Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E11: Let Them Eat Chicken!

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Why didn’t they put “no peasant foods” on their pref sheets?

why didn’t they note that food for poor people would be unacceptable?

5 hours ago, biakbiak said:

The main thing about the chicken is that not one person said it was bad and even though they were all bitching several of them continued to eat it even if it was “beneath” them so they are all just obnoxious assholes.

Did any of them finish their chicken plates and then stuffed their pie holes with the scallops too?

• Love 7
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

But they literally used the words amazing and delicious in addition to good as they were bitching about it so it did in fact make their palate stand up.

If you announced that we were having "steamed chicken breasts" for dinner, my response would be "Oh..........how...ummm.......nice." 

Perhaps after I tasted it my attitude would change, but initially.........ho hum.

And yes they were impressed with the flavors,  until they realized they'd been served po' folks meat. Might as well have been steamed 'possum!

Edited by Skycatcher
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

The point was that they were being served "chicken" rather than something like "coq au vin". How are they going to impress their friends about the expensive cruise they took if they can't be pretentious about what they were served?

It was lunch though, wasn’t it? Id expect something less fancy at Lunch, even on a yacht

• Love 1
6 hours ago, biakbiak said:

The main thing about the chicken is that not one person said it was bad and even though they were all bitching several of them continued to eat it even if it was “beneath” them so they are all just obnoxious assholes.

It seemed like when the main? one-the drunk one in the blue dress-asked "Did someone put chicken on their preference sheet?" and then started to complain about it being low-rent, the rest of them suddenly changed their tunes, from saying it was delicious and looked good, to saying it was unacceptable and for poor people.  Like, none of them wanted to be outed as being "poor"!

• Love 15
2 minutes ago, NaughtyKitty said:

I think also that if it had a better name than "steamed chicken" they would have liked it more.  Chicken D'Adrian, Tahitian Chicken,  local fowl with aromatics. Anything better than STEAMED CHICKEN. That sounds nasty even to a poor person like me!

I have to agree. Steamed chicken sounds almost as bad as "boiled chicken." How about Gently Poached Fowl l'Italien (I don't speak Italian so don't shoot me). Wasn't it with mozarella and prociutto?

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

one of them stated that duck was also beneath them

Did someone really say that (I remember "poultry" but I'm not arguing the point). Duck (especially duck breast) is as expensive as beef, assuming that's their criterion. Idiots.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, dleighg said:

Did someone really say that (I remember "poultry" but I'm not arguing the point). Duck (especially duck breast) is as expensive as beef, assuming that's their criterion. Idiots.

Yes the mentioned duck specifically, that’s when the woman added “no poultry at all”, to the discussion. They probably have no idea what four grad is only that it’s something expensive they should aspire to want.

Edited by biakbiak
6 hours ago, Skycatcher said:

There are some "entertainers" who just automatically go into my cheap and tawdry file. She is one of them.  I suppose her "do not vaccinate" campaign lends her some pale aura of respectability in some circles, but I think she's looney tunes and not worth the effort it would take to change channels, unless it was to get away from her blatherings.

For last night's WWwhatever show I saw her name and tuned out.   I didn't even realize Ashton with on.

Totally agree, I would've watched if it wasn't for her.  Skank skeeves me.

• Love 3

There might have been some producer shenanigans too.

They were filming Adrian preparing the chicken and talking about how he was going to make that the dish.

It's as if they knew the guests were going to make those comments about chicken ahead of time, to film Adrian making chicken?

I rarely order red meat myself.  In some countries, if you order, you're getting a cut which could be a couple of kilos so it would cost $100 or more and is really meant for at least two people to take on.

Certainly chicken is one of the lower-priced options on menus so maybe that is their bias against it.  But the higher price of beef is about the increased cost of raising cattle, from how much you feed it, how much land you need to raise, etc.

It isn't necessarily that it tastes better and taste is subjective anyways.  Of course the high price confers it some status.  Some people consider it a sign of having made it that they could afford to eat steak often or all the time.

I didn't eat poultry until I was well into adulthood myself, because of the health concerns related to red meat.  I know some people who won't eat poultry though I don't think it's a status thing for these particular people.

• Love 2

How obnoxious does Laura have to be to make me hate her almost as much as I hate Caroline? All she had to do was shut up, do a pretty easy job (in my opinion), and not be a total jerk about it. I loved when Adrien basically told her to shut up and do her job. The moment Laura lost me forever was when she when she said basically, “I got the vibe we just didn’t care around here.” So her argument was that she shouldn’t bother to do a good job because she didn’t think anyone was else was going to do a good job. Talk about no respect for herself or her own job. Of course that argument was bullshit, because Laura is obviously one of those weaklings who can never admit to doing anything wrong. God forbid she embrace adulthood and admit to a human failing.

