Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E11: The Wheels on the Dog go Round and Round

I've been Tivo and rationing out all the old seasons of the show (loved it so much!) and enjoy the new version too. I think the difference is really that SOME of the messages on the old show were more subtle. And the new show is more lesson-in-your-face. The old show was more-Murphy-in-your-face. I was also struck how, on the old show, there was a woman in a wheelchair in the newsroom. Her desk was by the elevator, and she was just another background person, but clearly in a wheelchair. How sad that we haven't come further on "just so happens" representations on persons with disabilities.... but nice to see that the old show was as good as I remembered.

• Love 7

I feel like some of the declarations of "bad acting" have to do with the delivery of lines.  As I watch the old seasons, the lines were quite quick and snappy.  Obviously the actors are much older, move more slowly, and speak more slowly.  To base criticisms on this is just age shaming.  Candice has had a stroke and is 72 and still does a great job.  I can totally believe that she and Avery are mother and son.

• Love 18
2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

I’d buy that Murphy in the Morning is probably supposed to be more along the lines of at least CNN’s early morning news show in the 7-9AM Eastern timeslot (I forget what it’s called), but I’m not sure how it compares to either Fox’s Fox & Friends (which I think Avery’s competing Wolf Network morning show is/was supposed to be like), or MSNBC’s Morning Joe.

Avery's show isn't like Fox and Friends. I can't think of any real world show to compare it to, but we know it is on at the same time as Murphy's. I think you are correct in comparing Murphy's show to Morning Joe

Edited by Sarah 103
12 hours ago, Empress1 said:

There are lots of different kinds of ways to interact with kids (and animals!). Murphy wasn't the crunchy, baby talking, make all the baby food from scratch mom (I cannot STAND baby talk so I'm with her there) but she very clearly built a very loving home for Avery. 

I remember when Avery was born and she was talking to him, wondering if they were bonding yet, and she said something like "I see you have a little hat." So sweet. 

Add me to the list of people who loved Avery loving the dog. I love the actor and the character; he really does seem like someone Murphy Brown would have brought up. 

• Love 20
6 hours ago, Mystery said:

I remember when Avery was born and she was talking to him, wondering if they were bonding yet, and she said something like "I see you have a little hat." So sweet. 

Didn’t she sing A Natural Woman after that? Yes, so sweet!

• Love 9

That was one of my favorite episodes.  When she pulled the sheet over her head during a contraction I almost fell off the couch laughing. And grabbing Frank and Miles and flinging them around.  Hysterical.

• Love 9
10 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

To base criticisms on this is just age shaming. 

Oh, please!  More like bad actor shaming.  I must say that Candice has never been much of an actor, but Frank, Corky, and the rest of the team are nothing to write home about either.  However - I will say that probably some of their stilted delivery is due to poor writing & direction.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I feel like some of the declarations of "bad acting" have to do with the delivery of lines.  As I watch the old seasons, the lines were quite quick and snappy.  Obviously the actors are much older, move more slowly, and speak more slowly.  To base criticisms on this is just age shaming.  Candice has had a stroke and is 72 and still does a great job.  I can totally believe that she and Avery are mother and son.

Word. I'll never get the complaints about this show. Honestly. I figure it's in part due to viewing this show through rose tinted lenses. Only seeing the show as what it was and not what it is now. Is it perfect, no, but it's not trash. The actors are doing a good job and I'm proud of that and appreciate the show as it was back then and what it is now.

• Love 15
3 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Didn’t she sing A Natural Woman after that? Yes, so sweet!

Yes, I think so.  And later, there was a montage done to Barry Manilow singing I Am Your Child, showing Avery at different stages of life.

ETA:  I found it:

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 7
55 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

Yes, I think so.  And later, there was a montage done to Barry Manilow singing I Am Your Child, showing Avery at different stages of life.

