Type keyword(s) to search

Season 16 (Kentucky) Last Chance Kitchen

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

16 minutes ago, Totale said:

Plus she hid the chemical tasting sponsor product in her potatoes rather than screw up her showcase.

When they introduced that salt lick of a product I briefly wondered if the producers had spiked Kevin’s EC dish with salt to go with the sponsor.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, LeighLeigh said:

Does anyone else think they would have brought back Fatima if she wasn’t sick?

Probably because she was still going through chemo but sadly her diagnosis back when this was filmed was much better and they thought she would have a full recovery.

• Love 2
On 12/21/2018 at 3:16 AM, rose711 said:

Only one dish looked liked something I might throw together for breakfast. That was the loser without question.

LOL.  I watched the show this morning and was inspired to make an omelette.  It did NOT look like Natalie's winning omelette, but it tasted OK.  What's his name?  Kevin?  Made me laugh not knowing about the waffle iron.   A savory waffle sounds pretty good actually, though not with the product placement ingredient.

I always enjoy LCK; Tom's relaxed, all they have to do is cook, there's a peanut gallery.  I don't totally trust it since Tom is the only judge, but eh, whatever.  It's a good bite size portion of TC, minus all the extra drama.

• Love 7
On 12/21/2018 at 10:02 AM, PhoneCop said:

Aw, Carrie. And against Neckbeard Cannonfodder, too. Oh well, better luck next returnees' season. Guess I'll officially switch to Natalie, who, I agree, was robbed.

I agree. I thought Carrie would ride LCK to the end, but you could tell when she was putting so much on the plate that she doomed herself. I liked Natalie from the start so I hope she holds out as well.

• Love 2

I like Natalie, too, and hope that she at least earns herself a spot on another season if she wants it. It's an awfully early exit for someone to come back from, though, and have me still feel like they competed on Top Chef.  

• Love 1

It's an awfully early exit for someone to come back from, though

I guess it depends on whether they bring back a chef already early in the season like in season 15 when they brought back LeeAnne and that other chef after just a few episodes.

Kevin was not long for the Top Chef world, so it was no surprise to see him leave tonight. I really like Natalie and hope she can keep it going, and also hope I never have to see Brother’s ridiculous “big guns” move ever again as I am no longer in high school and neither is he.

• Love 2

I figured Kevin would be going as he did seem to be the weakest of those three but I was hoping it would be Brother.  I didn't care for him on his own season and I like him less now.  He got rewarded for trying to sabotage his competition. 

• Love 6

Seconded. I was basically neutral on Brother coming back, but now having watched him blatantly sandbag the others, I'd like to see some comeuppance sooner than later. (I did get my hopes up for a second that Tom would decide it would be a double elimination after that, but alas.)

• Love 7
6 hours ago, PhoneCop said:

having watched him blatantly sandbag the others,

And while taking the time to sandbag the others, the dope wasn't even thinking about what to make! Twenty minutes of time while cleaning the fish and he came up blank when it was time to cook? That's so stupid I was really hoping he'd get kicked to the curb.

• Love 15
On 12/21/2018 at 1:00 PM, rose711 said:

Do you recommend going back and watching her season? I can buy it on amazon I’m pretty sure.

It was the Colorado season, right? If so, I think it was one of the best. So yes, I'd go for it! The idea of "fancy toast" still makes me smile.

10 hours ago, LeighLeigh said:

Did Tom say there will be big news next week? So will someone be put back into the competition?

I think the big news is that there'll be *two* eliminated chefs coming into the Last Chance Kitchen...right? At least, that's how I interpreted it. But it would be cool if one of them (Natalie or Brother) went back into the competition.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, tvfanatic13 said:

Once again Brother sandbagged. Purposely scaled the fish slowly so that his competitors had less time to cook. I used to like him. Now, not so much. 

Fortunately I don't think that's what hurt Kevin, so he really only sandbagged himself. While he was slowly scaling the fish, apparently he was just thinking that he was "getting" the other two, rather than doing some freakin' dish-planning!

• Love 4

Brother is playing the game. It’s a competition. I am still a fan of his.  

However, I think the former contestants don’t fit in anymore. It’s as if they are brought back to increase viewership for LCK. I would love another round of All-Stars instead. 

• Love 4

I was not a fan of either Carrie or Jim in their seasons. I didn't hate them or anything, they were just meh to me. The Fancy Toast thing was ridiculous. And with the snow camping challenge, her experience camping for like a billion more years than the others made it seem oddly unbalanced. Although the Hawaiian came up with the dish I most wanted to eat!

Jim just always seemed like a cannon fodder sad sack to me. Nothing he made ever appealed to me, and that fish stew (???) he made almost made me want to barf looking at it. The bacon in it looked raw. Yuck.

