Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E11: Let Them Eat Chicken!

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

16 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

Two pounds of chicken breast at Publix is close to 10 bucks.  Not poor people food. 

Right? As someone who has to feed a family of 5 on one income, I make sure to stock up on chicken when it goes on sale. Ground beef, now that's what I'd call "poor people food". Or maybe corned beef hash. In the can. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, gingerella said:

Who was the primary in this bunch? If it's Brandy, then she knows Kari enough to invite her on this trip so she clearly must know what a fucking cow this Kari Klein really is. If it was someone else who was the primary then I'll give her a pass (magnanimous of me, I know...!).

1 hour ago, yourmomiseasy said:

Maybe it was some kind of incentive trip.  

Brandy laughed hardily at the "Chicken is for poor people comment", and the woman sitting next to her with dark hair (not Kerry Klein) chimed in with "You're not wrong!", so she can miss me with the "shocked and appalled".

On the other hand, being a bitch when drunk, putting on airs and making a bad joke doesn't need to ruin someone's life.  People say stupid stuff and try to be funny when they are drunk and generally act stupid.  I hate to think someone needs over-the-top harassment because of it.  These are a bunch of tacky people, including Brandy Coffey.

• Love 11
18 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

What is absolutely delightful is that she makes sure to call out the other person with full name so the mob can redirect themselves.

You mean like the "recommendations" on her employer's website?

"I'd recommend Master Klein allow me some time away from the plantation where I may be awarded some chicken dinners."  -Poor person

"I’d recommend you fire her." - A TV Watcher

https://www.kw.com/kw/agent/kari-klein

https://kariklein.kwrealty.com/about

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Snarky McSnarky said:

You mean like the "recommendations" on her employer's website?

"I'd recommend Master Klein allow me some time away from the plantation where I may be awarded some chicken dinners."  -Poor person

"I’d recommend you fire her." - A TV Watcher

https://www.kw.com/kw/agent/kari-klein

https://kariklein.kwrealty.com/about

I couldn't even finish Kari's egotistical boasting rant on her website. Married since the 1980's, 3 adult sons, moved from Michigan. Became a self absorbed wench....blah blah blah (my words not hers!) Good for you Kari.  Buh Bye!!

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

I couldn't even finish Kari's egotistical boasting rant on her website. Married since the 1980's, 3 adult sons, moved from Michigan. Became a self absorbed wench....blah blah blah (my words not hers!) Good for you Kari.  Buh Bye!!

I hadn't read it the first time around. But, yeah, wow. Like filling space to say why she, as a pretty unimpressive person, is JUST the expert you should use. Like anyone who has done any renting, buying, or renovating doesn't have (probably way) more relevant experience than she does. why on earth would you *advertise* the meagerness of your "expertise"?

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, ghoulina said:

Right? As someone who has to feed a family of 5 on one income, I make sure to stock up on chicken when it goes on sale. Ground beef, now that's what I'd call "poor people food". Or maybe corned beef hash. In the can. 

You're me: family of 5 on 1 income. We live on chicken.  Partly bc it's one thing I'm not disgusted to cook. Everything is expensive nowadays but I'm grossed out by most fish and any crustacean (bottom feeders, eww). I agree with previous poster who said that in the past, lobster was frowned upon by the wealthy bc of such a reason. These folks were out of line and maybe chef went lighter on the dinner bc of the heavier "richer" lunch they had. I couldn't eat all red meat and fish without ultimately signing out after 3 days. 

• Love 1
On 12/12/2018 at 2:08 PM, 100Proof said:

The fake drama bit was with the production tarting up the danger he was in. Ashton made a yelp which they played over several times. He was fine.

I think it's pretty clear that the danger was real.  I side-eye a lot in general, but for many reasons this incident rang true.  I don't think production needed to exaggerate it at all.  Yes, ultimately Ashton (thank goodness) was fine, but it was a frightening and serious situation..  I don't doubt that at all.

