Type keyword(s) to search

Avengers: Endgame (2019)

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

On 5/10/2019 at 4:36 AM, Dani said:

I also thought it was interesting that Wanda was with Bucky and Sam. 

She should be really close to Sam now, since they were on the run together with Natasha and Steve after Civil War. And she wouldn't want to be too much in the front where Steve was or with Clint's family. Last time they saw each other, Wanda was in prison and Tony was part of the reason, so I'm sure she had conflicted feelings about Tony.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, dkb said:

She should be really close to Sam now, since they were on the run together with Natasha and Steve after Civil War. And she wouldn't want to be too much in the front where Steve was or with Clint's family. Last time they saw each other, Wanda was in prison and Tony was part of the reason, so I'm sure she had conflicted feelings about Tony.

It makes sense character wise but I was also wondering if Wanda, Bucky and Sam are being setup as the new Steve, Natasha and Sam. Just they way they were standing together felt reminiscent of Winter Soldier in particular. 

1 hour ago, Dani said:

It makes sense character wise but I was also wondering if Wanda, Bucky and Sam are being setup as the new Steve, Natasha and Sam. Just they way they were standing together felt reminiscent of Winter Soldier in particular. 

I really wonder if we'll see Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan in the movies going forward. It's been reported Seb was signed to a 9 picture deal and I assume Mackie has a similar deal. They've been in 5 and 6 films respectively. They're both in demand actors for movies. So I wonder if there was some sort of renegotiation, sort of trading the movie contract for them doing the tv show.

• Love 1
(edited)

So another thing I have been wondering about is the timing of Endgame and thr midcredits scene in Captain Marvel. So did Carol show up at the Avengers base say "where' Fury" at which point she went out to look for Tony on the Avenger's request.  Or did the mid credit scene in CM not actually happen, like the Thanos "I'll do it myself scene" at the end of Age of Ultron. Meaning that Carol just randomly ran into the Benetar flying through space.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
9 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

So another thing I have been wondering about is the timing of Endgame and thr midcredits scene in Captain Marvel. So did Carol show up at the Avengers base say "where' Fury" at which point she went out to look for Tony on the Avenger's request.  Or did the mid credit scene in CM not actually happen, like the Thanos "I'll do it myself scene" at the end of Age of Ultron. Meaning that Carol just randomly ran into the Benetar flying through space.

The former, I'd say, although I don't know that she was specifically looking for Tony.

She turns up, asks where Fury is, and they fill her in on all that's happened. At some point, they get onto the subject of their friends and allies, and Rocket probably has a way of locating the Benetar (obviously not knowing that everyone got dusted). So without any other options, they send Carol to find the ship, and she finds Tony and Nebula.

• Love 7
(edited)
5 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

After watching Endgame, one of my first thoughts was "guess that scene didn't happen", but then I realized that it almost definitely did and they just wanted to shave time off the run-time so decided not to repeat it in Endgame.

I will say the downside of that approach is that to some degree Carol's later scene with Thor really is played like a first meeting, and makes slightly less sense as a later one.  True, she's not in her costume, but before seeing how this played out I would have assumed it was at the very least very close on the heels of that scene where she just appears. That's not what they did, but it made me wonder if it was originally written that way or not.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

Thor isn’t in the Captain Marvel post-credits scene, though. If Natasha and Steve sent Carol out looking for Tony like 2 minutes after she arrived, it’s conceivable she didn’t meet Thor then, so the axe summoning scene was indeed their first meeting (which I agree it plays as).

I echo the general sentiment that the Captain Marvel post-credits scene happened, and just takes place before Endgame starts (the first time we see Steve in Endgame is shaving the beard). I suspect they didn’t play it at the movie’s start also because they wanted Carol saving Tony and Nebula to be a surprise. Had the movie opened with that scene and then cut to the ship, it would’ve been pretty obvious how Tony was getting home. The way it was done here was more dramatic.

