Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E11: Let Them Eat Chicken!

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

15 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Bravo would absolutely not be successfully sued if the cameraman did nothing for a number of reasons that has absolutely nothing to do with either Brent's or Ashton's employment contracts:

• People die in this industry whether their are cameras present or not. The US Coast Guard keeps track of the number and types of boating deaths in US waters. People die. It's not a regular course of business, but it's not completely unheard of either.*

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/may/26/superyachts-something-goes-wrong-raise-the-anchor

• In most jurisdictions, there is no 3rd party Good Samaritan duty to provide care. In most places, there is a duty for the owner to make sure the environment is reasonably safe. There is also probably a duty for someone licensed, like Captain Lee, to ensure that safety laws and requirements are being adhered to. However, you cannot just invent an obligation or a duty for a client to provide care just because they happen to have a member of their party with relevant training or experience. There is a bit of a complicating factor because the production company, Little Wooden Boat, is the client, but they also hire the yacht staff. Many owners engage yacht staff management companies to hire the crew. However, there's probably a significant amount of insurance covering the staff hiring and a decent amount of indemnification language in the contract.
  • Finally and most importantly if you can't demonstrate that Little Wooden Boat was obviously and completely negligent in hiring the deck crew that it hired, you can't really make a claim that Ashton had no business being on the deck crew and reasonably couldn't rely on the members of his deck crew.

People try to bring lawsuits against reality tv shows and production companies all the time. For the most part, they are not successful. Even when there is some merit to their argument, the tv show and production company have every incentive drag it out so that costs the plaintiff too much to litigate it and then throw a settlement at the plaintiff when things are getting desperate on either side. The two cases that I'm thinking of are both helicopter accidents: one was on The Challenge and the other was for a Discovery show. The Discovery show incident is especially bad because the production company knew that the helicopter pilot had trouble flying under certain conditions both in his license and safety records and because the pilot informed the production company that he had trouble flying while the cameras and lights were on in the copter.

http://www.mcmc-law.com/discovery-channel-settles-on-set-helicopter-accident-lawsuit/

What happened with Ashton was scary and terrible, but I have very little doubt that had it turned out terribly that Bravo and/or Little Wooden Boat would have faced little or no liability. It's about what you reasonably would expect of them. It's reasonable to assume that they'd put you on a boat with no mechanical issues with a crew that is at least minimally trained and not in the middle of an area known for piracy or during hurricane season. Is it reasonable to expect that a cameraperson assist in the rescue of a member of the yacht crew when there may not be any independent verification that the cameraperson has the skills to help and wouldn't necessarily make the situation worse. No, it's not necessarily reasonable to expect that.

*It's not the best legal argument to say that your kid died doing a job where people can be injured or killed because someone else on staff, but not under the supervision of your kid's supervisor might have had the skills to save your child and based on your speculation that person should have intervened despite there being absolutely no confirmation that the other person had skills that would have saved your kid. Furthermore the flip side of this is that if Brent should have intervened, he should be held liable for causing Ashton more injuries if he'd intervened badly. This is why you don't make arguments like this. 

Ah, thanks.  I think it would be the most horrible PR for Bravo though if they fired the cameraman for intervening so I think it's highly unlikely they'd fire someone for breaking that 4th wall when it clearly was a safety issue.

• Love 5

On a less serious note, I think Adrian might benefit from a refresher course on basic prep. When he was plating some fresh pineapple, he left a bunch of eyes (those prickly brown spots) on the prepped fruit. Those are really not pleasant to eat. Also, he had a couple of cuts on his hand that had bled and kind of dried around and under his thumbnail. Really pretty gross. Aside from that, I appreciate a drama free and reasonably creative chef for a change.

• Like 1
  • Love 8
19 hours ago, Diane Mars said:

Why not having a read at Captain Lee's blog, instead of speculating on this or that : https://www.thecaptlee.com/below-deck-s6-episode-11/

Thanks for posting.  However, I still think that Capt. Lee doesn't explain it very well.  If Ashton is caught between the tension of the tender and the tension of the yacht, he's got to be caught in 'both' lines.  And that's what he said at the end of the episode.

