Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Morton's Fork

• Start Topic

This week's title:

Morton's Fork is an argument used by John Morton, Archbishop of Canterbury, who decided that if a man lived well he was obviously rich and could therefore afford taxes, but if he lived frugally then he must have savings and could therefore afford taxes.

It's used as a rhetorical device to claim anything someone does will have the same unpleasant end result, although the reason it occurs will be different. 

• Love 12

Let me be the first to say, "For gods sake Gus DO NOT pursue your hunch!"

Worst hunch pursuer ever. This will not end well.

bosawks (luv your name!), I know what you mean and Lord knows Gus was never cut out for law enforcement. But his instinct NOT to pursue Malvo during their first encounter, even though it's haunted him throughout, did lead to him surviving and meeting Molly. So, that was a good thing. But, in the end, yes, I gotta agree: Gus, just tell Molly who you think you saw, and let her deal with it.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Let me be the first to say, "For gods sake Gus DO NOT pursue your hunch!"

Worst hunch pursuer ever. This will not end well.

I was so relieved last week when Gus didn't try to follow Malvo in his little mail truck, but yeah, the episode description has me afraid. I want Gus and Molly, his daughter, her dad, and the new baby to live happily ever after. Don't do it, Gus! Leave the hunch pursuing to Molly. She's much better at it.
  • Love 1

Almost the best thing about tonight's concluding episode, is that I have NO idea what all will transpire. 'Have lots of ideas and things that I'd like to see happen, but the Show has done such a good job of surprising me with the unexpected all season . And that's a high compliment.

• Love 2
(edited)

Deal or No Deal!  PERFECT choice for the Gus' family viewing!  This show gets sooooo many small details precisely correctly.

Well, it seems we weren't meant to take the literal depiction of no ticket for Linda.  Too bad.  That was fun sleuthing, though! 

So much had to fall properly for Malvo to keep operating the day after.  That Beamer would have stuck out like a sore thumb against the Bemidji snow.  Loved that he knew the FBI protocols and where to get the codes.

Granddaughter points weapon in the direction of Lou?  I took it as foreshadowing.  An experienced gun person would nevereverevereverever have chosen that.  

And the surviving Hobbits gather in their den...

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 3

Thank goodness Gus, Molly, her father, and Greta survived. I was holding my breath after Key and Peele got taken out. I even felt scared for Bill and the deputy. Not many people can face evil and survive.

Both Malvo and Lester met fitting bad ends. I am very satisfied. It was justice for all the people they murdered and the families that they destroyed.

Yeah, Molly gets to be chief. I wonder if they will do another mini-series eventually. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Malvo gasping back to life had me believing he might be super human.  For a minute.

I was kind of hoping to see Chazz being set free.

Edited by Suzysite
  • Like 1
  • Love 6

Oh my god, there were so many moments where I literally jumped and yelled during this episode.   

Gus was the heart of this show  I thought it was Molly all along, but it was really Gus all along---he faced his fear, and he made things right in the end.   I loved how both Gus and Lou thought of their daughters every time they were faced with something scary.     

Simply great onscreen death for Lorne, and Lester was like the ever-ready bunny--he never freaking gave up.   The bear trap was brilliant.

OMG, the agents names were Pepper and Budge?  Seriously--those two were awesome.

Every character had a good moment tonight---the chief realizing a quiet mind is worth more to him than the boss's job.    The car salesman saying "I'm sorry" when it is too late to the agents.    Gus...omg  Gus...for some reason when he was circling Malvo's house I was sure we were going to see a wood-chipper out back.

I loved Lou sitting all night on Molly's porch with his shotgun.

Wonderful finale--just perfect.   I wish I knew what happened to the Grocery King and his ransom but otherwise I'm highly satisfied.

• Love 8
(edited)

Gus can go to hell too.  I understand him wanting to kill Malvo but his not reporting it got those 2 FBI agents (and probably that car guy) killed.

I have to admit being impressed with Lester getting the jump on Malvo.  The bear trap was awesome and I'm glad (though surprised) that Malvo got his.  Mr. Bad Ass was taken down by Lester and Gus the dumb cop.

