Type keyword(s) to search

Avengers: Endgame (2019)

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

On 5/2/2019 at 11:21 AM, festivus said:

Me too. It genuinely hurts me to wonder if she was thinking that her life didn't matter as much as Clint's because he has a significant other and children. I definitely don't think he thought that.

So far the only positive thing for me from this movie besides Rocket getting his family back is Thor. I love that after his heartbreak, his losses and the depression that came from it that at the end he was looking to make a new way for himself. It's a good message for me.

I'll probably go see this again next week and I'll see if I feel any differently about it since I now know what happens. Maybe there will be moments I can enjoy more this time.

I enjoyed this post. 

On 5/2/2019 at 1:16 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

The optics of the female character who cannot have biological children sacrificing herself for her male counterpart who has a family are really bad.  That scene needed more dialog and less action to get whatever point the writers were going for across.  We shouldn't be conjecturing why Natasha felt it had to be her, the script should have made this point known.  As it stands, I saw that scene as the barren woman choosing to die so that her male friend could get back together with his family.  Like her life was always going to pale in comparison to anyone who could have a "normal" biological family.  

So much this. Natasha never got her happy ending with Bruce, I would’ve liked to see them “work through it” with Bruce making peace with the hulk. 

• Love 4

I want to see Old Man Steve mentoring a team of young Avengers. I can see him commanding them from the new Avengers compound, radioing them to stop fucking around. I love the idea of him as grizzled old man and I think Evans would relish playing the part. 

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, JessePinkman said:

I want to see Old Man Steve mentoring a team of young Avengers. I can see him commanding them from the new Avengers compound, radioing them to stop fucking around. I love the idea of him as grizzled old man and I think Evans would relish playing the part. 

"And while you're at it, get off my yard, you little punks!"

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, BigBeagle said:

"And while you're at it, get off my yard, you little punks!"

I'm actually imagining old Steve exactly like that! "Listen here you little shit, I said ON YOUR LEFT!"

One of the few blessings of getting old, not giving a fuck anymore.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 5/2/2019 at 11:16 AM, Ohiopirate02 said:

The optics of the female character who cannot have biological children sacrificing herself for her male counterpart who has a family are really bad.  That scene needed more dialog and less action to get whatever point the writers were going for across.  We shouldn't be conjecturing why Natasha felt it had to be her, the script should have made this point known.  As it stands, I saw that scene as the barren woman choosing to die so that her male friend could get back together with his family.  Like her life was always going to pale in comparison to anyone who could have a "normal" biological family.  

If it was still Joss Whedon who wrote it I can see that argument, but the Russos and Markus and McFeely didn't write her in Age of Ultron. They wrote the Natasha who joined SHIELD to later be dissillusioned that she was still working for the bad guys. Who willingly let all her secrets be revealed to the world and testify to Congress to expose HYDRA. They showed Natasha five years later depressed and a failure. There were billions of lives that she and the Avengers could have saved. She had the chance to bring them all back, not just Clint's family but everyone. Clint would have done it for his family, but Natasha did it for everyone including her family, the Avengers.

All the Avengers were willing to make the sacrifice to undo the Snap. Clint volunteered for the test run, Bruce and Thor wanted to use the Infinity Gauntlet even though it might kill them. Tony thought there was a good chance he'd never come back from the Time Heist and recorded that and later made the ultimate sacrifice.

Plenty of thinkpieces out there on why killing Natasha was a bad decision but I agree with this argument it was an Black Widow's act of heroism.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I enjoyed this post. 

So much this. Natasha never got her happy ending with Bruce, I would’ve liked to see them “work through it” with Bruce making peace with the hulk. 

OMG. Just had the image of Smart Hulk with a baby bjorn strapped to his chest. (Adopted, of course, since Natasha not being able to have kids is <rolleyes> canon in the MCU)

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Jeebus Cripes said:

I don't think they yelled at [Thor], it was more of a shocked "what did you do?" reaction. 