On 12/12/2018 at 2:38 PM, ghoulina said:

There's a lot of fuckery on these shows. But Captain Lee was near tears. He's a real captain. He knows when things are truly life-threatening and when others are being dramatic. His reaction was 100% authentic, IMO. I don't think there was anything fishy going on. 

Yes, his reaction was 100% authentic, and we saw him react and talk about it several times - on the boat when it happened, when he was interviewed later, and much more recently too,  Even though a lot of time has passed, he's still clearly shaken up because he knows enough to know how this could have gone.

21 hours ago, smores said:

I can't really criticize Rhylee for her actions during the Ashton overboard situation, because I am one of those people who get freakishly calm when something bad is going down and it's entirely possible that I'd have said man overboard the same way she did.  I was once at work, where I was a manager of a location, and I was on the phone with the owner of the company, when a piece of equipment caught on fire.  I was like, "Oh, can I call you back in a couple minutes? This thing just caught on fire" basically like you'd say someone showed up at the door, and then after he said sure, I hung up and went and dealt with the fire.  Put it out, cleaned up the mess from the fire extinguisher, called back and he thought I was kidding.  I was like- no, it was on fire.  It took me 20 minutes to convince him that it had, actually been a fire, I just don't freak out until everything is over and done with.  

So, Rhylee saying man overboard makes sense to me.  We also don't have much footage from that area, because Brent dropped the camera, which, thank god he did!  But, it seems like Rhylee immediately went to grab a life ring and she also was saying something about getting her mic pack off so she could go in after him.  I don't think she just stood there and did nothing.  

IMO Rhylee was useless.  Maybe you would have said "man overboard" the way she did, but she's a boat captain and should know the protocol.  Apparently, mumbling it once is not what they're supposed to do, and whether or not it's actually standard to repeat it three times (which is what I assumed Captain Lee meant), it's common sense to be loud and clear and sure that it's heard and understood.  She mumbled it once, and then made moves toward doing something, but didn't actually do anything at all.  The cameraman, whose head was rightfully someplace else since his job was to film, had his wits about him enough to remove his heavy camera and do what needed to be done.  Obviously what he did was the absolute correct thing to do, but Rhylee didn't do it or talk about doing it or make any move toward doing it.  Even just in her job as a deckhand, she should have understood the issue with the lines, but she seemed at a loss as to what to do about it.   So this "boat captain" did nothing while a cameraman saved the day.  I'm sure Ashton is grateful that Brent was right there and that his life didn't ultimately end up in the hands of useless Rhylee.

• Love 20
On 12/12/2018 at 10:18 AM, Irritable said:

It was disturbing to me that on WWHL Andy Cohen kept bringing up Ashton’s stripping in the past, over and over, and even had a game designed to make him take his clothes off right there. Ashton was a good sport about it, but he very obviously did not want to take his pants off, and it was awkward with his shoes, socks and mic pack that had to be dealt with. Andy didn’t even ask about Ashton’s ankle, or if any permanent damage was done, how long the healing took ... nothing like that. Just always brought the dialog back to stripping.

I felt so bad for Ashton, and I don’t understand why it’s allowed that Andy can regularly do this to men on his show as if it’s somehow okay because he is gay.  He’s using his position of power to pressure men into showing him their bare bodies.  Is that not part of what the #metoo movement is about? Doesn’t he always pretend to be very serious and supportive about the #metoo movement? Doesn’t he want equality for the LGBTQ community? That means the rules should apply to him, too. He’s disgusting.

Now that we have finally seen the full overboard story, I am absolutely SALIVATING to see how Kate responds to Laura next week after saying she’s been cleaning up after Kate and Josiah this whole time.  Oh girl, did you see the look on Kate’s face? Get ready for both well-deserved barrels. I can’t wait!!!!

So funny you said that because I have always thought *someone* is going to #metoo Andy and then the floodgates will open.  He is so fucking creepy with the men on the show.  

