Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E10: The Battle Of Ranskoor Av Kolos

Chip
  • Start Topic

On the planet of Ranskoor Av Kolos, lies the remains of a brutal battlefield. But as the Doctor, Graham, Yaz and Ryan answer nine separate distress calls, they discover the planet holds far more secrets. Who is the mysterious commander with no memory? What lies beyond the mists? Who or what are the Ux? The answers will lead the Doctor and her friends towards a deadly reckoning.

Excellent episode and Chibnall didn't hit the viewer over the head with his social commentary (although it was in there of course.) Just New Year's eve to look forward to and that is it for the season sadly. I will say that Jodie has been a rousing success as the Doctor IMO and I have a fierce girl crush on her. 

• Love 4

Nice callback to earlier episodes - not just the reappearance of Tim Shaw (and his gruesome collection of teeth), but to The Stolen Earth (and how the TARDIS had once towed the Earth back into place!). The episode also reminded me somewhat of the Babylon 5 episode "Grail" where religious belief was treated reverently, which hasn't always been the case in Who.

I liked Graham being all out for revenge, in spite of the Doctor's warning - and that it was Ryan that talked him round. And we finally got the fist bump and "I love you" between the two of them! Really liked Ryan going, "You heard me - I'm NOT saying it again!" as well.

Yaz has been rather underused all Season - she's had her moments (she had one early in this episode too when she talked down Mark Addy's character) but she's definitely been underused. Hope she gets something to do on the New Year's Day episode!

• Love 9

That was utter cack. I consider it an insult to my arse that I sat through nine episodes waiting for this. And now Chibs is taking a year off, presumably the effort of this frantic creativity has  worn him down to a flibbon.

Maybe by 2020 he'll remember that Doctor Who is meant to be an exciting drama?

• Love 11

I really enjoyed this. Good emotional stakes, new species, lots of explosions and we got closure on Tim Shaw (and he got his comeuppance, for now at least) and Ryan and Graham’s relationship. I liked that the Doctor didn’t crap on the Ux’s religion but encouraged them to explore the Universe. It had a lot of good humor and the Doctor was front and center

The Sniperbots still can’t hit anything though

As for the season, as a new viewer, I really enjoyed it and Jodie as the new Doctor. I can understand some of the complaints - not enough of the Tardis, not enough of the Doctor front and center or known enemies, etc - but I like what I saw. Even if some episodes were a little weak, like Arachnids, I enjoyed every episode in one way or another

I wish we didn’t have to wait more than a year for the next season but I guess British TV just doesn’t have the resources to easily make this show on a regular basis

• Love 8

First time this season I can say this, and I'm happy to do so - I loved this episode.  It wasn't perfect, but it had the elements I look forward to in this show, and managed to be emotional, thoughtful, suspenseful, hopeful and fun by turns.  

• Love 3
5 hours ago, HauntedBathroom said:

That was utter cack. I consider it an insult to my arse that I sat through nine episodes waiting for this. And now Chibs is taking a year off, presumably the effort of this frantic creativity has  worn him down to a flibbon.

Maybe by 2020 he'll remember that Doctor Who is meant to be an exciting drama?

They’ve skipped 2013 and 2016 in recent years as far as complete seasons are concerned. I think it’s a way to lessen the grind a series like Doctor Who can have while also getting more years out of an actor who since the reboot has only done three seasons. Changing an actor every three years isn’t ideal, but changing an actor every 4 or 5 years makes sense. Plus they will likely do a couple specials and start early 2020.

• Love 2

Eh...it was okay. At least Chibnall stuck the landing (got an acceptable ending) this time. Overall this season was a woeful disappointment. I like Jodie as the Doctor, I just wish she had something to work with. Every now and then, we get a peek at what an awe-inspiring time lord she could be, but only these teeny little glimpses. It's frustrating.

Overall I didn't really 'get' this one at all. Oh, I know what it was about, but still...I don't 'get' it.

Edited by hnygrl
  • Love 5

End of a frustrating season. It's like opening up the box to find the cat dead and alive at the same time. "It's a success!" "No, it's a dismal failure!!"