Perhaps.  Like I said, I've only seen it once, but I distinctly remember getting a 'now you've really doomed us all' vibe from the rest of them.  And I think Rhodey specifically said something along the lines of "now we'll never have a chance to find the Stones" or "now we'll never know if he was telling the truth" or something like that.  Something accusatory, you know?

(edited)
12 minutes ago, Taryn74 said:

Perhaps.  Like I said, I've only seen it once, but I distinctly remember getting a 'now you've really doomed us all' vibe from the rest of them.  And I think Rhodey specifically said something along the lines of "now we'll never have a chance to find the Stones" or "now we'll never know if he was telling the truth" or something like that.  Something accusatory, you know?

I saw it again last Friday and Rhodey didn't say anything. Thanos told them he already destroyed the Stones by that point so the feeling from all of them was failure and that all hope was lost.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

OMG. Just had the image of Smart Hulk with a baby bjorn strapped to his chest. (Adopted, of course, since Natasha not being able to have kids is <rolleyes> canon in the MCU)

I saw them as being childfree and having hot sex (not that parents cannot have hot sex) after sessions of saving the world but that works too. 🤗

• Love 2

Thank god that, of the many things Whedon 'gifted' the franchise with, that heat-free 'romance' between Natasha and Bruce was chucked out of the window.

Tessa Thompson had better chemistry with CGI Hulk than Scarlett Johansson and Mark Ruffalo do.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, Danny Franks said:

Thank god that, of the many things Whedon 'gifted' the franchise with, that heat-free 'romance' between Natasha and Bruce was chucked out of the window.

Tessa Thompson had better chemistry with CGI Hulk than Scarlett Johansson and Mark Ruffalo do.

Tessa Thompson has chemistry with almost everyone. Anyone else excited to see her and Chris Hemsworth in MIB: International?!!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Fukui San said:

Multiverse. It's a thing now.

46 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I saw them as being childfree and having hot sex (not that parents cannot have hot sex) after sessions of saving the world but that works too. 🤗

More multiverse.

30 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

Even more multiverse! You get a mulitverse, you get a multiverse, EVERYONE GETS A MULTIVERSE!!

As an X-Men reader since the 90s (and an avid collector of back issues to see what came before) it was always funny to me that every alternate universe we were ever introduced to was an absolute fucking nightmare. No one ever came back from the future to tell anyone 'Hey,  you guys are on the right track! The work you're doing pays off big time!'

I mean, hell, wasn't that what 'Bill & Ted's Excellent Journey' was about? "Guys, you are the secret to our magnificent utopia of being excellent to each other and playing air guitar with awesome shades. I'm here to make sure that awesome future happens!"

Anyway, given that the directors and the writers can't even seem to agree with what has splintered where or if it even did but we've got Jake Gyllenhal as Mysterio from another timeline AND the entiretly of Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse... alternate timelines exist and I'm okay with that.

Although I may not ever get tired of a possible new dimension opening up and thinking 'Dammit Steve...' each time. (To be fair, a certain amount of those new dimensions and timelines are totally going to be Loki's fault.)

• Love 6
1 hour ago, VCRTracking said:

If it was still Joss Whedon who wrote it I can see that argument, but the Russos and Markus and McFeely didn't write her in Age of Ultron. They wrote the Natasha who joined SHIELD to later be dissillusioned that she was still working for the bad guys. Who willingly let all her secrets be revealed to the world and testify to Congress to expose HYDRA. They showed Natasha five years later depressed and a failure. There were billions of lives that she and the Avengers could have saved. She had the chance to bring them all back, not just Clint's family but everyone. Clint would have done it for his family, but Natasha did it for everyone including her family, the Avengers.

All the Avengers were willing to make the sacrifice to undo the Snap. Clint volunteered for the test run, Bruce and Thor wanted to use the Infinity Gauntlet even though it might kill them. Tony thought there was a good chance he'd never come back from the Time Heist and recorded that and later made the ultimate sacrifice.