ETA:  I found it:

Why Barry Manilow, you ask?  Because Murphy Brown couldn't stand his music.  BUT...Avery loved Barry Manilow when he (Avery) was a baby!  :o) 

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, CatsAndMoreCats said:

Why Barry Manilow, you ask?  Because Murphy Brown couldn't stand his music.  BUT...Avery loved Barry Manilow when he (Avery) was a baby!  :o) 

It'd be fun if the reboot made some more reference to that, or got Manilow for a guest spot or something :D. 

• Love 7
On 12/7/2018 at 11:21 PM, Sarah 103 said:

Avery's show isn't like Fox and Friends. I can't think of any real world show to compare it to, but we know it is on at the same time as Murphy's. I think you are correct in comparing Murphy's show to Morning Joe

Well, the writers keep making up similar shows to Faux News Channel shows that are supposed to be on the Wolf Network—like Haggerty might be supposed to be a cross between Hannity & Fox & Friends (since the name is similar & it had 2 males & 1 female hosting). Plus, I rewatched the last 3 eps last night on the CBS app & they said something about the Wolf Network having started the Fake News stuff & discrediting legitimate journalists—all the stuff involving the MSM that’s happened during the current administration.

Oddly enough, I may have hit the nail on the head with the Morning Joe comparison. Murphy said their show would be pre-empted on Thanksgiving for coverage of The Thanksgiving (she may not have said Macy’s) Parade & The National Dog Show. Although those shows air on the main NBC network & not MSNBC (except the dog show repeats on either MSNBC or CNBC), which is where Murphy’s show should be airing since it’s a cable show.

Although the weird thing is they seem to be basing Murphy’s show on an MSNBC show, the show doesn’t (I don’t think) air “fluff” pieces like about the dog adoptions, & Murphy Brown airs on CBS.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add comments and fix miscellaneous typos.
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

Word. I'll never get the complaints about this show. Honestly. I figure it's in part due to viewing this show through rose tinted lenses. Only seeing the show as what it was and not what it is now. Is it perfect, no, but it's not trash. The actors are doing a good job and I'm proud of that and appreciate the show as it was back then and what it is now.

Ditto. I will never understand hate watchers.  What's the point?  There are plenty of shows I don't care for so why waste time watching them?  Just to complain?  Seems rather silly.

I'm glad it's back, I enjoy it and I will root for Candice at the Golden Globes.  An accomplished lady.

• Love 22

I found it implausible that Murphy, who was not a pet person (or at least not a dog person) for her entire life, was guilted into taking a dog and poof she loves dogs.  I have never been a pet person, and I can’t imagine this changing if one was thrust upon me.  Although I will say if any dog could change my mind, it would be Bennie.  Seriously cute.

I did appreciate that the scene in Texas didn’t portray Texans as stereotypical gun crazies.  But the accents were terrible.

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, QueBueno said:

I found it implausible that Murphy, who was not a pet person (or at least not a dog person) for her entire life, was guilted into taking a dog and poof she loves dogs.  I have never been a pet person, and I can’t imagine this changing if one was thrust upon me.  Although I will say if any dog could change my mind, it would be Bennie.  Seriously cute.

I did appreciate that the scene in Texas didn’t portray Texans as stereotypical gun crazies.  But the accents were terrible.

I think when you're dealing with an emotional connection between two beings, anything can happen at any time.  Murphy questioned whether to continue her pregnancy.  She had never planned to have a child, questioned whether she would make a good mother. She ultimately decided to have Avery.  Look at what a wonderful son she raised, and what a wonderful relationship they have!  I adopted my nine-yr-old kitty when he was a baby, after being shown a photograph of him.  It was love at first sight.  You might ascertain from my user name that I love all cats.  And while that is mostly true, I LOVED this boy the second I saw him.  So yeah, I think it can happen.  It just has to be the right chemistry between the involved parties.  Also, I don't think Murphy is the tough, hard-bitten broad that she wants viewers to think she is.  Crunchy on the outside, maybe.  But soft and mushy inside.

