Type keyword(s) to search

Season 16 (Kentucky) Last Chance Kitchen

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

Bringing back Brother Luck, Jim, and Carrie makes it super tough for the newly eliminated contestants. All three are strong and experienced competitors. 

I adore Carrie and the way she goes about things. I think Tom does as well.

It was kind of amusing the way Caitlin’s face dropped when Carrie walked in, the physical manifestation of her words that were essentially “Fuckin’ Carrie... shit just got real in here.”

And she was right to feel that way. 

• Love 8

It was kind of amusing the way Caitlin’s face dropped when Carrie walked in, the physical manifestation of her words that were essentially “Fuckin’ Carrie... shit just got real in here.”

And she was right to feel that way.

100%. Carrie is a formidable chef while also being an awesome human (or so it seems through my TV screen). I love her and always want to eat her food. 

• Love 11
8 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I didn't catch her pedigree, but I guess all competitive reality shows need cannon fodder.

I recall she was the one who has a restaurant only open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday brunch (for family balance). She seemed nice enough, but in over her head for this sort of competition. Even if the tomato biscuit thing had been perfect, I'm not sure it would have "impressed."

• Love 4
9 hours ago, dleighg said:

Even if the tomato biscuit thing had been perfect, I'm not sure it would have "impressed."

If executed properly anything can be impressive, they heaped praise on a deviled egg which is hardly original.

• Love 4
On 12/7/2018 at 9:22 PM, Sew Sumi said:

I thought Brother was going to take the win. Adios to Caitlin (I think that's her name). I didn't catch her pedigree, but I guess all competitive reality shows need cannon fodder.

I have a good friend named Caitlin who doesn’t watch the show, but before it premiered I told her there was Caitlin spelled her way in the cast. 

When I texted her Friday that her namesake got eliminated and then eliminated again she said, “Ah, she looked like a loser. Not all Caitlins can be winners.”  Heh.  

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, Totale said:

What's up with at least 2 of 4 ovens apparently not at the proper temperature? What high end oven company whose products it seems like I should avoid is sponsoring this year?

I don’t think they have ever had a high end oven sponsor, it used to be Kennore which suck but I don’t remember if they are still sponsorlng.

44 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

and a lot of Tom

LCK is a great look at Tom; it’s just him and he seems to REALLY enjoy it. Lots of smiling, lots of interactions with the cast especially as it goes along. You will enjoy it. 

• Love 12
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I don’t think they have ever had a high end oven sponsor, it used to be Kennore which suck but I don’t remember if they are still sponsorlng.

The winner gets a suite of GE Monogram, so I assume those are the appliances used in the TC Kitchens.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

The winner gets a suite of GE Monogram, so I assume those are the appliances used in the TC Kitchens.

I don’t think they do anymore, Padma didn’t mention it when they listed the prizes. This year it was $125k, feature in Food and Wine and spot at the festival, a prize package with no details given from Williams Sonoma and an appearance at BottleRocket.

Edited by biakbiak
3 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

and while those with a lot of bucks to spend may not think that Monogram is "high end," it's more high end than the GE Profile line (which is what I have, and I'm not poor, and am a home cook who cooks *a lot*). Monogram is probably aspirational for most of the viewing audience of the show, which is the point.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I don’t think they do anymore, Padma didn’t mention it when they listed the prizes. This year it was $125k, feature in Food and Wine and spot at the festival, a prize package with no details given from Williams Sonoma and an appearance at BottleRocket.

Trust me, I never would have come up with Monogram on my own. It was mentioned after the Food & Wine show and featured article. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Trust me, I never would have come up with Monogram on my own. It was mentioned after the Food & Wine show and featured article. 

On LCK? because I literally just watched the episode and it’s not mentioned after the Food And Wine thing that is when they mention the Williams Sonoma prize package nothing about GE. The Williams Sonoma thing was obviously edited in but no mention of GE on the main show.

Edited by biakbiak
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

I don't know about LCK or the prize package, but before the Quickfire on the main show Padma definitely mentioned they would be using Monogram ovens.

2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

LCK is a great look at Tom; it’s just him and he seems to REALLY enjoy it. Lots of smiling, lots of interactions with the cast especially as it goes along. You will enjoy it. 

I like the way he kids around with the chefs. It really is enjoyable!

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

but before the Quickfire on the main show Padma definitely mentioned they would be using Monogram ovens.

There was also a long add for them with Brian Malarkey. It was before the Elimination challenge not the quickfire that she mentioend Monogram. The suite of appliances was always weird because most of the chefs probably rent given where a lot of them live and where they are in their careers and Monogram isn’t commercial grade of they wanted to start a restaurant, Kenmore on the first few seasons was even more laughable.

It still hasn’t shown up on demand so I guess I will wait until a contestant I like gets eliminated and suffer through the app.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, biakbiak said:

There was also a long ad for them with Brian Malarkey.

There sure was.   He made roasted chicken with cauliflower hash in a frantic way that somehow necessitated the use of every single Monogram appliance to do it.  Monogram is definitely a sponsor.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Jim has a special place in my heart because food dorks gotta stick together. But I will be totally cool with Carrie coming back into the competition at a later date. Make it so, gal!

