Type keyword(s) to search

Avengers: Endgame (2019)

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

Never saw Avatar.  3-D gives me a headache and puts my oldest to sleep.

I haven’t mentioned the re-release to my kids yet, but I don’t know that 7 minutes is enough for them.  They loved the movie, but already have others on their list for summer.  I am sure we’ll own the DVD.

On 6/19/2019 at 6:22 AM, Wynterwolf said:

Figured they would do something to give it a bump around FFH's release, they are determined to get it past Avatar so they'll make it happen.  Personally, the only way I care is if we see Steve coming back to Bucky and Sam after his dance with Peggy, and we find out OldSteve is from one of the alternate universes.  

The comics/movie theory sites seem to think that it will be mostly additional Spider-Man content. Using MCU 23 to hype MCU 24 is the Disney secret that all the other franchises/corporations have failed to replicate.

Avatar has a bad case of the white saviour trope - and I say that as someone who would defend The Last Samurai in this regard. But Avatar, everything about the story disgusts me.

Anyway, not sure if they will even release it in my country. If they do, I can still decide.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Jeebus Cripes said:

Eh, I'll wait to hear from fans what these clips are. I may be your bitch, Marvel, but I ain't made of money. 

Also, Avatar sucks. That is all. 

Heh. Literally all I remember of Avatar is that it had something to do with some blue humanoids, a lot of trees, and it bored me to tears. I couldn't tell you what it was supposed to be about to save my life.  I lasted about 15 minutes before I turned it off.

I would happily go see Endgame again if it wasn't already almost impossible to sit through it with no bathroom breaks without the added content. We'll probably buy the DVD the day it comes out though. 

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, swanpride said:

Avatar has a bad case of the white saviour trope - and I say that as someone who would defend The Last Samurai in this regard. But Avatar, everything about the story disgusts me.

Back when it was in theaters I described it to friends as Whitey McCracker Saves the Blue Kitty People.

I might go see the rerelease just to raise a middle finger to James Cameron, but I'm not sure MIB International is going to last past next week in my area and I'd rather see that once than take in a 4th viewing of Endgame.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, swanpride said:

Avatar has a bad case of the white saviour trope

Yeah, it's also ableist as fuck.  From my perspective, it's in the same bucket as Endgame.  Visually stunning, seriously problematic storytelling.  So the fact that they are both such high grossing films, appealing largely to cis, het, abled white people, makes perfect sense to me.  And Endgame had a definite marketing edge going in because of the massive amount of goodwill the MCU had accumulated up to that point. It will be interesting to see how Endgame will be viewed in 10 years time.  

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Jenniferbug said:

7 minutes? That's it? Yeah, that's not enough to get me to buy another $8 ticket, but nice try Marvel.

I think I may be one of the few people on the planet who have not seen Avatar.

I'm in that 'not seeing Avatar' club. My sister saw it. She said the technology was pretty impressive but the storyline was 'Dances with Wolves' in space. I like 'Dances with Wolves' just fine so I didn't need to see it again.

Pandora over at Animal Kingdom in Disney World is pretty impressive, though. And 'Avatar Flight of Passage' is an amazing ride. 

As for the the added stuff... whoo boy... I never actually went to see Endgame again after the first time. I intended to but just wound up not feeling the need for it. I don't know what the extra scene or two would have to be to get me interested. As for a Stan Lee tribute, I figured that the Marvel title with his cameos and such was already a touching and completely appropriate tribute.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, swanpride said:

I remember it being called "Dances with Smurfs" and that pretty much summed it up for me. I saw it in theaters, and while the effects were great, especially for the time, the plot and characters are basically garbage. Its loaded with magical Native American, Chiefs Hot Daughter, being paralyzed is apparently a fate worth than death, and white saviors cliches, and no interesting stories and characters to boot. I would take Endgame over Avatar any day of the week. 

Endgame has some serious issues (especially with Steve, Thor, and Natasha) but it did have a lot of great moments and the fact that it even exists and is basically coherent at all, being essentially the sequel of ten years of movies, is really impressive. Even though I would had made some different story choices, at least I felt that the people behind Endgame were trying. Everything about Avatar screamed "We only cared about the special effects and gave zero fucks about telling a good story". 

