Type keyword(s) to search

Avengers: Endgame (2019)

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, swanpride said:

Almost...this will be the slowest race of the year. Those 7 million are more than they look like and will take at least two additional weeks to get (more likely four or five).

It’s pulling in surprisingly good numbers so my guess is two weeks. Monday and Tuesday brought in down in 6 million and the international numbers from the weekend aren’t in yet. 

Thanos Nearly Decapitated 2014 Cap and Other Things We Learned From the Writers of Avengers: Endgame

While trying to figure how to bring back Thanos after killing him in the first act, there were versions where Thanos returned with the head of dead Captain America from around 2014 to intimidate the Avengers in 2023. Apparently this gets explained more in the commentary track on the upcoming Blu-ray.

Finally, it came down to two of the biggest question from the movie. Are there two Captain Americas on Earth at the end of the film? “Pass,” says McFeely jokingly. And Markus asked “I’m entertained by that theory.” As to the whereabouts of Gamora, they wouldn’t say, but think it’s plausible that she just left at the end to go be on her own and that that’s a story they’d love to see explored in the third Guardians movie.

(edited)
9 hours ago, Jeebus Cripes said:

That's fucking dark. Um, yeah. Thanks for sparing us that grisly shit and not fucking decapitating any version of Captain America, guys. 

giphy.gif

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!  I think they just wanted to remind us that it could have been oh so much worse.  But honestly, after the FFH end credit scene, I am absolutely convinced that Old!Steve was a Skrull now.  And after Chris Evans' question about 'what did Steve do after his dance with Peggy', I'm convinced that Chris chooses to believe Steve is still out there doing 'something' that Bucky knows about, but just can't help him with right now, but that Steve has every intention to come back and not as an old dude on a bench.  

I've also come to the conclusion that Captain America: The Winter Soldier was a beautiful and extraordinary movie, and also a complete fluke.  

Edited by Wynterwolf
  • Love 7
16 hours ago, MelloYellow said:

As to the whereabouts of Gamora, they wouldn’t say, but think it’s plausible that she just left at the end to go be on her own and that that’s a story they’d love to see explored in the third Guardians movie.

What I don't get is how far could Gamora have gotten? It is not like there are a whole bunch of vehicles available on earth that are capable of going to space. It would be hilarious if in Guardians 3 they found her hanging out in like Florida or something.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
45 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

What I don't get is how far could Gamora have gotten? It is not like there are a whole bunch of vehicles available on earth that are capable of going to space. It would be hilarious if in Guardians 3 they found her hanging out in like Florida or something.

Initially I figured she stole a ship from Thanos' army, but they all disintegrated at the end. And she obviously didn't get the Benetar, because the Guardians and Thor left on it.

I suppose Rocket must have replaced the space pod that he and Thor used, at some point in the last five years, and Gamora took that.

Well, there were also a bunch of fighters coming in from all over the Galaxy. For all we know she hitched a ride with Howard the Duck. OR slipped just out when the wizards opened the portals again to send everyone home again.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Wynterwolf said:

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!! 

Lol, right? Horrifying.

1 hour ago, Wynterwolf said:

And after Chris Evans' question about 'what did Steve do after his dance with Peggy', I'm convinced that Chris chooses to believe Steve is still out there doing 'something' that Bucky knows about, but just can't help him with right now, but that Steve has every intention to come back and not as an old dude on a bench.  

I haven't been keeping up lately with Marvel so I don't know where or when this from but what I have been seeing is that they really seem to be sidestepping the what the hell is up with that Cap ending question. If anyone hears anything  post it here for me pretty please? 

puss in boots GIF

I still do wonder if they really just thought that was an ending everyone would just accept or if they've got something up their sleeve.

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

I suppose Rocket must have replaced the space pod that he and Thor used, at some point in the last five years, and Gamora took that. 

I think that was what Nebula was in back in 2014 when she got captured by Thanos and her past self. Though why they needed a second vehicle when she and Rhodey clearly intended to return to 2023 in just their suits is a mystery to me.

17 minutes ago, festivus said:

I still do wonder if they really just thought that was an ending everyone would just accept or if they've got something up their sleeve.

Honestly, with how ineptly this has all been handled... even if they do eventually do something that 'fixes' it, I still think they just... didn't think beyond the surface idea of Steve and Peggy living 'happily ever after'.  The ramifications just didn't occur to them.  Chris has kinda implied that there's more to it (by his 'they don't leave any stone unturned comment'), but I still think they're just winging it.

