Type keyword(s) to search

Avengers: Endgame (2019)

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

I don't understand the intense hatred for Captain Marvel.  Why does she trigger so many nuts out there. Why does a fictitious person inspire so much vitriol.  The misogyny is really scary. Some people need to get some perspective, it is not that serious.  I liked the scene with the women, but, I can understand why some people felt it was forced. Live and let live..

How dare a woman be so strong? It's all right with the others, their power level is acceptable. Especially Black Widow, because she's hot. But I can't dominate a woman at the top of the power ladder. Because I would totally have a chance anyway. So no matter how much money Captain Marvel makes, the series should bend to my wishes alone.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

The whole movie was bittersweet, with genuine sacrifices being made so that others could have the chance to get their lives back.

That's how I felt as well. Saw it 3rd time today. Thought I wouldn't be as emotional, and boy was I wrong. I'm still stunned that the MCU existed at all and that, for me, they totally stuck the landing. 

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, calliope1975 said:

That's how I felt as well. Saw it 3rd time today. Thought I wouldn't be as emotional, and boy was I wrong. I'm still stunned that the MCU existed at all and that, for me, they totally stuck the landing. 

I actually got more emotional the second time.  

• Love 10
(edited)

Finally saw this last night, and though I was fully ready to hate on it, the movie was such fun.

Rocket and Thor were probably my favorite parts of this - their banter was genuinely funny. I was over Tony Stark a while ago, so I had no problem with him being killed off. I mean, he got a great sendoff, so that's something.

The movie also had a lot of heart, which I didn't expect. The Peter/Tony scenes were especially poignant.

While parts of this dragged for me, I loved the last hour or so. Similar to what others have mentioned here, there were whoops and cheers in my theater. It's not perfect by any means (Why was Capt. Marvel gone for most of the action? I kept asking my sister "Where is Carol!"), but this film is the very definition of the term crowd pleaser.

The end credits were excellent. I was genuinely moved.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, starri said:

I saw it again today and found myself tearing up during Nat's peanut butter sandwich. I lost it when Peter started crying and was messed up until the end. Definitely more emotional the second time.

Re-watching the epic fight at the end was a delight, but I'm still wondering how the hell Thanos was so powerful without the gauntlet? Thor had two magic hammers all by himself! The amount of mojo he was wielding was insane, plus Iron Man & Cap? Come on, now. Still, I was beyond thrilled to see it all play out on screen. As a comic fan, I don't think any superhero film to come can top that feeling for me.

• Love 5

Even though I'm not a fan, when Endgame was getting near, I started to get hyped. I didn't expect liking it, since that has been the case with most of these movies, but I knew I had to see it. And even though I don't care about MCU from an entertainment value, I do respect them for what they've accomplished.

Surprisingly I found Endgame to be okay. There were fun/interesting scenes and sequences. Although it was mostly fanservice: the movie or MCU: greatest hits, they made it work. I do have some issues, but nothing major. Well, atleast not before the final battle. When the armies appeared, I lost my interest.

Even though I didn't feel anything for the

Spoiler

deaths and Cap aging,

I can see why people are getting sad about them.

Overall it was decent. Nothing I would need to see again, though. Definitely much better than Infinity, which for me is the worst of the series. 

5 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

While parts of this dragged for me, I loved the last hour or so. Similar to what others have mentioned here, there were whoops and cheers in my theater. It's not perfect by any means (Why was Capt. Marvel gone for most of the action? I kept asking my sister "Where is Carol!"), but this film is the very definition of the term crowd pleaser.

Carol being absent for much of it was a necessary move, given how powerful she is. A lot of the misogynist fanboys were already crying that she'd "ruin" Endgame by killing Thanos single-handedly, but the writers were obviously cognizant of the narrative problems she could cause.

So she's off helping other planets, and checking in periodically with Natasha and the others. It makes sense that she isn't part of the time heist, because she wasn't on Earth when they came up with the idea, and there was no reason to think they'd need her particular set of abilities.

