that backwards?  I'll rewatch and report back but I think it was the scene of Nick telling Davie about the fake idol, Davies narrated thoughts on feeling right with Nick again since Nick told him about it, then Davie doubling down with Nick on I'm not flipping on you.  So then Davie votes for Allison

Then Mike cornerning Nick on the beach - hey Davie is gunning for you, Nick all pissed off, especially after telling him about the fake idol.  

I agree that Mike did not lie.  Davie was in fact gunning for Nick and told Kara that he wanted him, Christian, Kara and Alison to vote out Nick.  But don't tell Mike or Angelina because they would spill the beans.  So of course Alison told Mike.  Mike believed that Davie's plan was to vote out Nick.

Then, Nick admits to Davie that the second idol was fake so Davie trusts Nick again and decides that he wants to vote out Alison.  We didn't see any scenes of Davie going back to Kara and Alison to say that Nick was no longer the target.

Then we get the scene of Mike telling Nick that Davie is gunning for him.  I'm skeptical about the order of the scenes... I guess there's no reason to believe they were shown out of order, but would it be possible for the Nick admission scene to have happened after Mike told him Davie was after him?  It seems like it would be more natural that way.  Because it changes the way events are portrayed.  The way it aired makes it look like that Mike was in control of that vote... Mike ended up getting what he wanted because he sowed seeds of distrust from Nick as to Davie.  I kind of feel like Nick would have said something, "I just talked with Davie and he told me he trusts me"

I don't get why we weren't shown any scenes of Davie deciding what to do after he decided that Nick was no longer the target.  Did we see him trying to convince Nick and Kara to vote out Alison?  I guess Alison is such a nonentity to me, she thinks that she is always on the cusp of making a big move.  I guess Nick should thank her, she spilled to Mike about the Nick vote and now Davie seems screwed.

The logical next boot would seem to be Davie.  I think it looks to me like Mike/Angelina are going to control whether it is Nick or Davie, and Mike seems way closer to Nick than he is to Davie.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, ladymon said:

Anyone else see that end shot of the snuffed out torch and think of the silent clock?  Honk if you know what I'm talking about.....

Honk!  The silent clock on "24" was most notably used for important/significant sacrifices or deaths.  If you're a Christian fan, I get that one might view his elimination as the most significant of the season.  But frankly, I was sick of the guy, and the constant over-the-top Deification of Christian by the editors.  It was just too much.

• Love 7

I was kind of surprised by the lack of edit on Christian's swan song. I guess they wanted to hide the fact that he was getting voted out. Although, it's kind of odd that since Episode 1 he's been the focal point and narrator. Usually, the person getting voted out is shown a lot in their final episode. Christian had the exact opposite. They showed more of Davie, Mike & Allison. I liked Christian because he was sooooooo different. That said, I don't know if I need to see him return. I don't see him mixing up his game and I can't see others keeping him in the game.

• Love 6

I think they were trying to hide his exit by making him less a part of the episode and hoping that people would buy into the Davie or Nick thing.

I just watched the part that I missed. All the last bunch of episodes show me is that the Davids were never a united front. It was clear int he two big votes that they worked together was simply because they could not get the Goliaths to work with any of them.  As soon as the Davids were able to change that, they went to war with each other. It is fascinating to me that all of the Davids were able to find some Goliath that they were comfortable working with but not find a way to unify as a group.

When it gets down to it the Davids never got past the Jessica vote. Davie and Carl never got past the original Jessica vote and the trust issues that came from it. Carl was gung ho for getting out Elizabeth because of the Jessica vote. Carl would keep Gabby just long enough to get the numbers where he felt safe and then would go after Gabby. Why? Because Carl saw Elizabeth and Gabby as responsible for the Jessica vote. God forbid the two of them protect a member of their alliance and take out Jessica. Davie held more of a grudge then I think we give him credit for. Davie did nothing to try and save Elizabeth, probably because of the Jessica vote. He was willing to work with Alec to take out Natalia in the swap tribe, but just to get number for he and Carl. I suspect if that tribe had gone back to tribal, Elizabeth would have gone home. Davie's comment that Nick was no longer on the block because Nick told him the truth, simply screams that Davie was holding onto the Jessica vote and Nick being a part of that blindside.

Christian and Gabby were a tight two but on the bottom of the merge Davids. Carl fully targeted Elizabeth and Gabby, putting Christian on the defensive because of numbers and then because his number one ally was threatened.

What is weird is that the biggest schemers ended up on the David tribe while the Goliaths seemed to be more unified and unable to see why they needed to work outside that group. And now the schemers on the Davids have shot themselves in the foot by not seeing past one vote and have severely handicapped themselves. Nick was an idiot to vote out Christian. Hell, Nick was an idiot for not listening to Angelina who flat out told him he didn't need to use an idol.

I have no clue why Davie didn't just talk to Nick or why Nick didn't talk to Davie sooner. Nick is a far more emotional player then Davie, he was pissed that Davie targeted him and that he did so during the reward. It is all personal to Nick. Where as Davie sees everything as a game but he held onto past slights so that he wouldn't get bit by the same people twice. And it bit them both in the ass.

I don't think Alison is a huge threat, she strikes me more as a goat, but they talked about Alison as a threat. At least taking out Alison gives the Davids some more breathing room for making it a step further. The Goliath's could care less, knocking out the Davids is what they wanted to do anyway. And not the Davids helped the Goliaths take out the real Goliath threats in terms of immunity challenges, idol finds, and the like.