• Love 5

Is Endgame ableist?  Iron man had heart issues.  War Machine is paralyzed.  Nebula is a collection of spare parts.  Bucky has PTSD.  Thor is suffering from depression.  Usually my radar is pretty decent on this topic, but I’m not seeing it here.  What am I missing?

• Love 1

I don't really see a problem with Thor in Endgame...he is depressed and the "you are human just like everyone else" is a pretty good message. I see a problem with an audience which would laugh about a depressed man, but the way it is framed in Endgame is mostly more serious.

Count me in as someone who did not watch Avatar in theatres. I saw Titanic two times, but Avatar, yeah, nope. I tried to watch it once when it turned up on free TV but, well, it boooooored me. And disgusted me.

• Love 7
(edited)
6 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

I'll probably see it, but I have AMC A-List.

I wish there was an AMC near me. I would sign up in a heartbeat. I’m really hoping the re-release is still in theaters when Regal launches their subscription service. Then I will definitely see it. 

1 hour ago, Crs97 said:

Is Endgame ableist?  Iron man had heart issues.  War Machine is paralyzed.  Nebula is a collection of spare parts.  Bucky has PTSD.  Thor is suffering from depression.  Usually my radar is pretty decent on this topic, but I’m not seeing it here.  What am I missing?

I agree with you. For the most part I was impressed with the handling of serious issues in the midst of a complex action movie. 

My only real complaint on the subject is Bucky’s PTSD but I’m going to wait until after his Disney+ series before I really judge that.

That reminds me I loved that the movie paired Nebula and Rhodey together. I particularly loved the moment just after Nebula grabs the orb.  

Nebula: I wasn’t always like this.
James Rhodes: Me either. But we work with what we got, right?

Edited by Guest
33 minutes ago, swanpride said:

I don't really see a problem with Thor in Endgame...he is depressed and the "you are human just like everyone else" is a pretty good message. I see a problem with an audience which would laugh about a depressed man, but the way it is framed in Endgame is mostly more serious.

Count me in as someone who did not watch Avatar in theatres. I saw Titanic two times, but Avatar, yeah, nope. I tried to watch it once when it turned up on free TV but, well, it boooooored me. And disgusted me.

Good thing that the enemy was Thanos, since besides the Hulk and Captain Marvel the body that can channel the energy of a star looking soft and his being out of shape relative to everyone else is meaningless.

Part of the laughter is that the superstar image, even as far as Agents of SHIELD where every women who mentions his name swoons was a 10 year running franchise joke.

• Love 1

It is too bad that the Bucky and Sam show won't involve Steve and Natasha. Because someone on twitter pointed out that Steve, Bucky and Sam are representative for each war the US fought: Steve is the soldier who fought out of patriotism in a war which got glorified, Bucky is the soldier who was forced to fight in a war which was condemned, and Sam is the forgotten soldier in a war most americans don't want to really think about. I would add Natasha into the mix, standing for the cold war of ideologies.

It's a pretty interesting dynamic which would have been worth to being explored further.

Btw, is it me or does it seem like they are hesitant to step past Endgame? I mean, the shows are apparently all set beforehand. The Black Widow movie will be set beforehand. There is a pretty high likelihood that the second Captain Marvel movie might be set beforehand. If they announce that Shang-Chi and/or Eternals is set earlier in the timeline, I wouldn't be surprised.

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, swanpride said:

It is too bad that the Bucky and Sam show won't involve Steve and Natasha. Because someone on twitter pointed out that Steve, Bucky and Sam are representative for each war the US fought: Steve is the soldier who fought out of patriotism in a war which got glorified, Bucky is the soldier who was forced to fight in a war which was condemned, and Sam is the forgotten soldier in a war most americans don't want to really think about. I would add Natasha into the mix, standing for the cold war of ideologies.

It's a pretty interesting dynamic which would have been worth to being explored further.