Her entrance into the climax of the movie was one of the highlights for me. It was a bit of epic awesome, which these movies do so well. They build Thanos' ship up as a major threat - it destroys the entire Avengers facility and then starts raining fire down on the massed heroes, to the point that you're wondering how the hell anyone can survive. She destroys that ship in seconds, leaving even Thanos slack-jawed. It actually topped Thor's arrival on Earth in Infinity War.

• Love 11

I wish these films did a better job at showing the team forming meaningful bonds with one another outside of work. I was thinking about poor Thor. Here he is living on Earth for the past five years, and no one on the team seems aware that he's fallen apart. He's closest to Bruce, and he was obviously shocked by Thor's state. Steve is leading a support group to help people cope and move on, and Thor is a damned wreck. Was there really no communication, no visits? This is sad.

• Love 10
27 minutes ago, Jeebus Cripes said:

I wish these films did a better job at showing the team forming meaningful bonds with one another outside of work. I was thinking about poor Thor. Here he is living on Earth for the past five years, and no one on the team seems aware that he's fallen apart. He's closest to Bruce, and he was obviously shocked by Thor's state. Steve is leading a support group to help people cope and move on, and Thor is a damned wreck. Was there really no communication, no visits? This is sad.

Well, he had the surviving Asgardians, Korg and Miek (with no explanation as to how they did survive) so it's not like he's all alone. I can see why they might have been happy to leave him to build New Asgard and figure out a future for his people.

But did any of them know that Bruce was now Professor Hulk either? I can't remember. Natasha and Steve were still friends, but clearly not spending much time together and I can imagine that Steve tried to get Natasha to join his group a few times, and was rebuffed. He did know that Natasha was working herself to the bone, although maybe that was predictable.

Oddly,  Nebula and Rocket probably got the closest, as they were working together on whatever space missions they were doing. And that's a movie I could happily watch.

These are all things that DVD extras would be so great for. A bunch of five to ten minute shorts, showing scenes from the last five years - Thor reuniting with his people, Rocket antagonising Carol, Okoye taking charge of Wakanda, Nebula having random conversations with anyone.

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

Oddly,  Nebula and Rocket probably got the closest, as they were working together on whatever space missions they were doing. And that's a movie I could happily watch.

These are all things that DVD extras would be so great for. A bunch of five to ten minute shorts, showing scenes from the last five years - Thor reuniting with his people, Rocket antagonising Carol, Okoye taking charge of Wakanda, Nebula having random conversations with anyone.

Nebula and Tony at the beginning was super interesting to me. Seeing her nurturing side in this film was great; Those moments with Tony, her and Rocket holding hands. Love that stuff. All in stark contrast to 2014 Nebula, showcasing how far she's come as a character.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Jeebus Cripes said:

Those moments with Tony, her and Rocket holding hands. Love that stuff. All in stark contrast to 2014 Nebula, showcasing how far she's come as a character.

I had noticed this the first time I saw the movie, but it hadn't really registered with me until the second time.  After the time jump, she's changed her...head panels(?) to match the color of the Benatar.

Nebula in general jumped out more.  While the main story by definition had to be about the Big Six, she (and to a lesser extent Rhodey) got an entire arc.  

I loved that as the Asguardian soldiers were chasing Rocket after he'd extracted the Aether from Jane, one of them yelled something like "Get the rabbit!"  

• Love 17
6 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Well, he had the surviving Asgardians, Korg and Miek (with no explanation as to how they did survive) so it's not like he's all alone. I can see why they might have been happy to leave him to build New Asgard and figure out a future for his people.

But did any of them know that Bruce was now Professor Hulk either? I can't remember. Natasha and Steve were still friends, but clearly not spending much time together and I can imagine that Steve tried to get Natasha to join his group a few times, and was rebuffed. He did know that Natasha was working herself to the bone, although maybe that was predictable.

I hope we see that in Guardians 3. The rest of the team was gone for 5 years to come back to see Rocket and Nebula are best buds now. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Well, he had the surviving Asgardians, Korg and Miek (with no explanation as to how they did survive) so it's not like he's all alone.