I'm on Team Natalie in this LCK, but she has such a long road to go.

I'll be very surprised if Brother doesn't make it back to the main competition.  He's won so many LCK rounds that I suspect that Tom wants to give him another chance if he can justify it.  I don't really like him but it sounded like he may have presented the best dishes.

I'll be very surprised if Brother doesn't make it back to the main competition.  He's won so many LCK rounds that I suspect that Tom wants to give him another chance if he can justify it.  I don't really like him but it sounded like he may have presented the best dishes.

I really can't tell. It seemed like the first course was a bit of a toss-up and Brother clearly won the second, but Nini has been REAL good on dessert and the fact that she's doing one reflects well on her. It will be interesting to see how it goes down.

I did appreciate how Justin was ultra deferential to Nini in order to make sure she was good with everything he did, given what went down between them*, and how both Brother and Nini seemed to do a good job of taking charge in the moment. 

*I actually didn't think Justin threw her under the bus at all based on what was shown of Judges Table, so I'm kind of side-eyeing Nini's version of events that she obviously told all the other LCKers. 

• Love 7

I will DIE of hyperbolic shock if anyone but Brother wins LCK. I don't think it will matter if he serves Cow Dung 3 Ways for his final plate. Tom will rave about his Dung Brulee and nobody will care what the other LCK failures think. (FYI I've loved Carrie since her kale salad and hope she gets another chance, maybe in an all star season.) This "season" of LCK was designed to bring back Brother. Everyone else, with the possible exception of Carrie, was cannon fodder. Just my opinion.

• Love 5

Last year, I spent way too much time studying Brother ‘s social media after “plastic-wrap-gate”. He would answer people directly on Facebook ( the Top Chef page, I think). He said that “ the producers did him dirty”. He said that the whole thing was misdirected. Tu, the other chef, went on various forms of social media to defend Brother. One thing about Brother, he is a fighter who is very smart. The negative reaction after the plastic wrap thing last year was harsh. His reputation was tarnished. I would not be surprised if a deal was made. What are your thoughts?

6 minutes ago, LeighLeigh said:

I would not be surprised if a deal was made. What are your thoughts?

I really doubt it. A lot of TC don’t watch LCK or follow along on Twitter and have no idea about the thing with the plastic wrap with Tu.

Also, Carrie won the first two rounds of LCK and Natalie the third so I don’t get this narrative that Brother is dominating. 

• Love 5

*I actually didn't think Justin threw her under the bus at all based on what was shown of Judges Table, so I'm kind of side-eyeing Nini's version of events that she obviously told all the other LCKers. 

My opinion also.  He just said it was chaos which was absolutely true.  Did she expect him to lie to Tom for her?

• Love 7
1 minute ago, mlp said:

My opinion also.  He just said it was chaos which was absolutely true.  Did she expect him to lie to Tom for her?

Judges Table is a lot longer than what we see but also Justin didn’t take any responsibility and he was in charge of expo and didn’t appear to do anything to solve the issue of food go to the wrong tables and he didn’t talk to the servers or Nini about it which was in stark contrast to how Adrienne and Michelle handled it and they didn’t have nearly the problem with the servers because both the front of house and expo were proactive with the servers constrasted with the fact that neither Nini or Justin were and Justin seemed to actively avoid talking to them which is a big part of that position. I think Nini should have gone home but Justin wasn’t good at his job in the kitchen.

• Love 8

Why wouldn't they let us see Tom's tasting of the third course?  I certainly didn't expect them to show us which chef was making it back into the competition; that we'll see next week but I would like to have seen the finished products (Nini's banana dessert and Brother's tuna dish) while their preparation was still fresh in my mind.  Usually we get to see just up to the point where Tom's going to announce the winner.  What's up, show?

• Love 3
1 minute ago, ProudMary said:

Why wouldn't they let us see Tom's tasting of the third course?  I certainly didn't expect them to show us which chef was making it back into the competition; that we'll see next week but I would like to have seen the finished products (Nini's banana dessert and Brother's tuna dish) while their preparation was still fresh in my mind.  Usually we get to see just up to the point where Tom's going to announce the winner.  What's up, show?

I imagine they will do what they normally do when someone comes back from LCK to the show and will have a segment on the actual show showing it for the people who don’t watch LCK.

• Love 1

Did anyone catch the blond chef (Kelsey? Not Adrienne) musing about how she could sabotage Brother's dish? OK, so I can imagine someone thinking that, but to say it out loud? On camera? Then she shrugged like she was kidding but damn, to say something that stupid on camera? She's the one, I think, who screamed at the servers to not talk in her kitchen (or something to that effect). She seems like the nastiest chef this season.