• Love 15
11 hours ago, ghoulina said:

At our local store, 85% ground beef is 6.29/LB, and strip steaks are $5.99/LB.  At Christmastime prime rib is $4.99/LB, so that's what we cook for Christmas dinner every year.  It crazy how different the prices are in different areas of the country.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, DebbieM4 said:

I think it's pretty clear that the danger was real.  I side-eye a lot in general, but for many reasons this incident rang true.  I don't think production needed to exaggerate it at all.  Yes, ultimately Ashton (thank goodness) was fine, but it was a frightening and serious situation..  I don't doubt that at all.

Yes, his reaction was 100% authentic, and we saw him react and talk about it several times - on the boat when it happened, when he was interviewed later, and much more recently too,  Even though a lot of time has passed, he's still clearly shaken up because he knows enough to know how this could have gone.

IMO Rhylee was useless.  Maybe you would have said "man overboard" the way she did, but she's a boat captain and should know the protocol.  Apparently, mumbling it once is not what they're supposed to do, and whether or not it's actually standard to repeat it three times (which is what I assumed Captain Lee meant), it's common sense to be loud and clear and sure that it's heard and understood.  She mumbled it once, and then made moves toward doing something, but didn't actually do anything at all.  The cameraman, whose head was rightfully someplace else since his job was to film, had his wits about him enough to remove his heavy camera and do what needed to be done.  Obviously what he did was the absolute correct thing to do, but Rhylee didn't do it or talk about doing it or make any move toward doing it.  Even just in her job as a deckhand, she should have understood the issue with the lines, but she seemed at a loss as to what to do about it.   So this "boat captain" did nothing while a cameraman saved the day. I'm sure Ashton is grateful that Brent was right there and that his life didn't ultimately end up in the hands of useless Rhylee.

That's probably why this exchange happened on WWHL:

Andy Cohen-"Is there anyone who you wouldn't want to work with again?"

Ashton-"Rhylee"

• Love 9
On 12/12/2018 at 10:03 PM, Mu Shu said:

Two pounds of chicken breast at Publix is close to 10 bucks.

Holy cow, I mean chicken.  You need to find a butcher.  I never, ever buy meat at a grocery store - way too expensive and the quality is sub par.

I love chicken and eat it almost every day.  I have cut way down on red meat but will have it couple times a month.

That Klein lady is just a reminder that when you are out with your boss you are still being interviewed and your actions can put you in peril.

Glad Ashton is ok.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Gemini Gipsy said:

I know it is an unpopular onion but I agreed with you when I fist watched it now I am 50/50.

Maybe it’s because I’m a bit sleep deprived, but your typo made me burst out laughing! I just think of these chuckleheads on BD:Med....

88EF41F7-1291-43EF-AA9F-10AB0E1D85C9.jpeg

• Love 4

Just wanted to add that the one man who was with that group was delightful. He was happy to see whatever they put in front of him to eat and had zero complaints. He also stayed out of the hens' gripe session over chicken.  

Also thought Adrian's reason for doing chicken in the first place was well intentioned although not well received. He was thinking like a mom for that one meal; I didn't think they should make him walk the plank over it. 

Really liked Lee's dealings with Ashton post- accident. I felt the same way when he was firing Chandler.  

Liking Ashton more and more, Laura, less and less.  She and Rhylee are a handful.  

• Love 9
On 12/11/2018 at 5:11 PM, TexasGal said:

So what did the camera guy do?  He got the whole rope in the water, or cut it?

Awww, Ross and Ashton hug got me a little weepy.

The camera guy took the rope off the cleat so that Ashton wasn’t being pulled by the boat one direction and by the tender being dragged behind in the other. That would have pulled the rope tight around his ankle and really done damage.  

Rhylie is not really a boat captain. She probably takes a skiff out fishing or something.  If you spend time on a boat with multiple crew people, the man overboard procedure is drilled into your brain, as well as the other emergency procedures such as fire or abandon ship.  She would have known, and frankly all of them should have known, that you never take your eyes off the person who fell in.  You continually point at the person so others know where he/she is.  You get on the radio and yell at the top of your voice “man overboard “ to make sure there is no doubt anywhere on the ship and anywhere around you that action needs to take place now.  