As far as introducing a new Doctor and companions, I think Chibnall did a good job. Granted, maybe he put more weight on himself by (and this is what I heard) only auditioning female actors to play the Doctor. And more weight was added on by not going to the familiar monsters and aliens. I think he did a pretty good job setting up new menaces; last month, I went to a small comic book show, and I got Tzim-Sha and the Pting drawn in my sketchbook. My feeling is that Chibnall is letting the weight get even heavier, and taking 2019 off is probably not a great move, especially since Jodie has been more than adequate in the role.

Should have known Graham wouldn't actually kill Tzim-Sha. The "I just shot him in the foot!" moment with Ryan was funny, though. I am glad the fist bump happened without either guy sacrificing themselves.

• Love 6

Tim Shaw is next-level petty, waiting 3,407 years to try to get revenge. I laughed when the Doctor said that the last seven years must've dragged.

I was genuinely worried that Graham would try to take on Tim Shaw and something would happen to him, so I'm glad he heeded the Doctor and Ryan's advice. Locking Tim Shaw up in one of his own pods for eternity is a fitting punishment. And Graham finally got the fist bump he's been waiting for. 

I liked Thirteen telling the Ux to "travel hopefully" at the end, because that perfectly describes her approach to travel and to other planets and cultures, and just her personality in general. 

• Love 11

Seemed more like a Doctor Who episode then any of the other episodes, except maybe the first. (The first had better humor).

Here are a couple of grenades, I won't give you any more instructions than that. (Don't try this at home!)

SniperBots, more like FiringSquadBots. (Target Locked, Ready, Aim, Fire!)

Bonus points to Graham for just trimming his toenails.

• Love 1

Well, I liked this episode, much more than the rest of the lot, except maybe the first one, which someone else also said.  It felt more like Doctor Who to me, but don't ask me to explain how or why that is.  I'm disappointed that we have to wait til 2020 for more episodes.  (Except for the New Year's special.) That seems rather harsh on the viewers.  I hope everyone gets a bit more fleshed out next season. I still feel like Graham is the one we know the most. The Doctor, we hardly know at all.  I hope BBC America does replays of Doctor Who a lot more during 2019, than it has in 2018. Otherwise, I might forget the show entirely.  

• Love 3

What an extremely poor finale. Seriously, this was such a nothing episode.

Tzim Sha came back and we got a half baked rethread of the stolen planet plot and it went nowhere. Why didn't Graham just kill the guy to add a bit of drama to proceedings?

I did like Ryan/Graham's scenes but the Doctor and Yasmin were pretty useless in this episode and the guest characters not so interesting.

After ten weeks, this isn't a good enough note to end things on. Hopefully the New Year's special will be better though, 6/10

• Love 9

As with the first episode of the season, from start to finish I had no idea what was going on in this episode. A friend tweeted at me "congratulations on becoming our parents," but seriously, what the hell was this episode about? I felt like it started in the middle and stayed there. Then again, I tried to watch the first Avengers movie and turned it off after five minutes for the same reason. I'm looking for plot summaries now because none of it made any sense to me.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Did they cut the budget for the Tardis interior? It looks like shit. It's so dark and crowded.

I found the episode boring and started fast forwarding through it. I'm just not feeling this season, which sucks because I love Doctor Who.

I didn't care for it. I also thought it was kind of boring. Graham was the best part. I just felt like "meh". 

43 minutes ago, Jeffurry said:

As with the first episode of the season, from start to finish I had no idea what was going on in this episode. A friend tweeted at me "congratulations on becoming our parents," but seriously, what the hell was this episode about? I felt like it started in the middle and stayed there. Then again, I tried to watch the first Avengers movie and turned it off after five minutes for the same reason. I'm looking for plot summaries now because none of it made any sense to me.

I mentioned that to my husband, what is going on? All in all, I haven't been impressed with this season. I know plenty of people like it and that is great. I hope the next season picks up a bit more. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 5

I actually liked this episode.  It was better than the last three ones.  I'm glad it was a high stakes premise and they had a returning villain, although I thought the whole Tim Shaw storyline could have been built up better.  I liked Graham's storyline here and how he and Ryan made sure Tim Shaw would get what he deserved.  I can't say I'm surprised with the ratings though for the finale.  This was a below average season that didn't build up to anything for a season finale.