It is kind of amazing how one vote from the beginning of the game continues to echo.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, mojoween said:

I really hope that Davie talks about fried chicken all day every day because otherwise Nick clapping him on the shoulder when Jeff said “fried chicken” was a tad unseemly.

Balls drop at the same time and I am sure Davie is thrilled about that.

It's almost like you were in our living room last night hearing our conversations while watching.  Mr. ShaNaeNae told me to rewind the fried chicken part.  We were like, "I really hope he was excited about that and it wasn't edited that way".

And he couldn't stop cracking up at all the ball talk.  "Balls are rolling" "Balls are inching" "He lost a ball" "His balls dropped!"

Angelina, shut up you nasty teachers pet.  Something tells me if she finds a man to put up with her one day she'll remind him all the time how she gave him sex 2 weeks ago and he owes her.  Kids? "Remember that time I made you and birthed you?  Since I did that, you owe me..."

Bye Christian.  I got a little choked up seeing your torch being snuffed.  Class to the end.  And you missed being tied as the top of most votes by 1.  

24 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

I was kind of surprised by the lack of edit on Christian's swan song. I guess they wanted to hide the fact that he was getting voted out. Although, it's kind of odd that since Episode 1 he's been the focal point and narrator. Usually, the person getting voted out is shown a lot in their final episode. Christian had the exact opposite. They showed more of Davie, Mike & Allison. I liked Christian because he was sooooooo different. That said, I don't know if I need to see him return. I don't see him mixing up his game and I can't see others keeping him in the game.

We said the same.  3/4 of the way through I realized we're missing Christian.  Nothing all episode so was shocked as hell he was voted out.  

• Love 1
Just now, ShaNaeNae said:

Something tells me if she finds a man to put up with her one day she'll remind him all the time how she gave him sex 2 weeks ago and he owes her.

Angelina is married to a soldier in the U.S. Army. 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, wallflower75 said:

*weeping* I knew when Davie played his idol for himself that Christian was gone.  Now who the heck am I supposed to be rooting for?  (Davie, I guess?)

Dear Angelina, you were a terrible negotiator who tried to give everything away for rice.  You're lucky Jeff only asked you to sit out a challenge.  If he'd taken everything you offered, they'd have nothing but rice and be more miserable than they are now having to listen to you talk about how you sacrificed ONE IMMUNITY CHALLENGE THAT YOU WEREN'T GONNA WIN ANYWAY for rice.  So please shut up.  Kthanks.

FTFY. Also, does she not remember Brenda, who gave up a loved one's visit for her entire tribe and they turned right around and voted her out. I loved that Davie ignored her.

DuTIO6kWsAIEQJK.jpg

Although why do I feel like she will make F3 (she's the perfect goat in my book but I hate goats). But I'm sure she'll remind the jury all about the major sacrifice she made: Jury? Jury? Rice? Remember? Rice? Jury? Please? 

Could Jeff have said "balls" any more times? 

I was really, really hoping for a Nick, Davie, Christian F3, but that would have been too much like right for the Survivor gods to allow.

So I am rooting for Nick and/or Davie to make F3 and so long as one of them wins, I'll be a happy girl, although I would give the edge to Davie with his super-Spidey senses this season.

It stinks that Nick and Davie wasted his idol and I was so hoping Davie would play his for Christian or that Nick would have voted for Allison, but it struck me, watching him (Christian) that it's almost as if he knew his time in the game was up.

I can't believe there's only one episode left.

• Love 2

Christian is adorable.

That said, it was pretty obvious to me that he was gonna get voted out this week.  Or at least, that if he didn't get voted out this week, the remaining Survivors are a lot stupider than I thought. He was obviously the biggest threat. I would have liked to know the story behind Mike's change of vote, though.

I think Angelina is adorable, too. She reminds me of my cat who's entirely brazen: know you just fed me 15 minutes ago, but really, you should consider feeding me again because I want to get fed and I'm not embarrassed about announcing that very loudly!

From my perspective, the deal with Alison is that the game has taken so much out of her physically that she really doesn't have much stamina left. To me, she looks like she's right on the verge of some life-threatening electrolyte imbalance. I think her problems focusing are not bad gameplay but complete exhaustion.

I love Nick, too (and whoever said he was a dead ringer for Matthew McConaughey is so-o-o-o right on), but I'll be shocked if he isn't voted out next week.

To me, right now the three strongest players seem to be Davey, Kara and Angelina. In fact, anyone would want to take Angelina to the Final Two or Final Three (do we know which?) because they figure she'd alienate the jury by being pushy, obnoxious and demanding in the Here's-Why-You-Should-Vote-fo-ME speech.

• Love 5

Oh....so much this episode.

I'm not as sad to see Christian go out as I thought I would be. I would have loved for him to make final 3, but people have been gunning for him for episodes and the Carl thing with Gabby was a debacle/big mistake. So that is that. I will say-what beautiful blue eyes on that guy! It's also amazing to me, that he talks a lot but apparently it's not annoying and people seemed to enjoy whatever he had to say. 

Nick-I hope he wins. I think I kind of like that his game is a bit more emotional, but it's still smart. I don't understand why he told everyone that the idol he "found" under the raft was fake? Why not just keep it to yourself-that's a bit of trickery that now everyone knows you have in you. Or was that "resume-building" in action? I think resume-building is the most annoying part of the game, but I guess they feel it's necessary for finale.