• Love 17

Agreed. My mom was used to having dogs as pets, she'd never really been much of a cat person.

But then my sister told us about a cat that needed a home a few years back, and when my mom went to look at her, the cat came over and promptly settled herself right on my mom's big purse, and that was that. My mom brought her home and became very attached to her, and then after the cat passed away, a number of months later, we took in two more cats that my mom also adores :). Some pets just know how to wind their way into one's heart. 

• Love 14
5 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

That was one of my favorite episodes.  When she pulled the sheet over her head during a contraction I almost fell off the couch laughing. And grabbing Frank and Miles and flinging them around.  Hysterical.

And Frank grabbing stuff from the house that she might need (since she didn't have time to pack) including all of her bras and the good stapler, and Eldin telling her later that there'd been a break-in and they stole the good stapler. 

• Love 14
7 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Agreed. My mom was used to having dogs as pets, she'd never really been much of a cat person.

But then my sister told us about a cat that needed a home a few years back, and when my mom went to look at her, the cat came over and promptly settled herself right on my mom's big purse, and that was that. My mom brought her home and became very attached to her, and then after the cat passed away, a number of months later, we took in two more cats that my mom also adores :). Some pets just know how to wind their way into one's heart. 

My dad "hates" cats; always has. 

About 12 years ago my cousin found four kittens in a cabinet on his boat; they were a couple days old and mom was nowhere to be found (they had moved the boat the day before, so no idea if something happened to her or she just went to find something to eat, and maybe they moved it while she was gone). My cousin brought them home, and his wife and kids took care of them for seven weeks until they were old enough to adopt (my cousin is super-allergic and his wife already had a cranky old cat so they couldn't keep them). Somehow we ended up taking two of them; the boy was my mom's and the girl was mine (I lived with them at the time). That girl cat loves my dad more than anyone, goes to bed with him every night, and spends most of her day on or under his bed. And he wouldn't change a thing. (Also, the boy would sometimes escape the house, and my dad was always the first to freak out that something would happen to him. He had cancer and we had to put him to sleep this summer; my dad's the one who wasn't sure he could stay in the room while they did it.)

But he hates cats.

• Love 13
11 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Well, the writers keep making up similar shows to Faux News Channel shows that rare supposed to be on the Wolf Network—like Haggerty might be supposed to be a cross between Hannity & Fox & Friends (since the name is similar & it had 2 males & 1 female hosting. Plus, I rewatched the last 3 eps last night on the CBS app & they said something about the Wolf Network having started the Fake News stuff & discrediting legitimate journalists—all the stuff involving the MSM  that’s happened during the current administration.

I totally agree that Wolf is supposed to Fox. My point was that Avery's show is nothing like Fox and Friends or any of the Fox shows that I have heard of. 

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Love 1

This episode was pretty funny.  I'm not a huge fan of animals on shows, but I didn't mind it for one episode.  It's very easy to root for Avery.  It's hard to believe that the Wolf network would have tolerated him for so long, even on the morning show, especially if he ended each episode with a liberal commentary.  I'm going to miss the Wolf network stuff, though.  The jabs at Fox News have been funnier than their jabs towards other opponents, which is appropriate for a show about journalism.  

• Love 6
On 12/8/2018 at 9:13 PM, ams1001 said:

My dad "hates" cats; always has. 

About 12 years ago my cousin found four kittens in a cabinet on his boat; they were a couple days old and mom was nowhere to be found (they had moved the boat the day before, so no idea if something happened to her or she just went to find something to eat, and maybe they moved it while she was gone). My cousin brought them home, and his wife and kids took care of them for seven weeks until they were old enough to adopt (my cousin is super-allergic and his wife already had a cranky old cat so they couldn't keep them). Somehow we ended up taking two of them; the boy was my mom's and the girl was mine (I lived with them at the time). That girl cat loves my dad more than anyone, goes to bed with him every night, and spends most of her day on or under his bed. And he wouldn't change a thing. (Also, the boy would sometimes escape the house, and my dad was always the first to freak out that something would happen to him. He had cancer and we had to put him to sleep this summer; my dad's the one who wasn't sure he could stay in the room while they did it.)