Lester deserved death too but I was really hoping he'd get taken down and arrested.  He got off easy.

I do love Lou and Greta together.

Very good finale.  I hope this show comes back in a new form next season.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 7
(edited)

The young car salesman was Lester's insurance customer from the first show - -the one Lester scared away with his overselling!  With the pregnant wife.

Guess they had a little girl :-)

Looks like Malvo let him go.  Good!

And how did Lester get his stupid orange coat back - hell, Linda was wearing it and it had a gunshot hole in it!  Did he go out and buy another stupid pumpkin-coat to go on the run?  Yeesh!

Edited by The Wild Sow
  • Love 8

Whose house was that, where Malvo hid out?

In real life, would Gus be charged with some kind of crime, since he was not a police officer and couldn't claim self-defense. I don't care about his action not being legal, you understand, just curious.

Oh, god, I didn't realize it was the bear trap. I thought Lester had shot Malvo in the leg. He did get off one shot, no, before his gun jammed?

Did the used car salesman die, or did Malvo just drop him off in a ditch. I thought that when he mentioned his daughter Malvo would give him a pass, as he did Gus at the beginning of the series.

Are we supposed to think that Lester fell into the same hole that the two hit men dropped one of the characters into way back near the beginning. That haunted me, his complete helplessness as they fed him headfirst into the ice hole.  

• Love 2

Oh, god, I didn't realize it was the bear trap. I thought Lester had shot Malvo in the leg. He did get off one shot, no, before his gun jammed?

Chekhov's Bear Trap!  But unlike a bear, a man has manual dexterity and opposable thumbs, and doesn't need to chew his own leg off - he can simply open the trap.  I did a helluva lot of damage to Malvo's leg though - ouch!

Malvo ducked and Lester missed - he shot the mattress.

Not the ending I expected.  The good guy with a gun never follows through. 

I liked Molly's story about the glove but I don't know how it relates to Lester.  It was obvious she knew he was responsible for Linda's death.  So is she saying that if he hadn't arranged Linda's death, he would have had two gloves -- getting off scot-free for the death of his first wife, and living happily with his second? 

Help me out here, folks.

• Love 2

I liked Molly's story about the glove but I don't know how it relates to Lester.  It was obvious she knew he was responsible for Linda's death.  So is she saying that if he hadn't arranged Linda's death, he would have had two gloves -- getting off scot-free for the death of his first wife, and living happily with his second? 

Help me out here, folks.

The IGN review had a good explanation about the glove story.  Basically, it was about a guy being generous and thinking of others, something Lester would never think of.  He would consider himself a victim and gripe about losing that other glove.  Something like that.

• Love 5

Help me out here, folks.

It's symbolic about what type of person Lester is. The person who tosses out the other glove is naturally selfless, happy to let their small loss being someone else's gain. Lester is the type of person who would get bitter and angry at the thought of losing his glove and brood about how unfair it all is. I found it kind of strained to be honest.

I had some problems with the finale, but I mostly liked the season and will be happy if it returns!

At the very least, Gus asking Molly to sit it out should've lead to more of an argument. She let herself get guild-tripped way too easily.

Another problem I had is secretly recorded conversations are probably my least favorite plot device in existence, so I would've liked Lester to get brought down by something a lot less flukey.

And since this is the finale, I might as well register one other complaint about the show as a whole. I'm disappointed that the whole Oliver Platt blackmail plot didn't amount to really amount to anything. It had no impact on the end-game whatsoever. It's like they just needed something to keep their top-billed actor busy for half the season.

• Love 1

The Wild Sow, why do you think this? I must have missed something. But I hope it's true.

Car was gone when Lester looked out the window.  Malvo was by himself, dragging Key and/or Peele behind the woodpile.

And whether the young guy lived or not, I wonder if he ever did get life insurance!

I just rewatched the scene from Ep 1.  Young man & pregnant wife were in the office to get her on his health plan before baby comes.  Lester tells them all kinds of scare stories trying to sell an expensive life insurance policy.  They leave without buying anything. 

• Love 1

Tara - For me, Gus' failure to alert the others of the evil he saw is right in line with the biggest lesson of this giant fable of a series:  It is the duty of good people to shout out when and where they discover evil. 