That doesn't excuse Valkyrie allow Thor to become Sakaar-era her imo. It would've been nice to get 5-10 minutes with her, prior to the debut of Neckbeard Thor.

(edited)

Second trailer for Spider-Man: Far From Home is up. Tom Holland pops up at the beginning, warning people about Endgame spoilers. I'm curious if this trailer will be played in theaters, because I don't think people would be fast enough to run out to avoid getting spoiled. Also, couldn't Tom have stowed the English accent? I'm not saying he should have used the "Peter Parker by way of Morty Smith" tone from the movies. It's just jarring to remember a lot of comic book characters are played by Brits.

Seriously, though, the trailer has follow-up from Endgame, including Tony's death.

Edited by Lantern7
(edited)
1 hour ago, Sakura12 said:

I hope we see that in Guardians 3. The rest of the team was gone for 5 years to come back to see Rocket and Nebula are best buds now. 

That's what I'm hoping for too. I'd love to see Quill and Mantis being completely nonplussed by how effectively they communicate. Drax probably wouldn't notice, and Groot wouldn't really have much to say about it.

But I'm really curious as to how Thor and Gamora will fit in to the new dynamic. Even though it's 2014 Gamora, she shouldn't be evil, because she was already planning to abandon Thanos and go into business for herself. 

Thor and Quill will continue to butt heads, and I kind of think Thor will be more of a purely comedic character, while Quill does the heavy emotional lifting. It'll be interesting to see a Thor without the burdens or expectations of leadership, for the first time in his life.

16 minutes ago, Dee said:

That doesn't excuse Valkyrie allow Thor to become Sakaar-era her imo. It would've been nice to get 5-10 minutes with her, prior to the debut of Neckbeard Thor.

I honestly think Valkyrie only appears because fans kept asking where she was, and whether Thanos killed her. They never allowed for her escape, in Infinity War. Or the other "half" of the Asgardians. It's a bit of a retcon job. Wish they'd done the same for Sif.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, Dani said:

There might be answers about that very soon. There are reports that the new Far From Home trailer is going to be released soon and that it will include a Endgame spoiler warning. If it’s true, it will be interesting to see what is considered big enough to warrant a spoiler warning. 

The trailer indeed happened.  And does very much go into Peter's reactions. Sadly the trailer doesn't show May's mindset or opinions about any of this (she doesn't even appear in it), so we're still up in the air about where she's been for the past 5 years, what their living situation is, or why she's okay with Peter traveling.

There is definitely a hint though.  We've been told FFH picks up right after Endgame.  But if you pay CLOSE attention to the new trailer you can see time is passing.  My theory is that the first scene is right after Endgame. But the REST of the movie is several months later.  Time for murals of Iron Man to be painted. Time for Peter to swap up his suits at least once. Time for a school trip to have actually been planned.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

I don't understand the intense hatred for Captain Marvel.  Why does she trigger so many nuts out there. Why does a fictitious person inspire so much vitriol.  The misogyny is really scary. Some people need to get some perspective, it is not that serious.  I liked the scene with the women, but, I can understand why some people felt it was forced. Live and let live..

There are layers to what happened with Bree Larson.

I think we have to go back in time a bit to start.  A few years ago some not very nice people in Russia set up Troll Farms, where the goal was to log in and impersonate Americans and post on our social media and websites as if they were Americans. And to stir up divisions they rarely invented but were happy to exploit. The goal being to destabilize our culture in any way possible.

Putting aside any political/electoral side of this (not allowed I know), this extended even to Pop culture apparently.  

Again, they did not invent these divisions. So going out and screaming "you're a Russian Troll" rarely works anymore, because at this point only rarely is that true. What they did was dive in, stir the conflict (often arguing both sides) and draw in real people with those opinions, who then felt emboldened to take it up.