The deck hands and stews should be a part of the emergency drills.  The stews should be corralling the guests if nothing else.  

I wonder if they do the drills.   

• Love 9
On 12/12/2018 at 11:30 PM, Misslindsey said:

@yourmomiseasyI thought I heard someone else say "Oh shit, man overboard" before Riley said it into the comms.  I do not know if it was Tyler or the camera crew.

I heard it too but it was VERY VERY soft. Rhylee's declaration was immediately after the initial one I heard. I have no idea who it was who first declared "man overboard".

• Love 1

Couple of things

• Laura says something that she did not think the standards were that high, well then the standards for her work ethic are a -100 star service and  she is not on a dingy serving Big Macs and even if she was she should be giving it her all.  If she is all that and thinks she is the best Chief Stew and really wanted to show Kate up then why would she not do the best job ever.  Also, why would you only make 1 bed in a double room - so what if only 1 person is sleeping and the other bed is not being used, do you think that person wants to look at an unmade bed
  • Another point about Laura is when she does her talking heads I always feel like she is either a wanna be actress or is just one of the fakiest people, at least with Kate she know what she is whereas I get the feeling that Laura is trying to be someone and get more camera time so she can have her 15 minutes of fame
  • I want to add to peoples comments about Ashton on Watch What Happens Live and I felt so bad for him.  You could tell Andy does not care about the show and only was caring about Ashton in his perverse way.  You could so tell that Ashton did not want to do that stupid game and that he has moved on.  Reading the comments on this board especially what Irritable Said made me go to NBC Feedback and complain.  I figured I would go there since NBC owns Bravo but I do not expect anything because NBC has not changed their ways.
  • Finally can I say how much I love love Ross, Ashton and Josiah which means they won't be back next year because BD only has Lee and Kate regularly come back but hey a girl can dream
  • Enjoy your weekend
  • Love 14
13 minutes ago, Skycatcher said:

The crew reactions to this emergency would indicate that they don't do the drills. Nobody responded appropriately except the camera man.

Yup, and I'm sure all of the production staff took a safety course before they started filming.  The production crew on the Bering sea filming "Deadliest Catch" do.  It's probably something the network lawyers/insurance requires.

I also heard someone softly say "Man Overboard".  Are the camera crew miked? or  is there a mike on the camera? because I thought it was Brett saying it, somewhat to himself.

I can't imagine the amount of strength it took to unwind that rope from the cleat.  There was no slack.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, biakbiak said:

He didn’t have a knife he just undid the rope from the cleat which Rhylee could have done since she was closer.

Seems to me so many people are missing this point. Rhylee should have removed the rope from the cleat if in fact, she was closer to the situation. I would think this incident would put Rhylee in her place so she will keep her mouth shut. Rhylee.....you DON"T know it all and did not react in the proper manner in an emergency. This should humble her. But..........isn't that Rhylee giving Ross more of her lip? Girl will never get it.

• Love 18
20 minutes ago, Honey said:

Yup, and I'm sure all of the production staff took a safety course before they started filming.  The production crew on the Bering sea filming "Deadliest Catch" do.  It's probably something the network lawyers/insurance requires.

I also heard someone softly say "Man Overboard".  Are the camera crew miked? or  is there a mike on the camera? because I thought it was Brett saying it, somewhat to himself.

I can't imagine the amount of strength it took to unwind that rope from the cleat.  There was no slack.

I just rewatched the scenes of the accident several times, mostly out of curiosity of the claims Rhylee did nothing. I think you are right about Brett being the first one to say "Man Overboard" before Rhylee got on the radio, maybe it was picked up on her mic. From what I could see, Rhylee froze until he said it. then he immediately put the camera down and began removing the rope from the cleat BEFORE Rhylee called it in on the radio. There's also weird footage of people's legs, and I wonder if that's from Brett's camera on its side? I think Brett's "Man overboard" kicked Rhylee into gear, but by then, he had already begun solving the problem, and she walked away(stepped aside?). They are SO lucky he was there!

