Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Morton's Fork

• Start Topic

Gus took out Malvo -- did NOT see that coming.  I was so sure Malvo was going to kill him.

And Lester died the way he lived: a selfish coward.  But what happened to the brother and his family?  I'm sure that the tape was enough to exonerate him, but I would have loved to see the fallout from his wrongful arrest.

Personally, I thought Molly's glove story was just a subtle way of telling him that she knew that he was a scumbag and everything he said was bullshit but she wasn't going to dignify saying it out loud.

I guess I'm glad Bill didn't die.  He was an okay guy, but he was a shitty cop and it was because of his incompetence that Malvo and Lester were able to murder so many people.  I did like that even he finally realized Lester's bullshit when he snapped "Just answer the question" in the interrogation.

RIP Agents Key and Peele.  I liked them.

Thank God Molly's family came out in one piece.  I was especially happy that Lou made it: I loved the scene of him and Greta sitting on the porch with shotguns.

• Love 3

The thing that really stood out for me in this particular episode was what a good actor Bob Odenkirk is - I was blown away by his monologue.

Agree.

I really liked the way Lester met his demise, because it was so in-character. Lester (despite New Cocky Lester being a facade that worked for him for a while) was a character who lived in fear. To die because he was running away in fear was a perfect ending for him.

• Love 2
(edited)

I was wondering the same thing. Gus shot an unarmed man sitting in a chair with a broken leg. I can only assume the report will say that Malvo was armed. I actually thought Gus was going to put a gun in Malvo's hand after he shot him.

I absolutely disagree that Gus is a bad guy based on his actions...  

The answer to the riddle was that Gus can recognize a dangerous predator, a guy with skills and resources to slide by two FBI agents and personally kill 22 mobsters in Fargo, have a deep and complicated (reverend Lorne) backstory at the ready, and control all those with whom he interacts.  Gus, who knows, if this guys worms himself free (escape, legal maneuvering, whatever) will kill his entire family.  He recognizes that Lorne has better than average chances to be successful for all the above.  His decision to kill Malvo transcended his reliance on protection from the legal system or the gang of idiot cops/FBI agents he would have to entrust.  I think I would have done the same thing.

Even Malvo's attitude with Gus was dismissive, as if escaping his current predicament was a foregone conclusion.  His dying response to Gus was of surprise that Gus had the cajones to pull the trigger.  I am not sure if it was also rage because he underestimated Gus or happiness that he forced Gus to commit a cold blooded "murder".

As for Gus not getting charged - I am sure that Malvo was dangerous enough that the police would have assumed that he acted in self defense, and actually, he did...

I also love that Malvo was done in by a trap of his own invention.  Bold Lester was Malvo's creation - a confident and bolder Lester conceived and play acted  the phone call to the police to set the "trap" (which was a bear trap).  Pretty good.

Edited by ChipBach
  • Love 8
(edited)

Perhaps Gus wasn't legally justified, although Malvo did have a knife, but it's doubtful that with the body count Lorne left behind he'd be prosecuted by local police or feds, let alone be convicted by a small town jury.

I have no problem buying that he'd evade prosecution, but would they really give him a citation?

Edited by alynch
  • Love 1
(edited)

I was thinking that the cabin was the one that Stavros sent his son and body guard to to hide out.  Frankly I didn't pay close enough attention to be able to determine if it was or not but it was something I've been wondering about.  I'm pretty sure that the used car salesman was killed.  I don't see why Malvo would care if the guy had a kid or not.  There was plenty of time for the body and car to be disposed of.

I think my favorite part of the episode was Lou telling Molly about the creepy guy that had been in the restaurant (Malvo) and his camping out on the porch with his shot gun.  

I knew as soon as Lester turned on to the frozen lake that he'd fall thru.  

This hasn't been my favorite show and I'm still having problems figuring out why the critics love it so much but I made thru to the conclusion.  Not sure whether I'll watch the next incarnation, I'll play it by ear.

Edited by Linderhill
  • Love 2
(edited)

Good point about the Malvo having time to dispose of the salesman and that car. I just cannot see him leaving him alive after he witnessed him killing two FBI agents.

Bill seemed stunned when Key, the FBI agent, prompted him to demand Lester answer his question. I think it was only in that moment that Bill came to the realization that Lester was actually guilty. I don't get how as a cop who should have seen it all that Bill remained so blind until then.

I would have liked to have seen Lester's sister-in-law's reaction when the truth about Lester came out and her husband was released from jail.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1

Gus can go to hell too.  I understand him wanting to kill Malvo but his not reporting it got those 2 FBI agents (and probably that car guy) killed.