• Love 7

I’m sorry. I just can’t ever accept the time loop theory, that Steve was always Peggy’s husband.  Forever in denial, whatever the screenwriters say.  That is just not a Steve Rogers that I could ever like or respect. 😢

• Love 19
25 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I’m sorry. I just can’t ever accept the time loop theory, that Steve was always Peggy’s husband.  Forever in denial, whatever the screenwriters say.  That is just not a Steve Rogers that I could ever like or respect. 😢

They really should stop explaining and quit while they're ahead. They just keep digging the hole deeper.

I call bullshit on that ending is what they always intended. It's contradicted by too much in the previous Cap movies.

On a separate note, I spent a a lot time last night trying to make sense of how time travel works in AE. I just can't. You create a new timeline/alternate universe by a) moving infinity stones around or b) going back into the past. If that's the case, how could they ever return the stones? All that does is create new timeline. ARGhhh. I hate time travel stories especially when TPTB don't have a coherent agreed upon theory on how it works.

Good thinkpiece article on Endgame and the consequences of the Unsnappening: Avengers: Endgame’s Ending Has Some Disturbing Implications

• Love 10
44 minutes ago, scriggle said:

On a separate note, I spent a a lot time last night trying to make sense of how time travel works in AE. I just can't. You create a new timeline/alternate universe by a) moving infinity stones around or b) going back into the past. If that's the case, how could they ever return the stones? All that does is create new timeline. ARGhhh. I hate time travel stories especially when TPTB don't have a coherent agreed upon theory on how it works.

Yep, me too. The most frustrating thing is that time travel mostly worked if they would have let go of the need to send Steve back to Peggy. Steve returning the stones make no sense. Even if going back didn’t already create a new universe four of the stones were no longer in their containers and how on earth could Steve return the stones to the exact moment they were taken removed. Steve returned the stones because they need him to be traveling through time so that the ending would be shocking. 

That’s where I think the movies fails the most. Too many things happened simply to bring about a desired outcome and that’s just bad storytelling. 

51 minutes ago, Wynterwolf said:

Yep.  The calculated intention of this movie in a nutshell.  And in general, they weren't wrong.  

I only think they're wrong because of the nature of these movies. If this was the end of the MCU I wouldn’t be as bothered by any of this. I still love Endgame but the problems with the story has definitely dampened my enthusiasm for Marvel going forward. 

1 hour ago, scriggle said:

They really should stop explaining and quit while they're ahead. They just keep digging the hole deeper.

I call bullshit on that ending is what they always intended. It's contradicted by too much in the previous Cap movies.

The directors and the writers can't even agree on what Cap's ending meant. That's a fucking problem. M&M say, 'Yeah! Totes planned from the start! Steve was Peggy's husband ALL ALONG! True Love or whatever! Even though it means that Sharon KNOWINGLY made out with her great uncle. SURE! THAT'S TOTALLY OKAY AND ACCEPTABLE!' while the Russos say 'Yeah, he absolutely created an alternate timeline. That's what we're sticking with and he used his leftover Pym particles to show up over on that bench.'

They all need to stop. Stop trying to justify and explain and let it be. The fans will take whatever they want from it and they're just going to have to deal.

• Love 15
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Dani said:

I only think they're wrong because of the nature of these movies.

The vast majority of viewers aren't bothered by any of this, though.  

2 minutes ago, Dandesun said:

The fans will take whatever they want from it and they're just going to have to deal.

Yep.

Edited by Wynterwolf
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Dandesun said:

They all need to stop. Stop trying to justify and explain and let it be. The fans will take whatever they want from it and they're just going to have to deal.

Well, at least Game of Thrones came along and replaced the bitter taste in my mouth with something even worse. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 7
8 minutes ago, Wynterwolf said:

The vast majority of viewers aren't bothered by any of this, though.  

True and the reality is that people bothered by it are still going to watch the next phase. 