I believe that's exactly what happened with Bree Larson, and the monstrous reactions and lies surrounding a simple rather mild statement from her.  Real people saw it and objected. In no way am I theorizing that didn't happen first and for real. The Trolls saw that, took up the mantle for a bit, and whipped people into a frenzy.  Then for the most part they did what they seem to usually do now and leaned back out of it and let the whipped up real radicals take back the argument.  It's all about emboldening intolerance and conduct which just a few years ago would have been almost universally seen as shameful.  "How DARE Bree Larson make a statement about wanting better representation in coverage?" being the starting point, but then the attacks getting more subtle, impugning her acting or lines scripted for her, and using vague ad hominen attacks which even make their way back to mainstream reviews and articles, with vague stuff like "there's something wrong with Captain Marvel but I can't quite put my finger on it". Or "I'm sorry, I just don't like her", with no further explanation. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

I honestly think Valkyrie only appears because fans kept asking where she was, and whether Thanos killed her. They never allowed for her escape, in Infinity War. Or the other "half" of the Asgardians. It's a bit of a retcon job. Wish they'd done the same for Sif.

In showing the Thanos attack on Gamora's home we retroactively got the ideal he beat the army and then killed half. That Valkyrie, Miek and Korg were part of the surviving half was just a given left on the cutting room floor, or even never filmed as the writers cut it up front to save money filming the scene.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Dani said:

It certainly won't be the only scene we find out was cut.  For example, as I've been saying for a while, I am close to 100% convinced there was a scene with the various female heroes who later "spontaneously" team up actually first meeting before that, and it got cut (unwisely I think) for time,

I also wonder if there wasn't an actual scene with Dr. Strange and Peter Parker undusting which was not used, because they later decided they could simply have Peter SAY that happened and accomplish most of the same things.  Such a scene may or may not have been actually filmed, since we know there were at least a few reshoots and Peter saying what he did could have been one of those.

I also have a gut feeling there were likely a few more bits of Captain Marvel that got cut.

Finally, I also truly wonder if Nick Fury on that porch was his only appearance. It seems to me that Tony Stark is not the only real "beginning" point of the MCU... Nick Fury is as well. And so it seems to me very logical that there was probably a bit more material for him, either scripted, shot and cut, or maybe just scripted and not shot.  Probably taken out because they got Sam Jackson to commit to more appearances going forward, so bookending his involvement wasn't really necessary the way it was for the others.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Kromm said:

The trailer indeed happened.  And does very much go into Peter's reactions. Sadly the trailer doesn't show May's mindset or opinions about any of this (she doesn't even appear in it), so we're still up in the air about where she's been for the past 5 years, what their living situation is, or why she's okay with Peter traveling.

It also touches on something that was discussed briefly elsewhere on this site. Namely, Jon Favreau managing to get with (or looking like he might get with) women who are ludicrously out of his league. Marisa Tomei, even at the age of 54, isn't checking out Happy Hogan and flirting with him.

57 minutes ago, Kromm said:

It certainly won't be the only scene we find out was cut.  For example, as I've been saying for a while, I am close to 100% convinced there was a scene with the various female heroes who later "spontaneously" team up actually first meeting before that, and it got cut (unwisely I think) for time,

I also wonder if there wasn't an actual scene with Dr. Strange and Peter Parker undusting which was not used, because they later decided they could simply have Peter SAY that happened and accomplish most of the same things.  Such a scene may or may not have been actually filmed, since we know there were at least a few reshoots and Peter saying what he did could have been one of those.

I also have a gut feeling there were likely a few more bits of Captain Marvel that got cut.

Finally, I also truly wonder if Nick Fury on that porch was his only appearance. It seems to me that Tony Stark is not the only real "beginning" point of the MCU... Nick Fury is as well. And so it seems to me very logical that there was probably a bit more material for him, either scripted, shot and cut, or maybe just scripted and not shot.  Probably taken out because they got Sam Jackson to commit to more appearances going forward, so bookending his involvement wasn't really necessary the way it was for the others.

I really hope that, because it's the last movie of this era of the MCU, they go all out with the blu-ray release, and we get a ton of deleted scenes, featurettes, discussions, commentaries. I want to see what was filmed, what was written, what was considered and then discarded.

