Type keyword(s) to search

All In With Chris Hayes - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I agree! Chris deftly pivoted his questioning technique when it became clear that Ahmed was going to just answer the question asked, no elaboration.  So we still got a full picture of what happened without Chris putting words in his mouth (which is a thing that happens all. the. time. with other interviewers). Plus, Ahmed's delight about the nifty MIT invite was freaking adorable.

I finally got to see the interview which took forever!  I didn't get home until 11 and stupid MSNBC didn't repeat Chris last night and the MSNBC website sucks!  But I finally got to watch it. 

Man, when Ahmed said that he didn't think anyone would support him because of who he was and the joy in his face when he knew he did have support was just beautiful.  All the tears. 

• Love 1

Chris continues to have great guests. Although maybe great isn't exactly the way to describe the Trump supporter in NH that was the rally from hell on Thursday.

She insisted that Mr. Trump only spoke the truth and it's only the media that won't cover it that way.

John McWhorter is usually the Conservative African-American Man on these types of shows, or at least the moderate one who always sticks with the middle of the road on just about every issue.

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 1

I remember John McWhorter being on some of the weekend shows and I can't remember if his patronizing contrarian bit was part of his persona then.

It was. I could never stand him and this appearance didn't make me change my mind.

I loved Chris's glee over the MacArthur Genius Grant list! Pretty awesome for him--friend of the show (Ta-Nahesi Coates), high school friend (Lin-Manuel Miranda, creator and star of Hamilton), and aunt (Alex Truesdell), all on the list.

• Love 3

You know Michael Steele....and Jeb!.....some of us do blame W for the 9/11 attacks because of the way that he and his administration ignored all the warnings and intelligence briefings that were given to them.   I'm glad that Sam Stein (??? I think that was him) kept to his guns on that point.

• Love 5

Sheesh, still was in full alternative reality mode in that interview and, even better, getting indignant that people weren't acknowledging his assertion that 2+2=22.

Best part: when he yelled about liberals never blaming Bush for 9/11 until now. Dude, do you know anything about Sam Seder's career? I'm sure there's a basic summary of his radio career that mentions how he did ask if the Bush administration was negligent many times. Heck, asking if Bush was negligent was such a common thing that it appeared in Al Franken's book, the guy who spent time establishing that he's a centrist and not one of those crazy lefties until he realized that it was the crazy lefties who were based in reality.

Best part: when he yelled about liberals never blaming Bush for 9/11 until now.

I know!  Seriously.   There is party loyalty and then there is just living in your own reality.

Oh, yeah, Sam Sedar.  I got my SS's confused.

Chris shows a poll of likely Iowa caucus voters and well over 70% say they like Carson because he doesn't know anything about foreign policy. 

Why are the crazies in Iowa important?  They're not realistic and the Iowa caucuses should be thrown out. 

• Love 1

Chris shows a poll of likely Iowa caucus voters and well over 70% say they like Carson because he doesn't know anything about foreign policy. 

Why are the crazies in Iowa important?  They're not realistic and the Iowa caucuses should be thrown out. 

That whole list of things he showed was mind blowing.  The thing about Iowa is that it really runs the full gamut from far right to far left, so if we throw out the GOP caucuses we'd need to throw out the Democratic ones as well.  I mean seriously, where else could someone like Joanie Ernst replace Tom Harkin in the Senate.  (Sheesh, that still stings.)

• Love 3

When Chris has to be forced to have Steve King on, and put up with his racist nonsense.  Sigh.

Why oh why does MSNBC think we the folks that still watch, want this, I don't understand.  It feels like they are intentionally trying to drive us away, and where do they expect their ratings to go if they do?

• Love 5

The next time I'm trying to remember why I tend to give McKay Coppins side-eye, I hope I'll eventually remember how he tried to say Carly Fiorina's insistence that the imaginary anti-Planned Parenthood video in her head really existed was nothing like Donald Trump insisting that something he imagined is also real.

• Love 2

I love Chris and his show but to be shallow for a moment, boy does he need a stylist to give him a makeover. Those glasses have to go. The darkened lenses and the ill fit just don't suit him at all. The hair could use a new do too. Also, it seems like his lips have gotten more pinched and he looks so sour and grim most of the time. Loosen up Chris, smile and be pleasant and confident and remember your stuff is good - it earned an Emmy - but a little bit of charm could attract a few new viewers that you so desperately need.