I understand spectra line is difficult to cut (we had it on our sailboat) but....uncleating line should be fairly easy to do if you cleat the line properly.  And apparently Brent was able to do that.  Rylee just froze.  She may have a captain's license but that doesn't make her a capable captain.

• Love 3

Like usual, I didn't watch this till the weekend, so am catching up on reading.

I watched Ashton's incident over and over and Capt. Lee's run though for the crew, and just so thankful that Brent the cameraman jumped into action, and darn the person cutting onions.

As to the specific towing, my impression is that the black line is going to form a bridal (a triangle) to tow the smaller boat's white line.  The black line would be cleated down on both sides of the rear deck of My Seanna.  Brent must have unwound the black line on the starboard side's cleat to relieve the pressure and ultimately undo the bridal and then allow the smaller boat to drift away (which Ashton eventually boarded).

The fact Ashton had to come to grips with losing his foot and his life while being towed and difficulty getting breath at times...incredible.  And then a 30-45 minute boat drive alone, man oh man.  

Other than his horndog character, his attitude and demeanor is admirable, and trying to turn back in his tip, very surprising for BD, but the Cap's denial and the crew's affection, a big big plus.

Good episode.

Some comments at youtube for those After Shows:

And Brent saved his life, sorry but throwing that camera down to pull the rope off Ashton ankle is more important than catching all this on footage. Thank god they're all alright. His life is important and I can tell this accident still hurts Ross. And I'm happy Ross is a caring person who developed a good friend ship with Ashton.

Yah wonder what the camera guy was thinking "Is Riley going to do it now? 1, 2, 3, 4,.....crap WTH? Where is she? I will do it." Riley wont be invited back for many reasons.

Camera man, you are above your title and a credit to humanity 

Aaawwwww Captain Lee.....i see you....hard as nails with a heart of gold!! Much love Captain

Edited by MajorNelson
  • Love 6
49 minutes ago, breezy424 said:

Thanks for posting.  However, I still think that Capt. Lee doesn't explain it very well.  If Ashton is caught between the tension of the tender and the tension of the yacht, he's got to be caught in 'both' lines.  And that's what he said at the end of the episode.

I understand spectra line is difficult to cut (we had it on our sailboat) but....uncleating line should be fairly easy to do if you cleat the line properly.  And apparently Brent was able to do that.  Rylee just froze.  She may have a captain's license but that doesn't make her a capable captain.

Exactly.  She seems to be barely able to do the job she has now.  Her temperament and that huge ever-present chip on her shoulder constantly get in the way.  It's imperative that crews work together, and she's unwilling to be a team player.  I can't imagine what she's like as a captain, but for sure she's not as special and talented in this field as she thinks she is.

• Love 9
On 12/14/2018 at 11:09 AM, SailorGirl said:

I am not saying this to be nasty -- there is just no other way to say this. You have absolutely no understanding of how boat lines work. They in NO WAY played up the danger he was in.

I  could barely watch it because it scared me so badly -- there is no way I could go back and watch it again to try to explain it to you. What happened is every sailor's worst nightmare. 
Getting tangled in a line moving that fast with that much tension on them -- you have NO chance to get yourself out of it.  Ashton himself said he shouldn't have been standing where he was. 

There was literally thousands of pounds of tension pulling on his ankle and dragging him under-- it was a 100% accurate assessment that he would have lost his foot and his life.

I couldn't believe that Rhylee just stood there -- I was mentally screaming, "uncleat that line! uncleat that line! Where is your knife? Cut the fucking line!!!" That scene was terrifying for anyone who has spent any amount of time on boats. How do deck hands not have a knife with them at all times? It is one of the first questions I always ask when I get on a boat -- who has a knife -- in addition to the one I always have in my pocket. Why did it take a camera man to come uncleat the line? If I were her crewmates, I would no longer feel safe crewing with her. I wouldn't trust her to know what to do -- when you crew a boat with people, you are literally putting your life in their hands, just as they are with you, and trust in ability is paramount, and ultimately, it does fall to the skipper or captain, because you have to trust that they made the right judgment call about who to have on their boat. 