But cutting Katherine Langford's appearance as older Morgan Stark? I am cool with it. Because I like the actress and I think she should be given a more substantial role. I still want her to play Kate Bishop, in the Hawkeye show.

It also sounds like it was the right choice for this movie. Because Anthony Russo is right, people don't want to hear someone we've never really met tell Tony (and us) that it will be okay. We want to hear Pepper Potts tell us. We've been along for the ride with her, putting up with Tony Stark, and it's fitting that she's there for the end of the journey.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:
1 hour ago, Kromm said:

It also touches on something that was discussed briefly elsewhere on this site. Namely, Jon Favreau managing to get with (or looking like he might get with) women who are ludicrously out of his league. Marisa Tomei, even at the age of 54, isn't checking out Happy Hogan and flirting with him.

Well if happened during the first snap with 50% of the population gone, her options were more limited. If there's anytime to take your chance with someone out of your league its then. 

• LOL 1

Why not, she is 50 something and doesn't seem to come from any ruling royal class. And Happy is not ugly or anything as if that were the most important factor in choosing a mate past reproductive age.. He has stable employment and pretty close to very high ups in Stark industries

• Love 7
12 hours ago, Jeebus Cripes said:

I was thinking about poor Thor. Here he is living on Earth for the past five years, and no one on the team seems aware that he's fallen apart. He's closest to Bruce, and he was obviously shocked by Thor's state. Steve is leading a support group to help people cope and move on, and Thor is a damned wreck. Was there really no communication, no visits? This is sad.

I thought that worked because sometimes you have a friend in a bad place who just doesn't want your help.  All you can do is walk away and that was how I saw Thor, judging by the way he reacted when Bruce brought up Thanos.

I really hope that, because it's the last movie of this era of the MCU, they go all out with the blu-ray release, and we get a ton of deleted scenes, featurettes, discussions, commentaries. I want to see what was filmed, what was written, what was considered and then discarded.

I hope so too.  It really feels like there was a lot of footage they just had to cut for time.  I think if they wanted they could have done Infinity War/Endgame as a trilogy, not that I wanted to wait a year between each.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Raja said:
3 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Why not, she is 50 something and doesn't seem to come from any ruling royal class. And Happy is not ugly or anything as if that were the most important factor in choosing a mate past reproductive age.. He has stable employment and pretty close to very high ups in Stark industries

Seriously. A genuinely good person who is not at all unattractive (even if he doesn't have the physique of a 30 yo body builder) is far more appealing than a hunky d-bag. Especially as a woman gets older and less inclined to put up with some guy's bullsh!t.

Not to mention, some women - even the "hot" ones - actually are into the teddy bear looking guys. It's certainly not unheard of.

• Love 9
(edited)
4 hours ago, Kromm said:

Several interviews have mentioned that Fury had at least one conversation with someone at the funeral, which clearly got cut.

eta: Okay, this is the closest I’ve found to a verification, so as it turns out, it may well not be true. But I could have sworn I read an interview with either the screenwriters or the Russos about it. Running out the door now but I’ll keep digging later.

Edited by stealinghome
2 hours ago, Raja said:

I'd think Happy doing his best to dismiss/ignore Peter in Homecoming despite being given the responsibility of looking after him by Stark, and thus landing him in that potentially deadly situation with the Vulture and no support, might be the important thing for May to consider rather than his looks or career prospects. If most guys who want to date her form a dislike of Peter and blow off looking out for him it would result in hurt feelings and maybe having to ride the subway across town, not being blown up by supervillains.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

I'd think Happy doing his best to dismiss/ignore Peter in Homecoming despite being given the responsibility of looking after him by Stark, and thus landing him in that potentially deadly situation with the Vulture and no support, might be the important thing for May to consider rather than his looks or career prospects. If most guys who want to date her form a dislike of Peter and blow off looking out for him it would result in hurt feelings and maybe having to ride the subway across town, not being blown up by supervillains.

Well if Peter gave his aunt an after action report after she caught him without the mask perhaps. But I really doubt that would happen.