From that perspective their biggest mistake was probably killing Black Widow before her movie. That movie now needs to be amazing if it’s going to overcome the general apathy towards prequels about already dead characters. 

The Directors of Avengers: Endgame on Its Biggest Twists

I did a segment on The Gist that was a fake newscast that occurred three days after the events of this movie. And so some of the things that happened are: The housing glut went to a huge housing shortage. The air level in India for the first time in five years went to a dangerous level. I started thinking about airplanes—a quarter of all planes were probably falling out of the sky, if both captains died. But then half the people on the planes would come back, and half who didn’t get dustified, would be dead now. Anyway, there were a lot of considerations. I’ll ask you a few questions.

Anthony Russo: We love that, by the way. Yeah, we spent time thinking about those things.

The one that I saw you definitely address in the movie, because you had to, and it was an interesting way to go, is the environmental aspect. So whales, just looking at bees and insects … and that was also something Thanos explicitly cited: saving humanity by killing half of all life. But were there any other aspects you wanted to take a crack at? About what would really happen if we undid this whole thing after five years?

Anthony Russo: One thing that we talked about a lot—and I thought was really profound, but it was almost too large of an idea for us to wrangle, but we did try for a while—is just the idea that one-quarter of all children have no parents. Assuming you started with two parents. So that’s a lot of global orphans. Just the staggering number of that. I believe at one point really early in development, Black Widow was actually leading the organization in D.C. that was in charge of orphans, basically. That was what she was heading up five years later. But yes, it’s fascinating when you start running it down.

21 minutes ago, Jeebus Cripes said:

Well, at least Game of Thrones came along and replaced the bitter taste in my mouth with something even worse. 

Ain't that the truth. First for me The Magicians then Endgame and now GoT. Too much to shit to shovel at one time. 😅

That article is right. Way too much of a clusterfuck and it will not be dealt with in any realistic way. Why couldn't they have just went back to before the snap, fixed it then, had Pepper be pregnant if they wanted to keep Morgan. Now we're 5 years in the future, which I hate, and we have a multiverse which they must have wanted, which I also hate. Despite my love for Doctor Who, I hate the kind of time travel stories that Endgame ended up to be because frankly I'm a dumbass and I can't understand them. I mean I did quit watching The Flash for a reason. The time travel crap on that show incensed me. I rage quit. 

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, festivus said:

Ain't that the truth. First for me The Magicians then Endgame and now GoT. Too much to shit to shovel at one time. 😅

That article is right. Way too much of a clusterfuck and it will not be dealt with in any realistic way. Why couldn't they have just went back to before the snap, fixed it then, had Pepper be pregnant if they wanted to keep Morgan. Now we're 5 years in the future, which I hate, and we have a multiverse which they must have wanted, which I also hate. Despite my love for Doctor Who, I hate the kind of time travel stories that Endgame ended up to be because frankly I'm a dumbass and I can't understand them. I mean I did quit watching The Flash for a reason. The time travel crap on that show incensed me. I rage quit. 

The Magicians, too?! I'm behind on that, and now I have more disappointment to look forward to. 2019, what a fantastic year for fandom! Ugh.

I'm actually a fan of the multiverse, but you are absolutely right about them undoing the snap before instead of after. The 5 years thing is madness on every level. 

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, festivus said:

That article is right. Way too much of a clusterfuck and it will not be dealt with in any realistic way. Why couldn't they have just went back to before the snap, fixed it then, had Pepper be pregnant if they wanted to keep Morgan.

I actually think keeping the time jump may be more about Cassie than Morgan.  Feige has already said that they have been “planting seeds” for Young Avengers and the time jump seems like one more move in that direction. 

39 minutes ago, festivus said:

I hate the kind of time travel stories that Endgame ended up to be because frankly I'm a dumbass and I can't understand them.

Should I admit how hard this made me laugh?  I feel the same way.  Ha!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Jeebus Cripes said:

42 minutes ago, festivus said:

It feels like there is a rash of endings lately that are just... what?