Btw, is it me or does it seem like they are hesitant to step past Endgame? I mean, the shows are apparently all set beforehand. The Black Widow movie will be set beforehand. There is a pretty high likelihood that the second Captain Marvel movie might be set beforehand. If they announce that Shang-Chi and/or Eternals is set earlier in the timeline, I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm curious since I don't know the comics original history that well. If Bucky was a child sidekick was he forced to fight in Vietnam, he would have seemed to be old man near retirement Sergeant Barnes by then where as Korea, the Forgotten War would fit the really don't think about description. But Vietnam and don't want  to think about fits the original comics time frame for The Falcon where as Afghanistan where his wingman was lost and the MCU Falcon doesn't. Maybe a retcon and service in Iraq also though

1 hour ago, Crs97 said:

Iron man had heart issues.  War Machine is paralyzed.  Nebula is a collection of spare parts.  Bucky has PTSD.  Thor is suffering from depression.  Usually my radar is pretty decent on this topic, but I’m not seeing it here.  What am I missing?

I wouldn't necessarily frame it as you're missing something, but I think different people will see the same material with a different perspective.  I think that's why having more diverse points of view behind the camera really is important, because it can add a richness and complexity to the story telling, especially for something on this kind of scale.  

Tony's heart issues and mental health issues have been portrayed in prior movies to good effect, I think.  But in Endgame, it wasn't part of his story (and I would say there is quite a lot of rich, white saviourism in the story they did tell for Tony here, and I'm still really uncomfortable with a lot of where they took Tony, but I'm not really in a place where I can articulate it well).  

Rhodey's paralysis was realistically used in prior movies, but has always been more for aesthetic purposes, and it's 'magically corrected by Tony's tech', so in that way it's kind of similar to how it was used in Avatar. 

Nebula is a steampunker's dream and I love her, but since she is fully functioning (albeit through tech), I don't see her as an example of realistically portrayed physical disability.  I think her issues are more in the mental health area, and I think that was handled well (tho mostly in past movies), but here there really wasn't room to address any of her issues with her father, since Tony had to be the one to best Thanos. 

Bucky's PTSD has been written and portrayed really well, but only in past movies, since he was only in this one to give Steve his blessing for leaving. 

And CH did a great job with playing Thor's depression in this movie, but it was how the rest of the characters treated him that I felt was so very, very badly done, berating and ridiculing him, and making a joke out of him at nearly every turn because this is where they were getting their 'humor' bits from, and this was the most egregious example of ableism for me because a lot of people really do believe that is how you should treat someone who is depressed (spoiler alert - IT'S NOT).  

So, other than Thor's storyline, I think the examples of ablesim were basically on par with how disability is usually portrayed in most movies, meaning it wasn't realistically addressed at all.  But Thor's treatment really does stand out to me as being harmfully portrayed, even with CH lobbying to keep Thor fat all the way through, and with Thor still being 'worthy'.  Those moments were just as they should have been, but they did nothing for me to mitigate how he was treated by his 'friends'.   

• Love 3

I saw Avatar on TV once and it was visually very pretty but boring as hell. I think they're making like three sequels or something. What could be left to say? At least Endgame was entertaining even if it has some problems.

2 hours ago, Dandesun said:

As for the the added stuff... whoo boy... I never actually went to see Endgame again after the first time. I intended to but just wound up not feeling the need for it. I don't know what the extra scene or two would have to be to get me interested. As for a Stan Lee tribute, I figured that the Marvel title with his cameos and such was already a touching and completely appropriate tribute.

I never went back either. Like you, I just don't feel the need to and I honestly don't think I can sit in the theater for over 3 hours again. At least the first time I saw it I was still on some drugs from my surgery so that made it bearable. I feel like I need to though, I want it to beat Avatar because I'm petty like that. I'll see what the folks at Reddit have to say about the extra stuff and then we'll see. I'll need to score some more drugs though. 😈

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, festivus said:

I think they're making like three sequels or something. What could be left to say?

Apparently there's 4??? And they're supposed to alternate every other year with Star Wars.  Egad, and they're all supposed to be stand alone movies, just set in the same universe.