Angelina-for Pete's sake-I wish they had voted her out after she got them the rice and sat out the immunity challenge. That would have been AWESOMELY MEAN. It is ridiculous to me that she is still trying to get leverage on that. One-it's just rice. TV production is not really going to let anyone starve to death out there. She acts like she singlehandedly brought home a brontosaurus for them all to eat. Also-there's a weird, thin line between begging and bullying. She really expects to get her way.

Davy-I am not sure I could have been as strong and gracious as he was when facd with Angelina's begging/bullying for the reward. Also-his distrust of Nick's 2nd idol and his continuing to look for the idol was really great. He is no slacker. I mentioned a few episodes that I thought Survivor really agreed with Nick's looks-that a tan and the Survivor diet was making him more handsome. Well-same for Davy last night! His skin was positively glowing. He looks good! Also, he's so engaging and enjoying of the game, he's fun to watch.

People who are not fun to watch-

Mike. Alison. Kara. 

Kara-maybe she is not getting enough credit but there's flying low to the radar and then there is flying completely invisibly. Who are you, girlfriend?

Alison - has no original thoughts, no agency of her own. A bold move is blabbing to Mike. I hope she or Angelina goes home next week, but I doubt my wish will be granted. She and Mike will probably slither into F3. 

Mike - not as smart as he thinks, but smart enough to glom onto Nick. I wonder if they will tell us next week if he and Nick had a plan, and that's why they split their votes? Or was everyone just going rogue and doing whatever?

Interesting episode. At the end of the day-this is harsh-but Gabby really blew it for the David's. Or maybe Carl blew it by not including Gabby. But that was the end of most of their hopes.

• Love 7

Many posters have mentioned that they would like to see Gabby and Christian on the Amazing Race.  Not me-I would love to see Nick and Davie on the Amazing Race.  The two of them are really strategic-the saves they came up with for Christian and the understanding they have of the pros and cons of various moves.  Loved the scene of Davie talking out the possibilities of the advantages and disadvantages of "gambling" with his vote.  What sadden me was that Davie did not anticipate anyone telling Nick about his plan to vote Nick out-which was ironic as Davie told Christian about the plan to vote him out at the prior TC.  However, I am enjoying the moves and countermoves that the survivors plan when they catch word of something that doesn't fit their personal game plans.  

I would really like seeing Davie and Nick as part of the F3.  Hopefully they will work together again.  It is so very interesting how one move has many unintended consequences-the Jessica vote early in the game and Gabby's plan to vote out Christian.  Well, one thing is for sure-this season is amazing.  I really never know what to expect in any episode.  My only problem is that there is only one episode left!!!  I wish they would have allowed another episode so we could enjoy how things are playing out a bit more.

• Love 12
48 minutes ago, ShaNaeNae said:

It's almost like you were in our living room last night hearing our conversations while watching.  Mr. ShaNaeNae told me to rewind the fried chicken part.  We were like, "I really hope he was excited about that and it wasn't edited that way".

And he couldn't stop cracking up at all the ball talk.  "Balls are rolling" "Balls are inching" "He lost a ball" "His balls dropped!"

Angelina, shut up you nasty teachers pet.  Something tells me if she finds a man to put up with her one day she'll remind him all the time how she gave him sex 2 weeks ago and he owes her.  Kids? "Remember that time I made you and birthed you?  Since I did that, you owe me..."

The fried chicken... is it cringeworthy just because Davie is black?  I didn't think anything of Nick slapping Davie about it and I certainly don't think there was any racial element to it, as in "hey he got fried chicken just for you because you're black!"  I'm not black and I love fried chicken and if I had been on the island for a month I think I'd be talking about fried chicken like Bubba talked about shrimp in Forrest Gump.  Nick is from the south and maybe he really loves fried chicken too.

45 minutes ago, Drogo said:

I'm pretty sure he's actually a Marine... she learned all about battle tactics from her Marine husband and used that to connect to the two meathead brohunks because apparently all meathead brohunks are into wargames and military strategy.  Yes, I know Dan is a cop, but it was funny to me that she thinks it was brilliant of her to speak military language to the alpha males.

I would love to see an interview with Mr. Angelina and see what he thinks of his wife's edit and how she has been portrayed.

44 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

Could Jeff have said "balls" any more times? 

That Jeffy sure loves them balls.  He loves talking about them and all the things the balls do.  If John or Dan or Alec had still been around for this challenge there possibly would have been a party explosion in Jeffy's pants.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, watch2much said:

As many have said, the Davids made a fatal mistake voting out Carl when they did.  They keep thinking the tribe divisions don't count anymore but I believe they do.  The remaining Goliaths are smart enough to know that David jurors may vote tribally.  Their best chance of winning would be an all Goliath final three.  I can only hope immunity challenges prevent that.  I think Davie has been incredibly smart and underestimated through out the game.  I would like him to win, followed by Nick.  However, my fear is that the Goliaths on the jury will be upset that the weaker Davids prevailed and may well vote for one of their own.

It wasn't the Davids.  It was Gabby and Christian. Gabby's "emotional incontinence" (as one poster put it) and Christian's decision to go along with her, instead of choosing any number of better alternatives to deal with Gabby being left out of the Alison vote, completely blew up the David tribe.  

59 minutes ago, Drogo said:

I recoiled when "Davey's balls separated."