I really liked the guest cast here (Robert Baratheon!) and I wish that more time would have been spent with the far more interesting Ux.

Other issues with the episode...like most of the stories this season, it was LOADED with exposition.  That's something that doesn't benefit this Doctor, especially when 13 starts trying to act like her previous incarnations.  I do think the pacing needs to be tightened up as well.  The 50-minute runtimes just add more exposition and more commercials, slowing everything down.

I appreciated Graham's conversation with The Doctor where he wanted to be honest with her about wanting to kill Tim Shaw.  It might have been the best scene in the episode and it was nice for The Doctor to FINALLY have a meaningful one-on-one conversation with her companions.  I like Jodie's Doctor and her companions a lot.  But when it comes to one-on-one relationships with her companions, there's very little there.  The Doctor almost always addresses them as a group instead of as individuals and I think that's her the dynamic here and the view of the companions.

So, good episode for a below average season.  I'm hoping a year-long break will be what Chibnall needs to return the show to its old form.  The 7th Doctor's first season was weak and then bounced back with a strong second season.  But given everything I've seen of Chibnall's work, I can't say I'm impressed with him as a writer.  Broadchurch featured a strong examination of grief that it's stellar cast really pulled off but the storylines were pedestrian at best and stupid at worst.  I don't know if he's up to the task as showrunner.  I hope I'm wrong.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, John Potts said:

Yaz has been rather underused all Season

I've seen this comment all..season..long. Do they have to spend an hour with each companion in every one hour episode?  I assume they have several more stories to show in the series. It took them 9 episodes to get to a flippin fist bump!

Yet no one noted Yaz' refusal to leave the Doctor (at the end) and her line ~ "No matter what I'm staying with you!" I suspect that will point to her role as a companion, and how relationships will play out for as long as the "fam" is together.

Love me some Dr Who, with her 3000 yr old smile.

• Love 2

I'm an American. I think that Tim Shaw is too dangerous to let live, especially in a cage of his own construction, for which he might know a backdoor. I would have liked to see Yaz execute him, then go back to the doctor and admit what she did, and take her punishment. I think that would have been more interesting.

• Love 7

The lost part of the plot about the planet "messing with people's minds" recalls the impact of the Solitract, (Solaris) on the travelers last week. It would have been interesting if they started seeing past loved ones or family members appear on the planet.

It doesn't seem as if this episode was written as a Finale. The only thing was that it tied up loose ends of a character from the premiere ie Tim Shaw. They did the Regen episode, the historicals, the Space romps, and oops, it's time for a Finale, wait, let's use the fist bump, yeah... that's a conclusion to a MAJOR arc for Dr Who.

• Love 2

Minor quibble here:

When the monster's name is used in dialogue, in the CC it is written "Tim Shaw". But when it's used to describe an action it's written "Tzim-Sha" (i.e., when Andinio looks down at the glowing red transmitter on her neck, after the Doctor asks her to let the Creator see her face, you hear the monster's voice say "Bring her to me", and the CC says "Tzim-Sha: Bring her to me.") Different spelling, and the use of a hyphen (which to me indicates Tzim-Sha is a complete, singular name, as opposed to first/last, as I assume "Tim Shaw" or "Tzim Sha" would be).

How does BBC Am do CC? Is it direct from script, or transcribed from a viewing? Is the CC the same here as in the UK? Why can't the "powers that be" decide on the spelling of the monster's name (within the program) so it's consistent? 

I've noticed in articles written about the episode (and episode 1) from various sources, some use "Tim Shaw" while others use "Tzim Sha" or "Tzim-Sha".

Among all his other issues, I suspect the monster is suffering an identity crisis, because there's no agreement on what his name is, or the correct spelling of it.

Well, he has all of eternity to work it out now, I guess!

9 minutes ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Minor quibble here:

When the monster's name is used in dialogue, in the CC it is written "Tim Shaw". But when it's used to describe an action it's written "Tzim-Sha"

Isn't that correct?  Despite how the alien's name would be correctly transcribed, the Doctor and company call him Tim Shaw.

