Type keyword(s) to search

The Talk in the Media: Letting Other People Talk for a Change

Primetimer
  • Start Topic

Being a talk show host in general is less appealing than it used to be. You have to be opinionated and outspoken to be entertaining, but there's so much pressure to not say the wrong thing these days.

I think most of the women who've been on are good people, but I can see good people like Carrie Ann or Elaine being like, did I say the right thing? I didn't even want to ask this question, but production pushed me! It's not a comfortable place to be in. Carrie Ann sometimes gets called out for stuff on DWTS, but never anything serious. It's much easier for her to judge dancing than to discuss various issues. I'm sure Project Runway is also more comfortable for Elaine. The Talk is still a lot of celebrity chat, but deeper discussions are part of the job.

It's not work I could do myself, but there are people who manage to be fun and aren't scared of backlash, like Brigitte Nielsen. The Talk losing hosts left and right probably make the job less appealing, but I bet ten years ago, it would still be a very attractive gig.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, UsernameFatigue said:

Yes, that is what I meant but didn't express as clearly. IIRC, Elaine said in the leaked convo that she didn't always have the same opinion, or even a strong opinion, on any given subject. I can see how it would be frustrating to not be allowed, in some sense, to have your own opinion but rather be expected to be a spokesperson of sorts. 

I also remember Elaine saying that she did not want to broach the subject of Piers to Sharon, and refused producers' direction to do so. I also remember back when Sharon left, that she said Carrie Ann was very upset to be made by producers to ask the question (supposedly on behalf of a viewer) of why it is OK for Blacks to use the N word. As I recall, Elaine was very rude to Carrie Ann in her answer, to the point of Carrie Ann crying. (She also seemed to forget that Carrie Ann is herself a POC). Sharon said that after that, the hosts decided that they would not let the producers direct them to do something they did not agree with. Obviously it happened again (without Elaine's participation, or Carrie Ann's since she wasn't there that day). 

So I honestly think both Carrie Ann and Elaine not coming back may stem from the producers' actions towards to hosts. I rather doubt if either of them actually trust them any longer. 

I missed the exchange, but caught the aftermath of Carrie Ann in tears and some of the posters here filled me in on the details. Was it just Elaine who was rude to Carrie Ann or did Sharon play a part in it as well? I might be confusing the time Sharon bit Marie's head off for something she said about Black Lives Matter in an off-camera conversation. I don't remember specifically what Marie said, but she apologized profusely to Sharon on-camera for misspeaking and Sharon, being her self-righteous self, graciously forgave Marie. 🙄 That was when the rumors about them not getting along took on a new life and Marie ended up leaving which turned out to be a wise choice for her.

I was disappointed to hear about the producer manipulation, but not surprised. That was an example of when "making sparks" goes wrong.

1 hour ago, catlover79 said:

Remember when the 2019-20 season began, they had a big promotion of broadcasting the show from a viewer's home? Obviously, the pandemic put the kibosh on that. 

I remember that as well. That cracked me up at the end of the commercial when Sheryl would say "Hi! We brought some PIIIIE!!!!". Lol.

17 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Being a talk show host in general is less appealing than it used to be. You have to be opinionated and outspoken to be entertaining, but there's so much pressure to not say the wrong thing these days.

I think most of the women who've been on are good people, but I can see good people like Carrie Ann or Elaine being like, did I say the right thing? I didn't even want to ask this question, but production pushed me! It's not a comfortable place to be in. Carrie Ann sometimes gets called out for stuff on DWTS, but never anything serious. It's much easier for her to judge dancing than to discuss various issues. I'm sure Project Runway is also more comfortable for Elaine. The Talk is still a lot of celebrity chat, but deeper discussions are part of the job.

It's not work I could do myself, but there are people who manage to be fun and aren't scared of backlash, like Brigitte Nielsen. The Talk losing hosts left and right probably make the job less appealing, but I bet ten years ago, it would still be a very attractive gig.

Good point, @RealHousewife. It's high time those who use their platform to spew vitriol get the boot, but the pendulum can swing so far in the other direction that people feel like they have to walk on eggshells in fear of being canceled. 