Yesterday, I predicted that Probst would be more restrained with the "balls talk" in this challenge, since all his favorite Alpha Male Studmuffins were out of the game.  But, instead he became even more obvious than ever with he double entendre.   Good thing nearly all of Survivor's audience is 12 years old.  

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I'm pretty sure he's actually a Marine... she learned all about battle tactics from her Marine husband and used that to connect to the two meathead brohunks because apparently all meathead brohunks are into wargames and military strategy.  Yes, I know Dan is a cop, but it was funny to me that she thinks it was brilliant of her to speak military language to the alpha males.

If so, he's probably not thrilled that she called him a soldier.  (Marines are Marines.)  But if he is, Semper Fi to them both and she can stay.

I think it was Alec who was particularly unimpressed by her military lingo.  She certainly outlasted the Brochachos, tired of her as they might have been.

2 hours ago, Drogo said:

He kind of reminds me of this creep from the Saw films.

lead37.jpg?quality=85&strip=info&w=600&h

Oh, no.  Mike White is no Michael Emerson.  Ben Linus was always the smartest guy on the island for a fact, not only in his own mind.

1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

Usually, the person getting voted out is shown a lot in their final episode.

I know!  I was so afraid for Davie!  So afraid he wouldn't play the idol.

I'm sick of Alison's jaw drop any time anyone plays an idol.  Perhaps if she had been a little more proactive with protecting herself rather than depending on others to drag her along she'd be in a better place.  But that would mean making a big move, like getting up off her butt and looking for an idol.

1 hour ago, ShaNaeNae said:

That is right.  I forgot about that, she's a military wife.

And knows all about military strategy.  (Or some such nonsense.)

34 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

What sadden me was that Davie did not anticipate anyone telling Nick about his plan to vote Nick out

Was he the one that said to Alison to not tell Mike?  I think he did anticipate Mike telling Nick, but he did not anticipate Alison telling Mike.

• Love 6
35 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

Many posters have mentioned that they would like to see Gabby and Christian on the Amazing Race.  Not me-I would love to see Nick and Davie on the Amazing Race.  The two of them are really strategic-the saves they came up with for Christian and the understanding they have of the pros and cons of various moves.  Loved the scene of Davie talking out the possibilities of the advantages and disadvantages of "gambling" with his vote.  What sadden me was that Davie did not anticipate anyone telling Nick about his plan to vote Nick out-which was ironic as Davie told Christian about the plan to vote him out at the prior TC.  However, I am enjoying the moves and countermoves that the survivors plan when they catch word of something that doesn't fit their personal game plans.  

I would really like seeing Davie and Nick as part of the F3.  Hopefully they will work together again.  It is so very interesting how one move has many unintended consequences-the Jessica vote early in the game and Gabby's plan to vote out Christian.  Well, one thing is for sure-this season is amazing.  I really never know what to expect in any episode.  My only problem is that there is only one episode left!!!  I wish they would have allowed another episode so we could enjoy how things are playing out a bit more.

I'd love to see both of those pairs on the the Amazing Race.  Christian and Gabby more for comic relief, from Gabby's inevitable emotional outbursts.   Angelina would be a hoot on TAR as well, always sure she is right, when she usually isn't, begging for help from other teams, trying to negotiate with judges to accept subpar work on challenges, etc.   

• Love 6
13 hours ago, lids said:

It’s sad that the Davids lost the whole momentum of what made them great. When they put their minds together, communicated and trusted each other they were able to come up with amazing game play.

Echo echo; the wheels came off the little red DavidRulz wagon doubleplusquick.

13 hours ago, lids said:

In this case if Davy would have taken Christian on the reward challenge, all three Davids could have figured out a way to blindside someone at tribal Council, probably Allison. Davy didn’t have his hidden immunity idol at the time, but between them, they could have gone into tribal Council with two idols and a fake one that everyone thought was real that they could have said was going to Christian. They could have used those to make a big play that secured them into the final part of the game. 

I took Davie’s choice of Nick for the reward as purely strategic - i.e., to keep Nick from searching for the “real” idol in Davie’s absence.

11 hours ago, Sentient Meat said:

Sounds like Mike has gone from being the lovable writer of School of Rock, to a lowkey version of Big Brother's Andy Herren on this thread.

Damned if I didn’t say the exact same thing during the broadcast last night.

11 hours ago, MisterBluxom said:

P.S. Anyone care to wager that if Aggravina should make it to the FTC, when it comes time to bleat her case for winning, she will attempt to resurrect her Numbskull Rice Negotiation?

Love this.

11 hours ago, Jextella said:

The tribal council discussion was interesting.  We've heard it before but this season seems to have brought home just how "fluid" the game is now-a-days.  Trust only lasts through each tribal council. 

Is this increased fluidity a necessary evolution of the game, or simply a reflection of an innate inability of the current crop of Survivor contestants to maintain a trust relationship beyond a single vote?  IMHO it’s actually a devolution of the game - a descent from an environment of overall strategy, into one of simple reactive tactics - which may be due to increased immaturity on the part of its participants.  Food for thought, anyway.

5 hours ago, brilliantbreakfast said:

Oh. My. God.  If you did not love Christian Hubicki enough already, catch this:

He is just the best.  My favorite player of all time.  So brilliant, and yet, so adorable.  Watch the faces of all these much-dimmer lunkheads as they try to grok what he's talking about.  And yet, they do.