Plenty of thinkpieces out there on why killing Natasha was a bad decision but I agree with this argument it was an Black Widow's act of heroism.

I do not agree with a few points in that article.  I never saw Natasha as betraying Tony in Civil War, she was trying to keep her family together.  She saw both sides and wanted to keep them from destroying each other because she loved and respected both of them.  I am fine with the idea that Natasha sacrificed her life since I saw her character development in the films.

I really do believe that the scene in Endgame needed more dialog and less action from both Clint and Natasha.  Clint went to a very dark place and that needed to be addressed.  I would rather have seen both of them on the edge getting ready to jump explaining to the other one why they should be the one to jump.  I needed confirmation that Clint was still worthy of being the one to survive.

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, Dandesun said:

Even more multiverse! You get a mulitverse, you get a multiverse, EVERYONE GETS A MULTIVERSE!!

As an X-Men reader since the 90s (and an avid collector of back issues to see what came before) it was always funny to me that every alternate universe we were ever introduced to was an absolute fucking nightmare. No one ever came back from the future to tell anyone 'Hey,  you guys are on the right track! The work you're doing pays off big time!'

Yes, and I am here for it! I used to get so excited reading about alternate timelines. It's all good fun, even if most of them are dystopian nightmares. LOL. Exploring the different roads characters have taken, sometimes good guys are bad & vice versa, weird relationships you've never thought of, it's fun.

32 minutes ago, Jeebus Cripes said:

Yes, and I am here for it! I used to get so excited reading about alternate timelines. It's all good fun, even if most of them are dystopian nightmares. LOL. Exploring the different roads characters have taken, sometimes good guys are bad & vice versa, weird relationships you've never thought of, it's fun.

Just wait til we get MCU's "The Exiles" in phase, I dunno, six or so.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I saw it again last Friday and Rhodey didn't say anything. Thanos told them he already destroyed the Stones by that point so the feeling from all of them was failure and that all hope was lost.

Okay, I was just remembering wrong then I guess LOL.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

But I don’t think “Natasha sacrificing herself was an act of heroism” is at all incompatible with “that was a bad writing decision.” Those two things can co-exist. I think it was a heroic act on Natasha’s part; I also think it was a shit-ass writing decision by the screenwriters.

• Love 10
15 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

But I don’t think “Natasha sacrificing herself was an act of heroism” is at all incompatible with “that was a bad writing decision.” Those two things can co-exist. I think it was a heroic act on Natasha’s part; I also think it was a shit-ass writing decision by the screenwriters.

The alternative was Natasha lives and comes back, the other Avengers feel bad but don't even spend two seconds mourning him because frankly they weren't that close. Then after the battle Natasha has to tell Clint's wife and kids what happened to him and Natasha feels even worse than she did before.  She goes on to do her solo movie set post Endgame where she spends a lot of time feeling guilt-ridden over Clint.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

I think it was probably mandated by Scarlett Johansson, who likely wants out of the big, tentpole movies along with RDJ and Chris Evans. Unlike Chris Hemsworth, she never got the creative rejuvenation of a director like Taika Waititi, and she never got to be more than an ensemble player.

They appear to have sold her on a solo movie, but I'm predicting it will be a prequel, and she'll still probably end up sharing a lot of screen time with Jeremy Renner or some other guy. I think that will be her last involvement in the MCU. Signing off with the movie she wanted to make eight years ago, which will now feel like a bit of an afterthought, rather than a foundation piece of the MCU.

And the only way to get Natasha Romanoff away from the Avengers now is by killing her, sadly.

• Love 2
(edited)
34 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

The alternative was Natasha lives and comes back, the other Avengers feel bad but don't even spend two seconds mourning him because frankly they weren't that close. Then after the battle Natasha has to tell Clint's wife and kids what happened to him and Natasha feels even worse than she did before.  She goes on to do her solo movie set post Endgame where she spends a lot of time feeling guilt-ridden over Clint.