I'm with you there. Not satisfying at all to me. Also, Gus can't stand the idea of Greta going to another funeral so he forbids his wife to do her job and instead runs off on his own with no backup to kill a dangerous man, risking his own life ten-fold?? And no way would he get a bravery citation. He was a mailman doing vigilante justice who neglected to report what he knew to be true, which could have saved lives (including his own -- the result was pure luck).

Another problem I had is secretly recorded conversations are probably my least favorite plot device in existence, so I would've liked Lester to get brought down by something a lot less flukey.

I think in this case it's okay, since it's actually standard business for hitmen to do exactly that. It protects them from their customers.

I felt terrible for Molly. She didn't look at all pleased with the news of Lester's demise. She definitely wanted him punished, he got off way too easy.

I hope they do another season and that Molly's still around. And also that they have other female characters who aren't just victims-of-the-week.

• Love 4

I kept expecting to have the bodies show up at the place Malvo was hiding.  Then I realized the second time I watched it is that was a vacation cabin.  Lots are around Wisconsin and MN and are empty until Memorial Day.

The music in this series was wonderful.  Sadly, it probably won't be acknowledged for any awards but I almost went back to Laura's Theme.

I thought the red coat was symbolic - He was a marked man both times but Linda took the hit the first time.  The red coat could have meant that he never really changed - same old Lester.

I think Gus got off because it was a small community and because he could have said Malvo moved  and he thought he had a gun.  Acceptable shooting considering  they had a serial killer on their hands.

I have no problem buying that he'd evade prosecution, but would they really give him a citation?

Malvo just killed 2 FBI agents and an innocent woman. Plus three people in Las Vegas a couple of days before. That's 6 people in less than a week. And they now know that he killed the old Chief. And was responsible for the Fargo Syndicate Massacre, which is a massive investigation that the FBI is going to be able to close now.

Considering just how dangerous Malvo was, I have no problems seeing Gus receiving a commendation. We see police officers in the news receiving the full support of their Force when they do horribly awful shit, after all. Why would it be so surprising to see them thrown their support behind former cop Gus?

Besides, the one issuing the commendation is probably Bill.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I just don't see a mailman (former cop or no) getting a bravery citation for laying in wait to kill a man, however evil and dangerous that man was. Especially when he intentionally kept his knowledge of said dangerous man's whereabouts from the police. Especially when the FBI was involved. His actions aren't just some small thing in a tiny town that nobody else would hear about.

I can easily see him getting off with no charges with a decent attorney. Just not a bravery citation 14 days later.

• Love 3

I can easily see him getting off with no charges with a decent attorney. Just not a bravery citation 14 days later.

I'm guessing Bill had some sort of authority regarding charges and citations for bravery, and that his last official acts as Chief were to clear Gus and reward him.

Was it implied that the massacre from the '70s that Lou experienced was also Malvo?

• Love 1

I did not see Gus as the one to get Malvo.  Neither did Malvo. It is because Malvo, of course, would dismiss Gus, that Gus was able to kill him.  Molly and any other cop would start trying to handcuff him and go through "procedures" which at the least would give Malvo time to kill a few more people, likely Molly if she was involved too.  And Malvo had already come after Gretta once.  Gus realized he was the one that had to kill Malvo to in many ways save his family and others from Malvo killing and getting away again.

Lester seems at least one of the people who was facing Morton's Fork.  With both wives killed, and the plane ticket, which he was never succesfully able to remove from the pocket of his orange coat Linda was wearing when she got killed, although never shown but it would have had his name on I am guessing or why was he trying so hard to remove it from her pocket and keep it from the police, there was no way he was going to be able to extracate himself from this murder. 

And also on another level, being the target of Malvo, he obviously can't hang with the police because Molly wants to investigate him for the deaths of his two wives.

It is interesting that Malvo underestimated both Gus, and Lester.  In the killing of his first wife, Lester was

practising to have Malvo take the blame.  And he sent Linda to her death using Malvo for that. 

Then he set the bear trap, which Malvo walked into.  And in spite of Malvo's doctor's bag, and being able to set his compound fracture by himself, he looked messed up enough that he had to be getting real medical treatment sometime soon if he wasn't going to loose that leg.  Having his leg chewed up  like it was, with the pain/drugs messing up his attention and thought processes etc., made it easier for Gus to be unobserved and then be successful killing Malvo.

Considering Lester only bought one ticket, what would he have done if with Linda if Malvo hadn't killed her?

In the end, when Lester was being chased, he had a new looking redder looking coat on compared to his old orange coat that probably was still in the police evidence storage.

Molly and Gus both seemed completely satisfied with the way things ended and their parts in it, Gus facing his fears to protect his family, and Molly with being the next police chief.  Although I was on the edge of my seat through most of the episode, there was part of me near the end that was thinking "that's all" or similar.  However, the last scene wtih Greta, pregnant Molly, and Gus kind of made me reconciled to the way things turned out.