Yes, Malvo would have inflicted some damage along the way.  However, it would have been nothing near what we got if the good folks just stood their ground and did their duty - the latest, greatest, example bring the FBI agents.  Molly most closely adhered to the challenge/lesson and ended up OK and a true hero.

• Love 6
(edited)

Tara - For me, Gus' failure to alert the others of the evil he saw is right in line with the biggest lesson of this giant fable of a series:  It is the duty of good people to shout out when and where they discover evil. 

Yes, Malvo would have inflicted some damage along the way.  However, it would have been nothing near what we got if the good folks just stood their ground and did their duty - the latest, greatest, example bring the FBI agents.  Molly most closely adhered to the challenge/lesson and ended up OK and a true hero.

This is my big problem and this is why Gus should have faced consequences for his actions.  He got 2, maybe 3 people killed because he didn't do the right thing.  Gus is not a hero.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 7

What did Gus say to Lorne Malvo about figuring it out?  Also, what's with the wolf stopping Gus's car by the red BMW and returning to lick his chops in anticIpation of Lorne's demise.  Lorne looked like he recognized something in the wolf's presence. 

Sooo...Lester wound up as a human popsicle.  I loved that he fucked Malvo's leg up though.  Didn't care much about Key & Peele getting shot, but I did feel awful for the poor used car salesman.

I have to admit that I was underwhelmed by the finale.  Can't say I'm looking forward to next season if it's renewed. 

• Love 2

Still unanswered for me - how do we know the car salesman got away?

Had no idea there was a bear trap; I thought Lester had shot Lorne.

Did anyone else notice, that when Molly said she got to be chief of police, there was a 'yay!' and applause on the game show soundtrack?  I loved the little family at the end, and love the way Grandpa and Gus' daughter already relate to each other.

I didn't have a big problem with Gus killing Malvo. He let Malvo go, he knew it, and he knew others died afterward. So he gets the chance to off Malvo, and didn't think twice about it (yay Gus).  So, maybe legally he didn't have a leg to stand on, but I can live with that. I was afraid that Malvo was wearing a bullet proof vest there for a minute and actually said out lout, "Head shot!"  Guess Gus heard me.

Also liked hearing the buzzing sound, so similar to a woodchooper, but that turned out to be Lester on the snowmobile. Very nice touch.

• Love 4

The car he was driving was gone when Malvo was hiding the FBI guys' bodies. In fact Malvo took their car when he fled.
  • Love 3

What did Gus say to Lorne Malvo about figuring it out? 

He said, "I figured it out . . . your riddle . . . the different shades of green" He was referring to the question Malvo asked him in the hallway of the police station, about why humans are able to see more shades of green than any other animal. The answer is that this visual acuity enables us to spot predators.

As Wild Sow pointed out, one car car (containing the salesman, I believe) was gone. Malvo used the other car to get back to the cabin. I'll have to go back to check whether Malvo made the salesman drive away in the FBI car, or if that was the one he used.

The car he was driving was gone when Malvo was hiding the FBI guys' bodies. In fact Malvo took their car when he fled.

Oops -- jcin17 got there first!

• Love 1

I'll have to trust you guys on the cars. I swear I don't know one from the other.  I just don't pay attention to them, so it never occurred to me that Malvo took another car.

Glad someone brought up the question re green. I'd forgotten about it and was struggling to remember what they had talked about.

I may be retconning things a bit, but the more I stew on it, the more I think Gus made the right decision. He was the last thing Lorne was expecting, and so maybe the only person who could actually take him down. Everyone else who had gone up against Lorne was either law enforcement or a killer themselves, and it's always gone Lorne's way. If he had called Molly back about his hunch, seems possible (if not likely) that he could have talked or fought his way out of the situation, just like he has every time before. Gus knew Molly wouldn't kill Lorne unless Lorne was about to kill her, and Gus couldn't deal with that. "'Surrounded.' 'No, dead,'" remember? This was the only way to ensure Lorne's death, in Gus' perspective.