Great interview tonight with guy from NH Manchester Union Leader.

It seemed like Chris had a hard time not laughing with some of the crazy "facts" the paper had on the reasons for endorsing Chris Christie.

• Love 1

That was a really great report Chris did on the reproductive rights fight.

And, I only saw the end of the interview but wow that was interesting.  You know one interesting thing about the President - he can deal with more than one fight at a time - ISIS and Climate Change. 

That interview was amazing. It's a wonder anyone would take the NH Manchester Union Leader seriously with a fact-divorced editor like that.

ETA: And an extra set of rolled eyes for using the phrase "crazy ex-girlfriend" in the old, misogynistic way and not ironic or to set up a reference to a Crazy Ex-Girlfriend song.

Edited by Wax Lion
  • Love 2

Last night was a reminder that while I want to like the idea of a filmmaker like Spike Lee, he's frequently unbearable. Using a constantly-raised voice like Hayes were personally attacking him instead of giving him a chance to discuss and respond to critics was one thing but things like "Why would Jennifer Hudson do this?" (I don't know maybe people are complex and have different reactions to things?) were really cheap counter arguments.

I really enjoyed Chris's coverage of the Cosby arrest. Having MHP weigh in was, to me, especially valuable: "It takes 57 'she saids' to equal a single 'he said'."  Rage inducing, and yet, it's progress! Which is also rage-inducing...

• Love 1

So I'm getting caught up from being on vacation and the Christmas eve episode with Steve Kornacki talking to Frum... I tried to give Frum a chance but the first thing he said was that the Tea Party is misunderstood and everyone forgets it was a populist movement for maintaining government programs. No, you dummy, did you think Rick Santelli's rant about paying for the losers was about Medicare? There's still no reason to talk to Frum, he's a disingenuous tool who rewrites history to suit his latest argument.

• Love 3

I really enjoyed Chris's coverage of the Cosby arrest.

Especially when he pointed out that everyone always knew. 

I lasted about 2 minutes in the Rick Santorum interview before watching something else.  I am starting to get really sick of the Republicans saying that everyone dislikes Hillary Clinton.  Because, no.  I personally hate all the Republican candidates but I like Hillary.  Also, people must like her more than Rick Santorum because she's still running for President.  And, also, so what.  It doesn't matter if you like or dislike a Presidential candidate - it matters if you think they are qualified for President.  I do know likeability factors into it but I am just sick of everyone saying how much she is disliked. 

And, double shut up Rick talking about governmental overreach - it amazes me when all the most antichoice Republicans are always so concerned about government overreach.

• Love 5

White Republican men dislike Hillary Clinton, so it's all projection, in my mind.

MHP covered the Cosby arrest again Saturday morning and the first thing she did was throw up a photo of Cosby's mug shot - and used the words immediately that came to my mind when I saw it, cognitive dissonance.  I'm so happy that he's finally being charged with something, anything for his untold crimes as a sexual predator, but it caught in my throat for a minute seeing the mug shot.  He was America's dad for a decade.  So many feels, most of them not good.

It's funny. My husband was a conservative when I met him. He voted for W in 2000 but he's now pretty progressive. He hates Hillary Clinton and a lot of the language he uses makes it clear it's a matter programming from years of Fox News fake-scandals.

I loved that Chris reran the segment where he went through the police training because he's so cute throughout it. Overall, it's a great segment but Chris trying to handle those simulations were a hoot.

• Love 1

While I thought the coverage overall ended up being good, I almost skipped the coverage of Trump's Burlington appearance when it began with ten minutes of Trump giving a speech he's given a hundred times on MSNBC.

Uck Chris - really both The Cooch and Rand Paul.  I think he went easy on Paul - he didn't even ask him about running for both President and Senate.

Hee, it did make me laugh that not that long after the interview, Rachel's first story was about his father's campaign broke the law in Iowa when he ran for President during the last election.

Nice to see Sen. Al Franken on national teevee. I am sad that Chris neglected to ask about the possibility of a Frankencourt, however.

(I keep hoping if I continue to put that idea out into the universe, I shall be rewarded.)

• Love 1

Yeah, he had on Jan Brewer tonight.

All I remember is her nasty, birther infected finger wagging in President Obama's face during his first term.