I know someone who lost a finger because they got a line wrapped around their hand when they popped a clutch (which releases the line) and a finger got pulled into the clutch. I myself have gotten severe rope burn (even with sailing gloves on) because I put my arm down in the wrong place and the line ran against my wrist. 

Especially in sailboat racing, you are always running lines to ensure they run smooth, checking where your feet are if you are standing on a line, moving lines out of the way if you are standing on them, making sure your feet are always on the correct side of the line so you don't get caught up in them, etc. Line awareness is one of the primary safety rules on a sailboat. 

It upsets me to even talk about it here because it causes me to think about what happened and how terrifying and dangerous it was. I hope for your sake that if you ever set foot on a boat of any kind, you have someone on that boat who has full awareness about all of the risks, including from lines, because you are making an incorrect assessment about literally one of the most dangerous scenarios that could happen on a boat.

I watched the afer-show videos & got choked up. IMO, they should’ve shown more of this on the show,  or better yet, do you a special episode about this whole accident. So scary.

• Love 6

I am really interested in what happens next episode. According to the preview Rhylee says she banged her roommate the new deckhand five times in one night. Doesn’t speak well of the guys stamina but whatever.  What is she going to do when he hits on other women in the bar as they show later on in the preview? She is already insufferable when she didn’t get enough male attention what is she going to do when she is tossed aside for some strange? It’s not gonna be pretty.

• Love 8

I don't know anything about boating, and am unable to watch that horrifying incident again because it was just so scary.  So thank you to everyone here who has had the patience to explain the accident for people like me who don't want to see the visuals and wouldn't understand them anyway.

This is fortuanately hypothetical, but as I understand it Brent is not supposed to put down his camera, and to keep filming no matter what.  What if he had tried to help, and been unsuccessful?  He is not trained, what if Ashton had gotten hurt because of Brent's kind efforts.  Fortunately everything is fine, and we are able to think about things like this.

Was so looking forward to seeing Ashton on WWHL and learning about the accident through his words, but then Andy just grossed me out the door.  He is disgusting.  

What did Jenny's dress say on it?  It was driving me bananas.  "Something" dress.

On a lighter note, did anyone else laugh so hard at the Josiah/Adrian carrot cake exchange?  I replayed that so many times, laughing more each time.  There were in fact, two flavors of cake.  A dark cake and a light cake.  Each one was cut in half and then assembled together to make a new cake.  I just love Josiah so much.

• Love 8
On 12/14/2018 at 8:09 AM, SailorGirl said:

. I hope for your sake that if you ever set foot on a boat of any kind, you have someone on that boat who has full awareness about all of the risks, including from lines, because you are making an incorrect assessment about literally one of the most dangerous scenarios that could happen on a boat.

Good advice and I'll definitely be sure to have a camerman on board nearby!

• Love 4
On 12/15/2018 at 1:44 PM, yourmomiseasy said:

According to her instagram she is a licensed captain.  I don't know a lot about captains licenses, but she posted about being a 100 ton master and a picture of the outside of her license (it looks kind of like a passport, but is red and says something about merchant mariners).  When you hear she's an Alaskan fishing boat captain you are probably thinking a big commercial fishing vessel like a factory trawler -- I know I was.  She does chartered day trips on the boat below (and maybe some similar)

Not sure if this is where she still works, but she was working there and it looks really nice https://alaskanfishing.com/  

I don't watch The Deadliest Catch, so I don't know how big that boat is.  So maybe people more familiar with the subject were not picturing a big ole boat in their head.  I have 2 relatives that work on fishing boats in Alaska and I always just picture them on big boats but never cared enough to ask.  Maybe I will next time I see them.  