Although it's been going on a long time (St. Elsewhere anyone?) Still, for me, the How I Met Your Mother ending remains completely and utterly unsalvageable and... ugh. As much as I don't like Cap's ending for Endgame in particular there are myriad ways to get around it. As well as re imagining things with the OBVIOUS TIME SPLIT that he created (not to mention what Loki is up to with the Space Stone and all the hijinks ensuing there.) These are comic movies and multiple universes and retcons are so the norm it's easy enough to change whatever the fuck you want in your head. Magic!

GoT... hoo boy. Yeah, at this point I'm just expecting the end to be a smoking wasteland and just... whatever. Last night was an unbelievable disappointment (though probably not for the reasons most might think.)

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Dandesun said:

These are comic movies and multiple universes and retcons are so the norm it's easy enough to change whatever the fuck you want in your head. Magic

I think that might be another part of the my issue here, though... a movie isn't a comic book. Or even like a television series.  The individual character beats and plot points carry far more weight in a movie environment as far as their impact on a larger audience.  So if they fail or don't make sense, there are greater consequences, both in-universe, and in real life, and there're not as easy to 'fix' or even just overlook.  

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, Dani said:

I actually think keeping the time jump may be more about Cassie than Morgan.  Feige has already said that they have been “planting seeds” for Young Avengers and the time jump seems like one more move in that direction. 

That's even worse! I'm maddest about the time jump because of losing original Cassie.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, festivus said:

First for me The Magicians then Endgame and now GoT. Too much to shit to shovel at one time.

I'm seeing some fallout from fans that identify with Dany's character through dealing with mental health issues, similar to how fans identify with Bucky through PTSD, and Quentin's death in The Magicians... writers need to get their shit together and learn about mental health issues, and how to portray them more responsibly.  

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Dani said:

True and the reality is that people bothered by it are still going to watch the next phase. 

From that perspective their biggest mistake was probably killing Black Widow before her movie. That movie now needs to be amazing if it’s going to overcome the general apathy towards prequels about already dead characters. 

Well this is one fan who won't be rushing out to see the next phase films when they hit the theaters. There's nothing of the upcoming movies that I'm really excited for. Sure, I'll probably end up watching them but I'll wait until they're on dvd and I can get them from the library.

Edited by scriggle
  • Love 1

Well, I am interested in further Captain Marvel and Black Panther movies as well as finding out what they do with Falcon and Bucky... even though they're getting their own show, what does that mean for their movie contracts?

And I desperately want the third Guardians movie to be called Guardians of the Galaxy 3: The Search for Gamora -- could they do that? Could they spoof the title of Star Trek 3 so blatantly? (Pleasesaytheycanpleasesaytheycan.)

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, Dandesun said:

Well, I am interested in further Captain Marvel and Black Panther movies 

I am interested in seeing those as well. The Shang-chi movie could either be awesome or really bad. I think though I am curious if they will try to relaunch a new version of the Avengers. I mean this is still a comic book universe so will they keep having the big everyone gets together style crossover?

• Love 2
19 hours ago, festivus said:

Fellow dumbass here. I can't really handle time travel storylines unless they are sticking to Back To The Future/Terminator-style time travel. 
Here's something I don't understand. When Scott was stuck in the quantum realm, for him it was only 5 minutes, but the outside world was 5 years. How did Steve live (60-ish?) years, and then show up on the bench, but it was only a few minutes for everyone else?

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, ChromaKelly said:

Fellow dumbass here. I can't really handle time travel storylines unless they are sticking to Back To The Future/Terminator-style time travel. 
Here's something I don't understand. When Scott was stuck in the quantum realm, for him it was only 5 minutes, but the outside world was 5 years. How did Steve live (60-ish?) years, and then show up on the bench, but it was only a few minutes for everyone else?