There are still plenty of loose ends that could come up as part of next season.  Like what did happen to money that was reburied in the snow.  Or what is Chaz going to do when he gets out of jail.  Or what about Hess's widow and kids or the deaf guy etc.  So it will be interesting if anything/anyone from this season end up being some kind of story arc for next season.

• Love 1

Right before Gus shot Malvo, did he say "I figured out your riddle?" What riddle was he talking to? I don't remember Malvo ever asking him a riddle. What am I forgetting? 

"Lester didn't get it.  He was never anything but a very small little man, even when he found his bravado, it was nothing more than a flimsy shell around his smallness."

Wilson Cat, your statements above are just lovely. thanks.

Okay, folks, I asked this one already and still now answer. Whose house was Malvo hiding out in? He didn't own a house in this town, did he?

Marge Gunderson got her man but they didn't extend that honor to Molly.  I guess I feel cheated because I just don’t like Gus.  Still, all’s well that ends well.

Catherinewriter, someone above said the house looked more like a cabin on a lake.  Those are ALL OVER northern Minnesota and would be empty during the winter.  It would be easy for Malvo to break into a cabin on Lake Bemidji and hole up there.

I am not convinced that Gus calling Molly would have saved the FBI agents. All the cops were on checking out the roads out of town and the FBI back up was still on the way. 

SimoneS, Malvo had called the FBI as one of the two stupid agents, and cancelled the back up.  And I'm not convinced Gus could have saved those agents either.

In the end, when Lester was being chased, he had a new looking redder looking coat on compared to his old orange coat that probably was still in the police evidence storage.

I'm with Magic on this one. I think those are generic hunting jackets, available everywhere.  They wouldn't have returned the murder jacket to Lester with the hole in the hood and blood and brain matter in there as well.  GROSS

Marge Gunderson didn't fail to prevent Jean Lundegaard's death because Norm asked her not to drive around Big Bear Lake looking for a tan Ciera, you know?

Tan Ciera!  Tan Ciera!  But Tara, it's WHITE Bear Lake, not Big Bear Lake.  I know this for a fact because I was born and raised in White Bear Lake, Minnesota, and the movie was a total shoutout to me for that reason.

(edited)

Loved the whole series even thought I thought the killing of Malvo was a little anticlimactic. I know the show's creators didn't want some kind of big gun fight, but with so much tension built up in every episode, that final scene with Malvo felt a little too clean cut.

Even some of Malvo's witty evil banter could have added to the scene.

Still, the rest was great and Lester falling through the ice was fitting.

Edited by awp69
  • Love 1
(edited)

Personally, I loved that Lester met his end very nearly literally swallowed up by his own cowardice. He had run as far as he could... his coward's hubris and self preservation instict had taken him as far as possible... and it ate him up. I mean, I LOVED it.

I also liked that Gus is the one who took Malvo down. In this episode, you have Molly validated for a whole season's worth of being the only person in the room with a clue, and then Gus taking down Malvo driven by courage he could only get from the idea that something bad might happen to Greta and, more importantly, Molly. Molly is both recognized for the rock star she is, and truly loved by the man she married after years of seemingly thinking she'd never get that kind of happiness. To me, it's a win-win for Molly all the way around.

Also, it's been said before that someone could only take down Malvo if he wasn't expecting it. He would expect the police, he would expect Lester... he wouldn't expect Gus. He wrote Gus off as a coward already, someone who wouldn't try to do what really needed to be done.

And how cute was Lou? I loved Keith Carradine in this episode. Gus: "Protect our girl." Lou, with a steely, determined look and a swig of coffee: "Oh, I mean to." And he meant it. Just LOVED that.

Overall, I was very satisfied with how things ended (despite being bummed about Budge and Pepper).

Edited by Nutjob
  • Love 3

Personally, I loved that Lester met his end very nearly literally swallowed up by his own cowardice. He had run as far as he could... his coward's hubris and self preservation instict had taken him as far as possible... and it ate him up. I mean, I LOVED it.

I also liked that Gus is the one who took Malvo down. In this episode, you have Molly validated for a whole season's worth of being the only person in the room with a clue, and then Gus taking down Malvo driven by courage he could only get from the idea that something bad might happen to Greta and, more importantly, Molly. 

I totally agree with your first paragraph (and tried to say much the same thing myself), and have a small quibble with your second paragraph.

I don't think Gus' courage came only from protecting Greta and Molly. I think it also came from his self-recrimination over letting Malvo go at the traffic stop way back in the beginning. In a real way, all the destruction that followed was his fault. If redemption for that was available, it could only come to him by his being the guy that took Malvo down. I think that was very much on his mind.