• Love 4

I have to admit that I'm not feeling this "family" feeling between the Doctor and the companions. It feels too forced to me. Dump Yaz and Ryan, keep Graham. There is so much potential between him and the Doctor. I know Ryan is important to his story, but maybe he can pull a Nyssa and stay behind on some planet or station or something? 

7 minutes ago, DavidJSnyder said:

Isn't that correct?  Despite how the alien's name would be correctly transcribed, the Doctor and company call him Tim Shaw.

I do like him being Tim Shaw, but I hope we don't see him again.  He hasn't exactly been a great villain. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 6
28 minutes ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Minor quibble here:

When the monster's name is used in dialogue, in the CC it is written "Tim Shaw". But when it's used to describe an action it's written "Tzim-Sha" (i.e., when Andinio looks down at the glowing red transmitter on her neck, after the Doctor asks her to let the Creator see her face, you hear the monster's voice say "Bring her to me", and the CC says "Tzim-Sha: Bring her to me.") Different spelling, and the use of a hyphen (which to me indicates Tzim-Sha is a complete, singular name, as opposed to first/last, as I assume "Tim Shaw" or "Tzim Sha" would be).

How does BBC Am do CC? Is it direct from script, or transcribed from a viewing? Is the CC the same here as in the UK? Why can't the "powers that be" decide on the spelling of the monster's name (within the program) so it's consistent?

The way the CC has it is completely correct on both counts. The character's actual name is Tzim-Sha, that's what he calls himself and how his allies and the scene description would naturally refer to him. It is the Doctor and her companions who call him Tim Shaw, because the Doctor misheard him when he first gave his name, and he was annoyed by that, so they kept using the name just to wind him up. Therefore the CC for their dialogue says 'Tim Shaw' because that's what they are calling him.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Did they cut the budget for the Tardis interior? It looks like shit. It's so dark and crowded.

I found the episode boring and started fast forwarding through it. I'm just not feeling this season, which sucks because I love Doctor Who.

The TARDIS budget hasn't been cut, in fact I think that moving claw must have set the production team back a bit. I think the problem is that they built the set before they realised how difficult it is to film in, hence the cast having to stand in a fixed line in the few shots we've had in the consolee room.

There's no point in going back and rewatching the stuff you ff'd through, anything Chibs thinks is important will have had a big, glowing arrow drawn at it, you won't have missed anything important.

• Love 3

The Doctor’s final words to the Ux:

“None of us know for sure what’s out there. That’s why we keep looking. Keep your faith. Travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you. Constantly”

I wouldn’t mind seeing more of the Ux again. Given how overstuffed the episode was, it would have been nice to spend more time on the Ux, the Doctor and Graham’s conflict and the planet’s psycho waves

Even though Tim Shaw got dispatched, the rest of the Stenza are still out there causing trouble. I wonder if they’ll be revisited down the road?

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Llywela said:

The way the CC has it is completely correct on both counts. The character's actual name is Tzim-Sha, that's what he calls himself and how his allies and the scene description would naturally refer to him. It is the Doctor and her companions who call him Tim Shaw, because the Doctor misheard him when he first gave his name, and he was annoyed by that, so they kept using the name just to wind him up. Therefore the CC for their dialogue says 'Tim Shaw' because that's what they are calling him.

Thank you! I obviously missed that detail from episode 1. I'm planning a rewatch of the entire season with my daughter when she comes home from college for winter break this Saturday, so this time I'll make sure that part of episode 1 "sticks".

I appreciate your explanation!

• Love 1

I really enjoyed this episode, and its call back to the start of the season, and the bad guy coming back for revenge. His very long, petty revenge. I wont call it super epic or an automatic classic, or even as good as some of the other episodes this season, but I thought they stuck the landing. It had some funny lines, some good action, and I loved how things went with Ryan and Graham. I wish that Yaz had a bit more to do, but hopefully she can do more on New Years! 