There are several different boats on The Deadliest Catch.  Even the smallest one makes Rhylee's boat look like a bathtub in comparison.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, PumpkinPK said:

I don't know anything about boating, and am unable to watch that horrifying incident again because it was just so scary.  So thank you to everyone here who has had the patience to explain the accident for people like me who don't want to see the visuals and wouldn't understand them anyway.

This is fortuanately hypothetical, but as I understand it Brent is not supposed to put down his camera, and to keep filming no matter what.  What if he had tried to help, and been unsuccessful?  He is not trained, what if Ashton had gotten hurt because of Brent's kind efforts.  Fortunately everything is fine, and we are able to think about things like this.

Was so looking forward to seeing Ashton on WWHL and learning about the accident through his words, but then Andy just grossed me out the door.  He is disgusting.  

What did Jenny's dress say on it?  It was driving me bananas.  "Something" dress.

On a lighter note, did anyone else laugh so hard at the Josiah/Adrian carrot cake exchange?  I replayed that so many times, laughing more each time.  There were in fact, two flavors of cake.  A dark cake and a light cake.  Each one was cut in half and then assembled together to make a new cake.  I just love Josiah so much.

So, it's a mixture cake?  A what, mischka cake?? A mixture cake.  I'm sorry, I can't understand you.  A mixture cake! Sorry, I don't know what you're saying.  A MIX-TURE CAKE!!!  Sorry, I just...

I so want to kill you right now.

That was really funny.

Edited by Honey
  • Love 11
4 hours ago, langford peel said:

According to the preview Rhylee says she banged her roommate the new deckhand five times in one night. Doesn’t speak well of the guys stamina but whatever.  

Depends she could be referring to it simply in terms of how many orgasms she had not how many they both had which would probably indicate he has a lot of stamina. Though if he recovers quickly that 5 times would indicate than it doesn’t really matter. 

• Love 3
On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 3:25 AM, MrsWitter said:

On Season 1 of Below Deck:Med, Danny did forfeit his tip when he was sick (with a little prodding from Ben). But Danny was a whiny douche and Ashton is a straight-up doll. So it has happened before, but Ashton’s work ethic and  sense of camaraderie is on a total other level than Danny’s.

But Danny did it as a manipulation. He absolutely DID NOT want to give it up, but he was trying to paint a good-guy picture of himself for Captain Mark and stick it to Bobby and Bryan. And as you pointed out, it wasn't even his idea - Ben talked him into it, and then he bitched and moaned about it on the confessional camera. God, I hated that kid. It was hilarious when, after he was fired and leaving the boat, Bryan told him that the cable cars were out of order and he'd have to ride the donkey up all those steps. As they watch him from the boat on his donkey, climbing the hundreds of stone steps, we flash to Bryan in the confessional, smiling and saying something like: "...the cable cars aren't out of order..." Still cracks me up.

Edited by Teri313
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, Teri313 said:

we flash to Bryan in the confessional, smiling and saying something like: "...the cable cars aren't out of order.

It is literally the only good thing that ever came from him. Using his asshole powers for good!

• Love 8
On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:18 AM, Irritable said:

It was disturbing to me that on WWHL Andy Cohen kept bringing up Ashton’s stripping in the past, over and over, and even had a game designed to make him take his clothes off right there. Ashton was a good sport about it, but he very obviously did not want to take his pants off, and it was awkward with his shoes, socks and mic pack that had to be dealt with. Andy didn’t even ask about Ashton’s ankle, or if any permanent damage was done, how long the healing took ... nothing like that. Just always brought the dialog back to stripping.

I felt so bad for Ashton, and I don’t understand why it’s allowed that Andy can regularly do this to men on his show as if it’s somehow okay because he is gay.  He’s using his position of power to pressure men into showing him their bare bodies.  Is that not part of what the #metoo movement is about? Doesn’t he always pretend to be very serious and supportive about the #metoo movement? Doesn’t he want equality for the LGBTQ community? That means the rules should apply to him, too. He’s disgusting.