Nasty old, catcher's mitt of a human being, bye, just bye.

And where the hell are the prominent Democrats with all the KKK/Neo-Nazi's arising?  I haven't seen enough of them, they should be on these shows every night. 

Where the hell is Eric Holder to remind voters of his unfortunate connection to George Wallace, who Drumpf has now taken the place of?

As  it was his sister in-law, Vivian Malone along with another young male student, who George Wallace stood in front of to block from entering the University of Alabama. 

Where the hell are these people as a young black girl is tossed around by Neo Nazi's at a Drumpf rally?

I'm being to really dislike Ben Jealous.  I wish he would show his support of Sanders without being so dismissive about Clinton - and I think showing such hatred.  I'm getting the idea his message is I support Bernie because Hillary Clinton is just pure evil.

And, honestly, bringing up her working for the Goldwater campaign as a reason not to support her - she was 17 years old. I'm surprised he didn't mention that during her Freshman year at Wellesley she was President of the Young Republicans.

• Love 4

I kinda see Jealous' point in bringing up Goldberg but in truth campaigning for Goldwater after participating in the civil rights movement is just part of Clinton's journey. I think if you don't think it through, it does seem like a conflict with her support of Civil Rights before and after being a Goldwater Girl.

At that point she was that clueless Republican who was supporting a Republican out of habit and hadn't thought through how the candidate's positions would work against what she actually wants. People like that are really frustrating (see all the young Trump supporters who just seem incapable of processing arguments of why he's not really an independent-minded candidate) but I'd like to think Clinton's journey is something we'd like to see happen to those Trump supporters in the future.

And I get why it's an issue for Jealous. I disagree but I understand. It's pretty common to compare Trump's campaigning and extremism to Goldwater, imagine jumping several decades in the future and someone who campaigned for Trump is arguing that they have a history of advocating for latino immigrants. I wasn't alive for Goldwater's run but from what I've read of, I understand why someone would have a similar "How can you say you've worked for us and campaigned for him?" Considering his line of work, he's probably pretty familiar with the worst things Goldwater said about African-American people.

I think one of Clinton's biggest weaknesses is she resists admitting to being wrong. She'd rather go with a fiction like claiming that Republcans were about to put together a Federal Marriage Amendment if DOMA weren't enacted before admitting that was a terrible thing to advocate. Going from being a Goldwater Girl to the Democratic front runner could be a very compelling story to tell, but I suspect there are too many times she'd have to say she looked at a position in the wrong way to be able to talk about how her ability to understand these issues grew.

Also, I found an episode from when Chris was in Nevada on my DVR and heard a Clinton surrogate bring up the "establishment" attack against Sanders. That one always just sets me in a Madeline-Kahn-as-Mrs.-White rage because it is completely commonplace for politically-aware gay people to rage against the HRC with arguments that come down to "They're too establishment" and when Democrats cry "How dare he attack the HRC like that?" there's a part of me that goes into a "Why don't you talk to actual gay people?" screaming fury.

Was it Chris's show that had [something] "delenda est" last night?  I assume "Trump delenda est", but I can't find it in the online stream of the show.  I love seeing Latin anywhere, and wanted to grab a screenshot.  I don't think it was another show. 

I suppose it's to Chris' credit that he has some real lulu's on as guests like he did tonight with Susan Sarandon but it pisses me off to no end that he gives a platform to some really destructive ideas and doesn't call them out on some of the more ridiculous things they say. Yes he reacted with astonishment at her comment that she'd vote for Trump over Hillary but I expect more from a staunch progressive like Hayes.

I also wish he'd give equal time to some Hillary supporters or even Hillary herself because I find the Sanders people to be really negative and nasty. Sarandon and Ben Jealous and Sanders' campaign operatives that he has on are too busy trashing Hillary to offer any positive reasons to vote for their guy but then again, that's pretty reflective of the candidate himself. Bernie has all sorts of complaints about what's wrong with the system but few realizable solutions to the problems he's always carping about so for lack of being able to espouse his policies, his hench(wo)men just go with trying to cut down his opponent who actually does have positive policy proposals.

