Type keyword(s) to search

Season 16 (Kentucky) Last Chance Kitchen

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

47 minutes ago, RebeccatheWriter said:

I know they brought whatshername and Leanne back pretty early last season. I know they started over with the LCK, but I don't remember the details. Specifically, I don't remember if whatshername got to go back to LCK after she lost again or was that just it?

Claudette. She didn’t return to LCK after she got eliminated a second time they just had a week off and then started up again with Brother and Tu.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, biakbiak said:

Claudette. She didn’t return to LCK after she got eliminated a second time they just had a week off and then started up again with Brother and Tu.

Thank you. I could see her in my head but couldn't remember her name. It's hard to Google a visual thought. 

• Love 2
On 1/4/2019 at 1:52 AM, biakbiak said:

I imagine they will do what they normally do when someone comes back from LCK to the show and will have a segment on the actual show showing it for the people who don’t watch LCK.

We'll find out tonight, but it's hard to imagine that we won't see a little recap and the decision as we open the show tonight. Then we drop Brother into the house, other chef-testants blah, blah, blah it's not fair, and then off we go to quickfire. 

And I think Nini should do just fine for a while at least as they start sending the next group of losers her way. Winning every week from here to the end is a REALLY tall order, but I think she's got the skill to make a good run at it. 

And yes, I realize I could be completely wrong and Brother could be the one who has to hang around in LCK purgatory for another several weeks, but it doesn't feel like that's what going to happen. I'm actually rooting for Nini as opposed to him, as I think I would get more value from watching what she would do on the show, but I'm not feeling that I'm going to get my wish.

6 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

imagine that we won't see a little recap and the decision as we open the show tonight. Then we drop Brother into the house, other chef-testants blah, blah, blah it's not fair, and then off we go to quickfire. 

The description for tonight’s episode already stated that the current chefs will walk into the LCK and watch the end of the challenge. 

2 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Are they going to continue Last Chance Kitchen?   I hope so, because I really want to see Nini come back. 

If they do it like they did last season where they had an LCK chef come back earlier and than continued with LCK, NIni won’t be back they will just take a week off and if Brother is eliminated he won’t participate in LCK again.

• Love 1

I don't know, but it felt that the competition is rigged from the start. They wanted to have brother back in the competition, luckily it is a very subjective judging process, so it is easy.

• Love 2

I’m wondering if Pablo is the one to suddenly go on a LCK spree for storyline purposes.  Not exactly successful so far and suddenly on his game. 

Or if he will be used for the next chef eliminated to win. 

OMG ... I’m so cynical anymore. I liked this show when I thought/believed it was a true competition. 

• Love 2

I actually respect Brother a lot for what he was saying in the first few minutes of this week's episode. (I'm also glad that I looked at this thread to learn there WAS a new episode.)

Natalie was my favorite of all the remaining chefs, but I do think Pablo has skills that have not been well suited to the competition thus far. We'll see how he does moving forward, I guess! Finally: I loved that this was a blind competition. It felt like the right thing to do given the circumstances - I'd be okay with it being that way all the time, but I thought it was especially appropriate here.

• Love 3

I loved that this was a blind competition. 

I liked that too but I wondered why Nini chose to make a dish she had to know Tom would realize came from her.  Did she think she's so good that Tom would surely want her back in the competition so she flagged her dish?  I liked that Tom commented that he knew it was hers rather than pretend he didn't.  It made me feel more confident that he judges solely on the food, not the person who made it.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, riprock said:

Where was Carrie?! 

Or Jim?  Good question.  Perhaps when Brother dropped out, the producers decided to allow only the chefs from the current season to return?  I think that should be addressed though. 

• Love 4
On 1/11/2019 at 10:50 AM, hendersonrocks said:

I actually respect Brother a lot for what he was saying in the first few minutes of this week's episode.

I do too and wasn't too surprised - he seemed to be getting more burnt out with each LCK ep and then being booted right as he got back into the main competition; he def seemed over it to me when he left after judging.

Interesting episode - I'm not invested in any of the chefs  but don't think Pablo will make it to the end.

The birthday curse is real, ha!

I wasn't a fan of Brother in his season but he'd started to grow on me during LCK. So much so that I was rooting for him last week and then was glad he made it back in. I wish regular Top Chef viewers could see his interview at the beginning of this episode--that they would run it at the beginning of next week's episode. But it wouldn't be relevant, I know. (I say "regular" because judging from the Top Chef forum, a lot don't watch LCK.)