^^^^ YES to all of this! ^^^^

Edited by Teri313
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Depends she could be referring to it simply in terms of how many orgasms she had not how many they both had which would probably indicate he has a lot of stamina. Though if he recovers quickly that 5 times would indicate than it doesn’t really matter. 

This very clinical analysis of Rhylee's gushing morning after is SO FUNNY!!!!!

• Love 5
9 hours ago, PumpkinPK said:

But Brent is trained.  He is a certified scuba diver.  He is very familiar with lines.   He didn't go in cold.  He didn't do anything that could hurt Ashton. 

On the other hand, we have Rylee who is the proud licensed boat captain who froze.  Thank goodness Brent was there to do what was exactly the right thing to do and thank you Brent for breaking the fourth wall.

• Love 14
59 minutes ago, breezy424 said:

But Brent is trained.  He is a certified scuba diver.  He is very familiar with lines.   He didn't go in cold.  He didn't do anything that could hurt Ashton. 

On the other hand, we have Rylee who is the proud licensed boat captain who froze.  Thank goodness Brent was there to do what was exactly the right thing to do and thank you Brent for breaking the fourth wall.

I don't think he hurt Ashton at all and am so grateful that he was there!  I did not know about his training and only knew of him as a camera operator.

So glad this forum has people who explain things to us who don't know about boating.  Since this episode aired, I have learned more from this forum about boating than I have known in my whole life.

The next time we go on a cruise, I certainly will not be grumbling when we have to do the muster station drill.

• Like 1
  • Love 11
On 12/15/2018 at 5:01 PM, greyflannel said:

On a less serious note, I think Adrian might benefit from a refresher course on basic prep. When he was plating some fresh pineapple, he left a bunch of eyes (those prickly brown spots) on the prepped fruit. Those are really not pleasant to eat. Also, he had a couple of cuts on his hand that had bled and kind of dried around and under his thumbnail. Really pretty gross. Aside from that, I appreciate a drama free and reasonably creative chef for a change.

I'm not sure if it was Adrian but I think it may have been him because I haven't watched any cooking shows for a few months now but.......a chef (Adrian???) licked his fingers and continued to prepare food. Now that I think of it, it probably wasn't Adrian or we would have had plenty of feedback about that on this forum.

1 hour ago, luvthepros said:

I'm not sure if it was Adrian but I think it may have been him because I haven't watched any cooking shows for a few months now but.......a chef (Adrian???) licked his fingers and continued to prepare food. Now that I think of it, it probably wasn't Adrian or we would have had plenty of feedback about that on this forum.

It was Rocky who licked her fingers while she was preparing food for the guests, and just kept on handling the food. So gross!

• Love 1

One of the things that I am surprised that no one has mentioned yet (unless I missed it!) is that Josiah was the one who came out and did a detailed radio call to the Cap, letting him know who was overboard. Then it was Kate that you see heading to the back with the life preserver ring. So basically it was the interior that we see making the right moves and nothing from the deck crew. 

• Love 22
15 minutes ago, slaterain said:

One of the things that I am surprised that no one has mentioned yet (unless I missed it!) is that Josiah was the one who came out and did a detailed radio call to the Cap, letting him know who was overboard. Then it was Kate that you see heading to the back with the life preserver ring. So basically it was the interior that we see making the right moves and nothing from the deck crew. 

Actually, I believe Ross hurried down from a deck above to assist with uncleating the line.  I think he was only barely visible in one of the shots.  However, I do think the cameraman got to it first.

• Love 11
52 minutes ago, mcjen said:

Actually, I believe Ross hurried down from a deck above to assist with uncleating the line.  I think he was only barely visible in one of the shots.  However, I do think the cameraman got to it first.

Yeah Ross is definitely down there quickly and next to the cameraman who was closer, Ross was on an upper deck when it happened but got there quickly unlike Rhylee who was literally right there.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 9
54 minutes ago, mcjen said:

You are right - I did blank on that - but I was still impressed that it was Josiah who gave the Cap the rundown and Kate that brought the lifering.  Ross does seem to have a good head on his shoulders and is a much better bosun. I can't even imagine if this had happened on Chandler's watch. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, slaterain said:

According to Captain Lee's Twitter, Ross removed another line from it's cleat while Brent was removing his so at least 1 deckhand sprung into action. 