• Love 3

Also, Gus can't stand the idea of Greta going to another funeral so he forbids his wife to do her job and instead runs off on his own with no backup to kill a dangerous man, risking his own life ten-fold??

I hope they do another season and that Molly's still around. And also that they have other female characters who aren't just victims-of-the-week.

Thank you for pointing this out. By no means is this the only show guilty of sexist stuff like this. However, Molly was better written than most female characters on TV and it rankled me that she didn't get her moment like Marge Gunderson did in the movie. Why go to all the trouble of setting up the story of a female character who is quietly doing her job better than most around her in a largely male setting and then make her husband insist on saving the day?

(edited)

Milburn Stone, I don't agree that any of Malvo's damage was Gus' fault. Yes, Gus was wrong to let Malvo go, but I am convinced that Gus saved his life because Malvo would have killed the unprepared and incompetent Gus if he had not let him go.  

SimoneS, Malvo had called the FBI as one of the two stupid agents, and cancelled the back up.  And I'm not convinced Gus could have saved those agents either.

I totally missed that scene. Thanks for the info,. Now I am even more sure that Gus calling for help would not have saved the FBI agents.

Edited by SimoneS

Gus felt responsible for all the damage that Malvo did, but I don't agree that any of it was his fault. Yes, Gus was wrong to let Malvo go, but I am convinced that Gus saved his life because Malvo would have killed the unprepared and incompetent Gus if he had not let him go.

We don't disagree. I'm talking about how Gus feels, and his belief about what he must do to set himself right with the universe. Not whether he actually caused the mayhem that followed the traffic stop. (If I could rewrite my post, I'd change the phrase "in a real way" to "it can be argued that," or something along those lines.)

• Love 2

Bill seemed stunned when Key, the FBI agent, prompted him to demand Lester answer his question. I think it was only in that moment that Bill came to the realization that Lester was actually guilty. I don't get how as a cop who should have seen it all that Bill remained so blind until then.

Remember that Bill and Lester grew up together.  Bill wasn't seeing Lester-the-Suspect; he was seeing Lester-the-Wimp (who fainted in school 'cause a girl got her monthly in gym class!)

• Love 1

Thank you for pointing this out. By no means is this the only show guilty of sexist stuff like this. However, Molly was better written than most female characters on TV and it rankled me that she didn't get her moment like Marge Gunderson did in the movie. Why go to all the trouble of setting up the story of a female character who is quietly doing her job better than most around her in a largely male setting and then make her husband insist on saving the day?

I don't see it as her-husband-comes-to-save-the-day at all: given that Molly is established as actually competent and Gus is a mailman, that would have been absolutely the expected thing, and also what happens in the movie. Hawley talks about this a bit in his Sepinwall interview:

Whether you think it consciously or not, you assume that the events of the show will play out similarly to the events of the movie. The point of sidelining her was to give her that moment where she's sitting there on the sidelines and decides she can't do that, so she picks up her stuff and goes to her car, at which point we're all very worried that she's going to walk into a woodchipper moment. And then she doesn't, but it was a way for me, in terms of telling the whole story and not just Molly's story, to set up an ending that felt both unpredictable and inevitable.

• Love 2

I've been critical of this show for several things, the gratuitous violence and some style issues, but the finale redeemed everything for me.  I loved the surprise of Gus being the one to finish Malvo and Molly stepping back for the same reason that Gus backed away from Malvo the first time.  Both Gus and Molly have plenty of courage but their children come first.  Molly would not only be taking herself into the line of fire, she would have been forced to face Malvo with her baby as an unwanted shield. 

I thought the whole story of that little family was really original and well done. I'll be back for the next season if they're still going to be part of it 

• Love 1

Molly would not only be taking herself into the line of fire, she would have been forced to face Malvo with her baby as an unwanted shield.

Normally, I would have been all over the writers for having a man be so insistent that his wife stay out of the fray, but in this case Gus was right, even if he was thinking about the wrong child. Molly's job will always put her in danger, but in this case their baby was in direct danger as well, and she should have stayed behind.

• Love 4

i hated the fact that molly didn't get to do anything in this finale. i at least wanted her to be the one to take down lester, if not malvo.

lester was her main thing from the beginning, and I SO wanted her to be the one who puts the cuffs on him as he's dragged away kicking and screaming like bill macy in the movie. and also, seeing lester get caught would have been so much more satisfying to me than just seeing him die like that. he should have had to face up to everything that he did. i didn't like that ending for him.

i was very annoyed that she just pretty much did as gus told her to while he gets to become the hero and even gives her the tapes. the whole thing was her case and she didn't get to do anything! i cared a lot less about seeing gus get redeemed than for her to be the one who triumphs. everyone already knew she was right in the last episode anyway.

i thought she was completely shortchanged and it made me mad.