Only if you consider going forward with a “soul for a soul” the only option. The writers created that and they could have come up with another choice. They had no problem throwing out logic with the rest of the story.

My other alternative is a better written script that gave an actual reason for Clint and Natasha to be the ones on Vormir. I have no problem with Nat dying just with the way it was done. 

Edited by Guest
3 minutes ago, Dani said:

Only if you consider going forward with a “soul for a soul” the only option. The writers created that and they could have come up with another choice. They had no problem throwing out logic with the rest of the story.

My other alternative is a better written script that gave an actual reason for Clint and Natasha to be the ones on Vormir. I have no problem with Nat dying just with the way it was done. 

I mean the real reason is "because it would be the most gut-wrenching and hardest emotionally for the audience" because that's why we watch movies and TV and even sports. We watch for the drama and drama involves bad shit happening. Even comfort TV like Murder She Wrote. We don't watch it to see a 60 something widower just write novels and teach at a college. We watched her because she was solving murders that happen to occur everywhere she goes!

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

I mean the real reason is "because it would be the most gut-wrenching and hardest emotionally for the audience" because that's why we watch movies and TV and even sports. 

Yes, but I need the story to support the gut-wrenching moment. For me, Natasha’s death worked in the moment but the rest of the story did not support that emotional moment and left it feeling hollow. This feeling was compounded by the way the character as been misused throughout the MCU. 

For contrast Tony’s death resonated more because it was gut-wrenching and made sense within the story. 

49 minutes ago, Dani said:

I agree that the script was lacking leading up to Natasha's death.  They had Clint go very dark to the point of him being irredeemable,  then somehow Clint and Natasha are the ones who have to get the soul stone with no reason given, and then they go with a fight scene.  I do believe that the Natasha shown in Winter Soldier, Civil War and Infinity War would sacrifice herself for the stone, but the writers of Endgame did a pisspoor job of selling this.

• Love 3

Natasha made sense to me as the one to die simply because they never increased her abilities beyond being an amazing fighter.  Before I even saw the movie I wondered why watching her shoot in the trailer was supposed to make me feel like Thanos had met his match.  They needed to do more with her before that final scene.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

To be honest, this would be fine with me. 

3 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

I think it was probably mandated by Scarlett Johansson, who likely wants out of the big, tentpole movies along with RDJ and Chris Evans. Unlike Chris Hemsworth, she never got the creative rejuvenation of a director like Taika Waititi, and she never got to be more than an ensemble player.

I do agree that whatever the scriptwriters claim, Natasha’s death probably happened because ScarJo wanted out. But I don’t think that absolves them from writing her a good death.

3 hours ago, Dani said:

Exactly. If ScarJo wants out then by all means, kill Natasha...but do it in a better way.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

To be honest, this would be fine with me. 

I do agree that whatever the scriptwriters claim, Natasha’s death probably happened because ScarJo wanted out. But I don’t think that absolves them from writing her a good death. 

Exactly. If ScarJo wants out then by all means, kill Natasha...but do it in a better way.

It reminds me of the Marvel vs. DC comics in which they had fans vote on who would win a matchup between a Marvel character and a DC character, and then write the battle according to who won each vote. Wolverine beat Lobo in the vote, but powers-wise there's no way that Wolverine should beat Lobo in a fight (as far as I've heard, anyway. I don't really know Lobo). The writers wrote a scene where Wolverine and Lobo fight offscreen, then the next panel Wolverine is smoking a victory cigarette. It made no story sense, but that's what they had to do.

Finally got around to seeing it and really enjoyed it. I did think the first half was kind lf slow, and thought they didn't do a good job switching back and forth between the teams during the heist part (IW did a lot better at tracking teams). But the second half more than made up for it and I enjoyed the hell out of the final battle.