I'm wondering, too, how the title applies here. What bad situation is inevitable no matter which path you choose? Pepper's and Budge's deaths? (Fits with my theory, at least--Lorne was going to kill them one way or another.) I think it might actually be referring to Lester's death, though. Eventually he was in so deep and hurt so many people that no matter what he chose to do, he wasn't going to make it out alive.

• Love 6

In real life, would Gus be charged with some kind of crime, since he was not a police officer and couldn't claim self-defense. I don't care about his action not being legal, you understand, just curious.

I was wondering the same thing. Gus shot an unarmed man sitting in a chair with a broken leg. I can only assume the report will say that Malvo was armed. I actually thought Gus was going to put a gun in Malvo's hand after he shot him.
(edited)

Aw, poor Agents Pepper and Budge.  Their deaths were enough to make me refer to them by their given names and not just Agents Key & Peele.  They obviously weren't the best at their jobs, but I liked that they wanted to redeem themselves and they were the reason Molly finally got traction with Bill.  But I guess I should count my blessing that they were the only "good guys" who bit it tonight.

Well, I certainly wouldn't have predicted that Lorne would die at the hands (or gun) of Gus, after an assist from Lester and a well-hidden bear trap.  Not sure what to make of that.  One one hand, I loved the shock of him actually pulling the trigger and it is fitting that Gus "fixes" his mistake from way back in pilot.  On the other hand, yeah, there could be a very good argument by not calling the cops and doing it himself, he played a part in Pepper and Budge's death.  I mean, it did look like Lorne left quickly after Gus found out, but calling cops would have at least gotten Molly and the rest in the general area, and maybe beef up security at Lester's place. But I do think it is fitting that Lorne goes down at the person who he'd least suspect.

While I think I would have preferred it if Lester was arrested and had to suffer the same fate he put his brother through, falling into a ice hole was certainly a hilarious and awesome end from him.  Lester died as he lived; by running like a coward.  I just love that despite his posturing and dick-swinging, he truly was a little punk.  Still, he did play a part in bringing Lorne down, so he has that going for him.

My biggest disappointment was I thought Molly kind of got sidelined in this episode.  I get why Gus didn't want her out there and, again, I'm fine with him taking down Lorne, but I wish they found some way to have Molly play a bigger part in Lester's downfall. Again, that might be why I wish he got arrested, because I think I really wanted to see her hauling him away in cuffs, after the way he thwarted her for as long as he did.

Again, I was surprised but happy that Gus, Molly, Greta, and even Lou all made it out in one piece.  As much as I like the darkness sometimes, it is nice when a nice ending happens.  Loved the brief scene with Lou and Greta.  Keith Carradine really did bring a lot to what could have been just a minor character.

Speaking of small scenes, I actually really loved the Bill/Molly scene.  Not just because of Molly getting the offer to be chief, but I thought it did a good job at explaining the Bill character.  Despite my annoyance with him, I never really though he was a "bad" guy, and I thought it did a good job at showing that he's probably a decent fellow, but he really never should have been the chief, or really an officer, frankly.  But it was really well-done and a nice performance from Bob Odenkirk.  Can't wait for Better Call Saul!

Overall, not a perfect season, but this exceeded my expectations in a lot of ways.  By all accounts, this could have easily crashed and burned, and seemed inferior to the film, but while I still prefer the film, I thought this did it justice.  I loved the way it was shot, the cinematography, some great dialogue, and the acting.  Everyone was great, but I really have to single out both Billy Bob Thornton, who probably one of his best (and most fun) performances in quite some time, and Martin Freeman, for completely owning a despicable character like Lester.  I hope both especially get some love come Emmy time.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 13

And everyone lived happily ever after.

Well, except for those who didn't.  Scattered thoughts on an episode I thought was truly satisfying (and I haven't been the biggest fan of this show....just way too much over the top violence for my delicate soul).  Molly looked beautiful tonight.  In every scene.  The lighting was different, and she just glowed.  That little family scene at the end was perfect.  "I'm proud of you, Hon."  "You're afraid of spiders!"  Malvo and Lester both got what was coming to them.  Budge and Pepper deserved better.  Being inept FBI agents shouldn't be the death sentence it was for them, poor suckers.  And I loved the glove(s) on the station platform story.  Of course Lester didn't get it.  He was never anything but a very small little man, even when he found his bravado, it was nothing more than a flimsy shell around his smallness.  