• Love 2

I didn't think Lester was fleeing in fear. When he drove up on that wall of cops, I thought he did what he'd been doing for the whole past year of his life (and it worked out for him a bunch of times)  I took it that he went off in the opposite direction, with the idea that if he could just get past this little speed bump, he'd figure a way to get away.   That's what he did every time he was in a tight spot--he never had a big picture plan--he would just make a leap, and if he made it, he'd figure out the next step.   This time it didn't work out, and I know it was probably spring so the ice was thinner and melting, but I love the idea that the weak spot he fell through was the one they dug with the auger in a previous episode.   That would be so fitting.

Somehow I have an image of Lester swimming under the ice looking for a spot to surface, as he runs out of air.    When they called Molly, they had not found his body yet, so who knows?

• Love 2

I don't agree that any of Malvo's damage was Gus' fault. Yes, Gus was wrong to let Malvo go, but I am convinced that Gus saved his life because Malvo would have killed the unprepared and incompetent Gus if he had not let him go.

So this is sort of a Morton's Fork, right? If Gus had refused to let Malvo go at that first traffic stop, Gus would have been dead, and Gus was ultimately the one to kill Malvo when nobody else could or would.

Lester had a two week head start and only ended up in Montana? Why not someplace further?

I assumed he made the entire trip by snowmobile, which is wonderfully funny justice (in addition to him being swallowed whole by the earth).
  • Love 1

Remember that Bill and Lester grew up together.  Bill wasn't seeing Lester-the-Suspect; he was seeing Lester-the-Wimp (who fainted in school 'cause a girl got her monthly in gym class!)

You make a good point. I had forgotten that Bill and Lester had that long connection.

So this is sort of a Morton's Fork, right? If Gus had refused to let Malvo go at that first traffic stop, Gus would have been dead, and Gus was ultimately the one to kill Malvo when nobody else could or would.

This did not occur to me, but I think that you are on to something here.

(edited)

Reading Alan Sepinwell's interview with Hawley (and other reports) revealed lots of intention.  Among these:  Lester did buy and print out a separate ticket for Linda.  Malvo was not involved in the Sioux Falls crimes mentioned by Lou.  Malvo was human (and it was BBT's idea to have that last death throe).  The final scene between Malvo and Mr. Wrench was one of the rare changes to the script which had been complete for many weeks prior to the first frame being filmed.  As they were writing the script, they thought it would be Molly who finally confronted Malvo, but changed their minds as having Gus redeem himself was more important to the central theme of good overcoming evil.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/fargo-creator-noah-hawley-talks-season-1-and-the-possibility-of-season-2/single-page

While I accept his intentions, my hermeneutical reading says he went way too far with the mystical and unexplained occurrences - especially the fishes.  

I am fine with Gus being made a hero.  First, Malvo needed killing.  Second, every LE agency who touched this case massively screwed-up.  None of them would want anything to do with a criminal trial which would expose it all in defense of Gus - a thoroughly likeable guy.  Third, communities have a need for "heroes" and a hero story - especially for something this epic and horrible.  

Was I alone in rolling my eyes when yet another gun failed as it was about to be used against Malvo?

The reason I am dead certain that Gus would have saved the FBI agents' lives is that for once, a freaking cavalry would have descended upon that cabin.  Said cavalry largely composed of competent Duluth and State LE.  It was a misstep to not have shown us Molly contacting them to create the alert regarding Malvo.  Now, would the agents have been killed in an en masse takedown of Malvo?  Always possible - but that would not be on Gus and his prideful and fearful silence.

I am a little disappointed with how Lou's reveal to Molly about having met Malvo went down.  He was far too sanguine, in my opinion.  His failure to immediately see the newer  Malvo in that older picture is almost stupefying to me,  A definite misstep.  Then, he becomes Papa Bear and hauls bootay with super-duper intensity.  To me, this whole scene was poorly executed.

I did enjoy Lou telling Lester that use of the bathroom was free with the meal.  Such a Midwest thing!  This has happened to me several times in that region.  Classic throwaway/small touch that enriched this whole enterprise.

Open question:  Can anyone recall a character who was clearly to the dark side who did not meet a Malvonian end, excepting Mr. Wrench and Stavros?  Those two sure weren't looking at much of a life, eh?

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 1

Did Lester's brother get out of jail? I missed this if it happened.

He had many chances to throw his glove out the window throughout the series and each time his pride got in the way.

All he had to do was tell the truth about his meeting with Malvo in the ER, and he would have plausibly been able to blame his wife's murder on Malvo too. But his pride made him lie about the whole thing, and put Molly on the scent.