As for the other contestants, I'm bummed Natalie is out for good--but never say never, right?

49 minutes ago, WendyM said:

As for the other contestants, I'm bummed Natalie is out for good--but never say never, right?

Natalie is actually someone I could see bringing back like they seem to be continuing to do just because she does have a decent resume but was out of the game for 10 months so was probably somewhat rusty. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, WendyM said:

I wasn't a fan of Brother in his season but he'd started to grow on me during LCK. So much so that I was rooting for him last week and then was glad he made it back in. I wish regular Top Chef viewers could see his interview at the beginning of this episode--that they would run it at the beginning of next week's episode. But it wouldn't be relevant, I know. (I say "regular" because judging from the Top Chef forum, a lot don't watch LCK.)

My opinion of Brother is much higher now that I've seen his approach to his return to LCK. I wish him well.

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, The Solution said:

My opinion of Brother is much higher now that I've seen his approach to his return to LCK. I wish him well.

Me too (as I said above). As I was watching, I found myself wondering if they'll create an All-Star season for these near-missers of the past few seasons (like they did during the Blais--ugh--years). If so, there would be his next chance. After he got some rest, lol.

• Love 1

I don’t know why they have such issues with LCK! On my cable’s on demand the episode marked episode 7 and with the correct description is actually the first episode! I know there are other places to view it but I don’t really care enough.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I don’t know why they have such issues with LCK! On my cable’s on demand the episode marked episode 7 and with the correct description is actually the first episode! I know there are other places to view it but I don’t really care enough.

That happened for me, too (Optimum/Cablevision/Altice/ lwhatever name they use this week)! I had to watch via the Bravo app (on Roku). Luckily, I had it set up from last week because neither of the mini-Restaurant Wars episodes were on the OnDemand when I was watching over that weekend. And there’s still one random episode from a past season showing under Top Chef. I can’t imagine this is such a difficult thing to organize that it needs to be continuously messed up. 

Ooh slime, that was kind of fun.  I laughed at Tom sneezing out the green slime (didn't know he had that humor in him) and the jumpsuit comments because I was wondering the same thing, hee.

• Love 2

My On Demand also repeated the first episode for last week, which I already didn't remember.  So you could only  imagine my confusion to see Carrie win, and then Pablo came out to cook against Brandon.  Not to mention, that Tom announced that the five eliminated chefs squared off and Pablo won.  Huh?  Where?

It's a good thing I read this forum!

• Love 3
13 hours ago, raven said:

Ooh slime, that was kind of fun.  I laughed at Tom sneezing out the green slime (didn't know he had that humor in him) and the jumpsuit comments because I was wondering the same thing, hee.

I wish LCK Tom would be featured more at Top Chef. He's a hoot and a half on this version.

• Love 3

In a shocking turn of events I was able to watch this week’s LCK without any issue! 

I know his dish turned out fine but I thought Pablo was an idiot for making okra when he said that he doesn’t cook with it often and doesn’t like it.

I am glad that Brandon won his noodle dish looked delicious! 

• Love 6

Brother was on Pack Your Knives podcast and mentioned he filmed all of his LCKs in one day.

I've wondered if they do that! It seems like a much more efficient use of crew / kitchen / Tom time to stack them up like that, but it seems like it would be exhausting (mentally and physically) for the chefs. 

• Love 2
On 1/22/2019 at 12:03 AM, biakbiak said:

Brother was on Pack Your Knives podcast and mentioned he filmed all of his LCKs in one day.

I'm so easily confused. How does this work? Do they wait until several people have been eliminated from Top Chef and then have a long day of many LCK contests? Do they change clothes between match-ups? (I don't know why I think this question is important.)

I have wondered how they get chefs to return and take time off from their restaurants etc, just to compete on LCK, but if they film it all in a day or two then that makes more sense to me.

Pardon my confusion.

• Love 5

Brandon has been one of my favorites since the beginning and I haven't cared for Brian so I am delighted with the results.  It seems pretty clear that the other chefs like Brandon so that bit on the first episode that made him look bad was editing or just looked bad out of context.  I hope he can hang in there.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, zibnchy said:

I'm so easily confused. How does this work? Do they wait until several people have been eliminated from Top Chef and then have a long day of many LCK contests? Do they change clothes between match-ups? (I don't know why I think this question is important.)