I'm not entirely sure if she meant The Talk or The View, but awhile back on The Real Garcelle Beauvais said there was a hosting gig she really wanted, but lost out on and she took it pretty hard. However, she now realizes it was a blessing in disguise because she would've been miserable there. The reason I suspected she was referring to The View was because she claimed on Hollywood Today Live (which was a good show BTW) that one of their host's kicked her under the table during Hot Topics. I'm leaning more towards The Talk since she and Carrie Ann were the top contenders to fill Aisha's spot and I could tell she really wanted the job. Then of course the show boarded the Drama Express barely a year after that with the former Mr. CBS not keeping his hands to himself and has been going further down since. As great as Garcelle would've been on the show, not getting the job spared her a lot of headaches. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, rmcrae said:

Elaine would be more suited for The Real imo. They've done a good job of discussing more serious/political issues without losing the "girlfriends" vibe since the start of their show. Plus Elaine came from Teen Vogue so The Real's viewer demo would be right up her alley. And I'd like to see her on a show I actually watch.

100%! The Talk is a lot of celeb chat/pop culture. I do enjoy it, but it's trickier making those topics juicy. The Real feels like me with my sister and girlfriends. They'll talk celebs but also dating, love, politics, racial issues, a little bit of everything. Elaine isn't a familiar face like Carrie Ann, unpredictable like Brigitte, Talk veteran like Sheryl, but she is an intelligent, likable woman. The Real would be a good fit for her. She wouldn't need to create sparks in that environment, just being herself would be great. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, rmcrae said:

Good point, @RealHousewife. It's high time those who use their platform to spew vitriol get the boot, but the pendulum can swing so far in the other direction that people feel like they have to walk on eggshells in fear of being canceled. 

I'm not entirely sure if she meant The Talk or The View, but awhile back on The Real Garcelle Beauvais said there was a hosting gig she really wanted, but lost out on and she took it pretty hard. However, she now realizes it was a blessing in disguise because she would've been miserable there. The reason I suspected she was referring to The View was because she claimed on Hollywood Today Live (which was a good show BTW) that one of their host's kicked her under the table during Hot Topics. I'm leaning more towards The Talk since she and Carrie Ann were the top contenders to fill Aisha's spot and I could tell she really wanted the job. Then of course the show boarded the Drama Express barely a year after that with the former Mr. CBS not keeping his hands to himself and has been going further down since. As great as Garcelle would've been on the show, not getting the job spared her a lot of headaches. 

Yes! Most of us agree Sharon had to go.

Garcelle has enough headaches dealing with those damn Housewives. lol

I'm so curious who we'll get as replacements. 

• LOL 2

Speaking of The Real I hope we hear something about it returning soon too.  

I'm wondering who The Talk will actually be able to get to actually fill a co-host slot at this point. Anyone signing on would be boarding what is a sinking ship at this point.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, catlover79 said:

This article sheds more light on Elaine's departure and that they expect to have at least one permanent co-host in place by the time the new season begins. The season premiere is now set for Monday, September 13. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/elaine-welteroth-leaving-talk-exits-cbs-show-1624927%3famp=1

Thanks for the link, @catlover79

19 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

100%! The Talk is a lot of celeb chat/pop culture. I do enjoy it, but it's trickier making those topics juicy. The Real feels like me with my sister and girlfriends. They'll talk celebs but also dating, love, politics, racial issues, a little bit of everything. Elaine isn't a familiar face like Carrie Ann, unpredictable like Brigitte, Talk veteran like Sheryl, but she is an intelligent, likable woman. The Real would be a good fit for her. She wouldn't need to create sparks in that environment, just being herself would be great. 

19 hours ago, Jaded said:

Speaking of The Real I hope we hear something about it returning soon too.  

I'm wondering who The Talk will actually be able to get to actually fill a co-host slot at this point. Anyone signing on would be boarding what is a sinking ship at this point.

If the reports turn out to be true, I wouldn't be surprised if CBS announces Victor Cruz as the new host either tomorrow or Friday. 

16 hours ago, catlover79 said:

Their season is set to begin Monday, September 20:

https://thereal.com/videos/season-8-premieres-monday-september-20th/

Thanks for that great news! 🥳 I got nervous thinking they'd been canceled. Can't wait to see them all back together in-studio. 🙂

Edited by rmcrae
Silly me. I somehow overlooked that you meant the Monday after next. 😳
  • Love 2

You're welcome! The Real seems to be the little talk show that could. It always seems to be under the radar, but it's developed quite a following over the years. Good for them.

Agree about people being hesitant about signing on for this show. I don't even see Sara and the rest of The Conners making their usual appearance ahead of their season premiere - and this year their season premiere will be live!!