This movie does not hold up when you start to think about things for too long and I don't think that the writers even wanted it to.  The answer to your questions is like all the logistical  questions about the snap and the sudden undoing of the snap 5 years later--

image.png.b16b0017d8b5a094aa9bef4fc4bf13df.png

• Love 4

You know what I really want? A superhero movie that asks me to really think about the logistics and pragmatic choices to be made by the millions of people in that universe that we never see or need to care about. I just can't watch without wondering whether some guy got back with his old girlfriend, after she spent five years as dust.

In reality, I don't fucking care. People figure shit out or they don't. If they're not characters in the movie, it doesn't matter. If I want to watch a sober, introspective study of mass loss and the effect it has on survivors, then I'll watch The Leftovers. If I want to watch a really cool superhero movie, then I'll watch Avengers: Endgame.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, ChromaKelly said:

How did Steve live (60-ish?) years, and then show up on the bench, but it was only a few minutes for everyone else?

Heh.  Weeeell.... in all seriousness, I believe they had originally intended to make that a timeloop, so they were trying to imply that Steve had gone back in time and stayed there, living his life in real time from 1948 (when we say Steve and Peggy dancing)  to 2023 and OldSteve knew to go to that bench at that time, because his younger self had been there.  But there were myriad issues with that scenario (that they apparently didn't think of before they decided to use that storyline??? yeah, IDK). 

But also apparently that intention was changed at some point by the Russos to be that OldSteve came from a different timeline that he created when YoungSteve went back to 1948 and stayed with Peggy.  Which there are also myriad issues with, but different ones (and they present it as a 'mystery' for how OldSteve got on the bench... aka, poor writing/storytelling).  So, really it's viewers choice... you can go with either of those options (M&M are supporting the timeloop, Russos are supporting the New Timeline), or you can figure out something else if you have another idea... all ideas are valid.  

And with Scott, he was basically stuck in limbo in the Quantum realm (where time apparently didn't pass for him?) when the mouse/rat hit the button on the gizmo in the van that brought him back.  So, another completely different situation to any of the possibilities that Steve did.  

Edited by Wynterwolf
  • Love 1
44 minutes ago, Wynterwolf said:

And with Scott, he was basically stuck in limbo in the Quantum realm (where time apparently didn't pass for him?) when the mouse/rat hit the button on the gizmo in the van that brought him back.  So, another completely different situation to any of the possibilities that Steve did.  

Which then makes me wonder if Scott said that 5 years in the real world was like 5 hours for him, how come when they rescued Janet Van Dyne she didn't look like 80's Michelle Pfeiffer?

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Which then makes me wonder if Scott said that 5 years in the real world was like 5 hours for him, how come when they rescued Janet Van Dyne she didn't look like 80's Michelle Pfeiffer?

Probably because the Quantum Realm has different pockets where time shifts differently and she'd also been there way longer than 5 years.

Or, just... REASONS!!

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

Probably because the Quantum Realm has different pockets where time shifts differently and she'd also been there way longer than 5 years.

Or, just... REASONS!!

Yea the reasons are surely that it is made up sci fi bullshit. She was probably in one of the bad neighborhoods of the Quantum Realm. But she was only gone for 30 years so if she was in Scott's area she should only have been 30 hours older.

• Love 2

Yeah, they were pretty wishy washy about the time stuff in AntMan & the Wasp too.  Basically it does whatever they want it to at the time they want it to do it.  

5 minutes ago, Dandesun said:

Or, just... REASONS!!

Any-Man and the Wasp actually set that up as an explanation. Janet’s lasts word to Scott are “Don't get sucked into a time vortex. We won't be able to save you.”

I was mildly disappointed they went with no explanation when time vortexes sound interesting. 