One of my favoritest Ponderosas ever - and for those who didn’t get it, the whole whiteboard thingie was Christian joking around. Comic schtick on a par with the Comptroller of Slamtown.  :>

5 hours ago, DEL901 said:

But now that Nick knows that Davey was targeting him, Nick's after Davey but Davey doesn't realize it.

Er - I think you have that kinda backwards:

1. Nick thought he knew Davie was targeting him, based on Mike’s statements - but from Nick’s perception POV, the resulting TC vote (in which Nick didn’t receive a single vote) indicated the opposite.  The fact Davie was targeting Nick (which we - and Mike - objectively know, but Nick doesn’t) is immaterial; in the end, Davie’s vote didn’t validate Mike’s statements to Nick.
  2. Conversely, Davie (who did receive two TC votes) does realize he’s being targeted by at least two somebodies - and even though Nick wasn’t one of those votes, Nick will probably be one of Davie’s prime suspects.

As a result, Nick now thinks he’s good with Davie - but going forward, Davie will be highly suspicious of Nick.

Frankly, I’m more curious what Nick’s reaction will be regarding Mike; from Nick’s POV, Mike misstatement caused Nick to needlessly burn his idol.  So does Nick think Mike’s words were simple misstatements, of calculated lies?  Should be interesting to find out.

4 hours ago, rasalas said:

Davie is playing a great game, but I'm always skeptical when players figure things like that out -- mostly because there's a layer to playing Survivor that many viewers don't seem to consider:

Davie: "I think Nick might be up to something!"
Reality:  "There was a lot of camera activity around Nick!"

Random Survivor: "I think he's gone down the beach to look for an idol!"
Reality: "A camera operator just suddenly followed him down the beach!"

Random Survivor: "I found an idol!"
Reality: "I looked where the camera operator was pointing!"

There are a limited number of cameras and producers for daily activity around the island.

I think you’re underestimating the thought - and resources - Production puts into the show.  For example, I expect:

1. Production starts out every season with something like three “follow-cam” crews  (a SteadiCam camera operator and any necessary support crew) per contestant, whose sole job is to follow around their assigned contestant every second of an 8-hour shift.  So it doesn’t matter if a contestant is idol-hunting, or taking a stroll on the beach, or simply trying to take a shit in the ocean - EVERY contestant will have a follow-cam crew stuck on their ass regardless.  Under such circumstances, a follow-cam crew trailing a contestant down the beach would be a totally unremarkable occurrence; on the contrary, the lack of such a crew would be noteworthy.
  2. Each follow-cam crew is also instructed daily to film not just their assigned contestant, but to also be constantly capturing environmental shots around the contestant.  This would simply be common sense, and serve two functions: to desensitize the contestant to those moments the camera isn’t pointed directly at them, and also to provide the local flora/fauna shots used by Production in the post-production edit.
  3. Production rotates the crew-contestant pairing assignments on a daily basis, to avoid attachment biases forming between crews and contestants.  I expect the last thing TPTB wants is for a camera guy to develop a crush on Kara, for example, and start giving her significant head-bobs from behind the lens.

Surely, they influence the scope of the game? 

TPTB almost certainly have their own biases - and definitely edit to suit - but most of that happens after the season’s film is already in the can.  Initially at least, TPTB are about as clueless as you and I over how the season will progress and the contestants develop - so if Production is smart, they’ll keep the individual contestant camerawork as objective as possible to avoid any suggestions of an Observer Effect overtly biasing the game’s outcome.  

Many of us may occasionally suspect Production intervention - sometimes more strongly than others (<cough>bendriebergen<cough>) - but we don’t factually know it.  Legally Survivor isn’t a game show, so it isn’t required to follow the same rules; in a practical sense; a scandal with verifiable evidence of Production cheating to benefit a contestant would be the kiss of death for the series, however, and TPTB know it.  They’re not going to kill their golden goose for the benefit of any one contestant.

3 hours ago, Drogo said:

On reward selections:
OMG not the flipping rice again.  You did not WIN rice, Angelina.. you sat out of a challenge you had a slim chance of winning anyway to get rice but more to have a thing to tell people every 20 minutes.  Angelina will write an autobiography one day called "You Probably Remember the Time I Got Us Rice?"  

Khaleesi for President.

Edited by Nashville
Missed responding to a couple of quotes
  • Love 15

The Davids problem was that Carl couldn't let go of the fact that people wanted Jessica out and not Lyrsa, I think it was Lyrsa that vote. Carl couldn't handle the fact that people wanted to play their game and not his game. Christian, Elizabeth, Gabby, Lyrsa and Nick decided that it made more sense to remove Jessica. Carl, Davie and Bi were really pissed off after that vote. Carl never let it go. Carl was willing to sacrifice Elizabeth because of that one vote. Once Carl once in a position of power he abused that power. He expected people to vote the way he wanted them to vote with no discussion. Honestly, I don't think Carl was the only one with that problem, I think Davie was not able to fully work with Nick or Christian because of the Jessica blindside.

Blame Gabby all that you want, but Nick and Davie should have been aware that Carl's behavior was off putting and clearly signaled that Gabby and Christian were at the bottom of the Davids. If Carl, Davie and Nick really wanted to work with Gabby and Christian, they should have treated them like equals and consulted them before making decisions. Instead, Carl handed down orders and intentionally lied to Gabby.

And Gabby and Christian read their position in the "alliance" properly and acted on that info.

