Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E01: The Fastest 2 Minutes in Cooking

FormerMod-a1
  • Start Topic

12 hours ago, HunterHunted said:
13 hours ago, Totale said:

Speaking of Whole Foods I'm not sure they are sponsoring this year.  There are only two in KY, one on the outskirts of Louisville and one somewhere in Lexington. They will be visiting other places in the state and I'm not sure they can work WF in. I don't believe they were identified or plugged in the shopping segment last night. I've been to the Louisville Whole Foods, but not often, and while I'm fairly sure that was where they shopped I'm not certain.

13 hours ago, biakbiak said:

It’s definitely WF, while they didn’t highlight it and used nonbranded bags you can see WF branding throughout the store.  

I watched it again. It was absolutely a Whole Foods. The show tried its best to obscure the Whole Foods logos throughout the store, but caught a very clear shot of it on the back of the clerk's vest as he was checking people out.

Yes, they are still a sponsor.  There is no way in hell anyone cooking at a Top Chef level would be shopping at Whole Foods otherwise.  How many times have the cheftestants been frustrated by the poor quality of the meat/fish or produce, for one.  I don't think there are many Whole Foods in South Carolina either and they filmed there anyhow.

These days the willingness of the various cities to become sponsors themselves is a big influence on where Top Chef films.  You did notice that the Kentucky Tourism Board is a sponsor of this season?

Two articles:

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/life/food/2018/05/09/top-chef-2018-may-cause-economic-boost-kentucky-tourism/442058002/

http://www2.philly.com/philly/food/top-chef-philadelphia-hosting-the-show-means-cities-pick-up-part-of-the-tab-20180305.html

ETA:  given that the cities pay to be used as locations, you'd think they'd push harder to have more Top Chef shopping sequences be done in local markets rather than Whole Foods.  That alone convinces me that Whole Foods is still very much on board, just like Hidden Valley Ranch.  Speaking of endorsements I had to laugh at Brian Malarkey using every Monogram appliance in the kitchen (complete with useless digital hoo-ha) to make roasted chicken and cauliflower hash.  Sell it!

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 4
On 12/7/2018 at 3:19 AM, sATL said:

I would admit Kentucky surprised me.... I would have suggested Nashville if the theme was to be in the middle southern states and/or cities that are smaller than the prior 15 seasons.

Louisville has been on my travel wish list for a while now. “Best Bars in America” on the Esquire channel did an episode in season 2 in Louisville and it made the culinary scene look sophisticated and fantastic. I dig under-the-radar cities, especially ones with cocktails in the mix.

When I saw TC was filming there I was pumped.  I’m sure they will showcase local restaurants and chefs that I can use for future planning.

Edited by StrictTime
Wrong channel
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

I don't think there are many Whole Foods in South Carolina either and they filmed there anyhow.

They are all over the place down there. Mt. Pleasant, there’s one near Folly Beach, greater Charleston, etc. 

@StrictTime, you will love Louisville. I went there many times on business trips, there is a lot to do and see. Try to plan a trip around opening day at Churchill Downs. :)

• Love 2
13 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

There is no way in hell anyone cooking at a Top Chef level would be shopping at Whole Foods otherwise.  How many times have the cheftestants been frustrated by the poor quality of the meat/fish or produce, for one.  I don't think there are many Whole Foods in South Carolina either and they filmed there anyhow.

Plenty of chefs shop at WF, not for their restaurants but that’s more of a price issue than a quality issue. All of the complaining about the ingredients I can remember were not actually from WF, the main complaints about WF was that they were out of an ingredient a chef needed which makes sense given that they don’t want to show complaints about a sponsor.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, tvfanatic13 said:

Is anyone able to watch LCK? I cannot on any platform. 

I watched it on AppleTV (using the Bravo app). The only annoying thing was that it showed up as "most recent episode" for *Top Chef*-- and within 5 seconds of starting it I knew who left first! (I was trying to watch TC, not LCK!)

14 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I'm sorry to hear that Gail won't be on much this season.  I just saw her on "The Rachael Ray Show", though.

It looked to me like they were shopping in a Whole Foods, although it was hard to tell.

I sure hope we don't get a season full of big egos and conflict.  I really like this show much better when it's all about the food.  Although I didn't really love last season.  I didn't think it was all that harmonious between the chefs for a while, and at least one contestant seemed to have sour grapes about being eliminated and one seemed to begrudge the "bears".  At least that's how I remember it, although I'm not 100% sure about that.  Plus there was Fatima's subsequent cancer.  I did love Joe Flamm, but the season was a downer for me.