• Love 16
1 hour ago, 1SimonMom said:

Also, why would you only make 1 bed in a double room - so what if only 1 person is sleeping and the other bed is not being used, do you think that person wants to look at an unmade bed

I don't recall the details, but wasn't this turn down service? So I don't think the bed was unmade, I think she didn't "turn it down." Not that I like Laura's attitude in any way, but I can imagine differing opinions on whether it makes sense to turn down a bed that won't be used. I mean, how would an unused bed get "unmade" in the first place?

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I don't recall the details, but wasn't this turn down service? So I don't think the bed was unmade, I think she didn't "turn it down." Not that I like Laura's attitude in any way, but I can imagine differing opinions on whether it makes sense to turn down a bed that won't be used. I mean, how would an unused bed get "unmade" in the first place?

But even if there is only a single guest in a two-bed room, she surely doesn't know which one they would choose to use.  So turning down both beds just makes sense to me.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, mcjen said:

But even if there is only a single guest in a two-bed room, she surely doesn't know which one they would choose to use.  So turning down both beds just makes sense to me.

Like I said, I think there can be differing opinions. One might assume that the same bed that was used last night will be used tonight. And it's not like the other bed is unclean, or unusable. Just doesn't have the cover turned back and a chocolate on the pillow :)

• Love 1

In one of the linked Youtube videos above Kate mentions that Brett either works or has worked on Survivor and The Amazing Race so he is familiar with different types of adrenaline situations and has picked up info on what to do during those types of situations, so TPTB usually put him on the deck crew to film. She also, mentioned that there is a very strict fourth wall clause in the productions crews contracts,which I assume most reality shows have, that he chose to break when putting down his camera and helping.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, dleighg said:

Like I said, I think there can be differing opinions. One might assume that the same bed that was used last night will be used tonight. And it's not like the other bed is unclean, or unusable. Just doesn't have the cover turned back and a chocolate on the pillow :)

You make a reasonable point.  I was assuming this business occurred on the first night of the charter, not the second.  I don't record the show so I'd have to wait for it's next air time to check that.  Not that it matters that much. :-) 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Honey said:

I kept thinking, "Why doesn't ANYone have a fucking pocket knife on them?! Just CUT THE DAMN LINE ALREADY!" I mean shit, it's not rocket science. I can't believe nobody seems to carry a knife on a vessel that has lines that might need to be cut in an emergency.

• Love 5

Captain Lee reminded me of myself attempting to discipline my kids once they've done something awful to the other sibling. So first, a proper "bollocking" as Conrad on BDM would say. Then, a meeting about the incident.  Then, in case the wrongdoer(s) didn't get it, go to the footage of what happened or could happen (or reenact it showing what could result). Sometimes you have to drive the point home, HARD. He was a total dad here and went through all the emotions- anger, disappointment, sadness. It's hard when kids eff up but when grown adults eff up so badly, I imagine it is all the emotions ON STEROIDS. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

In one of the linked Youtube videos above Kate mentions that Brent either works or has worked on Survivor and The Amazing Race so he is familiar with different types of adrenaline situations and has picked up info on what to do during those types of situations, so TPTB usually put him on the deck crew to film. She also, mentioned that there is a very strict fourth wall clause in the productions crews contracts,which I assume most reality shows have, that he chose to break when putting down his camera and helping.

