Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Galileo908

S30.E010: 'Tis The 30th Season

After a failed Black Friday shopping spree, Marge is determined to fix Christmas; Homer and the kids surprise Marge with a vacation to a Florida resort.

Title: Santa in a Self-Driving Sleigh!

Blackboard: The Fat Man Who Works One Night A Year Is My Dad

Couch Gag: Wampa attack!

Love that Christmas opening.

Heh, Big City Greens also had a Black Friday episode to get a new TV. Also, shocked that Sprawl-Mart wasn't open on Thanksgiving proper. 

Once again Homer ruins everything, and by proxy, the kids. The family has been to some crappy places before, but the Florida "resort" has to be the worst/hilarious of them all. Loved seeing the Flamingo Hospice, and the Hall of Vice Presidents. Anyone spot a Mike Pence figure in there? Most of our Vice Presidents were truly terrible people. Yeah, Dick Cheney shot his friend in the face, but Aaron Burr actually finished the job when he did it. I'm surprised they didn't get Al Gore for the one line at the end.

I love that Yankees Fans Fantasy Camp and Yankees Suck Fantasy Camp both feature Wade Boggs (the Yankees Sucks has him in his Red Sox uniform)

"I was the It Boy of 2006!" Take THAT, Family Guy. Also the first real joke about Disney owning Fox.

That ending at Moe's was pretty sweet, even if it was a little deus ex machina.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Once again Homer ruins everything, and by proxy, the kids.

Shouldn't Marge get any responsibility for as usual being a dumb little pushover and letting Gil the mooch take her gloves, clothes, and even her time to get a stuffed animal that he easily gave up so it was all for nothing? At least Homer and the kids tried to  make it right by taking her on a nice vacation. It wasn't their fault it turned out to be a dump.

But no, silly me. I forgot that Saint Marge is always a victim.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

Shouldn't Marge get any responsibility for as usual being a dumb little pushover and letting Gil the mooch take her gloves, clothes, and even her time to get a stuffed animal that he easily gave up so it was all for nothing? At least Homer and the kids tried to  make it right by taking her on a nice vacation. It wasn't their fault it turned out to be a dump.

But no, silly me. I forgot that Saint Marge is always a victim.

Wow... That’s harsh. Yeah, she could have said no, and she was taken advantage of, but Homer not being there did play a part, whether it was intentional or not. I actually liked that it was an accident, and she didn’t blame him. She blamed herself. I was worried Homer was going to oversleep and Marge would be mad at him, so I was glad they avoided such a predictable route.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Galileo908 said:

Title: Santa in a Self-Driving Sleigh!

Blackboard: The Fat Man Who Works One Night A Year Is My Dad

Couch Gag: Wampa attack!

Love that Christmas opening.

Heh, Big City Greens also had a Black Friday episode to get a new TV. Also, shocked that Sprawl-Mart wasn't open on Thanksgiving proper. 

Once again Homer ruins everything, and by proxy, the kids. The family has been to some crappy places before, but the Florida "resort" has to be the worst/hilarious of them all. Loved seeing the Flamingo Hospice, and the Hall of Vice Presidents. Anyone spot a Mike Pence figure in there? Most of our Vice Presidents were truly terrible people. Yeah, Dick Cheney shot his friend in the face, but Aaron Burr actually finished the job when he did it. I'm surprised they didn't get Al Gore for the one line at the end.

I love that Yankees Fans Fantasy Camp and Yankees Suck Fantasy Camp both feature Wade Boggs (the Yankees Sucks has him in his Red Sox uniform)

"I was the It Boy of 2006!" Take THAT, Family Guy. Also the first real joke about Disney owning Fox.

Overall, I just didn't find it all that funny.  The odd smirk or two as @Galileo908 mentioned, especially the Yankees fantasy camps.

Or that Family Guy Land had a 'Dump on Meg' section.  a 'Soarin' Over Quahog' section, a 'Quagmires of the Caribbean' section and a 'Seth Sings Sinatra - Mandatory' section.

Didn't see anyone with white hair in the Hall of Vice Presidents or in the resort manager's bed, so no Pence.  Though Joe Biden was there.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

Wow... That’s harsh. Yeah, she could have said no, and she was taken advantage of, but Homer not being there did play a part, whether it was intentional or not. I actually liked that it was an accident, and she didn’t blame him. She blamed herself. I was worried Homer was going to oversleep and Marge would be mad at him, so I was glad they avoided such a predictable route.

I liked that too. And yeah I guess I was being harsh, but the thing is the writers have gone that predictable route *so many times* before with her getting pissed off at him even when it was an accident or not really his fault that my gut-reaction is just "Stop being such a victim, Marge". And yeah, I'm probably biased because I really can't stand her.

Edited by Spartan Girl

Yeah, Marge really could have grabbed a tv and then helped Gil and avoided everything. She had to have known Homer would screw up and not be there at 3. 

• Like 1

I really enjoyed this ep, and found it flowed quite well all things considered. 

Looks like Seth and Matt (or the show producers at least) coordinated the gags, as Family Guy also had a Simpsons cutaway joke this week (To Burns and Smithers watching Peter at the brewery). 

I was fully expecting Homer to miss the swap by sleeping in, so I was quite pleasantly surprised at how much effort he went in to make sure he didn't oversleep. Sadly fate made sure he missed the swap anyway, but I liked that method.

I think one of the best things I liked about the episode is that no one was particularly mean. The kids were kids of course, but everyone was doing their best to be nice to everyone else. Even Bart's prank that ultimately got them the money to go home and get the TV wasn't particularly mean spirited; but a classic Bartism. 

So Springfield is 2000 miles away from Florida, and goes through Georgia and Tennesee to get there. That puts it east of Salt Lake City and in the snow belt. But we already knew all that. :)

• Like 2

Two things that I immediately noticed in the Hall of Vice Presidents: future POTUS 41 just 'cause his funeral was everywhere last week (whenever I see him I always think " here's a little something we learned in CIA...") and of course the shock of seeing Spiro Agnew's head attached to his body (thanks to Futurama). LOL

• Like 4

This episode was a hot mess.

Homer wrecks both cars but they are magically fixed, then destroys a laptop for no reason.

Marge was a fragile dumbass.

Family Guy Land was funny, as were the TV ads ("may smell like dead people").

• Like 3