I should be sleeping! Why am I rehashing (pun intended) Top Chef?

• Love 2
8 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I assume they'll use this opportunity to plug LCK for the people who don't watch it already. That means we'll see that last round of presentation and judging inserted into next week's TC. (At least, I hope so!) I was rooting for Natalie so much and even though I wasn't a Brother fan before this, it might make TC a little more interesting if he joins in. He doesn't know anyone and that could be fun.

13 hours ago, hendersonrocks said:

*I actually didn't think Justin threw her under the bus at all based on what was shown of Judges Table, so I'm kind of side-eyeing Nini's version of events that she obviously told all the other LCKers. 

I also noticed that the peanut gallery seemed to have heard the story. But I agree that Justin didn't do anything wrong.

• Love 7

Kelsey may have seemed abrupt in the RW kitchen, but she runs her own restaurant here, and does a huge amount of catering, so she knows what she's doing in a kitchen, and how things should happen.       

I'm hoping Kelsey getting a harsh edit means she's going to be a finalist, they seem to do that a lot on this show.     I bet there's a lot of chit chat going on among the peanut gallery, and the editors just singled that out, and I'm sure that there were a lot of discussions about the same topic, of how a chef could screw up a dish.    

I don't think Justin said anything wrong either, the kitchen was total chaos, the restaurant space was chaos, and Nini picked the wrong dessert to prepare.     

• Love 6

I don't know about Nini throwing shade at Brother for doing his signature dish when she was doing a lemongrass porkchop from her heritage.  Which who would have guessed Natalie shared.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, rhys said:

Is it allowed to tell us (those of us who don't follow all years of LCK) what the deal was with plastic wrap& Brother?

My memory is that during one of the LCK rounds, the other contestant was looking for a roll of Glad (of course!) plastic wrap to tightly wrap something and couldn't find it and Brother had it right on his own station and never mentioned it. Sorry that I don't remember more specifics! But that was the gist, I think.

• Love 2

Seems unfair to Brother that he had five sous he didn't know so had no idea of their strengths. Nini, OTOH, knew her team well & could assign tasks accordingly. But then, fairness & Restaurant Wars don't go together anyhow.

1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Where are you guys watching this? I just see the first part on the Bravo site.

It's on the site--I always have to click around a bit before I find the latest episode...

Last Chance Kitchen E05 : Restaurant Wars Comes To LCK

In his intro TH, Pable said Nini and he were two of the strongest competitors. Pablo is delusional about his own ability.  All of his dishes have had execution problems.  He attributed it to being over ambitious but one of the qualities of a good chef is to understand what can be accomplished within the given time limit.

Last Chance Kitchen E06 : One More Win And You're In

• Love 8

Seems unfair to Brother that he had five sous he didn't know so had no idea of their strengths. Nini, OTOH, knew her team well & could assign tasks accordingly.

Returning chefs have the advantage of experience -- in Brother's case, a lot of LCK experience, specifically.  Plus, they're lucky to be back at all, so this doesn't bother me in the slightest.

In his intro TH, Pable said Nini and he were two of the strongest competitors. Pablo is delusional about his own ability.  All of his dishes have had execution problems. 

Ha, right?!  I did a double take when he said that.  I guess we're each the star of the show in our heads 😉

Edited by fenwic
  • Love 4
On 1/5/2019 at 11:30 AM, allirish47 said:

Seems unfair to Brother that he had five sous he didn't know so had no idea of their strengths. Nini, OTOH, knew her team well & could assign tasks accordingly. But then, fairness & Restaurant Wars don't go together anyhow.

Yes and no. The other chefs also know Nini and could potentially have issues working with her based on recent events. Nini was adamant she was happy working with any of them, but we all know that was a facade. While they know Brother, if they watched that season, it is likely that at least some would have better opinions of him based on what they saw on television (Brother) versus what they knew from experience (NiNi). You could also have some strategy going on here. They would know Brother's weaknesses based on the past season, but with Nini they knew her as someone who kept beating them and had a really bad Restaurant Wars challenge. 

So it could all even out in the end.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Rammchick said:

It seems to me that it's awfully soon for someone to go back into the competition from LCK.  Does this mean they'll start all over again after this week's elimination?

I know they brought whatshername and Leanne back pretty early last season. I know they started over with the LCK, but I don't remember the details. Specifically, I don't remember if whatshername got to go back to LCK after she lost again or was that just it?

I feel like the format is now broken up into two pieces:

1. First, to get a veteran or a promising "gone too soon" chef back into the competition.

Once that's done, then it's time for 2. LCK as usual.

I'm uncertain if it's more or less fair to the first chefs cut each season. But it's also just kinda ridiculous regardless, so I'll go with whatever format they choose.

• Love 4