Rhylee is foul. Anger is her default emotion. Ross handled her as well as anyone could, but I doubt that anyone works with Rhylee and walks away talking about what a happy experience it was. Thank God Brent the cameraman was around when Ashton went overboard. Captain Rhylee sure couldn’t handle it.

• Love 22

I guess someone should tell the Barefoot Contessa that chicken is low class. She had Emily Blunt and Lin Manuel Miranda on the show this past week. What did she prepare and serve?  Capon which is a castrated rooster.  She even had Emily help her prepare it.  The horror!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, noveltylibrary said:

Totally agree, I would've watched if it wasn't for her.  Skank skeeves me.

I watched it despite her and it wasn't worth it.  Andy sucks at his job.

Outing myself as a poor --- I'm waiting for karaage to be delivered right now.  

• Love 4

That is one bad thing about being a guest on this show, I never pay attention to the names and when one or two guests on a charter are vile I lump them all together That said I don’t really feel bad for people who go on this show.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 13
20 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

I don't think that's the case with the guests.  They seemed more like new money trying to come up.  Adrian was dead on that they just wanted whatever was expensive and that was the problem with the chicken.  Then there was the incredulous "how is this our lives?" from one of them, maybe it's just me, but that always seems to come from someone that isn't used to nice things.

Not to defend Ryhlee, because I detest her, but I think part of the point for her is that she has a captains license and therefore is a captain whether she is captaining a boat or not.  She seemed very proud of getting the license on IG and got heated mentioning it on WWHL last week when someone said she was formerly a captain.  I think it is a lot of work to get the license.

There needs to be something worse than the worst to describe her.  

Ross is the parent of a small child and is probably used to handling temper tantrums.

Those guests were total rubes.

Two pounds of chicken breast at Publix is close to 10 bucks.  Not poor people food. 

Imagine being a guy and picking up Rhylee and her hot body thinking you scored.  That heifer is a honey badger. 

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

Those guests were total rubes.

Two pounds of chicken breast at Publix is close to 10 bucks.  Not poor people food. 

Imagine being a guy and picking up Rhylee and her hot body thinking you scored.  That heifer is a honey badger. 

Screw Publix... was buying 10lb bag leg/thigh quarters around six and a half bucks walmart! lol.

Edited by 100Proof
Just now, 100Proof said:

Screw Publix... was buying 10lb bag leg/thigh quarters around six and a half bucks walmart! lol.

Poor people food!  Legs and thighs!  

Should have served them a pile of neck bones and some headcheese.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

Poor people food!  Legs and thighs!  

Should have served them a pile of neck bones and some headcheese.

In the olden days wings were the garbage part of the bird they couldn't give away till hot wings became a thing and they became the price of gold

5 hours ago, ninjago said:

It seemed like when the main? one-the drunk one in the blue dress-asked "Did someone put chicken on their preference sheet?" and then started to complain about it being low-rent, the rest of them suddenly changed their tunes, from saying it was delicious and looked good, to saying it was unacceptable and for poor people.  Like, none of them wanted to be outed as being "poor"!

2 hours ago, howiveaddict said:

I guess someone should tell the Barefoot Contessa that chicken is low class. She had Emily Blunt and Lin Manuel Miranda on the show this past week. What did she prepare and serve?  Capon which is a castrated rooster.  She even had Emily help her prepare it.  The horror!

So glad I waited to post as I was 100% gonna comment on the Barefoot Contessa’s husband Jeffrey loving a roast chicken while at home in the Hamptons...  

Has anyone told him that they are poor yet?   Hmmm

Edited by tabloidlover
  • Love 4

I thought I heard someone else say "Oh shit, man overboard" before Riley said it into the comms.  I do not know if it was Tyler or the camera crew. I think Ross was upstairs walking away from everything when it all went down. Did anyone else hear it or was it just me?

Thanks @yourmomiseasy for posting the links to the YouTube videos. I was in a hurry, but wanted to point them out because I found them more informative than what Ashton said on WWHL.

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 3

Ok.  So after watching the incident twenty times.... The white line (the tender line) got wrapped around Ashton's ankle and pulled him off the boat.  While he was being pulled off the boat, the thick black line also got wrapped around the same ankle.  So, between the pressure of the yacht pulling him and the tender bloat resisting it,  the pressure of the two boats were digging into his ankle with enough force to sever his ankle.

Brent, the camera man,  quickly went into action by uncleating the black line which released the pressure.  Ashton was still attached to the tender by the white line but that line was attached to a boat that had no power.  The white line was not the crucial line.  The black line was.  If Ashton just got pulled off by the tender line, it wouldn't have been a life or death situation.

BTW, Brent is a certified scuba diver is probably very aware of 'line' safety.