• Love 1
The reason I am dead certain that Gus would have saved the FBI agents' lives is that for once, a freaking cavalry would have descended upon that cabin.  Said cavalry largely composed of competent Duluth and State LE.

Duluth is three hours away from Bemidji.  They wouldn't have been involved.  I don't agree that Gus's decision to not call in Malvo certainly cost Key & Peele their lives.  There was certainly the potential of that outcome but Malvo left that cabin pretty soon after Gus arrived.  It was in the middle of nowhere.  He could have likely taken a few routes to get into town.  All it would have certainly done is draw the people who were out around town looking for him towards a cabin where he wasn't and where he would likely never return given the fact that he had a police blotter.  He'd know his cabin would be surrounded. 

The only additional info Gus had is where Malvo was for a few brief minutes.  He didn't know where he was going.  All the cops already knew Malvo was in the vicinity and likely after Lester. 

Gus was stuck with two bad choices in his mind.  One was calling in the cops and risk Malvo shooting his way out. The other was taking care of it himself. 

I understand wishing Molly would have taken Malvo down but narratively, I think this was the best way to achieve the ending they did.  Molly would have been too "by-the-book" in taking down a man who had an uncanny ability to roll over everyone in his way.  He had to be put down.  Molly likely wouldn't have chosen that option.  That's not her style.  Gus, who carries guilt about how he let Malvo go, would.  But it's not an easy solution or one that I think makes either of them super happy.   Gus may have gotten away with getting rid of Malvo the way he did and even received a commendation for it but neither one of them on the couch seemed overly thrilled with it.  They knew it probably wasn't "right" in the legal, moral and ethical way even if they felt it was their only choice. 

Molly had to make a difficult choice between doing what her husband asked of her for their family and her job.  She ultimately chose her job which I think Gus knew would happen deep down. 

Bill had to face the choice of leaving a job he had spent his life doing or continue in it and face just how much his ideal world had changed. 

Lester had the choice to keep trying to survive on his own or work with the police for his own protection. 

And that's why I accept some of the choices Fargo made more easily than had it happened on another show.  I felt it worked with the theme of the episode and the story of the series. 

• Love 4

Duluth PD would have been involved because 1) They have a long-term relationship with BPD and would make a big effort to help with the murder of the BPD Chief, 2) One of their very own was murdered by Malvo, 3) They really blew it by releasing Malvo as they did.  They very much owed BPD significant back-up.

I love that this show is allowing all of us the chance at debating these nuances.  

(edited)

Duluth is three hours away from Bemidji. They wouldn't have been involved. I don't agree that Gus's decision to not call in Malvo certainly cost Key & Peele their lives. There was certainly the potential of that outcome but Malvo left that cabin pretty soon after Gus arrived. It was in the middle of nowhere. He could have likely taken a few routes to get into town. All it would have certainly done is draw the people who were out around town looking for him towards a cabin where he wasn't and where he would likely never return given the fact that he had a police blotter. He'd know his cabin would be surrounded.

Ooo!! Good point! Which reminds me: I wanted Gus to call in the red BMW, but that didn't last very long either.

So the Sudanese guy in the earlier episode was just a red herring? Or was it to show more about Bill's life and character?

Gus can't stand the idea of Greta going to another funeral so he forbids his wife to do her job and instead runs off on his own with no backup to kill a dangerous man, risking his own life ten-fold?? And no way would he get a bravery citation.

I know, right? But maybe he just said that because he knew it would make her not go, and his real motive was just to protect her. And although the citation for bravery might not have happened in a less Keystone Cops-ish environment, to be fair, he really did have to brave to lay in wait for the likes of Malvo, the embodiment of evil and the killer of husbands of pregnant women. Edited by shapeshifter

I was wondering if he had reversed organs in his body.

He has a sestra named Helena. Anyway, awesome finale for an awesome season. When Gus was shooting Malvo, I was yelling "Head shot!" I can't count the number of times I muttered "oh, fuck" while watching this episode.

Question: why was the ginger ale served with no ice? A MN thing?

• Love 1

I think Molly's moment of triumph came in the penultimate episode when the FBI guys praised her work.  Then in the finale it was backed up with her boss admitting she had twice the brains he had and handing his job over to her.  I think it's the detective work that Molly is all about.  Her satisfaction comes from figuring out who the bad guy is, she doesn't have to be the one to actually point her gun and shoot him.  The ending with "scared of spiders," Gus getting a citation for bravery and Molly getting promoted to  police chief was perfect for me.

Molly is one of the best female characters I've seen in years.  I was getting heartily sick of the blood thirsty, vengeful heroines who seemed to be created by writers who thought "strong woman," meant a woman who acted like a man.

• Love 8
(edited)

And Malvo had already come after Gretta once.  Gus realized he was the one that had to kill Malvo to in many ways save his family and others from Malvo killing and getting away again.

