Type keyword(s) to search

Season 16 (Kentucky) Last Chance Kitchen

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, Fukui San said:

That's a real downer of a challenge topic.

For real!

I figured Michelle would be returning based on Kelsey's reaction on the previews for next week. I like Michelle a lot, and though I normally don't care about such things, it's kinda cool that the top 6 is 2/3 women. Have to admit that the only woman I see as Top Chef winner material is Michelle, but at this point I'm team anyone-but-Sara, which means she probably wins the whole thing. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I would not have cared much which chef won, but when Eddie said his dish and why he chose it, I cheered for Michelle. In the regular competition he said the first thing he cooked for his wife was fish, because she didn't like fish. Last night, he said he would have made his late mother fish because she didn't like fish. Eddie, some people don't like fish. It's not a character flaw, it doesn't limit one's life such that you need to convert them. (I've lived near the ocean all my life, in places known for their seafood. Tried it, hate it. Tired of people trying to make me like it). 

Yay, Michelle.  

• Love 15

Have a soft spot for Eddie and Michelle so I won either way. 

Eddie’s personality doesn’t seem to lean towards stories and dishes and that’s fine. The fact that both stories for wife and mom were basically the same may be true in both cases. For him the ultimate success might have been changing their minds regarding seafood.   See, mom and wife, I’m so good you like fish now  I don’t know  

Also I was getting the feeling Eddie was ‘over it’.  Not sure as I don’t know the man. 

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

I thought Eddie didn't know his wife didn't like fish until after he cooked it. 

If it was on a first date with her long before they married that would make sense.  I have a hunch he is convinced the preparation is the reason someone wouldn't like fish though.  I love it but I know some who don't and it cannot be camouflaged! 

Edited by Bucket
  • Love 1

In the music episode, Eddie said, and this is a direct quote: She doesn't like fish, so I made her fish.  At judges' table, he said that he made her red snapper because she didn't like fish, and he wanted her to like fish. That's pretty clear to me. It's similar to this episode, where cooking for the person is about his skill, what he wants, not about what the person would like to eat.  Just made me a little happier that Michelle won, though I would have been ok with either one coming back. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

A chef in the Nordic restaurant she was cooking in (who's name I know, but can't remember) inspired her to keep going. 

Magnus Nilsson, whose Mind of a Chef series I really enjoyed. Now I want to go back and see if Michelle was there.

First of all, I'm glad they showed who won--I think in past seasons they keep us hanging--and I would have been happy with either one winning.

I've said this before but oh my god, I love the peanut gallery. Brandon is a sociopath? So funny. They should just have a peanut gallery on Top Chef to trash talk. But then it wouldn't be Top Chef, I guess.

I just saw Michelle's inspiration (Magnus Nilsson) on an episode of Chef's Table and I can see how she'd be inspired. I get the feeling she's getting stronger and stronger, and Eddie came off the opposite, IMO.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Deevee45 said:

I have a question about LCK... is this the final one? Or does Eddie compete next week again with the eliminated chef? Or is he eliminated and they start anew with eliminated contestants? 

Yes.  This is the final LCK.  Michelle is back in the regular competition.  Eddie's done.

I was pretty shocked that they told the audience who won and who's back in.  I'm pretty sure that's a first.  Usually they hold off until the following week's episode with a big reveal about who's coming back.

The gallery.
Brandon: I don't think I would have been great at relating food to emotional things.
Brian: Is it because you're a sociopath?

Me: 🤣

• LOL 4
  • Love 8

I'm glad Michelle won.   I totally felt for her, when the lid of her squeeze bottle fell off.  Probably one of the things that pisses me off when I cook, is to have the lid fall off, and cups of oil just spill.

I've said this before but oh my god, I love the peanut gallery. Brandon is a sociopath? So funny.

That exchange was hilarious - perfectly timed and delivered on Brian's part. 

I kind of hate that the final LCK to determine who goes back was rooted in such a personal moment. Like Eddie said, it makes it that much worse when you lose. 

• Love 2

Nice shots of the garden, BTW, considering they were filming for like two months.  I think either they found something even more miraculous than Miracle-Gro or they came back a few months later to take some shots.  They're running out of time to use the garden in a challenge, maybe that was just another idea that didn't pan out.

I also noticed that once again they didn't use any footage of civilians reacting to the food. 

• Love 3

I only wish that Brandon could have gone on for more episodes. I liked him from the beginning and think they made a mistake by eliminating him early in the season. 

I liked Brandon from the start also and I've enjoyed watching some of the interchanges in LCK .  It seems clear to me that the other chefs like him.  I suspect that he can actually cook rings around a couple of the people who are left in the competition.

I like Michelle so I'm happy that she's the one returning.  Her dish looked quite complex for the short time she had to prepare it.  I like Eddie too but his dish was all white and looked boring.  It may have been delicious but it wasn't very appealing.  I thought the other chefs who were watching looked happy that Michelle won.

• Love 3
On 2/20/2019 at 1:49 PM, mlp said:

I thought the other chefs who were watching looked happy that Michelle won.

One of the things that has made this season interesting for me is the way they all really like each other. However, I had to watch LCK to really appreciate that.

On 2/18/2019 at 10:50 PM, Miss chi chi said:

He suffers from resting douche face.

Yep. And he double downs on that with his hair.

• Love 2