Last season seemed to have a pretty tight knit group, though. The chefs are regularly still cooking together; even the ones who seemed to have "sour grapes" such as Claudette. Obviously my heart goes out to Fatima but seeing how all of the contestants and Padma have supported her made the season better for me. 

Edited by bobbobbob199
  • Love 7
21 hours ago, bluepiano said:
On 12/7/2018 at 6:33 AM, skipnjump said:

Churchill Downs made a great setting for the season opener. And then there's Kentucky bourbon. Also, though it's one of the few states I haven't visited, I hear parts are really beautiful. And then there's the bourbon. And horses. And bourbon. And Fort Knox. And bourbon.

The only thing I know about Kentucky "cuisine" is the Hot Brown Sandwich, originated in and named for The Brown Hotel in Louisville, one of those iconic old American city hotels that's fortunately still around.

The countryside of Kentucky is beautiful-I did the bourbon trail a few years ago. I’m excited to see them at Makers next week-while not the fanciest bourbon (I love bourbon) it is a beautiful distillery. It has a gorgeous Chihuly ceiling piece. And I spent about six hours at Churchill (no racing) before going to the Brown Hotel for a hot brown. And derby pie-I gained six pounds at that lunch  

On topic-no one stands out as a jerk & that is why this show is great. I enjoy the tall guy from Boston & the two female southern chefs. I’m a DC person so I’m rooting for Eric. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, bobbobbob199 said:

Last season seemed to have a pretty tight knit group, though. The chefs are regularly still cooking together; even the ones who seemed to have "sour grapes" such as Claudette. Obviously my heart goes out to Fatima but seeing how all of the contestants and Padma have supported her made the season better for me. 

Thanks, that makes me feel a little better.  I didn't know that about Claudette.  I knew that the "bears" were still friends and had done events together, even heard some talk of joint ventures together among them, which was nice to hear.  My heart is still breaking for Fatima, though.

• Love 2
On 12/6/2018 at 9:45 PM, cooksdelight said:

Since I’ve moved, I have my local cable and they don’t have Bravo. Anywhere I can watch for free???

Did you find a place to stream it? All I can think of is Amazon, but it’s not free. 

On December 7, 2018 at 12:18 PM, Madding crowd said:

The chef with the white glasses is Graham Elliot formerly of Masterchef. I have a soft spot for him because I had the best meal of my life at his restaurant in Chicago which has since closed.

I liked this episode and outside of ‘must take charge’ chef, liked everyone else. So far anyway. Also liked Padma’s Shorter hair.

Graham is getting chubby again...shame after all that work he did.

Sorry to see they are going antagonistic with this group. Ever since Marcel I am happier when they are collaborative or neutral.

• Love 4
On 12/8/2018 at 12:00 AM, Tawdry Hepburn said:

Ack! So hard to watch Chef Caitlin's elimination tonight. The biscuits are her signature dish and they are really truly amaaazzzing. We've dined at her restaurant and my husband and I both think her biscuits are the best biscuits we've ever had. Really a shame.

There are two very important things that comprise a successful Top Chef contestant:

• Being a talented and creative chef
  • Being good at the game

Caitlin wasn’t able to adapt to game play quickly enough. (Meaning figuring out how to make something that will be great on the four judges’ plates.)  Mr. Play it Safe is another good example of someone who better figure out the game in a hurry. 

9 hours ago, Gbb said:

Did you find a place to stream it? All I can think of is Amazon, but it’s not free. 

TV isn’t free. It costs a lot of money to make it, even Top Chef, so they’re going to do their best to make sure people who want to consume their product pay for it one way or another. Even if that payment is in the form of our time being forced to watch advertisements. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, stewedsquash said:

I hope the private chef does well  just because he is kind of self aware about being portrayed as the jerk and seems to want to overcome it.

yeah he started off seeming like the purely ass-hat guy, but I think his saying that doing ravioli would be hard was meant sincerely, as advice (as he turned out to be right). 

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

am in the group that is confused by the low key branding of WF in this episode, if it is WF. 

It’s definitely WF but they probably aren’t sponsoring this year since there are only 2 in Kentucky and since they are traveling through the state they probably won’t be going there a lot.