But he hates cats.

What a sweet story.  And so very true.  I've always found that many people who claim to "hate" cats, don't...once they spend time with them.  Whether it be a child who turns out to be a cat lover and ends up converting other family members (as in the case of my family lolol), or something like your father's experience... it's sort of a "me thinks thou doest protest too much."  :o)  One kitten purring next to their face, one head butt, and it's the beginning of a love affair.

Not always, of course.  I don't claim that everyone is a closet cat lover-to-be. :o)  But sometimes.  Yes. 

Edited by CatsAndMoreCats
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, CatsAndMoreCats said:

What a sweet story.  And so very true.  I've always found that many people who claim to "hate" cats, don't...once they spend time with them.  Whether it be a child who turns out to be a cat lover (as in the case of my family lolol), or something like your father's experience... it's sort of a "me thinks thou doest protest too much."  :o)  One kitten purring next to their face, one head butt, and it's the beginning of a love affair.

Not always, of course.  I don't claim that everyone is a closet cat lover-to-be. :o)  But sometimes.  Yes. 

I'm a little jealous. She was supposed to be my cat, after all.  She only truly loves me when I house sit. (Not that I would take her home with me; I live alone in a little condo and I work. I'd feel bad leaving a pet home alone all day five days a week. If it weren't for that I'd actually get a little dog.)

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I'm a little jealous. She was supposed to be my cat, after all.  She only truly loves me when I house sit. (Not that I would take her home with me; I live alone in a little condo and I work. I'd feel bad leaving a pet home alone all day five days a week. If it weren't for that I'd actually get a little dog.)

The thing of it is, though, cats are (compared to dogs, anyway) supposed to be loners & pretty self-sufficient. Or so I’ve heard more than once. So if you got a cat, it probably wouldn’t mind as much as you think that you weren’t there more than you were (compared to a dog/most dogs, anyway, who always want out of the house, or back into the house, or they want you to play with them, feed them, or something else).

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

The thing of it is, though, cats are (compared to dogs, anyway) supposed to be loners & pretty self-sufficient. Or so I’ve heard more than once. So if you got a cat, it probably wouldn’t mind as much as you think that you weren’t there more than you were (compared to a dog/most dogs, anyway, who always want out of the house, or back into the house, or they want you to play with them, feed them, or something else).

Yeah, she would probably be perfectly happy on her own most of the day (my parents are retired so there's usually someone around; she still spends most of her time in the bedroom). My other thing with cats is that I hate the whole litter box part and I don't really have a good place to put one in my place. 

11 hours ago, Camera One said:

I'm not a huge fan of animals on shows, but I didn't mind it for one episode. 

He'll appear for the remainder of the season; it's not going to be one of those shows where the character gets a pet and then the audience never sees her/him again.  Now, if they wind up doing a second season, we'll see how often he appears.  But the dog is confirmed to be in the remaining episodes.

• Love 13

I prefer when the pets show up in the daily lives of the characters or at least referred to now and then, "have to get home to walk the dog," "change the litterbox," something. Andy Sipowitz on NYPD Blue took home a dog from a murder scene, the dog had health issues, nothing serious, but it was part of the plotline for one episode, saw the dog one other time, Andy moved twice, got married twice had 3 kids, and the dog was never mentioned. My dogs are always part of my life and everywhere I've worked, people mention their pets at least now and then. But not on tv shows. The pet doesn't have to be part of every episode, just walk across the stage now once in a while or a character walks in the room holding it or comes in the front door with the dog on a leash, you know, just normal part of pet ownership.

• Love 7
On 12/8/2018 at 11:48 AM, Gemma Violet said:

I guess this is a dumb question, but how are dogs who are paralyzed like Benny do their business?