• Love 11

I can't really criticize Rhylee for her actions during the Ashton overboard situation, because I am one of those people who get freakishly calm when something bad is going down and it's entirely possible that I'd have said man overboard the same way she did.  I was once at work, where I was a manager of a location, and I was on the phone with the owner of the company, when a piece of equipment caught on fire.  I was like, "Oh, can I call you back in a couple minutes? This thing just caught on fire" basically like you'd say someone showed up at the door, and then after he said sure, I hung up and went and dealt with the fire.  Put it out, cleaned up the mess from the fire extinguisher, called back and he thought I was kidding.  I was like- no, it was on fire.  It took me 20 minutes to convince him that it had, actually been a fire, I just don't freak out until everything is over and done with.  

So, Rhylee saying man overboard makes sense to me.  We also don't have much footage from that area, because Brent dropped the camera, which, thank god he did!  But, it seems like Rhylee immediately went to grab a life ring and she also was saying something about getting her mic pack off so she could go in after him.  I don't think she just stood there and did nothing.  

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, smores said:

because I am one of those people who get freakishly calm when something bad is going down and it's entirely possible that I'd have said man overboard the same way she did.  I

She wasn’t freakishly calm she was frozen and did shit to attempt to save him which she should have been trained to do. Ross who was on an upper deck managed to get to the platform by the cameraman faster than her and of course the cameraman was also farther away, not a crew member, and not a captain and had to save the day why she stood there that’s not how you want someone to react on a boat.

• Love 22
43 minutes ago, smores said:

I can't really criticize Rhylee for her actions during the Ashton overboard situation, because I am one of those people who get freakishly calm when something bad is going down and it's entirely possible that I'd have said man overboard the same way she did.  I was once at work, where I was a manager of a location, and I was on the phone with the owner of the company, when a piece of equipment caught on fire.  I was like, "Oh, can I call you back in a couple minutes? This thing just caught on fire" basically like you'd say someone showed up at the door, and then after he said sure, I hung up and went and dealt with the fire.  Put it out, cleaned up the mess from the fire extinguisher, called back and he thought I was kidding.  I was like- no, it was on fire.  It took me 20 minutes to convince him that it had, actually been a fire, I just don't freak out until everything is over and done with.  

So, Rhylee saying man overboard makes sense to me.  We also don't have much footage from that area, because Brent dropped the camera, which, thank god he did!  But, it seems like Rhylee immediately went to grab a life ring and she also was saying something about getting her mic pack off so she could go in after him.  I don't think she just stood there and did nothing.  

I mean, in your situation, it was something that was contained and was a fix that you could handle. Ashton going overboard how he did was something that everyone needed attention drawn to all over the boat and was not a situation she could’ve handled on her own, nor did she. I mean, I’m glad she got one announcement over the channel, but making everyone aware is hugely important and part of the job. You shout that loud and more than once. 

39 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

She wasn’t freakishly calm she was frozen and did shit to attempt to save him which she should have been trained to do. Ross who was on an upper deck managed to get to the platform by the cameraman faster than her and of course the cameraman was also farther away, not a crew member, and not a captain and had to save the day why she stood there that’s not how you want someone to react on a boat.

All of this. 

• Love 13
7 hours ago, scrb said:

There might have been some producer shenanigans too.

They were filming Adrian preparing the chicken and talking about how he was going to make that the dish.

It's as if they knew the guests were going to make those comments about chicken ahead of time, to film Adrian making chicken?

I rarely order red meat myself.  In some countries, if you order, you're getting a cut which could be a couple of kilos so it would cost $100 or more and is really meant for at least two people to take on.

Certainly chicken is one of the lower-priced options on menus so maybe that is their bias against it.  But the higher price of beef is about the increased cost of raising cattle, from how much you feed it, how much land you need to raise, etc.

It isn't necessarily that it tastes better and taste is subjective anyways.  Of course the high price confers it some status.  Some people consider it a sign of having made it that they could afford to eat steak often or all the time.

I didn't eat poultry until I was well into adulthood myself, because of the health concerns related to red meat. I know some people who won't eat poultry though I don't think it's a status thing for these particular people.

That's me.  Just the thought of any bird turns my stomach.  Decades ago I was served chicken that was not cooked right, and was nearly raw in the middle.  I haven't eaten any poultry since.  It's not about status at all.

My cholesterol is quite low, so eating a nice steak won't hurt me, but I mainly like veggies.

Also, that woman was NOT a size 00, I weigh 103 pounds, and I'm not even a 00.  My daughter is 95 pounds*....she IS a 00.

*She's healthy, and eats well, we're just thin, and have a hard time gaining weight.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

PLUS, no captain of a boat who works in Alaskan waters would ever be caught dead on a boat without a very sharp knife on them.  She should have had that line cut in less than 10 seconds.

Just to add:  There should be knives in holders, installed all around that boat.  Or, at least anywhere there are line hazards.