• Love 14

I absolutely love what Captain Lee says regarding RyeBread in his blog. Thanks to everyone for mentioning/posting that link! :-) 

"Rhylee, you just can’t seem to keep your mouth shut and insist on jerking someone’s chain.  You didn’t seem to have any issues with Ross before he became Bosun, so am I to conclude that you only have issues with authority figures. Can’t figure that out for the life of me. You are so talented but so confrontational all at the same time. Your arrogance is appalling. If you wanted to be called up early, there is an app on your phone that’s called an alarm. You should use it. Whose job is it to see that you get out of bed?  You need to figure out that the world is not your enemy, everything said to you isn’t an insult or sexist, but will seem that way if your attitude doesn’t improve. Good job on calling out man overboard on the radio, one of the three things that helped save Ashton’s life. People were saying man overboard, but you were the only one that said it on the radio where I could hear it. So important. You should be proud. During the meeting in the sky lounge, I think that’s the only time I’ve seen you speechless. I saw a softer side of you I wish we would see more often. It becomes you. Well done. I really hope you come around, I hate to see someone with your talent and ability not utilize it to the fullest. You have so much potential. We will see what happens."

• Love 12
On 12/16/2018 at 12:00 PM, PumpkinPK said:

Laughed my head off at that scene! Loved the end when Josiah said something like, "I just want to punch you in the face right now!"  :-) 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, IslandGirl said:

I absolutely love what Captain Lee says regarding RyeBread in his blog. Thanks to everyone for mentioning/posting that link! :-) 

Kadooz for the RyeBread  moniker - the one iteration of sea cow I missed.  ;-)

• Love 9
8 hours ago, Teri313 said:

It was Rocky who licked her fingers while she was preparing food for the guests, and just kept on handling the food. So gross!

Thank you. Sooo glad it wasn't Adrian. Now that you refreshed my memory....I remember now it was Rocky.

• Love 4

I gleaned a few things from Capt. Lee's twitter.

in answer to questions about emergency training:

We go thru a refresher course with everyone who is working on board with the 1st officer of the yacht. He is usually the safety and training officer on board.

and

Every crew member gets a safety briefing on the yacht by the 1st officer, it ususally takes most of the day. Everyone's papers are inspected and copied and logged in to the crew list. We have shown crew drills in the past, but we haven't shown the drills lately.

- - 

on Rhylee:

There are a lot of things looking back that could have been done. I wish that some one would have given me Ashton's location, because I could have backed the boat down and relieved the strain on the line.  But she did the right thing.

Let's give her the benefit of the doubt. She was the only one who had the presence of mind to say Man Overboard on the radio where I could hear it and respond by taking the engines out of gear. If that doesn't happen it's over so she did well. She said it when it counted.

To me, Rylee looked close to getting her feet tangled in it herself.  The whole thing was so scary.
Capt Lee:
The difference was she was on the inside of the lines and not the outside between the lines and the water, which ironically Ashton had just got done telling then what not to do. And you're right it was scary.

--

q: If trained why did no one act:

a: They are, but it is really difficult to say how anyone will react until something happens. Brent was the closest, and he did the right thing. No one really knows how they will react in an emergency until it actually happens.

- - 

Brent has been on the show for a while so he know the deal and @AshtonPienaar was very lucky.