Not an expert, but since no one has answered ... AIUI, depending on a dog's injury or condition, it may have problems either keeping stuff in or letting stuff out.  Dog diapers exist.

• Love 5

I'm surprised that no one yet has mentioned that Murphy did indeed have a dog when she was a kid.  A Golden retriever named Butterscotch.  There was an episode when Jim and Doris had to put their dog, Trickster (sp) down and the gang was trying to get him to grieve.  Ever had an intervention at his house.  Murphy ended up crying about missing Butterscotch.

• Love 6
On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 2:51 PM, illdoc said:

Anyone catch who played the health inspector? I kept thinking it was Peter Scolari, but then something would make me think not.

When he first appeared on the screen, I said "Yikes!  Peter Scolari is looking old!".  Funny that Julia Duffy was just on an episode of "The Cool Kids", playing someone very similar to Stephanie Vanderkellen.

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 11:48 AM, Gemma Violet said:

I guess this is a dumb question, but how are dogs who are paralyzed like Benny do their business?

It depends.  Some are able to handle it themselves (a co-worker had a dog with back legs that didn't work, but could still go potty), and some need help "getting it out", while some have trouble "keeping it in".  As was mentioned upthread, doggie diapers do exist.

• Love 3
On ‎12‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 10:56 PM, UYI said:

*My market does--WJLA-TV, the ABC affiliate in Washington, DC, is a Sinclair-owned affiliate. I think their biggest affiliates are that and WBFF-TV, the FOX affiliate in nearby Baltimore. 

WBFF is the Fox station I get; those editorials really pissed me off.

• Love 1

Since we will see Benny again (probably in smaller doses) and he has pooped where humans prefer he not poop, it would be realistic to see him in a diaper and maybe pants from now on. If he were a bigger dog, they could have messages on the pants, like on T-shirts.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I prefer when the pets show up in the daily lives of the characters or at least referred to now and then, "have to get home to walk the dog," "change the litterbox," something. Andy Sipowitz on NYPD Blue took home a dog from a murder scene, the dog had health issues, nothing serious, but it was part of the plotline for one episode, saw the dog one other time, Andy moved twice, got married twice had 3 kids, and the dog was never mentioned. My dogs are always part of my life and everywhere I've worked, people mention their pets at least now and then. But not on tv shows. The pet doesn't have to be part of every episode, just walk across the stage now once in a while or a character walks in the room holding it or comes in the front door with the dog on a leash, you know, just normal part of pet ownership.

I used to love that Columbo’s big Bassett Hound often appeared riding in the car or being walked on a leash. Dogs are an enormous commitment, it’s like having a perpetual toddler in the house. It’s unrealistic when they just disappear as if they are fish in a tank someplace. And Benny is adorable. 

• Love 6
On 12/6/2018 at 10:48 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

This was GREAT!!!! I love Ben-Hur Benny Brown!!! Avery was SO ADORABLE in his excitement at learning they got a dog! And I loved how Mama Bear Murphy became when she learned what the “E” was for on the cages.

And now I’m worried about next week as it

Hide contents

looks like Avery is leaving!😭😭😭😭😭

OH SNAP! at Avery’s closing and final remarks with the mic drop!

I'm so not happy about next week's preview!

Spoiler

I was thinking that now with Avery unemployed, we would get to see him hanging out more with Murphy and the gang! Hoping it's just some kind of cliffhanger.

Ditto. I will never understand hate watchers.  What's the point?  There are plenty of shows I don't care for so why waste time watching them?  Just to complain?  Seems rather silly

The point is hope. Through a combination of  respect, admiration and nostalgia for the original iteration of show, I've stuck it out through the entire run of the reboot. But up till now, I've frankly found the reboot irredeemably awful. I nevertheless continued to watch in hope that some of the spirit of the original might reappear sometime. In this episode that hope was realized. This was the first episode of the reboot that I found enjoyable. While it still had leaden and cringeworthy moments, it had many more bright shots such as those others have already identified. 