It's interesting to me, because I think Avatar (similar to Star Wars, and the Harry Potter universe) is more about the setting and the universe that has been created, whereas the MCU was built on the characters. 

In Avatar/Star Wars, they seem to be moving to being able to tell stories with new characters but tying them together with the world building, but with the MCU it has been much more character focused. 

That was what made the MCU so strong for me, was the characters themselves and the interactions between them, and I think that's largely why Endgame didn't work for me, because the story they came up with felt like it from some alternate universe somewhere and didn't tie back to the character journeys I had been watching, and there just wasn't enough interaction between the characters to let me care.  

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Wynterwolf said:

Apparently there's 4??? And they're supposed to alternate every other year with Star Wars.  Egad, and they're all supposed to be stand alone movies, just set in the same universe.

I don’t consider them to be stand alone movies since it is following the same characters. I guess it’s good that you don’t need to remember the first one because I found the plot mind numbingly boring. Now the sequels are being described as “family dramas”. Sure isn’t that what everyone wants in a big budget very long blockbuster. 

I rarely root against a movie but I really want Endgame to pass Avatar. I’m know it’s petty but the more people raved about it the more I hated it. 

4 minutes ago, Dani said:

Now the sequels are being described as “family dramas”. Sure isn’t that what everyone wants in a big budget very long blockbuster. 

(OMG I died when I read Cameron compared them to The Godfather, though with it being one of those multi-generational things, it's hard to stay how much they'd use the original characters.  And with meeting new "tribes", this just sounds like White Man Perpetuates Cultural Appropriation on a grand scale.)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Wynterwolf said:

And CH did a great job with playing Thor's depression in this movie, but it was how the rest of the characters treated him that I felt was so very, very badly done, berating and ridiculing him, and making a joke out of him at nearly every turn because this is where they were getting their 'humor' bits from, and this was the most egregious example of ableism for me because a lot of people really do believe that is how you should treat someone who is depressed (spoiler alert - IT'S NOT).  

This was my impression when I saw the movie the first time, but on repeat viewings it wasn't the case for me.   Tony makes the "Lebowski" comment and Rocket is harsh (and this is par for the course for both characters) but the others view Thor with a combination of sadness/understanding.  Obviously mileages vary but I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it again - I didn't feel like Thor's condition was taken lightly or as a source of amusement for the characters.   For the viewers, he was portrayed comically in some scenes but not in others. 

The scene where they ask Thor to tell what he knows about the stones and he goes off on a tangent about the Dark Elves and Jane, for example, Tony is surprisingly gentle as he redirects the ramblings. 

I think they walked a tightrope with the Thor characterization and not always successfully; granted they were helped immensely by CH's performance and natural charm.

4 hours ago, Dani said:

That reminds me I loved that the movie paired Nebula and Rhodey together. I particularly loved the moment just after Nebula grabs the orb.  

Nebula: I wasn’t always like this.
James Rhodes: Me either. But we work with what we got, right?

This was one of my favorite character bits as well.

As far as the re-release, I've already seen Endgame three times so will pass on a fourth for 7 additional minutes.  I don't care about Avatar (didn't interest me, didn't see it) and what movie holds what record.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, raven said:

This was my impression when I saw the movie the first time, but on repeat viewings it wasn't the case for me.

Yeah, I think everyone is going to have different thresholds.  I still can't get past Frigga telling him to "eat a salad".   That actually made me cry from feeling hurt on Thor's behalf.  

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Wynterwolf said:

Yeah, I think everyone is going to have different thresholds.  I still can't get past Frigga telling him to "eat a salad".   That actually made me cry from feeling hurt on Thor's behalf.  

See to me, that comment was said in a loving/teasing manner (not mocking), after a thoughtful conversation where she talks to him about being who he is, how to accept himself especially when things go wrong and that she loves him.  

• Love 13
Just now, raven said:

See to me, that comment was said in a loving/teasing manner, after a thoughtful conversation where she talks to him about being who he is, how to accept himself especially when things go wrong and that she loves him.  

Yeah, absolutely.... it was a gorgeous scene, and beautifully acted.  Right up until that line.  