I have wondered how they get chefs to return and take time off from their restaurants etc, just to compete on LCK, but if they film it all in a day or two then that makes more sense to me.

Pardon my confusion.

Yes they change clothes and yes they have multiple LCK in one day. When the chefs are eliminated they are sequestered no one goes home until they all go home so they don’t have to come back for LCK.

• Love 3

Brandon has been one of my favorites since the beginning and I haven't cared for Brian so I am delighted with the results.  It seems pretty clear that the other chefs like Brandon so that bit on the first episode that made him look bad was editing or just looked bad out of context.  I hope he can hang in there.

I'm really enjoying him in LCK, and the joint talking heads with Brian were delightful. He definitely seems like a guy who can come across as a know it all asshat but actually isn't - he just knows his shit and is far more personable than he initially seems.

• Love 7
On 1/25/2019 at 12:51 AM, carrps said:

Puttanesca means fiery woman, Brian??? It means whore! Ha.

I've had many conversations about this one with Italian and Italian-American friends.  My impression is that "whore-style" in this case means something more along the line of "slutty" - like lazy.  All the ingredients in puttanesca are pantry items you would always find in any Italian kitchen - dried pasta, canned tomatoes, jarred olives, capers, and anchovies.  So any slutty/lazy cook could always whip it up on short notice without much trouble.

I'm guessing Brian wanted to be thought of more as "fiery" than "lazy."   Like Tom didn't know what puttanesca meant, or something.

3 hours ago, Grandma Saracen said:

Brandon has really grown on me, and his demeanor is impressing me. I wouldn't mind seeing him be the one to come back. 

Yes, me too - he seems less cocky than just straightforward.  Also seemed to give consistently good advice to his fellow contestants.  

• Love 4
10 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

I've had many conversations about this one with Italian and Italian-American friends.  My impression is that "whore-style" in this case means something more along the line of "slutty" - like lazy.  All the ingredients in puttanesca are pantry items you would always find in any Italian kitchen - dried pasta, canned tomatoes, jarred olives, capers, and anchovies.  So any slutty/lazy cook could always whip it up on short notice without much trouble.

Thanks! I always appreciate additional data. The story I'd heard was that the prostitutes wanted something easy, quick and cheap to make so they could get back to their "jobs." Your story has more verisimilitude, I think.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, carrps said:

The story I'd heard was that the prostitutes wanted something easy, quick and cheap to make so they could get back to their "jobs."

Yeah, I know, you always hear that.   Another variant is that they made it for their johns, who loved it so much it made its way into restaurants.   LOL.  Quite a bargain to get sex AND a meal from a prostitute.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 3

Aw geez, why did Brandon have to go? This was the episode when I finally realized I might like him because he bears an AMAZING resemblance to Andy Samberg. Not cool, cool cool.

I wish they'd revealed the other mystery ingredients. And don't think they should have had instantly recognizable items - I was hoping when the chef who won (he's made such an impression that I don't even remember his name) said he made a scallop dish, Tom replied with "You think it's scallops? Actually,..."

• Love 6

I am also bummed Brandon is out - he grew on me a ton from the first episode, where David has gone in the opposite direction.

For this challenge, it also felt like Brandon’s degree of difficulty was higher. Everything was together in a composed little package; I am kind of tired of the scallop (or other protein) + sauce + misc toppings dish that we see over and over again. Obviously flavor wins, but it seemed like both were pretty good. From the comfort of my couch, I’d have picked the empanada.

• Love 10
On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 8:19 PM, hendersonrocks said:

I'm really enjoying him in LCK, and the joint talking heads with Brian were delightful. He definitely seems like a guy who can come across as a know it all asshat but actually isn't - he just knows his shit and is far more personable than he initially seems.

Me too.  I think he suffers from "Resting Arrogant Face" as much as anything.  As someone who has "Resting B*itch Face" and has had people on the street tell me to "Cheer up love, it may never happen," I can sympathize.

• Love 7

Michelle and Eddie had to cook a meal based on a memory of a worst moment. Eddie chose his mom dying and cooked the meal he would cook for her if she had lived to see him become a chef. Michelle chose when she was in a deep depression and was going to give up her career. A chef in the Nordic restaurant she was cooking in (who's name I know, but can't remember) inspired her to keep going. She cooked a Nordic meal. Michelle won, it was close. She'll be back in the competition next week.

• Love 2