I joked about Brent being fired for saving Ashton, but I think only a handful of things might have helped to save Brent's job for him: the positive response from the cast and Bravo regarding Brent's intervention, the mostly consequence free  ineptitude of the crew is a long running conceit of Below Deck, and that Bravo's stock in trade is a sort of bloodless grotesquerie (not particularly physical, injurious, or bloody; physical injuries have never been well received by Bravo viewers) so having a deck hand actually lose a foot or his life wouldn't have been good. The other thing that probably helped is that the first very quiet "man overboard" call out was likely Brent over on one of the production channels, which ensured that producers could get other cameras there to get footage of the incident. Also his underwater filming experience probably makes him harder to replace.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3561527/

• Love 4
2 hours ago, SailorGirl said:

I couldn't believe that Rhylee just stood there

From the first time they aired that clip, one thing that I noticed was when she turns around from Ashton being pulled in, we see her face, and she has a grimace that would be like a person would have if someone else at the table spills a glass of water-like, "Yikes, shoot, that's too bad".  I wanted to see the clip before assuming she really had reacted in such a nonchalant way, and, after seeing the whole thing-yep, she really did not seem to get the urgency of what was going on.  She still doesn't seem to get the gravity of the situation.

• Love 7
12 hours ago, Honey said:

At our local store, 85% ground beef is 6.29/LB, and strip steaks are $5.99/LB.  At Christmastime prime rib is $4.99/LB, so that's what we cook for Christmas dinner every year.  It crazy how different the prices are in different areas of the country.

Yea, but I can stretch a pound of ground beef much further than a pound of steak. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, HunterHunted said:

I joked about Brent being fired for saving Ashton, but I think only a handful of things might have helped to save Brent's job for him: the positive response from the cast and Bravo regarding Brent's intervention, the mostly consequence free  ineptitude of the crew is a long running conceit of Below Deck, and that Bravo's stock in trade is a sort of bloodless grotesquerie (not particularly physical, injurious, or bloody; physical injuries have never been well received by Bravo viewers) so having a deck hand actually lose a foot or his life wouldn't have been good. The other thing that probably helped is that the first very quiet "man overboard" call out was likely Brent over on one of the production channels, which ensured that producers could get other cameras there to get footage of the incident. Also his underwater filming experience probably makes him harder to replace.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3561527/

As cynical as I am enterprises doing the right thing like Bravo, I simply can't imagine that guy would ever be considered for a firing.  He saved a life.  Not to mention, if he did absolutely nothing I would think Bravo would be sued if the cameraman did nothing for fear of being terminated.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, sasha206 said:

As cynical as I am enterprises doing the right thing like Bravo, I simply can't imagine that guy would ever be considered for a firing.  He saved a life.  Not to mention, if he did absolutely nothing I would think Bravo would be sued if the cameraman did nothing for fear of being terminated.

I'd like to think that as a human being, someone wouldn't do nothing out of fear of losing a job. Jobs are replaceable. Human lives are not.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, ninjago said:

From the first time they aired that clip, one thing that I noticed was when she turns around from Ashton being pulled in, we see her face, and she has a grimace that would be like a person would have if someone else at the table spills a glass of water-like, "Yikes, shoot, that's too bad".  I wanted to see the clip before assuming she really had reacted in such a nonchalant way, and, after seeing the whole thing-yep, she really did not seem to get the urgency of what was going on.  She still doesn't seem to get the gravity of the situation.

This is what disturbed me. The fact that she turned around was really scary to me. If I saw someone fall overboard, I would NOT take my eyes off of them. Eyes on every second to see and track where they are. I can't imagine turning my eyes away. There could be a reason why she did this but I don't understand. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, SailorGirl said:

I am not saying this to be nasty -- there is just no other way to say this. You have absolutely no understanding of how boat lines work. They in NO WAY played up the danger he was in.

Don't know if you read, but I did wind up resolving it (for me) as a real dangerous event.

It's just that, as far as 'reality shows' go, I don't trust them for the time of day. ;-D

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if there wasn't an actual 'professional' staff that actually did shit, while we get staged screwed up events with the 'cast', lol

Edited by 100Proof
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, gingerella said:

I kept thinking, "Why doesn't ANYone have a fucking pocket knife on them?! Just CUT THE DAMN LINE ALREADY!" I mean shit, it's not rocket science. I can't believe nobody seems to carry a knife on a vessel that has lines that might need to be cut in an emergency.