I'm so glad that Molly, Gus, Lou, and Greta all survived. I would have been sad if any of them were killed by Lester or Lorne. I really love how the four of them have become a family. It's clear that Molly and Greta like each other and that Lou and Greta like each other.

Lester was a horrible person but his booby trap with the bear trap was a stroke of genius.

Even though Malvo was a violent killer, I am going to miss his gleeful humor and shit stirring. Between two characters who did despicable things (Lorne and Lester), Lorne was by far the easier for me to enjoy watching.

• Love 3

I don't think there's any one "correct" answer to what the glove riddle means.

It could mean that Lester was the kind of man who was too selfish to give away the second glove. But that's not the only possible interpretation.

Molly said this shortly after she assured Gus that she wouldn't pursue Malvo - and just as she was about to let Lester out of custody. You can read it as Molly being the one giving up the gloves.

She'd spent a long time trying to apprehend two criminals who were mirror images of each other. But one of them (Lorne) was now out of her reach. And she felt it was time to also give up on apprehending the other one (Lester) - and let some other law enforcement type get both of them.

• Love 3
(edited)

thuganomics85 - A corollary to good folks screaming out warnings when they confront an evil (my belief is that this is the lesson of this series/fable) is that good folks do not much care who gets credit for meeting , and hopefully vanquishing, said evil.  One does good for good's sake.  

Molly ends up being proven correct and all LE acknowledges it, she's the Chief, she has a new family that is pretty darn cool, and they are all safe.  Biggest of all, the point of the whole exercise: The evil is eliminated.  She is a very wise lady to accept the darn good outcome she got given what she had been living with for many months.  To me, she got reward enough - waaaaaay more than enough.  Pride would just ruin her.

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 3
(edited)

While I think I would have preferred it if Lester was arrested and had to suffer the same fate he put his brother through, falling into a ice hole was certainly a hilarious and awesome end from him.

I was trying to put my finger on what Lester's demise reminded me of (besides the opening credits of "Get Smart"), when Mr. Spaceghostess commented that it was like the end of Mozart's opera Don Giovanni (based on the legendary Don Juan), when the arrogant title character descends into hell, unrepentant for his wicked, wicked ways. In most stagings, D.G. basically drops into a fiery hole. Lester dropped into an icy hole -- similar to Dante's idea of hell. Whatever it meant, I got a kick out of it, too. Edited by Veruca Assault
Duplicate post
  • Love 3

I liked the finale but it didn't leave me smiling and I'm not sure why. It may be because I watched the late show that wasn't over til 1:00 am. I'll rewatch with the husband and see.

I liked Lester's ending. Was he an eternal optimist or deluded? Glad Gus was retrieved his honor, but really wanted the bear trap to do in Malvo. I guess he's the bear who escaped and died anyway. Lester showed his critical thinking skills with the fox, wolf, and cabbage. I think Key/Peele were testing him to see if he could be a mastermind of his wives deaths. Loved the happy ending for Molly & fam. And this show should win an Emmy for the musical soundtrack. Beautiful! 

It's been nice chatting with everyone during the series. On to season two

• Love 3
(edited)

Great thoughts on the finale.

I was surprised that Molly backed down so easily, but between her father and Gus, she had grown more afraid. I wish she had gotten the chance to take down Malvo, but I think that because she is a good cop, she would have tried to arrest him and he would have killed her. I think that this is exactly why Gus did not call Molly to tell her about finding Malvo.

I am not convinced that Gus calling Molly would have saved the FBI agents. All the cops were on checking out the roads out of town and the FBI back up was still on the way. Even with trying to be cautious, Malvo outsmarted the FBI agents. Molly would have gone straight to Lester's house and she too would have been there when Lorne showed up out of the woods. I think the only people who had a chance against Malvo were the ones who had seen him in full on danger mode.

No way Gus faces a murder charge. Malvo killed two FBI agents and plus, he had that knife that he took from Malvo so he could claim self-defense. Gus was lucky that Malvo was distracted by the wolf when he was sneaking up on him or Malvo would have likely thrown the knife at him, then killed him with the gun or some other means

I am pretty sure that Malvo killed the salesman and dragged his body along with the FBI agents behind the stack of wood. The car missing was just a production oversight.