Although with all the talk of Cap's fate and timeline it makes me wonder, what happened to Mjolinir? Did he return it to Dark World Asgard with the reality stone? Or did he hang onto it for awhile? Or is it sitting in the attic somewhere of the house he shared with Peggy.

Also one other thing, there was a person at the funeral scene I didn't really recognize. It was a male kid at the back of the group near the house, behind Maria Hill but before they showed Carol. He had light brown hair. Who was that?

Also poor Liv Tyler they got pretty much everyone back for this movie but her.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Also one other thing, there was a person at the funeral scene I didn't really recognize. It was a male kid at the back of the group near the house, behind Maria Hill but before they showed Carol. He had light brown hair. Who was that?

Harley, the kid from Iron Man 3

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Although with all the talk of Cap's fate and timeline it makes me wonder, what happened to Mjolinir? Did he return it to Dark World Asgard with the reality stone? Or did he hang onto it for awhile? Or is it sitting in the attic somewhere of the house he shared with Peggy.

It had to be on Asgard for the next time prime timeline Thor stuck out his hand to call for it. Just as the stones had to be there to protect the timeline. Once Steve skipped back to Peggy he couldn't make another trip.

The kid in back was the kid from Iron Man 3, Given that Tony and Pepper had taken to calling Peter Parker the kid and it was Peter's picture that Tony Stark kept on his mantle I didn't get how the first "kid" became such a big deal to be with the heroes at the private funeral service.

• Love 1

I'm not sure why a number of the people further back were there, particularly Thunderbolt Ross. Did he show up to pay his respects to Tony or to cause a scene confronting Bruce?

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Raja said:

It had to be on Asgard for the next time prime timeline Thor stuck out his hand to call for it. Just as the stones had to be there to protect the timeline. Once Steve skipped back to Peggy he couldn't make another trip.

That makes sense, although I do wonder if there is any point to doing all the fixes to the timeline, since if Steve goes back to 2014 and replaces the power stone, you still have no Gamora at that time and a dead Thanos. So wouldn't that completely mess everything up?

And speaking of fixing things, did Steve have to put back the Pym particles they stole? Did he have to stop Loki from escaping with the Tesserac?

And speaking of Pym particles did they streal enough in the 70's so that Scott had enough for the final battle? I wasn't keeping track.

And it is almost funny at this point but it seems we got another reminder that Peggy is not good at her job. First she didn't know Hydra took over and now she doesn't even realize someone is in her private office right next to where she is standing.

A student today asked me a question about the movie that I thought I knew the answer to but then when we discussed it more I realised that my response was based on an assumption that could be incorrect.

The kid asked me where did Dr Strange get the his stone from for the final battle. I initially said Dr Strange wouldn't have had his stone. But the kid is convinced Dr Strange did. If the kid is correct, then I have no answer to how the de-dusted Dr Strange has the stone.

Does anyone here know who is correct - Me (no stone in his necklace thing) or the kid (stone in the necklace thing). The kid seems convinced that Dr Strange needs the stone to do all his magic mumbo jumbo, I said he didn't as all the other sorcerers were also doing the mumbo jumbo and they have no stones.

6 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I do not have a particularly high opinion of James Cameron, but I'll give him this one.

I'm curious to see what will happen if/when it passes Avatar.  Post-merger, Disney has seven of the top ten highest grossing films.

I thought Dr. Strange didn’t need the stone, but did need his double ring thing (technical name, I know) to bring everyone together.  I am sure someone more knowledgeable than I knows for sure.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Bill1978 said:

Does anyone here know who is correct - Me (no stone in his necklace thing) or the kid (stone in the necklace thing). The kid seems convinced that Dr Strange needs the stone to do all his magic mumbo jumbo, I said he didn't as all the other sorcerers were also doing the mumbo jumbo and they have no stones.