I don't think I've remembered to comment on what was one of the funniest moments of this movie for me personally.

As we were walking into the theater I noticed my 14 yo was wearing his trashiest hoodie (he wears hoodies almost year round, except for when it's too hot even for him to stand it) -- I mean to tell you, this hoodie literally should have been thrown away months ago but he just won't let it go.  The cuffs of the sleeves have more hole than they do seam.  It's bad.  I "affectionately" said something to him about wearing it, as I often do, and that was that.  So I thought.

Well, we got to the part in the movie where Thor is in the past at Asgard and I happened to notice what he was wearing.  I leaned over to my son and whispered "Is he wearing sweats under his cape?!"  He just laughed a little and said "I don't know."  Then I saw the pockets in the front of the shirt, and just about lost it.  I whispered in a shriek "No....it's not sweats....it's a HOODIE.  He's wearing a hoodie, just like you, and it looks like he dragged it out of the trash, just like you!  OMG.........HE'S WEARING A HOODIE.........."  I was laughing so hard my older son literally leaned over from two seats away and told me to calm down so he could hear the movie.  

Ahhhhh, good times.

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
On 5/5/2019 at 6:17 PM, starri said:

This will totally happen for me when I see it again. It will happen because I'm much more affected by the happy, families reunited, getting to see your dad, stuff than the sad stuff. (Probably because my general attitude about life is Why would anything good happen? 

I was surprised that the full theater I was in didn't laugh as much as I did at the humor. I mean, there was a lot going on, but still lighten up people. The America's Ass got a big laugh, but stuff like Rocket reacting Captain America's pre-time travel speech "He's really good at that" and Ant Man "Yeah! He really is!" was awesome and I felt goofy laughing as loud as I did.

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

, but stuff like Rocket reacting Captain America's pre-time travel speech "He's really good at that" and Ant Man "Yeah! He really is!" was awesome and I felt goofy laughing as loud as I did.

I think that one played off of the  Infinity War scenes when Rocket and Peter Quill went on about who was the leader. Later when Peter Quill and Thor went on about it, Rocket didn't jump in.

1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

I was surprised that the full theater I was in didn't laugh as much as I did at the humor. I mean, there was a lot going on, but still lighten up people. The America's Ass got a big laugh, but stuff like Rocket reacting Captain America's pre-time travel speech "He's really good at that" and Ant Man "Yeah! He really is!" was awesome and I felt goofy laughing as loud as I did.

I saw it the second weekend and the theater laughed quietly at most things. We were a group of 10 and couldn't get seats together (and we paid for those tickets and chose the seats a week in advance). Right during the first few minutes--I think it was Tony and Nebula doing table football--one of my group who was sitting across the theater from me let out a huge laugh and the audience was silent. My daughter, who was sitting next to me, and I started laughing silently because we knew exactly who that was who laughed. I think Tony's quips and Rocket's snark got the most laughs, though Rhodey and his snark was a close second. "Do you know what runs through my veins?" "Cheez-whiz?" hahahaha! Poor Thor.

• Love 4

I think by the second weekend you had two groups, those that are not fans of the previous 21 chapters of the MCU but Endgame was the cultural talk for the week so are seeing what it is about for themselves. And the superfan on a rewatch trying to get every Easter egg before the home video is available for them to stop the screen and pull out  a magnifying glass thus they need quiet to get every sound effect and piece of dialog.

• Love 5
42 minutes ago, frenchtoast said:

"Cheez-whiz?" hahahaha! Poor Thor

Ha! I forgot about that line. Yeah, poor Thor. I do really love how they humanize the characters, regardless of how not-human they are.

• Love 3
(edited)

For me it's not a question what's more plausible it's what's more cooler. I think Cap creating an alternate timeline is interesting(Cap could prevent the JFK assassination!) but I also like the idea of Cap and Peggy secretly undermining HYDRA while HYDRA is secretly undermining SHIELD! "They don't know we know!" is fun to me.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Raja said:

I think by the second weekend you had two groups, those that are not fans of the previous 21 chapters of the MCU but Endgame was the cultural talk for the week so are seeing what it is about for themselves. And the superfan on a rewatch trying to get every Easter egg before the home video is available for them to stop the screen and pull out  a magnifying glass thus they need quiet to get every sound effect and piece of dialog.