• Love 1

I wonder if the more low key Whole Foods promotion is due to its Amazon ownership.  I wouldn't be surprised if now being under the Bezos umbrella means that they don't need/want to buy the placement like they did in the past.  But I know absolutely nothing about the workings of bizness.

That tomato cobbler was ill served by grape tomatoes, like someone above mentioned.  You need a tomato with less skin per square inch of tomatoey goodness.  That chef seemed like a nice person, and she had the cutest sprinkle of freckles on her nose, but she deserved to go home.

Brian Malarky's glowing white chompers scared me in his commercial.

• Love 4
On 12/7/2018 at 4:19 AM, sATL said:

I would admit Kentucky surprised me.... I would have suggested Nashville if the theme was to be in the middle southern states and/or cities that are smaller than the prior 15 seasons.

Having lived in Kentucky for eight years, I never saw or felt there was really a uniqueness to their food. Honestly, fried chicken and barbecue was all I really saw as being "Kentucky" food. There was the traditional Southern style stuff that you find in most Southern States but nothing really stood out. And believe me, the Kentucky Derby is really for tourists and celebrities. Most horse people from the Lexington area never go to the Derby...they stay home and host Derby parties that are well catered and informal affairs. I think the Kentucky office of tourism must have made a real push for this show to be filmed here...I would have expected Nashville too to be a contender since they have a very strong restaurant scene and a bevy of up and coming chefs making their mark in Nashville. 

Another place that would have been an excellent place to showcase cuisine and a strong restaurant scene would have been Santa Fe, New Mexico. With its blend of cowboy culture and food, Mexican culture and food and Native American culture/food/influence, it is a unique place that blends all these things into their food scene. Not only that, the rich history of the region and the spectacular scenery of New Mexico in that part of the state is unparalleled.

Having said all of this, I must say I find the show to be boring now. I think they need a some fresh faces hosting it and fresh chefs as judges and mentors. Padma and Tom are becoming dull...Padma is just a fashion plate and eye candy at this point and Tom is ho hum. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, kicksave said:

Another place that would have been an excellent place to showcase cuisine and a strong restaurant scene would have been Santa Fe, New Mexico. With its blend of cowboy culture and food, Mexican culture and food and Native American culture/food/influence, it is a unique place that blends all these things into their food scene. Not only that, the rich history of the region and the spectacular scenery of New Mexico in that part of the state is unparalleled.

I'm wondering if there's any reason they couldn't shoot in Canada, because either Toronto or Montreal would be a great setting for a season. Beautiful cities, exciting food scenes, interesting places to shoot in the surrounding regions. I would say the same for Vancouver, but as a Seattle-area resident I'm still annoyed about what a poor job they did showcasing northwest food and culture in their Seattle season.

I do like the idea of Santa Fe, maybe including other parts of New Mexico. A focus on southwest cuisine would be a nice change. How many seasons have been set in the south, with all the barbecue and smoked/grilled meats? (Lots of that in the Texas season too).

But since apparently the deciding factor is sponsorship money, I guess we'll have to wait for the New Mexico tourism agency to pony up the dough.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, bluepiano said:

I'm wondering if there's any reason they couldn't shoot in Canada,

I guessing (but this is just a guess) that it's because there's a Top Chef Canada.  Same as there's a Top Chef Mexico.  They've done episodes of U.S. Top Chef in Canada and Mexico and other countries but I have a feeling the seasons themselves have to remain based in the U.S.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 3

Man, I wish I liked whiskey/bourbon/etc. because that bourbon wall in the kitchen is AMAZING. I love it. What a fantastic idea.

It's nice to have this back! Ever since season 12, I've said this show now feels like a comfortable pair of old shoes. I just ease into an hour of cooking and mild trash-talking, and then go about my evening soothed. 

The chef who's really caught my eye so far is Eric. I want to learn more about your West African culture, sir! Bring it to the runway! I also like Nina, and I surprisingly like Big Blond 'Bama (don't remember her name), so I'm interested to see what she does next. I also like Sarah, although I think that's more I want to drink in the bleachers with her than anything else.

Nothing personal, Nick Elmi guy, but although I'm sure you'll be sticking around for a while, I won't be rooting for you. Still bitter over your boss's win. Sorrynotsorry.