Edited by Honey
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

So glad I waited to post as I was 100% gonna comment on the Barefoot Contessa’s husband Jeffrey loving a roast chicken while at home in the Hamptons...  

Has anyone told him that they are poor yet?   Hmmm

Those charter guests were trying to appear like the upper echelon of society but ended up making fools of themselves. Thanks for making me laugh you pretentious jackasses!

• Love 4
11 hours ago, 100Proof said:

In the olden days wings were the garbage part of the bird they couldn't give away till hot wings became a thing and they became the price of gold

That may be true, but this is the 21st century, not the olden days.

• Love 3

I took the guest's differently from most posters. IMHO, you could tell they were super excited about being on a trip like this and really could not believe they were getting to experience it. The dancing around with "this is my life" to me demonstrated that they were in awe of being where they were... and probably didn't realize a camera was on them. I could actually see a group of my friends doing something similar but the sentiment would be that I can't believe this is real. Very different from people who are very accustomed to travel like this and are nonchalant about the experience.

But I knew as soon as they complained about chicken and the remark about poor people would cause them to be skewered in social media. I, too, would be disappointed to be served a steamed chicken breast with mozzarella, tomato and basil with asparagus (something that is a weeknight meal in our house, not as good as his but still a very similar) when I'm sailing around Tahiti. I'm sure the amount of alcohol consumed contributed to the poor way the guests communicated their disappointment and lack of judgement making the joke about poor people and chicken. If I'm spending that type of money, I don't want "comfort food".  

I also saw Rhylee's reaction as not being calm in crisis but basically freezing up. She stated MOB very quietly and only once and never seemed to communicate with anyone else. The cameraman was a few steps up and had time to drop a very heavy camera and get to the cleat while she seemed to still be standing around.

But I can't wait for the showdown between Kate and Laura. 

• Love 9
7 hours ago, Honey said:

Decades ago I was served chicken that was not cooked right, and was nearly raw in the middle

Same here, but with fish for tacos. I can't eat any raw fish because of it.  The texture gets me every time.  Shudder. I love duck but i need to cook it thoroughly so it's considered overcooked. I just cannot take pink meat with duck. I don't understand it. 

I understand people not liking chicken but going so far to say it's for poor people! Argh that's just tacky. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Honey said:

Just to add:  There should be knives in holders, installed all around that boat.  Or, at least anywhere there are line hazards.

That'll work. Now it'll be cast members stabbing each other every other episode.   ;-D

• Love 7
15 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:
15 hours ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

Some tweets regarding ChickenGate:

What is absolutely delightful is that she makes sure to call out the other person with full name so the mob can redirect themselves.

Who was the primary in this bunch? If it's Brandy, then she knows Kari enough to invite her on this trip so she clearly must know what a fucking cow this Kari Klein really is. If it was someone else who was the primary then I'll give her a pass (magnanimous of me, I know...!).

• Love 2
11 hours ago, smores said:

I know it is an unpopular onion but I agreed with you when I fist watched it now I am 50/50.

I was initially very impressed- I thought she was very calm, she immediately announced "man overboard" all though I did not realize it wasn't audible at the time. But still, no one else even tried until the captain started asking, right? She may have said it quietly, but at least she said it. Plus I gave her credit thinking their training could dictate that you are not to jump in after another crew member until you have the ring or some kind of security as not to make a bad situation even more dangerous, then you end up rescuing 2 people, not one. 

However, I will say this.....why bother with the mic pack? I didn't hear that part when I watched so your post is the first I heard of it, but I am annoyed by it. F*** the mic pack! It's someones LIFE in the balance. 

In the end- thank the lord for that camera man and his knife! (Ryhlee probably didn't have a knife, she isn't allowed to have sharp things.) 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Gemini Gipsy said:

thank the lord for that camera man and his knife! (Ryhlee probably didn't have a knife, she isn't allowed to have sharp things.) 

He didn’t have a knife he just undid the rope from the cleat which Rhylee could have done since she was closer.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 10

Also according to Ashton, he was down there helping because the guys working down there fucked up and got lines caught.  Since we see him talking to Rhylee, I assume it's her.  He says it is his fault and he handled it poorly and made numerous mistakes though.  I assume everyone was tired and a stupid mistake was bound to happen eventually.  Ashton explaining is in one of the videos posted up thread.  He gives a pretty decent play by play.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, yourmomiseasy said:

Also according to Ashton.... He says it is his fault and he handled it poorly and made numerous mistakes though.  

Come to think of it this is the first time anyone this season has taken full responsibility for their own actions with absolutely no excuses. Quite refreshing, and his world didn't come to an end when he did.  Other members of the crew could take a page or eight or nine (manners, cheerful attitude, etc.)  out of his book.  He may be a horndog with the ladies,  but he's a nice horndog to have around.

Edited by Skycatcher
  • Love 14