I would think boat lines, especially on large tonnage vessels, are not something you can slice through easily.  They perhaps could spend a half hour trying to cut through but would give up long before. Think about the strength of even that thinner white line having to pull that tender along given the the tenders weight, resistance of water times how fast the yacht is dragging it along

Edited by 100Proof
  • Love 4

The line they were using is called Spectra and it is cut resistant, but there are ceramic rigging knifes specifically made for it and materials like it.  I would assume that on a yacht using such line they would have the proper knives for cutting it.

• Love 15
7 hours ago, sasha206 said:

5 hours ago, NoWhammies said:

I'd like to think that as a human being, someone wouldn't do nothing out of fear of losing a job. Jobs are replaceable. Human lives are not.

Bravo would absolutely not be successfully sued if the cameraman did nothing for a number of reasons that has absolutely nothing to do with either Brent's or Ashton's employment contracts:

• People die in this industry whether their are cameras present or not. The US Coast Guard keeps track of the number and types of boating deaths in US waters. People die. It's not a regular course of business, but it's not completely unheard of either.*

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/may/26/superyachts-something-goes-wrong-raise-the-anchor

• In most jurisdictions, there is no 3rd party Good Samaritan duty to provide care. In most places, there is a duty for the owner to make sure the environment is reasonably safe. There is also probably a duty for someone licensed, like Captain Lee, to ensure that safety laws and requirements are being adhered to. However, you cannot just invent an obligation or a duty for a client to provide care just because they happen to have a member of their party with relevant training or experience. There is a bit of a complicating factor because the production company, Little Wooden Boat, is the client, but they also hire the yacht staff. Many owners engage yacht staff management companies to hire the crew. However, there's probably a significant amount of insurance covering the staff hiring and a decent amount of indemnification language in the contract.
  • Finally and most importantly if you can't demonstrate that Little Wooden Boat was obviously and completely negligent in hiring the deck crew that it hired, you can't really make a claim that Ashton had no business being on the deck crew and reasonably couldn't rely on the members of his deck crew.

People try to bring lawsuits against reality tv shows and production companies all the time. For the most part, they are not successful. Even when there is some merit to their argument, the tv show and production company have every incentive drag it out so that costs the plaintiff too much to litigate it and then throw a settlement at the plaintiff when things are getting desperate on either side. The two cases that I'm thinking of are both helicopter accidents: one was on The Challenge and the other was for a Discovery show. The Discovery show incident is especially bad because the production company knew that the helicopter pilot had trouble flying under certain conditions both in his license and safety records and because the pilot informed the production company that he had trouble flying while the cameras and lights were on in the copter.

http://www.mcmc-law.com/discovery-channel-settles-on-set-helicopter-accident-lawsuit/

What happened with Ashton was scary and terrible, but I have very little doubt that had it turned out terribly that Bravo and/or Little Wooden Boat would have faced little or no liability. It's about what you reasonably would expect of them. It's reasonable to assume that they'd put you on a boat with no mechanical issues with a crew that is at least minimally trained and not in the middle of an area known for piracy or during hurricane season. Is it reasonable to expect that a cameraperson assist in the rescue of a member of the yacht crew when there may not be any independent verification that the cameraperson has the skills to help and wouldn't necessarily make the situation worse. No, it's not necessarily reasonable to expect that.

*It's not the best legal argument to say that your kid died doing a job where people can be injured or killed because someone else on staff, but not under the supervision of your kid's supervisor might have had the skills to save your child and based on your speculation that person should have intervened despite there being absolutely no confirmation that the other person had skills that would have saved your kid. Furthermore the flip side of this is that if Brent should have intervened, he should be held liable for causing Ashton more injuries if he'd intervened badly. This is why you don't make arguments like this. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Here's how a REAL Alaskan boat captain and crew react to to a man overboard - on another boat :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1z-hdqEewI

I've seen the man overboard or caught in the bite situation a few times on The Deadliest Catch over the years, and have never seen anyone react (or, should I say, not react) the way RyeLea did.