I was rereading some of the press from this past year and am now convinced that things really unraveled when John Redmann stepped down as showrunner after the 2019-20 season...after being there since Day One. Other than Holly and Leah's ousters after Season 1 - there were only three defections under his watch (Aisha, Julie and Sara). Two of the three exits were noncontroversial. So, five departures in the span of a decade. After he leaves and the two women producers (whose names escape me but they were also there from the beginning) got promoted, five departures happened in the course of a year!!

It seems that John Redmann ran a tight ship but he steered it smoothly. I wondered if he would have made the hosts ask the questions to Sharon that ended up imploding everything.

• Useful 3
3 hours ago, UsernameFatigue said:

I only remember the exchange being between Carrie Ann and Elaine. In fact I don't even remember if Sharon was there that day. Carrie Ann did say that it was a viewer question, but also said that as a POC herself, she also wondered. She said (to paraphrase) that Asian people, herself included, have been the target of racial slurs, but they would never use those words in reference to each other. I don't even remember Elaine's answer, as she was so rude in her reply. Especially considering she was talking to someone who is also a POC and has experienced racist comments and prejudice. 

Edited to add - I thought Marie was not invited back, not that she left because it was her decision? 

Thanks for the answer, @UsernameFatigue!

As for Marie, it's possible she wasn't asked back, but I think she left on her own. IIRC she signed on to do another show with one of The Talk's previous showrunners along with a few other gigs that wouldn't have allowed her to remain on the show. Kind of like Aisha Tyler's reason for leaving the show back in 2017. 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

You're welcome! The Real seems to be the little talk show that could. It always seems to be under the radar, but it's developed quite a following over the years. Good for them.

Agree about people being hesitant about signing on for this show. I don't even see Sara and the rest of The Conners making their usual appearance ahead of their season premiere - and this year their season premiere will be live!!

I was rereading some of the press from this past year and am now convinced that things really unraveled when John Redmann stepped down as showrunner after the 2019-20 season...after being there since Day One. Other than Holly and Leah's ousters after Season 1 - there were only three defections under his watch (Aisha, Julie and Sara). Two of the three exits were noncontroversial. So, five departures in the span of a decade. After he leaves and the two women producers (whose names escape me but they were also there from the beginning) got promoted, five departures happened in the course of a year!!

It seems that John Redmann ran a tight ship but he steered it smoothly. I wondered if he would have made the hosts ask the questions to Sharon that ended up imploding everything.

Exactly. I remember when people looked down on them as this little "ghetto" show and now look at 'em. Winning an Emmy and interviewing politicians. Look at God! 😁

Can somebody lure John Redmann back? PLEEEEASE?! 😔

• Love 2
1 hour ago, catlover79 said:

Their season is set to begin Monday, September 20:

https://thereal.com/videos/season-8-premieres-monday-september-20th/

Thank you!

I had checked the social media of the ladies on The Real the week before last and didn't see any mentions of being excited for a new season or anything. I was worried after those rumors concerning Nick Cannon's show.

1 hour ago, rmcrae said:

Thanks for the link, @catlover79! A part of me thinks they should take another week off, but they may as well return on Monday and get it over with.

If the reports turn out to be true, I wouldn't be surprised if CBS announces Victor Cruz as the new host either tomorrow or Friday. 

Thanks for that great news! 🥳 I got nervous thinking they'd been canceled. Can't wait to see them all back together in-studio. 🙂

I was scared they had been cancelled too.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, rmcrae said:

Thanks for the answer, @UsernameFatigue!

As for Marie, it's possible she wasn't asked back, but I think she left on her own. IIRC she signed on to do another show with one of The Talk's previous showrunners along with a few other gigs that wouldn't have allowed her to remain on the show. Kind of like Aisha Tyler's reason for leaving the show back in 2017. 

Yes, and I don't doubt Marie sees it all for the best now.

• Love 2

Well, I’m out. I wanted to give the show a chance for once with Sharon finally removed, but they screwed the pooch--royally. Even if they hire Victor Cruz for the fifth seat, that will be disappointing, too, because it means the show will be imbalanced with only two women on the show (one of whom is a non-entity). Just cancel it, jeez. They can't do anything right.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Even if they hire Victor Cruz for the fifth seat, that will be disappointing, too, because it means the show will be imbalanced with only two women on the show (one of whom is a non-entity).

Victor Cruz would probably rather keep at his spot on E which is wise. I don't see anyone wanting the fifth seat at this point anyway. I'll stick around and hope for the best, but things continue looking bleak around here. 