Loved Graham not only getting a grandad from Ryan, but an I Love You, AND a returned fistbump! Everything's coming up Graham! Loved that they got some closure for Grace, and decided not to kill the evil tooth fairy. Well, he did shoot him, but just a little bit, to get him to shut up! "Dont tell the Doc, she`ll be livid!" They're relationship was probably my favorite part of the season. Grace would have been thrilled. I really was worried about Graham though, I was scared when he told Ryan than he would be right behind him, he would be having some kind of last stand. 

The guest actors were pretty good (more random British character actors! King Robert!) and the Ux were an interesting new alien species. Kind of like super rare alien magicians. They were really fascinating, and I would be alright seeing them again. I also liked how the Doctor was understanding of their faith, even if its not something she shares. Her goodbye to them, and telling them to "travel hopefully" was quite lovely, and really summed up this version of the Doctor really well. She is an explorer, who wants to know the universe and meet amazing people and see amazing places, and do it in the name of peace and hopefulness. 

• Love 11
12 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I have to admit that I'm not feeling this "family" feeling between the Doctor and the companions. It feels too forced to me. Dump Yaz and Ryan, keep Graham. There is so much potential between him and the Doctor. I know Ryan is important to his story, but maybe he can pull a Nyssa and stay behind on some planet or station or something? 

I do like him being Tim Shaw, but I hope we don't see him again.  He hasn't exactly been a great villain. 

You mean the BIG BAD villain of the season that gets defeated by.....getting shot in the foot?  *eye rolls*

• Love 6
On 12/10/2018 at 6:24 AM, Suzysite said:

Seeing Mrs Hughes from Downton Abbey as one of the Ux was a bit jarring.   It would have been cool if her male counterpart was Carson.

Thank you for this, because I kept getting stuck on "Harriet Jones, Prime Minister" and I knew that wasn't she, but I couldn't get past the slight facial resemblance. 

I so wanted to like this episode as I have been enjoying the entertainment. This was a bit more than meh to me. Tooth-faced villain with the failed meglomania...the Master at his/her campiest was better. Are the planets okay? Did everyone on them die? (I missed what the Doctor might have said about that.) Did anyone on Earth feel that great sunburn coming on? Those attack robots sure are useless, aren't they. 

Bravo to Jodie, though, seriously. She did the most & the best she could with what was overall a pretty cool season. 

I love Graham, and he'd make a great Doctor himself, an Early Years Doctor where he'd just escaped with the TARDIS and was still learning all the whys/hows/whens/whats of handling, well, everything. 

I did like the Ux, and the guest actors, and even the anvil-icious statements at the end, including putting one's faith in the absolute wrong ideals juxtaposed with keeping one's faith. Makes sense for today's world.

Looking forward to the Jan 1 special...

• Love 1
On 12/10/2018 at 12:14 PM, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

That  DWTitanic episode with Tennant and Kylie Minogue  that came on after this, blew S11 Episode 10 out of the water.  Looking forward to seeing reruns of past DW seasons during the Christmas week!

I've been starting from the beginning of New Who and am still in the Eccleston/Piper eps-- gawd!Talk about night and day! There was an excitement... a charm that seems to be lacking in this season. Plus the villains this season have been mediocre at best.

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, taanja said:

I've been starting from the beginning of New Who and am still in the Eccleston/Piper eps-- gawd!Talk about night and day! There was an excitement... a charm that seems to be lacking in this season. Plus the villains this season have been mediocre at best.

Just wait till you get to the Tennant and Matt Smith Doctors. God I loved them!  Even when they got too angsty (Tennant) or manic (Smith) the stories, even the one I hated, there was only one--were millions of miles better than this season.   The Doctor/Donna episode, the Planet of the Ood is still my absolute favorite, and Blink.  Anything Weeping angels is good in my book, even though they scare the bejesus out of me and I'm old!

Jodie's done ok, but the writing sucks, the PC BS sucks, the sets, TARDIS and monsters are just bad...and I don't care for Yaz. I was completely underwhelmed except it was AWESOME to see Robert Barratheon (King Robert) in this episode. I'm pretty much done, there are 50 years of fun Who to watch, this season/series didn't rock me.  13 is missing most of what makes The Doctor great--anger, angst, loneliness and the knowledge of a Time Lord who's been alive for over 1000 years.