I saw that episode when it first aired.  Jonathan was so emotional with the guy in the galley.  He was really lucky the Time Bandit was right there.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

The line they were using is called Spectra and it is cut resistant, but there are ceramic rigging knifes specifically made for it and materials like it.  I would assume that on a yacht using such line they would have the proper knives for cutting it.

Learn something new every day!  ;)

Edited by 100Proof
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

In one of the linked Youtube videos above Kate mentions that Brett either works or has worked on Survivor and The Amazing Race so he is familiar with different types of adrenaline situations and has picked up info on what to do during those types of situations, so TPTB usually put him on the deck crew to film. She also, mentioned that there is a very strict fourth wall clause in the productions crews contracts,which I assume most reality shows have, that he chose to break when putting down his camera and helping.

It's amazing to me that Brent simply "picked up info" and did the absolutely correct thing while Rhylee, who is supposedly experienced and trained seemed completely at a loss and did nothing.  Knowing what to do and actually doing it is part of her job.  Not part of Brent's job.  Her job.  I'm sure Brent also used common sense, something Rhylee seems to be lacking.

And then she mouths off to Ross like the entitled bitch she is.  She's not only irritating and useless (and not too bright), but she's a liability.  I think she's just awful in so many ways. 

• Love 19
6 hours ago, Honey said:

I saw that episode when it first aired.  Jonathan was so emotional with the guy in the galley.  He was really lucky the Time Bandit was right there.

Yup.  When I saw Captain Lee get all choked up talking about the incident, it reminded me of Captain Jonathan doing the same thing when recounting his story.

• Love 4

From Captain Lee's blog it looks like he recognizes that Laura is a problem. I wonder if he will have sense enough to lineup another stew before he lets her go so there's no gap in service for the rest of the crew. 

Kate's ultimatum (in the previews) should give him a heads up to the problem, if in the timeline of the show, he isn't already aware.

Edited by Skycatcher
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, 100Proof said:

Learn something new every day!  ;)

Yes.  This is a thing I didn't know before yesterday.  I watched the show, watched the videos on youtube, and read Lee's blog, so I knew what kind of line was used.  Then when I saw the ridiculous assertion that it couldn't be cut in an emergency situation I spent ~4 minutes googling and reading.  I assume if I was actually into boating it is a thing I would have already known and not needed to look up.  

• Love 4
On 12/14/2018 at 4:09 AM, terrymct said:

The camera guy took the rope off the cleat so that Ashton wasn’t being pulled by the boat one direction and by the tender being dragged behind in the other. That would have pulled the rope tight around his ankle and really done damage.  

Rhylie is not really a boat captain. She probably takes a skiff out fishing or something.  If you spend time on a boat with multiple crew people, the man overboard procedure is drilled into your brain, as well as the other emergency procedures such as fire or abandon ship.  She would have known, and frankly all of them should have known, that you never take your eyes off the person who fell in.  You continually point at the person so others know where he/she is.  You get on the radio and yell at the top of your voice “man overboard “ to make sure there is no doubt anywhere on the ship and anywhere around you that action needs to take place now.  

The deck hands and stews should be a part of the emergency drills.  The stews should be corralling the guests if nothing else.  

I wonder if they do the drills.   

According to her instagram she is a licensed captain.  I don't know a lot about captains licenses, but she posted about being a 100 ton master and a picture of the outside of her license (it looks kind of like a passport, but is red and says something about merchant mariners).  When you hear she's an Alaskan fishing boat captain you are probably thinking a big commercial fishing vessel like a factory trawler -- I know I was.  She does chartered day trips on the boat below (and maybe some similar)

Not sure if this is where she still works, but she was working there and it looks really nice https://alaskanfishing.com/  

I don't watch The Deadliest Catch, so I don't know how big that boat is.  So maybe people more familiar with the subject were not picturing a big ole boat in their head.  I have 2 relatives that work on fishing boats in Alaska and I always just picture them on big boats but never cared enough to ask.  Maybe I will next time I see them.  

• Love 4