It doesn't help that the Goliaths who are left really don't seem all that threatening. I would guess that Kara is seen as a floater. Angelina is,well, Angelina. She has been targeted by everyone because she is annoying. Now she is annoying and seen as a vote. Mike is not seen as a threat and a vote. Alison is still Goliath strong, no matter what she says, her actions show that she won't make a move without other Goliaths. None of them are enough of a threat that the more strategic players are worried about beating them at final tribal. Except that you run into the problem that they now have enough numbers that the strategists have shot themselves in the foot.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, ladymon said:

Anyone else see that end shot of the snuffed out torch and think of the silent clock?  Honk if you know what I'm talking about.....

The Slient Clock on 24 when they killed off a Beloved Character!

16 minutes ago, Heathrowe said:

Has anyone EVER voted for Mike in a Tribal Council? I can't recall him ever being on the block?

The tribemates are actually all under the impression Mike is a production assistant.

• Love 12
32 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

The Davids problem was that Carl couldn't let go of the fact that people wanted Jessica out and not Lyrsa, I think it was Lyrsa that vote. Carl couldn't handle the fact that people wanted to play their game and not his game. Christian, Elizabeth, Gabby, Lyrsa and Nick decided that it made more sense to remove Jessica. Carl, Davie and Bi were really pissed off after that vote. Carl never let it go. Carl was willing to sacrifice Elizabeth because of that one vote.

You know, I had wondered about this earlier in the season, but the Davids seemed so united after the merge, and Davie and Carl certainly built a bond with Nick. They used all the advantages to save Christian, so I sort of thought they mended fences.

I hesitate to say it, because she might retroactively put it in her final tribal council argument if she gets there, but I blame Angelina for the break-up of the Davids. Once she'd flounced away from the Goliaths, she gave Carl the excuse not to work with Gabby that he was looking for. She ingratiated herself into that group, and pushed Gabby out of it -- with the support of Carl and likely Nick. That made Gabby nervous, which was one of the reasons she decided to gun for Carl -- taking Christian with her (plus, actively leaving Gabby out of discussions encouraged Christian to join her). Had Angelina not weaseled her way into that group, Carl might've grudgingly worked with Gabby to help pick off the Goliaths, and that group might've held together a little longer. But once he had an out, he took it -- as did Nick (who as others mentioned, wanted to get rid of Gabby way back after the Jessica vote, to keep Christian more loyal to him).

It's so sad, to me, to think of that triumphant scene on the beach when they're all revealing their advantages to one another ... to see that go so wrong less than five votes later.

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, Drogo said:

The tribemates are actually all under the impression Mike is a production assistant.

LOL.  Or maybe they think he's a writer. 

56 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

The Davids problem was that Carl couldn't let go of the fact that people wanted Jessica out and not Lyrsa, I think it was Lyrsa that vote. Carl couldn't handle the fact that people wanted to play their game and not his game. Christian, Elizabeth, Gabby, Lyrsa and Nick decided that it made more sense to remove Jessica. Carl, Davie and Bi were really pissed off after that vote. Carl never let it go. Carl was willing to sacrifice Elizabeth because of that one vote. Once Carl once in a position of power he abused that power. He expected people to vote the way he wanted them to vote with no discussion. Honestly, I don't think Carl was the only one with that problem, I think Davie was not able to fully work with Nick or Christian because of the Jessica blindside.

Blame Gabby all that you want, but Nick and Davie should have been aware that Carl's behavior was off putting and clearly signaled that Gabby and Christian were at the bottom of the Davids. If Carl, Davie and Nick really wanted to work with Gabby and Christian, they should have treated them like equals and consulted them before making decisions. Instead, Carl handed down orders and intentionally lied to Gabby.

And Gabby and Christian read their position in the "alliance" properly and acted on that info.

It doesn't help that the Goliaths who are left really don't seem all that threatening. I would guess that Kara is seen as a floater. Angelina is,well, Angelina. She has been targeted by everyone because she is annoying. Now she is annoying and seen as a vote. Mike is not seen as a threat and a vote. Alison is still Goliath strong, no matter what she says, her actions show that she won't make a move without other Goliaths. None of them are enough of a threat that the more strategic players are worried about beating them at final tribal. Except that you run into the problem that they now have enough numbers that the strategists have shot themselves in the foot.

Maybe Gabby and Christian should have brought their concerns to Nick and Davie.  I don't think either of them were married to Carl and would have probably gone along with an orderly regime change, perhaps voting out Carl at 8 where the Davids will still end up with a 4-3 edge.  Just the fact that Gabby and Christian were 2 and Carl was only 1, would probably make them choose Gabby and Christian over Carl, if forced to decide.  Carl's behavior was probably irritating Nick and Davie as well, and he was making himself a threat at FTC with his idol nullification "bing" and him acting like the ringleader.    

Why were Davie and Nick anymore responsible for Carl's behavior than Gabby and Christian?   

Gabby and Christian saw that Gabby might have been on the bottom of the alliance, and instead of taking reasonable steps, Gabby freaked out and the two of them entered into a suicide pact, that got them voted out in the next 2 votes, and might lead to an all Goliath FTC.   

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 8

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out, Christian. 

I remember the days when "big moves" were something other than just finding an idol that would get you out of your own mistakes. This show is so much trash these days. 