- - 

@capthlr made me cry again with his talk to the crew. I love how the crew is one big (dysfunctional) family and Captain Lee is the tough love dad

Edited by MajorNelson
  • Love 11
On 12/15/2018 at 1:44 PM, yourmomiseasy said:

According to her instagram she is a licensed captain.  I don't know a lot about captains licenses, but she posted about being a 100 ton master and a picture of the outside of her license (it looks kind of like a passport, but is red and says something about merchant mariners).  When you hear she's an Alaskan fishing boat captain you are probably thinking a big commercial fishing vessel like a factory trawler -- I know I was.  She does chartered day trips on the boat below (and maybe some similar)

Not sure if this is where she still works, but she was working there and it looks really nice https://alaskanfishing.com/  

I don't watch The Deadliest Catch, so I don't know how big that boat is.  So maybe people more familiar with the subject were not picturing a big ole boat in their head.  I have 2 relatives that work on fishing boats in Alaska and I always just picture them on big boats but never cared enough to ask.  Maybe I will next time I see them.  

That's kind of what I thought.   That's a day trip kind of a boat, maybe one or two nights if you want to push it.   She still should have been better drilled on what to do.  The whole crew should have.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, IslandGirl said:

"Rhylee, you just can’t seem to keep your mouth shut and insist on jerking someone’s chain.  You didn’t seem to have any issues with Ross before he became Bosun, so am I to conclude that you only have issues with authority figures. Can’t figure that out for the life of me. You are so talented but so confrontational all at the same time. Your arrogance is appalling. If you wanted to be called up early, there is an app on your phone that’s called an alarm. You should use it. Whose job is it to see that you get out of bed?  You need to figure out that the world is not your enemy, everything said to you isn’t an insult or sexist, but will seem that way if your attitude doesn’t improve. Good job on calling out man overboard on the radio, one of the three things that helped save Ashton’s life. People were saying man overboard, but you were the only one that said it on the radio where I could hear it. So important. You should be proud. During the meeting in the sky lounge, I think that’s the only time I’ve seen you speechless. I saw a softer side of you I wish we would see more often. It becomes you. Well done. I really hope you come around, I hate to see someone with your talent and ability not utilize it to the fullest. You have so much potential. We will see what happens."

Thanks for sharing @ISLANDGIRL.  I don't read the blogs and was surprised at how well this was written. 

• Love 5

What I can't figure out is why, after Ashton swam to the tender, the boat didn't slow down for the tender to catch up or at least for another deckhand or maybe even the first officer (who's apparently the safety officer) to jump on and check Ashton out before making him drive the tender alone for 45 minutes?  What if he had been bleeding? What if he had passed out?  That just seemed bizarre that they continued to their anchorage.  I get that Capt said they were in choppy waters but initially when the accident happened they were still in a harbored area.

The third stew sucks again but of course that's why they are bought in anyway, to provide drama.  I would guess that Kate is so over it at this point.  Josiah is just awesome, he does his job professionally and can handle deck duties too.

Rhylee is a mess.  Freezing with Ashton overboard, then lashing out at Ross.  You could tell she was barely holding her breath with the Captain.  Ugh.

• Love 5
On 12/18/2018 at 9:15 AM, scenicbyway said:

What I can't figure out is why, after Ashton swam to the tender, the boat didn't slow down for the tender to catch up or at least for another deckhand or maybe even the first officer (who's apparently the safety officer) to jump on and check Ashton out before making him drive the tender alone for 45 minutes?  What if he had been bleeding? What if he had passed out?  That just seemed bizarre that they continued to their anchorage.  I get that Capt said they were in choppy waters but initially when the accident happened they were still in a harbored area.

Capt. Lee answered some of your questions.  In response to why not send watercraft or such back to Ashton, he said there was NO way to launch one safely in open seas.  You may not like his  answer but I'll take his assessment.  I doubt very much that he was trying to keep to some Bravo schedule as a #1 priority.  I feel sure he assessed that Ashton was capable, though in pain, of driving the tender for that time.  He also said he was in contact with Ashton continually, like every 5 minutes.  Note, in one of the After Shows, Ashton also said when he got aboard the tender he was a mental mess and Ross had to talk him through how to start the tender, but even so I'm sure what was necessary was done and it was all appropriate.

Eta: word NO, missing.