• Love 7
28 minutes ago, festivus said:

If anyone hears anything  post it here for me pretty please?

Also, just fyi... my reference to Chris' question (they played a video of him asking the question) about Steve after the dance was from the SDCC panel yesterday.  And I think his comment about 'no stone unturned' was from the ACE comic con in Seattle, where he struggled mightily during the fan Q&A, but didn't really say much. 

• Love 1

Thanks. I find it hard to watch anything with Chris Evans because I think he has social anxiety. I can very much relate to that which translates to me not being able to watch it.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, festivus said:

Thanks. I find it hard to watch anything with Chris Evans because I think he has social anxiety. I can very much relate to that which translates to me not being able to watch it.

I have a hard time too!! In Seattle, he actually jumped off the stage to pet a dog, practically burying his face in it's fur, during the Q&A. 

• Love 2

Honestly, they really need to shut the fuck up. They're making it worse.

2023!Steve can find 1945!Steve in the ice and they can take turns? At what? Fucking Peggy?

1945!Peggy is not 2023!Steve's Peggy. Why would Peggy choose 2023!Steve if her Steve is right there? Peggy is not a fucking prize to be claimed by 2023!Steve. 1945!Peggy would tell 2023!Steve to get his ass back to where/when he belonged.

All they're proving is they didn't think that ending through, that they have no in depth understanding of Steve's character. They wanted a HEA without considering what their HEA would actually mean. They butchered Steve's character for the sake of heternormativity. And they honestly don’t care.  It makes me so mad that they did this to Steve. Steve's ending made no goddamn sense for his character. It obliterated his character growth and his arc as shown in the previous movies

And they didn't even give CEvans the courtesy of taking the question seriously.

Endgame is an utter and complete travesty imho.

• Love 11

Here is Chris with the dog:

And the is Chris basically struggling to find a way to answer the question he asked the Russos:

14 minutes ago, festivus said:

Gross.

If you think of Endgame as a movie about Thor (as I do to preserve my sanity) then it's just a lovely film. ; )

Oh, I wish I could... and Thor's character fared the best out of all of them, but I just can't get past how he was treated by his 'friends and family'.  🙁

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Wynterwolf said:

I have a hard time too!! In Seattle, he actually jumped off the stage to pet a dog, practically burying his face in it's fur, during the Q&A. 

To be fair, who wouldn't jump off the stage to cuddle with a dog? Answering the same crap over and over has got to be stale as hell. They should just let a bunch of puppies on stage with the actors to interact with while doing Q&A's. That would be tops. 

tumblr_pu25h00PqW1xy9vvgo2_500.gif

• Love 5
1 hour ago, anna0852 said:

Variety is reporting that Endgame has officially dethroned Avatar!

And I think it's awesome that Zoe Saldana can say she is in the two highest grossing films of all time.

I guess that now we know how to make the highest grossing movie of all time. 1) Cast Zoe Saldana. 2) Paint her entire body a color of the rainbow. 3) $$$$$

• LOL 7
  • Love 6

Well colour me surprised. I honestly didn't think End Game would dethrone Avatar. Especially since I thought the re-release really didn't have anything substantial to draw enough people back into the cinema. Well done Avengers!

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Terrafamilia said:

Inflation, people, inflation. Breaking the gross is inevitable as the years go by. If you are measuring popularity the number of tickets sold is a better metric.

I am not sure about that, just because there are so many variables. I mean of course Gone With the Wind sold more tickets, but what else was there to do in 1939?

• LOL 2

So I'm glad that Endgame unseated Avatar, because it recognises over a decade of planning and patience and careful structuring of an overarching cinematic universe. Feige's vision and decision-making, both creative and practical, deserve to be highlighted in as many ways as possible, even the ultimately meaningless overall gross.

Endgame was the culmination of that vision, and part of a strategy that could end up redefining cinematic entertainment as a whole (whether that's good or bad remains to be seen).

The excitement over Phase Four of the MCU indicates that Feige and Marvel are nowhere near to overplaying their hand. If they can manage to make box office successes out of The Eternals, Shang-Chi, and reboots of Blade and the Fantastic Four, then there's probably nothing they can't do.

• Love 11

Gone with the wind was in theatres for years against a way smaller field of rivals. Endgame did what it did in a few weeks and despite heavy competition. So no, I don't think that tickets sold is necessarily a better metric. I actually don't think that you can compare movies which were released that far apart at all. The "adjusted for inflation" metric is mostly interesting because it shows which movies used to be huge hits. But I wouldn't say that this makes the success of newer movies any less impressive.