Edited by azshadowwalker

I don't think Angelina weaseled her way in, I think Angelina and Mike had a strong bond with Nick. Remember, Angelina was fine with the Natalie vote and asked Mike and Mick if it was ok that she voted for Lyrsa so she could try and get Natalie's jacket. And then Nick voted with Mike and Angelina to vote out Lyrsa. While Nick did not tell Mike about the John and Dan votes, the two never really targeted each other and seemed to continue to talk to each other.

As much as production has played up the jacket and the rice and the why didn't you vote for Christian and the whining, Angelina seems to get along pretty well with most folks. Her whining is ignored, people listen and then walk away or roll their eyes. So there is more to Angelina then we have seen.

I think that the Davids realized that they had to work together because the Goliaths were not willing to work with them. They all flat out said, in Tribal Council, that the Goliaths were not willing to work with the Davids and so they came together. Then we saw the pow wow that revealed all the advantages and hidden idols, all while they discussed how none of the Goliaths were trying to work with them. All the Goliaths saw the Davids as were votes for the final tribal. That is why Angelina told Elizabeth she was going home and four Goliaths told Nick about the Christian vote.

Once the Goliaths were no longer in a position where they could ignore the Davids, the Davids played the way they had fully intended to play at the merge, which was not as an alliance.

Carl didn't want to work with Elizabeth or Gabby. I suspect that Davie was less adamant about not working with Gabby and Elizabeth but I don't think Davie ever saw them as anythign other then pawns. Nick was willing to work with anyone, see his 9,000 named alliances. Davie would make any move he needed in order to further his game. Gabby wanted to work with Alison. Christian would have worked with the Strike Force if Mike hadn't decided to target Christian.

All of which is fine but it the attitude that the Davids had, work with who ever to get to the finals, that cost all of them. They never saw themselves as an alliance, they are all free agents happily workign with whoever they can to move on in the game.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

The fried chicken... is it cringeworthy just because Davie is black?  I didn't think anything of Nick slapping Davie about it and I certainly don't think there was any racial element to it, as in "hey he got fried chicken just for you because you're black!"  I'm not black and I love fried chicken and if I had been on the island for a month I think I'd be talking about fried chicken like Bubba talked about shrimp in Forrest Gump.  Nick is from the south and maybe he really loves fried chicken too.

Don’t matter if he’s black, white, gray, blue, or green; a Southern boy is gonna love fried chicken, and if y’all don’t like it you can kiss us somewhere right south of our Mason-Dixon line.  ;>

That Jeffy sure loves them balls.  He loves talking about them and all the things the balls do.  If John or Dan or Alec had still been around for this challenge there possibly would have been a party explosion in Jeffy's pants.

In truth, I don’t think Peachy was aware of all the double-entendres he was dropping - not immediately, anyway.  One notable example:

”Is it better when the balls are touching, or when they’re separated?  Both are uncomfortable...”

<insert three-count...comprehension achieved...>

“...in this competition.”

2 hours ago, Drogo said:

In that case, I’d attribute the strength of their marriage directly to the length of his deployments.

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 11
8 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

Mike targeted Christian for the sole reason of wanting to be the smartest survivor. He's not even anywhere near as intelligent as Christian nor does he have a fraction of Christian's personality. As someone said earlier, he's a shit stirrer as a result of his jealousy.

Mike's growing on me. 

He may or may not be as smart as Christian -- how can we know?  But I think Mike is better at Survivor, and it isn't close.  Actually, Mike has played a near flawless game so far, given his strengths and limitations. 

His social game has been near perfect.  He not only has no great enemies, he has alliances with everyone but Davie.  That has kept him off the radar screen and led to ZERO votes cast against him at tribal so far.  It puts him in a great position entering the end game. 

His strategy has worked great as well.  He's walked a tightrope between the various blocs and alliances, almost always correctly identifying the majority and voting with it.  He has a great eye for detecting the quarter of the wind and adjusting his play accordingly. 

I don't see booting Christian as shit-stirring.  I see it as smart, almost brilliant.  One player after another said Christian was the #1 threat to win.  Yet in the chaos that surrounded camp before last tribal, Christian had escaped notice.  From everyone but Mike, that is.  Mike patiently and carefully planted the seeds that removed the biggest threat in the game.  Excellent play. 

Mike is not a physical threat.  But this has not been a real physical season so far, challenge-wise.  Meanwhile Mike has been on 8 rewards, and is tied for first with most individual immunity wins.  (With everyone else, which shows that to date no one stands out in this category.)

Is he a goat?  I used to think so.  Now I'm not so sure.  He can point to his social game.  His navigating between the various alliances.  His huge number of reward wins/trips.  His immunity win, that freed him to make what is probably the biggest move in the game till now, clipping the guy everyone feared to win. 

And I bet he can do all that in a convincing way.

If he makes F3, it probably comes down to who he faces.  Say it's Alison and Angelina.  I think Mike can win that one handily.  Especially if he engineered getting Nick, Davie and Kara out before that. 

• Love 11
8 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Maybe Gabby and Christian should have brought their concerns to Nick and Davie.  I don't think either of them were married to Carl and would have probably gone along with an orderly regime change, perhaps voting out Carl at 8 where the Davids will still end up with a 4-3 edge.  Just the fact that Gabby and Christian were 2 and Carl was only 1, would probably make them choose Gabby and Christian over Carl, if forced to decide.  Carl's behavior was probably irritating Nick and Davie as well, and he was making himself a threat at FTC with his idol nullification "bing" and him acting like the ringleader.    