Edited by MajorNelson
  • Love 6

Cpt. Lee radioed back once Ashton was on the tnder and asked Ashton if he was okay and he said something like his ankle hurt a little but he was fine.  He was probably full of adrenaline when he answered, so he didn't realize how badly his ankle actually hurt yet.

• Love 4

Sorry to bring it up again, but I’m rewatching last weeks episode and I have a question.  Was the primary the one pitching the biggest bitch fit about the chicken? “Who ordered it?” I didn’t see anyone taking orders. “I can have chicken at home.” Yes, and I can only imagine what it would taste like compared to Adrian’s.

One last thing, Ms. High and Mighty. That dress made your ass look humongous! Poor people indeed.

One another thing about the Man Overboard situation and training.  Kate and Josiah were on the Daily Dish and said that they (she certainly with more experience) are trained for all sorts of situations but she has never had any occasion to use her knowledge, except for that one fire on a boat 1-2 seasons ago.  These are the kinds of things you prepare for and hope never to have to use.  Similarly, from Capt. Lee, on Kate Casey's podcast, he said in all his years he had never had a Man Overboard till this one.  It's a shocker as you can tell, coming close to a fatality, but he knew what to do..cut the engines, and had he known Ashton was far enough away he could have reversed to reduce (possibly) the tension on the lines involved.  It was interesting to me that this was his first Man Overboard.  He did alright.  But as he said, they were lucky.

• Love 3

Ryelee boasting about "I was the Capatain of a boat in Alaska". Well here's what I find wrong with that statement given her non-action with "man overboard".

When I was a little girl my dad took me fishing a couple of times. Just the two of us. He was required to have a licence to fish, he was also the only adult on the row boat we used to go fishing. I'm very happy to know that my dad was the Captain of a fishing boat just like Ryelee!

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

I'm very happy to know that my dad was the Captain of a fishing boat just like Ryelee!

She is a licensed Captain even if a shitty one and it’s definitely different than a fishing license. 

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

She is a licensed Captain even if a shitty one and it’s definitely different than a fishing license. 

I was just kidding. I know there's a difference. I didn't intend to offend anyone or appear ignorant.  

• Love 7
On 12/18/2018 at 7:07 AM, Jextella said:

Thanks for sharing @ISLANDGIRL.  I don't read the blogs and was surprised at how well this was written. 

@JEXTELLA I totally agree; I was so impressed with Captain Lee, & you're welcome! :-) 

On 12/17/2018 at 3:57 PM, walnutqueen said:

Kadooz for the RyeBread  moniker - the one iteration of sea cow I missed.  ;-)

@WALNUTQUEEN, thanks & lol at sea cow! :-)  I cannot stand her...

• Love 3

Just finished rewatching this after the crap fest at work and can now totally relate to being scared  AF. Today Hockey Addict gets to work (part time cashier until education program is done) and is called to managers office. Because of a shooting at another location we are doing training on handling such an issue. Well, all I can say is based on the "training". And the lack of any security at our place ......God help all of us if it happened  here

• Love 3
On 12/11/2018 at 7:20 PM, Neurochick said:

Poor people eat chicken?  Starve then heifer.

Wasn't that the most ignorant thing to say?!?! My mouth just dropped open... so lacking in class, un flipping real!!  

On 12/11/2018 at 7:24 PM, Emmeline said:

I must admit, I don’t understand the accident other than the black line was wrapped around his ankle.  That black line was also wrapped around the cleat.  Was the other end going to the tender?  There seemed to be a white line coming from the tender.  It’s surprising that the camera man saved the day.  Rhylee really just stood there in shock.

Thank you Captain Lee for the reply.

Yes, for all her announcements about being a fecking captain, then why didn't she do something besides stand there.... like Captain Lee said, standard is say it over and over again.  Doesn't she know that as a "captain"?  She bugs me bigtime.

On 12/16/2018 at 11:12 PM, PumpkinPK said:

The next time we go on a cruise, I certainly will not be grumbling when we have to do the muster station drill.

I certainly hope they have better experienced crew on a real cruise.