You’re right. The time stone was in the gauntlet throughout the final battle.  Strange only needs the stone to manipulate time everything else he can do on his own or with his sling ring. 

1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

That makes sense, although I do wonder if there is any point to doing all the fixes to the timeline, since if Steve goes back to 2014 and replaces the power stone, you still have no Gamora at that time and a dead Thanos. So wouldn't that completely mess everything up?

If you go with the Russo’s explanation each time period they traveled to should be the start of a new alternate timeline. Returning the stones and hammer just minimizes the negative impact on the new timelines but has no impact on the main MCU timeline. So there would now be timeline where Thanos disappeared in 2014 so the Guardians movies and the snap never happened but it doesn’t change Endgame in any way. 

1 hour ago, Dani said:

If you go with the Russo’s explanation each time period they traveled to should be the start of a new alternate timeline. Returning the stones and hammer just minimizes the negative impact on the new timelines but has no impact on the main MCU timeline. So there would now be timeline where Thanos disappeared in 2014 so the Guardians movies and the snap never happened but it doesn’t change Endgame in any way. 

That makes sense. Time travel stories are always very mind bendy and hard to do well. This one was pretty good for how many different things it was juggling.

l belive that Steve went back to 45 and created a different timeline then crossed over when he was old, probably after Peggy died. Mostly because if he stayed in the main timeline he would basically have to live in hiding to not mess things up and I don't see him doing that. But it is interesting to think how the MCU changes if Steve comes back to Peggy. First off Howard Stark probably lives and Tony doesn't become Iron Man (because Howard would still probably be running Stark Industries and in Afghanistan). Carol probably doesn't become CM because Mar-vell probably doesn't get ahold of the tesseract (and Fury doesn't lose an eye). Does Cap go and kill baby Thanos? It would kind of go against his idea in Winter Soldier about punishing before the crime. Also in that timeline what do they do with the other Cap on ice?

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Does Cap go and kill baby Thanos? It would kind of go against his idea in Winter Soldier about punishing before the crime. Also in that timeline what do they do with the other Cap on ice?

No. He isn't the kind of person to kill a baby, no matter how evil it'll be when it grows up. There's plenty of time later, once he starts on his genocidal path. Same with Hitler. He was in World War I, and later prison. Both are situations where accidents happen... (Hint hint to any time travellers.)

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

And speaking of Pym particles did they streal enough in the 70's so that Scott had enough for the final battle? I wasn't keeping track 

Since we saw an undusted Hank at the funeral Iassume he provided more particles.  Actually I'm assuming he helped build the new Quantum platform that we saw them using at the end of the movie as well.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

Since we saw an undusted Hank at the funeral Iassume he provided more particles.  Actually I'm assuming he helped build the new Quantum platform that we saw them using at the end of the movie as well.

But Scott turned Ant sized when Thanos bombed the base, then to Giant man during the battle then to ant sized again (i think) when working with the wasp. I coul see Hope helping him at the end but where did the other Pym Particles he needed come from. Did Cap get enough in the 70's?

I believe it was one vial for a round trip through the quantum realm.  It seems like for general Ant-man/Giant-man stuff the vials go a longer way.  

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Matt K said:

I believe it was one vial for a round trip through the quantum realm.  It seems like for general Ant-man/Giant-man stuff the vials go a longer way.  

But he said he had enough for everyone plus two extra doeses. Then he accidentally shrunk and got big again and then said there was one extra dose. Plus if like said above if Steve grabbed extra vials I can accept that there was more for Scott. Especially since the ones from young Hank were probably good for more than 1 shrink/grow cycle.

7 hours ago, benteen said:

I could have seen Widow take over as leader of the new Avengers but yeah, if ScarJo wanted out, then she wanted out.

Did she publicly state that she wanted out, or is everyone just making assumptions? I ask because I was very aware that Chris and Robert were out after this, but I didn't read anything about Scarlet until this forum. 

• Love 2