• Love 6

I liked all 3 cheftestants last season but I don't like when TC brings back previous competitors, whether they start the season in the game itself, or what they're doing here. I also don't like the concept of LCK at all. Once you have to PYKAG, that should be it until you're either chosen as a sous chef for the final &/or compete on an All-Stars' season. 

• Love 8

Maybe production screws with the ovens, changes the temps when the contetants aren’t looking. Otherwise, it is a very bad PR situation for the appliance companies.

23 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

I liked all 3 cheftestants last season but I don't like when TC brings back previous competitors, whether they start the season in the game itself, or what they're doing here. I also don't like the concept of LCK at all. Once you have to PYKAG, that should be it until you're either chosen as a sous chef for the final &/or compete on an All-Stars' season. 

Totally agree.

Edited by cooksdelight
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Maybe production screws with the ovens, changes the temps when the contetants aren’t looking. Otherwise, it is a very bad PR situation for the appliance companies.

I expect shit like that from Hell’s Kitchen but choose to hope they’re above it on TC.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, Totale said:

I expect shit like that from Hell’s Kitchen but choose to hope they’re above it on TC.

I can’t say who told me... but shenanigans happen on TC like every other cooking competition show. Not regarding oven, but other things we never get to see.

If anyone had trouble finding it OnDemand on my Xfinity its under Last Chance Kitchen rather than TOp Chef as if has been in the past. 

I figured Jim wasn’t long for this competition and so far I hope Carrie takes it all.

• Love 1

Aw, Jim. I liked him during his original season and hoped he'd get a second chance in some form, but I guess he's just not cut out for this kind of competition. And this way we get a better idea of what Natalie can do. #TeamCarrieTho

• Love 5

I actually don't like discernible lemon taste and think anything I can detect it in tastes like Lemon Pledge.  I knew Jim was done for, though, a vet had to be chopped and it's obvious the other two are the designated "beasts".

It took awhile for the first LCK to show up on Dish OnDemand too, but both episodes are there now. 

Poor Jim. I liked him in his season but I didn't think he was going to make it long here. Go Carrie! 

Tom totally copped out. "This is for young people." Translation: "I don't think I'd win either, with the ridiculous shit we throw at the cheftestants." I don't always watch LCK (I also hate the entire premise of bringing anyone back to compete with those who have not been cut) but when I do, it's mainly because it's nice to see his more human, fun side. 

• Love 3

Aw, Jim! JIM! So sad.

But go Carrie! Beat Brother's bum. Yeah, he's got a lot of flavor combinations, but I'm not mad at simple food executed perfectly. Especially since I know she's got some weirdo flavors in her knife roll as well.

• Love 2

So happy at tonight’s result. It was obvious to me just looking at the dishes who would go home before Tom tasted anything. Only one dish looked liked something I might throw together for breakfast. That was the loser without question.

i don’t know the returning former chefs from other seasons though so I am free of any preconceptions. I don’t know what “fancy toast” means.

I thought Natalie was robbed when she was sent packing and I hope she continues all the way to the end.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, rose711 said:

i don’t know the returning former chefs from other seasons though so I am free of any preconceptions. I don’t know what “fancy toast” means.

The very awesome Carrie made dishes during her season that she called things like "Fancy Toast". And as a viewer, or fellow contestant, or judge, you would look at it and think she's nuts for serving toast on Top Chef. And then she'd win. With Fancy Toast. 

She did make the least likely to win dish this time, but she did it in Carrie style with blue sausage.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, rose711 said:

So happy at tonight’s result. It was obvious to me just looking at the dishes who would go home before Tom tasted anything. Only one dish looked liked something I might throw together for breakfast. That was the loser without question.

I totally agree. Once I saw her spreading commercial jam (though it's the brand I buy, and quite like) on her toast, I knew she was .... toast. Who does that expecting to win? If she had made it through I would have totally called foul on Tom and his favorites (even though I quite like Carrie).

58 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Carrie style with blue sausage.

I missed it; what made the sausage blue?

• Love 3
On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 3:15 PM, seltzer3 said:

Lol at Tom eating the garnish.

Is that how you are supposed to cook  pork?  Carrie's pork looks underdone.

There is no way on Earth I would have eaten Carrie's pork.  I know times have changed and pork doesn't have to be cooked to well-done (except that's how I want it), but that was raw in the middle. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

The very awesome Carrie made dishes during her season that she called things like "Fancy Toast". And as a viewer, or fellow contestant, or judge, you would look at it and think she's nuts for serving toast on Top Chef. And then she'd win. With Fancy Toast. 

She did make the least likely to win dish this time, but she did it in Carrie style with blue sausage.

Do you recommend going back and watching her season? I can buy it on amazon I’m pretty sure.

49 minutes ago, dleighg said:

well that is *weird*.

My friend’s dad makes an a awesome venison and blueberry sausage that I look forward to getting whenever I visit! 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2