I must have missed this when I skipped part of an episode...when did Malvo come after Greta?

I really liked the end shot with Molly, Greta and Gus together on the couch and Molly with her arm around Greta. Loved Lou protecting his new granddaughter.

Edited by LisaM
  • Love 2

I just don't see a mailman (former cop or no) getting a bravery citation for laying in wait to kill a man, however evil and dangerous that man was. Especially when he intentionally kept his knowledge of said dangerous man's whereabouts from the police. Especially when the FBI was involved. His actions aren't just some small thing in a tiny town that nobody else would hear about.

It would have been easy enough for Gus to have thrown Malvo's pistol on his lap before he called the cops.  I don't remember seeing it next to the briefcase when Molly listened to the tapes, maybe that's how he found out the tapes existed in the first place.  Either way, if they thought a retired cop found Malvo, checked out his hideout, and when confronted by a dangerous killer, shot him, yeah, he'd get a citation anywhere...

Right before Gus shot Malvo, did he say "I figured out your riddle?" What riddle was he talking to? I don't remember Malvo ever asking him a riddle. What am I forgetting? 

Gus also said "the green thing" (or something like that - it was a bit imperceptible on the rewatch).  Malvo asked Gus when the cops thought he was a preacher and let him loose, "why can humans see so many shades of green".  Molly answered it later at the diner.

We don't disagree. I'm talking about how Gus feels, and his belief about what he must do to set himself right with the universe. Not whether he actually caused the mayhem that followed the traffic stop. (If I could rewrite my post, I'd change the phrase "in a real way" to "it can be argued that," or something along those lines.)

Remember Gus DID redeem himself, followed up and arrested Malvo.  His Lieutenant and Chief Bill cut Malvo loose even AFTER seeing the picture of him from the security camera.  I don't think we can blame Gus for all the following violence between the stop and his subsequent arrest.  (I don't think anyone actually was killed in between the traffic stop and the subsequent arrest except the dog)

I can't hang any of the rest on Gus - he tried to arrest the guy and was denied based on lack of evidence.

I must have missed this when I skipped part of an episode...when did Malvo come after Greta?

I really liked the end shot with Molly, Greta and Gus together on the couch and Molly with her arm around Greta. Loved Lou protecting his new granddaughter.

Malvo was casing out Gus' apartment and told the neighborhood watch guy he knew what floor Gus lived on and that he had no security system.  Basically, I know where to go, how to get in, and do whatever evil thing I wanted to do.  The threat to Greta was implied in the conversation...

• Love 2

I think the "Malvo went after Greta" thing is when Malvo followed Gus home and had the confrontation with the neighborhood watch guy. Malvo easily found out where Gus lived before, and he didn't want to put his whole family in danger by letting Malvo live.

The opening scene, with its long, slow pan of the snow, discarded snow mobile and then focus on the crackled ice and  hole made me that that would be the closing shot. Wasn't disappointed that we got the family on the couch instead. Am avidly hoping that there's more "Fargo" in our futures-- even if they chose not to bring back any of the current Cast and story lines , action could easily be set in a different town with Fargo as a minor connection (as it was in this series). My preference would be more Molly et al--either as the main arc or at least a prominent sub plot. Hell, they could tell the story of Sioux Falls--as it occurred-- and then skip to present time and have Molly solve it!

• Love 1

I was absolutely tickled that Lester took off and got swallowed up by the ice. I had a premonition that he was going to screw himself over at the end and I was not disappointed. 

One thing I thought was interesting was that Malvo did turn out to be human, not supernatural which is even scarier. He wasn't the devil, he's just an evil human being. I was wondering how he managed to get all the stuff to fix his own broken leg (from the dental office perhaps?) He was a pretty smart cookie. 

I wasn't bothered at all about Gus shooting Malvo. It went full circle because at the very beginning, he let him off because he was worried about his daughter and then he DIDN"T let him off because he was worried about his daughter (and child to be and his wife). 

LOVED loved Carradine on the porch with his gun and his Papa Bear instincts about his granddaughter and then when she joined him. . . awesome. 

• Love 2
(edited)

No, I did not like the show's choice of who got to wipe Malvo from the face of the earth.  Nor do I believe that Pepper and Budge would have been killed anyway had Gus phoned in as soon as he saw the red BMW.  Malvo was still in his red BMW when he left the house.  He would have been intercepted or at least followed on the road before he got to the car dealership and changed cars.  That would have changed everything that followed after.

I also don't buy that Malvo, after the bear trap encounter (loved that!), would have been able to walk out of the house and drive his car away, but didn't attempt to finish off Lester before he left.