• Love 3

I do think his expressions at Sarandon were worth a small bit.  The idea that any true progressive would pick Trump just because they've been indoctrinated in the hateful stew that is the anti-Clinton brigade is hilarious (they lack any self-awareness as they parrot GOP talking points).  They clearly do not understand what is at stake with the SCOTUS, which by the way, Clinton gave a remarkable speech about that nobody on prime-time MSNBC bothered to acknowledge.

• Love 3

Oh, just shut up Susan Sarandon.  Interviews like that make me just dislike Bernie - which isn't fair since its not him but his supporters (coughbenjeolous) are just so annoying.  Criticize Hillary on the issues but acting like she is pure evil is just stupid.  A President Trump (or Cruz) would cause so much damage its just not about the SCOTUS but also every other person that the President appoints or hires in their administration.  The people who really are in charge of our day to day lives.

Daily Beast Article about the interview http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/03/29/susan-sarandon-trump-might-be-better-for-america-than-hillary-clinton.html.  They think he should have brought up that she supported Nadar in 2000.

• Love 4
Oh, just shut up Susan Sarandon.  Interviews like that make me just dislike Bernie - which isn't fair since its not him but his supporters (coughbenjeolous) are just so annoying. Criticize Hillary on the issues but acting like she is pure evil is just stupid.

This is where I stand and as a Democrat I'd like not to feel this way. 

I liked Dan Savage's response and his eye roll, like is she a fucking idiot? Donald Trump's "revolution" vs. Hillary Clinton if your a Democrat, yeah, go sit down somewhere Sue.  

And YES Sue, Obama did take money, tons of it, and has never denied it. But Hayes let you off easy on that one, so you could quickly get back to your Hillary hate.

Now I gotta see her fucking mug all over MSNBC as they like to repeat shit on loop from show to show. Well then please loop Dan Savage's common sense response to her idiocy please.

Clinton gave a remarkable speech about that nobody on prime-time MSNBC bothered to acknowledge.

Nothing, just nothing on it. I saw the speech once and then they did show the questions she was being asked, the media is horrible, and that is something Drumpf and I can agree on, but for different reasons of course. They think I want to see Drumpf and his thugs, no, I want to see Hillary. I want to see the small forums and speeches/quest. and answer events. I'm not interested in seeing on loop how the thugs in his camp are roughing up women, get back to me when they handcuff that motherfucker and throw his ass in jail. Otherwise I don't need to see it on loop. Another thing, I don't care what Trump supporter think, we've heard what they think over and over again, more than any other supporters. Get over it, it's not news that they support him. How many times do I have to see someone ask Katy Tur how she thinks the latest offensive act by the Drumpf and his thugs will affect/sway his supporters? Come on MSNBC, journalist everywhere...

also wish he'd give equal time to some Hillary supporters or even Hillary herself because I find the Sanders people to be really negative and nasty. Sarandon and Ben Jealous and Sanders' campaign operatives that he has on are too busy trashing Hillary to offer any positive reasons to vote for their guy but then again, that's pretty reflective of the candidate himself. Bernie has all sorts of complaints about what's wrong with the system but few realizable solutions to the problems he's always carping about so for lack of being able to espouse his policies, his hench(wo)men just go with trying to cut down his opponent who actually does have positive policy proposals.

This. Don't get me started on Ben Jealous, I switch the channel when he's on.

And the Hillary surrogates, I am not impressed with at all. They rarely get on the air, and when they do, they are just not hitting it out of the ball park.  This is war and Democrats aren't going to win unless we come together. Democrats shoot themselves in the foot all the time and lose. Unlike the Republicans who may shoot themselves in the foot where the presidency is concerned, but continue to wield enough power to shut down the gov't and make life very difficult in MANY states for women and minorities as they control the local gov'ts in the those states. 

I say both the establishment wings of both the Democratic and Republican party do the same thing, take the parties back from the "revolutions" on both sides and start over with who ever is left, even if it cost you the election. Because it's out of control on both sides and I don't like out of control, I have ISIS, that's enough chaos. Both parties need to shut it down.

Edited by represent
  • Love 2

I just love Charlie Pierce.  He should be on every news show. 

Man, that lawyer.  He's already changing his story from what he said to Chris last night.  This morning on Today he said Corey did touch the reporter but that is just because she was attacking Trump and he was just protecting him.  Since he's a former policeman.  And, its his job (which no, he's a campaign manager, not security which means its his job to know who the reporters are so saying he didn't know Fields is also bs).