• Love 1
On 12/9/2018 at 5:46 PM, Driad said:

Not an expert, but since no one has answered ... AIUI, depending on a dog's injury or condition, it may have problems either keeping stuff in or letting stuff out.  Dog diapers exist.

I wasn't going to bother with this, but since someone else brought it up,  I thought this immediately, having had a number of paralyzed human friends.  This dog  would probably need diapers, or might need catheterization.  My first thought actually upon seeing the dog was that somebody had already spent enough money on the dog to create that little dog wheelchair, and no way was that dog first on the death list. especially given the cuteness factor.  It didn't have the kind of special needs that made it look weird, stumble, stink, drool, bite, etc.  But I'll be curious to see how they deal with this whole question.  Every disability is unique, not one size fits all.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

I wasn't going to bother with this, but since someone else brought it up,  I thought this immediately, having had a number of paralyzed human friends.  This dog  would probably need diapers, or might need catheterization.  My first thought actually upon seeing the dog was that somebody had already spent enough money on the dog to create that little dog wheelchair, and no way was that dog first on the death list. especially given the cuteness factor.  It didn't have the kind of special needs that made it look weird, stumble, stink, drool, bite, etc.  But I'll be curious to see how they deal with this whole question.  Every disability is unique, not one size fits all.

I was wondering about that too. FWIW I checked out the actual Ari the Therapy Dog's instagram and it doesn't appear he's ever wearing a diaper even in his regular life. So I'm not entirely sure what the story is, but they probably didn't give a wholly accurate picture of what it's like to have a paralyzed pet. I could see a dog that was maybe very loved and cared for with its own wheelchair winding up in a shelter on a death list, because so many times dogs wind up that way due to unfortunate circumstances. Maybe something happened to owner, they died or became incapable of taking care of him anymore. Once a dog like that winds up in a shelter I would imagine they are incredibly hard to place. 

I loved Avery's reaction to the dog! It was so cute! He was so excited just like a little kid. Running upstairs wanting the dog to follow then went down to pick him up telling Murphy they'd need to move, a chair and big yard. It was adorable. 

I loved seeing Murphy conned into getting a dog. Its not that hard though after she learned what E stood for. Its a lot harder to say no after learning dogs are being euthanized.  I loved how she brought him to work and explained what the elevator was. How she got attached by the end of the episode.

It was easy to see where Avery's storyline was going to go as soon as they mentioned the script he was sure he made clear he wouldn't have to read. But I still liked him finally saying all that stuff and quitting. I liked the teacher standing up with desk still on him.

• Love 5

Our dog that we lost in September, was paralyzed in his lower half, for about a year, and then he stopped using his front legs, mostly, this year. He still urinated and pooped, I'm just not sure that he had any control over it. 

• Love 6

Sorry about your loss, Anela. I was ridiculously happy that Avery was fine with the less-than-perfect dog; I was afraid that the writers would make him disappointed after waiting his whole life to have a dog. Bless you for working with yours. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Mystery said:

Sorry about your loss, Anela. I was ridiculously happy that Avery was fine with the less-than-perfect dog; I was afraid that the writers would make him disappointed after waiting his whole life to have a dog. Bless you for working with yours. 

Well said.

Adding to the condolences, @Anela

• Love 1

I add my condolences on the loss of your dog. We do amazing things for our pets because we love them. I moved my mattress and foundation to the floor and slept on it for 2 years because my dog could no longer get up and down, on and off the bed. And I'd do it all over again to have him with me again. It's been over 10 years and I still miss that dog. And I worry about the 2 guys I have now. I can't lift either of them, they nearly weigh as much as I do, they're probably my last dogs, one is only 2 and I expect he'll have 10 or so more years, I just don't know if I will. I did not want a big dog, I didn't want a puppy and I didn't want a Pit Bull, I got a 3 in 1 bonus. But I worry about his future.

• Love 5