15 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Well, I’m out. I wanted to give the show a chance for once with Sharon finally removed, but they screwed the pooch--royally. Even if they hire Victor Cruz for the fifth seat, that will be disappointing, too, because it means the show will be imbalanced with only two women on the show (one of whom is a non-entity). Just cancel it, jeez. They can't do anything right.

I know!! This isn't even a shell of what the show was anymore. 

On 9/1/2021 at 7:06 PM, catlover79 said:

This article sheds more light on Elaine's departure and that they expect to have at least one permanent co-host in place by the time the new season begins. The season premiere is now set for Monday, September 13. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/elaine-welteroth-leaving-talk-exits-cbs-show-1624927%3famp=1

Does anybody have the real tea on why she is leaving? I liked her a lot but the Sharon Osbourne implosion and the pandemic took away her shine in my opinion.  She had potential and depth to be really great in time.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
35 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

Does anybody have the real tea on why she is leaving? I liked her a lot but the Sharon Osbourne implosion and the pandemic took away her shine in my opinion.  She had potential and depth to be really great in time.  

I think the aimless structure of the show along with the awful ratings and BTS drama were the main factors behind Elaine's departure. She might've seen the writing on the wall and just decided to cut her losses. Sad to see her go. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, rmcrae said:

I think the aimless structure of the show along with the awful ratings and BTS drama were the main factors behind Elaine's departure. She might've seen the writing on the wall and just decided to cut her losses. Sad to see her go. 

Agreed, and I think that's why Carrie Ann left as well. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I always thought they needed a news person of some sort after Julie Chen. Of course, you can debate if either were news people but in general they were in the news business. I thought this when Julie left but then they went in a totally direction with various host and now they even have men at the table. I might have watched this a few time but mostly with the original cast. I haven’t watched it years. I am curious if Natalie will take more of a lead role since she has more experience in this genre or if they will continue with the un-funny Sheryl Underwood?! It’s funny but I had to look up the exact spelling of her name and then saw of their other new female host. I literally have no idea who she is or what she has done. All that said, I still won’t be watching the show even when Natalie joins. 

They say there’s no place to go but up, right? While “The Talk” is still down compared to its performance in 2020, the show saw significant growth week to week in Women 25-54, tying “Days of our Lives” with a 0.39 rating to place 11th. In fact, “The Talk” beat “GMA3: What You Need to Know” in both Women 25-54 and Women 18-49 rating for the first time ever (not including ties).

Compared to the prior week, “The Talk” was the only daytime broadcast series to see gains of +10,000 viewers or higher. The daytime talker which just announced its fifth and final permanent co-host on Monday increased week to week with 1.442 million viewers tuning in (+50,000). 

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 4

Sharon was FoxNews last week to bemoan how she was ruined by cancelled culture.  She doubled down on her defense of Piers Morgan and even though she was over at that network, you could tell that she was not comfortable there for many reasons that are off-topic.

• Useful 1
58 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

Sharon was FoxNews last week to bemoan how she was ruined by cancelled culture.  She doubled down on her defense of Piers Morgan and even though she was over at that network, you could tell that she was not comfortable there for many reasons that are off-topic.

She must've been promoting her little "documentary" about how she got her just due. I read that Carrie Ann is in it and Sharon invited Sheryl and Elaine to be interviewed and they wisely declined. If the ratings of her little show with Piers in the UK (also called "The Talk") are anything to go by that mess will probably sink like a stone too. She can kick and scream all she likes, but she's still a non-factor.

Edited by rmcrae
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, rmcrae said:

She must've been promoting her little "documentary" about how she got her just due. I read that Carrie Ann is in it and Sharon invited Sheryl and Elaine to be interviewed and they wisely declined. If the ratings of her little show with Piers in the UK (also called "The Talk") are anything to go by that mess will probably sink like a stone too. She kick and scream all she likes, but she's still a non-factor.

Why did Carrie Ann participate in that farce? I love her but she can be so naive about certain things.  Sharon will alter whatever she said to push her agenda.  Why can't Sharon move on?  She has more money than she will ever spend.  She has 3 granddaughters via her son and her eldest daughter who has never gone public is expecting her fourth  grandchild.  She is still healthy and still vibrant to do whatever the hell she pleases.  Why prolong this?  What will she get out of it because nobody is checking for her.. She got fired from a job, people go through with this every day around the world and they don't have millions to fall back on like she does. Has she forgotten how Julie left the show. Not to mention,  Marie Osmond Holly and Lea were fired as well. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Pearson80 said:

Why did Carrie Ann participate in that farce? I love her but she can be so naive about certain things.  Sharon will alter whatever she said to push her agenda.  Why can't Sharon move on?  She has more money than she will ever spend.  She has 3 granddaughters via her son and her eldest daughter who has never gone public is expecting her fourth  grandchild.  She is still healthy and still vibrant to do whatever the hell she pleases.  Why prolong this?  What will she get out of it because nobody is checking for her.. She got fired from a job, people go through with this every day around the world and they don't have millions to fall back on like she does. Has she forgotten how Julie left the show. Not to mention,  Marie Osmond Holly and Lea were fired as well. 