• Love 7
32 minutes ago, Rai said:

Nothing personal, Nick Elmi guy, but although I'm sure you'll be sticking around for a while, I won't be rooting for you. Still bitter over your boss's win. Sorrynotsorry.

I had actually forgotten about Nick Elmi. When the new guy mentioned that he worked for the S11 winner, I was like wait, what? Another Philly chef won?  I had to look it up, and then went, “Oh. That guy. Right.” :/

• Love 6
13 hours ago, bluepiano said:

I'm wondering if there's any reason they couldn't shoot in Canada, because either Toronto or Montreal would be a great setting for a season. Beautiful cities, exciting food scenes, interesting places to shoot in the surrounding regions. I would say the same for Vancouver, but as a Seattle-area resident I'm still annoyed about what a poor job they did showcasing northwest food and culture in their Seattle season.

I do like the idea of Santa Fe, maybe including other parts of New Mexico. A focus on southwest cuisine would be a nice change. How many seasons have been set in the south, with all the barbecue and smoked/grilled meats? (Lots of that in the Texas season too).

But since apparently the deciding factor is sponsorship money, I guess we'll have to wait for the New Mexico tourism agency to pony up the dough.

Maybe they don't feature any Canadian cities because it would conflict with Top Chef Canada? And you're so right about the Southern cities that they've done over and over with the barbecue and grilled/smoked meats...yawn. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, kicksave said:

Maybe they don't feature any Canadian cities because it would conflict with Top Chef Canada? And you're so right about the Southern cities that they've done over and over with the barbecue and grilled/smoked meats...yawn. 

I hadn't thought about the conflict with Top Chef Canada. You're probably right.

If you watch Food Network, the meat thing is even more dominant there. It's like, "how can we fill this programming slot? I know, let's go to a barbecue competition." Over and over again.

6 hours ago, Rai said:

So much this.

• Love 5

I live in Louisville, and it has become, in the last decade or so, a real foodie town . Fried chicken and BBQ are the least of what is offered these days.

I don't eat meat anymore, and I miss the Hot Brown, tho I've had plenty of veggie/vegan versions that are ALMOST as good. I live two blocks from the Brown Hotel, where it originated, and when I actually made Hot Browns, I'd just go in there and they'd let you buy a quart of so of their mornay sauce (I don't pretend to be a chef, top or bottom or otherwise) cuz it's so freaking good. I could drink it.

Edited by luna1122
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Kentucky Hot Brown sandwich. Yummylicious!

I think that's something that is a Louisville specialty...I lived in Lexington and never heard of it there or saw it on a menu. I hope they go to Berea and highlight the Berea College Inn and restaurant. Best Southern food in the state and all student run. Beautiful town and college campus. The most delicious baked ham and spoon bread I've ever had.

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, kicksave said:

I think that's something that is a Louisville specialty...I lived in Lexington and never heard of it there or saw it on a menu. I hope they go to Berea and highlight the Berea College Inn and restaurant. Best Southern food in the state and all student run. Beautiful town and college campus. The most delicious baked ham and spoon bread I've ever had.

I know of a couple Lexington restaurants that offer it, but it's still pretty Louisville-centric, as it was created here. Bobby Flay comes to Derby sometimes, and he fell in love with them and used to offer them on some of his menus in some of his restaurants, but I don't know if he does anymore. It's definitely still fairly exclusive to the area.

8 hours ago, kicksave said:

Yes!  My husband graduated from Berea. I really hope they feature it.

• Love 1

I loved going to Louisville almost every month on business, with the best sales rep who took me to a restaurant for my very first hot brown. Then we went to a little place out of the way near the river called DelFrisco’s. Best damn steak I’ve ever eaten. I happened to be there an extra night when the press broke down in the heat of July and they were waiting for a part (I did on-press approvals, art director stuff) and had some really wonderful BBQ while watching Ricky Scaggs play down by the river. 

Berea College is a very special place, great school.

• Love 5
On 12/7/2018 at 10:51 AM, sATL said:

Agree - on the fool  chef and those damn white classes. I wonder does he see himself on camera/mirror and realize that are are not a good choice

Yeah, Graham Elliot who sports idiotic white glasses AND sneakers to formal events.  He looks like a cartoon character.  

That being said, I was so happy to see TC back on.  I saw it on my playlist and thought it was a rerun of a past season, especially when I saw Blais with his smug self winning the All Stars season.  I think that was the one where his gimmick was sticking his tongue out while plating like he was having some kind of divine intervention.  I'm sure he'll be along to bless us with his stupid comments this season.