(edited)
2 hours ago, raven said:

This was my impression when I saw the movie the first time, but on repeat viewings it wasn't the case for me.   Tony makes the "Lebowski" comment and Rocket is harsh (and this is par for the course for both characters) but the others view Thor with a combination of sadness/understanding.  Obviously mileages vary but I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it again - I didn't feel like Thor's condition was taken lightly or as a source of amusement for the characters.   For the viewers, he was portrayed comically in some scenes but not in others. 

The scene where they ask Thor to tell what he knows about the stones and he goes off on a tangent about the Dark Elves and Jane, for example, Tony is surprisingly gentle as he redirects the ramblings. 

I think they walked a tightrope with the Thor characterization and not always successfully; granted they were helped immensely by CH's performance and natural charm.

I agree. They went for the fat joke a little too often for my taste but, for me, Thor had the best character arc of all the original avengers. 

Some quick moments really stood out the second time I watched. His “I’m still worthy” just after he gets the hammer back was one. It was quick but you see just how low he had gotten in that five years and you see just how deeply his confidence in himself was shaken. 

Then when they are arguing about who gets to use the stones and he ends up pleading to be the one. CH really infused so much of Thor’s desperation into really small moments.

THOR: (hushes everyone up) It's... stop it! Just let me. (he tears up) Just let me do it. Just let me do something good. Something great.

Edited by Guest

The "eat more salat" line is for me more funny because it is such a motherly thing to say. It's not mean, it is expressing worry for his health.

Honestly, if anyone was overly the butt of jokes it was Ant-man. And the jokes weren't even all that funny. I mean, the taco joke was, but it went on too long, and it would have improved the pacing of the movie considerably to cut it. Using Scott as some sort of guinea pig was irresponsible and dangerous. Rocket being all condescending to him made zero sense, especially since for all the "I'll show you space" talk the ONE character in the line-up which never went to space in the movie is Scott.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, raven said:

This was one of my favorite character bits as well.

I agree about Rocket and Tony. Rhodey's cheez wiz line was harsh. All in all, I'm not mad about Thor's storyline here. Even an alien with god-like power can have depression and fall apart. A good reminder that no one is perfect. They could have handled it with more finesse to be sure, but Hemsworth was fantastic. 

46 minutes ago, swanpride said:

The "eat more salat" line is for me more funny because it is such a motherly thing to say. It's not mean, it is expressing worry for his health.

I considered that to be the least mean of them all because of this very reason.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Raja said:

I'm curious since I don't know the comics original history that well. If Bucky was a child sidekick was he forced to fight in Vietnam, he would have seemed to be old man near retirement Sergeant Barnes by then where as Korea, the Forgotten War would fit the really don't think about description. But Vietnam and don't want  to think about fits the original comics time frame for The Falcon where as Afghanistan where his wingman was lost and the MCU Falcon doesn't. Maybe a retcon and service in Iraq also though

It depends on which version of Marvel history you take into account. As I understand it, the original Captain America, as written by Joe Simon, survived the Second World War and went on to fight 'Dirty Commies' in the 1950s, presumably with Bucky as his sidekick. But the popularity of superheroes fell off a cliff in the 50s, which led to the cancellation of most books, including Captain America.

Stan Lee retconned the post-war stuff when he introduced the idea that Steve was lost trying to defuse the flying bomb that also killed Bucky, only to be rediscovered years later, by the Avengers. So Bucky died in 1944, or thereabouts.

But Ed Brubaker retconned that in 2005, and reintroduced Bucky as the Winter Soldier. In Brubaker's version, Bucky wasn't a kid sidekick, but a youthful special forces operative who did the dirty work that Captain America, hero and poster boy, couldn't be seen to do - wetwork and infiltration.

He still 'died' in 1944, trying to defuse the bomb that put Steve in the ice, but Bucky's near-dead body was recovered by the Soviets, who turned him into the Winter Soldier, and had him carry out assassinations throughout the Cold War.