Sad but true. I understand supporting your friends, but there's a difference between that and excusing or defending their bad behavior. Carrie Ann was watching everything unfold from home like the rest of us and nothing about the segment itself was "unacceptable" (as Carrie Ann calls it on that 4 part snoozefest). Sharon has only herself to blame. She can never let things go or be happy about the good things in her life because she's a nasty, miserable person. Folks like that stew in so much bitterness and hate they couldn't find "the light" if you gave them a flashlight. 

I like that no other show or channel is wasting their time with her. She can soak up her 15 seconds and slip back into obscurity where she belongs.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, rmcrae said:

Sad but true. I understand supporting your friends, but there's a difference between that and excusing or defending their bad behavior. Carrie Ann was watching everything unfold from home like the rest of us and nothing about the segment itself was "unacceptable" (as Carrie Ann calls it on that 4 part snoozefest). Sharon has only herself to blame. She can never let things go or be happy about the good things in her life because she's a nasty, miserable person. Folks like that stew in so much bitterness and hate they couldn't find "the light" if you gave them a flashlight. 

I like that no other show or channel is wasting their time with her. She can soak up her 15 seconds and slip back into obscurity where she belongs.

Well said! She is going back to England to live full time with OZ so her media blitz about her documentary will soon be over.. Good riddance! 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Pearson80 said:

He was always messy, remember how he did Kathy Griffin.. Not to mention he seems very possessive of Anderson Cooper.

I definitely remember. He was being his usual messy self stirring the pot, but his little joke went on for too long. I like Jerry on the show (when he's not on 100), but he's not carrying the show imo. Natalie and Sheryl are the anchors for me. 

• Love 1

Sharon was being dragged on the internet for supporting Kanye.. She is upset that she is being called a racist, you would think that after the Piers Morgan incident she would stay out of stuff that does not affect her or her family personally. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

Sharon was being dragged on the internet for supporting Kanye.. She is upset that she is being called a racist, you would think that after the Piers Morgan incident she would stay out of stuff that does not affect her or her family personally. 

I'm guessing the ratings from her "documentary" hit below sewer level so she has to do something else to get attention. She knows exactly why his White Lives Matter shirt is offensive. She's just hitching her wagon to his BS for 3.5 seconds of attention. 🙄

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, rmcrae said:

Here's a review of her "intellectually undercooked" (I'm using that from now on) waste of time "documentary" (not surprised the likes of Meghan McCain agreed to be interviewed since she's just as bitter and obsessive about her former workplace as the witch): https://jezebel.com/sharon-osbourne-to-hell-and-back-cancel-culture-1849587321.

Megan is always throwing jabs at her former co-hosts and nobody over there cares.. She is still fighting with people on twitter making dumb statements and getting dragged for them.. 

That picture of Sharon in the article is terrible she needs to stop the surgeries stat!

I love the shade thrown at Sharon's show..

Edited by Pearson80
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

No idea, but I had noticed this show was airing--re-running--a lot of shows with guest co-hosts on the schedule. I don't think the ratings are much better, I haven't watched any of this season, so I wouldn't be surprised if changes are coming.

I'm glad to see they might be looking at Victor Cruz again-- he and Baldoni were the ones they should've picked to begin with if they were going for male co-hosts. Only other person I've seen that I like is JoAnna Garcia-Swisher. Her, Morales, Cruz, and Underwood + one other would be better than what they've had the past couple of years, imo.

On 6/27/2023 at 1:36 PM, Badbea99 said:

Has anyone heard whether the show has been renewed for the 2023-24 season?

No. I watch iCrime with Elizabeth Vargas during that time and almost forgot about this show. I hope they come back. It'd be unfortunate if they got canceled now since they wouldn't be able to do a goodbye show.

On 6/27/2023 at 1:51 PM, TheGreenKnight said:

I'm glad to see they might be looking at Victor Cruz again-- he and Baldoni were the ones they should've picked to begin with if they were going for male co-hosts. 

I miss Hot Jesus. 😔 

• Like 1