I'm liking this group so far, and really like two of the returning chefs in LCK.

Also noticed that not once did any of these real chefs refer to the others as "Amazing Chefs", like the kids in TC, JR do.  The kids must really be fed some lines.

• Love 2

I'm rewatching this episode before they show the second-- I am surprised that Pablo went with Tilapia. I just plain don't buy it, as I associate it with "the cheapest non-offensive fish one can buy." And sometimes it is offensively fishy. But he won his heat, so.....

• Love 3
On 12/12/2018 at 1:31 AM, cooksdelight said:

I loved going to Louisville almost every month on business, with the best sales rep who took me to a restaurant for my very first hot brown. Then we went to a little place out of the way near the river called DelFrisco’s. Best damn steak I’ve ever eaten. I happened to be there an extra night when the press broke down in the heat of July and they were waiting for a part (I did on-press approvals, art director stuff) and had some really wonderful BBQ while watching Ricky Scaggs play down by the river. 

Berea College is a very special place, great school.

i lived in lexington and versailles (pronounced 'versales') and absolutely love hot browns and always make them after thanksgiving.  i make my hot browns with mashed potatoes instead of toast.  they are a big hit here in ny.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, dleighg said:

I'm rewatching this episode before they show the second-- I am surprised that Pablo went with Tilapia. I just plain don't buy it, as I associate it with "the cheapest non-offensive fish one can buy." And sometimes it is offensively fishy. But he won his heat, so.....

For me I wish it were just inoffensive.  As for many others, to me it tastes like dirt, and I will never knowingly eat it.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Brookside said:

For me I wish it were just inoffensive.  As for many others, to me it tastes like dirt, and I will never knowingly eat it.

Me too, same goes for catfish.  Bottom feeders.....

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Me too, same goes for catfish.  Bottom feeders.....

Yeah, I find tilapia inoffensive (but unimpressive) in flavor, and catfish actually unpleasant to eat. I can only stand it when it's spiced and sauced into oblivion. 

• Love 2
On 12/8/2018 at 6:14 AM, bugsmum said:

Very glad Top Chef is back!    And I look forward to the day the Mansplainer packs his knives.

When Chef "Dominate... overly demanding"  laid his hand on Nini's shoulder, someone shoulda stabbed him before he had a chance to discourage Adrienne!

Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 11.54.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 11.54.52 AM.png

I've only had Tilapia a couple of times, but the only taste I could find was the breading, and the sauce.     It's nothing I would ever buy again.   Is that Brandon putting his hands on Nini?     Great way to startle someone who's working next to a stove, or with knives.    

Kelsey (the blonde chef from Dothan, AL) had a watch party for the first episode, and donated all proceeds to the local humane society.      She's a class act.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Great way to startle someone who's working next to a stove, or with knives.    

He didn’t startle her and she wasn’t near a stove or had a knife, they were having a conversation and he very briefly touched her arm for emphasis about something he was saying.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Kelsey (the blonde chef from Dothan, AL) had a watch party for the first episode, and donated all proceeds to the local humane society.      She's a class act.

And she’s a great all-around lady, a friend of mine. 

Bossy Brandon got on my last good nerve. I was glad when he didn’t get a win in the elimination challenge. 

I’m still learning names. Caitlin was the right one to go, nothing worse than a soggy bottom biscuit. It will do nothing but bring you constant sorrow.

:)

• Love 3
On 12/7/2018 at 12:31 PM, GoGamecox said:

I'm so happy TC is back! 

My boyfriend almost fell out of his chair when they kept showing Padma in her white jumpsuit. I was more focused on her face, trying to figure out what looked different. Facelift? Fillers? Whatever it is -- she looks gorgeous! 

It was bothering me all episode. I'm pretty sure she's had a nose job. Very subtle, but her nose (especially in profile) looks smaller. I don't like it. I think she looked better before.

On 12/7/2018 at 2:27 PM, AnnA said:

Bravo should have done a google search before selecting the guests' wardrobe.

image.jpeg

So the official dress code is cheap, slutty and tacky?

Obnoxious Brandon, unfortunately, reminds a lot of my nephew -- physically only, though my nephew's better looking and not an asshat.

Caitlin's dish sounded super gross to me. Tomato pie, alone, sounds gross to me. Yuck.

• Love 1