I was not sure the point of Molly's story, other than some people choose to help others, but Lester did not.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

I was wondering the same thing. Gus shot an unarmed man sitting in a chair with a broken leg. I can only assume the report will say that Malvo was armed. I actually thought Gus was going to put a gun in Malvo's hand after he shot him.

Perhaps Gus wasn't legally justified, although Malvo did have a knife, but it's doubtful that with the body count Lorne left behind he'd be prosecuted by local police or feds, let alone be convicted by a small town jury.

• Love 1

Actually the frozen lake demise of Lester reminded me of a movie that I just love, To Die For, with Nicole Kidman, who comes to a similar, and very haunting, end. 

At first, I was disappointed that Molly didn't get the "glory," she deserved, neither getting to take down Malvo nor Lester. But at the end , when she was obviously content with the outcome, so was I.

I'm pretty sure that Gus' actions weren't legal, given that he is no longer a cop. On the other hand, Malvo has killed, in this series alone, approximately 30 people, so an argument could be made for preemptive self defense. (hey..I made up a legal term!) But I don't know how that works in the real world, so I have to assume that he was somehow cleared of all charges by some legal chicanery or other. Anyway, i'll try not to let it keep me up nights.

I really enjoyed this series. I was wondering if the next series could be the mysterious case in Sioux Falls that haunts Lou. Not sure how it would tie back to Fargo, though, unless they use the Fargo branch of the FBI, like they did this season. Gotta keep the name, doncha know.

• Love 1

I did not like the fact that Molly did not get to take out Malvo. I would have rather seen her coming to Gus's rescue after he tries to go after Malvo.

I would love to see this show return with the same characters as more of a weekly procedural, but with a recurring season long storyline. Kind of like a twisted Northern Exposure.

For me, the title of the episode and the glove story both relate to Lester. The inevitable outcome for Lester is that he will have to take responsibility for what happened. He can work with the cops (and throw his metaphorical glove out the window) or he can cling to the silly idea he will get away with this and as a result more will die and he will be pursued. He picked the selfish and more painful option. Even at the end, he saw the cars and knew he was done. Rather than face the music, he died.

He had many chances to throw his glove out the window throughout the series and each time his pride got in the way.

• Love 9

Gus killing Malvo had to happen---it is his redemption.  If he had been a better cop with more credibility, he might have made his original arrest of Malvo in Duluth stick long enough for them to piece his history together.  As it was, he was a weak cop, and his supervisors immediately dismissed him and believed Malvo and let him go, and Gus had no options--he let Malvo go at the original traffic stop, he couldn't make his arrest stick when he DID bring him in.

This time he had to end it himself--for Greta, and for Molly.   He knew Molly would not stick at the Police station.   If Malvo got away, she'd probably be in the thick of it again.

If he had called in finding Malvo's house right in the beginning, Malvo was already on his way and they only had the Bimidji cops and Budge and Pepper to go after him--it was early morning, he'd ditched the red car for the black one....the best they could have hoped for was more cops would have flocked to Lester's--but they were not great cops--so more people might have been killed or hurt.

I think Gus had to end it with his own hands and he knew it.    I think Colin Hanks did an amazing job with a very difficult character.  Gus can be percieved as weak and not effective--but this was his chance to redeem himself--to make sure his girls would be ok, and to end this threat, and he did it.    If he had picked up Malvo that first time, the list of dead would have been much shorter, and every step of the way, Malvo won out, and more people died.    

• Love 3
(edited)

Truly enjoyed this entire series.  The thing that really stood out for me in this particular episode was what a good actor Bob Odenkirk is - I was blown away by his monologue.  Based on everything I have seen him in before, I did not expect him to be able to deliver that level of sincerity.  Questions for eagle-eyed viewers:  did the guy in the car survive?  Only two bloody drag marks in the snow, so...  Also, Teen-age Son is convinced that Malvo was holed up in the same cottage where Jean was held in the movie.  I think not, but he was convinced...

Edited by Lorimac
  • Love 1