The post-Simon/Kirby version of the character didn't fight for the US in any war but the Second World War, but he did carry out lots of missions for the Soviet Union.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Jeebus Cripes said:
7 hours ago, swanpride said:

I considered that to be the least mean of them all because of this very reason.

Yes, sometimes people do harm to people they love without intentionally or knowingly doing harm.  It's still harmful, maybe even especially when it's done out of love.  

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Dani said:

Thor had the best character arc of all the original avengers. 

I would definitely agree with that, and CH's acting was stellar.  It's also still extremely ableist to me. I don't think those two things are mutually exclusive.   

• Love 1

It's not harmful at all to express concern in that manner. It is annoying, but it is annoying out of a reflex in which the person on the receiving end doesn't want to admit that the statement is right.

Or, to put it differently, there is a difference between a parent saying "you need to diet because you are ugly" and a parent saying "you really need to eat more salat, it's good for your health".

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, swanpride said:

Or, to put it differently, there is a difference between a parent saying "you need to diet because you are ugly" and a parent saying "you really need to eat more salat, it's good for your health".

There's definitely a difference, but both can be extremely harmful in different ways.  But I suspect this is getting into 'agree to disagree' territory, so I will agree to disagree.  

• Love 4

It's not as if good mothers don't realistically have contradictions like that. My own mom will go from worrying about my weight to asking why I don't want seconds or thirds at dinner over the course of an evening, because apparently food has no calories if she prepares it.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

It's not as if good mothers don't realistically have contradictions like that. My own mom will go from worrying about my weight to asking why I don't want seconds or thirds at dinner over the course of an evening, because apparently food has no calories if she prepares it.

This is Very Mom.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Well most of my theaters have pulled this movie. I wanted to see it again with my dad. Maybe they’ll rerelease it before the Spidey movie in my area.

Its a good beat, especially since X-Men and MIB International didn't live up to expectations and will lose the screens penciled in for them. Endgame will probably be used for Spider-Man sort of like Captain Marvel held on until Endgame took all the screens

6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Well most of my theaters have pulled this movie. I wanted to see it again with my dad. Maybe they’ll rerelease it before the Spidey movie in my area.

51 minutes ago, PepSinger said:

Yeah, it’s gone from all the convenient theatres in my area. I wonder with the re-release if it’ll come back? I don’t see an option to preorder tickets, either.

I’m beginning to think Marvel has something specific planned in the next week for the re-release. Cinemark had a page up for it which included a new movie poster but all information has now been removed from the site. 

I didn't see this posted.

I am not going back for the extended version. It just seems like a greed move to me. Also, I've never seen Avatar. This is basically what I know about it.

So in Civil War at Peggy's funeral Sharon tells the story of how she used to say "Even if the whole world is telling you to move, it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in the eye, and say 'No, you move'." What if she got that line from Steve after he traveled to the past? Who only first heard it from Sharon at the funeral!

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

People are the worst. Apparently people are bullying the actress who played Morgan Stark. Her family put out a video online to get people to stop. How bad does your life have to be to get to the point where you bully a 7 year old?

I'll never get tired of saying it: The access that social media gives anyone to anyone else is thoroughly unhealthy. It causes a dehumanising, disassociation effect that allows otherwise decent people to behave like complete shitheads. And complete shitheads to behave even worse than usual.

• Love 16
5 hours ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

People are the worst. Apparently people are bullying the actress who played Morgan Stark. Her family put out a video online to get people to stop. How bad does your life have to be to get to the point where you bully a 7 year old?

#GeeksCantHaveAnythingNice

Also . . . Morgan possibly supplanting Riri Williams as Ironheart . . . fucking how?!? I didn't think of that while watching the movie . . . I was too busy wondering why the kid didn't have a name homaging Arno Stark, aka Iron Man 2020. But seriously, why pick on a child actress? Some people can't help being total assholes. Same people probably laugh at old people slipping on ice.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

I'll never get tired of saying it: The access that social media gives anyone to anyone else is thoroughly unhealthy. It causes a dehumanising, disassociation effect that allows otherwise decent people to behave like complete shitheads. And complete shitheads to behave even worse than usual.

QFT

• Love 2