Here's my revised season finale:  

Outside Malvo's cabin, Gus calls in the red BMW and then begs Molly not to leave the station.  Molly kindly reminds him that she can't desert her job responsibilities when things get ugly.  Cops converge on the road that Malvo took.  Budge and Pepper leave their post at Lester's to join the chase, because they still aren't very smart.  Malvo manages to escape after a fabulous car chase/gun battle that leaves all the cop cars out of commission.  Malvo goes to Lester's and the same things happen except Malvo removes the bear trap and then blasts into the room where Lester is hiding.  They're both out of bullets.  A death struggle ensues.  Malvo crushes Lester's skull with the bear trap and takes the bear trap with him.

In the meantime at the police station, Molly learns that all the cop and FBI cars are disabled, and she sets out to Lester's.  She encounters Malvo leaving the house.  She blocks his car in the driveway with her car.  She and Malvo stand in the driveway and assess each other and talk.  Molly tells Malvo he is under arrest and he smirks.  He tells her Lester is dead.  Malvo realizes that this is the one person who always suspected what he was and what he did and won't give up until he's put away.  As Malvo is out of bullets and soon out of conversation, he suddenly throws the bear trap at Molly, who is injured but not badly and falls to the ground.  She manages to pull her gun and wing Malvo in the side as she falls, so he decides that between his leg and the side injuries, he's not in good shape to kill her and better just steal her car.  

But Gus has also driven over to Lester's because he heard about Malvo's escape.  He learns after stopping by the station and finally getting whatsherface to unlock the door that Molly has gone to Lester's.  He arrives at the house just after Malvo has left.  He finds Molly laying in the driveway, a bit injured but more shocked from the encounter with evil-incarnate Malvo, and still determined to get him.  Gus insists on taking her to the hospital and and he calls in the Malvo encounter.  While they're at the hospital, where Molly is examined and it's declared that she and the baby will both be fine, Malvo finds a doctor's house.  Malvo takes the doctor's family hostage (because he doesn't need guns to scare and hurt people) and forces the doctor to fix him up.  Since the doctor does an excellent job bandaging him, Malvo decides to spare their lives as a tip for services well rendered.  But he has the usual creepy conversation with the doctor first.

Now Malvo's going to get revenge on Molly and her family.  He finds out through his usual deviousness where she lives.  Malvo parks the car down the street, and goes limping slowly toward the house.  Lou sees him coming, and he and Greta immediately start blasting away at Malvo before he can reach the house.  Malvo is surprised to encounter this resistance from the rubes, and retreats to his car to form a new strategy.  Then Gus and Molly come burning rubber in their car directly from the hospital, as they suspect that Malvo wouldn't leave town before refocusing his malevolence on Molly.  Both Gus and Molly fire their guns at Malvo, who gets into his car and drives off.  A chase ensues.  Gus is injured and Molly takes over the driving.  It ends when Malvo's car gets stuck near a frozen-over lake.  He runs out over the lake.  Molly chases him, but she knows the local conditions and knows where to stop.  Malvo turns to face her and they have one last encounter.  At the sound of ice cracking, the smirk fades from Malvo's face.  They both know what's going to happen.  Malvo is swallowed up by the ice.  Molly and Gus phone it in and go home.  The last scene in front of the TV is the same, except that it's Molly who's received the citation for bravery, as well as being Sheriff.  The bear trap is saved, cleaned up and hung in the police station as a reminder of the cops' duty to protect.  The End.

(yes I have way too much free time)

Edited by EyesGlazed
  • Love 1

Molly is one of the best female characters I've seen in years.  I was getting heartily sick of the blood thirsty, vengeful heroines who seemed to be created by writers who thought "strong woman," meant a woman who acted like a man.

This!  I'm also sick that they are all skinny, have long flowing perfectly coifed hair, have a black belt in Karate with the skills of an Olympic gymnast.

One of the things I liked so much about Molly is that she's an ordinary everyday woman with common sense.  And mad deductive reasoning skills.

• Love 7

Remember Gus DID redeem himself, followed up and arrested Malvo.  His Lieutenant and Chief Bill cut Malvo loose even AFTER seeing the picture of him from the security camera.  I don't think we can blame Gus for all the following violence between the stop and his subsequent arrest.  (I don't think anyone actually was killed in between the traffic stop and the subsequent arrest except the dog)

I can't hang any of the rest on Gus - he tried to arrest the guy and was denied based on lack of evidence.

Very good point. I still think that regardless of what you or I might think, Gus had a hard time forgiving himself for letting Malvo go that first time, and felt that he and only he could be the one to make it right.

Lester had a two week head start and only ended up in Montana? Why not someplace further?

Montana's big. As a native Montanan, I loved that he got to die in my state. And so fitting, for a character that just runs from mess to mess, he literally could run no further. Such love for that scene. 

• Love 2