Why were Davie and Nick anymore responsible for Carl's behavior than Gabby and Christian? 

Nick was right there when Carl decreed to Christian that the vote was for Alison and to lie to Gabby. Nick was standing right there and said nothing. Davie and Carl were clearly aligned, just like Christian and Gabby were clearly aligned. So why would Christian think that Davie would listen to his concerns? And Nick had an established bond with Mike and Angelina so suggesting Mike or Angelina as a vote, and not Alison or Kara who were working with Gabby and Christian, was a losing battle.

The Davids voted together for two votes because they had to. They were not allied. They all referenced that they were working together because none of the Goliaths were willing to work with any of the Davids. Remember Mikes comment that the Goliaths have to stop being bitches and work together even though they don't like each other? That is why the Davids worked together. The five of them wanted to move further in the game and knew that could not happen if they allowed each other to be picked off by the Goliaths. And the Goliaths were not willing to work with the Davids.

And all that is fine, but this notion that there was this tight alliance is not accurate. And the idea that Davie, Nick and Carl did what they did because they wanted Christian to go to the final five or four with them is not accurate. Davie, Carl and Nick did what they did because they knew if they didn't, then they did not stand a chance of making it to the finals.

And that is fine.

Davie and Nick knew what Carl was doing, they sat there while Carl did it. Nick didn't care because it saved the Goliaths who had been working with Nick, Angelina and Mike. Davie didn't care because he didn't see Gabby as an alliance mate, she was just a pawn. So saying something would accomplish nothing. Carl would get pissed and target Gabby as soon as possible, which would not have been a huge deal because Carl was already planning on taking Gabby out after Alison.

So Gabby got Carl first. And Christian was already a target and not aligned with Davie any way.

• Love 5
Just now, kikaha said:

Actually, Mike has played a near flawless game so far, given his strengths and limitations. 

I'd agree more had he let someone else take this individual Immunity win.  Suddenly "eighty five year old Mike" wins Immunity, and becomes a lot less invisible. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

Oh, no.  Mike White is no Michael Emerson.  Ben Linus was always the smartest guy on the island for a fact, not only in his own mind.

LOL.  Any fan of LOST is a friend of mine.  Anyone who enjoys Survivor should try LOST if they haven't already.  I feel like the two shows are weird cousins.

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, Nashville said:

In truth, I don’t think Peachy was aware of all the double-entendres he was dropping - not immediately, anyway.  One notable example:

”Is it better when the balls are touching, or when they’re separated?  Both are uncomfortable...”

<insert three-count...comprehension achieved...>

“...in this competition.”

Hahaha.  If John, Alec or Dan (or better yet, his all time fave, Brad Culpepper) had been in this competition:

"Alec can just FEEEEEEL his balls moving around.  What will Alec do to keep his balls in place???"

"Dan sees his balls moving.  He would probably do ANYTHING he could to TOUCH his balls and keep them there.  But he can't.  He can only balance the table."

"John's balls are all over the place.  John is used to wearing a skintight wrestling singlet which keeps everything in place, I bet he wishes his balls in this game are as immovable.  Oh look at those big balls!"

"Culpepper's BALLS are dangerously close to dropping.  That is NOT something you want to happen in this game.  There is nothing worse for you in this game than to watch your BALLS drop.  How will Culpepper adjust his balls???"

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, kikaha said:

Mike's growing on me. 

He may or may not be as smart as Christian -- how can we know?  But I think Mike is better at Survivor, and it isn't close.  Actually, Mike has played a near flawless game so far, given his strengths and limitations. 

I think you're right, but I don't like admitting it.  Mike's the opposite of growing on me though.  After School of Rock and Enlightened I loved him.  Now, I'm just very neutral.

3 hours ago, Heathrowe said:

I'm not as sad to see Christian go out as I thought I would be. I would have loved for him to make final 3, but people have been gunning for him for episodes and the Carl thing with Gabby was a debacle/big mistake. So that is that.

I'm with you. Many people said they were surprised to tear up over it. I was a big Christian fan from day 1, but found myself surprisingly okay with it. I mean, I was disappointed he couldn't go further; I liked watching him play. But it was absolutely the right move for the others to make. And that's the kind of game I like to watch. No pussyfooting around. See the opportunity to take out a threat? Do it. Now we have several contenders. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

No, Gabby read her position - bottom of a five person alliance that had held steady as other alliances shifted and crumbled and/or faded out into nothing c/- Mike and Alison's chickenhearted wishywashyness.

She pulled poor protective Christian into a vote with a group of remaining Goliaths, the only one who was remotely loyal to her being shifting wishywashy Alison. The rest of whom had been gunning to get Christian out for many eps. Placing Christian with no-one - as she then, being a mastermind, turned on her only true ally - and placing herself at best with an ally of one, wishwashy Alison, or, in the most strained way of looking at a potential best scenario, now bottom of a non-alliance of people she's never worked with who don't especially like her.

7 hours ago, blackwing said:

I’m curious to see how Davie handles this... he looked surprised to get any votes.  He still has one idol left that nobody knows about, because I don’t think anyone knew about his new one and those that knew he had an idol probably assumed he played it last night.  

Nick has burned his idol.  I think Davie’s is the only one left?  

No, he played his other idol earlier to save Christian.

I have to hope either Davie or Nick will carry on with their early rising and hunting for idols and find another.

Edited by violet and green
italics
  • Love 10