And I don't think that MCU will end unless it starts churning out repetitive or outright bad movies. Which won't happen anytime soon.

• Love 1

There are too many variables involved with tickets sold and inflation. Movies used to be a lot cheaper then they are now, so more people could afford to go and like someone else said, there was not much else to do in 1939 compared to today.  Movies today are facing more competition and price increases so becoming the highest grossing is an accomplishment. 

I think it could be quite a while before someone breaks Endgame's gross. Since I didn't see another Avenger movie in the Phase 4 line up. 

On 7/20/2019 at 2:17 PM, scriggle said:

Honestly, they really need to shut the fuck up. They're making it worse.

2023!Steve can find 1945!Steve in the ice and they can take turns? At what? Fucking Peggy?

1945!Peggy is not 2023!Steve's Peggy. Why would Peggy choose 2023!Steve if her Steve is right there? Peggy is not a fucking prize to be claimed by 2023!Steve. 1945!Peggy would tell 2023!Steve to get his ass back to where/when he belonged.

All they're proving is they didn't think that ending through, that they have no in depth understanding of Steve's character. They wanted a HEA without considering what their HEA would actually mean. They butchered Steve's character for the sake of heternormativity. And they honestly don’t care.  It makes me so mad that they did this to Steve. Steve's ending made no goddamn sense for his character. It obliterated his character growth and his arc as shown in the previous movies

And they didn't even give CEvans the courtesy of taking the question seriously.

Endgame is an utter and complete travesty imho.

Right? I was like None Of This Is Helping STFU!!!! 
The bolded is really the crux of what's wrong with Steve's ending. I'm never really going to be over it. I have to console myself with my headcanon and stop reading anything the Russos/M&M say. Poor Chris, he was trying to help.

• Love 4
(edited)

Quite a deleted scene:

I think if this had been in the movie I would have bawled my eyes out watching it. Seeing it now months later, it just seems a bit much, and I like Tony. I thought the lake funeral is definitely more fitting. At least we have confirmation on Gamora.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 7

Damnit...they should have went with this one. Granted, no chance to add Harley or Fury or Ross there, but on the other hand, it would have made the lack of a funeral scene for Natasha less frustrating.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

think if this had been in the movie I would have bawled my eyes out watching it. Seeing it now months later, it just seems a bit much, and I like Tony. I thought the lake funeral is definitely more fitting. At least we have confirmation on Gamora.

I agree on the second part but, I wonder if this would have worked in the moment or seem too much?  Probably would have worked and, I'd have been a mess.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, VCRTracking said:

Quite a deleted scene:

I think if this had been in the movie I would have bawled my eyes out watching it. Seeing it now months later, it just seems a bit much, and I like Tony. I thought the lake funeral is definitely more fitting. At least we have confirmation on Gamora.

I agree with your comments, and Tony my favorite character.

I'm really happy that Marvel now has the all time highest grossing movie with Endgame.  I really wish it would have unseated Star Wars:  The Force Awakens for domestic also, but oh well I guess you can't have everything.

Not sure when Avatar II is coming out, but I wouldn't put it past James Cameron to give Avatar a re-release beforehand, to spur interest for the sequel, and to goose it past Endgame.  Doesn't matter though.  Records are made to be broken, and I'm just glad that Marvel was able to hold the top at some point at least. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Not sure when Avatar II is coming out, but I wouldn't put it past James Cameron to give Avatar a re-release beforehand, to spur interest for the sequel, and to goose it past Endgame.  Doesn't matter though.  Records are made to be broken, and I'm just glad that Marvel was able to hold the top at some point at least. 

Avatar 2 is going to be released in December 2021 (assuming it’s not delayed again). If Avatar is going to be re-released it will be Disney’s decision since they got the distribution rights in the Fox merger. 

Still well up thinking about Tony’s death so this made me cry.  Not surprising.  The music is perfect.

Would it have replaced the funeral or been in addition to?  Both were lovely.

(edited)
1 hour ago, Dani said:

Avatar 2 is going to be released in December 2021 (assuming it’s not delayed again). If Avatar is going to be re-released it will be Disney’s decision since they got the distribution rights in the Fox merger. 

So Disney now owns the world huh? LOL Top 3 grossing Movies of all time are now Disney? I can see it now, re-release Avatar in November 2021 and then re-release Endgame in January 2022 then Avatar, then Endgame, Avatar, Endgame.....LOL

Edited by Morrigan2575