• Love 8

I guess I'm in the minority here.  I really liked the episode and the season.  While neither was by any means perfect, I think I enjoyed it as a gestalt more than I have any other season in a very long time.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, taanja said:

I think the Eccelston/Piper  Father's Day is an episode that will always be considered one of the best.

• Love 7

I was a little 'eh' with the fate of Earth again on the line, but then again, I wasn't actually expecting it this time, so I did feel some suspense!

Ryan was the one that pushed Shaw off the crane, so I do appreciate the lesson there. 

On 12/9/2018 at 11:02 PM, DanaK said:

The Doctor summoned the Tardis using "Stenza tech."

Eh. The TARDIS knows where she needs to be when. 

On 12/9/2018 at 10:55 PM, Lantern7 said:

Should have known Graham wouldn't actually kill Tzim-Sha. The "I just shot him in the foot!" moment with Ryan was funny, though.

He wouldn't have. That's not this show, and I would have been disappointed. The scene with Graham and the Doctor and then he and Ryan were really well done. So even though you knew it was coming, I bought it. 

• Love 2

I thought it was a good ending to an unremarkable season.  I like the dynamic between Graham and Ryan, they'll make a good pair in the next couple of seasons.  Now let's see them build on this momentum in the New Year's show.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, ganesh said:

He wouldn't have. That's not this show, and I would have been disappointed. The scene with Graham and the Doctor and then he and Ryan were really well done. So even though you knew it was coming, I bought it. 

Killing Tim Shaw would have been a nice change from the mindless pacifism of Chibnall (the only thing mindless pacifism does IRL is get lots and lots of people killed and Chibby's advocacy of it is yet another strike against him) and made people think.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, whoknowswho said:

Just wait till you get to the Tennant and Matt Smith Doctors. God I loved them!  Even when they got too angsty (Tennant) or manic (Smith) the stories, even the one I hated, there was only one--were millions of miles better than this season.   The Doctor/Donna episode, the Planet of the Ood is still my absolute favorite, and Blink.  Anything Weeping angels is good in my book, even though they scare the bejesus out of me and I'm old!

Jodie's done ok, but the writing sucks, the PC BS sucks, the sets, TARDIS and monsters are just bad...and I don't care for Yaz. I was completely underwhelmed except it was AWESOME to see Robert Barratheon (King Robert) in this episode. I'm pretty much done, there are 50 years of fun Who to watch, this season/series didn't rock me.  13 is missing most of what makes The Doctor great--anger, angst, loneliness and the knowledge of a Time Lord who's been alive for over 1000 years.

Oh I have seen them all and I concur! Doctor/Donna! My favorites! I loved David Tennant and Matt Smith! Loved the emo angst and the excitement they brought! I even liked that older dude-- Peter Capaldi. Loved Martha -- Loved Amy/Rory -- Loved Clara!

And I like this new Doctor-- it's just things feel mediocre. Or lackluster. Or lacking something....

Oh and hasn't the Doctor been alive longer than 1000 years? I remember an ep... I think it was one of the Capaldi eps-- where he like lives a billion years or something trying to forget Clara's death? He's like a god--- he is eternal. Haha!

• Love 2

Is Boe (Face of) related to the Uhx? They all have cosmic lifespans. (Though Cap'n Jack (Boe) got his extra lives from the Bad Wolf.)

I think the Doctor was wrong when she described the Uhx as having the "power to alter Universes". We saw the young Uhx straining to lift a few mountains. The SCALE of the universe vs a few boulders is way too much to toss around loosely. Planets or galaxies makes more sense for anything but a, THE God. IMHO, hee.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, QuantumMechanic said:

Killing Tim Shaw would have been a nice change from the mindless pacifism of Chibnall

Mahatma G and the Dali Lama want to meet this Chibnall who invented Pacifism. Seriously hasn't Pacifism been a long time thing for Dr Who? It's from the 1960's when it was quite conceivable that a mere Mooman Bean could destroy the WHOLE ENTIRE WORLD; see Dr Strangelove.

The Doctor  came along and took it higher and raised the stakes to the Galaxy and the Universe and all Reality! being threatened by violent evil beings.