(edited)

From Scott's explanation (if you could call it that) to the Avengers, I got the impression that the relative flow of time between the quantum realm and normal reality was unpredictable and inconsistent. Hence the need for Tony to invent some way of navigating it rather than just getting random results.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 4
(edited)

For me a lot of the worldbuilding in the Marvel movies have been lacking (Black Panther and the Captain America movies have been the best at that, the Thor franchise, tragically, the absolute worst), characters' skill level and personality have been inconsistent throughtout, terrible villains (except for Loki), etc. Overall they are the best comic book adaptations, imo, but I've always thought most aren't actually good movies. So Endgame was exactly as lackluster as I expected. Quite a bit doesn't make sense, which characters played a role in defeating Thanos and which didn't didn't make a huge amount of sense to me, the dialogue was terrible, and the Avengers never really felt like the found family they were supposed to (as hard as they tried to sell that with Black Widow). Like, my favorite part was the new braided beardstyle Thor was rocking, is where I'm at.

Really underwhelming. I think starting the Avengers movies before doing all the character movies/franchises was a mistake.

Edited by slf
  • Love 1

The Film Theory youtube channel did a video about the odds of a rat freeing Ant-Man from the quantum realm, and found it surprisingly plausible.

On 5/13/2019 at 8:03 PM, Dandesun said:

And I desperately want the third Guardians movie to be called Guardians of the Galaxy 3: The Search for Gamora -- could they do that? Could they spoof the title of Star Trek 3 so blatantly? (Pleasesaytheycanpleasesaytheycan.)

I like it!  Disney bought the use of Spidey.  Surely they have the cash for that.  And in a spoof context, maybe they don't need to pay?  I suspect it will be Awesome Mix Vol 3, but I'm okay with either.

• Love 1

Another thing I love about the movie is the score. I just found the Vevo playlist on YouTube, it is brilliant. I usually don't notice the background music but it works really well in this movie.

The one titled, "Whatever it Takes," is ❤️❤️. As soon as I hear it it takes me back to the theater seeing Steve watching Peggy through the glass 😭 and Tony talking to his dad.

• Love 4
(edited)
12 hours ago, dkb said:

Another thing I love about the movie is the score. I just found the Vevo playlist on YouTube, it is brilliant. I usually don't notice the background music but it works really well in this movie.

I have a son who is on the spectrum, and he always hears the score while he watches a movie; he can hear a snippet and say, “They play this while x and y walk down the hall.”  One of the first things he did after seeing the movie was find the soundtrack, and we’ve been listening to it ever since.  Just gorgeous!

Edited by Crs97
  • Love 7
13 hours ago, dkb said:

The one titled, "Whatever it Takes," is ❤️❤️. As soon as I hear it it takes me back to the theater seeing Steve watching Peggy through the glass 😭 and Tony talking to his dad.

Listening to "Portals" and "The Real Hero" make me emotional. Endgame is now up there with Back To the Future as one of the best Alan Silvestri soundtracks IMO.

• Love 6

Ugh, someone brought up the writers dumb-assed comment about how they always intended Steve to be Peg's husband all along in my presence, and now I'm in rage-mode all over again. So, it was their intention all along to have Steve Rogers idly sit by and do nothing while Bucky was being tortured, brainwashed, and turned into a killer? Seriously? Steve's that guy now? Fuck that noise! That would be character assassination on an epic scale (Game of Thrones level). The studio needs to put them in check for this retconned fuckery. They already admitted they didn't even know time travel was part of Endgame going in:

"We all sat there going, really? We're going to do time travel?" Markus said. "It was only when we were looking at who we had available, character-wise; we hadn't used Ant-Man yet. And there really is, in people's theory of the Quantum Realm, a time thing in the MCU, right now, available to us, with a character we haven't used yet. We have a loophole that's not cheating."

How could Steve be the husband all along without time travel in the first place? How was this always your intention??? They're making an ass out of themselves trying to be clever with this ending, and they're ruining Steve Rogers in the process. Just admit you were wrong and don't understand that you created an alternate timeline. For fucks sake!

giphy.gif

• Love 12