Word. I saw it the day after it opened, and the theater was howling with laughter. My second viewing was a week later, and there was very little laughing. 

I still can't deal with the directors and writers not being of one mind when it comes to Cap's ending. Ugh.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Ha! I forgot about that line. Yeah, poor Thor. I do really love how they humanize the characters, regardless of how not-human they are.

Yeah, as funny as it sometimes was to see Thor fat, when Prof Hulk was trying to talk to him, saying how Thor saved him and he's going to help Thor now, I don't think Thor was there solely for comic relief. His whole breakdown with Rocket in Asgard while funny because it's not the Thor we're used to, it's also so heartbreaking because he lost everything, even himself. I'm glad he's going with the Guardians who have no expectation of what he should be and how he should be. And I'm glad he saw his mother and not his father. He needed that validation that it's ok to be lost and it's ok to be who you are and not what is expected of you. What's the expression, it' so bad that if you didn't laugh you'd cry. That, for me, is Thor in this movie. 

But I laughed a lot at some of the Thor stuff. Chris Hemsworth walked the line between pathos and humor so well. He is perfect as Thor. Actually I can't think of one misstep in casting. 

• Love 11
40 minutes ago, frenchtoast said:

His whole breakdown with Rocket in Asgard while funny because it's not the Thor we're used to, it's also so heartbreaking because he lost everything, even himself.

Something I don't know if anyone has even commented on (if they have, I either didn't see it or don't remember it) -- Thor probably blames himself, big time, for 1) Thanos having time to make the Snap in the first place ("you should.....you should have gone for the head") and 2) killing Thanos dead-dead at the beginning of Endgame before they had time to figure out if there was a way to maybe find shards of the Stones which might still be powerful enough to work, or undo what Thanos had done, or something to "fix this".  I know it was a knee-jerk reaction but I'm pretty sure all the Avengers who were there yelled at Thor when he chopped Thanos' head off.  (I've only seen it once though, so maybe someone can verify that?)  After feeling like he had failed the entire freaking universe the first time, Thor probably really took it to heart that he might have just messed up again with his 'kill first, ask questions later' style of fighting.

46 minutes ago, frenchtoast said:

Yeah, as funny as it sometimes was to see Thor fat, when Prof Hulk was trying to talk to him, saying how Thor saved him and he's going to help Thor now, I don't think Thor was there solely for comic relief. His whole breakdown with Rocket in Asgard while funny because it's not the Thor we're used to, it's also so heartbreaking because he lost everything, even himself. I'm glad he's going with the Guardians who have no expectation of what he should be and how he should be. And I'm glad he saw his mother and not his father. He needed that validation that it's ok to be lost and it's ok to be who you are and not what is expected of you. What's the expression, it' so bad that if you didn't laugh you'd cry. That, for me, is Thor in this movie. 

But I laughed a lot at some of the Thor stuff. Chris Hemsworth walked the line between pathos and humor so well. He is perfect as Thor. Actually I can't think of one misstep in casting. 

His performance was fantastic. He broke my heart and made me laugh simultaneously. I know a lot of people are upset that they played his pain for laughs, but Hemsworth was so outstanding in selling the grief mixed with humor that I couldn't be mad at it. 

• Love 11
8 minutes ago, Taryn74 said:

2) killing Thanos dead-dead at the beginning of Endgame before they had time to figure out if there was a way to maybe find shards of the Stones which might still be powerful enough to work, or undo what Thanos had done, or something to "fix this".  I know it was a knee-jerk reaction but I'm pretty sure all the Avengers who were there yelled at Thor when he chopped Thanos' head off.  (I've only seen it once though, so maybe someone can verify that?)

I don't think they yelled at him, it was more of a shocked "what did you do?" reaction. 

• Love 2